Type keyword(s) to search

The Flash in the Media

Lisin
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Carlos' nonresponse does not give me confidence that he is staying. All he had to do is say that he isn't going any where, but it is up to the writers or offer up an ambiguous response. I just really hope that they don't kill Cisco. I still think they could have him go to Earth 19 to be with Gypsy.

Edited by SimoneS
(edited)

I really don't understand why fans would ask these type of questions at conventions. Yes, I know they are worried and want answers. However, they should know when it comes to these types of rumors, the actor will not give you a straight answer. Carlos was never going to answer with a straight yes or no.

52 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

Carlos' nonresponse does not give me confidence that he is staying. All he had to do is say that he isn't going any where, but it is up to the writers or offer up an ambiguous response. I just really hope that they don't kill Cisco. I still think they could have him go to Earth 19 to be with Gypsy.

I hate they broke up, but him going there would make the breakup pointless. The reason they broke up is because Cynthia basically didn't want that. Neither of them wanted to leave their respective Earth's for a long term relationship. Plus, Cynthia gave the impression she wasn't THAT serious about the relationship. It seems she always knew they would be temporary.

Edited by BeautifulFlower
  • Love 2

I don't know if all of this is true, but it might not be a terrible idea to reboot the show in a sense by getting rid of several people and probably bringing in some new characters. 

The show is SO stale and SO bankrupt of ideas for what to do with these people, that I can see it as a chance to come up with new stuff if they get rid of the whole Star Labs team (Caitlin, Cisco, Wells) and Star Labs itself. Set the show in CCPD, keep the West family (obviously) and go from there.

It would feel fresh just by doing that.

• Love 3

I mean, the big crossover would be a great time for any cast that want to leave to go - with their characters meeting a heroic death or “retiring”). Or if there are any characters that TPTB want to get rid of, that’s the chance too and do a soft reboot of sorts. I’d be all for that on The Flash where I think it needs a little kick in the butt. The Wells character in multiple forms is beyond played out and it would be nice to see Barry get back into police work more and see him use his brain again. 

• Love 1

I can't see Tom leaving. However, I do think that that show needs a break from the different versions of Wells. I would prefer that he be the Reverse Flash and/or Harry next season.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, shantown said:

I mean, the big crossover would be a great time for any cast that want to leave to go - with their characters meeting a heroic death or “retiring”). Or if there are any characters that TPTB want to get rid of, that’s the chance too and do a soft reboot of sorts.

Well, yeah; the possibility is there. There are *lots* of *possibilities*. The problem is this particular site making it seem like they've got extra/insider information, when they're just making guesses like anyone and everyone else can, and posting it as if it's news.

I believe no one will leave unless they want to. Unlike the other shows, who decide to write people off, The Flash seems to want to keep people. The only way these characters would go if the actors come to them to be let go.

The guy who plays Eddie remains to be the only who was written off. I don't believe he wanted to leave.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ruby24 said:

I don't know if all of this is true, but it might not be a terrible idea to reboot the show in a sense by getting rid of several people and probably bringing in some new characters. 

The show is SO stale and SO bankrupt of ideas for what to do with these people, that I can see it as a chance to come up with new stuff if they get rid of the whole Star Labs team (Caitlin, Cisco, Wells) and Star Labs itself. Set the show in CCPD, keep the West family (obviously) and go from there.

It would feel fresh just by doing that.

The show is stale because of bad writing. Nora is a new character and all it seems they are doing is repeating the same old storyline they did for Barry and to an extend Raph. Even if they get ride of Starlab, it's not going to make much difference story wise in the long-term because the writers just seems tired of writing for Flash or don't really have a passion or a plan. They are just writing to get to point Z without any real thought on how to make getting to Z interesting. They seems to have no investment in the journey that will get them to point Z. 

So to me, the characters are not the problem because for the most part we don't know much about these characters and their relationships to each other seems really superficial. The writers could do so much with these characters but they refuse to take any type of risk with them or fully flesh out these characters. 

I would be more excited to hear we were getting new headwriter/writing room, than I am to hear we are losing characters, despite the fact that I think Wells and Caitline should be gone by now.

• Love 5

Did the marketing budget got cut this year? In previous seasons an episode with Grodd and King Shark would get a poster.

Besides the annual one to promote the new season, and the crossover ones, there haven't been any other posters for Season 5. Not even for Cicada; and they always do one for the season's villain. (Ok, just remembered the West-Allen Family one from the summer; but that's still only 2 when they usually do more.)

(edited)
On 3/3/2019 at 5:14 PM, SevenStars said:

I would be more excited to hear we were getting new headwriter/writing room, than I am to hear we are losing characters, despite the fact that I think Wells and Caitline should be gone by now.

I am torn. Sometimes I want a new showrunner, other times I think "better the devil you know." IMO, the show doesn't need an overhaul, just tweaking, but it will take a fresh eye to accomplish this. The storytelling definitely needs improvement. I still don't understand how they could cast a talented actor like Damain Poitier to play a great villain like Goldface and only use him for one episode. A three episode arc would have been a much better story. Also, who on earth cast Chris Klein as Cicada? To be fair, that might be above Helbing's pay grad.

5 hours ago, Trini said:

Did the marketing budget got cut this year? In previous seasons an episode with Grodd and King Shark would get a poster.

Those crossovers cost a lot of money; an episode and the overall budget.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1
On 3/3/2019 at 6:14 PM, SevenStars said:

The show is stale because of bad writing.

Yeah, this is where I am at.  These writers do not have good ideas.  And the ones they do have they do not implement them effectively.

The show has demonstrated that from season 2 onward, the writers can not sustain a season long big bad arc.  Also have any of the characters had a meaningful growth arc? Iris is probably the character that has shown the most growth but then that was not hard because she was the most undeveloped to start out with, they had nowhere to go but up there.

Also they don't know how to write humor well.  They try but it is like they forget and the show gets muddied in angst again really quickly.

There are individual good episodes that make you realize they can write good comic book drama.  I still love the "Enter Flashtime' stand alone episode from last season.  it was so well executed on every level.  This makes me realize if they are wedded to the season long arc model rather than an episodic model maybe they should give up on creating a big bad cuz nobody has ever been as good as Thawne/Wells.  And go with a major destructive event that is not precipitated by an eeevil bad guy but something that requires all of their talents to stop along the lines of what they did in Enter Flashtime.  It could even be something they caused.

• Love 3
(edited)
16 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I still love the "Enter Flashtime' stand alone episode from last season.  it was so well executed on every level.  

I loved "Enter Flashtime" also. It is in my top 10 Flash episodes. It was one of two standout episodes (Run, Iris Run being the other) in a dismal season four, IMO. It had all the elements to make an episode work; action, tension, drama, angst, and love.

16 hours ago, DearEvette said:

This makes me realize if they are wedded to the season long arc model rather than an episodic model maybe they should give up on creating a big bad cuz nobody has ever been as good as Thawne/Wells.  And go with a major destructive event that is not precipitated by an eeevil bad guy but something that requires all of their talents to stop along the lines of what they did in Enter Flashtime.  It could even be something they caused.

I like the idea of Team Flash working to stop a destructive event. Maybe two earths on a collision course? I have been saying that the show needs three episode arcs of villains to give us a break from the big bad, but they really just need to reduce the number of confrontations with the season long big bad so Team Flash doesn't look so stupid.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I loved "Enter Flashtime" also. It is in my top 10 Flash episodes. It was one of two standout episodes (Run, Iris Run being the other) in a dismal season four, IMO. It had all the elements to make an episode work; action, tension, drama, angst, and love.

In addition to this, I don't think it's a coincidence that the best episodes in The Flash (these two, The Runaway Dinosaurs, Cause and Effect) are also the episodes that feature Iris prominently. And I think I know why.... Like it or not, she is the leading lady, the second most important character in the show --- and it takes more effort to exclude/sideline/diminish the importance of Iris than it takes to include her.

So you've not just benched a team member but that team-member's function. You might still win the game but you're working with a handicap. Then there’s also the fact that you’ve spent so much creative effort in writing her out —— that there isn’t much of that creativity left to make the episode actually good

• Love 4

Another thing those episodes have in common is that they're standalone, for the most part. I really think this show would benefit from trying to do more solid, good standalones, because their ability to drag out a villain SUCKS. Sorry, but it does. You did good in Season 1 with it, and you've failed ever since. So maybe just stop doing that. Do more good individual episodes, like the those, the musical, the E2 two-parter (why have they never gone to any other earths and done something like that again? there are SO many possibilities there).

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, RedVitC said:

Poster for the episode from the official twitter account. I'm not sure why they waited so long to post this.

The marketing dept. heard me! LOL

• LOL 1

Shout out from one of the guest stars of tonight's episode:

And this is from a few months ago, but if anyone else is interested in behind-the-scenes stuff, here's a pic from one of the stunt doubles:

(edited)

And the Flashtime promo:

ARGUS should just really stop returning STAR Labs' phone calls! Looks like there's a tiny bit of Cecile, but no Ralph, and Cisco punches Barry?

Edited by Trini

About the visual effects in "Grodd vs. King Shark":

https://cgsociety.org/news/article/4397/king-shark-vs-gorilla-grodd

“After we had done both characters for ‘The Flash’ season one, it seemed like a natural progression to have them fight each other in an episode and each season I hoped it would happen. I finally got the call from the producers in November letting me know we were going to do this so I immediately started pouring four years of ideas into storyboards and previs for the fights,” Kevorkian shared.

1 hour ago, Trini said:

A few International Women's Day tweets featuring Candice Patton:

D1KHA0cVAAA0M3v.jpg

Love it. I love how they put emphasis on "Her Own Hero" and its with a pic of Iris preparing to defend herself and others. She's a hero in her own right and love them showcasing this. Clearly that person in the replies missed what they were going for, but whatev.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Trini said:

A few International Women's Day tweets featuring Candice Patton:
D1KHA0cVAAA0M3v.jpg

Nice to see Candice getting some appreciation. Guess WB is making an effort after all the sexual harassment and bullying scandals.

Why do some people feel the need to post their ugliness on social media? They should just fuck off if they have nothing good to say. Maybe this is why the WB decided to ignore Caitlin.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

Maybe this is why the WB decided to ignore Caitlin

Didn't @CW_TheFlash put Caitlin as a villain in their list of best villains so far? Yes, I know it's KF, but come on, it's also Caitlin. Perhaps that's why they didn't choose to add her since KF tried to murder Cecile, tried to murder Tracy Brand, and then helped to murder Iris (in the timeline in which Iris actually died). Murdering  or attempting to murder women isn't terribly supportive of other women😁

ETA: Ironically, the only women Caitlin bonded with was the criminal, Amunet Black, and her own evil alter ego, Killer Frost.

Edited by adora721
  • Love 1

I posted a photo from SXSW on the other thread. I hope we get more info about what was said on the panel. 

I thought about posting Grant's comments about Arrow ending, but figured the post would just get deleted so I didn't bother.

Dang, beat me to it!

Wallace is stepping up! Yay!

ETA: I was rooting for Helbing, but it's been evident that he was faltering as solo showrunner. I hope Wallace can tighten things up going forward.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 3

About time.

When Andrew was here, he still had majority of control as he was co-creator. I came into season 5 trying to give Todd the benefit of the doubt as this was the first season he had control. I still doubt Berlanti is that much involved. Season 5 after the first 5 episodes has been disappointing. It was time for a new change. Hopefully, Eric does some good changes to the show.

I know the article said Todd is focusing on development, but he still needed to step down.

Eric already has a plus in my books. I believe he was one of the two whom said he liked writing for Iris.

• Love 4

Eric has written

The Flash Reborn (4x01)

Therefore I Am (4x07)

Run, Iris, Run (4x16)

We Are the Flash (4x23)

Blocked (5x02)

Elseworlds Part I (5x09)

King Shark vs Gorilla Grodd (5x15)

Except for 5x15, Eric seems to be good. 4x01, 4x16, and 5x09 had some good material for Iris. Again, that's a plus. We need a showrunner who can do good by her. Here's hoping Candice finally gets her wish and has an ACTUAL journalism plot.

• Love 3

Wow, I think Eric becoming showrunner is a definitely change for the better. This season has been a mess as a whole. Hopefully, he brings a relatively fresh approach.

ETA: I just noticed that Eric wrote for Z Nation and Eureka, both shows with strong Black women leads. I hope this bodes well for Iris.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, BeautifulFlower said:

Here's hoping Candice finally gets her wish and has an ACTUAL journalism plot.

And a proper stylist. (Yes, this is personal for me.)

• Love 4