Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E06: Auditions 6

• Start Topic

Damn, nothing??? 

Alright, I'll go. The only surprise of the evening was that the golden buzzer girl at the end didn't have a sob story. Just an ordinary girl singing an ordinary song. 

I was expecting the singer who Simon stopped to sing an original (didn't see that coming a mile away!) to have a more interesting back/sob story, like he was trans or something. 

Other than that, a pretty dull couple of hours. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Superclam said:

tOther than that, a pretty dull couple of hours. 

Dull, indeed.  So they used their usual technique of montaging several like acts, this time comedians, before they brought out the act they wanted to promote.  The "comedian" in the red clown suit and shaggy black wig -  they fawned all over him.  I still don't get it.  The golden buzzer girl was good, but not the best of the best.  Slim pickings.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Babalooie said:

The "comedian" in the red clown suit and shaggy black wig -  they fawned all over him.  I still don't get it. 

When he gave his final set up about identity theft, I said in my room, "They gave it back". Standing ovation!!! Puh-leeze

• Love 6

So 4 out of 5 golden buzzers went to singers. All of whom would have had 4 yeses. Welcome to American Voice Idol. 

More montages of cool acts followed by a full bio film piece of a preppy white kid rapper. 

I really hope that they start focusing on the variety acts during judge cut weeks because right now there are very few acts we have seen that finale worthy. (Other than acts that have already won other shows or have had decent television exposure prior)

• Love 4

What the hell was that white guy with guitar situation all about? They spent a heck of a long time on him; giving each judge time to basically call the guy, in different ways, a phony. His whole affect was weird as he stood up there and took it. His big backstory is that he has been on his own since 18 and has at times gone hungry?! That describes about 90% of the US population. Nothing at all to see with that guy. Hope he is quickly cut in the next round......without screen time. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, lynxfx said:

More montages of cool acts followed by a full bio film piece of a preppy white kid rapper. 

A preppy white kid rapper who sucked, IMO.

Okay, so I didn't watch glued to the tv so maybe missed some things, but what's up with Simon ranking on the guy singer and calling him "a karaoke singer." And the Golden Buzzer girl at the end wasn't karaoke quality? I actually liked the guy better.

I'm really unhappy that this show is all about singers now and screw the other acts. You know, the ones that are interesting and fun to watch. I guess Simon will end up making more $$ off of the singers if he makes sure they win AGT and BGT and every other GT he's got his fingers in.

It's so irritating that it's now scripted for one judge to "not get it" while two love the act, then the "waffling" judge decides to give a big "OKAY! I vote YES!" We've seen that so many times, they might as well just replay the tape for viewers while the judges go drink some ... well, whatever they are hawking this season. Dunkin' coffee I guess.

While I didn't think the singing dog was all that special, his owner deserved a big YES through to the next round. I suspect she is a "real" person and was thrilled to even get on the show with all those recruited professional acts. So good on her and the dog.

• Love 7
36 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

A preppy white kid rapper who sucked, IMO.

Okay, so I didn't watch glued to the tv so maybe missed some things, but what's up with Simon ranking on the guy singer and calling him "a karaoke singer." And the Golden Buzzer girl at the end wasn't karaoke quality? I actually liked the guy better.

I'm really unhappy that this show is all about singers now and screw the other acts. You know, the ones that are interesting and fun to watch. I guess Simon will end up making more $$ off of the singers if he makes sure they win AGT and BGT and every other GT he's got his fingers in.

It's so irritating that it's now scripted for one judge to "not get it" while two love the act, then the "waffling" judge decides to give a big "OKAY! I vote YES!" We've seen that so many times, they might as well just replay the tape for viewers while the judges go drink some ... well, whatever they are hawking this season. Dunkin' coffee I guess.

While I didn't think the singing dog was all that special, his owner deserved a big YES through to the next round. I suspect she is a "real" person and was thrilled to even get on the show with all those recruited professional acts. So good on her and the dog.

When asked why he wanted to be a singer, he stated that his mom took him to a karaoke contest (I think a contest) and entered him in it.  So he brought up being a karaoke singer, which is not a good thing to admit to especially with Simon  lol  His replies to questions were odd, but it was his demeanor that was oddest.  He had an okay voice and his original was way better than his cover.  I liked the dance/acrobats from Japan.  Did not think much of the HS dance troupe.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Superclam said:

I was expecting the singer who Simon stopped to sing an original (didn't see that coming a mile away!) to have a more interesting back/sob story, like he was trans or something. 

That "stop them in the middle and make them sing something else" is getting old. He already did it once this season. Also, pretending like it was just a spontaneous thing...who do they think they're kidding?

• Love 8
(edited)

Rube Goldberg guys were fun and normal, probably won't get past the next round but I for one will enjoy whatever they come up.

The Father/Daughter acro-balance act was pretty damn awesome. I'm wondering if tonight, was kind of an admission that the quality of dance acts this season was really low. The three that all got through in sort of a mega-montage were all kinds of terrible. Like I thought the Wizard of Oz high school team in another season could've gotten like three or four x's. They. were. not. good.

I'm biased because Toto's Africa is one of "those" songs for me, so I quite enjoyed the large choir. Hard to see them getting through another round, but maybe they will surprise again.

I forgot how the next rounds work, with the celebrity guest judges. Can someone offer a refresher course?

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 4

Hamster Wheel: (Rube Goldberg Machine) That was cool. Not a huge payoff, but it was fun to watch it go. 

Patches: (Precocious child} Not a very good rapper. Not much of a song. I don't want to see him in the next round, Simon. 

Sergei and Sasha: (Father/Daughter acrobats) The balancing was pretty amazing. 

Angel City Chorale: (160 person choir) The person who did the sound on this should be fired. The choir sounded terrible. I could barely hear the soloists. 

Oliver Graves:  (Stand up comic - looked like Robert Smith) I liked him. He had a couple of good lines. 

Angel Garcia:  (Another boy singer) Nice voice. Better than the precocious boy rapper. The judges didn't have any debate with the girl from The Ring when she sang the Black Crowes song.  Or the little girl who sang My Way. Suddenly they're concerned about appropriate song choice? 

Robot:  (Stupid waste of time).  

Pam and Oscar:  (Singing dog) That was cute. Not for a million dollars, but it was good to see it.  Pam was actually doing well at the piano for only playing for a year. 

Hunter Price:  (25 year old singer with guitar) Not much of a singer or guitar player. How many more times is Simon going to pull the "Pull another song out of you ass" routine. 

Blue Tokyo:  (Acrobats) Eh. 

Mikayla Phillips:  (15 year old girl singer)  Predictable golden buzzer. It's the last week of the auditions and Heidi hadn't used her's yet.  That makes 4 out of 5 golden buzzers, singers. They should maybe stop trying to pretend that this show isn't about pushing teenage singers or just singers in general. 

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

Hamster Wheel: (Rube Goldberg Machine) That was cool. Not a huge payoff, but it was fun to watch it go. 

I love Rube Goldberg stuff. The Franklin Institute has a video of actual Rube Goldberg and last time I was there I spent a fair bit of time just watching it.

I saw some comments on facebook calling Oliver a goth Steven Wright. I liked him. Not super hilarious but much better than it seemed like they were setting him up for (couldn't decide if they were going for "this guy will be predictably terrible because he looks weird" or "this guy will be hilarious and you'll be shocked because he looks weird"...sorta split the difference, I guess).

• Love 3
(edited)

Finally, a few acts that I liked.  Yay, me!!

I enjoyed the Rube Goldberg guys (although it was a bit slow), the board jumpers, and the father/daughter duo.  Those are the kind of acts I like to see.  Not a billion and one generic singers. I thought Oliver was a little bit amusing.      

Another Golden Buzzer singer.  Yaaaaaawwwwwwnnnnnnnn!!

On the off chance the choir wins (and my math is correct), I guess each member takes home approximately $156.25, per year. Before taxes.  

I thought it was laughable when Simon told Hunter to cut out all the BS when that whole segment was BS.  Of course he had an original song in his back pocket that sounded so much better than that karaoke crap. <rolls eyes>

Eric Cowell is adorable.                      

Edited by lb60
  • Love 5
43 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

The person who did the sound on this should be fired.

You are right.  I've been saying this since Season 1.  You would think that a major network could get it together.  This isn't Wayne's World from a basement in Aurora, lol.

• Love 4

This season has got to be one of the worst ever. TPTB don't try to hide anymore the fact that they are scripting more and more now. All the acts were a bit of a yawner!

Hamster Wheel - I liked them. One of the few acts I enjoyed last night.

Patches - This little boy just annoyed me. I didn't like his rapping and didn't like that he went through because he's a kid!

Sergei and Sasha - This was a good act but I didn't see anything I haven't seen before in past seasons. 

Angel City Chorale - This is a choir. Enough said! Choirs will never win nor will I pay to see one.

Comedian that looked like Edward Scissor Hands - Had some good lines but won't go far.

Singing Dog - This was one of the worst acts that went through! The dog didn't do anything thing but howl! It didn't sound like the dog was singing. I told my wife that the judges are going to put this act through because it's a dog.

Angel Garcia - The kid has a very good voice. I think he has one of the better voices of the kids that went through the next round.

Hunter Price - Very predictable! Just a regular singer with a regular type voice.

Mikayla Phillips - Good voice and very pretty! A good combo for The Golden Buzzer. (eyes rolling!)

The fake audience reactions, the sob stories, and Simon's predictable "stopping the singer scheme", all have gotten old.

On a more promising note, rumor has it that MelB's contract is set to expire after this season and she may not be brought back. YAY!!!!! My wish might come true.  :)   

• Love 3

I would have enjoyed the Rube Goldberg machine more if it hadn't been overridden in my area by a flash flood warning :(. For the final audition show this felt strangely flat. I'm skipping tonight's 'best of' compilation, I'm not going to spend 2 hours watching on the off chance they may feature more artists that got montaged over in the regular episodes.

I can't remember what it was exactly, but Mel B totally mispronounced something fairly common.

(edited)
12 hours ago, lynxfx said:

So 4 out of 5 golden buzzers went to singers. All of whom would have had 4 yeses. Welcome to American Voice Idol. 

I really hope that they start focusing on the variety acts during judge cut weeks because right now there are very few acts we have seen that finale worthy. (Other than acts that have already won other shows or have had decent television exposure prior)

Yup. Yet another mediocre teenage (or younger) singer getting a Golden Buzzer. How can you compare what she did to that amazing father/daughter balancing act, or the Japanese acrobatic dance troupe, who have put in thousands of hours developing their skills?  Remember Simon saying a couple of episodes ago that every show has singers but only AGT has variety acts? So why do the variety acts, for me the only reason I watch, never get Golden Buzzers?

A suburban white kid rapping. Jeez. Like we have not seen that a thousand times before. Such a special little snow flake with his  hippie Dad. I'm sure that a lot of his classmates hate him. I probably would too.

Many dogs will howl to particular musical pitches. It's not singing. In fact, it might actually be a reaction of emotional distress. Maybe the ASPCA should be notified.

OMG, are they going to trot out the "stop the singer" farce every show? It should never be done more than once a season if they want to make it seem real.

The biggest eye roll of the night for me (on a night with many) was Howie and Simon saying that Angel's song was age inappropriate. After four yesses and Golden Buzzers going to a 13 year old girl who sang "you make me feel like a natural woman" and a 14 year old girl who sang "I can give you good good loving but you gotta come home with me." Angel's song was about romantic love, which I think a teenager can understand, but the judges had issues. But they went nuts for young girls singing about sex. Does that strike anyone else as creepy?

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, rr2911 said:

The fake audience reactions, the sob stories, and Simon's predictable "stopping the singer scheme", all have gotten old.

On a more promising note, rumor has it that MelB's contract is set to expire after this season and she may not be brought back. YAY!!!!! My wish might come true.  :)   

YAY about Mel B's contract and hopeful departure!  I agree with the above.  I haven't watched this episode yet.  I watch it on Hulu instead of in real time on the network channel because I don't have to sit through the commercials.  Usually I don't want to read anyone else's posts or opinions and possible spoilers, but I like getting the PTV peeps' "previews" (for me) and will come back.

You would think that the Golden Buzzer would be reserved for an act that does something unique, dangerous, life-threatening (or just looks like it) or something so complicated and skilled it's amazing.  Singers?  Meh.

• Love 1

Another predictable Golden Buzzer. Pretty dull night. I hope these celebs pick some better golden buzzers this is reminding me of the season which Paul Won where every single one of the golden buzzers chosen by the judges didn't make the finals except for Drew Lynch and then 3 of the 4 golden buzzers by the celebs did make finals (Paul, Craig Lewis Band, Piff). I don't expect some of these Golden buzzers to go far we have the dance group, the guy singer with all the kids, Courtney, the bullying girl, and now this 15 year old singer. I expect Courtney to be there quite a while, but the others I'm not so sure. I hope these celebs pic some better people, because if Courtney is favorite at this point I'm not sure what to do think about this show anymore it seems to be obsessed with 12-15 year old singers lately.

How the judges cut works is (someone asked above). Roughly 20 acts perform. From those 20 acts the judges eliminate it down to however many the number is(its changed in different years) so like 20 perform 12 go through 8 don't etc. They decide this AFTER all the acts have performed. This usually goes on for 4 weeks. Each of the weeks there is a guest Judge they also have a golden buzzer. Marlon Wayns chose Paul and he won which I believe is the only guest judge Golden Buzzer to win. 

The celebrity judges this year are :

Ken Jeong

Chris Hardwick

Martina Mcbride

Olivia Munn

http://www.fusion-arts.com/blog/fire-cyr-wheel-americas-got-talent/

This guy isn't performing in any of them even though he got 4 yeses.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Juneau Gal said:

What the hell was that white guy with guitar situation all about? They spent a heck of a long time on him; giving each judge time to basically call the guy, in different ways, a phony. His whole affect was weird as he stood up there and took it. His big backstory is that he has been on his own since 18 and has at times gone hungry?! That describes about 90% of the US population. Nothing at all to see with that guy. Hope he is quickly cut in the next round......without screen time. 

The whole thing was painful to watch.  I'm sick of the interruption of someone's performance to ask about an original song they might have or don't do your original song, do something we all know.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, bluepiano said:

The biggest eye roll of the night for me (on a night with many) was Howie and Simon saying that Angel's song was age inappropriate. After four yesses and Golden Buzzers going to a 13 year old girl who sang "you make me feel like a natural woman" and a 14 year old girl who sang "I can give you good good loving but you gotta come home with me." Angel's song was about romantic love, which I think a teenager can understand, but the judges had issues. But they went nuts for young girls singing about sex. Does that strike anyone else as creepy?

I don't know how the two men judges could have been offended by the Spanish romantic song by  teen-aged Angel.  Strange double standard, or they hand waved the past age-inappropriate material for teens and kids and are pretending they have standards now (i.e. they just got the memo).

• Love 3

I'm just catching up with this week's episode since I have a crazy schedule (in bed by 9:00pm, so I can get up at 4:00am for my long commute to work). But anyway, I'm with many of you as far as Angel is concerned. I thought that he had a lovely voice, but I do find it hypocritical for the male judges to say, "That song's too mature for you" and yet, we have a teenager (Courtney) singing a song about sex...AND SHE GETS HOWIE'S GOLDEN BUZZER! Another teenager (the girl that got bullied - I forgot her name) singing about someone making her feel like a "natural woman" and she also gets praised (and Mel's golden buzzer).

One minute the judges tell a singer not to sing an original but to do a cover (Emmet - if I remember correctly. And Johnny Manuel from the previous year was reprimanded for singing an original). And then they turn around and interrupts a singer and says, "Do you have another song, an original?" Good god, make up your minds!!!

I agree that the whole situation with the guitar player (who's name escapes me) seemed contrived. "Can you sing another song?" "Come on, what's your story?" Simon stopping another singer...we're starting to see through redundancy here. Maybe this is being done for dramatic effect. 

At least we don't have Mel B. throwing her water at Simon...or did we...? That's how forgetful most of this season has been for me so far...

I'm bored with this season. And I'll admit, none of the four singers that received golden buzzers moved me. I'll probably forget this week's GB like I have forgotten the previous week's GB from time to time. I don't mean to be rude, but I'm not seeing anything new, moving or exciting or anything that I would pay $100 to see with those four singers. Courtney might make it far, as she did get far on Voice (Kid?) UK.

I'm rooting for the acrobatic cats. 

• Love 5
(edited)
18 hours ago, CelticBlackCat said:

YAY about Mel B's contract and hopeful departure!  I agree with the above.  I haven't watched this episode yet.  I watch it on Hulu instead of in real time on the network channel because I don't have to sit through the commercials.  Usually I don't want to read anyone else's posts or opinions and possible spoilers, but I like getting the PTV peeps' "previews" (for me) and will come back.

You would think that the Golden Buzzer would be reserved for an act that does something unique, dangerous, life-threatening (or just looks like it) or something so complicated and skilled it's amazing.  Singers?  Meh.

Yeah, and what makes it worse is that singers have it the absolutely easiest to come up with additional material each week. They just have to sing another song. While the variety/danger acts are always being told they need to return with something more spectacular. Even the dance groups get criticized for doing the same dance moves. While I don't think I've ever heard a singer criticized for singing the same type of song, week after week.

I suspect the Golden Buzzers are used for singers the producers want to go far, but realize that the viewing public might get tired of by the time the lives shows start. Like the Scottish girl who jumped around like she had a nerve condition and made Joe Cocker faces. Half way through her song I already felt I never wanted to see or hear her again.

I'm with you about Mel B. She has become a parody of herself, just repeatedly spouting a few catch phrases ("What just happened?") instead of giving any kind of actual critique. I guess all the judges repeat themselves to some extent, but they at least appear to be somewhat engaged. Mel B. generally appears bored and like she could care less. I would be happy with a whole new set of judges, but replacing Mel B would be a good start.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 3

I love Rube Goldberg machines, and while I don't think they're a great fit for this show, I'll enjoy watching these guys for as long as they stick around.

Everybody went to middle school with a Patches, and he was the goddamn worst. Five bucks says he gave himself that nickname.

I really enjoyed Sergei and Sasha. Sasha especially was extremely likable and charismatic--she was smiling the whole way through the act, I thought it brought the whole thing up a level.

I usually hate choirs on this show (and they will never win) but god damn it this one actually made an attempt to stand out and really brought their all to the audition. The part with audience participation really sold me. Hope they can sustain it through however many rounds they have left.

Aw I liked Oliver! I wish he had stuck to the "character" a little more faithfully, even if that was an emotional moment for him, it kinda ruined the magic.

In theory, the singing dog shouldn't have gone through, but he was just so precious! I agree with the person who said the lady seemed like a once in a million "real" person on this show who just genuinely wanted to show people her dog could do this. I have a feeling this will be one of those acts that disappears before judge cuts but it was just the kind of pick-me-up I needed.

Whoa man, that Hunter Price nonsense was a microcosm of everything wrong with this show. First you start with a mediocre singer. Now, usually these types have some bizarre and tragic backstory that helps them to stand out from the other mediocre singers, and the way the judges/producers were so desperate to pull that story out of him made me uncomfortable. Then you have Simon's "do you have another song?" shtick, which has grown oh so tiresome. This show, for all its fakeyness, is still a big deal, and if you can't nail it on your first try then you have no business making it to the next round. And of course the inconsistency between whether we like original songs or not. And finally, the rare but nevertheless irritating occurrence of an act who does not nail it making it through to the next round on some imagined potential that they can be better. Usually one act a season gets this treatment and they never live up to the expectations. And Hunter himself was odd. So, his "story" is that he's been on his own since he was 18. Ya know, like most people. Also, he said his mom entered him in a karaoke competition when he was 18, so...? And his whole demeanor was so shifty and nervous, it felt like he was hiding something. Like, y'all...did he kill someone? I think he killed someone.

Between WhatsHerFace and last season's Angelina Green, Heidi certainly has a type for her Golden Buzzer: mediocre curly-haired brunette teenage girl singer that she clearly only picks because auditions are winding down and she hasn't hit her buzzer yet.

12 hours ago, Superclam said:

I was thinking that. I wonder if he'll be replaced. 

Count me in as another one a little stunned about Hardwick--the timing truly could not be worse on that one. I don't see a way that they could replace him. The judge cuts were already taped months ago, so they would've had to gather all those acts back together between when the news broke and now to recreate the episode for another celeb judge, which would be impossible (it would especially be difficult to get the acts that had been eliminated back and performing at their best like nothing happened). 

Wasn't Hardwick a celeb guest judge last season too, he gave Angelica Hale her golden buzzer? Surprised it's that hard to get B- and C-listers to come in and tape for a day.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, giaNtsandYankees said:

I'm just catching up with this week's episode since I have a crazy schedule (in bed by 9:00pm, so I can get up at 4:00am for my long commute to work). But anyway, I'm with many of you as far as Angel is concerned. I thought that he had a lovely voice, but I do find it hypocritical for the male judges to say, "That song's too mature for you" and yet, we have a teenager (Courtney) singing a song about sex...AND SHE GETS HOWIE'S GOLDEN BUZZER! Another teenager (the girl that got bullied - I forgot her name) singing about someone making her feel like a "natural woman" and she also gets praised (and Mel's golden buzzer).

One minute the judges tell a singer not to sing an original but to do a cover (Emmet - if I remember correctly. And Johnny Manuel from the previous year was reprimanded for singing an original). And then they turn around and interrupts a singer and says, "Do you have another song, an original?" Good god, make up your minds!!!

I agree that the whole situation with the guitar player (who's name escapes me) seemed contrived. "Can you sing another song?" "Come on, what's your story?" Simon stopping another singer...we're starting to see through redundancy here. Maybe this is being done for dramatic effect. 

At least we don't have Mel B. throwing her water at Simon...or did we...? That's how forgetful most of this season has been for me so far...

I'm bored with this season. And I'll admit, none of the four singers that received golden buzzers moved me. I'll probably forget this week's GB like I have forgotten the previous week's GB from time to time. I don't mean to be rude, but I'm not seeing anything new, moving or exciting or anything that I would pay $100 to see with those four singers. Courtney might make it far, as she did get far on Voice (Kid?) UK.

I'm rooting for the acrobatic cats. 

Total truth in the whole post. All these things annoy me.

What do the judges want? Originals? Covers? (They complain about both)

Enough with the you suck at this song, but do this instead !!!!!

Now the new complaint is the choice of song doesn't fit your age level wtf???

Yes that TEENAGER really feels like a NATURAL WOMAN.

• Love 2

I liked Oliver!  I'm kind of a sucker for goths and he seemed like he's really a sweet guy underneath all that crazy hair and black and sparkly eyeshadow.  I also liked his costume.

Pam and Oscar were entertaining too.  I noticed that after their act, Oscar seemed like he was following what was being said with his facial expressions and looked over to Pam everytime someone gave them a yes.  (At least Mel B pulled through with one.)  Tyra getting on all fours on the floor with Oscar backstage was just weird.  Fortunately, Oscar took it in stride.

• Love 1
On 7/11/2018 at 5:05 PM, Superclam said:

I'm not gonna argue about this! 

I hated the other rapper in an earlier episode "he shoulda put the gun down" girl. I was absolutely mystified that they liked her. All she did was repeat herself. It was all about the sob story of her dad being shot before she was born. Which is sad, but doesn't make you talented.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, OrigamiNightmare said:

I hated the other rapper in an earlier episode "he shoulda put the gun down" girl. I was absolutely mystified that they liked her. All she did was repeat herself. It was all about the sob story of her dad being shot before she was born. Which is sad, but doesn't make you talented.

Wow, that seems so long ago... 

• Love 3
(edited)
13 hours ago, helenamonster said:

Count me in as another one a little stunned about Hardwick--the timing truly could not be worse on that one. I don't see a way that they could replace him. The judge cuts were already taped months ago, so they would've had to gather all those acts back together between when the news broke and now to recreate the episode for another celeb judge, which would be impossible (it would especially be difficult to get the acts that had been eliminated back and performing at their best like nothing happened). 

All they have to do is film the new guest judge making faces or being WOWed by some act that he/she isn't even seeing. This new film will be cut into the already-filmed acts. Then they'd have to film the four judges doing their scripted patter about how they liked/didn't like the act. Only one act would have to come back for the golden buzzer confetti drop, and that could be done on any day when no one else is there, including any of the judges.

This show is so spliced together, no one would be the wiser. As far as we know, that's being done now.

ETA: Actually, the new guest judge could just hit the buzzer for the same group that Hardwick picked, so the act and the confetti drop is already filmed. This is getting easier and easier!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4
On 7/12/2018 at 4:48 AM, rr2911 said:

Angel City Chorale - This is a choir. Enough said! Choirs will never win nor will I pay to see one.

Kind of a sad sentiment. Choirs are awesome. I sing in a choir. Lots of people pay (good) money to see us. Not the kind of choir that performs on talent shows though. Nothing but (badly) transcribed pop songs and the occasional gospel. I guess the sentiment is that classical music is too boring for TV. It makes me wonder though, I'm willing to bet there's pretty significant overlap between people who watch AGT and people who enjoy classical music. And there are plenty of amazing choral works (also short ones, fit for a TV show segment) that I'm willing to bet would move an audience more than the sappiest of sappy sob stories when sung well.

I suppose it's a general reflection on a weird bias these shows seem to have against musical acts that aren't solo singers (or, very rarely, a band). You never see an amazing violinist, cellist or even pianist on AGT. The few ones they have always need to have a gimmick (i.e. violinists that also dance and prance). Maybe it's because the really good ones, good enough to make a living off of it, are already doing just that, and we can't have professionals competing with singing dogs and cute singing kids. But then again, I'm pretty sure that 99% of acrobats on this shows are also just that, professional acrobats.

Anyways, just a bit of musing triggered by my reflexive need to defend choral music. I guess I do have something to say about the episode, speaking of singing dogs. I loved that act, same as I loved the piano-playing chicken of a past season. Reason is simple: it's more amusing to me that all the stand up comics combined.

• Love 1

Whoa man, that Hunter Price nonsense was a microcosm of everything wrong with this show.

Someone fax this to the show's producers--because they might still think faxes have more impact.

In my head, I imagined Hunter Price singing that song from BASEketball that tells Joe Cooper to never give up, and also get that cheese out of his hair and to slow down, because he just missed a turn.  Even so, I wish him good luck.

The woman who did Dorothy from the montaged Wizard of Oz dance team looked a little like Arianna Grande.

There's a fun game some of us can play--how old were you when you had personally met better singers than each of the Golden Buzzer people this year?  (Concerts don't count unless you had a backstage pass, but bar bands do.)  In my case, somewhere in college, but I went to a small high school.

An alltime AGT snoozefest.  

Any number of magicians we've seen would have own this night hands down.  As always, it;s about the grouping by TPTB.  As the cuts occur, it is all about slotting.  2 magicians, 2 variety acts, 4 singers, or whatever - to make good and dang sire at least two singers will make it to the Finale.

If George Carlin, Harry Houdini, Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, Gene Kelly, Louis Armstrong, and Eddie Murphy appeared all at once and in their prime in a semi-final, at least two of them would be eliminated in order that we have singers.  

There was a noticeable reduction in dare acts requiring outside/remote taping.  This was another differentiator from the singing shows that has regrettably gone away.

Howie has also noticeably been reined in.  Smart move.  He can still bring the whacky as needed.   

My understanding is that Mel B re-upped for multiple years on Britain's Got Talent.   Simon genuinely likes her.  I'll be surprised if she isn't offered a renewed contract. 

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:44 PM, CrashTextDummie said:

Kind of a sad sentiment. Choirs are awesome. I sing in a choir. Lots of people pay (good) money to see us. Not the kind of choir that performs on talent shows though. Nothing but (badly) transcribed pop songs and the occasional gospel. I guess the sentiment is that classical music is too boring for TV. It makes me wonder though, I'm willing to bet there's pretty significant overlap between people who watch AGT and people who enjoy classical music. And there are plenty of amazing choral works (also short ones, fit for a TV show segment) that I'm willing to bet would move an audience more than the sappiest of sappy sob stories when sung well.

I suppose it's a general reflection on a weird bias these shows seem to have against musical acts that aren't solo singers (or, very rarely, a band). You never see an amazing violinist, cellist or even pianist on AGT. The few ones they have always need to have a gimmick (i.e. violinists that also dance and prance). Maybe it's because the really good ones, good enough to make a living off of it, are already doing just that, and we can't have professionals competing with singing dogs and cute singing kids. But then again, I'm pretty sure that 99% of acrobats on this shows are also just that, professional acrobats.

Anyways, just a bit of musing triggered by my reflexive need to defend choral music. I guess I do have something to say about the episode, speaking of singing dogs. I loved that act, same as I loved the piano-playing chicken of a past season. Reason is simple: it's more amusing to me that all the stand up comics combined.

Well, good for you that people pay to see your choir. However, the way I judge these acts is by asking if I would pay to see such performances. I also judge based on me going to shows and stuff, I just think that a choir, even a great choir is just not a "must see" performance. Your choir might be the exception. A choir would best be suited as a complimentary act, background to the main act.