Type keyword(s) to search

Magnum P.I. (2018) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Thanks for providing that.

And I have been burned too many times thinking a promo was the true indication of what actually happens.  It certainly looks interesting and like 'confirmation' of what we all know is coming (at some point), but I've been fooled before enough to not immediately buy in that its 100% real.

You're very welcome! In my case, a promo could've very well turned out to be everything it's sold, and I'd still be burned. I know I've had my fair share of "shipping" that, once it happened, it was all a big meh, lackluster, disappointing. So, whereas I can't help getting hyped up beforehand, I know It can also come crumbling down.

8 hours ago, Aliferously said:

The Two Seconds can be found on Twitter and I presume Instagram as well. I uh, didn't spend an hour last night gazing at those two second inspired meme / fan art of those two seconds or anything. Nope.

What I also gathered 

Hide contents

It's a scene from the premiere episode. Fairly certain it's a dream sequence, as I'm not sure where Higgy is in the premiere episode but presumably in Kenya for most of it.

And me? Stare at that gif whenever I have a chance? Nope, not at all. The hidden spoiler, it's the only explanation for me too, since she's still away in 4.01. Or

Spoiler

it's the very end of the episode, in a her arriving home scenario, but I find it hard they'd greet themselves that way.

Edited by Lya167
  • Love 1
Spoiler

There's no question its a dream or fantasizing sequence, by one of them.  Considering it sounds like Higgy will still be in Kenya (or another foreign place, doing MI6 stuff) - for at least the first 40 minutes of the episode - there's no way Miggy's first reunion after _ months is that scene.  Absolutely no way.

1 hour ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:
  Reveal spoiler

There's no question its a dream or fantasizing sequence, by one of them.  Considering it sounds like Higgy will still be in Kenya (or another foreign place, doing MI6 stuff) - for at least the first 40 minutes of the episode - there's no way Miggy's first reunion after _ months is that scene.  Absolutely no way.

Spoiler

Yeah, arriving home context or even undercover assignment are definitely out of the question. I have no doubt in my mind this is her dream and she wakes up, in a snap, before any kissing happens. But folks are coming up with all sorts of scenarios on twitter and tumblr. One brought up the idea that this is actually real, first thing in the premiere, but then they cut it and reverse ‘3 months earlier' till it meets that scene again sometime mid-season.

I think this level of closeness and attraction between them caught everyone completely by surprise, no one was expecting to see it anytime soon, dream or reality, especially after the news of Magnum dating, so people are all over the place trying to figure out the context. I, for one, love the idea of them as a couple, so I'm excited to see how this is gonna unfold this season.

• Love 1

As many of you have learned by now, the "fight" sequence that they were

showing in the previews for (at least) the past week, as well as the

"steamy" sequence, was actually an imagination sequence from

Master's latest book entailing "The White Knight" and a new female

British character that Masters loosely based off of Higgins.

Sure enough, the real Higgins spent the entire episode in Kenya.

I hate being "burned" by promos as well, IRarelyWatchTV36.

Can't wait to see what MI6 is planning with Higgins.

Edited by Twilight Man

Sure they had long established that Juliet could fight but the superpowers of fighting off 4 armed men in seconds, not to mentioned defeating Mother Nature and the sun in Kenya was a bit much. On the level of a Robin Masters novel.

12 hours ago, Raja said:

Sure they had long established that Juliet could fight but the superpowers of fighting off 4 armed men in seconds, not to mentioned defeating Mother Nature and the sun in Kenya was a bit much. On the level of a Robin Masters novel.

When she walked in with no weapon and threatened them, I knew a bare-knuckle fight was coming, even though realism dictated that one of the guys would have just pulled out a gun and shot her on the spot.

I enjoyed this episode primarily because Magnum was able to "solve" the case primarily by himself (with some assist from Juliet) and without an ongoing negative commentary from Juliet.  I much preferred that they were in separate world regions and am sorry that Higgins will be back in Hawaii in the next episode.  Really like the three friends interacting with each other without the Higgins character pushing Rick and TC into the background.

Thought the Kenya scenes were well done in terms of creating atmosphere, etc.

Magnum P.I.: S04.E02: The Harder They Fall

While Magnum and Higgins reunite and work the case of a construction worker’s tragic death, TC and Shammy get skyjacked by a pair of drug runners posing as tourists, on the CBS Original series MAGNUM P.I., Friday, Oct. 8 (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS
DB2409CE-B80E-47A0-8712-B083326F764B.jpgI wonder where they put Shammy's wheelchair? Maybe they modified the helicopter to use Shammy's wheelchair as the landing gear.
78A66351-9C42-49E0-BB0A-DF8DD0FB5922.jpg

I have been waiting for TC/Shammy-centric episode for quite sometime, so I really like this one. It’s wise of Shammy to fly away, seeking for professional help instead of trying to rescue TC himself. So TC, what about a 2nd chopper? The views during the chopper ride were breathtaking, thank you show! 🙏🏻

Magnum and Higgins’ Strangers On A Train case was okay. It’s predictable. The only twist was that the Makoa guy was innocent after all.

The awkwardness between Magnum and Lia was quite obvious. If Higgins can sense the truth during first encounter, why can’t Gordie? 🤔

Awww, Rick misses his “wife”, that’s sweet. Not interested in this story though, it’s lame and boring.

No mention of Higgins’ secret MI6 mission. I wonder when it will be brought up again and when/how Magnum will find out about it.

Hey Higgins, learn some boundaries will ya! 🤦🏻‍♀️

72B15C53-2CE3-4F7B-A813-689F7288C3A5.jpeg

Edited by SnazzyDaisy

Warning: super shallow comment ahead...I loved Rick's tropical flamingo shirt!  It made me happy just looking at it.

Always love the scenery and there was some spectacular scenery in this episode.

Preferred it when (just last week) Higgins was far, far away.  

The rerun of Death in Paradise I just watched also had a "Strangers on a Train" plot, so that plot is getting the recycle treatment.

Decided to start watching this as there’s so little that’s new on networks this year. I thought the characters were interesting in any crossover episodes I’d seen last season. Watched the first two episodes and I liked them. Like TC as much as original, but like modern Rick much more than original (seems much more personable, and if the character is still too self-involved, this one is at least humorous as opposed to “self-serving” slimy). I don’t mind new Higgins, and I fear for her future. I don’t think the MI6 big wig (Nessa-Vegas?) is going to let her off with just one favor. She seems to be under the impression that she has Higgins in her pocket-for whatever, whenever. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Daff said:

. I don’t mind new Higgins, and I fear for her future. I don’t think the MI6 big wig (Nessa-Vegas?) is going to let her off with just one favor. She seems to be under the impression that she has Higgins in her pocket-for whatever, whenever. 

Yes that is Marsha Thomason. Since playing the daughter and goddaughter of spies on Las Vegas she seems typecast and plays cops and agents. 🤨 Or I just mostly watch shows with cops and agents.

Vega$ was the 70's Robert Urich PI show and the 2012 Dennis Quaid as the early 60s Sheriff one season and out show.

Edited by Raja
  • LOL 1
4 hours ago, Raja said:

Yes that is Marsha Thomason. Since playing the daughter and goddaughter of spies on Las Vegas she seems typecast and plays cops and agents. 🤨 Or I just mostly watch shows with cops and agents.

Vega$ was the 70's Robert Urich PI show and the 2012 Dennis Quaid as the early 60s Sheriff one season and out show.

Yes, you’re right, I watched both of them. Very much a fan of Robert Urich! (and Avery Brooks, “Spennnsah”, with an “s”, like the poet). 

Just watched The Harder They Fall. I liked it, good script & I’m glad they brought Sammy back. Bad ass dude. He needs to be more involved. More Sammy & less Bobby Lee lol.

Something is telling me Higgins is a little jealous of Detective Kaleo 😂 this might be an interesting season

I find myself asking myself "Self, why do you keep watching shows that make you feel they're more of a waste of time instead of actually caring about them, and have felt that way for the vast majority of over 1.5 seasons of it?".

That's obviously what Rick (& Kumu) and Magnum (& Higgins) felt about TC getting shot in this last episode, so.....

Since we already know the reason behind them keeping the relationship a secret and Higgins knowing about it in the first couple episodes, does that mean Lia - sorry, I mean Detective Kaleo's - screen time is about to become nonexistent?  Meaning what dramatical reason is there for her to get a lot of time now??  Writers showing their astounding amount of talent in killing all that in the span of the very first two episodes of the new season.  Not really unexpected, after watching botched plot lines from previous seasons.

I had a very disturbing thought while watching the first two episodes earlier....  because they are keeping it a secret, Katsumoto will start developing feelings for Kaleo.  And this could happen at the same time that Dr Ethan has broken things off with Higgins, and she'll start the falling - officially - for Magnum.  Creating this super-duper messy quadrangle of a 'love triangle'.  Since its the last thing any sane viewer would want, its almost a guarantee its in the cards.

Oh, and color me very unsurprised if the whole MI6 storyline for Miggy this season - or half-season, whatever - will somehow involve Magnum as the subject of the investigation/mission.  Something to do with his past in Afghanistan, or his connection to Masters, or his dealings with Ivan.  Somehow, someway, Magnum will be the core of whatever MI6 lady has Higgins doing. 

Why else would whatever Higgins needs to do be based in Hawaii?  I'm not saying its too coincidental to be the case, but its pretty much too coincidental.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36

Jin didn't complete annoy me in this one, like usual, but that's thanks mostly to the addition of the niece character.

A simple "caught stealing golf clubs" turns into stealing ivory from a smuggling 'kingpin'.  I mean, sure, why not?   Could happen to anyone.

I think there's a dramatically different reason behind the kid being so desperate to get hired on at La Mariana.  No way its that simple as trying to save up for an old beater, not when the character was just introduced.

I don't hate Det. Lia Kaleo, but its hard to really like or invest anything in a character that's mostly just an endgame ship-stalling device.

Speaking of endgame shipping......  Higgins telling Magnum that Dr Ethan is staying in Kenya for 6 more months, as "Love is what you find when its not what you're looking for" is being sung in the background.  Might as well CGI in a big neon "(impending)Miggy Moment!" sign on to the screen.  Not to mention the constant eye sex they share every time there's a 'moment' between them.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Juliet had fun playing dress-up in this episode (S04.E03). 😘

71473697-739E-468E-9238-8F7680B750A5.jpeg

Better yet, I had fun with her playing dress up as opposed to her P.I. tactical high waist jeans.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Raja said:

Better yet, I had fun with her playing dress up as opposed to her P.I. tactical high waist jeans.

He! Juliet or rather Perdita Weeks is the same body type as the Duchess of Cambridge, who loves skinny jeans. I wish the wardrobe department would give those a try for a change - the bootcut jeans are not a great look.

Decent episode. I agree that there will be a backstory to the kid who hustled for a job. I also like how the 'Cougar' was not treated like a simple stereotype but humanized. She and Rick had a great rapport. 

I am getting slightly tired of Juliet and her magic tablet and hacking skills. In the cold open she grabs the tablet on the coffee table after knocking the mark out with a syringe. Was that her tablet? Did he not think it strange that she brought it along? Was this his tablet? And if so why did it immediately connect to her MI 6 handler? And it took her about 10 seconds to hack from a notebook at the golf club (presumably hers with the magic hacking software and access to countless databases) into whatever files she needed. I know tv-hacking is never realistic and it's a short-cut but the amount of magic hacking this show relies on for its plotting is incredibly lazy. 

• Love 1

I forgot to mention how much I love the magic of television.

Only the 'Cougar' saw Magnum - sorry, LR - "break" the security camera, despite there being numerous people in the general outdoor bar area.  There wasn't even a semi-high or big bush in front of the pole to help disguise or hide his actions.

• LOL 1
38 minutes ago, MountaineerBro10 said:

So how old is Det. Kaleo? Is she officially 30 (Higgin’s claim) or is she 35 (Magnum’s claim)? 

Better yet is she related to a bent Detective Kaleo from Hawaii 5-0?

• Love 1
On 10/17/2021 at 10:57 PM, MissLucas said:

He! Juliet or rather Perdita Weeks is the same body type as the Duchess of Cambridge, who loves skinny jeans. I wish the wardrobe department would give those a try for a change - the bootcut jeans are not a great look.

Perdita Weeks knows how to dress herself, maybe she should give her personal input to the clueless wardrobe team. High waisted, marine straight and fit skinny jeans do not look good on her.

615BB1B6-AA62-4F90-945C-BEE8396FC516.jpeg

• Love 1
On 10/16/2021 at 11:33 PM, SnazzyDaisy said:

Juliet had fun playing dress-up in this episode (S04.E03). 😘

71473697-739E-468E-9238-8F7680B750A5.jpeg

I think she looks adorable in the southern personna garb.  The hat and visor suit her and pink is her color.

I really like this show.  I don't care too much about  plot holes or impossible plotlines in a show like this.  It's not a procedural.  It's more fun and entertains me.

• Love 5

Honestly, watching other dramas makes me appreciate the basic sound storytelling of Magnum P.I. It's not amazing, but it isn't awful, either .Same thing with Hawaii Five-O before it. Eric Guggenheim knows how to do just simple and effective TV storytelling that doesn't make the characters constantly carry the idiot stick or whatever. The downside is that the stories aren't as challenging as other dramas, but hey, it's nice to have some simple fun, as well. 

• Love 9

the latest episode was kind of all over the place. I kept thinking that the suicide story would somehow relate to the car-jacking, but no, they stayed separate. Now Katsimoto knows about Thomas and Lia, so there's no point in keeping their relationship a secret anymore. Juliette's therapist dropped an anvil about her and Thomas. So obvious.

That kid Cade is apparently homeless, and he just lied before when he claimed he just needed to earn money for a car. Maybe he doesn't have any family, or he got kicked out, and he's too ashamed to tell the truth.

• Love 2

The big reveals of the therapy session were predictable but bringing in the main-plot during the session was at least inspired - even if it required a breach of protocol.

Well, we finally met data Juliette and her magical tablet can't hack - social media! Only to be told five minutes later that nerdy kid who jumped right out of TV tropes could do it *eyeroll"

I appreciated that Magnum and Juliette did not want to lie to the victim's parents but waltzing in there and telling them that they suspect foul play came damn near to to telling the parents they were prime suspects - not exactly elegant or smooth.

We finally met Mrs Katsumoto. I liked her enough to hope they get back together. Insta-ship ahoy!

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 2

I will say this about Show, when they need to hit the right emotional beats on sensitive subjects such as presented in this episode, they do it well.

Since the series is shifting towards a much bigger focus on interpersonal relationships, I think we're gonna see Gordon and the ex becoming a 'thing' at times this season ...... or he and Lia 'hook up' after the Magnum/Lia relationship is over.

Cade is either homeless, or really loves his job.  Turns down a reward for returning a purse and then sleeps in the backroom.

So what's going to end the M/L?  Its not a secret anymore - as if it ever really was - so the clock is ticking on that breakup.

If they make the Miggy hints any bigger or more obvious, we're all gonna end up like this poor guy,
baloney-barney-the-dinosaur.gif

• LOL 2
17 hours ago, MountaineerBro10 said:

Curious question; might be a bit too early to ask, but once this season ends in May ‘21 do you think Magnum P.I. will be renewed for Season 5? 

Oh yeah, it's a lock. 

There are so many other shows that CBS is worried about, Magnum isn't one of them. 

• Love 2

This episode's case was only there to shine the spotlight on the series romances.  And they weren't even the slightest bit subtle about it.

The phone call from Higgins to Ethan is his 'Dear John letter', isn't it.  Not even "how are you?", just a serious faced "we need to talk".  Which will likely also start the subplot of Higgins pining for Magnum and because of that, being catty with Lia.  And of course the Magnum/Lia pairing will be starting showing strains so Higgins can parrot his words back at him about love not having to be about choices, etc.

Cool to see TC is gonna be a surrogate parent for Cade, as well as getting a little more clarity on his (TC's) backstory.

Gonna get kinda boring, kinda fast, if the cases are just going to be there to pander to the Miggy anvils they love lobbing at us.

The Good: Higgins plum suit (and Magnum's carefully assorted matching shirt) and the fight scenes. TC figuring out how to help Cade.

The Bad: The complete lack of subtlety in writing. I liked the case of the week, it would have worked pretty well without HMS Magnum-Higgins barging in like an aircraft carrier under full speed.

The Ugly: The writers room not realizing that shipping is not necessary for a successful show (--> Elementary). But that ship has sailed a long time ago.

16 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

The Good: Higgins plum suit (and Magnum's carefully assorted matching shirt) and the fight scenes. TC figuring out how to help Cade.

The Bad: The complete lack of subtlety in writing. I liked the case of the week, it would have worked pretty well without HMS Magnum-Higgins barging in like an aircraft carrier under full speed.

The Ugly: The writers room not realizing that shipping is not necessary for a successful show (--> Elementary). But that ship has sailed a long time ago.

Or just do what I have said since season 1. Produce Hart to Hart in Hawaii with the legacy names from Selleck's Magnum.

• Love 1

Season 4 episode 6 

Devil on the Doorstep.

Was this the first time Magnum wildly outclassed an opponent in a fight only to go old school dark Magnum to issue some extrajudicial punishment? Meanwhile Juliet holds her own going hand to hand with a former Special Air Service trooper.

I liked the episode. It had a nice twist, and I didn't mind the heart-to-hearts between Thomas and Higgins.

And okay...I'm going to wade into the shallow end here...but does anyone else find Thomas's (Jay's) hands sexy? Like, whenever they show a close-up of him doing the lock-picking, I'm mesmerized. 

I'll see myself out.

10 hours ago, Sweet Tooth said:

I liked the episode. It had a nice twist, and I didn't mind the heart-to-hearts between Thomas and Higgins.

And okay...I'm going to wade into the shallow end here...but does anyone else find Thomas's (Jay's) hands sexy? Like, whenever they show a close-up of him doing the lock-picking, I'm mesmerized. 

I'll see myself out.

Let me join you on your way out, as I also am mesmerized by the way Higgins only calls him Thomas now, never Magnum. I'm a shipper, can't help it, tried not to many times, but it's useless... And I loved the episode too, curious to see where this MI-6 storyline is going.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Lya167 said:

Let me join you on your way out, as I also am mesmerized by the way Higgins only calls him Thomas now, never Magnum. I'm a shipper, can't help it, tried not to many times, but it's useless... And I loved the episode too, curious to see where this MI-6 storyline is going.

Seems like we're kindred spirits, then.

Agree on all counts.

• Love 2

This episode had more storylines than the past 3.25 seasons combined...  and that's not a compliment.  This episode was so packed, Kumu couldn't even get a quick cameo in.

Higgins tells the MI6 lady "no more secrets!", but Magnum still getting the "sorry, its a secret" treatment at the end.  Magnum already knows she's ex-MI6 as well as the worst parts of that past, but lets pretend this interpersonal drama between the two is needed or meaningful.  Aggravating.

Haven't seen Magnum so overzealous in beating down the bad guy like that since he hobbled-by-gunshot and punched the guy who shot Higgins at the beginning of last season.

Kinda feel bad for ZK, when his character's only friends - outside the 'ohana' & Katsumoto - are criminals, who usually only bring trouble down on himself and the 'ohana' when a storyline about them comes along.

S04 E05 · Til Death

The COTW was meh. It’s there only to push further the Miggy romance. Magnum told Higgins that love doesn’t have to make sense, and being in love shouldn’t be a hard work. And the next thing she did was to break up with Ethan over a phone call. Err Juliet, don’t you think Ethan deserves better than that?

Magnum restocking Robin’s wine cellar with Aidan’s wine that he regifted to himself was sooooo Magnum!

We always know that TC has a big, kind heart. With similar backstory, it’s not surprising TC will do whatever it takes to help Cade.

S04 E06 · Devil on the Doorstep

I like this episode better than the previous one. The illegal adoption story was interesting with nice twist. I really like seeing Magnum on solo & old school investigation, without Higgins’ OTT hacking and computer skills. 

Don’t care about Higgins, her MI6 handler and their MI6 dramas.

It’s like a déjà vu seeing Yancey Arias playing FBI agent here (he’s an FBI agent in CSI Vegas too). Rick is a soft-hearted guy and he’s known for being too trusting. But who knows, Robbie could be a good guy and that FBI guy was lying to Rick.

Where is Lia? She wasn’t at the station with Katsumoto.

I must be watching too much tv. The moment 'baggy clothes' were mentioned I knew where this was headed. Still solid COTW even though its aftermath will be a nightmare for all involved.

Higgins' MI6 plot is okay for me - it gives her something to do beyond fretting over Ethan or Magnum.

Loved Shammy making a quick exit after he had accidentally spilled the beans on Cade. And the lady in the beauty parlor not letting Magnum get way with his pretty face was great too. I don't see things ending well for Rick. My money is on his friend being innocent but still not making it alive off the island.

• Love 1