Type keyword(s) to search

Gimme That Old Time Religion

• Start Topic

Don't forget the Apocalyptic guy in Japan who committed the attack on the Tokyo subway.

If ONLY more apocalyptic groups were like the Shakers and the Harmonists, building huge amounts of wealth for people to fight over after the last converts have died! ;)

• Love 1

I asked a missionary from a conservative evangelical church why she went to Central America to make converts when they were already Catholic. She said, and I believe her, that -- at least where she went -- the Catholic Church was not caring for the people,, neither spiritually nor for human physical needs. I'm no expert and wouldn't diss the Catholic Church, but I believe this is culturally true in some parts of Central America.

I wonder if she thinks any religion/church is taking care of the American people's needs?

• Love 3

There are quite a few that do. But just as some people feel they work better in a global and international setting in the secular world (my husband is such a person) there are those who feel that way spiritually. It's an apples to oranges skill set.

(edited)

Don't forget the Apocalyptic guy in Japan who committed the attack on the Tokyo subway.

If ONLY more apocalyptic groups were like the Shakers and the Harmonists, building huge amounts of wealth for people to fight over after the last converts have died! ;)

And the Shakers and the Harmonists left an appealing memory causing many of us to visit again and again. I go because it reminds me of the beauty of the gift of simplicity and peaceful community living. Each gives me a chance to focus upon a single facet of my Christian faith. Living in Indiana I am close to Shaker Village in KY and New Harmony, Indiana. Perhaps God had a purpose for each of these movements -- though not the one they anticipated. I do not anticipate the time will come when people of many faiths visit Gothard Headquarters for spiritual renewal. 

Edited by mbutterfly
  • Love 2

I wonder if she thinks any religion/church is taking care of the American people's needs?

Yes, she and her husband and their daughter -- who is my good friend -- did mission in the U.S. Also the daughter taught school with me and she often began specific projects among the faculty -- not officially faith-based -- to help poor students in our school. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Father Michael Pfleger (famous activist priest in Chicago) has a message for the Duggars:

Father Michael Pfleger
1 hr ·
Last Friday the Supreme Court voted to make Gay Marriage legal in America....Now different Faiths have every right to disagree and defend their Doctrine of what they believe about Marriage....But NO ONE has the right to be Hateful, Mean, Judgmental and involved in name calling and sentencing people to hell in the name of your religion....It amazes me that people who claim to be defending the Faith they believe, look nothing like the GOD They say they representing while the display their mean spirit....Perhaps you need to revisit John 3:16 God So Loved the WORLD........not just you and your religious beliefs....
Like · Comment ·

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 16

And the Shakers and the Harmonists left an appealing memory causing many of us to visit again and again. I go because it reminds me of the beauty of the gift of simplicity and peaceful community living. Each gives me a chance to focus upon a single facet of my Christian faith. Living in Indiana I am close to Shaker Village in KY and New Harmony, Indiana. Perhaps God had a purpose for each of these movements -- though not the one they anticipated. I do not anticipate the time will come when people of many faiths visit Gothard Headquarters for spiritual renewal.

I grew up near the two Harmonists sites in Western Pa and know them very well! I have quite a collection of papers from their order and it's one of my pet topics.

And no, I can't see someone caring about Gothard in 200 years. Although George Rapp DID have an issue with a young woman....it does seem as if they all do, alas.

• Love 2

. But they do! No kidding, when I was younger I worked at the SBC "Home Mission Board" and we had missionaries all over the U.S. and foreign countries. Two of the missionaries that were under my director of missions were in the very worst scary neighborhood ever (within the U.S.) and they LIVED there with their 2 small children. We worried for their safety ALL THE TIME. They provided after school care and did activities with the youth in that neighborhood, ran a shelter at night, soup kitchens, clothing redirection, crisis prevention. There are lots of SBC missionaries in similar situations all over the U.S. There are SBC missionaries in Appalachia and the Ozarks. The positions aren't designed to put the missionaries in safe havens within walled compounds, neither are they designed so that the missionary can stand on a stump and preach loudly. They are designed so that the missionaries can get in the heart of the problem areas and offer whatever they can to make someone's (one life or many lives) better. SBC churches have a fund called the "cooperative program", and the individual churches are requested to send 10% at least of their annual budget. Not "required" (they aren't kicked out if they can't pay it), but needed and requested. Some never can quite let go of the CP money, many large churches send more. Through the cooperative program, missionaries are funded. It's not enough, and many times a home church will privately fund missionaries who left from there. And of course, their families are likely to send whatever they can. There are other branches of missions (Chaplaincy, for example) whereby a hospital or the military or a prison will pay a salary for the work. Their hours are set (give or take) and they are able to purchase homes and raise families normally. Missionaries...not so much. The SBC doesn't encourage missionaries at all to go fund-hunting. [That wasn't part of your question, Dangerous, just free information]. It's not generally a pretty job and they surely don't go there for the benefits (although the retirement plan is pretty good!). I'm not sure why SBC doesn't toot it's horn and make it more widely known that we have people out in the heart of America, but they really are out there. And I feel badly for them (I do! I can't help it!) that - knowing what they do - there is such a bad perception of them. I DO understand the concept that the missionaries are showing up when the people are "down", and this may make them more vulnerable to being talked to about Jesus. I get that. But I think the good they do is there regardless whether anyone actually listens or whether they're just there for the soup. There really is good being done on a daily basis, not just by the SBC, but many many religious organizations. Truly, there is!
  • Love 6

My point of view is I don't criticize groups who do work I personally don't want to do, even if their beliefs are not my own. (And not only Christians evangelize, even in the States.) If you think that government help is the only answer, and doesn't come with at least some strings and issues of its own, then I will only politely suggest that perhaps you've never been on the receiving end of it and leave it at that, except to say government cheese really IS good! Better than most you can buy in the store until you get to far more expensive brands! :)

• Love 2

I know the shakers left some covetous furniture. I wish I kinda wish I knew more.
  • Love 1

I only started studying the Shakers about ten years ago, and my collection isn't as big as my Harmonists. But I've been to multiple villages (including the one in Maine where the last one or two are living.)

I'm fascinated by cults and charismatic (using the term in both senses of the word) religious offshoots of mainstream Christianity. In some ways, Gothard is downright boring in comparison to what came before him.

• Love 1

My point of view is I don't criticize groups who do work I personally don't want to do, even if their beliefs are not my own. (And not only Christians evangelize, even in the States.) If you think that government help is the only answer, and doesn't come with at least some strings and issues of its own, then I will only politely suggest that perhaps you've never been on the receiving end of it and leave it at that, except to say government cheese really IS good! Better than most you can buy in the store until you get to far more expensive brands! :)

I personally feel extremely uncomfortable when religion or ideology is mixed into any service that is provided. I completely understand the value that these people are providing, and I completely appreciate that they truly feel that they are doing "good", but I still do not like that it comes with any sort of strings at all (even if they are only passively bringing their religion to the people by waiting to be asked). If the same people went with a group that was not affiliated with a church and went to provide assistance to the local community, I wouldn't have an issue. They can have their own personal beliefs, but when they are in any way related to the service they provide, I do not like it. 

With the Duggars, I feel this to the nth degree. It is extremely tacky how they arrive at some foreign place, continually point out how different it is from their home, push their religion onto the local people, and provide less-than-stellar services in return. It really turns my stomach and I feel that they are taking advantage of a vulnerable population.

• Love 17

I only started studying the Shakers about ten years ago, and my collection isn't as big as my Harmonists. But I've been to multiple villages (including the one in Maine where the last one or two are living.)

I'm fascinated by cults and charismatic (using the term in both senses of the word) religious offshoots of mainstream Christianity. In some ways, Gothard is downright boring in comparison to what came before him.

Ha! You'd get along good with my husband , GEML. He's fascinated by cults & charismania too. He'll flip on the boob tube and stop on a religious channel and listen to Duplantis, Dollar, Hinn, etc., and I'll be rolling my eyes and pleading with him to change it bc it just makes my skin crawl. He's equally turned off but strangely interested.

I've only been to one Shaker village, and they were an interesting cult. Have you ever been to the one in Pleasant Hill?

It's lovely and really peaceful. We've stayed overnight and also brought out of town guests to visit bc it's within a few hours of us. http://shakervillageky.org

• Love 2

I've not been to the KY village - it's the only one, I think, you can stay in over night.

And I miss the religious shows over here in Ireland. We get a few, but not the "good" ones that showcase the real wackos. Just mostly the serious ones. Those are boring! ;)

• Love 1
(edited)

I've not been to the KY village - it's the only one, I think, you can stay in over night.

And I miss the religious shows over here in Ireland. We get a few, but not the "good" ones that showcase the real wackos. Just mostly the serious ones. Those are boring! ;)

Joyce Meyer's face became pretty wacko. I block about 3 religious channels on Foxtel, when I was in America I was appalled to see like ten religious channel on DirectTv or whatever. They seems to have a creepy obsession with Israel, and the Jews (only) in Israel. Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 1

Lol, that's funny!

Their restaurant has the best food too, and freakin' good buttermilk pie.

I'll say there are a lot of religious channels!  And lest you think Josh can't come back, please remember that Jimmy Swaggert is back on every day in a prime channel spot, right between CBS and NBC on Dish.  Ditto Tammy Fay's ex, and many others.  Pat Robertson holds so many foolish comments cards and yet he's still on daily as well.  

• Love 3
(edited)

Some years ago I saw reruns of Bishop Sheen's show from maybe the 1950s.  Poor quality video at this point, but his shows were short (good), and had a little humor.  Then before I moved to Sacramento there was a guy on we called god because he was on 24/7.  Drawled on and on about original greek or hebrew and phillipians and used a chalkboard with arrows.  Wanted money but freely said it was NOT deductible.  You shouldn't give because it was deductible but because you learned something.  He made a lot of money.  When I came back I looked for him again (Gene Scott) and didn't see him but did see the same spiel and the same chalkboard, and it looks like his daughter now has the job.  Don't know if Gene ascended into heaven or what.

Edited by Micks Picks

Micks Picks, it's like you opened up a time capsule.  Dr. Eugene Scott (he shortened it to Gene sometimes) was on all the time.  For $500 he could "guarantee you a spot at the right hand of the lord".  He seemed to become crazier with each passing year.  You could measure his craziness by the incomprehensibility of chalkboard drawing.  I especially enjoyed him during his heavy cigar smoking years. Good times!  Unfortunately for the Duggars, they would have a hard time following in his tradition; you need real imagination to reach that level of crazy.  

• Love 2

When I was a young adult, Ernest Angley was all the rage for entertainment TV. Oh, how I loved me some Ernest Angley! I just googled him, and apparently he's still kicking (he's 93!!!). He doesn't just have a toupee, this man has a football helmet sized rug. He's sort of a duggarish version of Benny Hinn. My husband was MORTIFIED when I would break into Ernest Angley. (He thought Angley was full of hot air too, but was terrified to poke fun at anyone...just in case...)

(edited)

Those names are foreign to me, but Oral Roberts comes to mind. I think it was the late 80's/early 90's that he threatened the viewers that he wouldn't come out the prayer tower (a Space Needle looking type thing on the Campus of ORU) & that the Lord would take him home if he didn't raise a million or more dollars. Lol, I don't think he met his goal, yet the Lord let him live.

ETA: My memory's foggy. It was 8 million dollars, and Oral raised 9 million. It was 1987, the same year that the sexploits of Jimmy Swaggart and Jim Bakker came out. http://content.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1677098,00.html

Edited by msblossom

When I was a young adult, Ernest Angley was all the rage for entertainment TV. Oh, how I loved me some Ernest Angley! I just googled him, and apparently he's still kicking (he's 93!!!). He doesn't just have a toupee, this man has a football helmet sized rug. He's sort of a duggarish version of Benny Hinn. My husband was MORTIFIED when I would break into Ernest Angley. (He thought Angley was full of hot air too, but was terrified to poke fun at anyone...just in case...)

Ern'st ENNNNNGley is another one who's had scandals recently -- but he had to reach his 90s for this stuff to come out, and nobody seems to have noticed outside of Northeast Ohio. He always kind of looks to me like he could be another Gothard brother.   

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/ernest-angley-s-grace-cathedral-rocked-by-accusations-involving-abortions-and-vasectomies-1.531094

• Love 1

Micks Picks, it's like you opened up a time capsule.  Dr. Eugene Scott (he shortened it to Gene sometimes) was on all the time.  For $500 he could "guarantee you a spot at the right hand of the lord".  He seemed to become crazier with each passing year.  You could measure his craziness by the incomprehensibility of chalkboard drawing.  I especially enjoyed him during his heavy cigar smoking years. Good times!  Unfortunately for the Duggars, they would have a hard time following in his tradition; you need real imagination to reach that level of crazy.  

I remember the days when he used to rant and rave wearing a black biker's jacket. That was some great teevee! What floored me was when I found out that he was Rebecca DeMornay's father. Yikes!  As wacko as the Duggars' religious cult is, Gene Scott had them beat by a country mile. 

I got sucked in by a Swaggart revival from the 80s over the weekend. It was true trainwreck stuff. His grandson, Gabriel, was paraded onstage saying he wanted to be a preacher. Lo and behold, grown up Gabriel hosted the next show, which was assorted music from recent services at Swaggart's church. Ole Jimmy even performed. I thought of the Duggars, realizing that this form of church would be completely foreign to them. In a world where Swaggart's service is considered almost "normal" when compared to the gloom, doom, and musical dirges of the Duggars' homechurch, something is insanely wrong. 

• Love 1

From the article on Ernest Angley referenced by Churchhoney above.

"I’ve helped so many of the boys down through the years,” he said in his slow, singsong cadence. “They had their misgivings. Sure, I’d have them uncover themselves, but I did not handle them at all.

“And I would tell them how that would work. And they’d have to watch it. I’d have some of them come back to me that I felt needed to. And I would tell them, I would look at them, their privates — I, so I could tell how they were swelling."

Are you KIDDING ME????? Who follows such a creepy man? I am so ICKED OUT by that!!! Trying completely unsuccessfully) to think of a time E.V.E.R. i would have been inclined to let a pastor examine my parts. How could this POSSIBLY be okay with anybody??? So much weirdness.

Is it isolation? Mainly yes, I think - otherwise, the Duggars would see and know how oddly they talk sometimes, how they repeat the same things. Why it was "normal" for so many years to dress alike looking like a row of ducklings. Deciding that molestation by a brother wasn't that big a deal. I mean... Is it just my exposure to the world in general that makes me know what is acceptable and what isn't? When the same person who is your father is your pastor, your guidance counselor, your priest at confession, your provider, it's probably pretty easy to follow Daddy Duck. But HOW DOES a man like Ernest Aaaangley, or Oral Roberts manage to keep their "flock" in order when, in daily life, they are part of a bigger, broader world?

Back to Ernest for a moment - I remember watching him once, asking for money. He was standing in a sea of dry ice, floating like a cloud around his feet. White suit. Black toupee. The background was medium blue, with "stars" interspersed. He was literally rubbing his hands together as he said, "send me your tithes and offerings, Brethren..." He looked like satan to me.

• Love 3

"HEEEEEEE-AL" (with a big old smack to the head)

There I feel better now. Haven't been around a group that would appreciate a good "heal" and a smack in a while. That used to crack me and my ex up big time. Who was that, Bennie something?

• Love 5

Back to Ernest for a moment - I remember watching him once, asking for money. He was standing in a sea of dry ice, floating like a cloud around his feet. White suit. Black toupee. The background was medium blue, with "stars" interspersed. He was literally rubbing his hands together as he said, "send me your tithes and offerings, Brethren..." He looked like satan to me.

Me, too. Satan exactly. EA and some others, including Jim Bob, in fact, creep me out so much just on video that I can't get my head around people's ability to be near them in real life and not be sickened, honestly.

• Love 2

Robin Williams did a great bit on Earnest Angley...I think it's on "Reality, What a Concept". You might be able to find it on youtube. (not certain about links here yet, so I'm not going to try to link it, but if anyone wants it, and I can find it, I'll happily share it). 

• Love 3
(edited)

You all are making me homesick!

Whereas I'm so jealous that you're in Ireland! I would happily give up the availability of wacko televangelists, lol. This is a fun topic though. I have no idea what their names were, but does anyone else remember the husband/wife team from the 90s where the woman had almost literally sky high hair and the biggest false eyelashes imaginable? I think her name was Jan. They were so bizarre. Even though I grew up fundy, we knew they were charlatans, especially because my denomination was the opposite of the charismatic/faith healing variety that tends to be on TV. But I remember her doing a segment once where she was reading viewer letters out loud and she read one from a poor little girl who was describing her terrible home situation, alcoholic parents, abuse, etc., basically a cry for help.

I'll never forget Jan's response: "Isn't that just precious." Then she put the letter in a pile and went on to the next one. No talk of notifying authorities and getting this girl help, not even talk of pointless prayers. It struck me how absolutely unfeeling and fake she was.

Edited by becca3891
  • Love 2

Robin Williams did a great bit on Earnest Angley...I think it's on "Reality, What a Concept". You might be able to find it on youtube. (not certain about links here yet, so I'm not going to try to link it, but if anyone wants it, and I can find it, I'll happily share it). 

Oh, my gosh. I do have a memory flash of RW saying Ernnst EEAAANNNGLEY! And it was perfect. Can't remember any of the rest of it though, but I'm sure it was perfect, too. I'm gonna look on youtube. Thanks for mentioning this.

One of my earliest memories is Kathryn Kuhlman, the acclaimed faith healer. She wore Liberace worthy sequined outfits, and paraded on stage to her background song, "I believe in miracles" (which I can sing to this day.). I still remember groups of people in WV and Western PA getting together to arrange car rides to go and see her live in Pittsburgh.

(edited)

Can somebody confirm this for me,my friend swears there was an episode in which the Duggars attended a gospel church?The kids were disrespectfull and covered their ears?

I believe it's a fairly recent episode, where Josh and Anna go to DC or are about to go to DC and then they all attended a DC church? an Arkansas church?  (dunno -- a Restoration Church, maybe?) I don't watch the show, so I don't know what they did, but I remember a lot of talk about how many of the kids had really shocked looks on their faces when the music was going on and some may have plugged their ears. I believe that the talk was not about toddlers but about the older kids as well, but, as I say, I've never seen it. If you're not allowed to sway momentarily with music playing in a thrift store, I'm sure that music with a beat in a church comes as quite a surprise.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 1
(edited)

Can somebody confirm this for me,my friend swears there was an episode in which the Duggars attended a gospel church?The kids were disrespectfull and covered their ears?

It was the M kid gender reveal number 3, I think. This was during the black 'friend' fitness trainer gets Josh and Jim Bob in shape season. Only the fitness guy knew the results of the ultrasound, and the church was linked to him. Edited by Kokapetl

Whereas I'm so jealous that you're in Ireland! I would happily give up the availability of wacko televangelists, lol. This is a fun topic though. I have no idea what their names were, but does anyone else remember the husband/wife team from the 90s where the woman had almost literally sky high hair and the biggest false eyelashes imaginable? I think her name was Jan. They were so bizarre. Even though I grew up fundy, we knew they were charlatans, especially because my denomination was the opposite of the charismatic/faith healing variety that tends to be on TV. But I remember her doing a segment once where she was reading viewer letters out loud and she read one from a poor little girl who was describing her terrible home situation, alcoholic parents, abuse, etc., basically a cry for help.

I'll never forget Jan's response: "Isn't that just precious." Then she put the letter in a pile and went on to the next one. No talk of notifying authorities and getting this girl help, not even talk of pointless prayers. It struck me how absolutely unfeeling and fake she was.

Are you thinking of Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker?

loved me some Ernest Angley! I just googled him, and apparently he's still kicking (he's 93!!!). He doesn't just have a toupee, this man has a football helmet sized rug. He's sort of a duggarish version of Benny Hinn. My husband was MORTIFIED when I would break into Ernest Angley. (He thought Angley was full of hot air too, but was terrified to poke fun at anyone...just in case...)

I'm sorry Happyfatchick, I had to comment. I read this as a duggarish version of Benny Hill and just couldn't imagine exactly what he was preaching. Sadly I reread it. Wonder what a duggarish version of Benny Hill would look like though.

• Love 2

I've never seen an actual televangelist, so when I read about them I just picture Melvin P. Thorpe from The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas.

Knowing the Duggars have met Dolly Parton, could you imagine them watching that movie. Heh.

• Love 1

I remember that Jan woman too. And I do believe her husband was Paul. They haven't been off the air for too long, I don't think. (Are they still on?). My favorite FAVORITE thing about Jan: the PROM DRESSES!!!!! This woman was 80, maybe older, with the stacked glued hair, the makeup with the false eyelashes... And fluffy, full length,ruffled prom gowns. And thought she was LOVELY sweeping around the set. Just incredible. When I was channel surfing and would flip thru that, I'd always back up and say, OOOOOOOOOOOH NOOOOOOOOOOO, she didn't. But oh YES, she did.

• Love 2

As a kid growing up in the Midwest in the 50's, I watched a lot of these religious programs. I remember Bishop Sheen because he wore his impressive bishop's outfit and didn't yell like the evangelicals. I also remember Oral Roberts (I think it was) with his laying on hands healing portion of the show. That was my favorite, seeing him invoke God to heal the selected sick and then those people walking away without their migraines, cancers, lung disease, chronic pain. Nobody with missing limbs or visible disfigurement was ever chosen for "healing," of course, but a crutch or two was cast aside. Quite dramatic.

• Love 1

I'm Catholic, so I'm predisposed to like Bishop Sheen, but I sometimes listen to his old talks. No yelling, no smacking people in the forehead - it's all very Mr. Rodgers Neighborhood in comparison with some of the others.

The 80s women were the best. I still can't believe all that sequins and eyeshadow.

• Love 4

There was a preacher we would watch (and mimic) in the Midwest in the 80s.  When "healing", he would yell "In the name of BAAAAAAAAYby Jesus!" and then he would smack the person in the head.  Basically he palm punched them right between the eyes, causing a frontal lobe concussion.  The people would always fall backwards.  At almost every party, someone would get drunk and start yelling "In the name of baby Jesus!"  

• Love 5
(edited)

I remember that Jan woman too. And I do believe her husband was Paul. They haven't been off the air for too long, I don't think. (Are they still on?). My favorite FAVORITE thing about Jan: the PROM DRESSES!!!!! This woman was 80, maybe older, with the stacked glued hair, the makeup with the false eyelashes... And fluffy, full length,ruffled prom gowns. And thought she was LOVELY sweeping around the set. Just incredible. When I was channel surfing and would flip thru that, I'd always back up and say, OOOOOOOOOOOH NOOOOOOOOOOO, she didn't. But oh YES, she did.

Yes, Paul & Jan Crouch. Lol, they were in their 50's & 60's during their TBN heyday back in the 90's and early 00's. I remember watching almost 20 years ago and her son was joking around and tried to pull Jan's wig off. That was hysterical!

And she had the most annoying baby voice -- way worse than Michelle's.

Paul died a few years back, I think, and Jan isn't even 80 yet, probably more like 75. Here's a photo from probably 10/15 years ago. http://i.imgur.com/XOoXKGx.jpg

Edited by msblossom
(edited)

Yes, Paul & Jan Crouch. Lol, they were in their 50's & 60's during their TBN heyday back in the 90's and early 00's. I remember watching almost 20 years ago and her son was joking around and tried to pull Jan's wig off. That was hysterical!

And she had the most annoying baby voice -- way worse than Michelle's.

Paul died a few years back, I think, and Jan isn't even 80 yet, probably more like 75. Here's a photo from probably 10/15 years ago. http://i.imgur.com/XOoXKGx.jpg

I've never seen her show, but she's memorable from just the images of her. She's like a pink haired Dolly Parton crossed with Little Bo Peep. She looks like she uses entire bottles of mascara each day.

The "best" we ever got in Australia, on broadcast TV, was Creflo A Dollar in his fancy suit, and 'poor man's Dr Phil' Joyce Meyer's ramblings. They had to pay for those 2 am airtimes, and various ab machines and blender infomercials seem to have since outpriced them.

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 1

It's likely Paul and Jan Crouch.

Yes, it was Paul and Jan Crouch. I had actually tried to edit my comment last night after I found out who they were, but the site seemed to be down. No big surprise to learn that they stole a bunch of donated money for their mansions and private jets.

• Love 1
(edited)

He's fascinated by cults & charismania too. He'll flip on the boob tube and stop on a religious channel and listen to Duplantis, Dollar, Hinn, etc., and I'll be rolling my eyes and pleading with him to change it bc it just makes my skin crawl. He's equally turned off but strangely interested.

Hey, I grew up in this movement. Talk about the crazies coming out of the woodwork! If you want to get me hostile and ranting just bring up charismania and the nuts who follow it and preach it. It took me years and a lot of hard work to purge this sickness out of my system.

Someone wondered when bling became associated with godliness. I can tell you why. Charismatics and particularly word of faith people (confessing yourself into prosperity) believe it represents your "success" as a christian, that God is blessing you and increasing your prosperity, that you're in God's will, in alignment with Him. The implication--and it's sometimes it's stated out loud-- is if you're sick-poor-struggling you're out of God's will. Grrrrrrr.

It really shocked me that the Duggars aren't charismatics. Truly, they're sane and moderate compared to charismatics.

Edited by bubbls
  • Love 6