Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E10: Top 24 Celebrity Duets

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, Real4real said:

This!  As the show has progressed, I am becoming more and more convinced that "off-stage" Catie is an act that she is playing and the end game is the "miraculous" transformation she will make.  She won't even need to lose 10 pounds--she just needs to wear clothes that fit her!  Seriously, her clothes look like she picked them out of the dumpster behind Goodwill.  So bad.

The day she said "I dress like a Grandpa" I thought that was a definite slip indicating some self-awareness and deliberation/calculation in presenting herself.

• Love 4

I know I'm in the minority, but I can't stand Cade. I love hard rock, but he just oversings/overgrowls everything to make it sound "rock." There's no subtlety or modulation. Meh.

• Love 9

I love hard rock, but he just oversings/overgrowls everything to make it sound "rock."

Yes, it remains to be seen if he can do anything else. Can he pull off a 'Music of the Night' /David Cook or 'Mad World'/Adam Lambert? 

I don't care enough to do any research, but wonder if he does any songwriting, since he hasn't volunteered to perform an original. Of course he could be saving that for later.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

Yes, it remains to be seen if he can do anything else. Can he pull off a 'Music of the Night' /David Cook or 'Mad World'/Adam Lambert? 

I don't care enough to do any research, but wonder if he does any songwriting, since he hasn't volunteered to perform an original. Of course he could be saving that for later.

I'd be surprised, honestly, if he could pull off anything like that. I forgot to mention that he under-enunciates, another thing that drives me nuts. Lyrics matter (not to everyone, but to me). I hate when I can't understand the words at all.

• Love 3
On 4/10/2018 at 11:24 AM, WhineandCheez said:

(wipes away sentimental tear) My favorite was always Simon saying, "It's like some ghastly cruise ship show," or "It's like some ghastly dinner theater show." And remember The Seal (for old TVwoP fogies still on here)

I still like to "make things my own dog."

Also, let us not forget Ca-a-a-a-a-armen and Tsathy. (The good old days indeed). 

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, jpgr said:

I know I'm in the minority, but I can't stand Cade. I love hard rock, but he just oversings/overgrowls everything to make it sound "rock." There's no subtlety or modulation. Meh.

I just started watching again after skipping it for SEVERAL seasons.  Not a Ryan Seacrest fan, so the less of him the better.   I'm loving the judges...especially Katy Perry (and I'm old enough to be her grandmother...her OLD grandmother).  Poor Cade.  If they still do makeovers and cut his hair, he'll have very little going for him.  Poor Cade.

On 4/10/2018 at 8:24 AM, WhineandCheez said:

(wipes away sentimental tear) My favorite was always Simon saying, "It's like some ghastly cruise ship show," or "It's like some ghastly dinner theater show." And remember The Seal (for old TVwoP fogies still on here)

I still quote Simon saying, "That was indulgent!" when only the singer could actually have thought the performance/song choice/reworking sounded good. I think that is true of a lot of these contestants. They need some serious critiques, and I hope they are forthcoming.

• Love 5
On 4/9/2018 at 7:45 PM, ECM1231 said:

Quirky Catie? Eh. I am still on the fence about her.

On 4/10/2018 at 11:15 AM, Real4real said:

As the show has progressed, I am becoming more and more convinced that "off-stage" Catie is an act that she is playing and the end game is the "miraculous" transformation she will make.

I think we're seeing the real thing, but wonder if her odd behaviors have been evaluated by school counselors.  She sure is a FORCE when she heads for a hug!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, jpgr said:

I liked him at first, but now his growling has begun to annoy me. Really, you don't have to growl Every. Single. Line. Can one of the judges please tell him this? Simon would have. Heck, I bet even Harry would have told him by now.

• Love 1

I liked Catie.  She might be a little on the Asperger's spectrum.  That would explain how she can sing very well (vocal pattern recognition), but also why she has a distinct fashion style, and her emotional curve seems different.  It's also possible I'm wrong; time will tell.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, WhineandCheez said:

Omigod--Carmen aka Goat Throat.  Good times!! And Tsathy, lived under The Seal, right?  Anyone under 30 is thinking we are in Altzheimers territory at this point.

A very brilliant former poster (who is also an awesome writer anyway) created Carmen's Diary (actually, "Carmen's DAIRY") posts that year ... all about Clay, her "secret heart." That was some of the best writing ever on any website. I also remember around the same time diary posts by "North," Joe Millionaire's horse. And don't get me started on the Showbiz Moms and Dads (and the call of doom to poor Glark) and Paradise Hotel threads. Our awesome TWoP mods (many of whom I believe somehow survived to mod another day here at PTV) had their hands full with us. We're much better behaved now (cough). But maybe we would have been better off sending flowers to our mods than roses to Charla (which one VERY active ex-TWoPer did for Charla of Paradise Hotel IIRC ... not too stalky or anything). 

But it was definitely the American Idol thread there that started it all ... 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, marketdoctor said:

I liked Catie.  She might be a little on the Asperger's spectrum.  That would explain how she can sing very well (vocal pattern recognition), but also why she has a distinct fashion style, and her emotional curve seems different.  It's also possible I'm wrong; time will tell.

I've been thinking the exact same thing.

• Love 2

I liked Catie.  She might be a little on the Asperger's spectrum.  That would explain how she can sing very well (vocal pattern recognition), but also why she has a distinct fashion style, and her emotional curve seems different.  It's also possible I'm wrong; time will tell.

I've been thinking the exact same thing.

Make me 3 on this theory, HOWEVER, it's not cool to just name anybody who is odd/dorky as Aspberger's , (but it's totally cool to do it here!)

And don't get me started on the Showbiz Moms and Dads (and the call of doom to poor Glark) 

There isn't enough Glarkware to wipe out the memories from that show.  That had to be the best all around Forum comment wise, ever!  I wonder if Duncan still has no idea, 7 kids and 18 years later, that he is gay???

• Love 2

Catie seems the opposite of Aspergers to me.

That's why I thought she isn't very far down the spectrum if she is--she has some but not all of the signs.  Maybe that's because most people do, and we're seeing the 1% of her life that fits a pattern.  (That's why we should never diagnose someone from edited television.)

While I recognized the singer from Train and the country band, Sugarland, I had never heard of the rest of the mentors. I haven't actually listened to any new music in the last 10-15 years, so I'm way behind the times, musically. Are these two bands even popular, anymore? Are any of the mentors more than C or D rated artists?

Also, I wonder if Catie is ADHD? All 5 of mine were & several of my grandchildren are, and most of them had Catie's outgoing personality and lack of social skills as younger children. By the time they were in high school, my children had been socialized or ostracized out of that behavior, but Catie may have had enough emotional support to allow it to continue. 

Edited by Nysha

Catie is a goddam (tm Holden Caulfield) ACT,  people!

She interacted with the audience and her duet partner as a seasoned pro.  Mic drop,  anybody?

She shows happiness,  enthusiasm, and joie de vivre!

So she deliberately dresses weird.  When did kookiness become a diagnosis of a mental/behavioral problem? And does Katie Perry (Cindy Lauder,  Lady Gaga,  Alice Cooper,  Marilyn Manson,  etc., etc.) know of this?

It's called "Standing out in a very crowded field. Getting your attention.  Being noticed and remembered."

Quick--try to picture each of the departed six and the remaining twelve.

Exactly. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

It's called "Standing out in a very crowded field. Getting your attention.  Being noticed and remembered."

Quick--try to picture each of the departed six and the remaining twelve.

Yes. At this point, and with such a drastically reduced number of episodes (compared to original flavor AI) , most viewers are still probably identifying the remaining crew with descriptions like 'Hair', 'Prison Coveralls', 'Peroxide Blonde', 'Latina', 'Tall Guy', etc.. In the old days it always used to take me until about Top 12  to start remembering everyone's name.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Yes. At this point, and with such a drastically reduced number of episodes (compared to original flavor AI) , most viewers are still probably identifying the remaining crew with descriptions like 'Hair', 'Prison Coveralls', 'Peroxide Blonde', 'Latina', 'Tall Guy', etc.. In the old days it always used to take me until about Top 12  to start remembering everyone's name.

Maybe most, but not me.  In the past, in the days when I watched every episode including all the auditions, all the contestants ran together and I had trouble remembering them, too, until around the top 12.  But this year these top 24 episodes were the first ones I watched and even a week later, I not only remember the names of the contestants who were cut, I remember what they looked like - and I have been lamenting lately that my memory is not what it used to be.  The only thing I can attribute this to is that the AI section of my brain wasn't cluttered with all the audition detritus.  

I don't know if Catie's shtick is designed to make her memorable or not, but I do know I'm uncomfortable with trying to diagnose if she's on the spectrum based on what I've seen on a "reality" TV show.

• Love 1
On 4/11/2018 at 1:39 AM, marykat71702 said:

Umm. that was Gabby. Maddie wasn't on this week.

This! So much this!

I’m not at the point of knowing names it seems.  Gabby needs a hair makeover stat. I think she’s going to Carrie Underwood her way right through.  

• Love 1

Gabby reminds me too much of Jax. The whole "I'm blonde and I sing loud and I'm trying really HARD and I'm cool and blonde and I can turn a single note into five different notes and I'm shouty and did you notice my blonde hair?"

• Love 6

Finally caught up on the episode earlier today. 

Catie & Andy Grammer - I think she did a relatively good job of keeping up with him. This was a good upbeat way to start the show. Didn't necessarily do anything for her vocally but entertaining.

Cade & Bishop Briggs - I think she was a pretty generous duet partner in this. It was a lot of screaming and try-hard from both of them. Not a fan.

Layla & Sugarland - Poor Layla, she got swallowed in that, but she's a tiny 16-year-old up against Jennifer Nettles. I've never liked that song. But it was cute I guess.

Dominique & Aloe Blacc - Overall decent. They sounded pretty much alike in this.

Brandon & Luis Fonsi - Actually quite a nice performance.

Kay Kay & Pat Monahan - A really strange pairing but it kind of worked. Not the best song for her but it wasn't bad.

Trevor & Bishop Briggs - This was a better choice than the INXS song but meh, I still think Trevor isn't cutting it. Deservedly eliminated.

Michelle & Luis Fonsi - A bit of an odd song choice but it was overall pretty good. Michelle has an interesting tone but her voice was weak on this song. Her voice could have been stronger and more powerful. Don't think she should have advanced.

Jonny & Andy Grammer - A bland WGWG performance by 2 bland WGWGs. Yawn. Jonny shouldn't have advanced either.

Dennis & Allen Stone - Probably the best duet of the night. Both evenly matched vocalists. This was really something special. Each singer brought his own unique style to the song and made it work together.

Michael & Pat - Not the best song and again, another odd pairing. But Michael did pretty well with it IMO.

Gabby & Sugarland - This was probably Gabby's best effort to date, but she sounded best when singing with Jennifer. The harmonies were very nice. If they had to have a female country singer this season, as much as I don't really like Gabby, I do think she's at least better than Layla.

Eliminations: Overall I agree with the results. Jonny and Michelle are the weak links IMO. But I understand choosing Michelle for performance and Jonny I guess for potential? Cuteness? Layla looked pissed lol

Group 2 definitely has the stronger contestants.

On ‎04‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:19 PM, Nessie said:

I don't know if Catie's shtick is designed to make her memorable or not, but I do know I'm uncomfortable with trying to diagnose if she's on the spectrum based on what I've seen on a "reality" TV show.

I wouldn't try to diagnose her (or anyone else) by watching her on a tv show.  All I know is that I find her voice and her songwriting skills to be very good, and her antics to be extremely off-putting.

• Love 3