Type keyword(s) to search

Super Social Analysis: Gender, Race, Ethnicity, and LGBT in Movies

• Start Topic

Why isn't Melissa McCarthy getting the same type of roles that John Candy or Chris Farley got? They were usually cast as likable people if they weren't always smart. She has been cast as a criminal in some of her movies and not likable in others. The trailers for The Boss don't inspire me to see the rest of the movie.

Am I the only person here who saw Spy? Okay, it's R rated but MM actually played a nice character. Hell, she baked for the office. But she also threw f-bombs back at Jason Statham for potentially ruining her case because of his ego. I liked that she still was a nice person at the end of it.

• Love 16

A lot of people I know have Spy as one of their favourite films of last year.  It definitely has its fan base.  The first time I saw it in theatres I loved it, the second time at home I found it practically unwatchable, but it was great for what it was.

I agree, she was not a crass character in the least, but a sweet one.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

Am I the only person here who saw Spy? Okay, it's R rated but MM actually played a nice character. Hell, she baked for the office. But she also threw f-bombs back at Jason Statham for potentially ruining her case because of his ego. I liked that she still was a nice person at the end of it.

Yeah I absolutely loved Spy, and especially thought it was a great character for Melissa to play.  She was a smart capable woman, who wasn't some foul mouthed bad ass, but wasn't a goofy ditz as well.  She was very smart, qualified, and a really nice person.

I guess I don't understand the complaint.  I don't think that she plays the same character, or I should say that I don't think she plays the same character anymore than a lot of actors do.  She also has been on two long running television shows where she played "nice and sweet", so the idea that there is no variety to her is just not true. 

• Love 7

Nerds of Color had an article about this in a rebuttal to Sorkin's comment. They listed: Keanu Reeves, The Rock, Lucy Liu, John Cho, and Sung Kang.

Slight issue here.

One of the most bankable stars in the world is Dwayne Johnson. There is actually scientific evidence that if you add The Rock to your movie, he will breathe new life into your stale ass franchise. Just look at what he did for G.I. Joe and Fast and the Furious. Not to mention the fact that his is the only upcoming DC movie I have any hope for. (If only they had cast Jason Momoa as Captain Marvel, though).

Now, granted, The Rock — who’s mother is Samoan — probably isn’t the number one choice to play a Wall Street exec who specializes in high frequency trading, but that wasn’t necessarily Sorkin’s problem, was it? If you believe an Asian American or Pacific Islander can’t top line a successful movie, then you must also believe that none of The Rock’s movies have been successful. Maybe Aaron Sorkin should just know his role and shut his mouth.

I like how they distinguish between Asian American and Pacific Islander, but it's negated by the fact that Dwayne Johnson and Jason Momoa are mentioned.  Both are of Pacific Islander descent; neither are Asian.  They should not be grouped in with other Asian actors, IMO.  Had the article been about diversity in general, I would have no issue.  But it's a distinction that not enough people make.

Edited by Demented Daisy

Hollywood has shown that they have the capability of elevating relative unknowns to A list status when the want to. How many people had heard of Tom Holland before he was announced as the new Spiderman?

So if casting directors feel a role calls for an Asian A lister, they just need to do their job.

• Love 9

I agree, the excuses are horseshit.  More of Max Landis's tantrum-ing, he's  echoing that there are no Asian A-Listers and also movies can only get made if they star a white person (Hahahahahhaahhahaha) .  He's also conveniently saying Don't blame him, blame the "system".  In other words don't hate the player, hate the game.

There are SO many movies out there that star A-Listers and still bomb.  It's already been proven that an A-Lister will not necessarily make a big movie.  Also how many times was the UNPROVEN Margot Robbie given a chance to have a co-lead role in a huge, big-budget film?  They could try that with a non-white person and see what happens.  Believe it or not there are Asian woman just as good-looking or charismatic as she is.

You can either have a “Ghost in the Shell” movie starring Johansson, Landis concluded, or no “Ghost in the Shell” movie at all.

Why not the second one?

I've read his defenses , I've read through his Twitter.  What he consistently ignores is that people don't want this particular movie with Scarlett being cast in the role.  He just says "The system is so broken and racist!  I hate it too!" but is obviously perpetuating it.

http://www.thewrap.com/max-landis-scarlett-johansson-casting-ghost-in-the-shell-broken-system/

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5

Tilda Swinton is not even close to being a star attraction. She has her fans, myself included, but that's primarily because arthouse/indie work. 

For an action/adventure pic, I really think Michelle Yeoh would have generated more excitement. 

• Love 4

And Tilda is such a chameleon that even though she was part of the ads for Trainwreck, most people had NO IDEA it was her in the role anyway.  It's like she was actively trying to negate what little star power she even has.

"White Actors!  You don't even need to know that it's us (and we'll still get cast)!"  Similar to Scarlett being changed to look Asian through CGI or whatever the hell they're doing with GITS, LOL.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
D-Piddy ‏@_dpiddy  3h3 hours ago
@mrattdaddario @EW @ElizabethBanks I didn't know Rita Repulsa was supposed to be a certain skin color.

I mean, sure, let's just ignore the fact that she's been played by an Asian woman in every live adaptation up until this point. It means nothing!
  • Love 2
You can either have a “Ghost in the Shell” movie starring Johansson, Landis concluded, or no “Ghost in the Shell” movie at all.

If it were the case that the financial backers balked at a movie with no "bankable" names, and Scarlett Johannson (who I like) was a concession that allowed them to cast Japanese actors in all the other roles, then maybe that's a trade-off worth making.  But it looks like this will be a movie set in Japan populated by characters with Japanese names played primarily by white actors, because that's what they're used to doing.

As for Rita Repulsa, casting an Asian actress would be a nod to the show's history, not the movie's story.  Since the rest of the cast has some diversity, I'd be willing to give them some leeway.  It would help if they were as diverse in the smaller roles as they are in the major roles.

The difference is, the casting of Rita Repulsa is worth noting but I don't feel a need to yell at anyone about it, while the whole handling of GitS strikes me as stupid, stupid, stupid.

• Love 1
Since the rest of the cast has some diversity, I'd be willing to give them some leeway.

Honestly, this reasoning came up the last time we (general p.tv "we," not you and I specifically lol) had this discussion and I wasn't on board with it then either. Hollywood has no problem making a movie with a mostly white cast, yet a cast with more than two or three (unrelated) Asians gives them the vapors? Please.  God forbid white people be left out of something for once. And it's not like white people would have been excluded entirely, since there's still a white guy in the Power Rangers.

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 4

Regarding the GITS stuff, I don't think it's a trade-off worth making at all, hence the extraordinary reaction to Scarlett being cast in GITS.  The people who are upset with it aren't just minorities who feel like Hollywood takes any chance to exclude them, though that is part of it.  And I'm seeing ALL DIFFERENT minorities reacting this way, BTW - not just Asian people.  It's also really passionate fans of GITS that probably wanted to spend their money on a great movie that honoured it.  

It's one of the first #AsianTwitter uprisings, I'd say it's a big deal.

Because imo, it will be the start of a bigger trend where white actors play Asians. The excuse of there being no A-list Asians, so white actors have to be cast, or the film will not be made. Is a circular argument that reinforces the status quo of no Asian actors being given opportunities.

So I believe Hollywood is deliberately setting the scene for this to become the norm.  

Plus Akira is the jewel in the manga crown. That movie has been in the works for decades, and Hollywood has been looking to whitewash it from day one. Emile Hirsch was being mooted when he did Speed Racer. Now I like Emile, but no. 

On the topic of Asian-American actors. Ki Hong Lee stars in Maze Runner, and is one of the bright spots of that movie. I'm curious to see what opportunities will come his way after this franchise, but I'm not hopeful. 

• Love 7
Plus Akira is the jewel in the manga crown. That movie has been in the works for decades, and Hollywood has been looking to whitewash it from day one. Emile Hirsch was being mooted when he did Speed Racer. Now I like Emile, but no. 

And Akira is even more 'Japanese' than Ghost in the Shell. They're going to keep trying though.

Hollywood has no problem making a movie with a mostly white cast

Which was why I mentioned looking at the smaller roles, too.  If they demonstrate an overall commitment to diversity, then I'm less invested in fighting over specific roles.

I don't think it's a trade-off worth making at all, hence the extraordinary reaction to Scarlett being cast in GITS

I think the reaction to her casting is in awareness that this isn't a trade-off being made (i.e. she's not the token white person).

Slight issue here.

I like how they distinguish between Asian American and Pacific Islander, but it's negated by the fact that Dwayne Johnson and Jason Momoa are mentioned.  Both are of Pacific Islander descent; neither are Asian.  They should not be grouped in with other Asian actors, IMO.  Had the article been about diversity in general, I would have no issue.  But it's a distinction that not enough people make.

Same with Cliff Curtis, who is Maori, not Asian.

• Love 1

In honour of Prince, watching Batman (1989).  Tim Burton cast Billy Dee Williams as Harvey Dent. Good thing Twitter didn't exist back then, for all the butthurts to complain about it.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

In honour of Prince, watching Batman (1989).  Tim Burton cast Billy Dee Williams as Harvey Dent. Good thing Twitter didn't exist back then, for all the butthurts to complain about it.

Of course then he got replaced by Tommy Lee Jones.

• Love 2

Does she? Or is she shrewdly towing the corporate line?

At this point, studios/producers/directors are aware of the issue of whitewashing so I can imagine a conversation along the lines of. . "OK Tilda, we would like you to know that we aren't asking you to play an Asian character! While the character was originally a martial arts master from Tibet, you will be playing a martial arts master who lives in a Tibetan looking monastery that is located in mountains that exist only in the Himalayas around Tibet who is decidedly not Asian!"

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/23/opinion/why-wont-hollywood-cast-asian-actors.html?mtrref=undefined&gwh=FB4ABE1A270067EF19EB7787C9D2BD7C&gwt=pay&assetType=opinion

I kept getting blocked from this b/c you have to pay?  So just in case you face that here's the article

The Opinion Pages | OP-ED CONTRIBUTOR

Why Won’t Hollywood Cast Asian Actors?
By KEITH CHOW

APRIL 22, 2016

HERE’S an understatement: It isn’t easy being an Asian-American actor in Hollywood. Despite some progress made on the small screen — thanks, “Fresh Off the Boat”! — a majority of roles that are offered to Asian-Americans are limited to stereotypes that wouldn’t look out of place in an ’80s John Hughes comedy.

This problem is even worse when roles that originated as Asian characters end up going to white actors. Unfortunately, these casting decisions are not a relic of Hollywood’s past, like Mickey Rooney’s portrayal of I. Y. Yunioshi in “Breakfast at Tiffany’s,” but continue right up to the present.

Last week Disney and Marvel Studios released the trailer for “Doctor Strange,” an adaptation of the Marvel comic. After exhausting every “white man finds enlightenment in the Orient” trope in less than two minutes, the trailer presents Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One, a Tibetan male mystic in the comics. Though her casting was no secret, there was something unsettling about the sight of Ms. Swinton’s clean-shaven head and “mystical” Asian garments. It recalled jarring memories of David Carradine from “Kung Fu,” the 1970s television series that, coincidentally, was itself a whitewashed version of a Bruce Lee concept.

A few days later, DreamWorks and Paramount provided a glimpse of Scarlett Johansson as the cyborg Motoko Kusanagi in their adaptation of the Japanese anime classic “Ghost in the Shell.” The image coincided with reports that producers considered using digital tools to make Ms. Johansson look more Asian — basically, yellowface for the digital age.

This one-two punch of white actors playing Asian characters showed how invisible Asian-Americans continue to be in Hollywood. (Not to be left out of the whitewashing news, Lionsgate also revealed the first images of Elizabeth Banks as Rita Repulsa, another originally Asian character, in its gritty “Power Rangers” reboot.)

Why is the erasure of Asians still an acceptable practice in Hollywood? It’s not that people don’t notice: Just last year, Emma Stone played a Chinese-Hawaiian character named Allison Ng in Cameron Crowe’s critically derided “Aloha.” While that film incited similar outrage (and tepid box office interest), no national conversation about racist casting policies took place.

Obviously, Asian-Americans are not the only victims of Hollywood’s continuing penchant for whitewashing. Films like “Pan” and “The Lone Ranger” featured white actors playing Native Americans, while “Gods of Egypt” and “Exodus: Gods and Kings” continue the long tradition of Caucasians playing Egyptians.

In all these cases, the filmmakers fall back on the same tired arguments. Often, they insist that movies with minorities in lead roles are gambles. When doing press for “Exodus,” the director Ridley Scott said: “I can’t mount a film of this budget" and announce that “my lead actor is Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such.”

When the screenwriter Max Landis took to YouTube to explain the “Ghost in the Shell” casting, he used a similar argument. “There are no A-list female Asian celebrities right now on an international level,” he said, admonishing viewers for “not understanding how the industry works.”

Mr. Landis’s argument closely tracks a statement by the screenwriter Aaron Sorkin. In a leaked email exchange with studio heads, he complained about the difficulty of adapting “Flash Boys,” Michael Lewis’s book about the Wall Street executive Bradley Katsuyama, because “there aren’t any Asian movie stars.”

Hollywood seems untroubled by these arguments. It’s not about race, they say; the only color they see is green: The reason Asian-American actors are not cast to front these films is because not any of them have a box office track record.

But they’re wrong. If minorities are box office risks, what accounts for the success of the “Fast and Furious” franchise, which presented a broadly diverse team, behind and in front of the camera? Over seven movies it has grossed nearly $4 billion worldwide. In fact, a recent study by the Ralph J. Bunche Center for African American Studies at the University of California, Los Angeles, found that films with diverse leads not only resulted in higher box office numbers but also higher returns of investment for studios and producers.

And Hollywood’s argument is circular: If Asian-Americans — and other minority actors more broadly — are not even allowed to be in a movie, how can they build the necessary box office clout in the first place? To make matters worse, instead of trying to use their lofty positions in the industry to push for change, Hollywood players like Mr. Landis and Mr. Sorkin take the easy, cynical path.

Every weekday, get thought-provoking commentary from Op-Ed columnists, The Times editorial board and contributing writers from around the world.

Even a modest hit like the “Harold and Kumar” trilogy, starring John Cho and Kal Penn, was able to quadruple its production budget after box office and home media sales. Meanwhile, films with white stars fail at the box office all the time. Chris Hemsworth, who stars in this weekend’s “Huntsman” sequel, has had many more box office flops than successes, yet he is considered a bankable movie star.

Such facts reveal Hollywood’s dirty little secret. Economics has nothing to do with racist casting policies. Films in which the leads have been whitewashed have all failed mightily at the box office. Inserting white leads had no demonstrable effect on the numbers. So why is that still conventional thinking in Hollywood?

For years, audiences have essentially boycotted these films, yet studios keep making them. Let’s hope Hollywood eventually listens.

Keith Chow is the founder of the pop culture website The Nerds of Color and an editor of the Asian-American comics anthologies “Secret Identities” and “Shattered.”

Follow The New York Times Opinion section on Facebook and Twitter, and sign up for the Opinion Today newsletter.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

Slight issue here.

Same with Cliff Curtis, who is Maori, not Asian.

There is also the unstated point that unless you have a DNA analysis  or family genealogy in front of you theyare  presented  as Black in Dwayne Johnson's case, and he would have been Black until very recently under America's single drop prejudice, Or any sort of South eastern European/Latino ethnic in Cliff Curtis, Jason Mamoa although his name gives a clue or Ben Kingsley's cases.

There has been discussion about The Rock, being the biggest star, with his seemingly white on screen children before Fast 7. When his parents were shown on Walking Tall a white actress and not a Samoan was cast

Tilda Swinton is not even close to being a star attraction. She has her fans, myself included, but that's primarily because arthouse/indie work. 

For an action/adventure pic, I really think Michelle Yeoh would have generated more excitement. 

Not to mention, "star attraction" really isn't a necessity for Marvel.  Chris Hemsworth and Chris Evans weren't huge names before Thor or Captain America, and those were for lead roles.  It's not like "Is the Ancient One a bankable enough star?" is going to be the deciding factor for people in whether or not to see the movie.

Ooh, Michelle Yeoh.  I'd been thinking about Maggie Q, but Michelle Yeoh would have been amazing too.

• Love 2

Yeah, the whole thing between Tibet and China I learned back in middle school. More than 65 years after the invasion of Tibet it's still one of the thorniest issues in world politics.

Edited by VCRTracking

You know, I was surprised when I found out that there were a lot of people who didn't realize Dwayne Johnson was Samoan and that he was principally thought of as a Black actor*. For me it was the other way around. Seems like I was always aware that he was from some famous Samoan wrestling family and that's always stuck in my head, even though IDGAF about wrestling.

* Some people were upset over his Moana casting for this reason. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 2

That explains why the don't call the location Tibet, but I don't see how that explains the whitewashing. They kept all of the elements of Orientalism (the Tibet like mountains, a monastery like building, Swinton's costume, mystic martial arts) that signal a fictional "Tibet" so casting Tilda Swinton does what?

(Although I suppose it's possible this Ancient One is a hippy chick who lives in the Colorado Rockies. Kind of like what they did with the Mandarin)

• Love 3

That explains why the don't call the location Tibet, but I don't see how that explains the whitewashing. They kept all of the elements of Orientalism (the Tibet like mountains, a monastery like building, Swinton's costume, mystic martial arts) that signal a fictional "Tibet" so casting Tilda Swinton does what?

(Although I suppose it's possible this Ancient One is a hippy chick who lives in the Colorado Rockies. Kind of like what they did with the Mandarin)

Exactly.  So the solution to this problem was to cast Tilda Swinton?  Talk about going so far in the other direction you lose your point.

I actually adore Tilda and was kind of excited to hear about her casting in the sense of:  Wow, she is such a great actress and a chameleon I can't wait to see how she looks.  IMO if they were going to go with Tilda, whitewashing aside, at least change the character up enough so that you aren't just "inserting white person" into the role.  That to me is just as insulting. Now your saying that our culture is good enough to appropriate but not our actual people. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Dammit man, I gave you a break because of the tough politics of the Tibet-China thing and then you had to undermine your whole position with the stupid "Social Justice Warriors" crack. Now I just lump you in with all the other right-wing MRA idiots.

Hasn't this guy heard of Zhang Yimou? His movies incorporate all of the elements that should have gone into this role. Mystical martial arts without resorting to stereotypes? Check? Casting Asian actors (male and female) as action film leads? Check. Beautiful locations? Check.

So all of the stuff that screenwriter agonized over is possible and has been done.

(Now I want to watch Hero. That movie is freakin' gorgeous.)

• Love 2

I will say I loved Cargill's reviews on AICN when he went under the name "Massawyrm" In his pan of "The Last Airbender" he berates director M Night Shyamalan for not getting what was great about the original series right:

Fans love this series with all their heart – and rightly so. It is their Robotech, a series written with adults in mind, but marketed to kids. And the fans are going to be howling mad at this film. Shyamalan gets everything but the look of it wrong. EVERYTHING. Not a single personality translates from the show to the film. Ang the Avatar is a 12 year old boy. Sure, he has the weight of humanity on his shoulders and a burden far too great for any one man to bear, but he’s still a kid. He has fun. He smiles and laughs. In fact in the early parts of the series, he refuses to take his responsibility seriously and instead spans the world, chasing exotic monsters to ride (against their will.) He’s the inventor of an air-sphere moped technique that he loves to scoot around on. He is a joyful boy given a job he’s not ready for – and the show is entirely about watching that boy slowly begin to understand what it is to be a man and what he needs to sacrifice to save his fellow man from destruction from the wrath of the Fire Lord. M. Night thinks instead that Ang is a mirthless, scared little boy with his mouth agape at the world around him, lacking emotion apart from fear. He has no joy, there is nothing aloof about him – in fact, M. Night never mentions one of the most important points of Ang’s storyline: that he is hopelessly in love with his travelling companion Kitara. Kitara is equally as bland. Soka is more of an angry, awkward teenage boy than the comic relief of the group. Even the villains are off base. Iro is more councilor and less brilliant Zen master. Zuko is more whiny than he is bitter and angry. And Aasif Mondvi as Commander Jao is simply ridiculous and not at all menacing. Worst of all, Cliff Curtis (a wonderful, underappreciated actor) gets the thankless role of playing the Fire Lord himself…who appears on screen repeatedly. For those of you unfamiliar with the show, that would be like readapting STAR WARS: A NEW HOPE and writing several scenes of Vader conferring with the Emperor to speed up exposition, while simultaneously casting the Daily Show’s John Oliver as Darth Vader.

• Love 2
On 4/27/2016 at 9:50 AM, AimingforYoko said:

Dammit man, I gave you a break because of the tough politics of the Tibet-China thing and then you had to undermine your whole position with the stupid "Social Justice Warriors" crack. Now I just lump you in with all the other right-wing MRA idiots.

Have to agree with you there.

And about this:

Cargill explains his biggest frustration is hearing people suggest potential Chinese actresses like Michelle Yeoh for the role, arguing, “If you are telling me it’s a good idea to cast a Chinese actress as a Tibetan character, you are out of your damn fool mind and have no idea what the fuck you’re talking about.”

I should point out that Michelle Yeoh is actually Malaysian and she seemed to make it through the Memoirs of a Geisha casting controversy OK.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Ghostbusters drama.

Vulture :  Why the #Ghostbusters trailer is the most-hated movie trailer on YouTube: http://vult.re/1Uoc6k1

I literally can't deal with this sexist shit anymore. Between this and the completely unjustified vitriol Emily VanCamp has been getting for daring to play the love interest of Captain America, sinking the oh-so beloved Stucky ship, I officially hate the Internet.

• Love 9