Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E04: Eggs Over, Not Easy

A crucial moment for Becky's surrogacy arrangement forces her and Darlene to critically assess each other's lives; an animal rescue organization rejects Jackie's application to adopt a puppy; Roseanne devises a plan to change their mind.

• Love 1

I liked the references to previous seasons. Darlene told DJ he was never allergic to dogs, which is a throwback to the episode where DJ’s friend’s mom gives him their dog and Roseanne tries to give it back. Another throwback: Jackie going to the clinic with Becky and asking her the questions on the clipboard is reminiscent of Jackie going to the clinic with Becky when she asked for birth control, except this time Roseanne didn’t go with them. 

Edited by Alexis2291
I just remembered that there was no mention of DJ being allergic to dogs in the older episode I’m referring to.
  • Love 15

Rosanne said she had a baby in her 40’s?  I only watched the early seasons,  did she have another child later on?  

I am 43 and never had kids.  Kind of regret it now but at the same time glad I don’t or I’d never stop worrying about them.  

• Love 12
1 minute ago, Alexis2291 said:

I liked the references to previous seasons. Darlene told DJ he was never allergic to dogs, which is a throwback to the episode where DJ’s friend’s mom gives him their dog and Roseanne tries to give it back. Another throwback: Jackie going to the clinic with Becky and asking her the questions on the clipboard is reminiscent of Jackie going to the clinic with Becky when she asked for birth control, except this time Roseanne didn’t go with them. 

I thought they missed an obvious connection to that episode. Roseanne made DJ get rid of it because it was a lot of work to have a dog and etc. She never said anything about him being allergic to it.

• Love 10
Just now, Laurie4H said:

Rosanne said she had a baby in her 40’s?  I only watched the early seasons,  did she have another child later on?  

Yes, in the eighth season they had another baby, Jerry Garcia Conner. They mentioned in the first episode here that he's now on a fishing boat where apparently they don't get phone calls.

• Love 14
3 minutes ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

I thought they missed an obvious connection to that episode. Roseanne made DJ get rid of it because it was a lot of work to have a dog and etc. She never said anything about him being allergic to it.

Yeah, I was going to go back and edit my comment, lol. You’re right, there was no mention of DJ being allergic to dogs but I remember he wanted to keep it really bad and Roseanne said no.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, tribeca said:

Becky ran away and married Mark when she was 17 so what teachers did she date ? 

I wondered about that, too. Did she try and take any community college classes at any point in the years afterward or something?

I wanted Becky to tell Darlene what was wrong with her. 

I would've been interested in that, too, yeah. Those issues aside, though, I did like them commiserating over how stalled their lives feel. Can kinda relate to that a bit.

The memory card for Quinn at the end was nice. 

• Love 17

All the references to Jackie not having anyone and being lonely obviously means that Andy doesn't exist.  Now that the surrogacy storyline is done, I guess this was the last we will see or Sarah Chalke.

• Love 16
6 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

It's OK if they say she slept around after Mark died, but she didn't sleep around before she met him.

I feel like they’re trying to make Becky sort of like Jackie. They made quite a few jokes about Jackie sleeping around in previous seasons. 

• Love 7

I was thinking during the episode "Why didn't they just have Becky work at the Lobo?". I saw something on Youtube where Lecy talked about the Lobo and seemed to foreshadow that the show would be returning there.

The Mexican restaurant seems so sitcomy and cliched. They only did it to have a "colourful" location and to get in some cheap Mexican jokes. It's like the Faberge egg. It's the whackiest, stupidest, most unrealistic thing that Andrea would ever give Becky, but it gave Jackie that line mispronouncing it.

• Love 16

This is was Michael Fishman said about when we will see more of DJ and his family:

4 minutes ago, HoboClayton said:

This is so strange, and my brain still doesn't know how to process this show being back, or the fact that people *gasp* haven't seen every episode 200 times! Haha! Still processing..

I completely agree.

• Love 12
12 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Becky wasn't slutty.  Boy crazy, yes.  

The way I see it you can say that after Mark died she spiraled.    I can buy her spending (whatever amount of time) stuck in the worst version of being twenty one because she is in so much pain after losing the one true love of her life.    Yes the Becky we knew was just boy crazy but losing the boy she loved most sent her spiraling into her worst instincts.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 19

I've never liked how they retconned Becky (going from very smart in middle and early high school to when she came back with Mark all of a sudden she's an idiot whis lucky to be able to tie her own shoes).  Retconning her to dating teachers and being a slut in high school is just in the same vein. 

• Love 24

I think the episode got a lot stronger after the revelation of Becky possibly never having kids, especially once Roseanne stopped shouting her lines. 

31 minutes ago, AM1418 said:

Just say how Mark died already! It’s driving me INSANE!! 

It seems like they're keeping it vague because they don't want to give an exact reason, but they did imply that Mark died very suddenly in their 20s if Becky has been this stuck since his death. I really loved the Becky/Darlene moments. I found their sister moments very sweet. I liked Dan standing up to Roseanne, followed by their tense small talk after. I do find it ridiculous that an older woman can't adopt a younger dog. I guess I understand the intent, but since we know the dog was going to Becky at some point, I did feel a little irritated by the woman (though it's her protocol). 

• Love 13

I really liked this episode. The first few episodes were kind of iffy on the writing and acting, but I expected that. I've found that the first few episodes of any show or basically like a rough draft -- passable but generally crap -- and the show starts to hit its stride around episode 4 or 5. I feel like this episode was that turning point. It started to feel more like a "real" show. The jokes felt less canned and forced, the actors seem to be settling back into their characters and the storyline felt genuine. I loved Becky and Darlene's moments -- more drunk sister bonding, please. From the episode title, I guessed beforehand that Becky was going to find out that her eggs weren't viable and she wouldn't be able to conceive a child. (Is that the end for Sarah Chalke's appearance?) And I assumed/hoped that this would lead to a discussion or at least a mention of how she and Mark had planned to have children someday and he died before they got around to someday and now she knows it'll never happen for her. I was pleased that they actually did discuss this. But for the love of God, just tell us how and approximately when Mark died already.

Edited by Chicken Wing
  • Love 14

If Mark died early on, that would make sense why Becky is stuck in her 20's. She didn't get to really enjoy that part of her life being married so young and worrying about where your family will work and live, and then dealing with being a widow.

I'm annoyed with her being a slut all of a sudden, but this show has always changed things and have bad continuity. Roseanne's Dad and Dan's Mom and Jerry originally being a girl are all just some examples. So I shouldn't be annoyed, but I am. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I didn't catch the first return episode, and only saw part of the 2nd...have they said when Mark died?  Like how long ago?  Also, I assume Darlene and David are divorcing?  

They haven't said when Mark died, but presumably before little Mark was born.

They also haven't said whether Darlene and David are divorcing, only that Darlene doesn't have a partner.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 4
Just now, SuprSuprElevated said:

Wow.  I sure don't recall that.

Yeah, during Roseanne's pregnancy they learned the baby was going to be a girl and they referenced the baby being a girl, but in the birth episode she randomly had a boy. The girl references were never brought up again, I don't think. I remember reading that they (the show people and/or Roseanne Barr) decided to change the baby to a boy since she had a boy (her son Buck) in real life.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Wow.  I sure don't recall that.

It was when she was pregnant, they found out it was a girl. The episode where the family records videos for her mentioned how maybe she'd be the first female President. It was girl, girl, girl, then he was born a boy. Zero mention that the sex was wrong. It was just Roseanne had a boy in real life, so the show had to have a boy instead of a girl. 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Chicken Wing said:

Yeah, during Roseanne's pregnancy they learned the baby was going to be a girl and they referenced the baby being a girl, but in the birth episode she randomly had a boy. The girl references were never brought up again, I don't think. I remember reading that they (the show people and/or Roseanne Barr) decided to change the baby to a boy since she had a boy (her son Buck) in real life.

That could be easily explained away as the doctor making a mistake with their prediction, too. My mom's told me about how, when she was pregnant with me, the doctor predicted I'd be a boy.

The kicker? That doctor made the exact same prediction a few years later about my sister :p. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 8
8 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

presumably before little Mark was born.

Thank you.  I sort of wondered if he was named in honor of Becky's Mark, but Darlene?  Naming her kid after him?  Kinda weird.  They're either going to be covering a lot of chit in the next few eps, or we're left to build the story in our heads.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

That could be easily explained away as the doctor making a mistake with their prediction, too. My mom's told me about how, when she was pregnant with me, the doctor predicted I'd be a boy.

The kicker? That doctor made the exact same prediction about my sister a few years later :p. 

Yea when my mom was pregnant with me she swore I’d be a girl had the name picked out and everything then surprise lol

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, WednesdayAddams said:

It was when she was pregnant, they found out it was a girl. The episode where the family records videos for her mentioned how maybe she'd be the first female President. It was girl, girl, girl, then he was born a boy. Zero mention that the sex was wrong. It was just Roseanne had a boy in real life, so the show had to have a boy instead of a girl. 

I just don't remember the girl thing.  Thanks.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

The kicker? That doctor made the exact same prediction a few years later about my sister :p. 

On the show it was discovered to be a girl through amniocentesis, which would just not be wrong the way a doctor looking at an ultrasound might. 

• Love 6

Ah, didn't know about that-I can't remember seeing that episode right offhand (I may well have, but it may have been some time ago). That would be odd, then, yes. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 1
Just now, Conotocarious said:

On the show it was discovered to be a girl through amniocentesis, which would just not be wrong the way a doctor looking at an ultrasound might. 

Plus, bringing home a boy instead of girl would have made a funny episode. 

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

All the references to Jackie not having anyone and being lonely obviously means that Andy doesn't exist.  

I’m so frustrated with this! I really wanted Jackie to have something going on in her life. Ugh. 

Otherwise, I really enjoyed the drunk sister bonding and hope we get to see more of Darlene and Becky being all sisterly. Also, I’ll always love Darlene’s smart mouth in general, but her dry delivery of “wasted as duck” killed me dead. Lol! 

• Love 20
52 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

Maybe they’re saving that for when David shows up. My guess is that it was sudden or unexpected. 

I liked the sibling interactions tonight, and I didn’t miss the kids one bit. 

I also LOL’d when Dan was afraid after he told Roseanne to stop interfering with Becky. 

Good episode I thought.  I was confused tho, as The List said tonite was centered on DJ's kid and a sleepover or something, but it was all on Becky.

Lol La Casanita Bonita made me laugh. We here have the only remaining Casa Bonita , and it's very cheesy.

• Love 4

Continuity has never been the shows strong suit.  With the two Becky's personality transplants.  Serious Jacky turning into Wacky Jacky.  And even David was originally named Kevin in his first appearance.  

The big things tend to stay the same.  More or less.  Its the little things that fall away.  

• Love 5

This felt very vintage Roseanne and I really did like this episode. 

I enjoyed Dan taking a stance. He did this every now and then (less as the seasons went on) and I always appreciated how Dan was one of the only people that could get thru to Roseanne. 

I agree with more drunk sister bonding. That was great. 

I’m really confused on the Becky is a slut backlash. Darlene used to call Becky a slut  every other episode. She was always commenting about her being on her back or feet on the ceiling of cars. This is nothing new and I take it today the same way I took it with the original, Darlene being the smart ass younger sister. I don’t feel she meant it then or now. As far as the comment about Becky having a bunch of one night stands with the guys at work? It works. She lost her husband young and didn’t know how to cope. This is a very realistic road for Becky to take. The only one that didn’t sit right was the abortion comment from Jackie. I loved Becky’s fight with Roseanne. It was classic Becky, except she really wasn’t wrong this time.

I noticed something Roseanne said that might elude to Andy. She said Jackie hasn’t something in a decade. Possibly referring to her not speaking to Andy in 10 years. That would have made him a teenager if he chose to go live with Fred. 

Also, Lecy’s voice was much less grating this episode. 

Edited by AM1418
  • Love 14
6 hours ago, AM1418 said:

I’m really confused on the Becky is a slut backlash. Darlene used to call Becky a slut  every other episode. She was always commenting about her being on her back or feet on the ceiling of cars. This is nothing new and I take it today the same way I took it with the original, Darlene being the smart ass younger sister. I don’t feel she meant it then or now. As far as the comment about Becky having a bunch of one night stands with the guys at work? It works. She lost her husband young and didn’t know how to cope. This is a very realistic road for Becky to take. The only one that didn’t sit right was the abortion comment from Jackie. I loved Becky’s fight with Roseanne. It was classic Becky, except she really wasn’t wrong this time.

That is a fair point. We just didn't really SEE any of that, so, I guess it's just because of that. I mean, the worse ( ETA- WORST. Forgive the rest of the  typos and grammar errors, but that was bugging me.)  thing we actually saw, was her ditching Chip for Swanko, who even Roseanne would have considered leaving Dan for. But, I definitely get your point. I did just picture her going bezerk after Mark died, and was coming from that aspect. She was still in her early 20's so.. She could definitely hook up with her old teachers and stuff.  Also agree about her voice. 

Edited by HoboClayton
  • Love 5

To a certain extent, Becky makes sense.  Becky intended to go to community college when she married Mark.  Things seemed okay for Becky and Mark for a while, but then Mark lost his job.  Which lead to the hilarious conversation between Roseanne and Becky where Roseanne told Becky, "I'm mad at you for making me defend Mark," or something like that.  Then when Roseanne and Dan gave Becky money for college, Becky decided Mark should go to trade school or something like that instead, and Mark failed at that.  It's easy to intend to do something at some point.  Actually doing it, is something else entirely.  I thought maybe Mark died while Becky was in community college, and Becky might have gotten involved with her teachers at that point.  Possibly started drinking and partying to much, forgot about class, and then suddenly several years had gone by.

I grew up with a girl who made good grades all through school, and planned on being a doctor like her father.  She started dating a guy her senior year in high school, and didn't want to go to college without him.  Her father persuaded her to go for the first semester.  She didn't like it, and dropped out.  Her parents were still willing to pay for her to go to college, but she wanted to get married first.  Even though for years her dad offered to pay for her to go to college, she never went.  She's now divorced, has three children, and an ex-husband who never pays child support.  Her parents pay her bills.

I'm thinking maybe Becky gets to point out Darlene's faults when David shows up.  In a lot of ways, Darlene has been a responsible adult, and she wouldn't be the first college educated person to lose their job, and have trouble finding another one, however, Darlene has made mistakes to.

Dan telling Roseanne to backoff was nice.

Edited by TigerLynx
  • Love 14