Type keyword(s) to search

Aquarius Anticipation

TV Guide sez:

David Duchovny stars as a Los Angeles police sergeant in the late 1960s who is tracking a small-time criminal and budding cult leader who turns out to be Charles Manson. This complicated undercover operation leads Duchovny's character and his young partner to the brink of Manson's crimes that will eventually lead to the infamous Tate-LaBianca murders. Duchovny will executive-produce with writer John McNamara (In Plain Sight), Marty Adelstein (Prison Break) and Melanie Greene.

According to NBC.com, Aquarias will premiere on May 28th. 

As someone who has been interested in the Manson case ever since I first saw Helter Skelter so many years ago, I am most definitely excited to see this. 

I'm so excited for this. The 60s is my favorite era for serial killers. 

If anything, I am looking forward to discussing this show with people who have a favorite serial killer era. I don't personally, but I'm a little too into serial/spree killers, cults, and general batshit crazy helter skelter (tee hee, I'm hilarious) shenanigans. The Manson stuff especially has always fascinated me.

• Love 1

I'm sort of wanting to try to read Helter Skelter again - for the fourth time.  The whole thing was so grue.  The first time I tried the pictures made me shut the book, and they had been fixed (the crime scene pictures had the bodies whited-out - still shuddering).

Is this an age thing?  I was thirteen that year.

I'm not a fan of the death penalty (demographics demonstrate how unequally it is handed down), but dammit I wish the court decision hadn't commuted any of them.

Edited by kassygreene

I actually still haven't read Helter Skelter. We covered the Manson stuff so extensively in my high school sociology class that I didn't really feel the need, but maybe before this series airs I'll finally do it. Not super stoked about there being pictures, censored or not, but I think I read somewhere that the Kindle version doesn't include them, so I might go that route. I'm interested in the subject, but not that much. We watched one of the TV movie adaptations of Helter Skelter for the class (the newer one, with whatshisface from Grey's Anatomy as Tex Watson) and I had to leave the room during the murder scene. What happened to those people was pure, unadulterated evil. There's no other way to describe it.

Actually, I happened across an uncensored picture of the Tate crime scene while doing a project for the class, and it kept me freaked out for a good few weeks. There's murder, and then there's that.

Edited by helenamonster

Might be a sign of no confidence in the show, and if they're forced to pull the show from the air due to rock-bottom ratings 

A) they can say "whatever, you can see them all online anyway, no whining," and

B) they can be like "oops, I guess putting them online was an experiment gone wrong" and deflect from the plausibility that no one cared.

Might be a sign of no confidence in the show, and if they're forced to pull the show from the air due to rock-bottom ratings 

A) they can say "whatever, you can see them all online anyway, no whining," and

B) they can be like "oops, I guess putting them online was an experiment gone wrong" and deflect from the plausibility that no one cared.

That's how it reads to me too.

The networks are obviously going to have to test the waters with this model of programming, and it makes sense that they would do it with a show they could afford to screw up with.

The odds of Aquarias being anything more than a one season and done show were already pretty low. Being used as a network guinea pig does not help.

Normally I wouldn't care, but this show's concept and subject matter is so intriguing to me that I am hoping against hope it not only survives but becomes a hit.

We shall see.

• Love 1

Might be a sign of no confidence in the show, and if they're forced to pull the show from the air due to rock-bottom ratings...

And/or might they pull it because it's too horrific for prime time network TV?

My older, recently retired cousin was the lead AP reporter on the case once it went to trial. I don't see any reporters cast yet, just cult members and law enforcement associates.

If it's very graphic, I won't watch unless it has some really in depth social commentary beyond entertainment--or, as the obscenity laws call it, "socially redeeming value."

Seeing as how I haven't seen anyone cast as any of the victims of the Tate/LaBianca murders or as the more well-known Family members/perpetrators (Sadie Atkins, Tex Watson, Linda Kasabian, Patricia Krenwinkel, etc.), I don't think any of that is going to go down in this series. Also, I think all of it is going to take place in the summer of '67, and the murders happened in '69. Overall, it just looks like they're using the macabre allure of the Manson legend to tell an original story; I have a feeling it'll end up being more about Duchovny and all that than it will be about actual Manson stuff.

I can't remember if they had originally billed Aquarius as an event series or not. I wish I still had my tracking document of pilots from last season. If it's an event series, then it's only ever been conceived as a 1-season show. However, Under the Dome was also supposed to be an event series and it's going into its 3rd season. 

I actually take the release on streaming as a vote of confidence in the show. It's only going to be available on streaming for a month, so they'll be able to promote the heck out of it for 4 weeks and build on that word of mouth. It did also say in the release that there are 2 different versions that have been cut. I'm thinking the streaming one is going to be a lot more violent. Plus, they're putting it on Thursday nights, which is still the biggest night as far as ad buys goes. 

As far as I have heard, this is not an event series, and the plan is for multiple seasons. This first season will take place in 1967. Since Duchovny's character is an LAPD detective, I presume the show picks up after Manson spent the summer of 1967 in Haight Ashbury in San Francisco, which is where he went after being released from prison that year, and which is when and where the first members of the Family were recruited. 

If that is the case, then notable Family members who should appear in Season 1 are Mary Brunner and Squeaky Fromme, Family members #1 and #2, respectively, and Tate/Labianca murderers Susan Atkins and Patricia Krenwinkel. 

If the show does last, and that is a big if, we will eventually get to the Tate/Labianca murders that made Charles Manson famous. 

I have no intention of watching this show, may check in here for remarks. I was 19 in 1969, didn't live in California, but it was all over the news and the newspapers then. Not like it would be now, s**t, the Today Show would be running stories for an entire year about it.Fox and CNN would be beside themselves. 

I read Helter Skelter when it came out, scared the daylights out of me and I couldn't read it at night.

• Love 1
(edited)

I have no intention of watching this show, may check in here for remarks. I was 19 in 1969, didn't live in California, but it was all over the news and the newspapers then. Not like it would be now, s**t, the Today Show would be running stories for an entire year about it.Fox and CNN would be beside themselves. 

I read Helter Skelter when it came out, scared the daylights out of me and I couldn't read it at night.

Oh, I hear that. I tried to read Helter Skelter, and the pictures ("redacted" by whiting out the bodies) made me close the book.  I was 13 in 1969.  My aunt read the book when it came out and she was livid about how certain critical pieces of evidence came to the police.   IIRC, a kid found a gun, and from watching Dragnet knew how to pick it up without damaging any evidence, only to have the cop (uniform or detective, I forget which), immediately stick a pencil up the barrel to pick it up (that screws up the rifling).  I definitely recall correctly how one of the females was arrested for something unrelated, and was boasting in holding how she'd been part of the murder, so unnerving a prostitute in there with her that when she was allowed her phone call, she called the police department instead of her lawyer...

I have a feeling this is going to be a one and done series, and I've heard it's only about 1967, so I'm really not seeing any kind of resolution... which may be irritating.  Still, it's Duchovny, and the promos have soundtracks from my era, so I'm going to try.

Edited by kassygreene
  • Love 1

...it's Duchovny, and the promos have soundtracks from my era, so I'm going to try.

These are my motivations too.

How far I get will likely depend upon whether the violence is gratuitous or serves to tell the story.

I'm still not expecting gratuitous violence, especially if it's a one-and-done thing. If they don't show the Tate/LaBianca murders, what else is there? Unless they make up some other fictional gruesome murder that Manson ordered, which...ok, at that point, just do the Tate/LaBianca ones. The whole story is so fucking bizarre that there really isn't a reason for any adaptation to do much embellishment.

I definitely recall correctly how one of the females was arrested for something unrelated, and was boasting in holding how she'd been part of the murder, so unnerving a prostitute in there with her that when she was allowed her phone call, she called the police department instead of her lawyer...

Pretty sure Sadie Atkins was the one that let it slip. And I think the woman who heard it, while probably still disturbed, mainly told the police in exchange for her own release.

• Love 1

I'm still not expecting gratuitous violence, especially if it's a one-and-done thing. If they don't show the Tate/LaBianca murders, what else is there? Unless they make up some other fictional gruesome murder that Manson ordered, which...ok, at that point, just do the Tate/LaBianca ones. The whole story is so fucking bizarre that there really isn't a reason for any adaptation to do much embellishment.

Pretty sure Sadie Atkins was the one that let it slip. And I think the woman who heard it, while probably still disturbed, mainly told the police in exchange for her own release.

Ah, well, this is how I remembered my aunt telling me about it.  The book just made her livid on how LAPD handled the investigation.

How does David Duchovny still look the same?  He must have a portrait hidden away somewhere.

This is intriguing.  I'm too young to remember Manson, thankfully, but, from the trailers, it looks fairly well-constructed.  I may give this a try.

• Love 3

How does David Duchovny still look the same?  He must have a portrait hidden away somewhere.

It's in a attic somewhere, right next to Gillian's. Mitch still looks pretty good, too.

I enjoyed Gethin Anthony's performance in Game of Thrones, but he's about the last actor I would have thought of to play Manson. Looking forward to what he does with the role.

It will be interesting to see how the immediately available for streaming model works out.

Since June is a comparatively slow month for my tv viewing, I was looking forward to watching four or so a week for the four weeks.

Then Amazon Prime informed me Sunday that something like 70 hours of programming that I really want to see will be removed June 14, so I am presently binge-watching other things.  Who needs sleep?

I'm going to temporarily suspend my "not watching TV shows with death as main theme" for this.  I grew up in SoCal, though I was a baby/toddler during this time, and while I have very vague recollections hearing about it years later, I didn't really 'experience' it first hand.  Also, my mother was Manson follower Leslie VanHouten's 5th grade teacher, so I've always had a bit of a fascination about how it all happened. I know for years everytime the death penalty or one of the CA Supreme Court justices came up for re-election with the death penalty as an issue, the Manson case was always drudged up again as an example of "failure."  And, of course, Manson was the "boogie man" for why we were strongly chastised for even considering hitch hiking, even when I was a teen.

• Love 2

I will be checking this out. I have always liked David Duchovny and when I did watch Tvd and The Originals I enjoyed Claire Holt as well. I didnt realize until 2 weeks ago King Renly from GoT would be playing Charles Manson.

I remember the 1976 tv movie Helter Skelter the scene where the watch stops and how creeped out I was. The 2004 version was alright but I always felt the 76 version was better.

I read Helter Skelter when I was a younger. I still have the book in my house. I would only read it in the day. I always felt the book had such detail that it would stay in my head for hours afterwards. It was good and disturbing.

I am glad to hear about a 6 year plan but only time will tell if the show runs that long.

I was about 14 or 15 when this happened.  What I remember most vividly from those days is (A) Roman Polanski sobbing -- I really felt bad for the guy -- and (B) my cousin and I doing tarot card readings to discover whether or not Manson was really guilty.(!)

I've never read Helter Skelter, although I think I saw one of the movies.

The show is mainly going to explore the "hippie cult leader" angle. From what promos show, Duchovny is a cop who is trying to pry someone's daughter (not his, but I could be wrong about that) from Manson's clutches. Between that plotline, the counterculture background, and the exploration of how an otherwise unremarkable individual like Charles Manson could create the Manson Family, the show will certainly have plenty to dramatize before they ever get to the Tate/Labianca murders.  From that point on, they really will have a lot to cover.

I somehow doubt they will get that far, but here's hoping.

• Love 1

Strong review in yesterday's NY Times:

Unusual choices can be found throughout “Aquarius,” and they are part of what makes this drama so good. It’s so different from most network cop series that NBC is making all 13 episodes of available to binge-watch, Netflix style, on NBC.com and other on-demand platforms after the show’s debut Thursday night. ...

But “Aquarius” looks at the psychedelic Summer of Love through the smoky filter of a 1940s film noir. The cinematography is especially counterintuitive — interiors are moodily dark, and colors are so drained that at times “Aquarius” looks like a black-and-white movie. Even at midday, the California sun looks dim: Some exterior scenes look as if they were shot through the gray-green glass of a vintage Coca-Cola bottle.

And that’s the prism through which Mr. Duchovny’s character, Sam Hodiak, sees the flower power revolution.

I will give it a try.

(edited)

I'll give this a watch to see how Network TV handles a 60's period piece. I certainly hope it's better than the Miniseries "The 60's" NBC also did a while back. I grew up in Los Angeles, graduated HS in 1969 when the murders took place. I was in Vietnam during the trial in 1970. Read Helter Skelter just before the 1976 miniseries. Steve Railsback KILLED it as Manson, one of the most chilling performances I've ever seen.

Fairly or unfairly, Aquariaus will be compared to both the book and miniseries and will most likely come up short. I doubt the show will last long enough for the 2 plotlines on a collision course to finally converge with the Tate-LaBianca Case.

On the Cop side of the story, bear in mind the first season is set in 1967, the year Jack Webb's Dragnet started it's second run and a year before the premiere of Adam-12. Should be interesting to revisit the era of those shows thru the lens of (nearly) 50 years of hindsight. 

Edited by Snowprince
  • Love 1