Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: Johnny Dangerously

• Start Topic

Loved the episode.. Hullen Jonny was perfect... And my lifelong crush in mayko nguyen has not dissipated... All three of them on that ship in the lil montage spending time together was so endearing and I liked bea the prison girl and fariuza the ex scarback... Looking fwd to next week.   And I needed something positive after the show from the previous hour put a sour taste in my mouth

• Love 5
(edited)

Even with just a sprinkling of Dutch, this episode was great.

• Hullen!Johnny is f*ing badass!  I have a feeling it won't last too very long, so while it is, I'm digging it.  I liked the scene where it showed his brain is now like a super-computer, when he instantly picked up on the real situation when the guards showed up - before he eliminated them.  He's a bit unhinged now, but can't always be perfect. Although, that bit about him going on with D'avin about 'fixing him like D'av fixed Sabine' thing was getting a little icky-squicky before they broke it off - not cause of it being two guys, but because of their relation.
  • That montage of how they passed the time on the elevator was so slapstick it was amazing; just perfect.  And then DelleSayeh's realization after trying to explain their whole situation, "... Oh God, we are a family!"  lol
  • The 'goodbye / be safe' scene when DSK went to plant the beacon on the elevator, between her and D'av, was awkwardly funny.  Johnny's reaction was his new norm, really asshole-ish, but still humorous.
  • Poor Lucy, sitting on a planetoid or asteroid all by her lonesome.   But if she really did put a tracker on the elevator, why didn't she go to the crash site?
  • You know what, I didn't really have much an opinion or cared about either Zeph or Pip before, but I enjoyed them in this hour.  And I'm totally assuming that Pip was spider-ized.  Guessing he'll be sabotaging things until they figure it out and remove the 'bug' from him - or he passes it on and doesn't remember ever having it, etc.  Oh, and why do I get the feeling that what Pip was seeing was not all he reported back to the main group?  I thought I remembered hearing things that were new on the playback and found it oddly noticeable they didn't show the screen to us viewers to let us know that he was seeing a playback of what we saw at the end of S3.
  • Pree's hubby Gared gets off on pain brought on by women, huh.  Really explains why he enjoyed getting his ass kicked by Dutch and Pawter back in 2.2 Wild, Wild Westerley.  Then the ending of the scene, "... since we're here..." and Pree's "Oh, what the hell.  I'm not good all the time.  *leans over to Faruza*  But not the face."
  • Good to see Turin and Fancy getting along.

I'm going to guess that Dutch!illusion John had was the human part of Johnny fighting against the Hullen.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 5

Hullen John is going to be bad news for everyone involved, but damn, if it wasn't entertaining to watch!  Aaron Ashmore seemed to be having a ball, and D'Avin/Luke Macfarlane's reactions were equally priceless.  In general, the John/D'Avin/Seyah trio was a made of win.  I could have watch an entire episode of just them stuck in that elevator.  The montage was hilarious!

Great seeing the rest of the gang.  Fancy, Pree and Gared, Turin (trying a redemption arc!), and even Zeph and Pip were kind of fun (it was funny seeing them again after both actors' brief stint on The Expanse earlier this year.)  They're really done an excellent job with the supporting cast on this show.

Took me a good few seconds to place Anna Hopkins as the Scarback-turned-dominatrix.  I think it was the hair.  She seems to be a fun edition.

But Pip totally got infected by that spider, right?  I have a bad feeling about this!

Pretty Dutch-lite for this episode, but I am curious over her apparently having a connection to John now that he's been infected with Hullen Goo.

• Love 4
(edited)

I want it to be an actual connection between Dutch & John because of the green, but like I said above, I think it was just his humanity/conscience fighting to be recognized as still being present and accounted for.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

Anna Hopkins sighting!

Another Expanse person. See also: Sean Baek.

For some reason my DVR didn’t record the Premier episode. Not matter. I liked this episode, but I do have a nitpick: Why are they measuring distance in miles? Why would they use the Imperial system? Most of 21st Century Earth doesn’t use the Imperial system! 

• Love 2

Delle Seyeh's "oh god, we ARE a family" was priceless! I also loved D'avin's fumbling around trying to wish her well for the sake of the baby that basically came out like "best wishes at preserving the fetus." I liked her line, "right now I'm surviving for two." Hullen Johnny was fun, too!

Zeph really connected for me in this episode. She seems to have lost any timidity, and was really badass, which I loved!

• Love 5

Evil Johnny reminded me a lot of evil Rip Hunter on LOT - good guys turning bad and the actors having a blast is always fun (and I'm sure there's an entry on TV tropes but as usual I'm too afraid to check). Glad we got to see Turin and Fancy doing fine, Gared and Pree being awesome. And Zeph being a badass was also a treat. Best bit was definitely the elevator montage.

• Love 6

Davin describing John as a hug wrapped in a puppy was made of win. 

Considering all the different story threads going on I was still able to follow what was happening. That’s good writing/directing/editing. 

• Love 4
(edited)

First things first, I love this show. Hard. It’s hitting all the right beats right now and the characters are just charactery enough to be enjoyable without being too over the top, if that makes sense. Hard love. I’m looking forward, once the show’s run is done, to watching it all again in a continuous fashion. 

On 7/27/2018 at 11:49 PM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

That montage of how they passed the time on the elevator was so slapstick it was amazing; just perfect.  

Totally agree! I wish we could have had at least a few more minutes of the interaction because it was awesome. The three of them together is something I never would have thought could be so much fun. The awkwardness, the anger, the playing off each other, and the tiny bit of possibly caring about the other’s well being was perfect. The handshake after all the fumbling talk about taking care of the baby was great too.

9 hours ago, solea said:

Davin describing John as a hug wrapped in a puppy was made of win. 

Yes it was!  Johnny is usually my favorite character and a lot of it is because he’s just a lovable puppy. Hullen John cracks me up, but like some of you have mentioned, I don’t want him to stay that way for too long. 

When Zeph was talking about Team Awesome Force teaching her something and Pip asked if it was that “Tight pants are best pants?” I legitimately laughed out loud. I liked them both more than I remember liking them last season. I hate that Pip, who gives good pip talks, has been spidered.

Edited by ramble
  • Love 4

I love this show.  Some of it's just the little things, like nerd Zeph morphing into badass Zeph while still looking 95% the same. Or the big things, like having the Jaqobis Bros. back on my screen. And some new things, like Fairuza, the ex-Scarback.  I watched pretty late last night - did I miss what artifact she snagged as her payment?    

They toned down the DSK evil, OTT stuff a bit too and I'm glad.      

• Love 1

I really enjoy this show. The interaction between the main characters is so much fun. I like that at least for the moment they aren't shoving PC crap down our throats. The characters stand for themselves. Yes, I know there are gay characters. They just don't rub that in your face. It is all natural.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, nitrofishblue said:

I like that at least for the moment they aren't shoving PC crap down our throats. The characters stand for themselves

And what PC crap per se are they not shoving down your throat yet? 

• Love 8

Oh show,  I love you, let me count the ways! 

The Johnny/Delle Seyeh/D'avin team was surprisingly awesome, and I loved Delle Sayeh realizes, to her horror, that they really are family. That montage of the three of them stuck together was everything, I ever wanted and more. Speaking of, Evil Hullen Johnny is just a barrel of evil laughs. You can tell Aaron Ashmore is having a blast, and he is doing a good job at walking the line between being funny, and actually being badass and intimidating. And I always love some Jaqobis brother bonding, and seeing D'avin in Big Bro Mode is always nice to see. As much as I am loving Hullen Johnny, I hope he gets back to normal soon. He is going to feel awful if he does something really bad while infected, and I want my puppy wrapped in a hug back!

I actually watched D'avin and Delle awkwardly shake hands and wish each other well three times in a row. Thats how great it was. 

Pretty Dutch lite episode, but after so much Dutch last week, I can work with that. I am very interested in seeing the connection between Dutch in her goo land, and Hullen infected Johnny. 

Also great to see the supporting cast again, including Pree being awesome as always, his boyfriend helping out with his dominatrix pal (who I already like), Fancy and Turin on their redemption arcs, Zeph going all Die Hard on the Hullen, and Pip being a supportive buddy. Sucks that poor Pip got spider infected, hope that they can get it out of him. He gives good inspirational speeches! This show does a great job with the supporting characters, they all have so much personality. 

You know, I normally love how the show and its characters are totally cool with sex, nontraditional relationships, various sexual orientations, sex workers, fetishes, and pretty much anything else, but...are Hullen kind of incest-y by nature? Because I think thats pushing it. 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Also great to see the supporting cast again, including Pree being awesome as always, his boyfriend helping out with his dominatrix pal (who I already like), Fancy and Turin on their redemption arcs, Zeph going all Die Hard on the Hullen, and Pip being a supportive buddy. Sucks that poor Pip got spider infected, hope that they can get it out of him. He gives good inspirational speeches! This show does a great job with the supporting characters, they all have so much personality. 

Didn't they get married last season? 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, tessaray said:

Didn't they get married last season? 

Did they? I really dont remember, its been awhile since I watched the last season, maybe I forgot some stuff. Looks like I will just have to re-watch the last few episodes of last season. Oh, what a hardship!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Did they? I really dont remember, its been awhile since I watched the last season, maybe I forgot some stuff. Looks like I will just have to re-watch the last few episodes of last season. Oh, what a hardship!

I feel your pain.

But I'm sure a small dose of green goo to the brain stem will have you up and running in no time!  ;)

• Love 2

I really enjoyed this episode because it was just so much fun.  Snarky Delle is the best; I've never liked her so much.

On 7/28/2018 at 7:44 PM, marinw said:

I liked this episode, but I do have a nitpick: Why are they measuring distance in miles? Why would they use the Imperial system? Most of 21st Century Earth doesn’t use the Imperial system! 

U.S market trumps future space logic.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

You know, I normally love how the show and its characters are totally cool with sex, nontraditional relationships, various sexual orientations, sex workers, fetishes, and pretty much anything else, but...are Hullen kind of incest-y by nature? Because I think thats pushing it. 

Remember that being Hullenized degrades and destroys relationship connections.  The idea that Johnny is seeing D'avin as a hot dude to fuck instead of as his brother is creepy but slightly predictable given what being Hullen means.

• Love 3

Really liking Delle Seyah (now, there’s something I never expected)... especially when the locals totally underestimated the pregnant lady and got their asses kicked. And the “murders... plotting world domination... Gods, we ARE a family!”

I’m also enjoying that my favorite character (Johnny, who else!) got so much screen time both this week and last. The only thing missing this week was some Johnny/Lucy banter.

...and loved Pree’s “not the face”!

• Love 5
On 7/29/2018 at 9:23 PM, johntfs said:

Remember that being Hullenized degrades and destroys relationship connections.  The idea that Johnny is seeing D'avin as a hot dude to fuck instead of as his brother is creepy but slightly predictable given what being Hullen means.

I was thrown at first by D'avin's reaction seeming like "What? Why would you say that? Have you been reading my diary?" but I think it was just the N2O making him act oddly. Though I'm not clear why exactly Johnny was releasing laughing gas into the room.