Type keyword(s) to search

Good Witch - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I guess we finally find out what the result of that coin flip was (look it up!)  I mean unless that's been revealed at some point on one of the NCISes over the years for some strange reason.

I am so late to this show but I'm glad I found it. I loved JAG and Catherine Bell really seems to fit this role very well. I stumbled upon this show on Netflix so I'm just now marathoning the first 3 seasons (all that is available). 

I have heard there are also movies which came first but I can't seem to find them streaming so this series is the start for me. I hope when I do go back to the movies I won't be too disappointed between the differences in the two genres. 

3 hours ago, free2think said:

have heard there are also movies which came first but I can't seem to find them streaming so this series is the start for me. I hope when I do go back to the movies I won't be too disappointed between the differences in the two genres

While I'm not an expert on this show and came to the franchise late as you did.  I did watch all the movies once i found out what order to watch them in,  the movies are basically a longer version of the episodes.  So,  if you like the episodes,  you'll like the movies also.   Anyway,  if you can,  watch the movies because there are some relationships that need a bit of history shown about the characters.  The movies ARE theme–based and centered around holidays or special occasions in the town.

Note:  Watch both movies and season episodes in order of production,  it makes more sense.  Have you tried searching Yidio.com?  Yidio will show you what's available and where you can watch it. 

6 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

Have you tried searching Yidio.com?

No I had not so thanks for the tip! I found the list of the movies, unfortunately they are on the Hallmark paid channel which I don't have access. So my plan is to take advantage of the 7 day "free" subscription and binge all the movies then drop the channel. I already have Netflix for the TV show.

• Love 2

So apparently here is the current info on the new season of Good Witch:

On May 5th and 6th (Sunday and Monday) Hallmark is running the last two episodes of season 6 of When Calls the Heart, where we get to see how they will be handling the Lori Loughlin debacle.  Then next Sunday, May 12, the new season of Good Witch will start.

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 10:11 AM, free2think said:

I am so late to this show but I'm glad I found it. I loved JAG and Catherine Bell really seems to fit this role very well. I stumbled upon this show on Netflix so I'm just now marathoning the first 3 seasons (all that is available). 

I have heard there are also movies which came first but I can't seem to find them streaming so this series is the start for me. I hope when I do go back to the movies I won't be too disappointed between the differences in the two genres. 

Here is the order of Good Witch movies and seasons:

Good Witch (movie)

Good Witch's Garden (movie)

Good Witch's Gift (movie)

Good Witch's Family (movie)

Good Witch's Charm (movie)

Good Witch's Destiny (movie)

Good Witch's Wonder (movie)

Season 1 of series

Good Witch's Halloween (movie)

Season 2 of series

Secrets of Grey House (movie)

Season 3 of series

Spellbound (movie)

Season 4 of series

Tale of two Hearts (movie)

Season 5 of series (new season starting in May)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

@free2think, another site you can try is YouTube.  The Good Witch airs on Hallmark, so it's not available on YouTube TV, but episodes and perhaps movies (I only saw episodes available during the short time I browsed the site) are available on YouTube.

• Love 1
On 4/22/2019 at 5:14 PM, treeofdreams said:

Season 5 of series (new season starting in May

I’ve heard that is delayed until June because of WCTH problems. But I’ve found a Much better show in Good Witch so not going back to that mess. 

On 4/17/2019 at 5:08 PM, Jacks-Son said:

So,  if you like the episodes,  you'll like the movies also.   Anyway,  if you can,  watch the movies because there are some relationships that need a bit of history shown about the characters

I just finished all the movies using the free preview to the Hallmark streaming channel. I’m set to cancel now so I don’t have to pay. 

You were right, now I understand the relationships better, most of the actors in the movies are in the show. 

Thanks for the info, I’m so glad I found this show. I still have season 3 to watch on Netflix. Not sure when season 4 will be released but it’s usually after the current season starts so I’m guessing this summer sometime.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, free2think said:

I’ve heard that is delayed until June because of WCTH problems. But I’ve found a Much better show in Good Witch so not going back to that mess. 

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 2:08 PM, treeofdreams said:

So apparently here is the current info on the new season of Good Witch:

On May 5th and 6th (Sunday and Monday) Hallmark is running the last two episodes of season 6 of When Calls the Heart, where we get to see how they will be handling the Lori Loughlin debacle.  Then next Sunday, May 12, the new season of Good Witch will start.

I think the May 12 is the correct date for the new season to start; I have not heard anything to indicate otherwise.

• Useful 1

But the REAL question is whether they have smacked all their writers upside their heads and asked them to do better, following the suggestions here on our forum.  If Hallmark wants to pay me to be a writer, I will gladly quit my horrible stressful job and come be creative. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, free2think said:

I just looked it up and Hallmark page says Good Witch comes back on June 9. With another episode on June 10th then episodes on Sundays for the rest of the season.

https://www.hallmarkchannel.com/good-witch

That's odd, because during one of the recent Hallmark movies Erin Krakow made the announcement about the dates of when WCTH and Good Witch would be airing.

I guess we just need to keep our eyes on the TV guide for the right dates so we don't miss anything!

• Love 1
(edited)

OMG! I just finished season 3 of Good Witch (loved it) and I caught the writers of this show totally throwing shade at WCTH! 

The scene is when the Major is trying to come up with something to say at the wedding of her son and she is trying to find something profound. Then she makes this comment as she is rattling off what she does not want to say, "...something better than love is patient, love is kind; what does that even mean?" If you ever watched WCTH, you would know exactly what that refers too.

I loved that, after getting burned with WCTH, I had to stop that scene and replay because I could not believe what I just heard.  So awesome. 

Edited by free2think

So hopefully Good Witch will start again next month.  I wonder if they will finally get married, or find another way to drag it out.

Since Cassie's wedding has practically been her only storyline, where will they go from there if the wedding does happen?

1 hour ago, treeofdreams said:

Reminder - The new season begins today - and there will be another episode tomorrow.

I've got the series set to record on my DVR. I do have their last special (the one after they gifted their wedding) and was wondering if anyone knows if this special is required viewing. I got so disappointed in this series' continual pushing to delay and postpone as a drama device that I just lost interest in the special. Happy viewing, everyone.

The new episode last night was pretty dull. I don't know what Cassie finds appealing about Sam. He was so rude to the foster brother and just seems like kind of a jerk, in general. Sam's mother's hair--too long for a woman her age, jmo. Grace looked way too boobilicious in her bridesmaid's dress. Cassie's face looked very plumped up.

• Love 4

I realize that Hallmark Channel is all about weddings these days, but I hope they finally get this over with for Cassie.  Her wedding has been the focus of the show for far too long.  I hope they haven't been doing this because they have run out of other ideas.

I agree about Grace's dress, not quite right for the occasion.  Perhaps they wanted to emphasize that she is growing up so they can give her more grown up storylines.

I think they have also played up the Abigail as mayor storyline as far as they can (it never was believable), and hope they can get Martha back where she belongs.

The Forever Tree story seems off - that famous a tree, that is part of the Merriwick/Middleton mythology, and no one knows where it is?  How much of Middleton is left unexplored?

Far too many commercials!  I am surprised they were able to get as much story in between commercials as they did.

Let's get the wedding over with tonight and move on!  Please!

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Pegasaurus said:

Agree with all of this and could add even more.

This was very dull.  What's wrong with the writers?  These people simply wander around this lovely little town doing nothing.  Why doesn't the former mayor just sell her house in the other town and buy another one firmly in Middleton.  Then get her job back, lose the stupid purse, and shut her mouth for once.

I think Catherine Bell was pregnant when this was filmed, hence the puffy face. 

Oh gosh, I don't think she was/is pregnant. As far as I know, she has two children, is divorced and is in a relationship with a woman. And she is 50 years old. She has had a lot of plastic surgery. I was just assuming the puffy face was due to fillers. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Well, that is interesting! No idea if that is true or not. Now I will be watching what she wears on the show to see if she is concealing a bump. 🙂 Does anyone know when these episodes were filmed? 

Whew!  The wedding is finally over!

Now what?  Ever since the series began the focus has been on Cassie and Sam's courtship and wedding.  Where do they go from here?

This season so far (all two episodes!) has seemed more of an ensemble show, with all the other characters and their storylines, rather than featuring Cassie (at least until the wedding scene).  Since I have found the other characters far more interesting than the constant will they/ won't they wedding, this is a good thing.  Adding several new characters this season, along with the regulars, doesn't leave too much time for whatever they are going to give to Cassie.  Although, maybe if the above posted rumor is true, either 1.) Cassie will be pregnant, though she and Sam seem a bit old to start yet another family, or 2) Catherine will not be in the show as much.  We shall see. 

Some other thoughts:

Cassie's wedding dress was beautiful.

So was Grace responsible for all the things going wrong, as she feared?

The white horse leading them to the Forever Tree - who didn't see that coming?

I agree with the above post - why doesn't Martha just move into Middleton, if she really wants to be mayor again?  Or will they continue with her new career as professional advice giver?  She never seems to stick with anything very long.  (I could see the storyline being that she keeps giving advice that goes wrong and gets fired.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

Whew!  The wedding is finally over!

Now what?  Ever since the series began the focus has been on Cassie and Sam's courtship and wedding.  Where do they go from here?

Honestly, those two episodes should have been aired together as a series finale last year. It would have been a good stopping point.

• Love 5

I finally watched these last night and, maybe all the negative comments made me brace too much for bad episodes, because I actually ended up liking them.  

As usual, I'm bummed there's no more Laurie, and that other characters are missing, such as Cassie's foster mom. But, overall, I enjoyed this little two-part story.  

Has anyone told Nick that you don't just go to school and major in video game design?  You have to take math and computer engineering, I would imagine. 

I like the new foster brother, Vincent.  I agree Sam was a jerk to him. 

• Love 1

I don't think they were bad episodes; I still enjoy watching the show.  I guess I am expressing a disappointment with the way the show has shifted from the beginning, so I get picky about the little things.  (And I did get really tired of the everlasting wedding storyline.)  But I still record the show, and buy the DVDs, because overall I do like the series.

I will be interested to see what direction they take this season.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

I don't think they were bad episodes; I still enjoy watching the show.  I guess I am expressing a disappointment with the way the show has shifted from the beginning, so I get picky about the little things.  (And I did get really tired of the everlasting wedding storyline.)  But I still record the show, and buy the DVDs, because overall I do like the series.

I will be interested to see what direction they take this season.

I agree with all of this 100%.  I was really worried the writers had checked out for good, last season especially.

• Love 1
(edited)

They have had a lot of different writers - 22 listed on the IMDB.  I suppose that lines up with the changes in Cassie's character and the atmosphere of the show.

From a mysterious witch with a black cat named Isis and a witch's broom, who dressed in black, was truly magical, and had an occult shop (Bell, Book, and Candle - remember where that name comes from?) to a woman who dresses "normally" and whose shop has been completely transformed into a light, bright gift shop that no longer dispenses potions and oddities, the concept of a Good Witch has been consistently watered down.  Now it is pretty much just a romance show, for Cassie and all the other characters.  It is a pleasant show, just not what it originally was.

In short, Cassandra Nightingale, the Good Witch, has been Hallmarked.

Edited by treeofdreams
  • LOL 3
  • Love 7
34 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

In short, Cassandra Nightingale, the Good Witch, has been Hallmarked.

And it is a shame but I'm still watching because it's sweet and a nice retreat from my normal blood and guts shows.

• Love 3
On 6/10/2019 at 9:53 AM, Pickles said:

The new episode last night was pretty dull. I don't know what Cassie finds appealing about Sam. He was so rude to the foster brother and just seems like kind of a jerk, in general. Sam's mother's hair--too long for a woman her age, jmo. Grace looked way too boobilicious in her bridesmaid's dress. Cassie's face looked very plumped up.

Sam was (IS) a dick .  But maybe that's just his irl personality "shining" through...Grace's dress was ugly!!!, and her breast are not very firm for a young girl and she needed a bra.Very frumpy. The cousin and the friend vying over the same dress was hysterical! You couldn't make me wear/buy that FUGLY 1980's Walmart designed crap for anything! Holy crap, it was gross!! 

9 hours ago, Pepper the Cat said:

Dear Martha: You could run for Mayor in your new town.

Dear Grace: Please give your girls the support they need. 

Dear Sam. Treating your wife’s long lost foster brother like shit is not the way to start your marriage.

Amen. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 6/11/2019 at 10:53 PM, Pegasaurus said:

Agree with all of this and could add even more.

This was very dull.  What's wrong with the writers?  These people simply wander around this lovely little town doing nothing.  Why doesn't the former mayor just sell her house in the other town and buy another one firmly in Middleton.  Then get her job back, lose the stupid purse, and shut her mouth for once.

I think Catherine Bell was pregnant when this was filmed, hence the puffy face. 

I doubt she is pregnant she is kind of old for that, although, these days who knows...just look at Brigette Neilsen...but her face sure did look fat and puffy. Either from fillers, surgery or disease...I'll go with fillers or surgery, like most actresses.

• Love 3
(edited)

Gosh, I must be in a good mood this month -- I actually really liked The Honeymoon episode.  I mean, it wasn't perfect, and I missed Tom Tinsdale, but it seemed just a little more like the movies rather than the crappy writing of last season.

One thing I wish they would have done though is had the grapes rejuvenate after Cassie touched a vine or talked to the darned things.  Her garden was so amazing in The Good Witch's Garden.  She even believed her plants had magical properties and their own personalities.  They could have brought that back a bit here for us longtime fans of the show.  

I agree with what we've all been saying for years -- that the magic is watered down, and I agree with @Pegasaurus above, that now it is more like "Good Person" than "Good Witch. " 

Oh! One more thing -- I liked them wrapping up some of the continuity of last season, like what happened to Grace and Noah's relationship and, in the first episodes, Abigail's love interest and Stephanie's as well. 

I wish Derek would come back!

Edited by Cowgirl
Closed quotes are important!
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Pepper the Cat said:

I don’t understand what Grace was doing with her phone. She appeared to moving changing the date?

She was using her magical powers to fast forward two weeks, so she would not be so sad about the breakup with the boyfriend. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

Merciful heavens.  The Hallmark movie storylines have invaded the Good Witch.

First was the wedding storyline.  Last week it was the save-the-vineyard storyline.  Tonight it was the Prince of Cordonia visits Middleton incognito.  Which one is next??

What's up with Sam's hair?  Was I imagining it or has it changed - different haircut?  Dyed?  He has been looking old lately, are they trying to make him look younger?  Something was different.

And...Martha's back as mayor.  I don't understand all this moving the town line around willy-nilly, but as long as Abigail stops constantly complaining about being mayor, getting Martha back is good.  It's where she belongs.

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 10
(edited)

I assume that there is no phone service (land line or cell) between Middleton and Blairsville.  Whenever someone from one of those towns wants to take to someone from the other town they have to get in their car and meet face-to-face.

After last night's episode I decided to watch the first episode (season 1, episode 1).  I had forgotten about so many of those characters.  Remember the real estate agent who wanted to be more than friends with Cassie?  How about Grace's nerdy best friend?  Stephanie had a Southern accent.  There was a lot more of the "supernatural" too.  

Edited by ShelleySue
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

So who do we think the new mayoral intern is spying for?  I originally thought it might be the Blairsville mayor's father, but since it was the intern who informed Abigail that the property in question was the site of the Wishing Well and effectively killed the country club land deal, that doesn't seem likely.  Is there someone else with a grudge against the Merriwicks?

And by the way, for someone who "always gets what he wants", the father sure gave up in a hurry.

Edited by treeofdreams
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Gotta love how the prince just happened to pack his prince outfit in his duffle bag, even though he was trying to get away from his prince life. It looked rather ill fitting, also. How many librarians can afford to move out of their house while it is being painted and move into the local inn for several days? 

• LOL 9
  • Love 5
20 hours ago, Pickles said:

Gotta love how the prince just happened to pack his prince outfit in his duffle bag, even though he was trying to get away from his prince life. It looked rather ill fitting, also. How many librarians can afford to move out of their house while it is being painted and move into the local inn for several days? 

I'm sure that Cassie has a sliding fee scale for room rates.  It's nothing official, she just looks at or talks to someone and she senses what they can afford.  The real question is if she charged Sam's parents when they stayed there before the wedding.  Actually, the real question is how many bedrooms are in that place?  So far Cassie and Sam have a room.  Grace, Nick, George Abigail, and Vincent all have rooms too.  Then this past episode the prince and the librarian each had a room.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, ShelleySue said:

Actually, the real question is how many bedrooms are in that place?  So far Cassie and Sam have a room.  Grace, Nick, George Abigail, and Vincent all have rooms too.  Then this past episode the prince and the librarian each had a room.

When we have seen aerial shots of the building it goes quite far back and has room for lots of rooms.  And I think Nick was moving into some sort of attic that they were cleaning out for his stuff.

(edited)
On 6/23/2019 at 10:09 PM, treeofdreams said:

Merciful heavens.  The Hallmark movie storylines have invaded the Good Witch.

First was the wedding storyline.  Last week it was the save-the-vineyard storyline.  Tonight it was the Prince of Cordonia visits Middleton incognito.  Which one is next??

I was thinking the same thing, though I don't mind too much.  Let's see...we still have the single-minded-career-gal-is-won-over-by-the-handsome-competition trope, but they've laid the groundwork for that with Abigail's storyline.  There's the reunite-with-a-long-lost-family-member trope, but that could be covered by Vincent's arrival.  They will probably give Vincent some hidden depth next, and, if it also comes with previously-unheard-of wealth, we can cover another trope!

I was glad they revisited the topic of Cassie and Sam cooperating to help a patient. 

ETA:  Forget to mention the "interesting girl who is good with animals" trope, covered in the wedding episode.  Usually that animal is horses or dogs.  Why is it never Tasmanian devils or guinnea pigs? :) 

Edited by Cowgirl
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
(edited)

Am I the only one who has a mental picture of the writers/producers offices at Hallmark having either dart boards or roulette wheels to spin so they know which plot points to use this time?

You know; 'hey great, let's go with a plucky but down on her luck leading lady (25-30ish, pretty but not intimidatingly so) who needs a job/place to live/to save the family business which is a bakery/quaint restaurant/coffee shop/vineyard/B&B. She meets a handsome stranger when her car breaks down/bumps into him spilling whatever she and he are carrying/while dropping her nieces and nephews/babysitting charges off at school. He's in town to escape the expectations of his family/company/royal position--likely a prince-- which he feels obligated to fulfill but but secretly wishes to paint/be a photographer/chef.  It's almost Halloween/Christmas/Valentine's day but she'll show him why it's vital to embrace hometown traditions and values. He sees the error of his mercenary/spoiled/business obsessed ways and connect while fireworks/a sunset/the town festival swirls around them.

Or, alternately, plot B: She's a hard driving up and coming business professional working as a realtor/company PR hack/dedicated brilliant doctor who has forgotten her humanity when she's assigned a visit to a bucolic small town around Christmas/4th of July/fall festival/spring Azalea blowout to finalize the demolition of the town's beloved inn/gazebo/park/beloved mom and pop restaurant/bakery which is run/protected/being rehabbed by a handsome local carpenter/photographer/chef who embraces local values and the beauty of a simple/homespun life. By the end she's become a believer and they smile/kiss at the celebration gala/country barn dance/fireworks display.

Cut and paste to any current movie of the week or TV show in production.

Is it just me?

Edited by Beden
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1

So now that Cassie and Sam are finally married, they are going to have separate storylines?  That's the second episode that Sam is off at the hospital being a doctor.  At least last time Cassie was included, to diagnose the "broken heart".

I did wonder what kind of storylines there would be for them now that the never-ending wedding finally happened, but it didn't occur to me that they might go in separate directions.  I wonder if they will keep that up and focus more on the other characters.  (To be honest, I think the other characters are more interesting, so that's fine with me.)

• Love 1