Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E09: Week 9 : The Semi-Finals

• Start Topic

This is exactly what makes me laugh about the conspiracy theories though. "Obviously, it's set it up for a Maks win." "Obviously, they're propping Amy up so Derek wins again."

That's why Grassy Knoll threads for these types of shows are always so entertaining...

Well, as someone who dabbles in Knollery on occasion, I agree that TPTB's main goal is probably to set up a no-lose scenario for the finals.  And I actually haven't seen much funny business this season, like an overload of extra dances, group dances, and other gimmicks that result in one or two teams getting a windfall of points.

I had been wondering, just yesterday, if TPTB had been editing out Candace's god-bothering, because I found it hard to believe she'd actually go two weeks without talking about how Jesusy Jesus she Jesuses all the time.  I feel like that was confirmed last night.  What was that?!?  I'm only dancing for God?  Okay.  Go dance for God.  Leave this show for people who can actually dance.

And, I guess if her first dance, as flawed as it was (as explicitly acknowledged by the Judges) is worthy of 9's, then everyone else really is entitled to 10's.

• Love 4
(edited)

Candace and James look too awkward for me to truly enjoy their dances. If they happen to have better performances (like Candace's jazz routine), there's always a "but..." attached to it for me. Even Amy, for all the smoke and mirrors critiques, is a lot more fluid and natural-looking when dancing.

Edited by mehtotheworld
  • Love 2

Ugh!  I just can’t with this show anymore.

I am so very tired of the “aren’t we the bestest friends ev-ah” and “Meryl is so good for Maks” storyline …. It has been done to death on this show.  Also Maks, you really need to style Meryl better.  She is this itty bitty thing yet you managed to make her look clunky, heavy, and awkward.  The shoes that she wore for the swing jive were not flattering and made her look extremely slow and flat footed during the dance.  The shirt and boots were all kinds of wrong for a waltz (though I thought that waltz was entirely too hard edged) and deterred the lines.

Peta is so pretty in rehearsals, I wish she didn’t’ t wear as much make up when performing; it makes her look like a chain smoking, whiskey swilling, 60-year old.  I could tell James was having a blast during the Cha Cha Cha even though the music was weird – for that reason I don’t mind him getting scores.  I like watching the contestants enjoy themselves when dancing over someone being technical perfect.

What a fun quickstep.

Poor Charlie, fell victim to judges’ (calculated) de-pimping of Meryl last week as I noticed lots of people saying they were going to give Meryl all their votes because she needed them and Charlie didn’t.  I also think the choice of Samba music was awful …. How in the world do the powers that be expect Charlie to be all gansta?

Candace continues to entertain; I’ve seen so much growth in her ability and confidence as the season as moved along.  Mark was/is the perfect partner for her – and once again she wins the night for styling.  She always looks lovely.  I wish she would win.

• Love 2
I am so very tired of the “aren’t we the bestest friends ev-ah” and “Meryl is so good for Maks” storyline …. It has been done to death on this show.

It seems like ever since Val and that Soap Opera lady, the show is really committed to an "are they or aren't they" stroryline for as many pro/star pairing as they can plausibly sell it for.

• Love 1

On the plus side, at least this consolidates Meryl and Charlie's fanbase. I was worried that if Meryl and Charlie both made it to the finals, they'd split the votes and let Derek win again. Of course, Maks might still let Derek win, depending on whatever potentially shitastic freestyle he comes up with.

Or it could backfire if people like me, who didn't like the idea of Charlie being scarficed for Meryl decide to use all her allotted votes to push Candace to a win

• Love 1

Poor Charlie, fell victim to judges’ (calculated) de-pimping of Meryl last week as I noticed lots of people saying they were going to give Meryl all their votes because she needed them and Charlie didn’t.

I don't think Charlie's elimination had anything to do with the Abby Lee/Maks/Meryl drama. From everything I've read, Charlie just hasn't been pulling in the votes this season, and this was before Meryl's off week.  As much as I like the guy, and am sorry to see him go, I found myself struggling to remember what he danced by the time each episode is over.

And from a personal standpoint, I find it ridiculous that some people may choose to blame Meryl for Charlie's elimination, she had no control over his votes.

• Love 1
Charlie just hasn't been pulling in the votes this season, and this was before Meryl's off week.

Facebook support predicted weeks and weeks ago that Charlie would wind up exactly where he wound up - edging out Danica, but not Candace.  This was not about splitting votes with Meryl because he's always been ranked way, way below Meryl.  (And by the way, I don't know who decided that Meryl fans had some obligation to vote for CHARLIE.  Meryl fans voted for Meryl because she was their favorite, just like the Amy fans voted for Amy and the Candace fans voted for Candace.  If Charlie didn't earn enough support to get people to vote for him, that's not Meryl's fault.)

• Love 2
From everything I've read, Charlie just hasn't been pulling in the votes this season, and this was before Meryl's off week.

I think the fan-base for the pro factors in as well.  Sharna isn't a newbie, but I bet she doesn't have quite the fan base that Derek, Mark, Maks and Peta have at this point.  

Also (and I hate the way this sounds) but for me Charlie just never came across as a strong, masculine, dance-partner.  The times that they tried to "butch him up", just ended up making him look ridiculous.  

Finally, when there is a group of stars who are all good dancers and who all have established fan bases in their own rights, like we have this season, the casual viewer vote (those folks who will vote for whomever they like best that week) probably gets diluted by getting split amongst that group.

So it probably doesn't take much, one way or the other, to make or break a pairing.

• Love 1

Or it could backfire if people like me, who didn't like the idea of Charlie being scarficed for Meryl decide to use all her allotted votes to push Candace to a win

Nah, their shared fanbase that might have been splitting votes before (which is who I'm assuming the original poster was referring to) is seeing this as another rallying cry for Meryl. If there is any sort of backlash looming among the Charlie fans, I don't see it being directed largely at Meryl. At most some have balked against indirectly voting for Maks...
(edited)

I feel fairly certain that once the three in jeopardy were announced, Charlie saw the writing on the wall. Although Amy actually looked a little panicked right before Tom and Erin called them safe. 

Really thought it would've been Charlie, Meryl, and Danica for the finals, if we're going by best dancers.

Which this show has never done, going all the way back to Season 1.

"Shaking my head" people are breaking toes and ribs and going to therapy to try to learn choreography, yet there's Amy, propped up on a table and receiving 10's like there's no tomorrow.

And by that token, one can say there is Amy having to learn the same dances without two feet. I don't know that you can really use the "other people are having such injuries/disadvantages" argument against a contestant that's dancing with two prosphetic legs. 

Regardless of whoever wins, I hope the freestyles aren't humongous productions.  I don't want to see extra dancers in the routines.

Well they've been shoving the troop into performances all season, you'd hope that most of the pairings would realize it won't be that special having them for the freestyle since it's been done all season.

Funny you should mention that, because Derek's "innovative" choreography was a blatant ripoff of that dance as well as Travis and Heidi's Park Bench dance (choreographed by Mia Michaels) to Celine Dion's Calling You:

I don't see it. Yes there was the move where Derek was under the table and Amy on it and they slid in unison, like Travis and Heidi did with the bench but there were way more intricacies and flips/jumps/turns going on in that dance which is not surprising as it was a contemporary and not a jazz. I saw more similarity with Sabra and Neil's dance but the fact is, which again is why I said I had no issue with the table, the prop being heavily used in Jazz is something that has been done a lot. So if you start calling all dances that employ that a rip off, well a bunch of the choreographers on SYTYCD themselves have been ripping off each other for years.

My problem with the use of the table or the stool used to the extent that they have been in a competition like DWTS is that any other celebrity would've been penalized for "messing about"

Not for a Jazz because unlike all the ballroom styles, Jazz and contemporary do not have any rules. I have never seen Len criticize anyone for "messing about" with regards to these styles. He may say he didn't love it, it wasn't his favorite but he doesn't judge it as he does a VW or Jive or any of the ballroom styles. 

By the way, did Carrie Ann's weave come infested with fleas or something?

That was really weird...and gross. I was like what the hell, does she have lice? I mean she was really digging in that thing.

It seems like ever since Val and that Soap Opera lady, the show is really committed to an "are they or aren't they" stroryline for as many pro/star pairing as they can plausibly sell it for.

Nah the showmances go all the way back to Season 3 with Karina and Mario Lopez and has been a staple ever since.

Didn't see Maks's tantrum but having sat through enough throughout the seasons, I can well imagine and will happily pass. By the way, it's pretty sad how there is this huge expectation that Maks will suck in the freestyle even by some who seem to be rooting for him and Meryl. Hope he's not reading the boards (though I'm sure Maks googles himself) because he may really melt down completely before the finale. 

Finally, it just amazes me how, after so many seasons, so much of the same narratives and patterns that happens on this show, some seem to still take this thing so seriously. I mean I get having favorites, I get being disappointed about the outcomes because I personally would have gladly taken Charlie over James or Candace and goodness knows I really wanted Zendaya to win some seasons ago and Mel B. over Helio.

But I just cannot reconcile the level of anger that seems to be generated over what is essentially a cheesy little show for, in the words of Drew Lachey, a pretty damn ugly trophy. The level of vitriol and nastiness being hurled at some contestants...like really, it is just not that deep imo. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5

Well, count me as one who feels guilty that I threw all votes to Meryl and Charlie is now gone. My heart is with Meryl and Maks, but it's a travesty that Candace, James, and Amy stayed over Charlie.

Like everyone else said, he was just a nice, drama-free guy whose life didn't make for a great reality TV arc. I think if Meryl had been partnered with anyone but Maks, she'd have fallen victim to that as well. 

I just adored Maks as Elvis. That jive was thrilling. The VW was well executed, but I hated the costuming and song choice. 

This is the only season I've ever watched (I came for Meryl and Charlie), but damn if it didn't take me 5 seconds to pick up on the special treatment of Golden Boy Hough. I'll vomit if he wins. Nothing against Amy, but you're not going to tell me she's a better dancer than Meryl. In fact, it's so blatantly obvious how technically superior Meryl is that I worry for her next week. Her win is almost too obvious.

What makes her so special is her ability to emote. I feel I know nothing of the real Meryl Davis, but that doesn't bother me. She inhabits that characters she dances, and that to me is a true artist.

• Love 3

And by that token, one can say there is Amy having to learn the same dances without two feet. I don't know that you can really use the "other people are having such injuries/disadvantages" argument against a contestant that's dancing with two prosphetic legs.

Because that contestant is being treated with kid gloves.  I'll just put it this way. Lean told Charlie his paso doble wasn't special, they would never, ever, say that to Amy.

• Love 6

They're also not calling Meryl out on her poor footwork/footlines and other technical issues that really should be improved by this point in the competition.  ....... I think the judges say and do what they need to to ensure the powers-that-be have show they want.

• Love 5

In a world where Candace gets 9s for forgetting a large chunk of her choreography, seems like especially now you gotta just ignore the judges marks. They're scoring them close enough together that they're throwing it to the audience. (Also everyone left seems so nice! This is my first season paying close attention and it's amazing how much rage this group of seemingly likeable people can generate. Maks mikepack slamming levels of rage ;) 

On another note, the Macy's dance wasn't my favorite, but I am starting to like Mark/Derek/Val as a jazzy little trio. Used here and in the best part Disney opening. 

• Love 2

Well it seems to me like reading the fb likes is pretty accurate (at least for the first two weeks I have done it) - two weeks ago, you could tell Charlie was heading for danger and last week it seemed certain and look.  They pretty solidly indicated a lack of interest in his dances.  I divided my votes between Charlie and Meryl from the beginning because I suspected this and want to watch both till the end.  I feel very sad.

Missed nearly all of last night's show because Buffalo wasn't coming in OTA (got Charlie's NY and Meryl's waltz and that's it), so no comments till I've had some catch up.

They're also not calling Meryl out on her poor footwork/footlines and other technical issues that really should be improved by this point in the competition.  ....... I think the judges say and do what they need to to ensure the powers-that-be have show they want.

This. And I really wasn't commenting on what the judges do or say considering as I've noted, the one consistency about DWTS is that it is inconsistent. I was simply disagreeing with all of these "issues" others in the competition have dealt with and yeah, I'm sorry, two prosthetic legs kind of trumps all of that. 

As for Amy's being treated with kid gloves, yes maybe the judges haven't been as rude or as harsh with her as they might be with others because there is the underlying "we will look like mean jerks if we pick on the girl who has two prosthetic legs" but that being said, I disagree that Amy's scores have always been unfair or that mistakes are never called out.

They called out her and Derek's mistake in their swing when they missed the underhand pass (and fyi, I still say their swing dance was better than Maks and Meryl because they were more in sync throughout the dance), their error in the jive was called out by both Len and CAI (yes Bruno still gave them a 10 but it's Bruno and RedFoo didn't count because like the people on AfterBuzz stated it's not like dude was actually seriously judging any dance), Carrie Ann after saying she couldn't take a point off for Amy's foot coming off the ground for the Waltz, she docked them for it happening in the rumba and told Derek that if he knows there is no way for her foot to not come off the ground in a particular move, don't put it in. Many thought their contemporary was underscored when they didn't even get one 10 and Carrie Ann did call out the lack of synchronicity in the side by side of the jazz and Len called out their not having enough body contact for the Quickstep. 

What I will agree with was that she didn't deserve three 10's for the jazz and not because they used a table but yes, she was off in her timing and threw off the synchronicity with Derek for a key part of the dance. Also, there was the obvious stumble in the Argentine Tango but I really do think the judges did not see that error with the stool because of where they were facing at the time. 

• Love 2
(edited)

They aren't calling Meryl out on poor footwork because they don't think she has poor footwork. They complimented her on her preciseness last night. As for "foot lines"? I mean, a.) who cares but Abby Lee Miller tbh, this is DWTS b.) Candace made mistakes in her first dance and got 9s. Should Meryl really be nitpicked for not having a perfectly pointed foot on a high kick? I don't care for her footwear the past few weeks, but it's probably down to whatever foot injury she's dealing with i.e. Maks saying she was a bad liar about being on her toes not hurting and Erin alluding to it last week, even if no one has mentioned it outright. 

but I am starting to like Mark/Derek/Val as a jazzy little trio

Me too. 

I still say their swing dance was better than Maks and Meryl because they were more in sync throughout the dance)

It's a lot easier to stay in sync when you're doing half as much. There was a lot more difficulty in Maks and Meryl's swing and with both teams having mistakes, Meryl scored just one point higher. 

Edited by fembotz
  • Love 5

I know he's frustrated, I know he's nervous, but ripping off his mic and throwing it across the room is NOT COOL.

That didn't bother me because it was falling off him already.  That's kind of what put him over the edge - it slipped off and was banging around his legs, so he grabbed it and threw it.  Without that happening first, I'd have thought it was kind of childish.  But under the circumstances, I was okay with that.

• Love 4
(edited)
Nah, their shared fanbase that might have been splitting votes before (which is who I'm assuming the original poster was referring to) is seeing this as another rallying cry for Meryl.

Yep, that's it. I'm a member of a couple of figure skating forums, and people. are. PISSED!!1!! about Charlie's elimination and using it as more motivation to vote for Meryl. Dunno if it'll actually accomplish anything - it's not like the figure skating fanbase is anywhere near as powerful or numerous as a lot of other sports' - but at the very least the fanbase won't be split anymore. 

Edited by galax-arena
It's a lot easier to stay in sync when you're doing half as much. There was a lot more difficulty in Maks and Meryl's swing and with both teams having mistakes, Meryl scored just one point higher.

YMMV because I didn't think she was doing half as much. The only difference I saw in Maks/Meryl's swing versus Amy and Derek's was a lot of flips and tricks which clearly, Amy cannot do. And in fact that was the other thing I thought hurt Maks and Meryl's dance. It's like just because she could do it, there didn't need to be 10,000 flips and jumps and tricks. And, again just my opinion, it also caused them to be out of synch for most of the dance. Of course that's neither here nor there with regards to last night's show where my only issue with Meryl is that I thought her costuming for both of her dances were horrible and I actually couldn't comment on whether her footwork was on point for the VW because I couldn't see it with the boots on. 

• Love 1

"Shaking my head" people are breaking toes and ribs and going to therapy to try to learn choreography, yet there's Amy, propped up on a table and receiving 10's like there's no tomorrow.

Well, there is always that pesky 'no lower limbs' business for her to deal with, on the daily. 

Girl lost her legs. Shoot ahead a few years, and there she is, dancing on prosthetics.  If she uses a table, or a stool, or a partner to support her whilst dancing on no legs, I am cool with that.  Because, everyone else there has, you know, legs.

A mirrorball trophy is the least she deserves, but she deserves it, IMHO.

• Love 3
(edited)
Girl lost her legs. Shoot ahead a few years, and there she is, dancing on prosthetics.  If she uses a table, or a stool, or a partner to support her whilst dancing on no legs, I am cool with that.  Because, everyone else there has, you know, legs.

So Amy should be treated with kid gloves?

Her condition was a pre-existing one. She knew what she was getting herself into. Just as I don't have any sympathy for older celebs who sign on and then complain about having to compete against twentysomethings, or non-athletes complaining about going up against athletes, or non-ringers bitching about ringers, I don't have sympathy for someone with a pre-existing handicap being expected to dance at the same level as people without said handicap. (To give credit where it's due, I realize that Amy isn't the one complaining here.)

Fine with me. I'd rather see Candace win than Derek at this point. And I'm writing Derek's name there instead of Amy because let's be honest, this partnership is once again mostly about him. Amy's just along for the ride.

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 6

James is probably a perfectly nice person, but almost everything about his appearance on this show makes me cringe. The fake showmance that Peta seems to think is real, every time he's supposed to extend his arm but doesn't remember until a half-second too late so he just flings it out there, trying to bribe people with signed photos. But after last night, I don't think I'll ever get over the contact embarrassment of watching him try to do Michael Jackson moves. As he was doing the saddest moonwalk ever, I thought not only should he not be allowed to dance to Michael Jackson, he shouldn't be allowed to listen to Michael Jackson. Hell, he shouldn't be allowed to listen to Rebbie Jackson.

On the other hand, I'm pleased to think of how annoyed Mark was that he didn't get the Michael song and had to settle for Janet.

• Love 5
The only difference I saw in Maks/Meryl's swing versus Amy and Derek's was a lot of flips and tricks which clearly, Amy cannot do.

Meryl did amazing lifts that two former pros said they could not do, but she gets no credit for them...because Amy can't do them? 

And Meryl & Maks were not out of sync in most of that swing.  If you pause the video almost anywhere, you can see their feet are in the exact same position.  The two places where they were allegedly out of sync were almost imperceptible, and the first one (after they came down the steps and Meryl was waiting for Maks to get into position) looked more like Maks didn't choreograph anything specific for Meryl to do while he was off mugging for the crowd.

• Love 5
(edited)
Meryl did amazing lifts that two former pros said they could not do, but she gets no credit for them...because Amy can't do them?

I did not say that. I said the difference I saw was that one dance had flips and tricks that the other didn't because the latter celebrity was physically incapable of doing them. I said nothing about Meryl's ability to do those flips. That said, I'm letting this go since the swing dance was Week 2 of the competition. 

A mirrorball trophy is the least she deserves, but she deserves it, IMHO.

I don't think anyone deserves that ugly trophy. I think you can say maybe they earned it but no one deserves or is owed it in my opinion. The show is essentially a popularity contest. So whoever gets more votes, deserved to win in my opinion. It's like all the sulking and bitching Karina and Mario's fans did about his losing to Emmitt. And yeah maybe Mario was technically the better dancer but clearly people either didn't care enough or didn't like him enough to vote as much for him, so he lost. It is what it is. It's like yeah, I absolutely think Charlie was a better dancer than Candace, James and Amy but I wouldn't say they don't deserve to be there.

Their fans voted and they got more votes than him...it is what it is. And again, it's DWTS for crying out loud. Even American Idol at least I can sort of understand the impassioned reaction to it considering the contestants are fighting for a chance at a music career and the show has produced some legitimate stars. But other than an ugly trophy and some weeks of media attention, mostly on ABC, what does one really even get from this show? It's just not that deep or serious imo.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

Dancing is also supposed to appeal to your emotions, it's not all about technique.  If America was more moved by Candace's dances than Charlie's and wanted to keep seeing more of them, then that's perfectly valid too.

• Love 4

But other than an ugly trophy and some weeks of media attention, mostly on ABC, what does one really even get from this show? It's just not that deep or serious imo.

I am not that invested in Amy winning, so I don't really take this show too seriously. I certainly would not describe myself as a passionate viewer. That being said, I think what someone like Amy winning this show might bring to folks with challenges is far more worthwhile than what a Meryl win might bring. Programs like this are indeed frivolous and silly, but sometimes someone like Amy comes along. She brings a gravitas to this show that no one else does.  Amy is the kind of girl who can impact change, and a win on this show highlights what people with disabilities can do. Who knows how many people her win could -I said it- inspire.

Sometimes it feels like Meryl fans think Amy has an unfair advantage, because she gets to dance on prosthetics and therefore is graded on a curve. Just smh.

• Love 2

James is probably a perfectly nice person, but almost everything about his appearance on this show makes me cringe. The fake showmance that Peta seems to think is real, every time he's supposed to extend his arm but doesn't remember until a half-second too late so he just flings it out there, trying to bribe people with signed photos. But after last night, I don't think I'll ever get over the contact embarrassment of watching him try to do Michael Jackson moves. As he was doing the saddest moonwalk ever, I thought not only should he not be allowed to dance to Michael Jackson, he shouldn't be allowed to listen to Michael Jackson. Hell, he shouldn't be allowed to listen to Rebbie Jackson.

On the other hand, I'm pleased to think of how annoyed Mark was that he didn't get the Michael song and had to settle for Janet.

Is it really a showmance if the people in question actually went out before the season was announced and those two people haven't really played into the line of questioning thrown at them? CAI wants you to believe it, the editing monkeys and producers are trying to push it but on the showmance scale I don't see J/P totally playing it up.

(edited)

But other than an ugly trophy and some weeks of media attention, mostly on ABC, what does one really even get from this show? It's just not that deep or serious imo.

Money, potentially more than most people make in several years. Plus the media attention can lead to more money. It's probably sillier for viewers to get so into it, but I can't talk because I'm way invested and spend way too much time on message boards, tumblr, etc...

Is it really a showmance if the people in question actually went out before the season was announced and those two people haven't really played into the line of questioning thrown at them? CAI wants you to believe it, the editing monkeys and producers are trying to push it but on the showmance scale I don't see J/P totally playing it up.

The one time I can really recall is the awkward, completely natural of course remark from the other Big Time Rush person when they visited rehearsal about J/P looking like a married couple or something. 

Edited by mehtotheworld
  • Love 1
(edited)

I was hoping the Amy was going to be the one to go last night.  If not her, then James.  You'd think I'd know by now that reality tv rarely follows the script that I'd like to see.  Well, if nothing else, it got me to vote for the first time all season (for Meryl). 

Speaking of Meryl, I agree that her outfits did her no favors last night.  She looks so tiny that I actually was compelled to Google how much she weighs....because it looks to me like she weighs about 90 pounds.  I was surprised to learn that she weighs 109-110 (she's 5'3") -- it must be all muscle.  I do think it's sweet that Meryl and Charlie seem very supportive of each other.  I guess the two rivalries that were set up at the beginning of the season -- Danica vs. Candace and Meryl vs. Charlie -- didn't really pan out because none of the four seemed all that interested in creating unnecessary drama. 

Edited by MMLEsq

As long as we're talking about being overinvested....

If I'm giving Derek grief for wearing a fucking fedora*, I feel like I'd be amiss in not giving James equal grief for wearing a fucking fedora, too. Actually, James was probably worse because he was wearing his at some sort of ridiculous tilt. Was that supposed to make him look particularly rakish? Because he just looked like a dolt. But then, that's what most young guys nowadays look like when they wear fucking fedoras. Dolts, all of them.

Yes, I realize it was for his dance. But still. Kill the (fucking) fedora.

I know how to focus on the important things here, that's for sure.

* And all its variants. I just say fedora because it's easier than typing out "fedora-type hats." Trilbies and pork pies also fall under the umbrella of "Hats that make guys look like assholes unless they are Frank Sinatra or Indiana Jones. Or this cat."

• Love 5

Damn, I'm so sorry to see Charlie leave. He's a wonderful dancer and just a big fuzzy ball of joy, and it breaks my heart that he left before what I think are lesser talents and personalities. I am not comfortable using words like "deserving" when it comes to the results of reality tv, though. The producers manipulate and play games and the voters have all sorts of befuddling motivations, but everyone knew that when they signed up for it.

So sad that Charlie was eliminated, but now I am hoping that he will get to do part of the freestyle with Meryl. I really, really want to see the two of them dance together without being in skates.Make it happen, Maks!

Oh, no. I adore Meryl and Charlie and I've been getting a kick out of how he can't stop telling everyone how much he loves her since the Olympics. But I've been bothered by how often he got pushed aside to promote her, from the differences in their packages to their uneven judging to him constantly being asked to talk about "the chemistry" instead of himself in interviews. Then TPTB had to go and make his elimination just that more painful for him by pitting him against Meryl. So I don't want to see Charlie reduced to being one of her backup dancers. He'll be spending the next week talking her up as it is. That's enough. Give him and Sharna their own moment in the finale, especially since the show couldn't be bothered to send him off with a farewell package last night.

• Love 4

I am not that invested in Amy winning, so I don't really take this show too seriously. I certainly would not describe myself as a passionate viewer. That being said, I think what someone like Amy winning this show might bring to folks with challenges is far more worthwhile than what a Meryl win might bring. Programs like this are indeed frivolous and silly, but sometimes someone like Amy comes along. She brings a gravitas to this show that no one else does.  Amy is the kind of girl who can impact change, and a win on this show highlights what people with disabilities can do. Who knows how many people her win could -I said it- inspire.

Sometimes it feels like Meryl fans think Amy has an unfair advantage, because she gets to dance on prosthetics and therefore is graded on a curve. Just smh.

Just to be clear, although my comment was initiated by your saying she deserves to win, it actually wasn't directed at you or any one in particular. Just wanted to be clear and apologize if it seemed like I was attacking your comment. It was more my general observation that no one really deserves to win which tied into my opinion that sometimes the whole thing is just taken way too seriously. As someone else noted, Charlie White just won an Olympic gold medal, an achievement of more than a decade of training, sacrifice, etc. Somehow I think he'll be fine with his not making the finals of DWTS. 

• Love 3
ITA with what others have said about him throwing the mic being inappropriate and childish. Hopefully he can have his existential choreographer's crisis at Val or Tony or somebody instead of Meryl this week. She has enough to deal with.

And I'll chime in with another ITA.  Meryl deserved to be assigned a professional partner, a mature adult.  She should be able to lean on him, but no....she has to prop him up.  Week after week!  So ridiculous that Maks is throwing himself a pity party for having the best dancer in the competition.  

Charlie is a nice, charming, funny guy.  It is utterly absurd that the producers could not create video packages for him showing his charm and humor.  It's unbelievable to me that we never saw this Instagram clip on DWTS

http://instagram.com/p/nk2ZxFk5O2/

Charlie on ice with his dog!  Overflowing cuteness!  His dog, named DJ -- for Candace's character on Full House!  And the producers never showed this bit of cuteness, tied in perfectly to another contestant.  

Damn it all.  Producer malpractice, I'm calling it.

I can't see it as a big travesty that James and Candace are in the finals, though.  Last season Jack Osbourne and Bill Engvall were in the finals, and they weren't the best dancers of their season, either.  It's how DWTS works.

Candace and Mark are a very sweet, likable couple, and Candace has some athletic abilities.  I can see Mark putting together a killer freestyle for her, and the voters swinging for her big time.  It's not out of the realm of possibility that she could take the trophy next week, imo.  As always, it will come down to the freestyle.

• Love 2
(edited)

I am wondering at my own choice of words, 'deserving' to win a trophy on a reality show. Yeah, I don't know that Amy or anyone else 'deserves' to win. Maybe it's a poor word for what I mean. I find the journey of a young woman literally cut down in the prime of her life rising above that and dancing her way to a finish a way more satisfactory story than a young woman trained in dance all her life winning a dance competition on the heels of an Olympic medal for...dancing.  So, instead of saying Amy 'deserves' to win, I guess I should say it would be more satisfying to me, personally, if she did.

I am  flabbergasted at the passion of some of Meryl's fans. I get wanting someone to win, but I don't get wanting someone to win so much that people are willing to say the most heinous things about a girl with no legs attempting to dance. 

Just wanted to be clear and apologize

No need. Your post was thought provoking, and I am grateful. It's good to wonder why I think what I do, and to challenge that thinking. I didn't take it personally, and in fact, I enjoy the discussion. :)

Edited by JustAlison
  • Love 1

I am  flabbergasted at the passion of some of Meryl's fans. I get wanting someone to win, but I don't get wanting someone to win so much that people are willing to say the most heinous things

I've seen a lot of terrible comments thrown at Meryl, too, and all of the other contestants. Every fanbase has some nasty elements.

• Love 4

Why was Meryl wearing a party favor? Did Maks choose that white skirt thing? Yikes.

Since when is "I'm Coming Out" a samba song? Or maybe I'm confused.

I've seen a lot of terrible comments thrown at Meryl, too, and all of the other contestants. Every fanbase has some nasty elements.

This is what always gets me. If people like this spent half as much time voting for their favorite as they do going on message boards, social media, etc. and tearing down other contestants just to prop their favorite up, there wouldn't be so much discrepancy.

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't think anyone here is saying anything "heinous" about Amy. A lot of people just feel like her dances the past two weeks have been overscored.

And I'll chime in with another ITA.  Meryl deserved to be assigned a professional partner, a mature adult.  She should be able to lean on him, but no....she has to prop him up.  Week after week!  So ridiculous that Maks is throwing himself a pity party for having the best dancer in the competition.

That was my comment about the mic thing being childish and inappropriate, but to be fair, I *do* think that she can and is leaning on Maks. The other day she had to pick a word to describe him, and she chose "nurturing," and I believe her. During salsa week they talked about how Meryl got very upset in one of their rehearsals and Maks had to tell her it's okay to get upset and not put on a happy face all the time, and it's okay to be tired, and tell him what hurts so he can work around it, etc. And it's obvious how at ease she feels with him in their interviews and things. I think the show is just really pushing the whole Beauty and the Beast thing with them. It doesn't excuse the moment, but I don't think it defines their partnership.

Edited by fembotz
  • Love 6

Charlie is a nice, charming, funny guy.  It is utterly absurd that the producers could not create video packages for him showing his charm and humor.  It's unbelievable to me that we never saw this Instagram clip on DWTS

http://instagram.com/p/nk2ZxFk5O2/

Charlie on ice with his dog!  Overflowing cuteness!  His dog, named DJ -- for Candace's character on Full House!  And the producers never showed this bit of cuteness, tied in perfectly to another contestant. 

Damn it all.  Producer malpractice, I'm calling it.

Damn!  You are so right!  Here I was blaming America for not throwing their votes to Charlie, but it really is all about manipulation.  So Charlie and Sharna didn't have any drama, other than being tired and wanting a perfect score (which pissed off some people).  Why didn't the producers focus on this adorable, loving every-mother's-dream of a young man with floppy hair and a charming laugh?  Oh yeah, because All American loses to sexy bad boy persona.

What a fucking shame.

• Love 3
But I've been bothered by how often he got pushed aside to promote her, from the differences in their packages to their uneven judging

I don't know why these things are blamed on Meryl.  Week after week, Charlie's packages were shorter than everyone else's.  The people getting the longest packages have been Amy and Candace.  I added up the times one week - Charlie got 40 seconds, Candace got 3 minutes, Danica and Amy got well over 2 1/2 minutes.  Meryl, James and Nene's packages were all around 1 1/2 minutes.  And yet Meryl was picked out of that group and accused of getting "double the time" Charlie got.

And the scoring has been all over the place, I don't see how you can make a case that Charlie's marks have been any more WTF than Meryl's marks.  Last week, Charlie was at the top of the leaderboard and Meryl was dead last, and nobody blamed Meryl's scores on Charlie.

• Love 6

Well coming from this Meryl fan, my opinion of Amy has nothing to do with Meryl. Whether she was on the show or not, I would still feel the same about Amy. Amy has said she doesn't wanted to be treated any different. I haven't been impressed with her dances (the exception being her quickstep and when she danced with Mark).

I have tremendous respect for her and everything she has overcame, but I haven't been all that impressed with her dancing.

• Love 7

Yeah and Meryl's had challenges to overcome too. I know most people don't think dyslexia and depth perception are as big a deal but I have a kid with both and trust me - it's not easy. It's a life struggle when you have trouble reading too.  Most people do have something to overcome. Amy's are more visible.  She could be doing a lot more - she proved that tonight. I don't blame her for Dancing With the Props as much as I blame Derek.  I like Amy - I just like Meryl more. I have no issue with Amy in the final but James - I'm just not seeing it. 

And I hate Oprah but that's not Amy's fault. I don't think people dislike Amy so much as some hate that Derek seems to be golden boy and he's really appeared not to let Amy go to her full potential. We've gotten glimpses of it - the quickstep last night and switch week and I saw it in the group dance. 

• Love 8

This is what always gets me. If people like this spent half as much time voting for their favorite as they do going on message boards, social media, etc. and tearing down other contestants just to prop their favorite up, there wouldn't be so much discrepancy.

Well to be fair, they may be doing both. Some people are awesome multi-taskers. I'm sure they could fit in writing horrible stuff about people they don't know personally on message boards in between redialing.

• Love 2

Yeah and Meryl's had challenges to overcome too. I know most people don't think dyslexia and depth perception are as big a deal but I have a kid with both and trust me - it's not easy. It's a life struggle when you have trouble reading too. Most people do have something to overcome. Amy's are more visible. She could be doing a lot more - she proved that tonight. I don't blame her for Dancing With the Props as much as I blame Derek. I like Amy - I just like Meryl more. I have no issue with Amy in the final but James - I'm just not seeing it.

And I hate Oprah but that's not Amy's fault. I don't think people dislike Amy so much as some hate that Derek seems to be golden boy and he's really appeared not to let Amy go to her full potential. We've gotten glimpses of it - the quickstep last night and switch week and I saw it in the group dance.

This is where I think people have misconceptions about Amy. She is an athletic specimen, and is making things look easier than they might actually be for her. It's making people say the choreography is too easy or whatever. But, do we actually know that? I think she can do more to a point, but there are limitations.

(edited)

I don't blame her for Dancing With the Props as much as I blame Derek.  I like Amy - I just like Meryl more. I have no issue with Amy in the final but James - I'm just not seeing it. 

This! I don't blame Amy for the fact that Derek has her sit on her ass for over half of a dance, because Derek's the one making those decisions.  I blame him, and I blame the show (and, especially the 3 fools slobbering all over him every chance they get, week after week, season after season) for getting him to the point where he thinks it's totally fine to shortchange his partner's ability to learn and grow by hiding and masking.  Yes, SOME of the jazz dance being done on a table (or chair) would be cool, but I swear, she took, maybe, what, six dance steps down on her feet without her ass or back on that table?  That's on Derek.  And it's on the judges that they fawned all over it and, even when the out of sync issues was directly mentioned, there was only one of four judges who managed to shake her lips off Derek's ass long enough to drop a point off their score for such a glaring mistake.  When CAI is the rational one, the rest of them have a problem.  

So, yeah, any shade I'm throwing, wondering about whether Amy's freestyle is going to be her sitting on the judges' table while Derek does one of his Macy's dances, that's shade being thrown at Derek and the judges.  

Although, a moment of contempt for whoever did Amy's makeup for their last dance.  Whenever the camera was close up she looked like a rough truck stop waitress about 20 years older than she is.  

Side note, I REALLY hope we're not getting a guest judge for the finals...unless turnabout is fair play and we're going to get Val sitting in that seat after Julianne doing it twice.  

Edited by KerleyQ
  • Love 4

I don't know why these things are blamed on Meryl.

I'm not blaming them on Meryl, and I certainly didn't mean to imply any of it is her fault. She has no control over the judging or the editing. But the show used their partnership to set them up as rivals, and played a zero sum game with them right down to the very end. Even Charlie saw it, and it pissed him off - 

The thing is, you don't know if it's always the bottom two," Charlie explained. "Honestly to me, that felt contrived. I wasn't happy that they pitted me against Meryl like that.

I do believe that Charlie got the short end of that stick more than Meryl did, and I just don't want to see TPTB use him like that again next week - he deserves better.

• Love 2