Type keyword(s) to search

Hopes and Fears: How Will We Survive This Island? (Speculation WITHOUT Spoilers)

quarks
  • Start Topic

Really? I know there are laces, but that's not the same. (Now I gotta find a reference pic...)

And they don't have to lose the pants; just incorporate the fishnet somewhere.

Edited by Trini

Correction: Killing John and/or Felicity. 

Which I expect will happen the next time Laurel needs a boost. They are eliminating everyone more popular than Laurel.

My hope is that Laurel will be minimized in the next few episodes. My fear is that they are now going to concentrate on her becoming the new Canary.  

I wonder if she goes to the gym specifically to get trained.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1

Really? I know there are laces, but that's not the same. (Now I gotta find a reference pic...)

Yeah, I think the laces were supposed to represent the fishnets (I thought there were more laces down on her calves, but I can't find a pic). I don't think there's a practical way to put them on the costume, given that they could get snagged pretty easily while fighting.

My hope is that Laurel will be minimized in the next few episodes.

My hope is that when Nyssa gets word of Laurel trying to be Black Canary, she'll come back to Star(ling) City and kill Laurel in a blind rage.

• Love 9

I can't find it, but the costume director said that the laces on the pants were a nod to the fishnets. So yes, the 'laces' were there to represent the fishnets from the comics. I'll see if I can find the source. 

I wonder if Roy's apparent muteness is a plot point lol. He had like nothing to say in this episode;. I know CH has limitations of as an actor but his lack of dialogue was really noticeable, especially compared to other episodes he's been in.  

• Love 1

My hope is for Nyssa to become Black Canary. 

If not her then Thea. If not Thea then Felicity. If not Felicity then Ghost Sara. If not Ghost Sara then Joanna. Basically anyone but Laurel. 

I would love this - Nyssa as Black Canary. This makes perfect sense to me.

• Love 1
So something Oliver said in The Calm has sorta been bother me. During his date with Felicity when he's talking about seeing people as targets, he said: "And when I decided to come home, I didn't know how to turn that off."  Now it may be nothing, and more than likely it just sounded good to the writers & they went with it. But this statement has been bugging me. All this time we've been told Oliver wanted nothing more than to come home, he wast stuck on the island, forced to work for Waller, and who knows what else in the future seasons. Now I'm wondering if he ended up on that Island again by choice, or if he was planning on staying dead. Ugh, I don't know why this is bugging me so much, especially since it'' probably end up being meaningless.

From spoiler & spec thread

that's what I always thought happened.  We knew Oliver left the island at some point, the whole Captain of the Bratava and having Mob contacts.  I also always figured that he got both Tattoos off the island (wrong about the dragon).  Plus we know at some point he gets a message/letter from his father that explains The List.  So, Oliver got off the island, had fun in HK, then in Russia, learning to fight, making contacts, discovering the reason for The List, coming up with a plan, etc.  After all that he went back to the Island and staged his rescue when he was ready/committed to becoming The Hood.

• Love 1

That line leads me to suspect he got all his training and had made his plans for what he was going to do back in Starling, then he had Waller or whoever drop him off back on the island and waited for a ship to pass (assuming it wasn't a set up too).

I totally forgot about the message from his father. This all makes a lot of sense, and it would be interesting if it panned out this way. I never gave the past much thought because the flashbacks have been my least favorite part of the show, but I am looking forward to the flashbacks this year. I hope they go this route, instead of having dumped on the Island again as punishment.

I have created a scenario in my head where it wasn't really Sara that fell to her death.  It was DoppelSara - some woman that had a face transplant like John Travolta and Nicholas Cage in that movie, Face Off.  DoppelSara also had some sort of voice-changing tech to make her sound like the real Sara.  The real Sara is being held prisoner on a boat somewhere and will be revealed to be alive in the last episode that airs right before the mid-season break.  Whoever has the real Sara has kidnapped her and made everyone believe that Sara is really dead in an attempt to get Ra's to show his face because they are after him for some reason. 

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
  • Love 1

Life Model Decoy. Too bad that's Marvel. I'm going to go with Vertigo induced hallucination. Sara's worst fear is being tossed out like trash and dying at her sister's feet. She's really holed in a safe house with Sin recovering. Yep. That's what happening.

• Love 4

From the 3.01 Episode Thread:

I think Diggle is going to be working with A.R.G.U.S. At least that's my impression from a couple of DR interviews during the hiatus.

Hmm. Between this idea and Sara's unexpected fall, suddenly that first Season 3 poster makes so much more sense...
  • Love 1

From the 3.01 Episode Thread:Hmm. Between this idea and Sara's unexpected fall, suddenly that first Season 3 poster makes so much more sense...

Why? Diggle didn't leave the team, he's just not going out into the field anymore, right?

Did I miss something in the ep? The general consensus I'm reading seems to be Digg's off the team, but I didn't get that. At all.

• Love 1

See I wondered if Episodes 2 & 3 were going to have Diggle rethinking his decision not to be in the field. I don't remember Diggle leaving the team. I thought he was just not doing field work. Maybe he'll do what he can tech wise/monitoring since Felicity will probably be working a less flexible job than the one at Buy More?

Why? Diggle didn't leave the team, he's just not going out into the field anymore, right?

Did I miss something in the ep? The general consensus I'm reading seems to be Digg's off the team, but I didn't get that. At all.

I didn't get that from my viewing either. But in the one Guggenheim interview I didn't stop myself from reading after the episode aired he said that Diggle's "you were right" to Oliver meant that Diggle was leaving the team (although that's not at all obvious onscreen).

edited to delete because I forgot which thread I was in.

Edited by RandomMe

Isn't Diggle 

in the field for Corso Maltese? It's for ARGUS but if he's working for ARGUS then he must want back on active duty again.

I thought I read somewhere that 

Sara's death was going to cause Diggle to reconsider his decision to be sidelined.

Diggle better not be going anywhere.  I don't want to be left with Oliver and Laurel bonding as the centre of the next set of episodes.

I will take Sara still being alive -- whether through a decoy or a fake dummy -- any way I can get.

That line leads me to suspect he got all his training and had made his plans for what he was going to do back in Starling, then he had Waller or whoever drop him off back on the island and waited for a ship to pass (assuming it wasn't a set up too).

But what about his hair? Did Amanda Waller leave him with a wig, or did she refuse to let him cut his hair for three years?

Edited by statsgirl

Isn't Diggle 

in the field for Corso Maltese? It's for ARGUS but if he's working for ARGUS then he must want back on active duty again.

I thought I read somewhere that 

Sara's death was going to cause Diggle to reconsider his decision to be sidelined.

Diggle better not be going anywhere.  I don't want to be left with Oliver and Laurel bonding as the centre of the next set of episodes.

I will take Sara still being alive -- whether through a decoy or a fake dummy -- any way I can get.

But what about his hair? Did Amanda Waller leave him with a wig, or did she refuse to let him cut his hair for three years?

More importantly, what about that Dumbledore-esque beard? It must've been difficult to keep that thing glued on with the island humidity and all that. Maybe Waller owns the patent on some kind of beardy super glue.

• Love 1

ARGUS has probably created a fast growing hair formula. :)  More seriously, I guess he could have spent a year on the island, three years running around the world and then another year on the island to let his hair and beard grow. Depending on his particular growth rate he could probably get what he had in the pilot in twelve or so months of not shaving/cutting. That, or the EP's originally just intended him to be on the island, where the hair and beard makes sense, and later decided to have him spend most of the time not there in which case it's kind of an oversight.

I am pretty sure this is the wrong thread. However, since what I'm about to say is speculation mixed with bitterness and maybe a pinch of spoiler, I'm going to try it out in here. No doubt I'll get my hand slapped but there are entirely too many topics in this forum which is sucking all the organic progression of conversation out.

I was trying to figure out why I would want to watch Arrow regularly, S2 was spent wondering when something/anything would happen to Sara to start Laurel's BC journey. It made S2 unbearable at times as my disgust with Laurel continued to increase and my love of Sara grew by leaps and bounds. I am not prepared to endure the same during S3. A popular opinion is Olicity will get its real start at the end of S3 and S4 will be full of Olicity. I can see that timeline pushed up and Olicity being gifted to the fans earlier this season so next season Felicity can die. Oliver goes through a portion of S4 man-paining his grief.

At some point we'll lose Diggle/Roy as Oliver only has two sides and can't have three sidekicks. Laurel as BC won't be believable as a heroine in her own right because she's so far behind the curve. She'll have to be a sidekick for a few seasons at least unless they use a radioactive canary to poop on her bare shoulder and speed up her abilities. 

In the end Green Arrow and Black Canary will stand together on a roof with the sun setting in the sky behind them. 

This is all speculation on my part and my bitterness with expecting this to happen makes me despise having ever watched a minute of the show. I am not basing this on any real spoilers, but the anvils the writers/EPs have been dropping.

Edited by AnalyzeAndCritique
  • Love 2

I am pretty sure this is the wrong thread. However, since what I'm about to say is speculation mixed with bitterness and maybe a pinch of spoiler, I'm going to try it out in here. No doubt I'll get my hand slapped but there are entirely too many topics in this forum which is sucking all the organic progression of conversation out.

I was trying to figure out why I would want to watch Arrow regularly, S2 was spent wondering when something/anything would happen to Sara to start Laurel's BC journey. It made S2 unbearable at times as my disgust with Laurel continued to increase and my love of Sara grew by leaps and bounds. I am not prepared to endure the same during S3. A popular opinion is Olicity will get its real start at the end of S3 and S4 will be full of Olicity until her death. I can see that timeline pushed up and Olicity being gifted to the fans this season so next season Felicity can die. Oliver goes through a portion of S4 man-paining his grief.

At some point we'll lose Diggle/Roy as Oliver only has two sides and can't have three sidekicks. Laurel as BC won't be believable as a heroine in her own right because she's so far behind the curve. She'll have to be a sidekick for a few seasons at least unless they use a radioactive canary to poop on her bare shoulder and speed up her abilities. 

In the end Green Arrow and Black Canary will stand together on a roof with the sun setting in the sky behind them. 

This is all speculation on my part and my bitterness with expecting this to happen makes me despise having ever watched a minute of the show. I am not basing this on any real spoilers, but the anvils the writers/EPs have been dropping.

I honestly don't see them killing Felicity. Maybe she'll leave for a new life in another city if they want to get her out of the way, but how many more people can Oliver lose without going batshit insane? It's LITERALLY overkill at this point. If they're going to move him forward, they need to stop killing off the people he loves. Not that I trust them to do that, but I think Felicity's life is safe. Her life in Starling City? Maybe not so much.

Also, this is probably wishful/hopeful thinking on my part, but I wonder if they decided to have Laurel become BC (in what seems to be an accelerated fashion) this season so they could get an audience reaction to her transition before her contract is up for renewal?

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 3

I honestly don't see them killing Felicity. Maybe she'll leave for a new life in another city if they want to get her out of the way, but how many more people can Oliver lose without going batshit insane? It's LITERALLY overkill at this point. If they're going to move him forward, they need to stop killing off the people he loves. Not that I trust them to do that, but I think Felicity's life is safe. Her life in Starling City? Maybe not so much.

Also, this is probably wishful/hopeful thinking on my part, but I wonder if they decided to have Laurel become BC (in what seems to be an accelerated fashion) this season so they could get an audience reaction to her transition before her contract is up for renewal?

My only problem with that is they are seriously damaging a show for one character/actress. They need to cut their losses and let it go.

I wrote a novel for NaNoWriMo. The feedback I got was "great, but you need to rethink *character* because he doesn't fit the story." I didn't want to because I liked him and I liked his relationship with his sister. I dug my heels in until I realized it was possible to reduce his presence and keep what worked for him. I made some alterations and in the end it was a better novel. I had to stifle my pride, but the end product was a good novel instead of a semi-decent novel. 

Also my speculation was probably more bitterness than logical thinking. However, I don't think the writers/EPs care that Oliver should be broken by now and one more death could send him into suicide watch. They'll just believe he can love Laurel all the much more because Felicity taught him to appreciate the opportunity to love. 

A popular opinion is Olicity will get its real start at the end of S3 and S4 will be full of Olicity until her death. I can see that timeline pushed up and Olicity being gifted to the fans this season so next season Felicity can die. Oliver goes through a portion of S4 man-paining his grief.

At some point we'll lose Diggle/Roy as Oliver only has two sides and can't have three sidekicks. 

I share these sentiments. I don't read comics so I had no idea Arrow was based on one when I started watching, but boy do I know now. In hindsight I wish I'd never started watching. 

I see Felicity and Diggle dead in the not too distant future, leaving the show with the great thespians playing Roy and Laurel because their characters are in comics, and I feel sick. 

• Love 3

I would love it if that were true.  But if it were, would they have killed Sara rather than just have her kidnapped and missing?  With Sara dead, the stakes got a lot higher -- it's Laurel or no Black Canary at all.  (Unless you count Sin but that's rather a stretch.)

My fear -- that the only way these EPs know how to motivate Oliver is to have someone close to him killed. First his father, then Yao Fe, then Shado, then Tommy, then Sara on the Amazo, then Moira and now Sara again. Have I left anyone out?

Also my speculation was probably more bitterness than logical thinking. However, I don't think the writers/EPs care that Oliver should be broken by now and one more death could send him into suicide watch. They'll just believe he can love Laurel all the much more because Felicity taught him to appreciate the opportunity to love. 

I just threw up a little.But sadly, it's believable.

Arrow has already changed itself once with the the addition of a new character -- Felicity.  But that made it better by lightening up the dour show more fun.  I don't want it to become different to fit Laurel.

Awesome that you did NaNoWriMo.

• Love 1

Awesome that you did NaNoWriMo.

It is pretty satisfying to set the goal and achieve it. I'm prepping for this years. It's actually a blessing in disguise for me that Arrow is sucking. I've written off three shows this TV season because I have no patience for their shenanigans. I've earned three extra hours a week in which to write. When you count the hours I won't be on forums, I can probably do two this year. LOL. 

In staying on topic. I'm sorry I made you throw up a little. Can I offer you some Listerine? 

• Love 1

OK, here goes my crazy hopes for Laurel's arc this season (this is all pure speculation, of course).  So, who killed The Canary?  Answer: Laurel Lance.  Either A.) Laurel hired someone to kill Sara or B.) She killed Sara in some crazy drug induced hallucination like Oliver had in this episode. Sara stole her life (according to Laurel), so Laurel decided that she was going to steal Sara's life...literally.

So, let's say that KC does have a three year contract and the contract stipulates that she must become Black Canary.  The EPs have already admitted that they know that people have issues with Laurel.  Maybe they want to get rid of her, but they have to make her BC first and run out the time on her contract.  They can't tell KC that they plan on writing her out of the show because it may piss her off and she may become uncooperative.  So, they write this entire season as if Laurel is training to become BC.  Then, whenever they decide to reveal who actually killed Sara, KC is shocked to read the script and find out that it is her! 

Laurel is either taken to jail by her father and locked up for 20 to life for murder, or she's taken out by any number of people (Nyssa, Ra's, Oliver) as vengeance for murdering Sara.  If they choose to go the drug hallucination route, they can show us Sara's death scene again, but they would show us the truth for how that whole thing actually went down.

I know it will probably never happen, but this is my hope for how the story goes. 

• Love 2

I actually like your scenario, but the issue is a matter of timing. Laurel was up on the rooftop with Sara. They had their little talk and Laurel left. Sara didn't walk very far or for very long before she was shot and fell off the roof, landing at Laurel's feet. Which means Laurel would have had to shoot her then run downstairs in order to act shocked, before Sara hit the ground. She'd have to be taking lessons from Barry Allen to pull that off.

I actually like your scenario, but the issue is a matter of timing. Laurel was up on the rooftop with Sara. They had their little talk and Laurel left. Sara didn't walk very far or for very long before she was shot and fell off the roof, landing at Laurel's feet. Which means Laurel would have had to shoot her then run downstairs in order to act shocked, before Sara hit the ground. She'd have to be taking lessons from Barry Allen to pull that off.

Laurel could've hired a hitman. 

As much as I love that scenario, man this is pretty much the last thing they're going to do considering Laurel is such a precious good-doer 

Sara seemed to recognize whoever it was, since she said "What're you doing here?" and not something like "Who are you?" but I guess Laurel could have hired their old friend Jake or something. I'm actually not opposed to this idea because it might actually make Laurel interesting.

No, see, that didn't actually happen.  When they reveal that Laurel was the murderer, they show us that she was on vertigo (or whatever drug Oliver was on when he was fighting himself in the episode).  She was hallucinating the entire time and in her anger she actually shot her sister with three arrows because she was the one on the roof.  She never watched her sister's body hit the dumpster and fall at her feet because that was part of the hallucination.  

When they do the reveal, they can show us what actually happened.  None of the stuff with Laurel and Sara talking actually happens, that is all in Laurel's head.  Laurel shows up on the roof and Sara says, "What're you doing here?"  Laurel shoots Sara with three arrows and Sara plummets to her death.  Everything after that is part of Laurel's drug hallucination as well.

I mean, the drug made Oliver believe he was fighting himself, so it could make Laurel believe that she had a nice conversation with her sister followed by her sister landing head first at her feet, right?  Sure it could.  Sure it could.

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
  • Love 4

Felicity this year is safe. She's part of Oliver's journey to identity. If at the end of the season he doesn't figure out that he can be both then his arc for this year would be a failure. So Felicity is good for right now.

My speculation would be that the guillotine waiting to fall is Oliver's kid showing up right when he gets his stuff together and he finally decides he can have a life with Felicity. There is no doubt in my mind that if baby mamma shows up for any other reason then she's getting married to another guy and wants Oliver to sign adoption papers, Felicity will push Oliver to try to have a family with her and the kid. She knows what it's like not to have a father in the picture, she wouldn't want that for Oliver's child. So Olicity will take another break then.

That leads to the end of Season 4, EBR signed a recurring contract for Season 1 and a series regular contract for Season 2  so she is one year behind on her contract. (going by the assumption that everyone except SA has a 3 year deal) her contract will be up at the end of Season 4. At that point I think we should all chip in for bubble wrap and bullet proof dresses for Felicity because if they do want Lauriver to be endgame she'll die in the Season 4 finale and Season 5 is GA/BC the toxic-chemistry-less love boat.

Please excuse me while I go bleach this thought from my brain.

Edited by Orion
  • Love 6

As much as I like Colton Haynes, I really do think that he and Katie Cassidy are the two weakest links (acting-wise) on the show.  As it is, watching Roy scenes and Laurel scenes are barely tolerable.  If Team Arrow ends up being Oliver, Roy and Laurel, all in costume - that's it for me.  

I'm still holding off on buying the Seasons 1 and 2 DVDs because I don't want an incomplete set.  If I buy one season, then I'm going to have to buy all of the seasons.  But if the above scenario is the endgame or looks like it's going to be the endgame, then I don't want any of the seasons.

Edited by tv echo
I mean, the drug made Oliver believe he was fighting himself, so it could make Laurel believe that she had a nice conversation with her sister followed by her sister landing head first at her feet, right?  Sure it could.  Sure it could.

Must've given her a powerful enough imagination that she had a bow and arrows on her to. That vertigo is impressive.

Or maybe Laurel has started stalking rooftops with a bow, just in case she sees someone in a costume she wants? Hmmm....

• Love 1

I'm hoping for Laurel having found Ra's al Ghul's contact information when she went through Moira's paper and contacting him to kill Sara because any time Sara is around, Laurel is no longer the centre of attention. Ra's, resenting Sara's relationship with Nyssa and her previously leaving the LoA, was happy to agree and  give Laurel a discount on the price. That is why Sara recognized her killer, he/she worked for Ra's.

As much as I like Colton Haynes, I really do think that he and Katie Cassidy are the two weakest links (acting-wise) on the show.  As it is, watching Roy scenes and Laurel scenes are barely tolerable.  If Team Arrow ends up being Oliver, Roy and Laurel, all in costume - that's it for me.  

I agree about Colton Haynes and Katie Cassidy being the two weakest links on the show. But I don't mind Roy so much because a) Roy doesn't have much to say or even much screen time and only 2 storylines up to this point; b) the producers don't think he's as important as Oliver; and c) even though he was a CW "star", Colton Haynes seems to  really try.

In other words, CH tries to fit into the show's storyline, and KC doesn't unless it's about her.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1

I think Roy would be killed off this season. :) He seems the most extraneous right now and I don't know if the writers know what to do with his character. 

Edited by ban1o

I think Roy would be killed off this season. :) He seems the most extraneous right now and I don't know if the writers know what to do with his character. 

I don't want anymore deaths this season or the next season. I think it'll just be too much. But yeah, if anyone has to die, I wouldn't mind it being Roy. Then Thea can take his place on the team. 

Roy has a penis. So if he does die, at least you know he'll go out in heroic fashion.

• Love 5

I don't want anymore deaths this season or the next season. I think it'll just be too much. But yeah, if anyone has to die, I wouldn't mind it being Roy. Then Thea can take his place on the team. 

Yeah I don't mind Roy's character and I would rather he not die (tired of character deaths!!) but I think if someone does die I think it might be him. But I guess it's too early. They might have something planned for his character and we don't even know Thea' character arch really.

Edited by ban1o

Roy has a penis. So if he does die, at least you know he'll go out in heroic fashion.

Nah, he'll get his own spin-off. It'll follow The Flash, Atom, Blue Beetle, and Booster Gold shows. Supergirl will get developed but shelved due to no one wanting to watch a female superhero. Amiright?

• Love 5

Nah, he'll get his own spin-off. It'll follow The Flash, Atom, Blue Beetle, and Booster Gold shows. Supergirl will get developed but shelved due to no one wanting to watch a female superhero. Amiright?

What, you mean... like a show where the main character is a girl? With long hair and boobs and no penis at all? Urgh! Wash your mouth out!

If they ever develop a fucking Booster Gold show before doing justice to any of the women in DC, then you know all hope is lost. But I suppose, if Ant-Man can get a movie before Black Widow, anything is possible.

Berlanti and Kreisberg WERE developing a Booster Gold show before that got shelved and they moved on to Arrow:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/syfy-booster-gold-greg-berlanti-261801?mobile_redirect=false

I'm certain Roy is safe this season, and that's solely based on them spending time and money giving him the full hero suit, and CH being the only cast member who got new promotional shots.

My biggest fear for the whodunit arc on Sara's death is if the EPs are leaving their options open on the killer. I really really hope they've had one person only in mind from the moment they plotted to kill her, and didn't just pick someone for shock value after deciding she was toast.

Edited by dancingnancy

I'm certain Roy is safe this season, and that's solely based on them spending time and money giving him the full hero suit, and CH being the only cast member who got new promotional shots.

Mm this is true. I forgot he was the only one who got new promo shots.