Type keyword(s) to search

The Flash in the Media

Lisin
  • Start Topic

28 minutes ago, Trini said:

And a proper stylist. (Yes, this is personal for me.)

Are you referring to Iris' wardrobe? Because I have not liked how she has been dressed this season.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, SimoneS said:
36 minutes ago, Trini said:

Are you referring to Iris' wardrobe? Because I have not liked how she has been dressed this season.

I was talking about hair styling. There have been a few duds, but I think her clothes have been fine this season.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Eureka

Loved "Eureka": glad to hear he wrote for it since it also had a great IR couple. Let's hope he tightens the writing and limits the plot and logic holes, too.

• Love 2

I was also close to quitting, had pretty much decided I'd be done after this season. Now? Eh....I suppose it's worth a shot to see if anything changes for the better. Then again I also thought without Kreisberg things would improve, but it looks like Helbing himself had lost interest a while ago.

The thing with Wallace is that unlike Helbing he's only been there since Season 4, so it's possible that he could change things up more drastically. I just don't want to be fooling myself. 

I may still wait and see if there's any cast changes to go along with this (they probably wouldn't announce that until the end of the season).

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Trini said:

There is a great thread happening on twitter all day today about this very thing. Not just about Candice, but so many  black actresses and models are speaking up about the lack of stylists on set who know how to work with black and textured hair and don;t know how to properly make up darker skin.  So many have chimed in.  Gabrielle Union's tweets are informative, basically you have to be in the union and it is HARD (and very insular) to get the foot in.  So many have told stories about doing their own hair and bringing their own make up, flat irons, product and clip ins etc. to set.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Trini said:

It's interesting that they made the announcement now, before production of this season is even finished.

Actually, nevermind. CW PR has been all over the place this season.

I watched Flashtime. It looks like Dr. Ambres is operating on someone. Best guess, she is removing the shard in Orlin's chest which leaves the shard which cannot be removed from Grace's brain.

This is from a Screenrant article about Arrow, but it mentions a bit about Flash (and other arrowverse shows) data as well :

According to information provided exclusively to Screen Rant by Parrot Analytics, a data analytics firm who believe they offer the most accurate measure of demand for TV shows, the Arrowverse remains hugely successful. All four series are still among the top 0.03% of TV series in terms of demand in the United States. In order, they are:

The Flash - the most popular of the Arrowverse series, The Flash is in the top 0.01% of TV shows in the US. Until The Umbrella Academy, it's consistently been the most in-demand superhero show of all.

Edited by RedVitC
add more context
  • Love 2

Interviews with Sarah Carter (adult Grace/Cicada):

TV Line:

TVLINE | Is her agenda identical to her uncle’s, or is there an additional layer to it? He wanted to kill all metas.

That’s a shared motive, but what makes him different when he wakes up is he’s had all the dark matter removed, so that makes him more vulnerable. He’s kind and gentle, and he loves me and he’s happy to see me. What he wants more than anything is to see me alive and well. And what I want more than anything is to get dark matter back inside of him so that we can join forces to continue with the mission.

and DC:

Do you see any differences in Grace's Cicada from Orlin's? She seems stronger. Is she crueler?

He created a monster. He taught me everything I know, but then I took it beyond that. When it comes to our power sets, because of where the Dark Matter affected me, I have more control over it because it's in my head, you know. So, I can tell you that much!

(A few more details about Adult Grace and her mindset in this interview.)

A few more quotes from Sarah Carter at Comicbook.com:

"I feel privileged to be the first woman villain bad ass. It's definitely important to have the most 'power' on the show, to be the one that is the biggest threat to The Flash, and have the face off be a woman versus man," Carter said. "I think it does say something. I love it, and I love Danielle. We worked together on Shark and I would say that she is one of the stronger female characters that's fully-rounded on the show because she does have the dark side that she taps into and because she was untouchable by Orlin. That makes her a focus for my character, as well. I see her as the biggest threat. That also makes it interesting to have these two powerful women as equals. I think we're gonna see some play on that in the future."

Interesting that she thinks it will come down to Gracada vs. Killer Frost. I'm almost sure that it will be Nora/XS instead to parallel daughter vs. daughter. (Spec, not spoilers.) Obviously KF is a threat because she's not a 'dark matter meta' but still.

Another interview with Sarah Carter at Collider:

If you’re going to be on a superhero show, you obviously want a suit, and this character has a cool costume. What was it like, the first time you got to see yourself in the suit, and what’s it like to actually work in it?

CARTER:  Not only did I not see myself, I couldn’t see anybody else. The hood was hard to deal with. They have four people around you, before they call, “Action!,” and when they cut, to first put the hood on and secure it properly to a headpiece that you wear underneath, and then they have to un-clip it. You can’t do anything yourself because you’ve got these huge gloves on. But luckily, Chris Klein was there on my first day, and he is such a sweet guy. We had a father-daughter dynamic, immediately. He made sure that I knew how to put the mask on and take it off, and that I asked for help when I needed it because you really do need to take it off between takes, or you start sweating and it’s actually hard to breathe. I love fighting. I was a dancer, so I wanted to be able to use my body and move my body easily. We ended up finding a way to really reveal who she is, underneath all of that, because she’s masquerading as him. She’s dressed like him because she wants people to think that it is him. At a certain point in this character’s arc, she does take it all off.

On 3/19/2019 at 5:13 PM, Trini said:

A few more quotes from Sarah Carter at Comicbook.com:

Interesting that she thinks it will come down to Gracada vs. Killer Frost. I'm almost sure that it will be Nora/XS instead to parallel daughter vs. daughter. (Spec, not spoilers.) Obviously KF is a threat because she's not a 'dark matter meta' but still.

What in the world is she talking about? Most of what she said sounds like she hasn't watched this show. First female villain bad ass? Um......no

And really? Why do they have these people propping up KF? Nothing of what they've shown makes her the key. All she did was freeze his dagger in place twice. In 5x14, Orlin was smart to figure that he could just direct his dagger to stab her. Grace is from the future and literally has prepared to take on everybody. Killer Frost is a joke.

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, BeautifulFlower said:

First female villain bad ass? Um......no

Interesting that she doesn't count Killer Frost (who is a villain) either, or Marlize, Peekaboo, or Amunet Black. This is just like when DP claimed she was the first female director of the Flash, which is not true. DP and Sarah are friends, so birds of a feather deny together, I guess.

Edited by adora721
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
56 minutes ago, BeautifulFlower said:

And really? Why do they have these people propping up KF? Nothing of what they've shown makes her the key. All she did was freeze his dagger in place twice. In 5x14, Orlin was smart to figure that he could just direct his dagger to stab her. Grace is from the future and literally has prepared to take on everybody. Killer Frost is a joke.

I don't think it's a big deal. She's just talking up what is probably the plot/subplot of her next episode. (Gracada can't neutralize KF's powers like the others, so she's a target; and they probably have a confrontation/fight scene.)

And yeah, she's a guest star; I don't expect her to really know the show's history.

This article at IGN discusses a bit about the pacing and villain problems this season on The Flash (and other DC shows). Just wanted to link that to point out that I've seen similar complaints from many other reviewers about this season, and that Eric Wallace has his work cut out for him next season.

I think things can turn around in Season 6; however, I have a feeling we might not see real change until after the crossover. Because before then they have to write to lead up to and set up Crisis.

10 hours ago, Trini said:

I think things can turn around in Season 6; however, I have a feeling we might not see real change until after the crossover. Because before then they have to write to lead up to and set up Crisis.

I really hope that Eric Wallace can shake the show up and make improvements in season six. I don't really agree with some of the IGN article. The Flash's problem isn't just who the villain is as much as there are too many confrontations with the villain over the season. Tobias has lasted too long on Black Lightning, but it helps that he and Jefferson have only had two or three direct fights over the two seasons. The Flash needs more villains to have three episode arcs to break up the ongoing conflict with the season long big bad. It also has to reduce the number of metas on the team.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I really hope that Eric Wallace can shake the show up and make improvements in season six. I don't really agree with some of the IGN article. The Flash's problem isn't just who the villain is as much as there are too many confrontations with the villain over the season. Tobias has lasted too long on Black Lightning, but it helps that he and Jefferson have only had two or three direct fights over the two seasons. The Flash needs more villains to have three episode arcs to break up the ongoing conflict with the season long big bad. It also has to reduce the number of metas on the team.

The Flash probably needs multiple villains teaming up against him in a coordinated effort to bring him down.  That could last a whole season if they did it right.  They also need to shake up the Team Flash thing.

Or they need to try for a few standalone arcs that don't link up to one big bad.  They need a villain like Tempus on Lois & Clark - he injected so much life into that show after Lex was gone.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, phoenics said:

Or they need to try for a few standalone arcs that don't link up to one big bad.  They need a villain like Tempus on Lois & Clark - he injected so much life into that show after Lex was gone.

Agents of Shield has done something similar the last couple of seasons. The Big Bad of the next arc is introduced in the background of the current arc. The current arc ends with a win and the emergence of the next Big Bad. When done well, it’s interesting to watch because the heroes will have at least one major win before the halfway point of the season, rather than spend most of the season spinning their wheels or finding contrived ways to lose.

• Love 4

They could also go back to doing a few more villain-of-the-week episodes in between big arc stuff. As long as they do it well. It can be really good if they use it to further character development, and/or further an overall arc. (Fringe at its best was really good at this.)

Plus the Flash has so many villains to play with from his comic canon.

• Love 3
On 2/27/2019 at 2:15 AM, Trini said:

Two Kids Choice Awards nominations for The Flash: Favorite TV Drama, and Favorite Male TV Star (Grant Gustin – Barry Allen/The Flash).

This is happening this weekend. I haven't heard anything about Grant attending this, so I'm guessing that neither him or the show is winning anything this year.

----

Also, the audio for the SXSW panel that Candice participated in is available here: https://schedule.sxsw.com/2019/events/PP102710

I haven't listened yet, but I think further discussion could go in the Lightning Rods thread.

45 minutes ago, BeautifulFlower said:

You would think there would be more promotion for DP's ep. I'm talking sending her on interviews, etc.

Danielle mentioned at least one interview on Twitter. I assume they'll come out Monday/Tuesday.

But besides the fact that it's Panabaker's directing debut, the show is coming back from a three-week hiatus after a major cliffhanger, going into the last stretch of episodes. So this would be the time to release an extended, multi-episode trailer, but. . . .

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Trini said:

Danielle mentioned at least one interview on Twitter. I assume they'll come out Monday/Tuesday.

But besides the fact that it's Panabaker's directing debut, the show is coming back from a three-week hiatus after a major cliffhanger, going into the last stretch of episodes. So this would be the time to release an extended, multi-episode trailer, but. . . .

Is it safe to say the CW probably doesn't care anymore?

And one interview? Geez. I'm not trying to be that person who compares Candice and Danielle. Last season, for 4x16, they did more promotion for that episode than this one. It was just an episode about Iris for the first time. Yet, Candice did interviews.

• Love 1
On 3/12/2019 at 4:35 PM, Trini said:

It's interesting that they made the announcement now, before production of this season is even finished.

Honestly I was close to quitting this show - I think they had to announce it to bring fans back.  The show literally just dropped westallen and started doing OTF like its life depended on it.  They had to do something to get fans' attention.

On 4/14/2019 at 3:22 PM, Trini said:

More from Danielle Panabaker about directing 5.18 (minor spoilers) :

She stays not mentioning CP.  Every chance she gets she leaves her out.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, phoenics said:

She stays not mentioning CP.  Every chance she gets she leaves her out.

This is like, hilariously accurate. She mentions every SINGLE person in the cast besides her. She includes photos of every person besides her.

She's not even hiding it. I have to believe these two literally act like the other person does not exist on set, how do the rest of them not notice this?

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

This is like, hilariously accurate. She mentions every SINGLE person in the cast besides her. She includes photos of every person besides her.

She's not even hiding it. I have to believe these two literally act like the other person does not exist on set, how do the rest of them not notice this?

I'm sure they notice.  And it's clear that DP did some mess in the direction for the episode she got -

there is a scene from the BTS clip of Barry SCREAMING at Iris.  You know Barry "I heart Iris West" Allen would NEVER do that.

No wonder Todd got the boot.  And they need some black women writers and directors immediately.  Like RIGHT NOW.

• Love 4

Interview with Danielle Panabaker about the next two episodes, "Godspeed" and "Snow Pack" at TVLine:

TVLINE | What was the biggest or the most interesting challenge that this particular script presented to you as the director?

This particular script largely takes place in the year 2049 — it’s Nora’s origin story, so we’re flashing forward to the future — and I think that was the biggest challenge, creating a world 30 years in the future on a TV episodic budget. It allowed everyone to be really creative and really push themselves, but it was certainly a challenge.

TVLINE | When we left off, things had gotten super intense after Nora’s secret came out. Are there a lot of WestAllen family emotions going on?

Absolutely. I mean, that storyline is actually going to continue even past this episode a little bit, into 519, but yes, the betrayal that Barry feels is devastating to him. And as parents, they have to deal with this struggle that we have seen in a couple different ways this season, but not at this level of “how to parent” and what should they do.

TVLINE | I don’t recall seeing Grant like that in a scene, and maybe you haven’t either. Barry’s reaction was so explosive, it was kind of startling.

I mean, Reverse-Flash is his greatest villain. He killed his mother in front of him, so to find out that your daughter has aligned herself with him.… I don’t know how you get over that.

TV Guide interview with Danielle P., with some more behind-the-scenes info:

The first question when you're directing an episode is, how much will we get to see your character given how much time you had to spend behind the camera?

Danielle Panabaker: Not as much. Caitlin is a little bit lighter in [Episode 18] because, in this episode, it opens sort of with a direct cut as Team Flash is reeling from learning the news that Nora was working with Eobard Thawne. And so as they try to unpack and unravel why Nora would have made this decision, they decide to read her journal and that is our portal into going back to the year 2049 — well, flash-forward to the year 2049 — and understanding Nora and how she came to be this way and how she came to be working with Thawne.

From what's been teased, it seems like there's just so much emotion packed into every second of every scene.

Panabaker: Yes, and there are some lighter moments as well. We were fortunate enough to get Katherine Gallagher to play Nora's best friend in the future, and she's a dream. There's a lot of great stuff I hope fans enjoy.

What was the biggest hurdle you faced having to direct yourself?

Panabaker: Um, I did not enjoy it, which is something you don't know until you try it. It's these big cortex scenes with everybody in them, so it was certainly a challenge to try and set everything up because we're working with three cameras and to not be able to sit behind the monitors and sit and watch to make sure we were getting things. So I was trying to pay attention while I'm in the scene and also trying not to forget my lines. It was certainly a challenge, but I made it through.