Type keyword(s) to search

DCC Q&A: Mysteries of the DCC World

• Start Topic

Shelly, what is your thought to why some of the girls have so much trouble with weight in training camp? It seems that with the amount of hours of rehearsals going on, the weight would just fall off and instead of going up. 

I think some struggle with eating at the wrong time, myself included. Long hours of rehearsal equals tons of burned calories. But you are also famished after practice and it's late, so the easiest thing to eat is usually the first choice. Also during stressful times, people will eat for comfort. Girls have to discipline themselves and learn what are the best foods for them to eat.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, ShellyB said:

I'm sure Judy will utilize Jennifer throughout the season...she's talented, motivating and organized. Would be sad to see her walk away completely. 

Not really sure why she has her twitter handle still. Maybe she just can't let it go? #twitterenvy

LOL!  Awesome response Shelly!  And so true!  Thanks!

• Love 1

On the subject of the girls dcc twitter handles, how does that work? Are those the ones that are "given" out by DCC which are linked to DCC (eg dcc emails etc?) and if they retire do they get to "keep" the handle by changing it or do you guys suspend it (if that made sense)?

Asking because I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but I remember when a certain 7 year vet (naming no names ...... Sydney) went to DMD her DMD twitter handle was "joined in 2012" which ofc I am assuming must have been either her on "personal" account or old DCC twitter account that was deactivated.  (And also asked because of Kelseys still being "dcc kelsey". Athough Courtney Cook insta handle is dcc courtney!!! So maybe shes another one that "cant let go" of the dcc handle)

3 hours ago, Dcc fan said:

On the subject of the girls dcc twitter handles, how does that work? Are those the ones that are "given" out by DCC which are linked to DCC (eg dcc emails etc?) and if they retire do they get to "keep" the handle by changing it or do you guys suspend it (if that made sense)?

Asking because I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but I remember when a certain 7 year vet (naming no names ...... Sydney) went to DMD her DMD twitter handle was "joined in 2012" which ofc I am assuming must have been either her on "personal" account or old DCC twitter account that was deactivated.  (And also asked because of Kelseys still being "dcc kelsey". Athough Courtney Cook insta handle is dcc courtney!!! So maybe shes another one that "cant let go" of the dcc handle)

Seems like when they cut returning vets  @ finals their Twitter handle changes within minutes. 

When Sydney retired, she changed her Twitter handle to @SydneyDurso. The DMD take on a former DMD account when they make the team. It is completely separate from their personal Twitter/Instagram accounts.

• Useful 1

I see got you no idea why I thought their whole twitter account gets "suspended". Maybe because I seem to see some (eg DCC) account who gets quoted in pics etc and when you click on it it says the account is suspended. But then other (pics/non pic quotes) will have that (original or seem original) DCC's with that account "new twitter handle" (if that made any sense)

18 hours ago, MrsEVH said:

Seems like when they cut returning vets  @ finals their Twitter handle changes within minutes. 

No idea why Sydney's @sydneydurso account was her personal account that she created years ago but her DMD account was her old DCC account.

8 hours ago, OhHappyDay said:

When Sydney retired, she changed her Twitter handle to @SydneyDurso. The DMD take on a former DMD account when they make the team. It is completely separate from their personal Twitter/Instagram accounts.

(tho looking at the dcc handles I used to see Cassie has like "a million" dcc twitter accounts, including one that seems like a really old account that she used to post on - must have been her personal one, I figured - years ago then she only posts on her current account, which I assumed was the account she had when she was a DCC and now uses "officially")

I did notice some accounts that says "DCCAS" are those offical AS accounts that was made years ago? Seems like only a few which was created in May 2012 (except Ally's which was created in Jan 2012). I wonder what that was about!!!) Thought the AS's uses their own "personal/former" DCC accounts.

@ShellyB, if a previous cheerleader gets cut at auditions and then returns the following year and makes it back to Training Camp, would she be in camp as a rookie TCC again or would she be in as a veteran? I always wondered that but it seems that those who come back again always get cut before TC. 

I think it would depend on whether she had completed one or more seasons as a DCC. If, say, Mandy got cut at auditions this year and auditioned again next year, I think she'd be considered a veteran candidate because she had completed her rookie season in good standing.

• Love 1

That's interesting, I always thought it was the other way around. A candidate who left on her own accord would come back as a veteran, while a candidate who was cut would come back as a rookie. So if say Mandy decided to skip a year and reaudition next year, she would be a veteran. If she got cut at auditions, she would come back a rookie I have heard some say that in either case they would be a rookie. Would be nice to have a definitive answer, although it just seems like they aren't interested in bringing back cut veterans. 

Yes but it's because she slipped below the standards of the organization and thus has to prove herself again. If it weren't as serious they wouldn't have to repeat the first and second rounds of auditions. Gosh the first round is THE worse. 

If I remember correctly, there was a vet who took off a year and came back to try out again in Season 3. I think someone said she would have been a rookie if she made the team again because she took off a year. I think a girl is considered a veteran if she has a whole year under her belt and tries out again and makes the team the next season. If she is cut or leaves and comes back again, she is considered a rookie/TC candidate.

8 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

If I remember correctly, there was a vet who took off a year and came back to try out again in Season 3. I think someone said she would have been a rookie if she made the team again because she took off a year. I think a girl is considered a veteran if she has a whole year under her belt and tries out again and makes the team the next season. If she is cut or leaves and comes back again, she is considered a rookie/TC candidate.

It was Carrie Stillwell Griffiths (rookie- season 1) and Kristin Hager (rookie-season1) both tried out again. Carrie took a year of and got married; not sure if Kirstin did the same. I thought someone here said Kristin auditioned in season 2 but it wasn't shown.

4 minutes ago, MrsEVH said:

It was Carrie Stillwell Griffiths (rookie- season 1) and Kristin Hager (rookie-season1) both tried out again. Carrie took a year of and got married; not sure if Kirstin did the same. I thought someone here said Kristin auditioned in season 2 but it wasn't shown.

Kristen Hager was cut in season 2. All they showed was her sitting in the crowd not getting called and then looking sad when all the names had been announced.

3 hours ago, sleepyjean said:

Was Whitney Ott called a rookie when she came back?

I remember a scene during the 2 hour special when Kelli and Judy are chewing out the veterans in the locker room and Whitney was included. 

• Love 2

It might of been Whitney O....but if I remember correctly, whoever it was took a year off (might of been health/medical related) and during the audition process was considered a rookie/TC candidate, but once she made it back to TC, she was called a vet  

Edited by GaveIn
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, GaveIn said:

It might of been Whitney O....but if I remember correctly, whoever it was took a year off (might of been health/medical related) and during the audition process was considered a rookie/TC candidate, but once she made it back to TC, she was called a vet  

Didn't she take time off to have her daughter?

• Love 2

I haven't heard any chatter from Courtney about auditioning, haven't seen her post any dance videos either. That doesn't mean she isn't dancing though.

I don't think Caila would come back as a rookie since she has had a veteran season already.  I don't know for sure but I think you are only still a rookie if you didn't complete a veteran years.  For instance, had Jenna Allison made it back to training camp last summer she would be considered a rookie, because she got cut after her rookie season, or this year Kat, but Caila would return as veteran.

Jenna Allison and Kat both finished a complete year as a DCC, so they would be considered a one year veteran. Chelsea was cut during TC after her first complete year, so she probably is considered a one year veteran, not a one year rookie.

On 4/18/2017 at 7:33 PM, Teresa said:

@ShellyB, if a previous cheerleader gets cut at auditions and then returns the following year and makes it back to Training Camp, would she be in camp as a rookie TCC again or would she be in as a veteran? I always wondered that but it seems that those who come back again always get cut before TC. 

If a DCC is cut at finals and then returns for a different season, they pick up where they left off.

i.e. If a 3rd year vet is cut at finals, but returns a year or more later and makes the team, she is a 4th year veteran. The only thing that changes is that she must start at prelims. Up until the late 90s, returning vets started at semi's. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Once a DCC completes her year, receives a ring, etc., any year after that,  whether consecutive or time off in between for any reason....she is a veteran. 

8 hours ago, tobeyoungagain said:

Is Courtney (the girl that Kelli said she wishes would try out again) planning on trying out?  @ShellyB is it common for K+J to reach out or to call out someone that they would like to see back at auditions or wish they had let on team?

I haven't heard anything about Courtney trying out this season. 

Edited by ShellyB
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, ShellyB said:

If a DCC is cut at finals and then returns for a different season, they pick up where they left off.

i.e. If a 3rd year vet is cut at finals, but returns a year or more later and makes the team, she is a 4th year veteran. The only thing that changes is that she must start at prelims. Up until the late 90s, returning vets started at semi's. 

Oh wow! Thanks @ShellyB! That's super interesting to know! I figured it would be strange having a previous cheerleader become a rookie TCC all over again, even if she had been previously cut. Has it ever happened before that you know of where someone made it back after previously having been cut?

4 hours ago, AnnMichele said:

@ShellyB how are the TCC finalists selected/invited to attend and film at Kitty Carter's for audition help? In recent years, have there been former DCCs that did not attend Kitty's clinic that made the team?

Usually selected by production and Kitty 

47 minutes ago, Teresa said:

Oh wow! Thanks @ShellyB! That's super interesting to know! I figured it would be strange having a previous cheerleader become a rookie TCC all over again, even if she had been previously cut. Has it ever happened before that you know of where someone made it back after previously having been cut?

Just one that I can remember in the very late 90s. She came back and was the Pro Bowl DCC the year she retired. 

• Useful 1

@ShellyB I was watching last season was reminded that Kendall quit her job due to the time commitments of training camp, which then caused me wonder: how often do the TCCs have events/commitments during the day during TC? Obviously it seems some of the girls have to work to support themselves so I was just wondering on average how many days a week they are expected to miss work/school? Thanks!!

44 minutes ago, dancingthroughlife said:

@ShellyB I was watching last season was reminded that Kendall quit her job due to the time commitments of training camp, which then caused me wonder: how often do the TCCs have events/commitments during the day during TC? Obviously it seems some of the girls have to work to support themselves so I was just wondering on average how many days a week they are expected to miss work/school? Thanks!!

Along this line @ShellyB what about girls who are teachers? Are they allowed to miss practice without penalty for evening events they are expected to attend at their schools things like Parent/Teacher conferences that are contracted expectations?

• Love 1
On 4/22/2017 at 2:49 PM, twinkietwin94 said:

Along this line @ShellyB what about girls who are teachers? Are they allowed to miss practice without penalty for evening events they are expected to attend at their schools things like Parent/Teacher conferences that are contracted expectations?

@dancingthroughlife there are not a whole lot of daytime events for DCC to attend on a weekly basis. Keep in mind that during training camp, the a majority of TCC's don't have a uniform. So, if events arise, its most likely that veterans are making appearances. Once the thevteam has been announced, Rookies are booked on appearances. On average, there may be 2-3 events per week, spread out among the entire team. 

@twinkietwin94 somehow the teachers work their schedules out so that there aren't any conflicts. If the situation is unavoidable, then it's a case by case decision from K & J. 

• Useful 1

Shelly is that the same for those who (for example) are at school and (may for example) have an exam during the day when a event is happening at the same time? I wouldn't expect K and J to tell them the event was more important than the exam? (thats an example of course so just wondered thats all. As I live in the UK and sometimes some of the exams at uni here finishes at like 6pm so of course I am pretty "naive" about when the exams times etc finishes in the US and just wondered what happens if eg that happens and the exam finishes at 6pm and theres an event going on that day or if there was training which means the girl will be late to training etc).

I always just assumed Training Camp was a bundle of crazy, particularly for rookies, since everyone needs to learn  the dances. Don't they just have a rehearsal or two per week during the regular season? Show Group for those who have time and skills to make it, and those with full time jobs and/or kids at home can likely sign up for less appearances than those with unlimited availability. 

I never thought regular season was the amount of intensity of the summer, just a different beast with games and such. 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Dcc fan said:

Shelly is that the same for those who (for example) are at school and (may for example) have an exam during the day when a event is happening at the same time? I wouldn't expect K and J to tell them the event was more important than the exam? (thats an example of course so just wondered thats all. As I live in the UK and sometimes some of the exams at uni here finishes at like 6pm so of course I am pretty "naive" about when the exams times etc finishes in the US and just wondered what happens if eg that happens and the exam finishes at 6pm and theres an event going on that day or if there was training which means the girl will be late to training etc).

A majority of our events involve 2 DCC, maybe 4. Only shows have 12 or more DCC (16) and we always ask who's available. Full squad events are given a lot of lead time, so any possible conflicts can be avoided. 

I posted this question in another thread but I think it was the wrong thread, however:

I really want Lauren Gibler to tryout for DCC again. However, I would not blame her if she never did again, considering the ridiculous reasons K and C gave for her not making the team. Judy really liked her. She has retired from the Mavs. Does anyone know what she is doing now and if she ever plans on trying out for DCC again?

18 minutes ago, DCCFAN71 said:

I posted this question in another thread but I think it was the wrong thread, however:

I really want Lauren Gibler to tryout for DCC again. However, I would not blame her if she never did again, considering the ridiculous reasons K and C gave for her not making the team. Judy really liked her. She has retired from the Mavs. Does anyone know what she is doing now and if she ever plans on trying out for DCC again?

Wrong thread, and you likely won't find many fans of her here. 

3 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

I don't even remember Lauren Gibler.

It's been a long time since she auditioned. I can't even remember which season it was. She cheered with the Mavs I think for six years but she's retired now. I doubt she plans to return to NFL/NBA dancing.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Oranaiche said:

0It's been a long time since she auditioned. I can't even remember which season it was. She cheered with the Mavs I think for six years but she's retired now. I doubt she plans to return to NFL/NBA dancing.

Lauren auditioned in season 5 (2010) and went on to become a DMD for the 2010-11 season. Paula Tabares (cut from TC ) also became DMD along with Lauren.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1