Type keyword(s) to search

TDS 3.0: Season Four Talk

• Start Topic

Relatively new viewer to the show...love it.  Did anyone notice how horrible Chris Matthews was in the brief clip they showed of him? 

The show correspondent was in the "spin" room, or whatever they call the room the candidates and the press go to after the debate.  The correspondent (I love him but cannot remember his name) was barking random, silly questions (and some not so silly) at the candidates and other reporters.  Most went along or just kind of looked puzzled and wondered who on earth he was.  But not Matthews; he brushed him off so brusquely that he maybe showed who he really is. If you area well-known or a Washington insider, he is gregarious ... maybe too much .... and friendly.  If not....you are beneath him.  

This brings back memories of a young Colbert and a fairly new Daily Show.  They sent Colbert to one of the conventions...can't remember which election or what party it was.  He used those press credentials brilliantly and hilariously.  Hope last night was planting the seeds.

• Love 2
On 5/23/2019 at 3:38 PM, ABay said:

Ahem. I believe you mean numbchucks...

You mean like this?

ETA: I knew about most of what Roy was talking about on [the always funny] "CP Time" segment. Try to find the collection of Hip Hop Family Tree stories written and drawn by Ed Piskor. He went over the origins of hip hop and rap . . . and that includes the great blackout of 1977 unexpectedly birthing dozens of aspiring DJs with new turntables. Also covered: the "scratching" technique . . . though I think that's different from the sudden (comedic} stop.

Edited by Lantern7

This might have been, I think, the fourth Let's Talk About It segment Trevor has done. But they might be his best segments. There's something raw and personal in the way he delivers them, and last's night's talk about the latest mass shootings was an example of that. He made a lot of sense in the end about why you need to deal with this epidemic of gun violence in America.

• Love 11
5 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

Why did Trevor feel the need to give a two segment interview to anti vaxer not going anywheres loon like Marianne Williamson?

I have no idea, but she's got the stump speech down. I could have filled in for her I've heard her say the same thing over and over. 

Excepting Longoria, the guests have been lackluster as of late. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Thought it was just me who felt this way, though I also enjoyed seeing Angela Bassett because she's one of my favorite actresses.

4 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I have no idea, but she's got the stump speech down. I could have filled in for her I've heard her say the same thing over and over. 

Yes, but can you cough/clear your throat every 10 seconds like she does? 🤣

Between that and the time it takes for her to spit out a damn sentence, I just can’t with her.

I can’t wait for her to start bitching online about not having enough time to answer the questions or how frequently Anderson Cooper Trevor allegedly interrupted her. 

Interesting article about her growing media exposure and how scary it could be:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/policy-and-politics/2019/7/31/20748594/marianne-williamson-debate-democratic-july-2019-depression

Edited by Bridget
23 minutes ago, Bridget said:

Yes, but can you cough/clear your throat every 10 seconds like she does?

That was worse on Real Time if you can believe it. 

I don't really fault her for running. As she said here, I'm not really sure people want to listen to wonky policy debates, and there is a case to be made for saying, "I'll bring moral leadership back to the office." It's just far too early to listen to anyone at this point, which is why we're saddled with her in this interview. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

The congresswoman wasn't holding back. 

Last night's episode, right?  I didn't care for her style last night.  She read from a piece of paper and she pretty much just spewed her stump speech.  I don't even think Trevor asked her but one question.  I like her, but just not last night.  

18 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

She read from a piece of paper and she pretty much just spewed her stump speech.

She read the phone number from a piece of paper, you want to make sure you give right number or you might ruin a normal citizen's life. It is hard to say anything spontaneous when so many people are waiting to criticize every word that comes out of your mouth (just ask Biden).

• Love 1
2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

She read the phone number from a piece of paper, you want to make sure you give right number or you might ruin a normal citizen's life. It is hard to say anything spontaneous when so many people are waiting to criticize every word that comes out of your mouth (just ask Biden).

her staff should have had it uploaded to the TelePrompter.  She was too rehearsed, I'd rather have Biden's natural gaff, than someone who's pulling out a ragged piece of paper to give me a number.  MO.

50 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I thought Roy was going to bust out an "n-word please!"

Wow is Tucker Carlson scum. Good point on Trevor - football stadiums hold over 100,000 people. So, no. 

What Tucker Carlson was saying was essentially true, the funny thing was he was pretending that White Supremacists and Russian interference wasn't extremely problematic to the US and democracy.

18 hours ago, saoirse said:

I'm now looking forward to Roy's look on ALLLL the stories!

Trevor seems to rely on Roy to bring the funny. Dulcé or Jaboukie could also have done that bit.

I love Roy but think some of the other correspondents are a bit underused.

I knew a guy a long, long time ago who referred to blacks as "Leroys" I'd imagine that wouldn't have been too far off for that idiot calling Chris Cuomo a "Fredo".

Loved Roy's reaction to the related race based stories Trevor covered. It would have been far more interesting to get his response of the same racist cop that shot to death an unarmed African American that ran away from him due to a parking violation.

20 hours ago, saoirse said:

I'm now looking forward to Roy's look on ALLLL the stories!

I’m trying to keep up with this on the podcast (“ears edition”) but obviously I’m missing some visuals. Can someone recap Roy’s “look”?

2 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

I knew a guy a long, long time ago who referred to blacks as "Leroys" I'd imagine that wouldn't have been too far off for that idiot calling Chris Cuomo a "Fredo".

True, but I've never heard anyone call someone Fredo. 

14 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I’m trying to keep up with this on the podcast (“ears edition”) but obviously I’m missing some visuals. Can someone recap Roy’s “look”?

it was like a "gurl, pleeeese" look.  Like GTFOH here look.  It was like he came out of the backstage, stood far away from Trevor, gave the "look" and camera went back to Trevor.  They did it twice.  It was hilarious.  and I disagree with a PP, IMO, only Roy could have pulled that off.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I still think de Blasio should admit he's running for President just so he can get away from New York, because he's got no real shot. "It takes a New Yorker to beat Trump" isn't that great of a reason.

I prefer one guest over two appearing. Just my opinion. 🤷‍♀️

• Love 2

I liked that he said he could beat Trump because he was taller. I think Trevor was correct, he could shift policy debates based on his accomplishments in NYC that might make it into the platform, and he might be looking for a more national role. I don't really have a problem with that. 

• Love 1

No show tonight. Apparently Trevor is having some issues with his voice again. Or at least that;s what they want us to believe... 🙂

Edited by wknt3
3 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

any word when Trevor is going to be back?

2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Also, was this week's filler scheduled ahead of time?

According to the show's social media they will back after Labor Day Tuesday 9/3 and this was a previously scheduled hiatus. The scheduled break may be one of the reasons why they decided not to have a guest host last Thursday when Trevor's vocal issues resurfaced and just air a repeat.

• Useful 1
14 hours ago, wknt3 said:

According to the show's social media they will back after Labor Day Tuesday 9/3 and this was a previously scheduled hiatus. The scheduled break may be one of the reasons why they decided not to have a guest host last Thursday when Trevor's vocal issues resurfaced and just air a repeat.

thank you.  All my shows are on break, Trevor, Colbert, View even Kimmel and Fallon.  How am I supposed to get my news?  🙂

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

Big Canadian love to Bianca Andreescu for beating Serena Williams in capturing the Women's singles title at the U.S. Open. The first tennis Grand Slam singles title for any Canadian ever. Us Canucks are proud of her.

And love Chrissy Teigen's calling the president PussyAssedBitch. Way better than Bill Maher's WhinnyLittleBitch.

• Love 2

I think I remember Trump blocking Chrissy Teigan at one point. If you’re blocked, can you still be tagged? 

Side note: I know someone took Trump to court over him blocking people. On Twitter. Basically the claim is, if Trump’s tweets are official, it violates people’s rights if they are unable to read them. Does anyone know if any court ever ruled on this issue? Google isn’t really helping. 

12 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I don't really understand the issue about tagging someone or not. Can someone explain? Does that have anything to do with subtweeting? (which I don't understand either)

I don't use Twitter . . . but I figure that if you're on a stage like that and you're ripping into someone, you should have the decency to tag them, so that they know they're being ripped. Perhaps the president figured John would tell Chrissy. "Hey, babe. The president tweeted about me. It wasn't good." "Did he mention me?" "Wow, funny you should ask . . . "

Dang, how small is "Jay-Why-Dubs"? Jaboukie looks like he could be sent places while crammed in a duffel bag.

• Love 1

I'm afraid someone is going to think having trophy hunts for stray cats and dogs is actually a great idea. You can't really go too far these days, thinking you've reached absurdity, without risking that there's a massive population that has just been waiting for permission to do whatever it is you thought was too awful to be real.

• Love 7

How does one defend trophy hunting with a straight face? Even if there’s overpopulation (which probably never happens), you’d still come off as a prick. Also, you’d be on the same side as DJ and Eric. Nobody with a moral compass and an IQ above 60 wants that.

Great piece from Dulce. “Chipping” people feels all sorts of wrong. Also: what would a Danny DeVito beach towel look like?

• Love 3
10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I don't really understand the issue about tagging someone or not. Can someone explain? Does that have anything to do with subtweeting? (which I don't understand either)

Do you mean, what is tagging? They meant that Trump just said 'his wife' and not 'his wife @ChrissyTwitterName' as if she wouldn't know. So the equivalent of talking behind her back. 

• Love 1
On 9/10/2019 at 11:10 PM, Remlab said:

I think I remember Trump blocking Chrissy Teigan at one point. If you’re blocked, can you still be tagged? 

Side note: I know someone took Trump to court over him blocking people. On Twitter. Basically the claim is, if Trump’s tweets are official, it violates people’s rights if they are unable to read them. Does anyone know if any court ever ruled on this issue? Google isn’t really helping. 

I'm pretty sure the court ruled against trump, he can't block anyone because of his public office position.

I wonder if trump didn't know Chrissy's name.

I the moment I saw the piece on chipping people, I thought, 'oh hell no.'  That's the first step in the government tracking your every movement and really controlling your life.  its bad enough most people already carry a tracking device with them all the time (aka their phone).  Putting a chip inside you?  There's a whole host of 'what could go wrong' ideas I can sure imagine.

• Love 2

Geez, Lou Dobbs. What does the president’s throat taste like? And did American Pharaoh taste the same thing when he chomped on Pence? Wait, don’t answer either question.

if Justice Sotomayor couldn’t answer Supreme Court cases with Trevor, then I guess he kept RBG queries in his pocket. “Is it true she once deadlifted three justices at once? And we’re you one of them? There’s a small betting pool with me and the correspondents.”

Edited by Lantern7