Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E19: The Numerical Limit

MyAimIsTrue
  • Start Topic

Abby is going to be pissed when she finds out who broke her mass spec and that she was lied to. Yikes to Bishop and Palmer.

I liked the humor in this episode. I loved Palmer getting exasperated at Ducky for taking over the autopsy, and Elena commentating how tight Torres’ shirt was. 

It definitely got dusty at the end. Way to pull at my heartstrings, writers! I really liked Elena and her situation is absolutely heartbreaking.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, twoods said:

I loved Palmer getting exasperated at Ducky for taking over the autopsy, and Elena commentating how tight Torres’ shirt was

I kind of liked that, too, but also found it a bit out of character. Palmer has pretty much always worshipped Ducky.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, twoods said:

Abby is going to be pissed when she finds out who broke her mass spec and that she was lied to. Yikes to Bishop and Palmer.

I liked the humor in this episode. I loved Palmer getting exasperated at Ducky for taking over the autopsy, and Elena commentating how tight Torres’ shirt was. 

It definitely got dusty at the end. Way to pull at my heartstrings, writers! I really liked Elena and her situation is absolutely heartbreaking.

I wonder when (not if) Abby finds out who killed major mass spec, that it will be the catalyst for her departure.  I hope the writers would not go there, but you never know.  I could see Gibbs concern about the fate of Elena and her father.  Even though the asshole gang leader is in custody, I'm sure he has many assistants to do his bidding, unless he is  a micro-managing control freak who likes to avenge things himself only.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I kind of liked that, too, but also found it a bit out of character. Palmer has pretty much always worshipped Ducky.

He has, but he's grown into his role as the medical examiner, and a gotten used to being in charge of his domain. Few people like their mentors/dads looking over their shoulder and critiquing their work under the guise of helping out. Me, I'd have pulled the plug sooner. But I am a prickly sort.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 10

The show usually does good with kids in peril plots but I find them a bit boring. At least the girl was thoroughly not-impressed by Torres and his tight shirts, he!

Best thing about this episode were Jack's glorious red pumps.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, twoods said:

I agree that what would bother Abby more than Mass Spec being broken is that her friends lied and obfuscated, and didn't trust her to understand that it was, literally, a matter of life and death to try and break out of the lab.  Then again, Abby can be a vengeful sort; remember the fierce campaign she waged to find out who ate her chocolate cupcake?!

• Love 5
1 minute ago, TeapotDiva said:

I agree that what would bother Abby more than Mass Spec being broken is that her friends lied and obfuscated, and didn't trust her to understand that it was, literally, a matter of life and death to try and break out of the lab.  Then again, Abby can be a vengeful sort; remember the fierce campaign she waged to find out who ate her chocolate cupcake?!

well, broken lab equipment is one thing.  But a chocolate cupcake?  Obviously that's going to mean war!

• Love 3

I'm amazed at how much of Casa Gibbs we got to see last night!

Poor Gibbs, I think he was hoping to keep the fantasy of having a little girl to tuck in every night.  He and Elena were a good fit, but he could see she needed to stay with her dad.

The commissary cashier was quite the type, eh?  Good characterization on that guy.  Everybody knows a guy like that, right? 

I'm digging Palmer's character growth.  He's secure enough in his job (finally!) to become irritated with Ducky.   I'm not digging how McGee is getting periodically dumbed down.  He went from brilliant last week to this week having to be reminded by Gibbs that the fake IDs not only gave access to all military bases in the US, but also to our military bases overseas. 

I think Abby knows exactly how Major Mass Spec died, and I think she's torturing Ellie and Palmer.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, scorpio1031 said:

I finally caught one of Abby's Easter eggs - the conundrum wrapped in a riddle wrapped in a enigma - or something like that.  Don't remember what episode that was originally on.

It was either last week or the week before.

I can't believe I'm typing this, but...the love for this show is gone. Even Mark Harmon's Handsomeness isn't enough. I'm finding that I don't watch until the end of the week to watch this.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, twoods said:

I BUSTED out laughing at Torres: “McGee ...  ...  you’re smarter than that.” HA!!

31 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

It was either last week or the week before.

I can't believe I'm typing this, but...the love for this show is gone. Even Mark Harmon's Handsomeness isn't enough. I'm finding that I don't watch until the end of the week to watch this.

Oh no GH. This makes me sad for you. 

• Love 2

Picky insider inaccuracy...they used the term Commissary for the food-court looking place at Joint Base Hanover.  But on a military installation, the Commissary is the grocery store.  The food court would be in the Exchange (usually referred to as "PX" for Post Exchange).  This was doubly confusing to me, because when Abby and Bishop were looking at the screen that showed the location information, this guy's showed at the top as "COM" for Commissary, and there was one right under it that was "EXC" (which I'm assuming was Exchange). 

But here's what I have a bigger problem with.  IIRC, the whole thing that alerted the gang to the fact that there was a problem, was they were looking at a military ID but couldn't find that person in the actual military system.  OK, fine.  But if that was the case, then how could they also later access computer records of this same person in the military system, that showed what specific location he had been in when he used his ID?  

And finally, call me cynical, but even though I love me some Gibbs, I cringed inwardly when I saw the description of the episode, and remarked to myself that we'd have to see Gibbs once again as child-whisperer supreme.

• Love 3
(edited)
7 hours ago, MissLucas said:

The show usually does good with kids in peril plots but I find them a bit boring. At least the girl was thoroughly not-impressed by Torres and his tight shirts, he!

Best thing about this episode were Jack's glorious red pumps.

Missed them entirely. Like kids well enough, shoes escape my attention.

59 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

Picky insider inaccuracy...they used the term Commissary for the food-court looking place at Joint Base Hanover.  But on a military installation, the Commissary is the grocery store.  The food court would be in the Exchange (usually referred to as "PX" for Post Exchange).  This was doubly confusing to me, because when Abby and Bishop were looking at the screen that showed the location information, this guy's showed at the top as "COM" for Commissary, and there was one right under it that was "EXC" (which I'm assuming was Exchange).

I know, right? I was confused for a bit. My experiences were somewhat longer ago, but going to the commissary was a big deal grocery shopping trip everywhere we were posted.  My vague memory suggests that on our last base, this was called a snack bar. The PX might have been upstairs. I handwaved it to time passed, and an American location.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1

I knew the guy taking photos of the girl was her father as soon as they said that he died a long time ago, but the ending was still sweet.

Surprised at how long they are drawing out this lab "drama" about the mass spec. Would be nice to have some resolution and move on.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

I knew the guy taking photos of the girl was her father as soon as they said that he died a long time ago, but the ending was still sweet.

Surprised at how long they are drawing out this lab "drama" about the mass spec. Would be nice to have some resolution and move on.

It's only been one episode.

The whole no Gibbs and Abby in the same shot/room/scene is (for me) taking over any storyline of the week. I'm pretty much concentrated on that ahead of any other action. Hate an unevenly written McGee and can't understand why Bishop would lie to Abby anyway. Kudos for Jimmy growing into his confidence.

• Love 5
(edited)
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Missed them entirely. Like kids well enough, shoes escape my attention.

I know, right? I was confused for a bit. My experiences were somewhat longer ago, but going to the commissary was a big deal grocery shopping trip everywhere we were posted.  My vague memory suggests that on our last base, this was called a snack bar. The PX might have been upstairs. I handwaved it to time passed, and an American location.

I’ve been to one, I think Fort Buchanan in PR, where it’s all in one huge building. One end is the Food Court outside of the Exchange, there’s a mall like area with kiosks and little shops (connecting the two) and on the other end is the Commissary (military personnel only).

Edited by Runningwild
  • Love 1

I've a different quibble:

Shipping Ice Cream to central America.  

First I asked Rand McNally road how many miles it was from Washington D.C. to El Salvador.  It couldn't tell me.  But I did check and El Salvador is on the Pacific, so an Ice Cream Truck traveling by boat wouldn't land there without a Panama Canal transit.  Driving that distance would set off bells and whistles at most borders because Ice Cream from Blue Bell in Texas would be cheaper to transport, but not quite as outrageously expensive, nonetheless.  Air freight of just the ice cream?  I just ordered Tasso and Andouille from New Orleans, and air freight really would be nonsensical for something as mundane as ice cream; pharmaceuticals-maybe. 

Someday we'll make a map of the NCIS world, where distances adapt to story lines, and there are always available parking spaces, everywhere.

And about Abby's MassSpec.  I hate the Gibblets lying to her.  Abby doesn't deserve that and if she hasn't already diagnosed the source of the voltage/maybe amp surge, she will.  But knowing what happened usually makes repairs easier and faster.  Don't be less than honest with your co-workers.  Full stop. It's not a cupcake.  It's a multi thousand dollar machine whose accuracy is important to forensic interpretations and trial evidence. 

A whimper: Gibbs did tell them to ask Abby- which may be the least significant mention of her we've heard this year and one of the few Gibbs about Abby mentions in four or five episodes.  

• Love 3
14 hours ago, enoughcats said:

And about Abby's MassSpec...knowing what happened usually makes repairs easier and faster.  Don't be less than honest with your co-workers.  Full stop. It's not a cupcake.  It's a multi thousand dollar machine whose accuracy is important to forensic interpretations and trial evidence. 

16 hours ago, Kelda Feegle said:

.... can't understand why Bishop would lie to Abby anyway

Yes to both of those.  Given what we know about Bishop's personality and rational thinking, there is no way she would keep the information from Abby, especially as Abby nears figuring it out, and double especially using the trivial/"cute"/insignificant dismissive shrugs and comments that she has done. 

• Love 3

I agree that the mass spec mystery is a mis-step on the part of the show. It makes no sense to lie about it.

They wouldn't have to be too specific about the cause when requisitioning a new one (collateral damage would cover it). But why lie to her? It would make more sense to have her get a bit huffy for an episode or two and then have a warm resolution. But maybe her hunt for the "perp" is one of those Abby flashback/easter egg things. Shrug.

• Love 1
On 4/4/2018 at 8:40 PM, Kelda Feegle said:

The whole no Gibbs and Abby in the same shot/room/scene is (for me) taking over any storyline of the week. I'm pretty much concentrated on that ahead of any other action. Hate an unevenly written McGee and can't understand why Bishop would lie to Abby anyway. Kudos for Jimmy growing into his confidence.

What is the deal with no Gibbs/Abby?

1 hour ago, scruffy73 said:

What is the deal with no Gibbs/Abby?

It's in the media thread though (as usual with these things it's mostly rumors but it's more than we ever got on the big Good Wife mystery).

I have no idea where they are going with the whole Major Mass Spec plot - nowhere good it seems.

My first impression was that Gibbs was going to take custody of the girl permanently (!) and that Jack would help him raise her, given the scenes of the three of them together. Then when she came off with that heavy handed approach, "Must be hard tucking another little girl into that bed" -- duh, he wouldn't have done it if he couldn't handle it. And then to add, "There must be some good memories." Of course he has some good memories; how dumb a question is that? Especially from someone who doesn't want to tell all on her past trauma. I thought Gibbs' look said it all.

I am over all fine with the character, but I think Jack has hit some false notes, from her initially trying to fool Gibbs by forcing her way into his house the first episode to this time prying about his feelings about his daughter. She has no reason to know those things, other than nosiness.

I get Jimmy feeling more confident in his role, but I thought it was out of character for him to be so rude and disrespectful as to turn off the video. It was a little jarring for me -- I would have expected him to make up an excuse -- "Poor connection!" -- and then turn it off, so as to allow Ducky to save face.

I thought Abby's investigation into who killed her machine was possibly one of those eggs and was a throw back to the cupcake investigation, but honestly, I didn't devote too much thought to it. The whole Abby exit is just so weird to me.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, ForReal said:

My first impression was that Gibbs was going to take custody of the girl permanently (!) and that Jack would help him raise her, given the scenes of the three of them together. Then when she came off with that heavy handed approach, "Must be hard tucking another little girl into that bed" -- duh, he wouldn't have done it if he couldn't handle it. And then to add, "There must be some good memories." Of course he has some good memories; how dumb a question is that? Especially from someone who doesn't want to tell all on her past trauma. I thought Gibbs' look said it all.

I am over all fine with the character, but I think Jack has hit some false notes, from her initially trying to fool Gibbs by forcing her way into his house the first episode to this time prying about his feelings about his daughter. She has no reason to know those things, other than nosiness.

I get Jimmy feeling more confident in his role, but I thought it was out of character for him to be so rude and disrespectful as to turn off the video. It was a little jarring for me -- I would have expected him to make up an excuse -- "Poor connection!" -- and then turn it off, so as to allow Ducky to save face.

I thought Abby's investigation into who killed her machine was possibly one of those eggs and was a throw back to the cupcake investigation, but honestly, I didn't devote too much thought to it. The whole Abby exit is just so weird to me.

I thought Jack's comments were strange too. They were pretty flat footed for someone in her profession, and intrusive.

• Love 2
On 4/4/2018 at 5:12 PM, LuvMyShows said:

And finally, call me cynical, but even though I love me some Gibbs, I cringed inwardly when I saw the description of the episode, and remarked to myself that we'd have to see Gibbs once again as child-whisperer supreme.

Haha, I agree. He sits on the girl's cot and hands her a crayon, she doesn't even look up and the lady in charge starts gushing about how she's usually wary of strangers...odd scene.

• Love 1