Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06 Delicate and Strangely Made 2018.06.27

• Start Topic

(edited)

Why is it that white people just can’t leave black folks alone?

I wish Micah could have shoved that traitor flag up the white guys ass, sine he acts like he wants to be fucked by it.

That “property “ looked like a vacant lot, or someplace to put a trailer park, fuck that asshole getting all butt hurt about it.

BTW fuck you Ralph Angel and fuck you Nova.  What a pair of losers.  RA has some random guy staying in the same house as his minor child and Nova just wants her sisters sloppy seconds.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 2
(edited)

Charley can be such a unnecessary bitch. All Nova wanted to do was comfort her sister, and all Charley could do was snap at her.

I could see if things were tense between the two, but they've been fairly close for awhile now.

Ralph Angel is a complete jerk. Darla is severely flawed, but at least she's taking relatively healthy steps to deal with her trauma.

Ralph Angel has two settings: wallow or lash out, all while being coddled by everyone else in his life.

Micah needs to slow down. In an era of Permit Patty's and BBQ Becky's, black people can never be too safe.

Violet needs serious therapy. She hasn't dealt with the extent of her illness and it's negatively affecting everyone around her.

Speaking of therapy, Blue needs to be in intense therapy too.

Remy needs a hobby....besides pestering Nova.

Davis is quickly surpassing Ralph Angel as the Ultimate Worst.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 3

Ah, I wish Charley had called the detective lady to talk to instead of meeting Jacob. I know she’s on Charley’s payroll but she seems like someone Charley could vent to.

Micah, Micah, stop ditching Keke. Ditch the woke kids. I feel those kids are gonna bring him down. 

Nova’s pathetic. She waits until she gets the news about Davis before meeting Charley? That means she never returned Charley’s call. I give her some credit for reaching out to Charley (late as it was) when no one else has but this family...... 

Geez. Parole guy got some nerve inviting people to RA’s house without him knowing. RA took a chance on him, inviting him in his home since he claims to not have a place to stay. Why couldn't he stay with one of his spades players? He deserved to be kicked out.

RA has a nasty temper. I probably shouldn't be but I was surprised to see him act like that in front of Blue. 

Remy’s an ass constantly texting Nova. Is he so arrogant and oblivious to not see getting involve with the sister of your ex is a sticky situation and while he may be ready to go all in, Nova may not be? 

Vi's gonna work herself to an early grave. She's trying to do too much on her own. I hope she has Charley's lawyer look at the contract and she gets more people for her business. 

Argh, why did next Wednesday have to be the 4th of July?!

1 minute ago, Dee said:

Charley can be such a unnecessary bitch. All Nova wanted to do was comfort her sister, and all Charley could do was snap at her.

I could see if things were tense between the two, but they've been fairly close for awhile now.

Micah needs to slow down. In an era of Permit Patty's and BBQ Becky's, black people can never be too safe.

In Charley's defense, Nova waited until she heard the news from radio, phone or TV about Davis before coming to see her. I assume a day has passed since Charley called her family and no one responded to her calls. So I imagined Charley is pissed Nova waited until evening the next night to contact her. 

I need sleep. I misread Permit Patty for Peppermint Patty. It took a minute for me to realize what you meant. LOL! 

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Arcadiasw said:

In Charley's defense, Nova waited until she heard the news from radio, phone or TV about Davis before coming to see her. I assume a day has passed since Charley called her family and no one responded to her calls. So I imagined Charley is pissed Nova waited until evening the next night to contact her.

I get that Charley was under extreme stress and things were still relatively tense about Charley's Landry/Boudreaux plans, but it's not as if Nova, who has a right to have a life too, was purposefully ignoring her.

And it's usually Nova doing most of the heavy lifting in their relationship, so Charley doesn't have much room to complain imo.

• Love 1
(edited)
15 hours ago, Dee said:

14 hours ago, Dee said:

get that Charley was under extreme stress and things were still relatively tense about Charley's Landry/Boudreaux plans, but it's not as if Nova, who has a right to have a life too, was purposefully ignoring her.

But she kind of was purposely ignoring her. She took the whole damn day to stare at Remy's text but couldn't call or text Charley,at least to ask if she's up for company? She's just gonna show up at her doorstep at the end of the day, not because she cares really, but because she's feeling guilty over Remy? Yeah, I would have told my sis and anyone else to GTFOH too. Especially if no one bothered to call her back from that day.

Nova is dumb as hell, anyway. Is she even stopping to think about why Remy is all of a sudden into her? Or about the fact that he apparently never gave her a second glance until he broke up with Charley? If a family friend hung around but didn't show interest in me until after he and my sister broke up, I would be so disgusted that I would probably never speak to him again. I sure wouldn't be crying tears about losing out on him.

I need a break from RA, I really do. I absolutely can't stand his hypocrisy and his indignation toward Darla. Yeah, she fucked up but he's not perfect either. She's allowed to get mad at his fuckups (especially when they affect Blue) just as much as he's allowed to get mad at her fuckups. Imagine how RA would react if she had felons hanging around her place or  if she was all over town chasing the first available piece of ass that came her way. RA is definitely too immature to be in a relationship. The Asian girl can definitely do so much better than his loser ass.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 10
15 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

But she kind of was purposely ignoring her. She took the whole damn day to stare at Remy's text but couldn't call or text Charley,at least to ask if she's up for company?

As I said before, Nova usually does most of the heavy lifting in their relationship. The fact that she was, relatively, lax about responding to Charley shouldn't be held against her imo. It's not as if if the shoe was on the other foot Charley would eagerly reciprocate the favor. Charley has seen Nova in distress several times since she's returned to St. Joe and she's been totally ok with ignoring her Nova's pain, until recently, if it doesn't suit her purposes.

Nova isn't Charley's personal handmaiden. She, like the rest of the Bordelon's, has her own life and troubles, to deal with. The fact that she was so conflicted about how to respond to Remy is a sign that she definitely cares about her sisters feelings.

It sucks that Davis is such a massive dog but it's not the rest of the family's responsibility to constantly act as Charley's paid servants. Nor is Charley much more inclined to share her innermost feelings than most of her relatives, which is why she clings to Micah so fiercely.

Why doesn't Charley have any friends? Ernest had friends, Nova has friends, Violet has friends, Hollywood has friends, Micah & Blue have friends, even perpetually surly Ralph Angel has friends.

Charley is the only Bordelon who hasn't made an attempt to widen her social circle beyond her family.

• Love 3

I bet charly doesn't have friends because she's so driven. Even in L.A. I bet she had associates and/or acquaintances.  Searching for the almighty buck and looking for the next contract.  It was Davis st 1st- now the sugar cane.  She probably feels she has little or no peers in lil old Weeziana

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Dee said:

As I said before, Nova usually does most of the heavy lifting in their relationship. The fact that she was, relatively, lax about responding to Charley shouldn't be held against her imo. It's not as if if the shoe was on the other foot Charley would eagerly reciprocate the favor. Charley has seen Nova in distress several times since she's returned to St. Joe and she's been totally ok with ignoring her Nova's pain, until recently, if it doesn't suit her purposes.

Nova isn't Charley's personal handmaiden. She, like the rest of the Bordelon's, has her own life and troubles, to deal with. The fact that she was so conflicted about how to respond to Remy is a sign that she definitely cares about her sisters feelings.

It sucks that Davis is such a massive dog but it's not the rest of the family's responsibility to constantly act as Charley's paid servants. Nor is Charley much more inclined to share her innermost feelings than most of her relatives, which is why she clings to Micah so fiercely.

Why doesn't Charley have any friends? Ernest had friends, Nova has friends, Violet has friends, Hollywood has friends, Micah & Blue have friends, even perpetually surly Ralph Angel has friends.

Charley is the only Bordelon who hasn't made an attempt to widen her social circle beyond her family.

When has Nova been in distress around Charley and Charley ignored it. When Nova was struggling to find an outfit for her tv interview she called Charley and Charley showed up to help. Nova talked to Charley about her issues with her relationship with the Dr. and the pic of Nova and Charley that Nova looked at while in bed was another moment In which Charley was there for Nova it was from the scene  Charley listened to Nova’s fear about writing her book and then told her “Don't lead with the fear of what might be. Lead with the strength of who you are.” So I don’t see where Nova is doing all the heavy lifting in there relationship. And Nova didn’t contact Charley outta guilt not because she has her on life and was too busy. 

How does her family picking up the phone when she calls or calling to check on her after she got life changing news equate to them being paid servants?

When Ra learned Blue wasn’t his who did he call his family. Charley and Nova were there when he got the DNA results to comfort and support him. Were they being his paid servants? Charley finding out her ex husband had a secret child 3 or 4 years into their marriage imo is just about the same level of devastating.

As for Charley not having any friends when has she had the free time to make any between learning to run a farm (season 1),opening a Mill (season 2),divorcing her husband, dating Remy, and now trying to orchestrate a hostile take over she has been very busy. The only characters we’ve seen make new friends are Micah ( in school) and Ralph Angel ( new job) everyone else’s friends are the same they’ve had from living/growing there. 

• Love 14
5 hours ago, Dee said:

I get that Charley was under extreme stress and things were still relatively tense about Charley's Landry/Boudreaux plans, but it's not as if Nova, who has a right to have a life too, was purposefully ignoring her.

And it's usually Nova doing most of the heavy lifting in their relationship, so Charley doesn't have much room to complain imo.

I get what you're saying but it was a whole day before any family contacted Charley. It doesn't always happen but immediate  family of all people should respond to another's phone call in less than 24 hours. 

• Love 1

The texting between Nova and Remy were annoying and boring. Meet face to face. WTH show? 

7 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

The Asian girl can definitely do so much better than his loser ass.

At least RA smiled and laughed when he was with her. Something we hardly ever see with him. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Dee said:

8 hours ago, Kirkydee said:

I bet charly doesn't have friends because she's so driven. Even in L.A. I bet she had associates and/or acquaintances.  Searching for the almighty buck and looking for the next contract.  It was Davis st 1st- now the sugar cane.  She probably feels she has little or no peers in lil old Weeziana

Easy answer: Writing. :)

Charley reflect a lot of adults. Many adults don't have friends. Careers, family, personal issues take up a lot of time. In Charley's case, she had a lot to do in a year: get a divorce, start a mill and move. She tried a relationship (too soon) and that didn't work out. At this point, she's hardly had time to make friends and given how some farmers and other citizens view her, it may not be easy for her. Even her L.A. friends can't relate to her now. 

Side note: Is a year a realistic timeline for Queen Sugar? I thought going in season three over a year had passed. 

• Love 2

There I was softening toward RA on his date and then he had to go home and be such a total prick. I don't even understand why Darla has to fight for access to Blue anyway. The fact that RA isn't Blue's biological father doesn't mean SHE should lose parental rights. The lie was awful, but she's still his mother.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Arcadiasw said:

Easy answer: Writing. :)

Charley reflect a lot of adults. Many adults don't have friends. Careers, family, personal issues take up a lot of time. In Charley's case, she had a lot to do in a year: get a divorce, start a mill and move. She tried a relationship (too soon) and that didn't work out. At this point, she's hardly had time to make friends and given how some farmers and other citizens view her, it may not be easy for her. Even her L.A. friends can't relate to her now. 

Side note: Is a year a realistic timeline for Queen Sugar? I thought going in season three over a year had passed. 

I listened to an episode of This American Life in which there was a story about making friends as an adult. It's really hard. I've made three new casual friends in the last two years ("want to get a drink/lunch?" kind of friends, not "tell all your secrets" close friends) and I met them through work. Charley is the boss so socializing at work is harder for her, and she likely doesn't employ many women around her age given the nature of the business. Charley has moved away from her LA circle (and odds are good those were acquaintances, not close friends, and she may want to dissociate herself from them anyway - I would) to a place where she doesn't know people outside of her family and the town views her as an outsider, AND she's started a new business in that time, AND Micah is old enough that she wouldn't really have the same interactions with his friends' parents that she would have when he was little. I'm not at all surprised that she doesn't have friends. Where would she find them? And she's been a mother since she was in college, so it's not like she would have had time to make a lot of friends then when dealing with the demands of a baby.

6 minutes ago, gesundheit said:

There I was softening toward RA on his date and then he had to go home and be such a total prick. I don't even understand why Darla has to fight for access to Blue anyway. The fact that RA isn't Blue's biological father doesn't mean SHE should lose parental rights. The lie was awful, but she's still his mother.

It really bothers me the way the Bordelons are treating Darla. Yes, it was a betrayal, but she shouldn't have to continue to twist herself in knots - as she says, she's spent the last three years doing a LOT of work to get her shit together for her son, and Blue clearly loves and trusts her, and she's his mother. She shouldn't have to beg them to let her see him.

I liked RA with Trinh. Their date was very sweet. But then he acted a straight fool in the last scene and I was like, "Trinh, girl, run."

I'm glad Vi is coming into her own, but she also needs some pragmatism - she needs her own lawyer to look over whatever contract is put in front of her. She said a word when she said that survival and being happy are different. It does bother me that she barks orders at her grown nieces though.

Remy and Nova zzzzzzzz

• Love 10

Yeah, it strikes me as odd that Vi resists Hollywood's assistance so much because she wants to be an independent, stand-on-her-own businesswoman, but a ton of the labor for her business is entirely free because she orders her nieces to do it.

• Love 11
7 hours ago, Kay-Kay said:

When has Nova been in distress around Charley and Charley ignored it.

When Nova was clearly upset about Ralph Angel's will reveal, Charley saw how upset Nova was, and walked right past her. Or Charley screaming at Nova for not "defending" her when a couple of radio dj's press her for details about her sister's marital strife.

So I don’t see where Nova is doing all the heavy lifting in there relationship.

Nova can easily read Charley enough that she can tell her mood over the phone. She's repeatedly dropped things, or pushed her own issues at the time aside, to comfort Charley. She's gone above & beyond, repeatedly, to be support her sister, despite their differences. Nova has defended Charley against everyone, including at times even herself, only for Charley to largely remain self obsessed.

That's why I pointed out a few episodes ago, how bizarre it was for Charley to bypass confiding in Nova altogether, about her Landry/Boudreaux plans, to instead lean on Ralph Angel, who has been nothing but a source of drama for her since their dad's funeral.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, gesundheit said:

Yeah, it strikes me as odd that Vi resists Hollywood's assistance so much because she wants to be an independent, stand-on-her-own businesswoman, but a ton of the labor for her business is entirely free because she orders her nieces to do it.

Vi's gonna have to learn to share the money. She will have to make even more pies now and her, Nova, the other lady and Hollywood will not be enough staff to fill those impending orders. 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Arcadiasw said:

Vi's gonna have to learn to share the money. She will have to make even more pies now and her, Nova, the other lady and Hollywood will not be enough staff to fill those impending orders. 

Yeah, she's at the point where she needs employees. She should ask Charley for some help getting her business really going; she's past the "one woman in her kitchen" stage, which is great but she's got to make some adjustments. And Nova really should be focusing on HER work, not Vi's. Not to say that she can't help out but Vi needs people whose sole focus is Vi's Pies, and to get that she's going to have to pay them. Which is not a bad problem to have!

• Love 5
(edited)

Honestly, everyone in this show needs some damn therapy. Or a vacation. Or both. Everyone seems to be either pissed off, hanging with people that might not be good for them, making out with their sisters exs, or just making dumb choices for no reasons. 

God, the second I start to feel good feelings for RA on his date, he acts like a bitter bitch all over the place. Yeah Darla messed up (I would argue that she messed up telling everyone in the first place about Blue not being RAs bio kid worse than the actual incident) but RA has messed up a billion times more than Darla as far as we know! I am just so sick of him constantly being a belligerent, petty, asshole. Darla has just as much right to be with Blue as RA, why is that even a question now that she`s sober? This is ridiculous. Poor Blue. The Vietnamese American girl deserves better. 

Why in the world is Vi not acknowledging her illness, or acting accordingly? Pride? privacy? I want her to do well with her pie business, come on Vi!

Charlie was short with Nova, but Nova is the one ignoring her sisters calls while macking on her sisters ex. Nova and Remy might actually be a good match. They are good leaders and do great things to inspire their communities, but they are both a hot mess when it comes to their personal lives. Both sisters need to sit down and have some serious real talk with each other, and start really helping each other.

Micah wanting to get more active in fighting for justice is great, but I dont see things going well with these Woke kids. They dont seem to be actually doing much beyond just showing up and being pissed, which, yeah is certainly something to do, but I would think you want to do something a bit more to make a real difference. I feel like violence could happen eventually, its lucky that nothing happened here. Also, I know I've said this before, but I just do not get the guys running around waving their stupid confederate flags. I mean, I dont get racists either, but running around waving that flag with pride (especially as they seem to also be the guys calling themselves Patriots) is just so stupid. Like, on a practical level. How can you call yourself a loyal American, and wave a flag for people who committed treason? And didnt even win! And, you know, WERE DEFENDING SLAVERY!!! Yeah, I know why they actually do it, but...ug! I always remember a conversation I had with my dad when I was a little kid, and I saw a house with a Confederate flag on it, and I was baffled. First, because we lived in Indiana, a NORTHERN state, and even kid me knew that we fought for the Union (including many of my direct ancestors!), and also because, as my small self said "why would they want to be like them? They were the bad guys?" and my dad said something like "some of them just dont think, and some of them want to feel proud of something without doing anything worth being proud of." So thats what I always think of. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, Dee said:

When Nova was clearly upset about Ralph Angel's will reveal, Charley saw how upset Nova was, and walked right past her. Or Charley screaming at Nova for not "defending" her when a couple of radio dj's press her for details about her sister's marital strife.

Nova can easily read Charley enough that she can tell her mood over the phone. She's repeatedly dropped things, or pushed her own issues at the time aside, to comfort Charley. She's gone above & beyond, repeatedly, to be support her sister, despite their differences. Nova has defended Charley against everyone, including at times even herself, only for Charley to largely remain self obsessed.

That's why I pointed out a few episodes ago, how bizarre it was for Charley to bypass confiding in Nova altogether, about her Landry/Boudreaux plans, to instead lean on Ralph Angel, who has been nothing but a source of drama for her since their dad's funeral.

Charley didn’t scream at Nova for not defending her to those Dj’s she was upset because  Nova telling them not to victim blame Goldie could’ve been taken as Davis being guilty since it was coming from his wife’s sister someone the public would assume to know all the details.Charley at that point only believed Davis had consensual sex w/ Goldie twice and was not guilty of  rape.

All three of the siblings were upset about the will reveal and none of them comforted each other only Aunt Vi did. Nova didn’t put her pain/anger aside to comfort Charley or Ralph so how is it a negative that Charley didn’t either. Nova can read everybody that’s a character trait of hers it’s not specific to her relationship w/ Charley she has read  Ra & Aunt Vi moods to. Also  the 4 times we’ve seen Nova comfort a distraught Charley they haven’t been times of Nova dropping anything for Charley specifically. Nova was already at the hospital when Charley ran in crying, she  was already at the house because of the storm when she comforted Charley about the dead migrant workers, Charley showed up to her house  after being caught kissing Remy by Micah she didn’t look busy then, and at the mill during Charley’s breakdown she was already there for the opening as a guest not having to drop anything to comfort her sister. Heck her showing up at Charley house last night wasn’t even her dropping anything she went after she did everything she had/wanted to do for the day. 

The only time Nova has really defended Charley imo has been this season to Micah after she started the argument about Charley’s business plan in front of the whole family instead of pulling Charley to the side. Her defending Charley was her walking back some the shit that she said that Micah latched onto to use against his mother’s character.

I don’t see how Charley is self obsessed when she has been working to help her family and all the black farmers. She didn’t stay in run the farm for herself she uprooted herself and Micah to run the farm for a year because Ralph wanted to. She opened the mill  not because she need a ego boost being the first black woman to do so but to give the black farmers a fair deal. She is only doing this takeover plan because she still wants to help the black farmers. Even though they put her in the position of almost losing her mill in the first place by listening to the Landry’s rumors. She has also been there for her family when asked she looked over Vi’s first pie contract, helped Nova (listed in previous post)and Ralph (paying him out of her pocket so he can work on the farm and meet his parole requirements)

Charley didn’t confide in Nova because the fewer people that know her plan the easier it will be for her plan to work.  Remy only knows because he was working at the mill and was there when she first decided to take down the Landry’s. She only told Ralph her plan because if you remember at the end of last season she told him that she wanted him to mill with he Landry’s. Ralph probably wouldn’t have done it if she didn’t tell him the plan. Nova doesn’t own a part of the farm anymore ,doesn’t help run the day to day, and has no ownership in the mill so their wasn’t a reason for Charley to tell her the plan. Even if she wasn’t only telling   the people who needed to know her plan  and wanted to tell Nova to have someone to vent to she knows her sister well enough to know that Nova would have not agreed with her plan and lectured on how wrong she was to make that decision.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Both sisters need to sit down and have some serious real talk with each other, and start really helping each other.

Charley won't let that happen. She's way too stubborn.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Honestly, everyone in this show needs some damn therapy. Or a vacation. Or both. Everyone seems to be either pissed off, hanging with people that might not be good for them, making out with their sisters exs, or just making dumb choices for no reasons. 

I agree with this.  What therapy does is teach a person how to deal with what is going on with them, instead of take it out on someone else, which is what everybody in this family does. 

Example:  Nova got mad at Charley for ignoring her, so she texts Charley's ex.

Example:  Charley calls her family after she finds out about Davis, no one's around.  But instead of just sitting with her feelings, she goes out to a bar and meets up with, what's his name.  She would have been better calling that Hispanic guy.

Example:  Blue is scared Darla will leave again, so he pushes another boy when he says something about Darla.

Example:  Nearly everything Ralph Angel does.

• Love 5
On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:22 PM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Ralph Angel I knew this guy would be trouble, he has no respect for anyone else's home. He's a thug, some people you just can't help.  Micah is heading for trouble, a lot of this acting out has to do with Davis. Charley good riddance to Davis, you deserve better girl. Nova, what can I say ..  Aunt Vi , this is a  great opportunity, but tread very carefully.  I get the feeling this will not be without some drama, Vi can be very stubborn.  Can someone please tell me who the artist was singing in the soundtrack at the end.. all I heard was"Please don't tempt my Heart again ?

• Love 1

Darla has a nice place. Sure hope she can stay straight for Blue's sake.

Kids can be so cruel. Poor Blue.

Yeah, Aunt Vi better run that deal by Charley and an attorney. If it sounds too good to be true...

This sure has been a slow buildup to an inevitable custody battle between Darla and RA. And most of the audience is probably waiting for RA to blurt out in front of Blue that he's not Blue's daddy. Seems like he got close to doing it in this episode.

• Love 1

I think, given Darla's history, that Ralph Angel has every right to be cautious.

A drug addict is never cured -and in most cases, it's a matter of when they relapse, not if.

She's been working hard for three years - but how long was she getting high? How many times did Ralph Angel watch her relapse?

Darla is always going to be an addict - Ralph Angel shouldn't forget that. 

• Love 1

I like a thoughtful pace, but QS needs to amp it up! We've known all along that 1) Davis is a dog, and known for a while that 2) Nova and Remy got a thing going on.

That said, I did feel Charley's pain at that added betrayal and appreciated the plot device throwing her in Landrieu's (or whatever his name is) way.

I have not seen Remy and Nova together enough to determine if it makes sense. Sometimes people just starting looking at each other differently one day, so it could happen. But I sincerely hope it is not a plot device to thrown tension to Nova and Charley again--they can generate that a lot more naturally. Her looking at the same text all day was annoying.

While it is depressing clear that there are people like those confederate-flag-waving kids, that was a little on the nose. I find Micah's struggles with his identity a much more compelling and complex story.  The kind of story that Ralph Angel could also have if someone would pay attention to his anger issues and offer some tough love or help. He's not going to fix himself!

• Love 1
On 7/1/2018 at 5:40 PM, marceline said:

I can't help but notice how Violet had a tough time accepting help from Hollywood yet she pretty much instantly accepted that offer from the store owner and his wife.

I peeped that, too. Violet is going to lose Hollywood and it would serve her right. She said earlier in the episode that Hollywood was upset that she wasn't focused on their wedding. Sounds to me like she isn't making time to be. They don't need to have some big to-do. Get it done at City Hall and then have something big later. Violet really needs to go to therapy to deal with the abuse her ex-husband put her through. It's very telling that she'd accept the owner's offer, a stranger, really, but not Hollywood's.

What's really bugging me about Violet is her making things hard when they don't have to be. There is no reason why she should still be baking her pies at the church. She should be in a commercial space and hire a staff. 

We really have to get out of the mindset that we can do everything and getting/asking for help is weak. The strong black woman trope is more damaging than the other stereotypes.

I'm over Micah and his angst. The show grinds to a halt for me when he and his woke friends are on. They annoy me. I'm also not feeling Micah blowing off KeKe. 

• Love 5
(edited)
On 7/1/2018 at 7:36 AM, mochamajesty said:

I think, given Darla's history, that Ralph Angel has every right to be cautious.

A drug addict is never cured -and in most cases, it's a matter of when they relapse, not if.

She's been working hard for three years - but how long was she getting high? How many times did Ralph Angel watch her relapse?

Darla is always going to be an addict - Ralph Angel shouldn't forget that. 

That's a terrible thing to say.  That attitude is a reason a lot of addicts relapse, because people feel just that way.

Darla may be an addict but RA's an asshole and last I checked there's no reahabs for assholes.

Darla knows she has issues and she can be the problem sometimes; but RA thinks he's fine and his issues are caused by other people.

Darla is the only person in this show who actually reacts to what's going on.  Micah's "woke-ness" is in reaction to his asshole father and that racist cop and the racist cop seemed to act out because he resented that Micah, a young black man, was driving a nice car.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

That's a terrible thing to say.  That attitude is a reason a lot of addicts relapse, because people feel just that way.

Darla may be an addict but RA's an asshole and last I checked there's no reahabs for assholes.

Let's not blame other people for an addict's relapse, ok?

I never said that Ralph Angel wasn't an asshole. I said that he was right to be cautious. 

What was Darla on? Heroin? Meth? That stuff is hard to kick. Everything that I said is true, sorry it doesn't feel good.  But neither does loving an addict. 

2 minutes ago, mochamajesty said:

Let's not blame other people for an addict's relapse, ok?

I never said that Ralph Angel wasn't an asshole. I said that he was right to be cautious. 

What was Darla on? Heroin? Meth? That stuff is hard to kick. Everything that I said is true, sorry it doesn't feel good.  But neither does loving an addict. 

And Darla has a right to be cautious as well, since RA was in jail; and didn't this show start with him robbing a convenience store?

Who's blaming others for an addict's relapse?

As Darla told Rah, she's been taking steps (over the span of years) to deal with her issues.

The only reason Ralph Angel is doing even semi-decently lately is because of Charley's resources and writer's fiat.

And how amazing it would be to watch an adult black male come to terms with his toxic masculinity! RA annoys me too, but he's his own worst enemy, and I would like to see him turn it around. I think that is why people respond to Darla--she accepts her faults and works on them. But I don't forget what she did for a second (have my own personal baggage about that), and I have no problem with Violet being cold. That is part of accepting your faults, accepting the repercussions.

I'm 45 minutes in and I've paused more than once to squint at texting.  I've watched Micah be moody and Charley be suspicious.  I've sauntered along with RA on his date.  Violet and Nova baked pies and talked.  (Newsflash: both are stubborn.)  Darla had multiple scenes trying to wheedle the motivation for bad behavior out of Blue.

Way too much filler.

I hate the woke kids too, and hate that Micah keeps blowing off KeKe. She is sweet & really cares for him.

Something is making me not trust the Rawlings, but I think I just watch TV with too much of a suspicious/cynical eye. I feel pretty certain that they are simply the device to come between Vi & Hollywood; no more, no less. And boy this show makes me crave pie more than even the 'Great British Baking Show'. They're into 'Pushing Daisies' territory now. 

On 6/29/2018 at 10:13 AM, byrd said:

Can someone please tell me who the artist was singing in the soundtrack at the end.. all I heard was"Please don't tempt my Heart again ?

Milo Greene (a band not a single person)

On 7/12/2018 at 10:44 AM, OoogleEyes said:

RA's "whisper acting" aggravates me to no end. 

Good Lord yes! I have to turn on the closed captioning for all of RA's scenes. Don't know if it is the choice of the actor, director or Ava, but it is distracting. 

• Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 1:13 AM, Toothbrush said:

I hate the woke kids too, and hate that Micah keeps blowing off KeKe. She is sweet & really cares for him.

Something is making me not trust the Rawlings, but I think I just watch TV with too much of a suspicious/cynical eye. I feel pretty certain that they are simply the device to come between Vi & Hollywood; no more, no less. And boy this show makes me crave pie more than even the 'Great British Baking Show'. They're into 'Pushing Daisies' territory now. 

Milo Greene (a band not a single person)

Good Lord yes! I have to turn on the closed captioning for all of RA's scenes. Don't know if it is the choice of the actor, director or Ava, but it is distracting. 

I so agree ! He doesn't speak that way at all. I guess it's just part of his character acting, but It's so annoying..

• Love 1