Type keyword(s) to search

DCC Q&A: Mysteries of the DCC World

• Start Topic

23 minutes ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

Does Judy actually TEACH choreo? Or does she just clean and direct? Can I see Kitty doing choreo? Hell yes. Can I see Kelli hitting yard lines? Of course. Can I see Shelly teaching choreo? Already saw it. Can I see Judes dropping it like it's hot and bouncing on it? Not on your life. I can't even picture her LIKING that style, much less cleaning and performing it with the girls.

The biggest mystery seems to be if Judy ever actually busts a move or has some one else demonstrate and then she directs and cleans.

• Love 4

As to those retiring, how do they let Judy and Kelli know?   Do they go to the office and do it in person or does word just get to them?  Perhaps there is a year end form to fill out and turn back in?  Or an interview with each DCC at the end of the year?

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

As to those retiring, how do they let Judy and Kelli know?   Do they go to the office and do it in person or does word just get to them?  Perhaps there is a year end form to fill out and turn back in?  Or an interview with each DCC at the end of the year?

They used to interview them before the banquet, maybe before the calendar shoot? Girls turned in resignation letters or stated if they were reauditioning.

• Love 1
On 2/7/2017 at 3:09 PM, QuiteContraryMoni said:

Girl, you're like a dog with a bone. Throttle er back there, you're completely totally right, right right. All day long right.

I'm also curious @ShellyB if Kitty would ever be a judge? I think we could either see her as biased or extremely in-tune with where the girls are at. Could save a lot of people their time in the long run!

Not likely to be a judge as so many girls go through her studio for classes, it could be a conflict. 

• Love 5

@ShellyB Just curious as we're beginning to discuss tryouts and training camp, do you and the others in DCC admin prefer a girl who studies and tries to learn things like the field entrance, the jump split, the kick line, Thunderstruck etc, a girl who is a blank slate that won't need additional time to correct any ingrained mistakes they made trying to learn the things above, or does it depend on the girl and their ability to learn and correct mistakes.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, tobeyoungagain said:

How do they pick the alums for the Belk fashion show?  I would love to see Schramm or even Cassie make an alum appearance!

I'd imagine it's whoever still lives in DFW and is available that day? 

• Love 1

So out of curiosity, not sure if anyone, maybe ShellyB can help?

I always wondered who the All Stars were each year since the All Stars were introduced etc? I know some of it for certain years but pretty sure I may have them mixed up.

The DCC are being shown here on ITVBe here in the uk and started at season 5 the Tuesday that just gone (21 Feb) I have been setting it on record on my tv, as I'm working, when it gets shown (at 2pm) but some reason my tv being an "ass" and just only recorded 1 of like 5 episode of season 5 (it only recorded episode 2 - I think)!!!

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Dcc fan said:

I always wondered who the All Stars were each year since the All Stars were introduced etc? I know some of it for certain years but pretty sure I may have them mixed up.

The DCC are being shown here on ITVBe here in the uk and started at season 5 the Tuesday that just gone (21 Feb) I have been setting it on record on my tv, as I'm working, when it gets shown (at 2pm) but some reason my tv being an "ass" and just only recorded 1 of like 5 episode of season 5 (it only recorded episode 2 - I think)!!!

LOVE watching MTT on ITVBe :) the only problem is the music is changed most of the time Lol! I remember when they first started screening season 3 a few years back :)

On 2/20/2017 at 3:24 PM, twinkietwin94 said:

@ShellyB Just curious as we're beginning to discuss tryouts and training camp, do you and the others in DCC admin prefer a girl who studies and tries to learn things like the field entrance, the jump split, the kick line, Thunderstruck etc, a girl who is a blank slate that won't need additional time to correct any ingrained mistakes they made trying to learn the things above, or does it depend on the girl and their ability to learn and correct mistakes.

There are a lot of nuances in our choreography that cannot be learned from a video. It's much easier to start with a clean slate rather than go back and fix incorrect choreo, especially if they've been practicing it for a long time. Same goes for kick technique. It's best to learn in an environment where it can be critiqued and issues can be addressed. Improper kick technique can cause injuries to oneself or to whom you are hooked up with in the line. Also, some things change from season to season amongst the leaders.

• Love 3
On 2/23/2017 at 4:54 PM, Dcc fan said:

The first two were Pennie Booker & Megan Willsey and they did a few appearances during the summer of 2000 while training camp was happening. The following summer, a cast of 8 were chosen for nightly performances at Six Flags Over Texas...that's when the All Star moniker was born. Since then, the number has fluctuated between 4-8 per season, but Kelli has remained firm in her rule that in order to be considered, a girl must have cheered for at least 3 years and remained in good standing. The only two exceptions to her rules have been Andrea Richards and Olivia Sharber.

• Love 5
On 2/10/2017 at 8:49 AM, heatherrrrz said:

I'm pretty sure GL1 is the one who teaches the choreo and Judy just makes sure it's clean.

All Group Leaders help with choreo and teach. 

On 2/15/2017 at 4:10 PM, QuiteContraryMoni said:

@ShellyB can the girls drink alcohol at the year-end banquet? I know they're not supposed to for other DCC functions, but come on man! It's the year end banquet!!

Hmmmmm...inquiring minds. Wine is served with dinner and they may partake if they are of legal age. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, ShellyB said:

The first two were Pennie Booker & Megan Willsey and they did a few appearances during the summer of 2000 while training camp was happening. The following summer, a cast of 8 were chosen for nightly performances at Six Flags Over Texas...that's when the All Star moniker was born. Since then, the number has fluctuated between 4-8 per season, but Kelli has remained firm in her rule that in order to be considered, a girl must have cheered for at least 3 years and remained in good standing. The only two exceptions to her rules have been Andrea Richards and Olivia Sharber.

I thought two year vet Carisa Rose was an All-Star also. She was the one girl in Season 7 who did not try out for Show Group because she wanted to work to send money to her family.

Shelly, can you tell us a little about how the group leaders and seconds are chosen each year?  Are all veterans in the running? Or do Kelli and Judy ask who would like the job and then choose from those who have asked to be considered?

How is it decided which women are in each group? Obviously you want a diversity of looks in each group, but do other factors come into play?

And finally, is it true the that the Group 1 leader has special prestige and is considered the official (or maybe unofficial) team captain?

Thanks.

• Love 2

I remember reading somewhere Kelli takes a look at the vets trying out again, and she makes a list of possible group and assistant group leaders. I think the girls do vote for who they want for leaders, but I do not know if TC candidates get to vote. Of course, the leaders are chosen may have change since I read how Kelli was looking at possible leaders.

3 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

I thought two year vet Carisa Rose was an All-Star also. She was the one girl in Season 7 who did not try out for Show Group because she wanted to work to send money to her family.

She did a few events early in training camp, but did not do the full year commitment.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

ShellyB I sure hope you are up to another season of questions from all of us!  Thank you so much for your patience and honesty.  I never danced a day in my life but really enjoy the show.  Have never missed an episode.  Where did the years go??

Edited by parrotfeathers
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, sleepyjean said:

Shelly, can you tell us a little about how the group leaders and seconds are chosen each year?  Are all veterans in the running? Or do Kelli and Judy ask who would like the job and then choose from those who have asked to be considered?

How is it decided which women are in each group? Obviously you want a diversity of looks in each group, but do other factors come into play?

And finally, is it true the that the Group 1 leader has special prestige and is considered the official (or maybe unofficial) team captain?

Thanks.

Group leaders/2nds are chosen by Judy and Kelli each season. Dance technique, leadership, motivational and organizational are few of the skills considered. And because there are 4, usually one of those qualities stands out more than the others in each leader. 1sts & 2nds usually compliment each other very well. 

Groups are chosen by hair color, height, dance style, etc.

Most seasons, but not always, group 1 leader usually has more seniority. This year was different with Jennifer, as she is strong in every category and most times, one step ahead...always thinking forward. 

• Love 8
On 2/15/2017 at 9:18 PM, parrotfeathers said:

Reaudition Deadline given and the email their decision and reason if not returning. 

• Love 2
On 2/25/2017 at 3:24 AM, ShellyB said:

Thanks Shelly. Funny how I thought the All Stars started long before 2000's eg I thought they started like nearer when the cheerleaders started or even a few years after they started like around the 80s or even early 90's

Tho can you give us the names of all the All Stars eg who were the All Stars in each year since it started was. eg who were 2000, 2001, 2002's  (and so on) etc (if it made sense)?  

Also has any All Stars ever stayed an All Stars for more than 1 year etc eg wasn't Jackie an All Star for a few years etc? (thats why I asked who the All stars were each year, if you are able to name them etc. I know its alot to ask and I am sorry if its alot of work etc so don't worry if you cant answer it etc, hee!! Just wondered so I'm not confusing myself!!!) 

I wish they would still have the old DCC website. They gave you so much information.  Loved the articles/blogs by the DCCs (could ask them questions),  named the All Stars, the Where Are They Now section. I miss all that.

1 minute ago, bigskygirl said:

Mia, Trisha, Crystal, Ally T., Katy, Misty Duncan, Justine Philips, Meagan McVay were All-Stars for more than one year.

Mia and Emma both filled in for injured girls.

Edited by MrsEVH
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

@ShellyB what do the girls use to clean their white boots? Don't the stars ever come off with the dancing? Doesn't sunless tanner ever stain the uniform? The belt buckle looks heavy enough on some of those tiny girls to pull clean down! How do they keep those shorts from slipping with rigorous dancing? As always, thank you!!

Good questions! In pictures it looks like sometimes the shorts wrinkle or bunch up in the legs.

1 hour ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

Thanks! Yeah I've noticed that too. I know they're lined, so I wonder if the lining affects how they hang on the hips/thighs?

I think the "new" shorts are baggier and don't look as flattering, maybe there's just extra fabric? 

• Love 1
Just now, QuiteContraryMoni said:

I was thinking that some of the "new" shorts are MORE flattering. I think they're the same thing, but they're just cutting them more generously. I was wondering just how low they were going to go with that cut! I do see the potential for diaper-esque-ness (new word. you're welcome) if cut too generously.

Do you think the new shorts are shorter? They're longer in almost every picture I've seen. (by like an inch, because that matters? lol) 

• Love 1
On 2/26/2017 at 6:17 PM, QuiteContraryMoni said:

@ShellyB what do the girls use to clean their white boots? Don't the stars ever come off with the dancing? Doesn't sunless tanner ever stain the uniform? The belt buckle looks heavy enough on some of those tiny girls to pull clean down! How do they keep those shorts from slipping with rigorous dancing? As always, thank you!!

I can't speak for all the girls, but I used saddle soap for my boots. 

The velcro on the stars is pretty heavy duty, but there have been times when a star has come off of the uniform. 

Occasionally the tanner will rub off, but they wash their uniforms after each game. 

The buckle is not as heavy as it appears.

The shorts are custom fit to every girls body, they fit like a glove. 

• Love 4

I've seen the girls doing pirouettes in tennis shoes on the dance floor at auditions,in training camp and even on the turf field during finals.... As a retired dancer... HOW?! Lol!! I've always wondered because they look like normal white Nike free tennis shoes, but if I tried to turn in that my ankle&body would move and the ball of my foot would stay plastered to the floor!!!  @ShellyB what kind of shoes do the girls wear? Or does it just come from practice? 

• Love 1

Brooke was injured during Show Group practice by someone going into too early or too late during kicks and jump split practice in Season 2. It was not shown on the show.

Rachel was sent to a Cowboys Team Doctor when she injured her knee in Season 7.

In my opinion, I do not think Cassie's knee injury during the Show Group USO tour had nothing to do with the no dancing in front of the troops. It may have played a small part in it, but I do not think it is the whole story.

I have no idea who it is. I do remember Brooke wrote a blog on the former DCC page about her injury, surgery and coming back to the team. I do believe her injury happened during TC in Season 2.

4 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

I have no idea who it is. I do remember Brooke wrote a blog on the former DCC page about her injury, surgery and coming back to the team. I do believe her injury happened during TC in Season 2.

It was season 2 (2007). In the squad photo she's in the 3rd row at the end and her left leg (in a cast)  is hidden.

6 hours ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

@ShellyB we gots more inquiring minds!! So we always have "facts" on this board...and it's like the telephone game. Start with "my mom gave me an apple for lunch" and end with "Burger King was a member of the Nazi party". Or something like that. Anyway,

@sleepyjean and I wanted to know stuff but we don't want to ask stuff, as she put it "That's DCC's business and none of ours" LOL! Here are a few....

Wait...I'm ttying to think of ones she can answer without exposing dcc inside business that's none of ours...

Is it true that kyndall was asked to meet with Melissa and said no thank you?

Is it true that some cheerleaders aren't featured on the show because they didn't want to be? (Opted out or would not sign a waiver)

Is it true that they don't to the full show group extravaganza for the USO anymore because someone (cassie? Brooke?) Was injured on tour one year?

Is it true Cowboys cover medical expenses/allow access to cowboys medical team for dcc injured on the job?

Not sure of all of the circumstances, but Kyndall was unavailable to work with Melissa

Everyone signs the waiver, staff, vets and rookies. Features on the show are dependent on storylines.

The USO tours have changed because their are more opportunities to meet families, specifically kids. Therefore, the DCC tours are designed around our camps and community service.

if they are injured during DCC rehearsals, games, shows, etc. they have the opportunity to see a Cowboys physician. 

• Love 3

@ShellyB are vets who are at risk of getting cut at the next audition season given warnings or sometimes encouraged to retire? Or is it presumed that the feedback and notes they get throughout the season should give them enough of a clue as to the precariousness of their position on the squad?  I'm thinking about vets who gained weight/get in less-than-spectacular shape, haven't improved in performance power or choreo retention/precision over the year as they were expected to do, bend rules, or appear to slack off in some way. If they announce their intent to reaudition, do the powers that be say nothing, or do they let these vets know, hey, if you want to come back, you need to address x, y, or z to have a real shot?  

Edited by M1977G
  • Love 1
On 3/19/2017 at 10:01 AM, M1977G said:

@ShellyB are vets who are at risk of getting cut at the next audition season given warnings or sometimes encouraged to retire? Or is it presumed that the feedback and notes they get throughout the season should give them enough of a clue as to the precariousness of their position on the squad?  I'm thinking about vets who gained weight/get in less-than-spectacular shape, haven't improved in performance power or choreo retention/precision over the year as they were expected to do, bend rules, or appear to slack off in some way. If they announce their intent to reaudition, do the powers that be say nothing, or do they let these vets know, hey, if you want to come back, you need to address x, y, or z to have a real shot?  

They each have an end of season review when they are given feedback, expectations moving forward, etc. To my knowledge, no one has been discouraged from auditioning. K & J are their biggest champions and really do want the best for all. 

On 3/19/2017 at 0:53 PM, sleepyjean said:

Shelly, when did the concept of an all-summer DCC training camp start? I don't think they had that in the 70s or 80s did they?

Training camp has always concluded with the announcing of the team/first game, which are usually in close proximity. In the 80's training camp started in late April/early May, because auditions were in April. They shifted to May to help alleviate the pressures of some girls finishing up school. 

Edited by ShellyB
  • Love 6

@ShellyB Will you guys find some way to keep Jenn K associated with the DCCs?  She seems like such a great ambassador / vet / performer / etc. 

Also, why does retired vet Kelsey still have her DCC twitter handle?  I mean, she chose to retire right?  So why would she keep the handle?  Has anyone spoken to her about it?  It's so odd. 

• Love 1

I'm sure Judy will utilize Jennifer throughout the season...she's talented, motivating and organized. Would be sad to see her walk away completely. 

Not really sure why she has her twitter handle still. Maybe she just can't let it go? #twitterenvy

Edited by ShellyB
  • Love 1