Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3 Discussion

Well, I hadn't seen BrBad before, until last week I started a marathon on netflix. I'm up to S3 now, and if anyone is out there and would like to talk, I'm here. I've had to stay away from other discussion sites and such because I am afraid of getting spoiled...anyways I just finished ep10.

• Love 1

I just started a marathon of this show as well. I just finished S4. I also had to stay away from sites because I don't want to be spoiled, even though I started this show late.

• Love 1

Three of my favorite Breaking Bad moments that were in Season 3

1. The school assembly in the premiere when Walt, desperate to convince himself that nothing really bad happened, nor that he was responsible, rambles on that the plane crash was really only the 50th (or 53rd) deadliest plane crash in history, that no one remembers or talks about Tenerife anymore (the deadliest plane crash in history) and that life wlil go on.  Bonus points when Carmen, the assistant principal, told the students they could talk about anything and one started talking about God, she immediately shut that down.

2. Mike's speech to Walt where the moral of the story was that Mike used a half measure when he should have gone all the way.

3. Walt's full measured response.

• Love 4

Cast your minds back…way back…

to when the Salamanca brothers stole the clothes off the farmer's clothesline, then hung their car keyring on the goat's horn. Did they mean to:

1. Give the farmer's family that car?

2. Or would the bros be coming back for it?

It's always puzzled me.

• Love 2

Wow, the scene where Hank is pursued by the Cousins was a nail-biter! So well done. So was the scene where Walt saves Jesse from getting killed. Actually, there were so many great scenes, I can't list them all.

I loved the season, but I think I preferred the symmetry of Season 2, and the two guys (Walt and Jesse) struggling to make  go of it in a very uncertain world. Now that they have a superlab and are beholden to higher powers, it's a whole different vibe. I can understand Jesse wanting to go back to running his own crew, rather than buy a business and pay taxes, but he was being pretty stupid thinking he could skim some of the product. I thought that's what would end up biting him in the ass, but the show is so good at surprising us, it was discovering Carbo's murderer that threw the monkey wrench into the works.

Gus is such an ice man -- he gives good creep. I was glad to hear Gus tell those two dealers "no more children," but wouldn't be surprised if killing the kid was a proper interpretation of that order, despite what he told Walt.

Gale -- I would love to know how he got recruited. I can understand (not to agree with) his libertarian stance in theory, but he was ill-equipped to deal with the lawlessness and danger inherent in the drug trade. I felt so bad when Walt ordered Jesse to shoot him -- knowing what it will do to Jesse, who blamed himself for Jane's death, and this is SO much more personal responsibility.

I had to look up information on meth, since I knew only the basics, and that a lot of girls in foster care are named "Crystal" -- you can guess why. I had no idea it was considered a neurotoxin. **shudder** Might as well be snorting rat poison. I had to laugh when in the fly episode, Jesse tells Walt that their customers do not CARE about purity -- if they did, do you think they'd be taking meth? LOL, good point.

I also laughed when the eminently qualified Gale was fired supposedly for being too "jazz," while Walt was "classical," then Jesse comes in all "Yo!" and "Oh wow, we should have ditched the RV months ago! It’s all like SHINY up in here!” And the sequence where Walt is at the hospital and Jesse is SO bored, and does things like fill up his yellow suit with the air gun! He cracks me up.

Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 4

I was watching the season again and I had forgotten the thing between Skyler and Ted went beyond an IFT into a full fledged affair.

Super Lab ho! The look on Walt's face when he first sees is like a kid in a candy shop.

I like this season because Walt was bound to fun into bigger sharks then he. It is the nature of things. It is the nature of life. Walt started out wanting to sell a little meth to cushion his family and now he is being asking to produce by the pound.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2
Guest Accused Dingo

Season 3 is the season where Skyler breaks bad. I was watching Kafkaesque and My God! What a beautiful lie she spins for Marie. I love that she leverages family to get Walt to pay for Hanks care. Everything makes sense with her gambling lie. Perfect Perfect sense. The best part however is when Walt asks her how she came up with the lie and she shakes her head, shrugs and says she learned from the best.

Edited by Accused Dingo
  • Love 2

"Sunset" is an example of an episode that might not be extraordinary for Breaking Bad on the page -- stories are being set up or moved along; probably the only thing that actually happens that is historically significant is the final appearance of the RV, unless debuting characters Gale and Old Joe become very important (I am still working through the box) -- but it is made extraordinary by the direction and the photography. Really bravura work there: the suspense of the restaurant scenes, the tension of the RV standoff, the shafts of light coming through the bullet holes as Hank rips the tape off them one by one, the long shot of Gus and the Cousins coming to terms at the end. This has been one of my favorites just to look at. It elevates a good script.  

• Love 3

Finished season three. I've seen shows get better over time, but this is a unique case when a lot of what I specifically did not like got fixed, almost as though the notes in my head were being read and acted upon. Don't get me wrong, I liked season one and loved season two, but I remember thinking close to the end of season two that it was all a bit pat and schematic -- Gilligan et al. were putting the theme of moral ambiguity out on display more than they were delving into it and examining it the way The Wire did. Season three goes a lot deeper, and it has some of the best episodes so far. I especially loved "One Minute," "Fly," and "Full Measures." The symbolism is getting more elegant, not quite as spelled out. For example, I loved Jesse on the precariously balanced ladders, in danger because of a Walt obsession that has now infected (contaminated) him, and Walt is supposed to be the one steadying the ladders, but he's nodding off (and Jesse is partly responsible for that). It fits naturally into the plot of that episode, but you can see as it as, literally, an illustration of something bigger.  

I do see the seams sometimes. Walt talking in "Fly" about the astonishing coincidence of his running into Jane's dad in the bar seemed like an attempt to (1) belatedly spin something that was contrived at the time, and (2) prepare a softer landing for the subsequent eye-roller of Jesse getting involved with the sister of Combo's killer ("I know this seems highly unlikely, but gee, just a couple episodes they had the main character talking about the astonishing coincidences of the universe, so I guess it's consistent!").  

Aaron Paul is so, so wonderful in this show. I have warmed up to Marie. She's a busybody and a know-it-all, but she's fiercely, sincerely loving, to Hank and to her whole family. It's hard to watch this stretch of Hank treating her so callously during his rehab. I hope he doesn't cause a relapse. "In a bizarre turn of events, department stores all over Albuquerque are reporting shoplifting of clothes and accessories that all have one thing in common: the color purple."  

ETA: That Association song, "Windy," was like a gift to this show, 40+ years early. I don't like musical choices that are too dead-center (for example, I loathed Krazy-8 running face-first into the tree right at the moment Clyde McPhatter sang "Baby, you knock me out!"), but that Wendy-the-hooker montage was both amusing and heartbreaking, brilliantly cut, and I was with it the whole way. Yes, even when they were showing her going down to blow the first guy while the singer's words were "Who's bending down to give me a rainbow?"

Edited by Simon Boccanegra
  • Love 5
It's hard to watch this stretch of Hank treating her so callously during his rehab.

When I first watched this episode, I thought Hank was really harsh the way he treated Marie.  However, upon rewatch, I think that Hank was disgusted and frustrated with Marie because, once again, he had to get her out of trouble for shoplifting.   He just didn't need that crap.

I remember that Vince Gilligan got complaints about "Fly" and I hadn't actually seen it all yet. There's a lot of symbolism, but there's also some character development in there. When Jesse was talking about his aunt, I started to understand how he could be so loyal to Walt. Jesse is kind of a caretaker at heart, but he's also easily led astray. Jane was straight up bad for him even though she ended up getting the worse end of the deal. Then Walt kept talking about the "perfect moment" where he could have dropped dead with a moderate pile of cash and his family would be financially secure. There are no perfect moments on this show, however. For every Hail Mary plan of Walt's that works flawlessly, there are at least 2 that fail miserably, just not enough to end him.

Then there's Mike. I'm glad he's on Better Call Saul. While Gus thought he could handle Walt, Mike didn't put up with his shit. Still, Walt always seemed to get the upper hand. At the end of the season, Walt is in remission, $2 million richer and in mortal danger of being murdered by a drug cartel.

• Love 1
(edited)

Having just mainlined season 3, I have to admit I was truly amazed by Gus. A mild, unassuming chicken merchant who scores a brilliant coup on the Mexican cartel - when you realise he probably built the new lab with the intention of betraying the cartel, you realise what a long term player he really is (and what a great poker face he has). Of course, he also shows how ruthless he can be when Walt realises he's training Gale to replace him and that Walt will then be a loose end... and Gus hates lose ends.

We also get Jesse's first kill (I think) as well as seeing his soft spot for kids - we even see his soft spot for Walt when he (wrongly) treats Walt's actions in "The Fly" as being a sign his cancer has returned. And for the first time, I actually liked Skyler (pointing out that it would be a huge red flag to the IRS for Walt to suddenly buy the Lazertag place). Hank showed his badass side when he took out the cousins with only a minute's notice and unarmed. Even Marie was tolerable!

ETA: I really didn't get why Jesse keeps on cooking. Walt I can see (a combination of pride and wanting to provide for his family) but for Jesse, it just seems like he gets all the disadvantages of working (having to show up every day, crappy boss) without ever getting to enjoy the benefits. If it were me, I'd be going "Well, easy street for me, lazing on my $10000 sofa looking at my 50" surround sound TV!"

Edited by John Potts
  • Love 1

On my most recent re-watch, I think my favorite episode of the entire show is "One Minute."  There's the INTENSE shootout with Hank and the twins, you get confirmation that Gus is working against the cartel, and Jesse rips into Walt when he's in the hospital after Hank beats the hell out of him.  It doesn't have the emotional toll of "Ozymandias," but from start to finish, it was perfect.

• Love 2

ETA: I really didn't get why Jesse keeps on cooking. Walt I can see (a combination of pride and wanting to provide for his family) but for Jesse, it just seems like he gets all the disadvantages of working (having to show up every day, crappy boss) without ever getting to enjoy the benefits. If it were me, I'd be going "Well, easy street for me, lazing on my $10000 sofa looking at my 50" surround sound TV!"

If we're talking up to season 3, it's because he's house-poor. He spent all his money getting the aunt's house from his parents. Sure, he probably could have try to get a regular (read: low paying) job, like that sign spinner job he turned down before. But hey, this is an impulsive & unambitious guy we're talking about - he's used to making quick stacks from meth, so of course he chose to solo cook in his RV instead of stocking groceries or spinning signs. The plan was short lived though, since he lost the RV due to Hank being hot on his trail.

I still think it's funny how Jesse was angry about getting ripped off with the 500k a month income. Cooking a large batch of Blue is easy, especially when all the supplies and equipment are provided for. But Jesse, being the guy he is, only thought of how much he used to get per pound (or teenth). He didn't figure into the calculation that he lacks the network and infrastructure to peddle 200-lb worth of product on a weekly basis.

• Love 2

Heh. Thanks very much for your answers.

I'm now up to Season 3. Talk about binging. I just watched the scene where Pinkman tried to throw a rock through Walt's winshield and failed - as usual.

My question still remains the same. If I was Walt, I would approach Gus with an idea about getting rid of Pinkman (in any way at all). Surely he could make that happen.

• Love 1

I just got my first genuine LOL from this show. Remember when Mike broke into that warehouse/office and shot 3 guys? He walked into a back room where a little old man (Chinese or Philipino) was tied up in a chair and one other bad guy was hiding in another room. Mike raised and lowered his gun according to eye movements of the man in the chair until he nodded and then .... LOL!   Very good laugh.

Also, I was very happy when it appeared that Jesse was out of the picture. I should have known better that wouldn't last too long and sure enough ... he came back and everything is messed up again. Whenever Jesse says something like, "I got it all figured out", everyone should know it would be easier to just put a bullet into his brain than deal with the consequences.

There was one episode ("Fly") that was a total mystery. It had no good action, no good plot development and no good anything else. I just couldn't figure it out. It was near the end of Season 3 and every other episode (especially after the first season) was really good. Most were even excellent. But unless I was missing the point completely, what the Heck was Fly about? It just seemed like a total mystery to me.

• Love 1
(edited)

@AliShibaz I'm not especially a fan of Fly either; the only thing that really happened that's worthwhile (IMO) is that Walt almost confessed about Jane.

I ended up liking Jesse, but I don't know how it happened considering how much he worked my nerves in the first couple seasons.  I felt like if I had to hear "yo" or "bitch" one more time I was going to go through the screen and smack him!  What I don't understand, and maybe it's because I know nothing about meth cooking, is why Walt even needed an assistant.  I know he needed Jesse in the beginning to take care of distribution, but once he was involved with Gus, what was the point?  Why did Gus keep Gale once he hired Walt?  Is an assistant that necessary?  It seems to me that Walt could have taught Gale his method and they could have worked in shifts, producing twice as much.

Edited by ByTor

There was one episode ("Fly") that was a total mystery. It had no good action, no good plot development and no good anything else.

If you're interested in behind the scenes info about the show, I really recommend the Breaking Bad Insider Podcast*.  If I remember correctly, the "Fly" episode was conceived as a "bottle" episode as way to save money as they were tight on budget. (I think the criteria for a bottle episode is that all of the action takes place in only one set, with limited characters.) I also seem to recall that, budget-wise, it was a failure, as all the weird camera angles, etc. required a lot more money than they expected and they went over anyway.

*The podcast has all kinds of cool information about the shots they used and how they found locations, etc.  If you're interested in how the show gets made, it's definitely worth a listen.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Eeksquire said:

I also seem to recall that, budget-wise, it was a failure, as all the weird camera angles, etc. required a lot more money than they expected and they went over anyway.

That's very interesting.  From my untrained eye, visually it didn't look like anything special to me.

It bugs me that the 2 lowlife drug dealers that killed Combo know who Gus is! I thought no one knew this guy and he was careful careful careful. You only got to him through a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy. How would he have ever met those 2 dealers? He doesn't distribute it himself in person. If his street level dealers knew who he is the minute they get picked up they say who Gus is and can go free on a plea bargain. It made NO sense and is really bugging me. To move that much meth he must have a thousand of these street corner guys and none of them would know who the top man is, Dumb! In fact too many people seem to know Chicken Man is the big boss

• Love 2

What I realized the other day is that Walt and Jesse expended needless angst and could have easily avoided Gus's wrath when it came to the disposal of Gale Boettecher.    What's more, Jesse was placed in the position of having to shoot Gale when Walt could have easily handled everything right there in the lab.

Gale and Walt were working side by side every day, even as Walt knew that Gus was grooming Gale to be his replacement.   It never occurred to evil genius Walter White to quietly dose Gale's coffee or lunch with ricin?   A day later Gale's calling in sick.   The End.

True, the ricin would have also killed a great deal of dramatic tension.   But ricin as a subtle form of assassination was by that point well-established in the show.   In retrospect, it seems a bit sloppy that Walt didn't at least float the idea, then shoot it down for one reason or another.

On 5/9/2016 at 11:33 PM, AliShibaz said:

There was one episode ("Fly") that was a total mystery. It had no good action, no good plot development and no good anything else. I just couldn't figure it out. It was near the end of Season 3 and every other episode (especially after the first season) was really good. Most were even excellent. But unless I was missing the point completely, what the Heck was Fly about? It just seemed like a total mystery to me.

I deliberately skipped The Fly on this most recent rewatch.   I sat through it the first time, and the second.   No more.

On 5/10/2016 at 1:55 PM, ByTor said:

I ended up liking Jesse, but I don't know how it happened considering how much he worked my nerves in the first couple seasons.  I felt like if I had to hear "yo" or "bitch" one more time I was going to go through the screen and smack him!  What I don't understand, and maybe it's because I know nothing about meth cooking, is why Walt even needed an assistant. 

Jesse was no saint, but he was the conscience of the show.   He embodied qualities like loyalty, conviction and adherence to his principles even under the threat of death.  Jesse was the only person to look Gus in the face and say "No" to making peace with the street dealers.   Ditto to Gus' plan to kill Walt.    He also had a lot of integrity, refusing to be belittled by anyone whether it was the police, DEA, Saul Goodman, Walt or Mike.   He was fiercely loyal to Andrea and Brock and his own little brother.    He was strong, too.   Nobody ever broke him.  Even when he was beaten and chained in the meth lab at the end, he never truly gave up. 

• Love 2

I'm also rewatching it right now and am wondering a couple of things.

A friend thinks the scene where Jesse is at the Georgia O'Keefe musuem with Jane didn't really happen, that it's just a dream. In my other (three?) rewatches of the show it does seem like they never went, which I'm basing solely on the fact that the last time it's brought up is by Jesse in an attempt to get Jane out of her drug stupor, but she just rolls over and goes back to sleep. A few episodes ago they showed Jesse finding one of Jane's cigarette butts in his car's ashtray, and then during Abiquiu there's a focus on it after Jane stubs it out after the visit to the museum, so I'm going back and forth again about whether it really did occur. (There's also some sort of subtext in what she's saying about doors and perfection, which unfortunately goes over my head!)

Something else I'm not clear on is whether or not Gus has children. He talks to Walter about doing what's necessary for your children, and later, when he has Walter over to dinner, mentions children not liking the fish stew he's making. The consensus I've read in the past seems to be that he is talking in generalities and not about having kids of his own. However, as I'm watching the dinner episode tonight, Walter walks by a room that has children's toys in it. I must have forgotten that from my first viewing and not noticed it again until this time.

• Love 1

To your first point, I assumed the scene at the museum was a flashback to something that happened offscreen.

Secondly, I assumed Gus did have children/a child.

(There's also some sort of subtext in what she's saying about doors and perfection, which unfortunately goes over my head!)

In this scene, Jesse keeps talking about redoing something until it was perfect.  To him the point was perfecting the product. What Jane kept trying to convey is that it was not just about painting the doors at all.  The end wasn't perfecting a product, it was the journey that mattered the journey and the experience of creating again and again. AND the significance of the study of doors in Georgia O'keefe work is the door not as a wooden thing. but rather more broadly The door as a passage. The door as a transition, the door as and entry or exit from the known to the unknown.  And this show if FULL of that.

• Love 3