Type keyword(s) to search

Halloween (2018)

• Start Topic

So basically the sequels never happened, and Michael isn't Laurie's brother.

I'm fine with that.  And I'm all for Laurie fucking him up.  As long as she doesn't get another pitiful death like in Halloween: Resurrection. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I actually like Halloween 2 but them being siblings did make the rest of the series problematic.

Halloween 4 is a fair enjoyable movie to watch in October. 5 is a mess and 6 is a train wreck. The producers cut of Part 6 at least makes more sense but still not great.

I too look forward to Laurie being back and kicking butt.  Hated what happened to her in Resurrection. I should have left the cinema the second she died.  Laurie was a great final girl yes she keeps throwing the knife away but still she did pretty good.  That was one of the things missing from the remake. 

The trailer looks good and its cool original Shape/Myers Nick Castle is back. I know another actor did the stunts.

Look forward to the new score from Carpenter. Everyone involved has love for the original and seems to have cared about the work.

Edited by ShadowHunter

The oldies but goodies work on me -- I just watched the trailer in the first post, and yelped when the babysitter re-opened the closet door and Michael was there.

I saw the original and almost all the sequels; I never saw part III (since it had nothing to do with the rest) or Resurrection (I just couldn't with the live internet show thing, and then I heard about Laurie dying and was firm on taking a pass), but I saw everything else up through H20 -- which I trekked to the theater opening week to see because Laurie was back.  As I will with this one.  The only ones I remember details about are the original (one of my favorite horror films) and part IV (love the ending), but I guess I won't have to undertake a marathon re-watch to refresh my memory if this one is going to throw them all out.

• Love 1
On 7/24/2018 at 11:57 AM, ShadowHunter said:

I actually like Halloween 2

So do I. 

On 7/24/2018 at 11:57 AM, ShadowHunter said:

Halloween 4 is a fair enjoyable movie to watch in October. 5 is a mess and 6 is a train wreck. The producers cut of Part 6 at least makes more sense but still not great.

I have a soft spot for Parts 4 and 5 for some reason, though I thoroughly agree that Part 6 is godawful. That said, I don't like the way the 7th film ignores the continuity of 4/5/6, because it didn't have to. 

I think we can all agree that Resurrection was beyond horrible, but I do like that bit when Michael returns his knife to the inmate and hands it to him with the "safe" end first. That's right, kids. Even a psychotic, inhumane serial killer knows the proper way to hand someone a sharp object.

• Love 2
(edited)

I used to like to watch all of the Halloween movies. Even the third one, that had nothing to do with the rest of them. I saw that one when I was a kid, and not feeling well, so I got to sleep in mum's room, and to watch the TV in there. 

I don't remember the last time I watched all of them. the first is still a favourite. I wasn't keen on the remake, that was eleven years ago? Yikes. Time is moving too fast. I love Jamie lee Curtis, and will probably see it, at least on netflix or DVD. I don't think I saw the last one - resurrection. I'll have to look it up.

Edited by Anela
9 hours ago, Camille said:

I have a soft spot for Parts 4 and 5 for some reason, though I thoroughly agree that Part 6 is godawful. That said, I don't like the way the 7th film ignores the continuity of 4/5/6, because it didn't have to

I think in some ways it had too. 5 introduced the mark on his arm which the producers have said was left for the creators of the next movie to figure out. No surprise this series started to fall apart.  5 would have been better if Rachel had stuck around more but we get Tina instead.

The real issue is Laurie keeps her son John around but ditched her daughter? The idea she kept one kid over the other opens a whole can of worms.  I can see why they dropped it. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

The real issue is Laurie keeps her son John around but ditched her daughter? The idea she kept one kid over the other opens a whole can of worms.  I can see why they dropped it. 

Yes, it's not good. But there was supposed to be a scene where she learns of Jamie's death and has to excuse herself to throw up because she's so upset.

I hate movies that are part of a series that ignore a previous movie (or multiple ones, in this case). I'm looking forward to this one, but I don't like that it's going to ignore the second film.

I thought the only worth while Halloween movies were the original, the sequel, 4 and H20.

i have a soft spot for Halloween 4, cause Ellie and Rachel were awesome, especially Danielle Harris ( who I wish was bought back for this film, instead of being wasted on the Rob zombie films)

For a movie that's going to ignore all previous sequels, there seem to be a lot of references to them. That scene where he goes into the woman's kitchen is straight out of part 2.

And how can they say that he was sent back to the institution when he clearly vanished at the end of the movie?

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, Camille said:

For a movie that's going to ignore all previous sequels, there seem to be a lot of references to them. That scene where he goes into the woman's kitchen is straight out of part 2.

And how can they say that he was sent back to the institution when he clearly vanished at the end of the movie?

Two excellent points, unless the movies is saying that after Loomis shot Michael and he fell out of the window, he never got up and ran away?

And I have a question, my eyesight isn't what it used to be--the scene where he goes into the women's bathroom, what does he drop over the door and into the stall?  Is it teeth?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

Two excellent points, unless the movies is saying that after Loomis shot Michael and he fell out of the window, he never got up and ran away?

I hope not, because a MAJOR reason the ending of the first movie was so creepy was that Michael vanished yet again. Plus, the movie emphasized that with the montage of everywhere he'd lurked throughout the film.

2 hours ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

And I have a question, my eyesight isn't what it used to be--the scene where he goes into the women's bathroom, what does he drop over the door and into the stall?  Is it teeth

It looks like it.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Camille said:

For a movie that's going to ignore all previous sequels, there seem to be a lot of references to them. That scene where he goes into the woman's kitchen is straight out of part 2

Yeah, IMDB trivia says "While the film ignores all previous sequels, it pays homage to all Halloween films, as had been intended by co-writer Danny McBride"  So that's fun. The spoiler part of the trivia has other specific scenes and references,

4 hours ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

And I have a question, my eyesight isn't what it used to be--the scene where he goes into the women's bathroom, what does he drop over the door and into the stall?  Is it teeth?

Looks like teeth to me! (Ew)

5 hours ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

Yep.  Roots and all.

1 hour ago, Rilla-my-Rilla said:

Yeah, IMDB trivia says "While the film ignores all previous sequels, it pays homage to all Halloween films, as had been intended by co-writer Danny McBride" 

We'll see how it actually plays, but that sounds fabulous!

• Love 2
On 7/30/2018 at 6:21 AM, CheetaraThunder said:

I thought the only worth while Halloween movies were the original, the sequel, 4 and H20.

i have a soft spot for Halloween 4, cause Ellie and Rachel were awesome, especially Danielle Harris ( who I wish was bought back for this film, instead of being wasted on the Rob zombie films)

I was willing to give the Rob Zombie film a chance, but I absolutely hated the retcon of Michael being from a poor white trash family. What made Michael's murder of Judith so shocking was the fact that they came from a well-to-do suburb and he looked like an innocent little kid.

I don't get why this franchise loves to shit on Danielle Harris. She clearly wanted to come back and she still could have been playing Laurie's daughter, if not Jamie someone else.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 5
On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 3:39 PM, Camille said:

I'm excited for the new movie but my one concern is that it will be too self-referential to the rest of the series for its own good.

The beginning of the new trailer draws heavily from the original Halloween 2. The kid with the boom box bumping into Michael occurs in Halloween 2 just before Michael heads to the hospital. Michael taking the hammer is a reference to the scene later in Halloween 2 where Michael kills the security guard, Mr. Garrett, with a hammer. The entire scene with the older woman is a direct lift from Halloween 2 -- the woman in her bathrobe, Michael stealing the knife from the kitchen, even the piece of ham on the cutting board. What looks like Michael leaving the older woman's house and going next door where the young woman is home alone appears in Halloween 2 right after Michael departs the elderly couple's home. (This last scene may be deceptive -- it may take place at a different point in the movie.)

I hope the entire movie isn't 'spot the reference'.

Edited by Jan Spears
3 hours ago, Jan Spears said:

I hope the entire movie isn't 'spot the reference'.

If it's a string of "spot the reference" shots that don't add up on their own to a cohesive, scary story, it's going to suck and the whole "this film posits the sequels didn't happen, but is littered with allusions to them" will just be one big "you can't have it both ways" failed ploy.  If it manages to be its own film, while providing the audience well versed in the franchise with the bonus of well-placed allusions (e.g. the Psych episodes that work for a general audience and also provide moments of glee to those readily familiar with the source material being referenced), it will be brilliant.  I have no idea which one it will be, but if it's the latter, I'll be thrilled.  Like with Scream, which turned out to simultaneously be a good slasher film and a brilliant parody of slasher films, when from previews I wasn't sure it was going to pull either one off.

• Love 1
On 7/30/2018 at 6:21 AM, CheetaraThunder said:

I like Danielle Harris also.  Agree about her being in the Rob Zombie ones. Maybe she would have made Laurie better but then again the dialogue is still the same. 

Sucked Rachel died so quickly in Part 5.  

• Love 1

“Halloween” is my favorite Halloween movie of all time. I can watch it over and over again and it’s still as suspenseful as the first time I watched it. It’s such a great movie! 

I also really like parts 4 and 5 as well as H2O. 

I’m looking forward to seeing this new “Halloween.” I agree that it would’ve been awesome if Danielle Harris had been a part of it.

• Love 3

On the subject of sequels, I remember when Scream 3 was coming they had three scripts: one with a little bit of Sidney, one where she was a supporting character and one where she’d feature throughout the movie which is what the ended up with. When it came to Resurrection I understand they could’ve have Jaime Lee Curtis star in it, but they could’ve been more creative with her screentime. She could’ve been a figure like Dr. Loomis with more of a supporting role. Killing her off in the beginning was such a waste. 

With this new film I’m pretty excited. I hate that it discards all the sequels, but we went through that with H20 which was great so I’ll go along for the ride. I’m interested in seeing where this will go, especially since there will be a sequel likely fast tracked. 

• Love 1

This was definitely enjoyable, although I thought it meandered a bit. It's also really interesting to watch this and compare it to H20, because you can really see the difference in what horror movies looked like in the 1990's and what they look like now, especially in the attic scene in this one that's very quiet and kind of felt influenced by the Conjuring. Whereas H20 definitely had some Scream elements going on.

The switch Judy Greer did at the end was great. Not quite as awesome as the one Alison Williams did in Get Out, but still pretty awesome.

Edited by methodwriter85

This was easily the best sequel. Prior to that I felt H20 was, which I still love, but this one also had a unique take that made the continuity issues worth it. I feel Jaime Lee Curtis gave a performance that is Oscar worthy had this not been a horror film. What really made this work was the fact that the writers humanized these characters and gave them their own perspectives. In slasher films you don’t uusally have that type of character development. I also loved the humor that was laced throughout. It lightened the mood when needed without taking you out of the scene. 

Casting was good and I thought the kills were good and not overly brutal like Rob Zombie. For me, the scariest part is the suspense leading up to something happening. I don’t necessarily need it to be horribly gory to be frightened. 

With the success we know a sequel is coming, but I can’t imagine where they will go with things. They’ve set up a new cast that works even if they can’t get Curtis back, but if Michael is no longer immortal how will he come back from that fire? My favorite part was seeing Michael be shot and bleed, lose fingers, etc. It didn’t take away from his scariness to make him more humor. 

• Love 1

JLC didn't disappoint.

But Laurie's family got on my nerves.

Wish they hadn't erased H20 and got Josh Hartnett and Michelle Williams to return.

John and Molly now married, with a child.

Oh and the twist with another character, had me rolling my eyes.

With that said....

The actor who wore the mask this time, joins Nick Castle, Dick Warlock and Chris Durand.

As the best portrayals of Michael Meyers /The Shape in the franchise.

I loved how the ending flipped the roles from the original, with Michael looking for Laurie instead of Laurie looking for Michael.  I laughed out loud when Michael looked over the patio to the ground and Laurie wasn't there.

Of course Michael isn't dead.

• Love 2
On 10/17/2018 at 3:11 AM, KnotsLanding said:

On the subject of sequels, I remember when Scream 3 was coming they had three scripts: one with a little bit of Sidney, one where she was a supporting character and one where she’d feature throughout the movie which is what the ended up with. When it came to Resurrection I understand they could’ve have Jaime Lee Curtis star in it, but they could’ve been more creative with her screentime. She could’ve been a figure like Dr. Loomis with more of a supporting role. Killing her off in the beginning was such a waste. 

With this new film I’m pretty excited. I hate that it discards all the sequels, but we went through that with H20 which was great so I’ll go along for the ride. I’m interested in seeing where this will go, especially since there will be a sequel likely fast tracked. 

Curtis asked to be killed off so she could be done with the franchise.

I saw Halloween yesterday. I didn't dislike it but it left me cold.

The good points:

1) Jamie Lee Curtis was in fine form in her signature role. I agree with the poster who wrote that Curtis deserves consideration during the current awards season for her performance in this. But, I also agree with the poster's sentiment that this kind of film will preclude any such consideration.

2) I liked how the movie tried to give characterization and back story to many different characters and not just the three main female characters. I especially liked how Frank (the sheriff's deputy) was tied in to the events of October 31, 1978, and how he regretted stopping Loomis from finishing off the wounded Michael.

3) Halloween (2018) and its relationship to Halloween (1978) reminded me a lot of the relationship between Alien (1979) and Aliens (1986). Alien was a horror movie and Aliens was a war movie. The same thing applied with Halloween (1978) (horror) and Halloween (2018) (war).

The bad points:

1) By dispensing with all of the accretions that followed in the wake of the first movie, the script writers made the current Halloween different -- but not necessarily better. I missed Michael being Laurie's brother, especially since the script writers went to so much trouble to create such a powerful matriarchy (mother-daughter-granddaughter) to serve as his antagonists. Michael returning to settle unfinished business (killing Laurie) 40 years later played as nothing more than vanity on his part. Also, I thought H2O had the better introductory set-up in that Michael had been missing for 20 years but was not presumed dead. This would have been a more powerful explanation for Laurie's paranoid survivalism in the current film than what was provided.

2) The finished movie made the mistake of having characters state something on-screen which was then contradicted by what the audience actually saw. Specifically, I'm referring to Laurie's constant admonitions that Michael will return/has returned to Haddonfield to settle a score with her. But what we actually see doesn't comport with those sentiments. Michael goes on a killing spree but there's no indication that he has any kind of plan to find Laurie. That their paths cross is complete happenstance. Michael ending up at Laurie's stronghold later in the movie is also a complete fluke.

3) The movie just wasn't very scary. There's the odd unsettling scene, as when Allyson is stuck in the back seat of the police car with Michael. But the enormous body count -- I counted between 18-19 on-screen deaths -- ended up making the movie less scary for me rather than more. I found myself tuning out and watching the movie more for the special effects than any actual scares. (And I really despised what Michael did to the young boy at the site of the bus crash.)

I would still put Halloween 2 as the best of all the sequels.

Edited by Jan Spears
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Racj82 said:

Curtis asked to be killed off so she could be done with the franchise.

I do remember that and she only returned bc it was written into her H20 contract, but that’s not an excuse for how horrible the wrote her exit. You could’ve still taken the limited time they had with her and written something more fitting to her legacy. 

Did Curtis lose weight for this? She looks a bit leaner than she did during her "I'm no longer the Body and I'm loving it!" phase of her career. Not back to her original 120 fighting weight, but a bit thinner than she's been for awhile. I guess all that Activia did wonders for her. I also really liked the wig they gave her- it looked much more natural than they one they had her wear for Halloween 2.

On 10/20/2018 at 8:48 PM, MrsRafaelBarba said:

Wish they hadn't erased H20 and got Josh Hartnett and Michelle Williams to return.

John and Molly now married, with a child.

That would have been great- Halloween H20 was my introduction into the series. And they still could have gone with Laurie having spent the last few decades pulling a Linda Hamilton.

• Love 3

I liked this, and as much as I liked the "final" Laurie vs. Michael ending in H20 (even though the film as a whole was just okay), this one is even better, with three generations of Strode women, and all the planning Laurie put into it, and - while the box office means a sequel is pretty much inevitable - I'd love for this to be the end of the franchise.

I liked all the nods to the original and part II (even though I don't much like part II), but I only caught a few from later sequels.  I'm sure there will be a list compiled somewhere.

Spoiler

When the doctor killed the sheriff, I did not see that coming (sure, he was weird, but all psychiatrists on TV/film are only slightly less crazy than their patients), and for a brief moment I wondered if Michael really was dead and he was going to take over from there.  I did, however, know the daughter was faking when she did the "Mom, I can't do it!" routine, but that didn't stop me cheering any when she said, "Gotcha" and shot him.

• Love 1

I liked the movie. Better than H20, which I love, and possibly the best of the sequels. I do kind of hate the way they've gone back and forth like three times about what counts depending on the sequels but this is a good one. I think it does make less sense that Laurie would be so (rightfully) paranoid if Michael Myers had only tried to kill her the one time. PTSD and prepared, sure, but the lengths she went to would make more sense if they were related or just if he had tried to kill her several times because Halloween 2 or H20 happened in some form. Great performance by Jamie Lee Curtis (as we should expect) and I liked seeing her with the long hair for the first time in years. Loved the twist on Laurie being the one the teenage girl spots lurking outside the classroom. And the callback of "Do as I say." I figured the Karen (?) was likely to die, so when she went into badass mode, which that actress never gets to play, I absolutely loved it. 

That last shot of Allison in her costume with the bloody knife, was that a mirror or the last shot of the original? It seemed familiar, but I haven't seen it in many years.

Can we get some movie where Laurie Strode and Sydney Prescott meet? I don't even care why, I just want the ultimate Final Girls to meet.

• Love 1

Just got back from seeing this. I loved it, Jamie Lee is my boo though. But y'all, the scariest part was that gas station bathroom. I would have just stood up and let Michael kill me before I would have gone crawling on that floor. Shudder

• Love 7
9 hours ago, festivus said:

But y'all, the scariest part was that gas station bathroom. I would have just stood up and let Michael kill me before I would have gone crawling on that floor. Shudder

After the movie, my friend complained, "Gas station bathrooms don't have stalls; it's just a toilet and a sink."  I squealed, "You've actually used a gas station bathroom?!"  It was funny that they had her recoiling in disgust when she opened the first two stall doors, at least.

Did anyone catch the

Spoiler

P.J. Soles

cameo in real time, rather than being "wait, what? cool!" surprised upon seeing the credits?  I noticed the many ways that classroom scene was a nod to the original, even including the teacher being heard but not seen, but am not remotely familiar enough with

Spoiler

Soles

to have caught that it was her voice we were hearing as the teacher.

Edited by Bastet

I am in the minority but I didn't love it :(  I agree with the above poster who said Laurie's family got on my nerves (and I love Judy Greer).  The whole boyfriend character seemed pointless other than an excuse for the granddaughter to not have her phone.  My favorite part was the scene with the babysitter and the adorable boy she was sitting for.....they had a cute chemistry together.  The doctor scene seemed like it came out of left field.....also agreed I didn't hate it but it left me cold as well.    

• Love 3

I consider myself being a huge Halloween fanboy and I've been waiting new film for a decade with a burning passion. But I ended up hating this one. It's not the worst of the franchise, but definitely my least favorite. Parts 5 and 6, Zombie's films and hell, even Resurrection had some interesting/memorable stuff in them, even though the films were utter garbage. For this one, nothing. It felt empty and shallow. There's nothing actually wrong with it, but there's nothing right either. It just... bleh.

• Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 9:36 AM, AnnieHeights said:

The whole boyfriend character seemed pointless other than an excuse for the granddaughter to not have her phone.

The entire movie was built on contrivances like that. Another example is how stupidly and irresponsibly the Haddonfield police acted. Michael's escape the night before Halloween and the murders at the gas station on Halloween were known to them. The police should have ordered people to stay inside on Halloween night while they hunted for Michael, Instead, we see the streets thronged with kids out trick-or-treating when Michael starts his rampage!

17 hours ago, RedMal said:

It felt empty and shallow. There's nothing actually wrong with it, but there's nothing right either.

I had a similar reaction and I think it was because so much of the movie consisted of set pieces from other movies in the series. The gas station sequence was cobbled together from similar scenes in Halloween 4 and H20. Michael's first nighttime appearance on Halloween was a recapitulation of three separate scenes from Halloween 2. Even the confrontation between Laurie and Michael at her stronghold depended heavily on their confrontation from Halloween.

Edited by Jan Spears
  • Love 3

I just came back from watching this. I only recently saw the original film, but Halloween H20 came out when I was 18 and I've watched it a lot of times. I even own it on VHS, heh. I didn't like that this movie erased so many things from H20. One, I liked Laurie and Michael being related. It gave them a 'relationship' and a reason for him tormenting her in the previous movies. Two, I liked Josh Hartnett being her son. I loved him in H20 so for him to not even exist was sort of a slap in the face. Where the hell did this daughter come from all of a sudden?  Third, rewriting things so that Michael was locked up for 40 years didn't explain why Laurie was so messed up since their initial encounter in the first movie. Yes, I get she was traumatized. However, keeping the events in H20 would go a long way in explaining why Laurie was so obsessed that Jason might someday return and that's why she became a recluse and turned her house into a fortress. 

Anyway, it was an okay movie, but I really felt it could have been better is not so many things had been recanted. 

My favourite scene was the babysitter and the little boy. Their interactions had me cracking up. I was sad to see her die. 

On 11/1/2018 at 7:36 AM, AnnieHeights said:

My favorite part was the scene with the babysitter and the adorable boy she was sitting for.....they had a cute chemistry together.

3 hours ago, jewel21 said:

My favourite scene was the babysitter and the little boy. Their interactions had me cracking up. I was sad to see her die. 

They were great!  Their dynamic was fun; I love the mutual blackmail.  And he played the funny in a way that elevated the "kids are only like this in fiction" writing, while she was the perfect blend of the TV/movie stereotypes of good babysitters and bad babysitters, balancing out to a very real character I cared about in short order.  Their segment was a highlight.

• Love 5
On 11/2/2018 at 11:31 PM, Bastet said:

They were great!  Their dynamic was fun; I love the mutual blackmail.  And he played the funny in a way that elevated the "kids are only like this in fiction" writing, while she was the perfect blend of the TV/movie stereotypes of good babysitters and bad babysitters, balancing out to a very real character I cared about in short order.  Their segment was a highlight.

My theater got a big chuckle out of "Send Dave!" I'm glad the kid made it out alive.

• Love 1
On 3.11.2018 at 1:37 AM, Jan Spears said:

The entire movie was built on contrivances like that. Another example is how stupidly and irresponsibly the Haddonfield police acted. Michael's escape the night before Halloween and the murders at the gas station on Halloween were known to them. The police should have ordered people to stay inside on Halloween night while they hunted for Michael, Instead, we see the streets thronged with kids out trick-or-treating when Michael starts his rampage!

Also the twist with the "new Loomis" (other than giving flashbacks of Thorn) existed only so Michael could escape from the car. And the podcasters were there only for exposition + a way for Michael to get his mask back. It's extremely lazy screenwriting.

On 10/22/2018 at 6:02 PM, Jan Spears said:

The movie just wasn't very scary. There's the odd unsettling scene, as when Allyson is stuck in the back seat of the police car with Michael. But the enormous body count -- I counted between 18-19 on-screen deaths -- ended up making the movie less scary for me rather than more. I found myself tuning out and watching the movie more for the special effects than any actual scares. (And I really despised what Michael did to the young boy at the site of the bus crash.)

I would still put Halloween 2 as the best of all the sequels.

I love Halloween 2 as well. Michael did kill 9 people in that one though. While this movie had more deaths Karen and seeing her face continue to burn was pretty brutal. I thought that was worse then what we saw in this movie.  In part 2 while he is killing Karen the added tough that Michael's hand never got burned was good. Added to him being evil.

I enjoyed this movie. It was not perfect but far better then all the sequels we got over the years.

Great to hear a new Carpenter score again.

Jamie lee Curtis was good.  Laurie was always one of the best final girls. After 40 years Laurie was strong,scared,vulnerable, and flawed. As she should have been. 

Michael was finally a threat again. He was a joke in the last few films.  

The DR. was silly. I did like when he saw Laurie though he had this real Fanboy expression on his face. 

The kid was a riot and he lived!! 

This will be a good movie to pop on after watching the original. 

Edited by ShadowHunter
  • Love 1

Ha!  I really liked the movie as part of the Halloween franchise, but wouldn't have thought much of it as a stand-alone horror film, so I quite enjoyed that. 

"You can run.  You can hide.  But ... Actually, you can; he's not much of a mover."

• Love 1