Type keyword(s) to search

The Flash in the Media

Lisin
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, adora721 said:

Guess who's back? Jesse L. Martin!!

Wonderful news! It is great that Jesse is feeling better and is back filming! I missed the hell out of Joe. Goodness knows that both Iris and Barry need Joe's love and support more than ever.

• Love 3
On 12/22/2018 at 10:14 PM, ruby24 said:

I heard that Candice was the only cast member who didn't go. Quite a statement if true.

Candice said that she did attend Grant's wedding in response to someone being ugly on Twitter. I have seen the rumor that Candice wasn't at his wedding all over the Flash-related social media accounts that I have visited recently. Not that it mattered if she was or wasn't, but it is pretty nasty how some people have attempted to use it to attack Candice.

https://i.imgur.com/AqvEVDe.jpg

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, adora721 said:

Guess who's back? Jesse L. Martin!!

YAAAAY! He's been missed! (Also, how adorable are those West-Hortons? Can we get Wally back, if only for a bit, too? Please? I love this fam.)

6 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Candice said that she did attend Grant's wedding in response to someone being ugly on Twitter. I have seen the rumor that Candice wasn't at his wedding all over the Flash-related social media accounts that I have visited recently. Not that it mattered if she was or wasn't, but it is pretty nasty how some people have attempted to use it to attack Candice.

Oh my god. The audacity of some people. I can't even. 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, SimoneS said:

This person on Twitter has been spreading the lie that GG no longer likes Candice and doesn't want to work with CP; so she's telling the Snowbarry fans to prepare for SB to happen. ETA: Now Juli's account is set to private after her much deserved clap back from CP.

julitwitterhatescp.PNG

Edited by adora721
16 minutes ago, adora721 said:

This person on Twitter has been spreading the lie that GG no longer likes Candice and doesn't want to work with CP; so she's telling the Snowbarry fans to prepare for SB to happen. 

That is the person who sent that nasty tweet to Candice about not being invited to Grant's wedding and Candice told her that she was at the wedding. The Internet and social media is just full of crazies. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2
36 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

That is the person who sent that nasty tweet to Candice about not being invited to Grant's wedding and Candice told her that she was at the wedding. The Internet and social media is just full of crazies. 

There are some, not all, SB shippers who take great pleasure in sending CP their hateful messages; two I've interacted with actually bragged that CP "knows" them because of their hate tweets to her. No shame whatsoever.

But Juli didn't count on CP contradicting her lie about not attending GG's wedding. Therefore, Juli runs away from reality and truth by making her account private. That way, she can continue to live in a world of only her made-up beliefs and the people who won't contradict her.

Edited by adora721
  • Love 3

Some quotes from Candice about the theme of the season at PopSugar:

"It was shocking for both Barry and Iris to see their future daughter as an adult. But I think it's helped their relationship, knowing they have a chance at a very stable future," Patton told POPSUGAR over the phone on Jan. 10. "That was always Barry's worry: as a superhero, can you really have it all? The wife, the house, and children? I think Nora's presence is an indication that his future does hold all those things."

"[Barry]'s got his daughter from the future who's trapped there, and he's fighting for her in a way that he's never fought for himself," Patton continued. "Going into the rest of the season, he's going to be dealing with that even more — Iris as well. They have something outside of themselves to fight for now."

Everyone's on their own journey," Patton explained. "This season is really about family and legacy and everyone's trying to come to terms with that in their own way." Thankfully, Patton also mentioned that a major part of the West family will make his return during the second half of the season. "We'll finally get Jesse Martin back, which is really exciting," she said. "We're really relieved that he'll be back. He adds such stability and grounding to the show and to the West family."

• Love 3
15 hours ago, adora721 said:

This person on Twitter has been spreading the lie that GG no longer likes Candice and doesn't want to work with CP; so she's telling the Snowbarry fans to prepare for SB to happen. ETA: Now Juli's account is set to private after her much deserved clap back from CP.

julitwitterhatescp.PNG

I've seen these and just ignored them. Juli was doing nothing but making her self look sad and pathetic. She's not smart either. Where these tweets suppose to harm Candice or something? They didn't. Plus, her lies does nothing but make Grant come off as an asshole.

• Love 2

Interview with Helbing previewing the second half:

TVLINE | At the end of the winter finale, we learned that Nora is in some sort of cahoots with Eobard Thawne. How would you describe the dynamic between the two of them?

I would say that Thawne is her “coach”. We get into it a lot more in [the winter premiere], we explain what’s going on, and as the season progresses, she goes back to the future quite a bit. You’ll see a lot more of Thawne.

https://tvline.com/2019/01/14/flash-season-5-preview-episode-10-barry-nora-thawne-iris/

Another Helbing interview covering the same topics:

How will the knowledge that Thawne killed Barry's mom change the dynamic between Thawne and Nora?

Helbing: I think that whole experience in [Episode] 508 gave her the full picture — or 90 percent of the picture — of Thawne, and sort of the torment of the way he disrupted Barry's life and just the evil nature of this guy. So yeah, it shifts a lot. We deal with that in Episode 10. I think even Thawne's a little shocked that she didn't know that that was the case. It definitely puts a dent in their relationship in a big way.

Danielle Panabaker is slated to direct an episode this season, can you preview anything about that?

Helbing: We're breaking that story right now. It's going to be a really cool episode and I think it's a story that Danielle will crush. We're all excited. She's about as smart as they get, so I have all the faith in the world that she'll knock it out of the park.

Danielle's episode is 5.18, BTW.

https://www.tvguide.com/news/the-flash-showrunner-todd-helbing-interivew-nora-episode/

Honestly, this is the dumbest explanation for why Nora didn't know that Thawne killed her grandmother.  The meta-cure with Cisco and Caitlin isn't much better. These are the kind of things that happen as shows age and the writer's room becomes an echo chamber where the dumbest stories seem brilliant. What The Flash needs is a new showrunner and new and more diverse writers to shake things up. 

Reverse-Flash, as Wells, for it to play out that way with Tom.

TVLINE | Some of us here at the office were surprised that Nora didn’t know key things about Barry’s backstory — specifically, the events surrounding the death of his mother. In your mind, is there a reason she wouldn’t already know such a thing?
In the future, Iris has dampened Nora’s speed and kept her powers from her, so I think this all falls in line with “I don’t want my daughter becoming a speedster and possibly being fated the same way her father was. And If I explain to her this whole backstory about how Nora [Allen] was massacred by this Man in Yellow….” I mean, Nora ultimately finds her way to Thawne, but in that time period he is in prison, so he is “around.” It’s just a way for Iris to try to keep Nora away from Thawne and learning all the stuff she doesn’t know about.

TVLINE | I guess it just makes me wonder what is in the Flash Museum if not his origin story!
The Flash Museum knows a lot, but they had to get their information from someone…. There’s a lot of speculation — they know Nora Allen was killed — but if you go back to Season 1 it was this mysterious Man in Yellow, and they thought Henry [Allen] was responsible, and then Wells was the one who admitted to it.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 6

ET interview with producer Todd Helbing previewing the rest of the season (*spoilers*):

ET: The reveal that Nora has been working with Thawne was the big twist of the midseason finale. How soon are we going to see that storyline begin to unravel?
Todd Helbing: Yeah, we deal with it in episode 10, so we kick off the back half of the season explaining a lot of what's going on with those two. And then, there's quite a bit of Thawne, actually, in the rest of the season. So you get to see this play out in multiple episodes.

Does that mean we'll be seeing less of Sherloque Wells (also played by Cavanagh)?
Yeah, Tom's basically playing two different roles this season, so it's a lot of wigs. But, no, we still see just as much of Sherloque as we have so far.

Um, there can be too much of a good thing, Todd.

Edited by Trini
20 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Honestly, this is the dumbest explanation for why Nora didn't know that Thawne killed her grandmother.  The meta-cure with Cisco and Caitlin isn't much better. These are the kind of things that happen as shows age and the writer's room becomes an echo chamber where the dumbest stories seem brilliant. What The Flash needs is a new showrunner and new and more diverse writers to shake things up. 

I just really appreciate that the media are calling him out on the plot holes, etc. I hope it makes a difference in the writer's room, though.

• Love 2

Another Helbing interview from E!; similar but different quotes (*spoilers*):

[Re: Thawne and Nora:] "We sort of liken this relationship to Hannibal Lecter and Clarice," Helbing says, of course referencing Silence of the Lambs. "So it's this guy that can teach her a lot of things, but she's not quite sure if he's genuine or not. So especially with the warnings that Barry gave her, I think she's starting to really think about and look for those warning signs whenever she talks to him now."

"Because of what happened in episode eight, she's not really eager to tell them that she's working with this guy. She knows it's going to be a massive problem, so it's something that she keeps from them for quite a bit. But ultimately yeah, when everybody finds out that that's the scenario, it's a big deal. She's going to have a lot of explaining to do. 

I do have some issues with some of the storylines they've teased, but this back half is looking to be better than the last few seasons.

12 hours ago, Trini said:

I do have some issues with some of the storylines they've teased, but this back half is looking to be better than the last few seasons.

I think so also. I hope that we are right.

'How The Flash's Candice Patton Is Changing the Game For Black Women in Comic Book Media'

So when Patton made her debut as Iris and faced racist criticism, she didn't back down. She pressed on, knowing that what she was doing was far bigger than herself. "Entertainment is so powerful," she told POPSUGAR over the phone on Jan. 10. "It's where we get our first ideas about what's possible. Because it's all based out of the imagination so I think when people see it — something like a black person or a female being president on television — it eventually happens in real life because we believe it can happen."

With the help of fans and writers who defended the casting decision, backlash against the character died down, and Candice noticed that more people were embracing a black Iris West. And with every episode of The Flash — which is now in its fifth season — not only is Patton recontextualizing the framework of comics, but she's also reinforcing a different standard of beauty. "Anyone who is a minority who's lived especially in the Western world, struggles with feeling beautiful because so often we've been told that we're not," she said. "A lot of it has to do with the fact that we weren't represented. You're watching television shows, and the lead female — the lead desirable woman — is always blond-haired and blue-eyed. That's who the hero is wanting to be with. But hopefully with shows like The Flash, where I get to play a character that is the lead female and the hero's love interest, who is a hero in her own right, you begin to believe that that's beautiful."

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Trini said:
  Hide contents

Cisco missing from an episode AGAIN??

Spoiler

Looks like it. I don't like this cure storyline, but I would've liked it if this subplot this episode would've been just for cisco. I hope Caitlin misses an episode this season.

The TCA (Television Critics Association) Winter Press Tour is next week, and CW's day is Jan. 31. There probably won't be any news about The Flash, but the network will probably make some scheduling announcements.

-----

"Memorabilia" promo:

Edited by Trini

In addition to the one for the next episode, CW put out another promo for The Flash with fatherhood as the theme; featuring the West-Allens and the Flash Museum without the purple filter:

Edited by Trini
Switched to a different link for the video.

The Flash is the most popular superhero show, according to Parrot Analytics: https://screenrant.com/superhero-tv-shows-most-popular-2018/

To get a true sense of popularity, you need to look at more than just viewer numbers. Parrot Analytics, a data science company who measure audience demand for TV content by assessing how viewers interact with a brand online, measure audience demand, engagement, and viewership, assessed through everything from global file-sharing and peer-to-peer traffic to social media activity. They've spoken exclusively to Screen Rant, identifying the US' top 20 superhero shows of 2018 in terms of sheer demand.

The top slot goes to The Flash, which launched back in 2014 and is currently in its fifth season. There's a sense in which this shouldn't be a surprise; when The Flash first began, the pilot became the second-most-watched premiere in the history of The CW (after The Vampire Diaries in 2009). It stars Grant Gustin as Barry Allen, the "Fastest Man Alive," and Candice Patton as his beloved Iris. Season 4 introduced a new hero into Team Flash, Hartley Sawyer's Elongated Man, a detective with an incredibly malleable body, and ran through to early 2018. The current season, which kicked off in October and is still ongoing, has introduced Jessica Parker Kennedy as Barry and Iris' daughter Nora, a.k.a. XS, who has traveled back in time from the future to team up with her dad. According to Parrot Analytics, The Flash is going from strength to strength, so it will be thrilling to see how the show fares in 2019.

• Love 2

Interview with Hartley Sawyer about Ralph this season:

As part of that growth, we're starting to see Ralph as much more of his classic detective self, something that really stems from his comic book roots. As an actor, has it been tricky to balance that with the sort of slapstick absurdism of his comedy?

No, it's not, not really -- for me, it's not a challenge to balance it because that's absolutely who he is. I haven't dug into the comics a whole ton because I didn't want to get a mental picture in my head of how it ought to be played, but I had some familiarity and I have seen bits and pieces here or there and in the comics, he's a truly brilliant detective. But he still says the wrong thing and gets himself hit in the face or whatever. And he always will be that way. He may not say it in the most finessed way, but he knows what's going on. I personally love exploring detective aspect of him. I think it's so much fun to do.

Interviews and photo spreads with Hartley Sawyer and Jessica Parker Kennedy at A Book Of (not sure when these interviews happened, but the Hartley one seems recent):

http://www.abookof.us/openbook/jessica-parker-kennedy

What is is like working with your cast mates on The Flash. What do you guys bond with when you’re not working.

They’re really cool people and I’m so happy to have met each and every one of them. We haven’t really bonded outside of work because I fly home to LA every weekend.

What is the most memorable or craziest thing you experienced on set?

I really enjoy being strung up on the wires by a harness. You feel weightless and like you’re flying but it’s also really awkward and uncomfortable. The more episodes and the little stunts I do in them, the more I find myself feeling less like a super hero and more like a clumsy otter!

ABO+JESSICA+PARKER+KENNEDY+06.jpg?format

http://www.abookof.us/openbook/hartley-sawyer

What’s it like working with your castmates on The Flash? What do you guys bond over when you’re not working?

It’s a joy. It’s a great group of people – every single one of them. I learn and grow every episode, every week. I’m surrounded by very bright and talented people. I grow simply by being around that. We all have busy lives, significant others, families – so when we aren’t working a lot of our focus is on that. But in spending time together, I’ve bonded with my castmates over similar life experiences, the challenges of being away from your family while working; things like that. Some of us have walked similar journeys at various times – and I’ve found a mutual understanding in some of my castmates that I would never have guessed I would find. Life surprises you, in the best of ways.

What is the most memorable or craziest thing that you experienced on set?

It occurs to me that the very first time I saw Grant in the full Flash costume last year, I paused for a moment. Internally, I was eight years old again in an instant. I was looking at a superhero. I remember thinking: “that’s why we do this.” Ninety years old or three years old, that feeling is something so special and timeless. It’s like seeing Santa Claus. That was special for me.

?format=500w

• Love 2

So, both of them say there's no bonding outside work, lol.

Real familial group this cast is, isn't it? I had a feeling it was like that with these people. Other casts seem a lot closer than these guys.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, ruby24 said:

Real familial group this cast is, isn't it? I had a feeling it was like that with these people. Other casts seem a lot closer than these guys.

I appreciate the honesty. They sound like real life co-workers. They get along at work and then on the weekends or on break they head home to recover and spend time with their family and friends. I hate the fake "we are family" and "we socialize all the time when we aren't on set" crap that so many of these tv actors sell to their fans. If we spent that much time with our co-workers, we would be forever at each other's throats.  

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, ruby24 said:

I think that works with younger predominantly single and childless cast with little extended familial commitments. Then it makes sense for them to "make family" with co-workers.  It doesn't work with an older cast of married people and/or parents who already have families of their own. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ursula said:

I think that works with younger predominantly single and childless cast with little extended familial commitments. Then it makes sense for them to "make family" with co-workers.  It doesn't work with an older cast of married people and/or parents who already have families of their own. 

Unless you're talking about Tom Cavanagh, that's not this cast at all though. None of them have kids, and when the show started they were all unmarried and in their twenties (they're still in their twenties, or only just hitting 30).

They just didn't bond the way young casts usually do on these shows, which is kind of interesting. I feel like that must have been part of the reason Grant Gustin raced off to get married so young (and fast) to someone he just met, because the bond between the cast just wasn't as tight up there and made him lonely or something.

• Love 1