Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: Jennings, Elizabeth

(edited)

Oh, Oleg.  Right as they took the coded message out of his pocket, his eyes half-closed, and that was Oleg saying goodbye to everything. 

If I had not seen the previews, I would not have bet ten cents on Elizabeth getting out of Claudia's house alive.  But I knew she would be grabbing money at some point.  They sure packed a lot into the final five minutes.

I was so sure Elizabeth would be heading to the garage and nabbed there. 

2 minutes ago, CaliCheeseSucks said:

Well. That was something. 

I was hoping for a good ol' Elizabeth-on-Claudia beat down. For old times' sake.

Edited by jjj
  • Love 11
1 minute ago, scartact said:

The entire time, I was like, "Fuck. FUCK FUCK FUCK. Fuck." I'm all tense and shit now.

Also, forehead vein made a (final?) appearance!

And the *under the eyes veins* -- HOW does she do that???

• Love 10

Why doesn't Oleg tell Stan he will let the FBI know he slept with a Russian spy? Blackmail. 

When will his wife turn up and save the Jennings? ( my theory based on nothing)

• Love 8

The look of dread and ohshitedness on Elizabeth's face when Philip said things were topsy turvy.  Something they probably prepped for ever since they've been there, but after being there so long and never needed had to be such a shock.

• Love 17

So it looks like it will all come down to will-they-or-won't-they escape, much simpler than the convoluted scenarios I had imagined. 

Paige had an awful quick turn-around but I hand-waved it because of how it was another blow to Elizabeth as she finally does what is right and loses everything. The flashback worked well to show that from the beginning she had always put being a human being aside for the sake of the mission, making a sacrifice even her handlers warned her against.

I am surprised Claudia let her walk, even temporarily.

• Love 22

No Renee tonight!  She must be off studying the state capitals. 

No wonder the travel agency in in trouble -- Philip trying to be the big shot in front of his random employee was painful for all of them, and all of us. 

But Stan offering cash to help?  Genius, because then he could see the books -- although the books would show normal travel agency stuff. 

• Love 14
(edited)

I want to re-watch the conversation between Oleg and Stan. That said so much about why they do what they do.

Was hoping that this was the end of Granny but it looks like she survives for another episode, at least.

Paige...that’s what we’ve been trying to tell you all season.

RIP, Tatiana. Can’t out-maneuver Liz.

Edited by Ellaria Sand
  • Love 18
1 minute ago, bluestocking said:

It took me forever to recognize Pastor Groovyhair without the hair.  They really are tying up all the loose ends.

Oh, yes, I could see the wheels turning in his head -- he remembered the threats all too well.  Stan's chit-chat took an ominous turn after he got to the real questions -- like, "Nice family you got there, be a shame if something happened to them."  Pastor Tim had to immediately decide if a vague FBI threat was more dangerous than the real KGB threat.  He chose right for his family's sake, and it's a good thing he likes Buenos Aires, because they will be there a long, long time. 

• Love 18
(edited)

Elizabeth grabbed the REAL WEDDING RINGS!!! Best part of the show. 

Gotta love the FBI. They shot themselves in the foot grabbing Oleg. And Stan’s interrogation of Oleg was terrible. He doesn’t seem to know him at all. Loved Oleg’s speech to Stan. Really need to hear it again though to fully appreciate it. 

Did not consider that the episode title would come from a computer search. 

How dumb was Andrei to meet Philip like that? Moron. Philip was thinking that too. 

I never thought Stan would really get anything out of Tim. He wasn’t going to say P and E were spies and thus out himself and his wife as traitors. 

Seriously- not enough Philip. It’s not fair. More Elizabeth flashbacks and none for him. 

So finding out her parents slept around for work is what angers Paige. It should. But I couldn’t quite feel sorry for her. Or feel her outrage. Though HT did good. Well- she was lied to as well. That was it too. Like mother, like daughter there. 

When Stan spelled out his case against Philip and Elizabeth, it sounded pretty pitiful. 

LOL at Philip telling his employees to watch what he said around Stan since he’s an FBI agent. Story of Philip’s life. 

Gotta love the look on Philip’s face when he heard about Renee wanting to join the FBI. 

Claudia vs Elizabeth was so powerful. Too bad the message hasn’t gotten to Moscow yet. Elizabeth spoke too soon. Another scene I need to see again. 

Edited by Erin9
  • Love 23

This week: all our pressing Renee questions are answered!

j/k. We did get to see Pastor Dollar Biil's new wig, though.

I really did want to like this episode. But I wish we had seen Stan's growing  awareness earlier this season and have more action unfold over several weeks. Everything seems kind of tacked-on and a little forced.

• Love 19
(edited)

I have to say that the costuming and makeup of young Elizabeth was terrific; she even made her lips thinner and more mousy.  Just a schoolgirl.  (Felitziana!)

How did superspy Tatiana miss bewigged Elizabeth smoking two packs on a bench down the street and staring at the same building that Tatiana was staring at for half a day?

14 minutes ago, Ellaria Sand said:

RIP, Tatiana. Can’t out maneuver Liz.

Edited by jjj
  • Love 15
1 minute ago, Erin9 said:

Seriously- not enough Philip. It’s not fair. More Elizabeth flashbacks and none for him. 

I was thinking the same thing and hope they will throw us one more Philip flashback next week. 

When Paige walked out it made me nervous thinking she might go to Claudia’s place and Claudia woukd harm her in some way or tell her something terrible in retaliation against Elizabeth. But Elizabeth didn’t seem to imagine such a thing could happen.

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, jjj said:

If I had not seen the previews, I would not have bet ten cents on Elizabeth getting out of Claudia's house alive.

9 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

When Elizabeth was there with Claudia I kept my eye on that soup the whole time thinking, “Look out Elizabeth! Granny’s got a pot of hot grits!”

Yes, I was waiting for the moment when Claudia would weaponize that pot of hot fish soup. But then when she resignedly ate it like it was her last meal, I figured that she knew on some level that "her people" had lost.

Is it just me, or was something off about Father Alexei? Why would he risk meeting with Philip when he knew one of the other clerics was being interviewed by the FBI that very same day, and was probably going to sell him out? There must have been a way for him to get that message to the Jenningses without having to meet in person.

I'm glad Elizabeth protected Nesterenko, but I also feel sad for Tatiana that that's how her life turned out. That's now the second woman who's slept with Oleg and ended up dead. And Oleg, even though he's in deep shit, is still alive.

• Love 16
Just now, Milburn Stone said:

I figured Stan expected Tim to say nothing incriminating about P and E. He was listening for how Tim said nothing incriminating about P and E.

Still didn’t seem useful to me. 

• Love 2

Ok so that was Tatiana.  I thought so, but wasn’t sure.  So thanks to all for confirming.

I was kind of waiting for Oleg to tell Stan that he would decode the message if / when his wife, son and parents had been safely defected to the United States.  Pretty sure that’s not even a possibility but it’s what I would have hoped for in my wish on how this will end for Oleg.  

I did literally gasp OMG out loud when Philip took off running.  I was certain he was toast.  

• Love 13
(edited)
10 minutes ago, jjj said:

Oh, the scene with Aderholt and Stan at the elevator?  "Philip and Elizabeth Jennings are NOT Russian spies."  But after another minute, and when Aderholt had to go back to the elevator, he looked at Stan with great dubiousness, and it was impossible to tell if he was doubting Stan or doubting the Jennings -- but he was disturbed. 

I was REALLY surprised the whole FBI did not blow up in activity when they heard about the murder of Russian Rezidentura officer Tatiana, who was found ten feet away from the official Russians with a poison blowgun. 

I also expected the news of the Rezidentura officer’s death in such a situation would cause a sudden commotion. Maybe that’s still to come...

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 15
8 minutes ago, jjj said:

I was REALLY surprised the whole FBI did not blow up in activity when they heard about the murder of Russian Rezidentura officer Tatiana, who was found ten feet away from the official Russians with a poison blowgun. 

Yeah, that was a, "Seriously?" moment for me. Did not pass the sniff test at all. Hell, the people around her barely reacted. It's D.C., people would be absolutely reacting frantically to someone biting it in front of them. And these were high level government officials. 

• Love 16
16 minutes ago, Ellaria Sand said:

I want to re-watch the conversation between Oleg and Stan. That said so much about why they do what they do.

I did like that scene very much. But I also thought the show lost something when they got rid of the Rezidentura. 

17 minutes ago, Erin9 said:

Did not consider that the episode title would come from a computer search. 

I was hell bent on believing it referred to Elizabeth getting busted and the finale would be the aftermath. 

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, ajsnaves said:

If there is one thing we have learned about the espionage business, it is always best to dress in layers.  Good thing Phillip remembered that.  Clearly spying is NOT a summer time activity then. 

It sure is not on this show! I’ve noticed over the seasons that we have never seen episodes set in summer. ;-)

• Love 9

I'm no cop, but, while Aberholt seemed to think Stan was talking crazy shit, it was only in that "he's talking crazy, but he may be onto something" way that good, smart cops (not your county sheriff cop) do with their trusted peers.

• Love 8

I like how it seemed like there were these Russian characters basically saying to the Americans: You so do not get me. Oleg telling Stan he's actually risking himself for other people and is not going to just hand over Illegals to save his own skin. Big Damn Hero. Don't know if Stan will be sending the message in the end.

In a reversal of season 1 when Philip accidentally sent Elizabeth into a trap after telling her he loved her, Elizabeth spitefully and accidentally sends Philip into a trap. Had to laugh when he's telling Father Andre how he left the work behind while talking to a guy on a park bench wearing a hat, glasses and fake mustache. For him, that's out of the life.

The moral of Stan's phone call to Argentina is: Shoulda called Alice!

Still, Pastor Tim was obviously trying to sort of telling him some truth, that Paige is great and the Jennings are fine even though they're, uh, "not members of the church." So, you know, if there's anything bad about the parents he would have no way of knowing! He just knew Paige! Innocent young girl Paige!

What to say about Claudia and Elizabeth except that Claudia will no doubt be fine. I expected her to swallow a necklace pill right there!

Paige and Elizabeth's scene was good, but I have to admit it felt just very convenient to me. Paige has been completely clueless and now, five minutes from the end, stumbles into this whole confession and for the first time puts two and two together and comes over to say so in her customary "Paige vs. Mom" blocking over the kitchen island. So was she quitting? Was she admitting that all this "I'm totally Russian" stuff was bullshit? The one bit of research she did was about sex and so now the sex is the thing that's a bridge too far?

It's consistent and pretty interesting that as ever Paige just saw the whole thing as being about her mom and romance. I liked how she retreated into her season one place of siding with Dad only when she's angry at her mom, making him the victim that she's defending. She still didn't get what Elizabeth was saying about Brian. She claimed Elizabeth was being "weird" about him but she wasn't being weird. She told her she could sleep with him, just don't also spy on him. So her telling Elizabeth that they "actually liked each other" was not proving her wrong. She was doing just what Elizabeth said to do and acting like Elizabeth was the one telling her to make it about work! She is so bad at this! Claudia's plot may have saved the USSR just by getting Paige out.

It did feel like when Paige was saying that that she was basically announcing she was out. Not literally saying that, but she's going to have a regular relationship with this guy and not just be a spy, even though she said last week she couldn't relate to normal people. If there were more episodes maybe we'd just be going back and forth with Paige just being weird about romance but coming now it seems like she's out. Her saying she should have gotten away from Elizabeth was hopefully her rejecting the life.

Anyway, nice of Elizabeth to go ahead and out Philip's sex work as long as Paige is accusing her. LOL! Although Paige could have thought Elizabeth was saying Philip didn't care who she slept with. I could believe Paige still not understanding that men can honeytrap too. It really does often seem to come back to Paige being fascinated with her mother's *marriage* above all things. Like she can't get into Philip's head because she's trying to *be* her mother in the relationship, trying to figure out how to get that for herself. Now she feels her mom isn't deserving so her father must also hate her for being a whore--even though he's obviously stuck with her for years. It's the marriage she's always wanted for herself even though she's always back and forth about whether these two flawed people deserve such intimacy. Either Dad's undeserving because he's weak and mom's strong or Mom's undeserving because she's a whore and Dad's not. In the end these two crazy kids only have each other!

When Elizabeth went into the fusebox all I cared about was her taking those rings--which she did. Yay! I liked in the scene with Claudia how she asked what was left for Elizabeth about the cause and when she said her "American children" it felt like yeah, there's some insecurity there because kids grow up and they are American. But when she said Philip...yeah, that's what's left for her.

5 minutes ago, Erin9 said:

IKR? Even if it was just a little incident it still gave us a glimpse into Elizabeth as a trainee which we already knew some about. Nothing about Philip ever! We have no idea how he related to being a trainee!

1 minute ago, RedHawk said:

When Paige walked out it made me nervous thinking she might go to Claudia’s place and Claudia woukd harm her in some way or tell her something terrible in retaliation against Elizabeth. But Elizabeth didn’t seem to imagine such a thing could happen.

Couldn't tell her anything worse than what she'd heard, apparently. Really, would Paige care at all if Claudia told her Elizabeth had betrayed the Cause blah blah blah? No, she cares that Elizabeth seduced a boy and ruined his life. I guess this was the first time it occurred to her that spies ruin lives. Hey, do you think that's why that guy committed suicide in the park?!

1 minute ago, chocolatine said:

Is it just me, or was something off about Father Alexei? Why would he risk meeting with Philip when he knew one of the other clerics was being interviewed by the FBI that very same day, and was probably going to sell him out? There must have been a way for him to get that message to the Jenningses without having to meet in person.

And he even sat with him to talk about his marriage for a while first. The message was like an afterthought and Philip freaked. But I don't think Father Andre was ever the sharpest knife in the drawer.

I always wondered if we'd get a phone call like the one at the end.

I did really like Elizabeth's yelling (forehead and eye veins and all) to Paige about her position, though I feel like it didn't come across as clearly as it could have how this refuted all those afternoons at Claudia's etc. I mean, the whole "I GET it, Mom," stuff. Elizabeth always knew underneath that she didn't get it and so did Paige. Now they're on totally different pages with totally different ideas about what is a terrible thing to do. Elizabeth let him live! This was one of the good ones! You can't just tell someone about your harsh life in a foreign country and turn them into you.

Of course, Claudia and Elizabeth had a similar scene, but they were more on the same level, at least.

1 minute ago, RedHawk said:

It sure is not on this show! I’ve noticed over the seasons that we have never seen episodes set in summer. ;-)

I believe last season was supposed to have ended in late spring at the earliest. You may not have noticed because Henry was still wearing his puffy down jacket!

3 minutes ago, bluelena69 said:

I'm no cop, but, while Aberholt seemed to think Stan was talking crazy shit, it was only in that "he's talking crazy, but he may be onto something" way that good, smart cops (not your county sheriff cop) do with their trusted peers.

Yes, I definitely thought he was playing Devil's Advocate above all. He felt it was his duty to calm him down, but he didn't just think he was nuts. He'll be right there with him chasing them.

2 minutes ago, Erin9 said:

Another lol moment was when Stan asked who leaves his kid on thanksgiving. He was trying to make the point about them having more important real jobs, but he sounded like he was also taking a moral high ground. So- my first thought: you. Stan would totally have done it. 

LOL! That was exactly what I thought. Look at Stan acting all scandalized at a teenage boy being left alone...like Matthew was.

• Love 22
3 minutes ago, Erin9 said:

im telling Oleg he didn’t care if Gorbachev was ousted had to be one of the dumbest things he could say. First- it’s bad news for the US. It just is. That shouldn’t be rocket science to him. 

Second- as Oleg had to spell out in painstaking detail- he risked EVERYTHING in the hope for a better future with Gorbachev- the same kind of future Stan values. Get that through your thick skull, indeed Stan. 

Why would Stan trust Oleg?  He gave Oleg the opportunity to tell him what was going on before...when he wasn't under arrest.  Oleg had every reason in the world to try to manipulate Stan to get him on his side.  For all Stan knew, he was would have been willing to risk everything to do the same thing Claudia was trying to do.

This episode was so very tense from the minute Philip met with the priest in the park and he realized they could be under surveillance. 

• Love 9
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Why would Stan trust Oleg?  He gave Oleg the opportunity to tell him what was going on before...when he wasn't under arrest.  Oleg had every reason in the world to try to manipulate Stan to get him on his side.  For all Stan knew, he was would have been willing to risk everything to do the same thing Claudia was trying to do.

This episode was so very tense from the minute Philip met with the priest in the park and he realized they could be under surveillance. 

Stan shouldn't necessarily lose trust in Oleg because Oleg wasn't up front with him. That would have blown up his whole reason for being in the US. Stan should get this...if his skull isn't so thick...

Edited by bluelena69
  • Love 9

After Paige stormed out, the camera pulled away to linger on a long shot of the first floor of the Jennings' house.  I assume this is the last time we will see it. 

• Love 6

Was Oleg trying to trick Stan into doing the dead drop to get dirt on him?    Or was he that desperate he had to ask Stan? 

Where are the Phillips going to go to hide?   KGB will move heaven and earth to find them. There ONLY hope to stay alive is to go to the FBI.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Stan supposedly got to know Oleg well in earlier seasons. This is a guy he blackmailed his own government over because he thought he was a decent guy. Now he wants to pin all the deaths and chaos on him? He doesn’t know Oleg at all. He knows- or should have known- that Oleg isn’t looking for a war with the US, isn’t looking to create tragedy,  and he loves his country. Wouldn’t have known that by watching. His interrogation was terrible. 

This episode showed how little he knew about how to talk to him. Or about Oleg at all if that’s the best he could do. 

5 minutes ago, bluelena69 said:

Stan shouldn't necessarily lose trust in Oleg because Oleg wasn't up front with him. That would have blown up his whole reason for being in the US. Stan should get this...if his skull isn't so thick...

Exactly. Stan was just an idiot. 

• Love 16
6 minutes ago, Erin9 said:

Stan supposedly got to know Oleg well in earlier seasons. This is a guy he blackmailed his own government over because he thought he was a decent guy. Now he wants to pin all the deaths and chaos on him? He doesn’t know Oleg at all. He knows- or should have known- that Oleg isn’t looking for a war with the US, isn’t looking to create tragedy,  and he loves his country. Wouldn’t have known that by watching. His interrogation was terrible. 

This episode showed how little he knew about how to talk to him. Or about Oleg at all if that’s the best he could do. 

Exactly. Stan was just an idiot. 

Oleg is the most straight up character this series has had. He represents a Soviet perspective that many Americans could never quite grasp. It was a land of people that only wanted to be relevant, they feared the United States and wanted nothing more than peace. History shows that those fears were well-founded. I'm most interested in what happens to him.

• Love 21
23 minutes ago, Erin9 said:

Another lol moment was when Stan asked who leaves his kid on thanksgiving. He was trying to make the point about them having more important real jobs, but he sounded like he was also taking a moral high ground. So- my first thought: you. Stan would totally have done it. 

Yes, an intelligence agent serving his country might leave his kids on Thanksgiving.  I think that was Stan's realization and his point about the Jennings.  It doesn't t make a lot of sense a travel agent would fly off on business during the holiday, with her partner/husband rushing after her.  But it sure might make sense for spies to do so. 

The Americans always jumped the shark a bit over the friendship between Stan and the Jennings. 

• Love 11
35 minutes ago, bluelena69 said:

Agreed. I think Aderholt has a lot of respect for Stan and would never completely discount anything he has to say.

• Love 5