Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Speculation

• Start Topic

AMC has the entire Red Machete series online to watch. Rick killed big bad arse Joe back in the day. The hell that gang brought into people lives he deserved to die. I feel the same way about Negan. He needs a death sentence. Why on God's walking dead earth he let that scumbag live is beyond me. And, to think that all his group are going to slide right into Team Rick lifestyle. Some of those peeps actually enjoyed taking what they wanted and living on the edge, just like Joe. Geez, get with the za program already!

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, WalkerTalker said:

AMC has the entire Red Machete series online to watch. Rick killed big bad arse Joe back in the day. The hell that gang brought into people lives he deserved to die. I feel the same way about Negan. He needs a death sentence. Why on God's walking dead earth he let that scumbag live is beyond me. And, to think that all his group are going to slide right into Team Rick lifestyle. Some of those peeps actually enjoyed taking what they wanted and living on the edge, just like Joe. Geez, get with the za program already!

Yeah, I was just thinking about how all of those grown men could have easily taken Negan, if they wanted to. They didn't. So many of them, and they did nothing, at least that we've seen. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, CrazyDog said:

Jerry's got a girl! I remember her, but not her name. I actually like the look of the new season....but I'm still so bummed about losing Rick. 

I think her name is Nabila. She’s the one that was rather timid around Shiva. I like her. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Negan drawing breath is bad enough, but is that ‘Butch’ with Barcode Girl nodding to Rick?  There should have been some immediate executions when they surrendered, C’mon Alexandrians is nobody going to avenge Olivia!  

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 2
On 7/19/2018 at 6:28 AM, nodorothyparker said:

They sort of already did it, except as more of a reverse "I too failed to kill Negan when the opportunity presented"

LOL !! Yes!

• Love 1

So what’s the money on, Maggie still pregnant or baby Glenn/Beth/Hershel crawling around somewhere? They’re giving the impression that it’s been quite a considerable time jump, as Maggie isn’t showing bumps anywhere she must have had / lost the kid by now. She’s still got her grumpy cat face on so I really do wonder.

whats with tent city? Alex was rather banged up but the other communities were pretty much ok weren’t they? and the sign for Toledo, i thought it said toilets at first, but isn’t that in Ohio?

It looked like Carol getting cozy with The King by the fire, so let’s hope for some happiness at last.

The best characters leaving / getting sacked, stupid writing, bad directing, Negan, it doesn’t matter what obstacles are put in my way, I still can’t wait for the premier! 

• Love 4
On 7/19/2018 at 3:44 PM, tv echo said:

The Walking Dead Season 9: Official Comic-Con Teaser
Published on Jul 19, 2018, by amc

In season 9 Michonne gets to interact with other people again.  It would be nice if the show remembered that Michonne and Maggie are friends but I have a feeling we're going to have Michonne playing Tammy Wynnette and turning her back on her friend who has a VERY legitimate beef with Negan.

• Love 2

Full Comic Con trailer dropped today.

Walker log rolling, walker scarecrows, yes!  Michonne has custody of the damn bat, yes!  All of our longtime characters actually seem to have something to do, yes!

More tortured Rick and Negan speechifying and trying to play mind games with each other, not so much.

• Love 3

Rick looks good cleaned up.  A lot of that looks intriguing and I know I'll watch but I also know I can't trust this show.

15 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

More tortured Rick and Negan speechifying and trying to play mind games with each other, not so much.

Right???  Well we can snark on it in the live thread anyway.

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

Walker log rolling, walker scarecrows, yes! 

Swiss Family Robinson!

I watched half the trailer and then I just lost interest.  I guess I'm pretty much over it.  When I saw a shot of Enid, I could only think about Carl.

• Love 1

Trailers. I always think they do a good job with them. They get me excited. Wistful even. But there’s so much filler in between what they show. Oh early seasons. How I miss thee. And the idea of Rick leaving hurts. Looks like he’s taking over Negan’s jail chats since Carl’s gone. 

On 7/19/2018 at 8:13 PM, CrazyDog said:

Jerry's got a girl! I remember her, but not her name. I actually like the look of the new season....but I'm still so bummed about losing Rick. 

Nabila 

17 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

The Walking Dead: Samantha Morton Cast as Villain Alpha in Season 9

That answers the question some have had here and elsewhere about whether Jadis/Anne might end up being our next villain.  I don't read the comics so I know nothing about this character.

Guess things fell thru with Maria Bello.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

Walker log rolling, walker scarecrows, yes!  Michonne has custody of the damn bat, yes!  All of our longtime characters actually seem to have something to do, yes!

This trailer shows Maggie holding a baby, hers(?). 

4 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Rick's going to end up with his head on a pike, isn't he?

They may leave it open ended where he can come back. I guess we will have to watch in October to find out. 

(edited)

I don't recognize most of the people in that TWD Season 9 official comic-con trailer. Here's more Negan comments (ugh)...

The Walking Dead's Jeffrey Dean Morgan Addresses Negan's Changes For Season 9
 BY NICK VENABLE  JULY 20, 2018
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2453300/the-walking-deads-jeffrey-dean-morgan-addresses-negans-changes-for-season-9

For two seasons of The Walking Dead, Team Family has been plagued by the sadistic actions of big bad Negan. But the Season 8 finale seemingly took care of that problem, with Rick taking Negan down, though mercifully keeping the villain alive. For the AMC drama's big panel at San Diego Comic-Con, moderator Yvette Nicole Brown asked star Jeffrey Dean Morgan about the changes coming to Negan for Season 9, now that he's no longer in charge of anyone. Here's how he answered:

"It's a different year, a different side of Negan. I think we've got to see different sides and little hints of different sides. But this year, just from the trailer you see that he's in a bit of a predicament. And he's having to face some stuff, I think internally and outside his jail that he's never had to face before. So we're going to see some different sides. In saying that, Negan also gets to interact with some people on this stage that he hasn't been able to interact with before. Which has been super fun. For myself and for Negan."

To say that Negan is taking on a different role in the pecking order is an understatement. As seen in the brand new Season 9 trailer that was revealed at Comic-Con, Negan will no longer be running around and swinging Lucille willy nilly. Here, we're picking up after a major time jump that opens the world up and brings new characters into the fold, with many formerly conflicting characters now working together, such as Jadis and many now-reformed Saviors. But, Negan doesn't get to be out there in the free world with the rest of them, since he's now being locked up within his own personal jail cell.

When Negan gets cooped up inside a small space for too long, he has no one to deal with but himself, which is not a great way to keep his sanity. In order to maintain a semblance of normalcy, Rick will keep Negan company for some occasional conversations, which should make for some of the more interesting Season 9 exchanges.

After Jeffrey Dean Morgan gave his answer, Yvette Nicole Brown then asked new showrunner Angela Kang a similar inquiry. Here's how the longtime Walking Dead writer answered.

"We're getting to see some sides of Negan that we've never seen before. I think it'll be cool. I'm definitely loving the stuff that's coming in the episodes, and Jeffrey's fucking amazing. . . . But Negan is Negan. Negan wants to stir up trouble sometimes."

Angela Kang felt bad about swearing so prominently during her answer, but the audience loved it. And you can bet that Jeffrey Dean Morgan loved it, too.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Posting in this thread because of spoilers, like the time jump, AL's exit, and Maggie's baby (I haven't had a chance to watch these entire videos yet, so I don't know what else is in them)...

AMC's The Walking Dead Season 9 Comic Con Panel | SDCC 2018
Published on Jul 20, 2018, by We Live Entertainment

AMC's The Walking Dead Season Nine Comic Con Fan Q&A Panel | SDCC 2018
Published on Jul 20, 2018, by We Live Entertainment

The Walking Dead SDCC press conference 2018
Published on Jul 20, 2018, by TV Series and Movies - Trailers

Edited by tv echo
(edited)
On 6/28/2018 at 4:09 PM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

He's been turned from the no-prisoners-taken Superman of that universe into the castrated everybody-deserves-a-chance despite their horrible crimes & methodology. 

No. Not "everybody." Only Negan (the most despicable, silly and annoying baddie ever on this show)is deserving of a second or third or fifteenth chance - chances Rick never gave to anyone else, ever.  Michonne certainly never gave anyone a chance either, all the way back to where she ran her sword through the poor hermit just because he talked too loud. They all witnessed the little head-bashing party of two of their "family" members, yet both she and Rick are tag-team angels of mercy, but, of course only to Negan and no one else. How convenient and how stupid. I'm actually embarrased for them. Rick, Michonne? I'm sorry Kirkman's wee woody for Negan is setting you up to exit in disgrace after turning you into bad jokes.

But not only Rick and Michonne are suffering for the "Keep Negan Alive at Any Cost and to Hell With Our Viewers"  mindset. We had Rosita and Sasha, easily two of the most competent people on this show who morphed into incredible bumblers who couldn't take out Negan even while pointing a rifle at him or holding a knife within easy reach of his throat. Daryl, the person you'd most want to CYA in an apocalypse is now an idiotic total fuckup with no impulse control, Carl also couldn't kill Negan even when pointing an automatic weapon right in his face and became a clumsy moron - all these characters had to be utterly destroyed in order to keep Negan (whose plot armour would inspire envy in a medieval knight) safe and sound. And speaking of Sasha and Carl, is there someone on the writing team whose sole job is to think of incredibly dumb, humiliating and pointless ways for long-term, popular characters to die? I include Glenn, whose death was not only an anti-climax after Abe's, but who was made to look ridiculous even while dying - Glenn, without whom Rick would have died in the first episode but let's keep his murderer safe and sound and tucked in each night. It's the Word of Carl.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 7
(edited)

I'm watching the above-posted videos of TWD panel at SDCC and there were a lot of new cast announcements (comics characters joining the show)...

Per Angela Kang:

• Earl the Blacksmith - played by John Finn (previously played Kritschgau in The X-Files)
  • Tammy Rose - played by Brett Butler
  • Savior Jed - played by Rhys Coiro
  • Savior Justin - played by Zack McGowan
  • Luke - played by Dan Fogler (previously played Jacob in Fantastic Beasts and How to Find Them)

Per Robert Kirkman:

• Whispering Zombie (seen at end of comic-con trailer)
  • Alpha (leader of the Whisperers) - played by Samantha Morton (previously played Mary Lou in Fantastic Beasts and How to Find Them)

Also, per the July 19, 2018 The Hollywood Reporter article, the following characters will join the show this season:

• Luke - played by Dan Fogler (previously played Jacob in Fantastic Beasts and How to Find Them)
  • Yumiko - played by Eleanor Matsuura (previously played Baron Chau in Into the Badlands)
  • Connie (first deaf character) - played by Lauren Ridloff (Tony nominee for Children of a Lesser God)

Also, per the July 20, 2018 The Wrap article, the following character will join the show this season:

• Magna - played by Nadia Hilker (previously played Luna on The 100)

ETA: So I finished watching the videos of TWD panel. Andrew and Danai got huge applause, Norman said that Angela was his fave writer (ha, ha), Kirkman looked like Grumpy Cat, and Gimple spoke very little.

Edited by tv echo
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

Norman said that Angela was his fave writer (ha, ha)

Kang was responsible for both Still and The Cell, two of the most Daryl-heavy episodes we've ever gotten which are also two of the more unwatchable.  She also wrote The Next World, which gave us Daryl and Rick having happy funtime high jinks with Jesus ninjaing a supply truck into a lake.  Part of why so many of us were concerned when her promotion was announced is that she's credited for writing a lot of the less than memorable to downright tedious episodes over the show's run.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

Kang was responsible for both Still and The Cell, two of the most Daryl-heavy episodes we've ever gotten which are also two of the more unwatchable.  She also wrote The Next World, which gave us Daryl and Rick having happy funtime high jinks with Jesus ninjaing a supply truck into a lake.  Part of why so many of us were concerned when her promotion was announced is that she's credited for writing a lot of the less than memorable to downright tedious episodes over the show's run.

Well, Gimp was a good writer but a lousy showrunner - so maybe the reverse will be true for Kang.

Maybe.

But I doubt it.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, tv echo said:

I don't recognize most of the people in that TWD Season 9 official comic-con trailer. Here's more Negan comments (ugh)...

The Walking Dead's Jeffrey Dean Morgan Addresses Negan's Changes For Season 9
 BY NICK VENABLE  JULY 20, 2018
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2453300/the-walking-deads-jeffrey-dean-morgan-addresses-negans-changes-for-season-9

The only new side to Negan I want to see (other than graveside) is his silent side, so I remain uninterested.

• Love 4
(edited)
14 hours ago, WalkerTalker said:

This trailer shows Maggie holding a baby, hers(?)

Was that scene a bit too obvious and just a bluff? I’ve always been rubbish with babies but does this look like the same kid? If so then it’s not Maggie’s, if not, they could have used different kids to play Gracie so we still don’t know. If they are both Gracie, she doesn’t seem to have grown very much.

57BCF6D7-A89D-49D7-8A4E-36306101A1BB.jpeg

246B5280-8FB5-4E72-AE95-875CF2C4BACF.jpeg

Oh! And it’s lovely to see Maggie smiling again, how long has it been? 

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 1

What I find interesting is how the order of the cast at SDCC has changed since last year. Danai is back at Andy's side and next to Norman, while Morgan is no longer glued to Andy Thanks to Black Panther, Danai is now the show's most famous/high profile actor and AMC knows it.

Was anything said about Lauren?

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, tv echo said:

Savior Justin - played by Zack McGowan

Now that caught my interest.  Zach McGowan was in Black Sails amd he did an awesome job.  Loved his character.  It’s a bit ironic he’s joining the cast just as AL is leaving,  Black Sails filmed in South African for 4 years.  Rumour had it ZM left the show after a couple of seasons because he wanted to get back to his family in LA.  I’ve heard that AL wants to leave to spend more time with his family on the U.K.  Not sure that is completely true because a lot of people say he is leaving because he was furious they fired Carl with no warning.

They sure seem to be putting in a lot of new characters. Sadly though, I can’t see this show surviving AL’s departure (Rick’s death?).  I think there will be a massive surge in ratings/audience at his final episode and then the show will lose so many viewers that it will be cancelled.  Of all the people I know personally who used  to watch it, I am the only who still tunes in.

Edited by Earlwoode
55 minutes ago, Earlwoode said:

Of all the people I know personally who used  to watch it, I am the only who still tunes in.

I know a few, but it's definitely a lot less. There's one guy at work who says he's gonna catch up, but never does. 

I know quite a few who still watch. Not always happily, but we do. It's still pulling substantial ratings and I suspect the show will go for awhile, even after Rick leaves. Unless it's just too expensive, but it's not like AMC has any huge shows competing. But maybe the focus will switch to FTD, who knows.

AL does look great. They always seem to have a great time at the panels.

• Love 1

TWD is still the highest rated tv drama in the 18 to 49 key demo so AMC isn't cancelling TWD anytime soon. FTWD's ratings have tumbled and it is still chugging along. AMC cannot afford to channel its highest rated shows.

• Love 1
On 7/21/2018 at 11:21 AM, tv echo said:

Savior Justin - played by Zack McGowan

He was very good in Black Sails (although the only historically factual part of his character as Charles Vane was the name).

He's stepping into a mess with our show. I hope he's not expecting to appear full frontal, as seems to be his wont, in TWD. Sorry Zack, everyone is only allowed to talk about "dick" and "nut sacks", so you'll have to keep yours in your pants. Feel free to mention or refer to it anytime you like, though.

Sorry. I am hungover. Maybe still drunk even.

• Love 1

Does anybody know if Zack McGowan is capable of speaking in a normal tone of voice?  I only really know him from Black Sails, and while I liked him well enough there (because yes, he is a big fan of putting it all out there), at times it was tough understanding anything he said with him doing his best gravelly whispered Batman impression.  The last thing this show needs to even try to survive the post-Rick era is another character with idiosyncratic speech.

• Love 1
On 7/21/2018 at 10:19 AM, AngelaHunter said:

No. Not "everybody." Only Negan (the most despicable, silly and annoying baddie ever on this show)is deserving of a second or third or fifteenth chance - chances Rick never gave to anyone else, ever.  Michonne certainly never gave anyone a chance either, all the way back to where she ran her sword through the poor hermit just because he talked too loud. They all witnessed the little head-bashing party of two of their "family" members, yet both she and Rick are tag-team angels of mercy, but, of course only to Negan and no one else. How convenient and how stupid. I'm actually embarrased for them. Rick, Michonne? I'm sorry Kirkman's wee woody for Negan is setting you up to exit in disgrace after turning you into bad jokes.

But not only Rick and Michonne are suffering for the "Keep Negan Alive at Any Cost and to Hell With Our Viewers"  mindset. We had Rosita and Sasha, easily two of the most competent people on this show who morphed into incredible bumblers who couldn't take out Negan even while pointing a rifle at him or holding a knife within easy reach of his throat. Daryl, the person you'd most want to CYA in an apocalypse is now an idiotic total fuckup with no impulse control, Carl also couldn't kill Negan even when pointing an automatic weapon right in his face and became a clumsy moron - all these characters had to be utterly destroyed in order to keep Negan (whose plot armour would inspire envy in a medieval knight) safe and sound. And speaking of Sasha and Carl, is there someone on the writing team whose sole job is to think of incredibly dumb, humiliating and pointless ways for long-term, popular characters to die? I include Glenn, whose death was not only an anti-climax after Abe's, but who was made to look ridiculous even while dying - Glenn, without whom Rick would have died in the first episode but let's keep his murderer safe and sound and tucked in each night. It's the Word of Carl.

Well said.  And I agree that it's embarrassing that Rick and Michonne have turned into humanitarians ONLY where Negan is concerned.  For me, it's more for Michonne because the REAL Michonne would NEVER have allowed Negan to live.  She travelled all over the country-side (accompanied by Daryl) after Andrea died.  I've thought Rick was an asshole for ages now, so I don't really care about him. 

23 hours ago, SimoneS said:

What I find interesting is how the order of the cast at SDCC has changed since last year. Danai is back at Andy's side and next to Norman, while Morgan is no longer glued to Andy Thanks to Black Panther, Danai is now the show's most famous/high profile actor and AMC knows it.

Was anything said about Lauren?

I noticed that too.  If Danai stays with TWD after Andrew leaves it's pure charity work on her part.  She IS the biggest star (successful playwright and major player in the biggest movie on earth); she doesn't need TWD.  My girl was looking gorgeous (as usual). 

7 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

Does anybody know if Zack McGowan is capable of speaking in a normal tone of voice? 

Yes, he is, as I saw in parts of an interview. I think he spoke that way on Black Sails to make himself seem more badass/rock star whatever and possibly because it helped him speak with the British accent needed.

1 minute ago, AngelaHunter said:

Yes, he is, as I saw in parts of an interview. I think he spoke that way on Black Sails to make himself seem more badass/rock star whatever and possibly because it helped him speak with the British accent needed.

That's a relief, although I wouldn't put it past this show at this point to have his character be the one who inexplicably talks like a pirate just so they can sit on the couch on the aftershow and giggle about how clever they are.

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

That's a relief, although I wouldn't put it past this show at this point to have his character be the one who inexplicably talks like a pirate just so they can sit on the couch on the aftershow and giggle about how clever they are.

Ahoy, mateys! Thar be zombies!

• Love 4
On 7/20/2018 at 7:31 PM, nodorothyparker said:

I thought the S9 trailer was really good and looked exciting.....until I realized that the trailer was about 75% Rick, Michonne, and Maggie and all of them will likely be gone after this season.  This attrition of core characters is crippling. Losing Rick? How? I'm racking my brain trying to think of a single way to write Rick Grimes out of the show in a satisfactory way. I can't think of one. Maggie and Michonne? Both have small children. How do you write them and their children out in a credible way? Women don't just leave relative safety to just wander off on a whim into the ZA with small children in tow , and I don't find the notion of dead mothers and orphaned children to be a bit appealing. Angela Kang is going to have to write all three. I wouldn't want to be her right about now.

• Love 3