Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Chapter 18

Bort

(edited)

So Syd is the Minotaur now, right? And is that part of Farouk's plan? And how does Lenny and Chekov's sniper rifle fit in here?

I love ya Syd, but how did you not see that bunny was bait? IT WAS ON A FISH HOOK!

Edited by AimingforYoko
  • Love 3

Ok show, seriously, next year more Melanie, when you cast Jean Smart you need to use Jean Smart.

It's even in her name, she's effing SMART!

Anyway, I need a Dan Stevens/Jean Smart epic smackdown next season, those two in opposition would be very interesting to watch.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

One of the scenes makes it look like David gets Lenny/Amy pregnant in the future

I noticed that too. I have no idea. In fact I mostly don’t know what’s going on, but even in my bewildered state I still enjoy it. 

Why didn’t Syd immediately question why she was dragged into an abyss by a hook where Melanie was waiting with images of David’s activities, and why/how Melanie was there at all? I mean she did eventually but very weakly. I know the world in which they exist is weird and surreal, but even so, this warranted way more skepticism by  Syd. 

I like the Cary/Kerry character(s) but I don’t find Kerry to be credible as a fierce fighter. There are ways to choreograph and shoot a fight scene to make it more believable. They really skipped on that, it seems, in favor of a giant pink drain stopper. 

Speaking if fighting… Syd, who is not a fighter at all, decides she wants to take on a Minotaur, and swings at its…horn?

• Love 1

Loved the opening with David's ode to the comic hair.

So... yeah... I'm going to need a David/Melanie smackdown in the future.

Obvious trap is obviously obvious... except to Syd. Syd's the Minotaur, as someone up thread mentioned... but what side will she ultimately be on.

I love Kerry... but haven't bought her as a convincing badass at all.  It just has never looked convincing.

I just kept waiting for someone to just, you know, gaze or quip about the giant hole in the ground, or heck... the GIANT PINK BATH STOPPER.

I now this show can be needlessly weird sometimes, but...a giant pink bath stopper in the desert! That just great stuff right there! And, I love you Syd, but, you really didnt see that trap coming? Do you need a warning from Admiral Ackbar? 

So David gets not only his comic book hair, but his comic book name, Legion, finally said out loud. I cant wait to see the Syd/Melanie smack down in the future, thats gonna be so epic. Getting a bit dark there, huh David? At least its not a Pokeball. 

Glad that Carry is alright, at least for now. Loved Kerry beating down the whole clone mob, and Lenny saving her with her convenient machine gun.

Loved the mustachioed clone androids (god the things this show lets my type) just giving a big NOPE when Farouk showed up.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, CyberJawa1986 said:

I just kept waiting for someone to just, you know, gaze or quip about the giant hole in the ground, or heck... the GIANT PINK BATH STOPPER.

I thought Lenny was going to when she first showed up, but her just sitting down with the box head guys to meditate was just as good. It actually makes things even more surreal when the characters don't react. Like the great big gun being inside the little suitcase.

• Love 1
(edited)

This all HAS to be a mindscape rather than the real world, right? All the weird desert time/space shenanigans, the giant drain stopper, a live bunny as a giant fishing lure, an army of martial artists crawling out of a hole in the ground swinging weaponized bull-roarers, Kerry beating them all up despite 1-100 odds, the TARDIS satchel with that gun, Melanie just showing up out of nowhere, the Minotaur (which we last saw in Melanie's mind while she was trapped by the chattering plague)...

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 2
(edited)

Damn, this show has gotten so weird and the timelines so jumbled that I can't even tell the players WITH a scorecard anymore.

If I had to try to describe the action in Season 2 to someone else I just couldn't.  Even Westworld isn't quite this convoluted yet, although it's heading in that direction.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Love 2
On 4/11/2018 at 12:19 AM, immortalfrieza said:

Ah... trippy as always Legion, never change. Well, don't go TOO trippy. All I can think of to say that hasn't been said already is, does anyone honestly think that the Shadow King isn't going to get his original body back and become "unstoppable"? I don't think there's a chance in hell he won't.

^ Me at the first episode of the season. Cue my complete lack of surprise this episode, they obviously weren't going to have this big reveal that Farouk was looking for his body and he's become "unstoppable" if he got it back if it wasn't going to actually happen. Now it's simply a question of how David manages to beat him despite that at this point. My question would be why the Monks would bother to preserve Farouk's body so that it would still be inhabitable by him instead of being long dead like it should be.

• Love 1

The Mi-go Monk said they couldn't drown it or burn it, presumably they weren't doing anything to keep it preserved either—just safeguarding it (at least until it drove them all crazy).

• Love 1

David and his comic hair and outfit and they even called him Legion! I was waiting for it at some point - but what the hell did that opening scene mean?! Is Lenny pregnant on the floor?!

In season 1, while the world was pretty weird it was still normal enough while all the really crazy stuff was happening in David's mind. Now all the weird and surreal stuff, people with baskets and boxes on their heads and big holes in the desert with chained plugs beside them, is happening in the 'real world' and it's like it's normal? That's what is really putting me off this season.

Poor Oliver - but why was he still acting like Farouk even when he was gone? Also David is getting pretty dark...

Farouk's body was in an egg-shaped coffin? And even though the body has been lying empty for over 30 years at least, it's still perfectly habitable?

My God, Syd is so easily led and so easily set against David. Also, she never once questions why Melanie is in a big hole in the ground in the middle of the desert with a bunch of clips of David to show her?

No one has mentioned Ptonomy or shown any kind emotional response to his death! What is up with that?

Have I just forgotten it or has David's abduction by the orb for a year been explained at all?

The actor who plays Clark is a regular right? Because this isn't the first time he's appeared for 2 minutes and then been knocked out!

The first season was trippy but still had a story I could follow - this season is just trippy and nothing else. I still love it and I liked this episode but it's just annoying.

I have no idea how they're going to wrap everything up in one episode, but I don't see it happening.

• Love 3

I kept waiting for Syd to lose her arm; does it happen because her hooked hand goes untreated, resulting in gangrene? I think she loses her left arm, though. Maybe the minotaur bites it off?

I assume that the reason Cary and Kerry weren't completely incapacitated by the bolo sound as were the soldiers was that the helmets magnified the noise?

I missed both that reclining Lenny appeared pregnant in the opening and the details of Syd's fight with the minotaur (and probably a bunch of other stuff) because a great portion of the show is just too dark. Does everyone adjust their tv settings just for this show? I don't think my settings are darker than normal. Other shows seem normal.

Oh, Syd!  Don't worry: almost every comic book hero goes through a "violent and somewhat psychotic" phase!  Don't give up on David.... yet.  But it certainly seems like they're heading towards her believing he's the truth threat.  And this probably going to play right in Farouk's hands.

Aubrey Plaza with a rife: yep, I can dig it!

Can't believe the finale is almost here and I still don't know what the hell is going on.  At this point, I'm waiting for it to end with Narrator Jon Hamm being responsible for everything that is happening.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 6/9/2018 at 7:14 PM, superloislane said:

Poor Oliver - but why was he still acting like Farouk even when he was gone? Also David is getting pretty dark...

My God, Syd is so easily led and so easily set against David. Also, she never once questions why Melanie is in a big hole in the ground in the middle of the desert with a bunch of clips of David to show her?

Remember that Farouk is a master telepath who can manipulate people's perceptions, alter memories, and flat-out mind control them. Last year he pulled most of the cast into that asylum scenario in David's mind and they weren't questioning the sudden change in setting, Lenny's role as their therapist, etc. until Oliver intervened. I thought it was actually impressive when Syd repeatedly shrugged off Melanie's narrative to ask her how she was showing all those scenes featuring David. Of course she didn't manage to question what Melanie was doing in a hole under the desert in the first place, which I'm wondering about myself since last we saw she was back at Division 3 HQ and so far as we know Farouk can't teleport like David can.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 2
On 08/06/2018 at 5:22 AM, Bruinsfan said:

This all HAS to be a mindscape rather than the real world, right? All the weird desert time/space shenanigans, the giant drain stopper, a live bunny as a giant fishing lure, an army of martial artists crawling out of a hole in the ground swinging weaponized bull-roarers, Kerry beating them all up despite 1-100 odds, the TARDIS satchel with that gun, Melanie just showing up out of nowhere, the Minotaur (which we last saw in Melanie's mind while she was trapped by the chattering plague)...

If this isn't David's mind maze that everybody's been sucked into then I officially have no clue what's going on. Although I feel like saying 'it was all a DREAM' after 11 episodes is a bit dissatisfying. But the very first scene suggests it. I admit I don't like that the monster at the centre of David's maze is Syd. Even if you say she's love then there's still something kind of ... sexist... about the whole thing somehow. And Melanie's character isn't helping that feeling. Of course, it could be that David is the monster at the centre of Syd's maze and that's way more interesting to me.

On 10/06/2018 at 10:14 AM, superloislane said:

Farouk's body was in an egg-shaped coffin? And even though the body has been lying empty for over 30 years at least, it's still perfectly habitable?

Doesn't this whole thing suggest that, from the very beginning, Farouk didn't exist but is merely an idea? As though he's a meme of power without compassion, rather than an actual being? Eggs have symbolised destructive, existential social delusions throughout this season. So doesn't that suggest that Farouk is not real but is merely an idea of power planted in David's head?

I hated the parallel universe episode because I couldn't work out what the point was. It added to the feel that this season isn't coherent. But it occurs to me that it showed that, in the end, David is capable of great destruction even when he doesn't mean to - and there was a version of him in that episode that was sociopathic simply because he was encouraged to use his powers for his own benefit rather than for the benefit of others. So maybe that was the point - assuming they're not going to go with a version of him actually crossing over to our reality.

The first season was trippy but still had a story I could follow - this season is just trippy and nothing else. I still love it and I liked this episode but it's just annoying.

I haven't enjoyed this season anywhere near as much. There are numerous times when the surrealism felt forced as though it was its own point rather than something that is servicing plot. Things like the random cow earlier in the season I just love. But some of the other stuff is just random and weird for the sake of being random and weird.