Type keyword(s) to search

The Flash in the Media

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Comments from the CW president about the DC shows:

With all five DC Comics-inspired dramas already renewed for next season and its Ruby Rose-led Batwoman pilot fully expected to go to series, Pedowitz still believes there's room for more. "We haven't hit that saturation point," he said, noting that the network has yet to decide if all six dramas would be on the air concurrently. With Arrow renewed for its eighth season, Pedowitz is aware that some of the Greg Berlanti-produced DC shows are starting to show signs of age. "Things will age and we want to get the next generation of shows to keep The CW DC universe going for as long as possible," he said. Decisions about final seasons of any of The CW's fare — including Arrow — will likely come around May's upfront presentations to ad buyers. Looking ahead, Pedowitz previewed that the next DC crossover will be the "biggest and most complicated" one the shows have done thus far. Speaking with reporters after his time onstage, the exec said it's highly likely that the "Crisis on Infinite Earths" crossover would feature a character death — which may be a remix of its comic book source material.

The CW has seen the Netflix bump first-hand with series including Riverdale, Jane and The Flash all experiencing season-over-season growth after previous seasons hit the streamer.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/cw-boss-next-generation-dc-shows-future-all-american-1181775

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ruby24 said:

Unless you're talking about Tom Cavanagh, that's not this cast at all though. None of them have kids, and when the show started they were all unmarried and in their twenties (they're still in their twenties, or only just hitting 30).

They just didn't bond the way young casts usually do on these shows, which is kind of interesting. I feel like that must have been part of the reason Grant Gustin raced off to get married so young (and fast) to someone he just met, because the bond between the cast just wasn't as tight up there and made him lonely or something.

I know that some of these casts claim to become "good friends," but a few photos on social media or attending publicity/money-making events to keep the fans happy is not evidence of bonding, IMO. Maybe The Flash cast not faking it contributes to its success as the highest rated show in the Arrowverse.  

27 minutes ago, Trini said:

Considering how cheap these shows are for the CW, they will be living off them for decades. I can't imagine any of the leads dying permanently during the crossover so if a character does die it will likely be a supporting character DC doesn't mind dumping. 

• Love 3

I had no idea Shantel VanSanten ("Patty Spivot") was dating or married to Victor Webster; he mentioned an anniversary on Instagram.

I watched a Hallmark TV movie with them called "Love Blossoms"; their onscreen chemistry was OK.

Edited by adora721

Nicholas Gonzalez talks a little bit about his role on The Flash:

Getting to play Cisco’s brother Dante was a dream role for Gonzalez, who grew up collecting comic books. “My brother used to collect The Flash and I was into Spider-Man, but I’ve always been into comics, and I just think they did such a good job [adapting] this one,” he says. “The Ramon Brothers — or the Ramons, as we called them — was a fun dynamic and people liked watching them.” His character died off screen, but as far as Gonzalez is concerned, he could still be alive… on another Earth. “I’d love to go back to that. I had a really good time filming and just love the connection that Carlos Valdes and I have.”

Ugh -- they never should have killed off Cisco's ONE relative. But Gonzalez has a good role on The Good Doctor, now.

• Love 1
On 2/15/2019 at 4:07 PM, adora721 said:

Cisco's parents are still alive, no?

Yes, he still technically has parents; but they never really had a significant presence. The only relative of his that appeared in more than one scene was Dante. I was just being sarcastic.

Edited by Trini
17 minutes ago, Trini said:

Yes, he still technically has parents; but they never really had a significant presence. The only relative of his that they appeared more than one scene was Dante. I was just being sarcastic.

Ok; I was just thinking that we've seen parents be a part of a plot before besides Henry and Nora; currently, Thomas and Carla Snow (Cait's parents) are parts of her SL. I just wish Cisco's life was more fleshed out in a similar way.

• Love 2

Another instance of the show influencing the comics: Iris West is depicted as a Black woman in the Walmart special Flash comic.

This website has a scan of one of the pages: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/02/16/new-dc-walmart-comics-batman-dinosaurs-iris-west-candice-patton/

This comic is not the same continuity as a the other current Flash series, so it's only in this particular run; but it is still really awesome that DC was open to this.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Trini said:

Another instance of the show influencing the comics: Iris West is depicted as a Black woman in the Walmart special Flash comic.

This website has a scan of one of the pages: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/02/16/new-dc-walmart-comics-batman-dinosaurs-iris-west-candice-patton/

This comic is not the same continuity as a the other current Flash series, so it's only in this particular run; but still really awesome that DC was open to this.

Nice. About time. Someone needs to tweet this to Candice. She should be proud that DC considers her portrayal of Iris to be a success despite the attacks and doubts that she has had to endure. I have to think when The Flash movie is eventually released that we will be seeing Iris being portrayed as African American in more Flash comics. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Nice. About time. Someone needs to tweet this to Candice. She should be proud that DC considers her portrayal of Iris to be a success despite the attacks and doubts that she has had to endure. I have to think when The Flash movie is eventually released that we will be seeing Iris being portrayed as African American in more Flash comics. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, BeautifulFlower said:

Totally cool. I am thrilled for Candice and all the Black girls seeing themselves for the first time in The Flash comics. It should be noted that this Flash story is written by Gail Simone, one of the stronger DC writers and the art is by Clayton Henry, one of the most talented comicbook artists and is African American. DC choosing Simone and Henry to do this groundbreaking comic is a huge compliment. 

I looked for the comic at Walmart, no luck. These DC Giant comics are exclusive to Walmart, but not all of them carry them.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3
On 2/15/2019 at 5:29 PM, Trini said:

TVGuide has been asking various actors about TV influences for Black History Month; Candice Patton's quote:

Both Trina McGee (Angela) and Rider Strong (Shawn) tweeted supportive comments to Candice. Totally cool.

Edited by SimoneS
Replied to wrong post
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Both Trina McGee (Angela) and Rider Strong (Shawn) tweeted supportive comments to Candice. Totally cool.

Emerald CIty Comic Con in Seattle has most of the main "Boy Meets World" cast attending in March, but Trina isn't included. I sent a tweet asking them to invite her. 

LWG discuss the "Mary Sue" issue regarding Iris: Mary Sue Discussion - 19:37

13 minutes ago, adora721 said:

Emerald CIty Comic Con in Seattle has most of the main "Boy Meets World" cast attending in March, but Trina isn't included. I sent a tweet asking them to invite her. 

Wow, talk about the lack of diversity in that line up. It is like they invited one person of color and decided that was sufficient. You should tweet Rider Strong about it. He is seems like an aware guy based on his tweet in response to Candice's TV Guide statement.

• Love 1

The Quote is from last year but the article is new:

The 26 Most Inspirational Quotes From POPSUGAR Play/Ground 2018

Actress Candice Patton on the Benefits of Failing

"In my 20s, I wanted everything so bad. I wanted success and love and the whole package right away, but there's something very powerful about adversity and failing. I think one of the greatest things that's ever happened to me is not having things when I wanted them. It taught me perseverance and strength, and by the time I did have my career and my success, I was extremely grateful for it." — Candice Patton

• Love 1

These two were posted in January and February but I think the interviews might be from Comic con ? Not sure

In Its Fifth Season, Candice Patton Thinks ‘The Flash’ Found Its Balance

With Her ‘Killer’ Role, Danielle Panabaker Is Happy To Grow

Candice Patton Earning An Advanced Acting Degree At ‘Flash’ University

I think it was during last summer that Candice/Iris/Wa fans raised 10.000 for charity (Girls inc.) in Candice's name. Someone from Girls inc. wrote a thank you email to/about that campaign. I thought it was a nice letter. 

Edited by RedVitC
  • Love 1

So, more grist for the rumor mill about another cast member, in addition to Carlos, possibly leaving. Not sure how reliable this website is, but here's the quote:

"This time, our source tells us that Danielle Panabaker might be vacating the series, thereby saying goodbye to her dual role as Dr. Caitlin Snow and her icy alter ego Killer Frost. Though they can’t say for sure when this would be happening other than that it’d be “soon,” the reason for her potential exit is that the actress is hoping to move on to other projects. She’s already appeared in the odd movie or guest spot on a TV show over the past few years, but obviously The Flash is a big commitment that takes up a lot of time.

It should be noted that Panabaker’s exit is much less certain than Valdes’ at this stage, as our source informs us that it’s not a done deal yet and could even be a bargaining tactic for a pay rise. Then again, it’s also possible that Panabaker was inspired to move on after Valdes first made the decision. Hopefully the actor hasn’t started a domino effect of multiple Flash stars bowing out of the show."

On another note about Carlos being missing from too many episodes just for the short film he made with Melissa Benoist, there's a different article  ,dated 2/11/19, that states that Carlos is filming "Knives Out", a Rian Johnson  (director of "SW: The Last Jedi") movie.

"Valdes is also branching out into film and is currently shooting the mystery ‘Knives Out’ which stars Toni Collette, Daniel Craig, Jamie Lee Curtis, Chris Evans, and Don Johnson." If true, that's a great cast to be among for Carlos.

Edited by adora721
  • Love 1

I don't like either of Candice's dresses, but she looks lovely as usual.

I hope that the rumors about Carlos leaving are wrong, but I can see how living in Vancouver could limit both his professional and personal life.

As for DP, I'll go with its a negotiating tactic and she isn't going any where.

On 2/23/2019 at 6:48 PM, SimoneS said:

As for DP, I'll go with its a negotiating tactic and she isn't going any where.

I can see how that's possible.

However, I can also imagine DP leaving if Carlos leaves because Carlos is her best acting partner and Cisco is Caitlin's anchor and number one supporter. Who else is she that close to? Even Barry said that Cisco cares about Caitlin more than anyone else.  I've believed DP was leaving since her odd behavior at last year's SDCC, but then again, Carlos also behaved oddly. Only time will tell.

Edited by adora721

Candice Patton's video included in TV Guide.com's article on actors' reflections on Black TV stars for Black History Month: 'Stars Pay Tribute to Their Favorite Black Icons'

-----

On 2/23/2019 at 9:02 PM, adora721 said:

So, more grist for the rumor mill about another cast member, in addition to Carlos, possibly leaving. Not sure how reliable this website it, but here's the quote:

They are not.

Edited by Trini
3 hours ago, BeautifulFlower said:

Better yet. Why they put him instead of his father?

I wondered the same. Maybe they would have to pay to use Mark Hamill's image. I would be surprised if that he has that type of clause in his contracts.

Edited by SimoneS

Two Kids Choice Awards nominations for The Flash: Favorite TV Drama, and Favorite Male TV Star (Grant Gustin – Barry Allen/The Flash).

The Kids Choice Awards will be handed out March 23 at USC’s Galen Center, with DJ Khaled hosting. Voting began Tuesday at www.KCA2019.com, via the Screens Up smartphone app and on Twitter and Instagram.

On 2/27/2019 at 2:15 AM, Trini said:

Two Kids Choice Awards nominations for The Flash: Favorite TV Drama, and Favorite Male TV Star (Grant Gustin – Barry Allen/The Flash).

Grant seems to like going to these award shows, and he went to the last KCAs; I wonder if he'll attend this year?

On 2/26/2019 at 11:06 AM, BeautifulFlower said:

LOL at them including Killer Frost in this. But hey, at least they know she's not exactly a hero. Killer Frost is a joke and Leonard should've been in her place

People really have strong opinions on the villains, apparently; this tweet has gotten the most responses that they've had in quite a while!

20 minutes ago, Trini said:

Grant seems to like going to these award shows, and he went to the last KCAs; I wonder if he'll attend this year?

People really have strong opinions on the villains, apparently; this tweet has gotten the most responses that they've had in quite a while!

Honestly, after RF, none of the villains have been that good.

Zoom was scary until the reveal.

Savitar was a mess

LMAO at Cicada

They have trickster jr instead of his father

I see some people don't consider King Shark a villain worthy of this.

I haven't checked in a while, but i can guess there are some people mad they're including Killer Frost. 

This lineup looks like it would make a fun panel! That fanexpo panel they did a few years ago with Candice (and Zoe!), Grant, Carlos, Danielle and Tom was pretty great!

• Love 1