Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E09: Week 9 : The Semi-Finals

• Start Topic

TPTB are so transparent. As soon as Amy and Charlie were announced as being in jeopardy, I assumed that Meryl would be called under the red lights as well, and that if Amy was safe, she'd be called first so that the show could play up Meryl versus Charlie.

On the plus side, at least this consolidates Meryl and Charlie's fanbase. I was worried that if Meryl and Charlie both made it to the finals, they'd split the votes and let Derek win again. Of course, Maks might still let Derek win, depending on whatever potentially shitastic freestyle he comes up with.

Could the fawning over Derek (and Amy) have been any more nauseating? "Derek, I salute you." "Derek, you redefine choreography for this generation." Why not just offer to blow Derek and be done with it? Amy seemed like a total afterthought. And it was crazy that they acted that way over yet another routine where they wasted so much time on a chair - I'm sorry, I mean table. I know that Candace and Mark used chairs in their jazz routine as well, but in the latter's case at least it didn't feel like a total crutch.

Speaking of Candace, I haven't been that enthused about her, but it was pretty endearing to see her go crazy when she was announced as safe.

So over Maks and Meryl's partnership being so much about Maks' insecurities. Meryl has the patience of a saint, but I guess she's used to dealing with drama in her sport.

It's so fitting that Derek likes to wear fedoras/trilbies/pork pies.

• Love 4

Three 10s for another dance where half of it was spent sitting, this time on a table? Come on. 

Sad about Charlie. I just adored his personality. Don't think James, Candace, or even Amy deserve to be in the finals any more than he did but oh, well. I voted for him, not much else to do. Sigh.

• Love 6

Whelp. Called it. Getting a perfect score on the night Meryl was at the bottom was likely the kiss of death for Charlie - lulled people who might have been splitting votes to pitch them all to Meryl. 

On the bright side, looking pretty good for a Meryl win now that she likely gets all his voters. And yaaaay, another Amy/Derek week! I just want to see what they do for freestyle. The finals is all I wanted for them. 

(That Maks temper tantrum was not cute though. Grown men who pound or throw things when they get frustrated is pretty high on my list of things I have no patience for. Grow the fuck up. I'll be happy to see them win, but color me not impressed by that display.) 

• Love 1

Well, that was the biggest bunch of bullshit I've ever seen.  Not one, but two inferior dancers make it to the finals.  Well, at least I have this monkey off my back, and won't need to watch DWTS any more.

Let's see if Maks can really make "the best" dancer a winner with his lackluster choreography - his head may explode next week from the pressure.  I really wanted to see him leave, if he wins can he go away again and not come back? 

I never used to have a problem with Derek, but the Oprah phone call and the cannonization of him by the judges sent me over the edge.

I hope every Christian and teenage girl (and CAI) vote hard this week.  If I can't have a Charlie win, I'll take Candace or James. 

TPTB are so transparent. As soon as Amy and Charlie were announced as being in jeopardy, I assumed that Meryl would be called under the red lights as well, and that if Amy was safe, she'd be called first so that the show could play up Meryl versus Charlie.

On the plus side, at least this consolidates Meryl and Charlie's fanbase. I was worried that if Meryl and Charlie both made it to the finals, they'd split the votes and let Derek win again. Of course, Maks might still let Derek win, depending on whatever potentially shitastic freestyle he comes up with.

Could the fawning over Derek (and Amy) have been any more nauseating? "Derek, I salute you." "Derek, you redefine choreography for this generation." Why not just offer to blow Derek and be done with it? Amy seemed like a total afterthought. And it was crazy that they acted that way over yet another routine where they wasted so much time on a chair - I'm sorry, I mean table. I know that Candace and Mark used chairs in their jazz routine as well, but in the latter's case at least it didn't feel like a total crutch.

It's so fitting that Derek likes to wear fedoras/trilbies/pork pies.

Nailed it. I wonder if they'll just drag a whole kitchen set out for the freestyle.

I'm hopeful people who have been splitting or voting for Charlie will now support Meryl. You're right, the three of them would have been bad for Meryl and Charlie.

And I let out an audible laugh at that last bit.

• Love 1
On the bright side, looking pretty good for a Meryl win now that she likely gets all his voters.

Yep.  No more vote splitting.  All of Charlie's votes will now go to Meryl and then Maks' road to finally winning the mirror ball will be complete.  I shouldn't even watch next week because obvious win here.

• Love 1

Well, that was the biggest bunch of bullshit I've ever seen.  Not one, but two inferior dancers make it to the finals.  Well, at least I have this monkey off my back, and won't need to watch DWTS any more.

Yeah that's my biggest problem with this show too. Not so much that people will vote for their favorites because that will always happen but with the judges scoring on such a heavy curve that inferior dancers with less content get the same scores as better dances with more content they're just pretty much saying "It's up to you America, we don't care" and then they have the gall to be upset about the results.

That's what gets me more than anything. And the reason why I haven't watched in years. Dang Danica, Charlie and Meryl for making me want to watch this year!

• Love 1
(edited)

Felt like the judges know something in their comments for Charlie.  Nitpicking.  His foxtrot was elegant and  maybe a little too skate-y at the end.  I really wanted more of a dance flourish.

I don't think you can get more dance flourish-y than a double pirouette at the end. That foxtrot was just delightful and perfect, and I'm glad that at least Charlie gets to go out on a high note.

Really thought it would've been Charlie, Meryl, and Danica for the finals, if we're going by best dancers. Instead, I guess I root for Meryl by default. I like her well enough, but the continuous drama and passionate dances all kind of run together for me.

I was ready to like Amy again after that quickstep where she actually danced, but then that thing on the table happened. Not even that, but the obvious missed choreography still got three 10s?

James had no hip action whatsoever, I have no idea what Carrie Ann was talking about. I like Candace and have fond childhood memories of Full House, but really don't think either she or James should be in the finals.

Edited by Victura
  • Love 2

I'm sorry, but I don't enjoy watching James.  I just don't.  He and Peta just scream 'desperate', especially after the signed photo admission.  I'm baffled as to why women are throwing themselves at him and I AM a woman. 

Candace is sweet and I like her a lot, but her winning this show would be so, so wrong. 

As much as I like Amy and think she's a great role model for people, I'm tired of her being parked on furniture and calling it dancing.  The quickstep they did was great, but their jazz number was not.  And if Derek wins three in a row I'm done with this show for good.

I want Meryl to win, have since the start, but I hope she's got some good mojo stored away for Maks because he may have a meltdown before next week and she does NOT deserve that.  I know he's frustrated, I know he's nervous, but ripping off his mic and throwing it across the room is NOT COOL.  So at this rate, I'm voting for Meryl, but not necessarily Maks. 

• Love 6
(edited)

I doubt I'll watch next week. I hope Meryl wins but I don't know if I can go through another tongue bath. I try to determine how a dance would be scored if someone else performed it. If Meryl or even Candace did that dance, it would have received 8 or 9s.

I'm baffled as to why women are throwing themselves at him and I AM a woman.

Totally agree. James still doesn't do it for me.

Edited by bearcatfan
  • Love 2
(edited)

I'm so tired of the fawning over Amy. Oprah? Really? Phone call from oprah, the "when you win", go home already.

I'm right there with you! I also am unreasonably frustrated with her jazz on a table tonight. On a table. Sitting. Again. I feel like anything I say is mean so I'm just going with Arrgghh!

Also, could Kenny Ortega's tongue be lodged any further up Derek's ass?

Choreographer of a generation? I'll give Derek credit because I do think he is good, but the voice of our time? Shut! Up!

ETA: I'm happy for Candace, I hope her finale includes the cast of Full House for John Stamos alone.

I'm happy for her too & I'd love the whole FH crew to show up.

James and Peta were tweeting that they'd give away signed pictures to any fans who could show proof they voted for them 1,000 times last week.

Really? I don't do the Twitter. They're free to do whatever they want but that kind of skeeves me out. Although as a non-voter I guess I don't get a vote. So to speak.

For the first time ever....shut the fuck up Tom.

It makes me so sad to completely agree with you. Shocking, never expected, can't believe. We get it.

The music stunk even for DWTS stinky music. A 10 has no meaning when it's given out constantly. I'd rather see the judges routinely hand out 5s & 6s & then build up slowly. You showed up & twirled without falling? 10!

Edited by ramble
  • Love 4
(edited)

Omg you guys.. come on! You have to be my eyes.

I dont' have tv access where I am unless I can find a streaming  online link dammit

Had to quote this because it's exactly how I feel every week.   No doubt there are other West Coasters who feel the same, sitting in  the dark and "seeing" the events through your witty posts while waiting for the show to finally air out here in Last-To-Know Territory.    I like being able to read your comments  as the show is actually happening.   I'm a spoiler junky and like to know what to expect.    

Now I'm prepared for darling Charlie's premature departure.    I don't like those kinds of surprises.   

Edited by crocosmia
  • Love 1

"Shaking my head" people are breaking toes and ribs and going to therapy to try to learn choreography, yet there's Amy, propped up on a table and receiving 10's like there's no tomorrow.

I'm sorry to see Charlie go, I was sorry to see Danica go, I'm even sorrier to see Candace and James in the finals. Candace is the lesser of the two evils, if I'm being honest, but James is the blandest bland that ever blanded.

I felt sorry for Meryl, I can't imagine how awkward that must have been. You could tell she had no idea how to react when she was safe and Charlie was eliminated.

• Love 13

I think the waltz was the best dance Maks has ever choreographed.

Truthfully, I was so distracted by her skirt, I didn't see it. Maybe I'm in a minority, but i thought the skirt was horrid.

• Love 2

Oh. Tonight I actually found myself cheering for Amy after that Quickstep. That dance actually deserved all the "inspirational!" commentary being thrown her way all season. It actually was amazing watching her quickstep across that floor. I thought it was fantastic and proved she could have been doing so much more all season than being carried around like a rag doll. Then out comes a table. Sigh. That slide was very cool but the rest was just ridiculous. 

I can't believe James made the finals. I don't get it. At all. 

Sad to see Charlie to go but not really surprised. 

• Love 5

I'm so bummed for Charlie.  He certainly deserves to be in the finals above James or Candace.  He and Sharna were a wonderful pair and I'll miss his positive energy and spirit.  You know he's going to be campaigning for Meryl hard now.

• Love 4

Truthfully, I was so distracted by her skirt, I didn't see it. Maybe I'm in a minority, but i thought the skirt was horrid.

I love Meryl but I HATED that skirt. It looked like a bunch of Kleenex that went through a shredder. But for Meryl it would be Puffs. (Davis and White sponsor)

I didn't think Maks scared her with his throwing things. (Grrr Maks - really, grow the you know what up, dude.) I thought she looked pissed. I did like the way she made fun of him to get him out of his funk. 

I'm still grieving Charlie. Meryl looked sad when they said it.

James is just a whole lot of nothing to me and Peta is - to quote Mr. Soapfan - a Jenny McCarthy look a like with an accent that's been rode hard and put up wet. I did like her dress tonight for the Rumba/Rhumba. Better than James' shirt for sure. 

I miss Danica and Val. Ok, I liked Danica but I love Val. I've been watching old clips with him and Zendaya. Now that girl can dance.

• Love 2

I'm so bummed for Charlie.  He certainly deserves to be in the finals above James or Candace.  He and Sharna were a wonderful pair and I'll miss his positive energy and spirit.  You know he's going to be campaigning for Meryl hard now.

Same here, but I also think Candace is the lesser of 2 evils.

The Meryl and Charlie shippers are going to have a field day with the "I love you" he shouted to Meryl at the end.

Amy impressed me the QuickStep but then the table. She sat more on the table than she did on the stool last week.

• Love 1

As soon as we got the bonus mini package of Charlie, I knew he was a goner. That said, it was incredibly entertaining.

I'm kind of livid about Amy's jazz scores and bored by the level of praise heaped on Derek. I've been pulling for a Meryl or Charlie win, but now I'm kind of just pulling for Amy to lose. I never wanted her to win but I wasn't actively routing against her before tonight. That jazz and the choreographer of the generation finally did me in.

• Love 5

Yep.  No more vote splitting.  All of Charlie's votes will now go to Meryl and then Maks' road to finally winning the mirror ball will be complete.  I shouldn't even watch next week because obvious win here.

This is exactly what makes me laugh about the conspiracy theories though. "Obviously, it's set it up for a Maks win." "Obviously, they're propping Amy up so Derek wins again." 

I just try to put myself in the shoes of someone producing this show - I just want a story I can spin, and melodrama along the way. If I was smart, I'd set up the season to give myself several 'outs' on storylines, try to make sure everyone that's in the final has some sort of story to highlight, and if I can get a shocker along the way to get people talking, awesome for me! I probably want some great dancers in there, but also a few people that the audience can see themselves in a little bit - don't want to make it seem to unattainable. Giving myself a final where only one desirable winner is left doesn't seem smart for me at all. I think they've set it up where they'd be happy with any of the winners. The one out of the four left with the least amount of "sellable story" for me is James - his main storyline all season has been showmance, and he's now being upstaged by Maks and Meryl. (The worst dancer, obvy, being Candace, but they can point to her and say, "Look how wholesome and relatable!") 

• Love 1

And why was she wearing boots?  Was it Country themed?

It sort of seemed like it? Didn't think the song necessarily called for it though. It's probably actually because she has a toe injury - I'm guessing that's why she hasn't been in ballroom heels for a few weeks now.

And why was she wearing boots?  Was it Country themed?

Was the song country? Since it was "American Icons" night, I felt like I should know the song but I don't think I've ever heard that song before. What was it? I feel a bit foolish even asking. LOL

It sort of seemed like it? Didn't think the song necessarily called for it though. It's probably actually because she has a toe injury - I'm guessing that's why she hasn't been in ballroom heels for a few weeks now.

Was the song country? Since it was "American Icons" night, I felt like I should know the song but I don't think I've ever heard that song before. What was it? I feel a bit foolish even asking. LOL

I don't know.  I didn't actually see the dance.  I'm going off the clip at the end when they were showing the numbers.  I was like, "Look at that skirt.  Why is she wearing boots?"  From what I heard of the song, it didn't sound like country.

(edited)

Amy was way off in her timing with the side by side with Derek (CAI was right) and so for a number of bars they weren't doing the same thing at all, so for that, she should not have gotten all those 10's. That said, maybe it's because I watch shows like SYTYCD and many other dance shows but I'm really baffled by the whole they used a prop so clearly she wasn't dancing. It's the same debate that was had about Amber's jazz because she sat on a chair for about 20 seconds and did hand movements.

Dance is imo, a person's entire body. As long as the performer is moving in some way, they are dancing. Just because Amy was on a table does not mean there was no choreography or she wasn't performing. Like Carrie Ann, I thought that slide down the table was on point - her upper body posture was gorgeous and she had a lot of sex appeal. Not to mention, that it was a jazz number. I cannot begin to count the number of jazz numbers I've seen with many props that the dancers weave within the performance. So just like the issue with the stool last week, I disagree about the table. But I will agree she was horribly not synchronized at one point. 

I did not understand the fashion choices made for Meryl this week. I hated both the jive and the VW outfits and both ruined her lines for me. I could tell she was hitting some gorgeous lines for the VW but it was hard to see and appreciate it with that "I looked like I just skinned a sheep and wore it around my waist" skirt she was wearing, mixed with those heavy, clunky boots. And I really, really hated the jive outfit which made some of the movements in the dance look weird and awkward, particularly because the outfit was not flattering for her frame. 

Charlie was gorgeous and it absolutely sucks that James has outlasted him but that really is the nature of this show. Charlie unfortunately for him was too much of normal, nice guy with no drama and as such there was no story with him and Sharna and as a result he just got lost in the mix. The judges' nitpicking and lowballing of him for a number of weeks certainly didn't help either. 

This is exactly what makes me laugh about the conspiracy theories though. "Obviously, it's set it up for a Maks win." "Obviously, they're propping Amy up so Derek wins again."

That's why Grassy Knoll threads for these types of shows are always so entertaining...

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3

I was sorry to see Charlie go.  He seems like a really likeable guy and I really enjoyed his dancing. 

My choice for elimination would've been Candace.  Not a fan of all the religion talk.  Her Jazz routine just seemed like it was a tad bit too slow.  I think Candace thinks too much and just comes off as hesitant.  Say what you will about James, but at least he attacks his dance.  I thought he did a great cha-cha-cha.  The movements were sharp and he was in sync with Peta.   I thought James rumba was decent and I totally agreed with the judges that his hands were stiff, so I thought his score was fair.  Very excited to see what kind of freestyle they plan.

I do think Amy is overscored and that the judges are afraid to criticize her.  She and Derek are definitely getting away with stuff that other pairs would've been penalized on.

I voted for James and am rooting for him, but think this will come down to Meryl vs Amy.   Among those two, I would prefer Meryl to win, because I'm tired of Derek always winning and even though he can be an ass most of the time, it would be nice to see Maks win a MBT.  That being said, I think Derek will kill Maks in the freestyle choreography department and Amy definitely has the sympathetic vote going so I think its set up for another Derek victory.

Regardless of whoever wins, I hope the freestyles aren't humongous productions.  I don't want to see extra dancers in the routines.  I want the freestyles to be about the pro and their dancer, their skills and what they've learned this season.  A couple lifts here and there, but it shouldn't be your whole routine.

• Love 2

Amy was way off in her timing with the side by side with Derek (CAI was right) and so for a number of bars they weren't doing the same thing at all, so for that, she should not have gotten all those 10's. That said, maybe it's because I watch shows like SYTYCD and many other dance shows but I'm really baffled by the whole they used a prop so clearly she wasn't dancing. It's the same debate that was had about Amber's jazz because she sat on a chair for about 20 seconds and moved did hand movements.

Dance is imo, a person's entire body. As long as the performer is moving in some way, they are dancing. Just because Amy was on a table does not mean there was no choreography or she wasn't performing. Like Carrie Ann, that slide down the table was on point - her upper body posture was gorgeous and she had a lot of sex appeal. Not to mention, that it was a jazz number. I cannot begin to count the number of jazz numbers I've seen with many props that the dancers weave within the performance. So just like the issue with the stool last week, I disagree about the table. But I will agree she was horribly not synchronized at one point. 

So much of this! In fact, one of my favorite SYTYCD dances was a jazz around a table (this one, with Neil and Sabra). I do need to go back and watch the Derek/Amy one on a clearer picture since I was using a shitty live stream.

You know, I'm really angry at Sharna.  I think she was throwing too much crap at Charlie.  She was putting everything but the kitchen sink into the choreography instead of letting Charlie go out there and really show what he could do.  She did it again with the New York song with a cane and a hankie.  Good grief, woman!!!   

Don't think Charlie should've gone home.  I would've sent James or Candace home, but it is what it is.   

• Love 2

I really don't think Charlie going home had anything to do with Sharna's choreography. Even if she had simplified the choreography he still would have been overshadowed by the showmance pair, the underdog Christian mother of three, the tween Idol guy and his half-naked pro and the double amputee. I've said it before, Charlie simply suffered from not having a story and with regards to this show "a journey". He was sweet, a good dancer and he and Sharna got along. All great things and goodness knows I would have taken Charlie over James (and really what is with that dude and throwing out his lame signed picture, like do people even still do that? Wasn't that like some 90's pop/teen idol thing) but following this show since the first season and getting a sense of how the people who watch tend to vote, yeah I'm not surprised he went home.

• Love 5
I really don't think Charlie going home had anything to do with Sharna's choreography.

Nope, it's not Sharna's fault at all.  Last week Charlie had the second highest score 78/80 (should have been 80/80 but for Sharna's mistake), and yet he still got lost in the shuffle.  I has a sad.

• Love 2
(edited)

Hated the music this week other than the Foxtrot to New York/New York, everything else seemed out of place with special note to Charlie's samba and Meryl's VW.  I would have loved to see the Meryl/Maks VW with a traditional song and flowing dress but instead we get and outfit more out of Little Dancehouse on the Prarie.  This late in the season I really want music that gets my heart beating but instead I felt my ears bleeding.

Sorry to see you go Charlie.

Edited by OtterChaos
  • Love 3

So much of this! In fact, one of my favorite SYTYCD dances was a jazz around a table (this one, with Neil and Sabra). I do need to go back and watch the Derek/Amy one on a clearer picture since I was using a shitty live stream.

Funny you should mention that, because Derek's "innovative" choreography was a blatant ripoff of that dance as well as Travis and Heidi's Park Bench dance (choreographed by Mia Michaels) to Celine Dion's Calling You:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEJq_1yw1H0

• Love 2
(edited)

I've always loved the table dance but the bench is overrated. Speaking of SYTYCD, I was distracted during Derek and Amy's routine by the music thinking of Mackenzie and Jakob's stellar broadway to the same mix of Too Darn Hot.

My problem with the use of the table or the stool used to the extent that they have been in a competition like DWTS is that any other celebrity would've been penalized for "messing about" or not showing a diverse range of movement. The DWTS pros are often called out for content whereas the SYTYCD choreographers never are. (Not that I think Neil/Sabra table dance was lacking in content) The pros do it to disguise weakness or get the crowd on their side and I like that Len is a stickler for it because then every week would turn into freestyle week. Amy has proved that she is capable. I understand that she presents unique challenges to traditional routines but she's not being judged on a level playing field.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 2

By the way, did Carrie Ann's weave come infested with fleas or something?  The way she kept scratching at her head made me wonder if Len needed to buy a bug bomb or if she just needed to invest in a better moisturizer for her scalp.

• Love 4
(edited)

I loved both of Maks and Meryl's dances, and I do think she should win the competition next week.  I hope Maks choreographs an awesome freestyle routine.

Derek and Amy's Quickstep was awesome.  The change in Amy's "legs" really made a difference, and she was able to do justice to the dance.

I am surprised that Candace was safe this week and will go to the finals.  I have nothing against her personally, but in the grand scheme of things, IMO she is the least talented of the semi-finalists.  If they get rid of one more couple in order to have a final three on Tuesday, I hope she is the one who goes.

Edited by Sharon825
  • Love 2

My problem with the use of the table or the stool used to the extent that they have been in a competition like DWTS is that any other celebrity would've been penalized for "messing about" or not showing a diverse range of movement. The DWTS pros are often called out for content whereas the SYTYCD choreographers never are. (Not that I think Neil/Sabra table dance was lacking in content) The pros do it to disguise weakness or get the crowd on their side and I like that Len is a stickler for it because then every week would turn into freestyle week. Amy has proved that she is capable. I understand that she presents unique challenges to traditional routines but she's not being judged on a level playing field.

There's also the issue that this is the first "travelling" dance that they've had to do all season and they're the only couple who has been assigned all of the "special" dances that allow lifts. I was really impressed with the Quickstep. I wish they had brought the blades out earlier in the season, most especially for the waltz where they struggled to achieve the rise and fall required for the dance. 

• Love 1
(edited)

During the first dance it seemed Candace was struggling to keep up with Mark.  But she looked lovely, and she was so cute and honestly grateful and delighted when she was called safe and later when she received her higher scores.   Her second dance was very fun and Broadwayesque.  She's been a classy gal throughout.    She actually has been pretty reserved with the "religion talk" that many anticipated.   I thought her words tonight were appropriate and meaningful, especially since the theme was about who inspires the contestants.   This is who she is, and she has every reason to express that as the other contestants do.  

Charlie's waltz was delightful.  Charlie is delightful.   NO WAY should he be leaving while lesser talents with less complicated choreography  remain.   Sharna is a creative choreographer, and it would have been nice to see a Sharna/Charlie freestyle.   I agree with those who have remarked that Charlie just doesn't generate the background drama that seems to enchant voters.  He's too grounded and cheerful for the  competition of backstage stories.   Those are not about the dance -- they're about showmances,  overcoming disabilites, rising from terrible life circumstances, baring chests and barely covering bottoms, and having the bestest dance-god golden partner of this and all generations.

The fake surprise when Oprah called was pretty funny.    Oh, Oprah, you are such an inspiration.   No, no, Amy, it's you.  You're the inspiration.   Aw, Oprah, no, YOU really, really inspire ME.   But, Amy, you are so amazing.  And so on.  

That being said, Amy really did a nice job with her first dance.  Those blades looked light and springy and enhanced her natural athleticism.   On the other hand, the table dance was - surprise - overscored.   As others have said, it has been done before, and for me, sometimes jazz is too much like contemporary -- a lot of posing and rolling around and too much of the horizontal and not enough of the vertical to be deemed a genuine dance.

James is not exciting in the least, even less for me now that he's somehow outlasted Charlie.   He's just cute, that's all, though a bit impressed with himself, probably due to the drooliness of people like CAI and Bruno.   Sit down, CAI, before someone really does turn a hose on you.

Meryl and Maks -- love watching them.  They're all I got left.   Please win.

It should have been a Charlie/Meryl/Danica finale.  Boy, was I wrong.   I was sure it would be something like that. 

So - another Derek finale, maybe even a win, which will not be fun at all.

Edited by crocosmia
  • Love 3
James is the blandest bland that ever blanded.

Seriously!!! Or maybe I'm just bitter over Charlie leaving, but ugh how could you prefer James, America? How??

I have to admit James was better than I expected tonight, though. In fact, I enjoyed everyone. Candace should clearly have gone home as she is the obvious weak link, but her partnership with Mark is really working for me and eh, I can't be that mad about it. (If she wins, I'll be mad. But I don't think she will.)

I'm hoping Meryl and Maks have what it takes to beat Derek and Amy. (Or will the boy band fans get James a win out of left field?) And that Maks can make it through next week without his head exploding. ITA with what others have said about him throwing the mic being inappropriate and childish. Hopefully he can have his existential choreographer's crisis at Val or Tony or somebody instead of Meryl this week. She has enough to deal with. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Ameriker really blew this one.  Conrad goaded her into it, but Ameriker reeeeeeeally messed up.

Derek got to do a freestyle which totally hides his partner's weakness, she screws it up, and they get 40 points.  Blecch.  And I think the world of Derek.

Haaaaated Maks' Viennese.  Of any dance I can think of, the one to not mix with contempo movement and emoting is the VW.  Vomit.  

My favorite moment was coming to the last interview of the night upstairs, the camera showed Sharna from behind as she was bent over the railing looking down to the floor.  After an elongated time, she realized it and turned around with a look of horror on her face.  She knew not to make any sudden movements in reaction and it was killing her.  If you have it on DVR, check it out.

Candace and James made it?  Really?  Ugh.

Ortega was among the most worthless guests evah.  Staggeringly vapid.

Looks like the learned speculation in these forums as to FB likes and such was dead on.

ETA:  Derek's choreo in the Macy's dance did somewhat evoke old school film, but that modern music was ruinous.  I'm pretty sure it was pre-taped.

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
(edited)

What it takes to get a 10 these days: You show up on time and manage not to do a header into the judges' table.... 10!

Edited by ari333
  • Love 2

I was really impressed with the Quickstep.

Agreed, which is why the table dance was so frustrating. Amy has proven to be a really good contestant and doesn't need smoke and mirrors. It's condescending at this point not to treat her as any other contestant.

• Love 2

I'll miss Charlie. I loved his foxtrot. Found Meryl's poofy skirt really ugly unless in full twirl. Tried not to imagine what a normal sized human would look like in that mess. 

• Love 1

I don't get James and Candace being safe at all.

I do.  Personally I prefer watching the journey taken by James and Candace compared to someone like Meryl.

Are James and Candace great technical dancers, nope.  However when the dance I see the happiness and pure joy radiates from them and it makes me smile. 

Whoever put Meryl in that skirt should be shot.

Between that skirt and the boots as well as the horrible shoes she wore in the swing-jive she looked awkward, clunky, and very heavy when she danced.

• Love 2