Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E08: Danger Island: A Discovery 2018.06.13

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Everyone loves The Hobbit, that's so great. Now I want a Hobbit adaptation starring this cast.

"I give up."
"How French."

I love how creepy, yet still so wimpy Fuchs was as a coked-out Mecha Hitler. And of course Cheryl of all people wasn't intimated by him.

Those final few minutes were incredible.

Spoiler

And we in space next season. And that whole set looked amazing.

Also, Seamus!

• Love 5

So what . . . "Danger Island," "Dreamland" and "regular" continuity were just simulations of life on a spaceship? Probably not, though Adam Reed can sell it. Coming in 2019: Archer in Space. Hey, maybe they'll run into Xander Crews and Killface.

Wow, "Danger Island" ended awesomely . . . with everybody hating Noah, Fuchs not getting respect, copious amounts of Hobbit referencing, and the tribal chief having a good laugh about replacing the gang's ammo with bones. And I love this quote from the AV Club review: "So R.I.P. to Danger Island Archer, a man who died as he lived: Falling into a volcano alongside a murderous Nazi robot, while bragging about sexual conquests he never actually achieved." That's so Archer and so Archer, y'know?

Pull/Push gag for the win. Once again, that's so Archer, in the sense that they're not stupid, but it didn't occur to any of them not to pull on the door.

Even though this season was a fantasy, it's sad that Luigi didn't run off with Du Du. For a big dude, he vanished so effectively. And I like French Ray's exit. "I'll go for help!!" Beat. Archer: "Merci, asshole!!!"

• Love 2

Space seems like .... another fantasy. Seriously?

This whole season was fun, but a waste. What if any significance did it have in the real world? Who cares about space?

I miss the James Bond spoof. 

• Love 3

I am loving these fantasy seasons.  Yes the James Bond spoof was awesome but it was getting old and I think it was getting long in the tooth.  Writing these fantasy seasons allows all the writers and characters to remain fresh and still be who they essentially are.  “Danger Island” was fun and I really liked the finale especially with Archer legitimate heroics saving Pam.  And Fuchs the Nazi was more fun then he had any right to be.  Loved this season.

• Love 2

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

RIP Danger Island, on to Archer in Space! Or would it be Alien Archer? I don't care, as long as Archer comes back.

BTW, lots of great scenes but nothing tops Pam farting in Mallory's face. Go Pam! Yes, I know, fart jokes, what can I say.....I'm a child

• Love 3

Least favorite season although there were a few good moments. English subtitles would've come in handy as well. Not for the foreign bits, but for english,  lol.

Was expecting some deus ex machina at the end. The idea we are actually living in a simulated reality are all the rage as plot devices lately.

I'm another one who liked the whole spy theme.  Lot more 'guest' characters were employed. This season felt dry, insular and claustrophobic

• Love 5
4 hours ago, mammaM said:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

RIP Danger Island, on to Archer in Space! Or would it be Alien Archer? I don't care, as long as Archer comes back.

BTW, lots of great scenes but nothing tops Pam farting in Mallory's face. Go Pam! Yes, I know, fart jokes, what can I say.....I'm a child

I was hoping Archer would wake up but, when I got the space ship I was excited f9r Archer in Space! It certainly gave off and Alien/Aliens vibe (also a bit of Mass Effect).

Very excited for next season.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Temperance said:

What if any significance did it have in the real world?

Uh... You do realize Archer is a cartoon, and therefore not part of the real world in any sense?  Right?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I think the original version of the show kinda wrote itself into a corner and I do really enjoy the Dream worlds.  You get to see how Archer reacts if you switch people around a bit and maybe change one little thing.  I really loved the Archer/Pam/Crackers tomfoolery.  I would have watched a show with just the three of them.   

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Everyone loves The Hobbit, that's so great. Now I want a Hobbit adaptation starring this cast.

"I give up."
"How French."

I love how creepy, yet still so wimpy Fuchs was as a coked-out Mecha Hitler. And of course Cheryl of all people wasn't intimated by him.

Those final few minutes were incredible.

Reveal hidden contents

And we in space next season. And that whole set looked amazing.

Also, Seamus!

Spoiler

Seamus! I totally missed Seamus! When did that happen?

I was kind of disappointed in all the talk about The Hobbit and then we never saw the Hobbit Enthusiast from ISIS.

I thought this season needed more episodes for character development. The last episode the interaction between Archer and Princess Lana just came out of nowhere, it seemed, and I would have loved to have seen Cheryl/Charlotte's people from New York come looking for her.

I would have also liked to have seen more connection with Archer's "real" life like if they had worked in the Hobbit Enthusiast or the Gun Librarian or Brett somehow. Background characters worked into the background. Other than the opening scene there didn't seem to be any connection.

I never did warm to Crackers and Ray was woefully underutilized.

I still think Archer season 7 is my least favorite season but this one seemed unbalanced.

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Uh... You do realize Archer is a cartoon, and therefore not part of the real world in any sense?  Right?

Yes, I meant with the world set up before this season when it was a spy show. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 3

So no monkey vengeance OR Crackers hat? Hmmph.

I liked this one okay, but it felt sketchy and underdone, like trying to stretch out five servings of show for seven people. As much as loved Crackers, and the Pam/Archer friendship, Lana and Ray were so underused as to make me wonder if the contract negotiations got a little pointed, and Mallory didn't have much to do besides drink and coerce young women into prostitution. They seemed to have a lot of plans and just dumped all those for more of the Archer/Pam/Crackers trio.

I think I'll like everything post-seven once ten is complete and all three "coma" seasons can be watched in a row. It's a big story being told in small pieces and it gets kind of irritating.

• Love 2

I never noticed it before, but Pam stands head and shoulders above the rest of the group.  I don't know if the bush-bikini somehow made her stature more obvious, but she is quite the giant!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Snookums said:

I liked this one okay, but it felt sketchy and underdone, like trying to stretch out five servings of show for seven people. As much as loved Crackers, and the Pam/Archer friendship, Lana and Ray were so underused as to make me wonder if the contract negotiations got a little pointed, and Mallory didn't have much to do besides drink and coerce young women into prostitution. They seemed to have a lot of plans and just dumped all those for more of the Archer/Pam/Crackers trio.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of these eight episode seasons. This one just...ended, on a massive open-end. "Well, we ran out of time to finish the story, now we're going right into the next season!" It all seemed to build up, with almost no payoff. Even Charlotte brought up that she totally forgot about her storyline from the beginning of the season.

I really hope Lana gets something to do next season.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, TresGatos said:

Seamus! I totally missed Seamus! When did that happen?

The Spaceship they were on is named M/V Seamus. I took it out of spoiler tags since it happened in the episode.

7 hours ago, Snookums said:

Lana and Ray were so underused as to make me wonder if the contract negotiations got a little pointed

I don't know about Aisha Tyler, but Ray is voiced by Adam Reed and he said last season he was going take a step back from voice acting and focus on writing and show running. That's way Ray really wasn't involved too much in Dreamland either.

So Archer did the American Version of "Life on Mars". Never would have guessed that, but okay. Overall I was disappointed with this season. Everyone save Archer and Pam were underused, and agree with the post above me that this season just ended. I think if season 10 is the final one and only 8 episodes,  it really needs to be a much tighter arc than this season. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Oh for the love of...! If they are going with the american-remake-of-life-on-Mars-ending for archer I'm going to be maaaaaad.

And even if they don't, if they do another season of this dream crap, I'm going to be mad, too. They better wrap the space stuff up in 1-2 episodes.

At least Danger Island wasn't as bad as Dreamland.

On 14.6.2018 at 5:21 AM, Lantern7 said:

So what . . . "Danger Island," "Dreamland" and "regular" continuity were just simulations of life on a spaceship? Probably not,

That would be the american-remake-of-life-on-Mars-ending.

Edited by Miles
  • Love 3
(edited)

I’ve always thought that Archer was more physically attracted to Lana but they didn’t particularly like each other.   While Archer didn’t find Pam physically attractive they were genuine friends and maybe even real soul mates.   So I really liked this season because it dug into Archer and Pam’s friendship and what made them perfect for each other even though Archer is essentially a cad and Pam is graceless.

People are really looking for continuity in this?  This is essentially whatever it is it is.  We may never see spy archer again or we may.  Either way it is a fun show.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

Archer and Pam did hook up a bunch of times too though. 

I've loved Pam since "you could drown a toddler in my panties". That's right up there with "as god as my witness I swear I thought turkeys could fly" in terms of TV lore. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 6

I didn’t mind Archer Vice, or Archer, P.I. but they were still spies then. This latest season just gave us a heaping helping of Archer’s abuse, with every other cast member just shoehorned into whatever role. 

One good benefit about ARCHER IN SPACE: we could have an accident resulting in Archer's perfect woman: a melding of Lana and Pam. Pamna Kanevey? And they're physical opposites, so that would be even freakier. Oh, and I still say Sterling and Malory end up in a bed before the final episode.

7 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

People are really looking for continuity in this?  This is essentially whatever it is it is.  We may never see spy archer again or we may.  Either way it is a fun show.

Meh. If next season isn't the end, I'd want Adam Reed to establish that what we saw in the first seven season were "real," and everything else was Archer's coma dream. I was just spitballing about "ARCHER IN SPACE is real; everything we knew was a lie."

On 6/14/2018 at 7:50 PM, Netfoot said:

I never noticed it before, but Pam stands head and shoulders above the rest of the group.  I don't know if the bush-bikini somehow made her stature more obvious, but she is quite the giant!

I think it's more about Archer's mind making her that way. Or that this dream gave her height and muscles instead of a dick.

Seriously, is it too much to work Frisky Dingo into continuity a la Sealab 2021 and Captain Murphy? Remember, Xander and Killface were seen boarding a spaceship (helmed by Killface's mother) in the first X-Tacles episode. I'm good with callbacks like "Boosh!" "Kakow!" "What the hell, damn guy!" and "MASTER CYLINDER!!" Once again, I didn't get the significance of "Master Coconut" until I read a review. Then I felt stupid.

• Love 1

Malory versus Killface's mother? Sideshow! It's in there. 

2 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

The last couple of seasons, the writers seemed to have realized that Archer and Pam make a far more interesting relationship than Archer and Lana.

I always thought they were endgame. 

I still going on the assumption that this is all coma Archer until shown otherwise. 

• Love 4

It was definitely a fun finale and I loved the Hobbit references (they find pop culture in any decade).  While I love the 1970s Alien sci-fi look and Archer in space should be a lot of fun, I want a return to the present day.

• Love 2

Archer wakes up in Spacecand asks why it couldn't be a snowglobe. Great St. Elsewhere reference.

Thought it was a really fun season. I like these coma fantasy stories. I assume Space is one as well.

OK. Comedy Central has Season 3 of Archer on Demand so I was watching the "Heart of Archness" trilogy and there was talk of crackers and parrots and although I still personally did not warm to Kreiger as Crackers I now think it was genius.

• Love 1