Type keyword(s) to search

Won't You Be My Neighbor? (2018)

• Start Topic

From Academy Award® -winning filmmaker Morgan Neville (20 Feet from Stardom), Won’t You Be My Neighbor? takes an intimate look at America’s favorite neighbor: Mister Fred Rogers. A portrait of a man whom we all think we know, this emotional and moving film takes us beyond the zip-up cardigans and the land of make-believe, and into the heart of a creative genius who inspired generations of children with compassion and limitless imagination.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I normally don't go see documentaries in theater.

In this case, I will happily make an exception.

When I lived in San Diego, I saw movies in the theater constantly because it was so easy (pull up to the huge free parking lot, stroll into the theater). Now I live in Berkeley and it's such a pain in the ass to park downtown near the movie theaters that most of the time, I wait for movies to be available online. I have to REALLY want to see a movie to deal driving around in circles to find a metered spot and then feed all my quarters into it. But I will definitely do it for this movie because I LOVE Mr. Rogers!

• Love 2
On 3/22/2018 at 2:28 PM, Spartan Girl said:

I normally don't go see documentaries in theater.

In this case, I will happily make an exception.

Just a reminder that this movie has begun showing in select theaters this weekend! It will be in even more theaters next weekend. Some of them have a cute little set that looks like the entrance on the show where you can take a picture while pretending to untie your shoes.

• Love 3

There are lots of reviews out already, but I thought this one was particularly good.

17 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

It doesn't come to me until July 6.

Awwww, it sucks that you have to wait so long to see it! But I'm guessing it's a good thing that they're doing a slow release to increase word of mouth.

ETA: You can check when it's coming to your neighborhood at the official website.

• Love 1

I've seen some clips and read some interviews.  Yeah.  I'm going to sob my way through this.  I think this documentary comes at a time when it is needed.  I was a child who grew up on Mister Rogers, and even amongst all the tragedy that comes ALL THE TIME these days, I think of his words "look for the helpers", and I feel a level of comfort.  Fred Rogers made people feel loved and special, and was kind and encouraged us to all try and be the best we could be for ourselves and each other.  I just adore him, and I can't wait to see this.

• Love 13

Same here. The funny thing is that sometimes there are songs from my childhood that I know the words to but because they're already so engrained in my head, I never stop to think about those words. Going back and listening to some of the songs Mr. Rogers wrote for the show made me realize how positive and supportive his songs were. Every episode ended with him singing, "It's such a good feeling to know you're alive," which is such a lovely daily reminder.

• Love 8
(edited)

OK, I saw it! I thought it gave excellent insights into both the times he was in- and Fred Rogers's sincere drive to encourage children to make the best of the world around them! I enjoyed the not-always reverential recollections of the Reverend by his surviving family and colleagues and had fun seeing a rather wide scope of the show's footage from those years I had seen it when I was small (and even had some 'how did they save this?' footage from his earlier work).

The only part  that didn't work IMO was having his 'inner psyche' depicted as a Daniel Tiger-esque cartoon mostly set in a dark attic bedroom.

It  was also odd that they included clips of the performer Betty Aberlin playing her iconic character of 'Lady Aberlin'  yet  Miss Aberlin herself not interviewed (despite still being alive and active at age 75) . I mean she had a rather pivotal role here playing the iconic babysitter, older sister and Neighborhood ambassador to the viewers and via playing the clips yet not even   attempting at an explanation as to her absence re participation in this docu, it just left open the possibility of endless and needless speculation.

Yes, of course, it was sad to come to the end and realize that not only was he no longer around but also that he'd have been rather saddened by the world's current state- and how callous folks have often become re even their own children much less others'.  However; by the somewhat overwhelming odds he had to overcome to launch then maintain this calling, one had hope that others may want to also want to make their own corners' better!

Edited by Blergh
Lady Aberlin addendum
  • Love 6

I had never thought of Mr. Rogers or his show as religious, but it was in a very low key way. His idea that everyone is special reminded me of Quakers or Unitarians (and I am sure other religions/sects have this as part of thier theology)-the idea that every person has a spark of the divine within them. Something that impressed me was how long the show was on for; I had no idea it ran for so meany seasons. I liked that he worked with child development experts to make sure the series was age appropiate and developmentally sound.   

• Love 19

I just saw it today. It was great, as I thought it would be. (I wish we had the same set background outside our theater, though!)

When his sons said he would use his Lady Elaine voice when he needed to bring them discipline--well, it would have worked on me!

I also thought it was interesting when it was said that he became more like King Friday as he got older. You can really see it in clips from the last few years of the show. 

• Love 5

Whelp, I saw it earlier today and I think I have finally recovered now!

But honestly, this was truly one of the more beautiful and emotional movies I've ever seen.  It really shows just how special Fred Rogers was, what a great and sincere person he was, and why he is still such an important part of a lot of people's lives fifteen years later after his death.  He truly embodied not just what a good Christian should be, but any person should be.  It was obvious that his love for helping children (and some adults) was real, and it brought him joy to be with them.  I did like that the film didn't shy away from some bumps, like how he definitely seem to get a bit more grumpy and impatient when he got older.  And, of course, the way he handled Francois Clemmons' sexual orientation was definitely dated, but I do believe him that it wasn't out of homophobia, but more concern for any impact it could have had on the show.  I did read an interview with Francois that Fred later apologized for how he handled it, so I'm glad it sounds like he became more enlightened on that front.  But I still came away with the sense that Fred really did accept everyone for who they were.

I forgot just how long his career was, but damn!  He really was on television in some form from the Vietnam War all the way to 9/11.  He really was there for the children during such massively challenging and changing times.

All of the interviewees were great.  Really got a kick out of the set guy.  I do think Betty Aberlin's absence was noticeable, but it sounds like they tried, but she just didn't want to do any interviews. 

I agree that the only part that didn't work for me was the animated Daniel Tiger stuff.

The Senate hearing moment truly was a case of "truth feeling like fiction", because it really comes like something you would expect in the final act of numerous films, but only this time, it totally happened in real life.  And with Fred Rogers the one behind the mic, I can actually believe it!

Moviegoing wise, my showing was surprisingly crowded, and truly one of the best and interesting experiences yet.  It was just so silent most of the time, and, yes, the tears and sobs certainly happened at other times (including myself.)  Another big one was there was legit hissing during the moment where they showed the FOX News assholes going after him.  And I'm actually in the south which is admittedly more right-leaning, but everyone in the theater was totally seeing them as the soulless monsters that they were.  I just have to try and remind myself that Fred would likely not me to spent to much time hating them, but they really are the worst.

Fantastic film.  Simply one of the best this year.  And Fred Rogers will always be a legend.

• Love 17
(edited)

ETA, because I've changed my mind a little: I now think that those who accused Rogers of fostering an unearned sense of entitlement in children were simply not paying attention to anything he said or did; those who protested at his funeral must truly be dead on the inside.

On 7/15/2018 at 9:41 PM, thuganomics85 said:

I agree that the only part that didn't work for me was the animated Daniel Tiger stuff.

I found the animated interstitials odd at first, but then they started to work for me as a kind of dark commentary on the (possibly) unhealed places in Rogers' psyche. My memories of the show include the thought that the little tiger puppet was drab and kind of shopworn-looking, but the movie suggests that Mr. Rogers was holding on to the original Daniel Striped Tiger for emotional reasons.

The Senate hearing moment truly was a case of "truth feeling like fiction", because it really comes like something you would expect in the final act of numerous films, but only this time, it totally happened in real life.  And with Fred Rogers the one behind the mic, I can actually believe it!

At first I thought Pastore must have been toying with him -- but he was totally sincere! What a remarkable breakthrough.

I did like that the film didn't shy away from some bumps, like how he definitely seem to get a bit more grumpy and impatient when he got older.  And, of course, the way he handled Francois Clemmons' sexual orientation was definitely dated, but I do believe him that it wasn't out of homophobia, but more concern for any impact it could have had on the show. I did read an interview with Francois that Fred later apologized for how he handled it, so I'm glad it sounds like he became more enlightened on that front. But I still came away with the sense that Fred really did accept everyone for who they were.

I believe Clemmons when he talks about the moment that "I like you just exactly the way you are" finally got through, and Rogers told him "I've been saying that for two years, and now you know I was saying it to you." I think they had their failures of communication, and gaps in empathy, but Rogers grew past his more blinkered behaviour, and it seems they really did become closer than ever.

It's not that Rogers was a perfect human being, but he was authentic: rigorously honest, kind, and sincerely trying to live according to his principles.

Rogers' unaffected joy at seeing Jeff Erlanger again (in the footage from the tribute that appears mid-credits) wrung more tears out of me.

Edited by Sandman
Also to get Daniel's name right.
  • Love 15

And, of course, the way he handled Francois Clemmons' sexual orientation was definitely dated, but I do believe him that it wasn't out of homophobia, but more concern for any impact it could have had on the show.  I did read an interview with Francois that Fred later apologized for how he handled it, so I'm glad it sounds like he became more enlightened on that front.  But I still came away with the sense that Fred really did accept everyone for who they were.

15 hours ago, Sandman said:

I believe Clemmons when he talks about the moment that "I like you just exactly the way you are" finally got through, and Rogers told him "I've been saying that for two years, and now you know I was saying it to you." I think they had their failures of communication, and gaps in empathy, but Rogers grew past his more blinkered behaviour, and it seems they really did become closer than ever.

Yeah, those parts made me wince a little bit, but I had to remind myself that it was a different time, and what mattered was he came around.  And as was already stated, it was more about the impact of the show than actual homophobia.

• Love 4
(edited)

And I don't think we should underestimate the impact of Rogers' and Clemmons' sharing the wading pool, as highlighted in the film. I think the simple bravery of representing their friendship in this way must have carried enormous weight at the time.

ETA: I also can't help wondering if the biblical example of washing another's feet -- if I'm recalling correctly, Rogers not only offered to share his towel at one point, but also dried Clemmons' a little feet for him -- was part of Rogers' thinking about showing this particular image of brotherhood. It seems unlikely to me that Rogers, ordained minister that he was, could have been unaware of this implication. 

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 13

This is the only new movie I've seen thus far this summer, and I'm glad I did. I had already outgrown kids' shows when he came on the scene, so I knew some things about him but wasn't a viewer. I never realized he brought up serious issues that far back, around the time of the MLK and RFK assassinations. 

• Love 5

My theatre was about half full, smaller section of the multiplex mind you, but half full is good for the first show on a Sunday morning.  

This will probably be either my top or in my top three best films for 2018, and I take my documentaries really to heart.  I knew I'd be pretty emotional while watching it, and I was, I'm so happy I brought a half box of kleenex with me - but I wasn't prepared for still being so moved.  My childhood...was a bit difficult shall we say, and was so lucky to have first run at Sesame Street and Mr Rogers, which loomed so large when I was a little one, because they made you feel so good about yourself, and that you have value.  What a shame that as adults we lose that so easily.  I can honestly say that he probably helped make me a better parent in dealing with my own child, especially in trying to teach her how to be kind to other people.  

I need more kleenex now.

• Love 6
On 6/30/2018 at 5:03 PM, Spartan Girl said:

And then to hear how a bunch of assholes demonstrated AT HIS OWN FUNERAL, saying that he'd burn in hell for accepting gay people....just...ugh. There aren't enough middle fingers.

Pretty sure that was Westboro.  They're pros at tacky demonstrations like that.

I just got back, and I enjoyed it.  It did bother me how Clemmons' sexuality was handled, but I'm glad Fred came around in the end.  It's quite possible that Rogers didn't really know how to address it appropriately with children, and of course, the prevailing attitude was not as friendly.  But the scenes between them in the wading pool, washing and drying each other's feet, were quietly extraordinarily powerful. 

I never watched as a child, although I was the right demographic.  No idea why not -- I remember watching Romper Room, and Captain Kangaroo, but not Mr. Rogers or even Sesame Street. 

• Love 2
On 7/24/2018 at 8:28 PM, Browncoat said:

And then to hear how a bunch of assholes demonstrated AT HIS OWN FUNERAL, saying that he'd burn in hell for accepting gay people....just...ugh. There aren't enough middle fingers.

Pretty sure that was Westboro.  They're pros at tacky demonstrations like that.

Yes, it was Westboro Baptist Church.  Their protest was only slightly related to Fred Rogers's stance on accepting gay people, and more of a happy accident for them, in my opinion.  They also picketed military funerals that had nothing to do with gay people.  Their sole goal is to be provocative, so nobody should ever take their presence personally.

It did bother me how Clemmons' sexuality was handled, but I'm glad Fred came around in the end.  It's quite possible that Rogers didn't really know how to address it appropriately with children, and of course, the prevailing attitude was not as friendly. 

As far as I could tell, nobody was asking him to address it appropriately with children.  I think it was Clemmons who said Rogers cited sponsors' disapproval as the reason he couldn't be on the show if he went to that gay bar again.  Of course, without sponsors, there's no opportunity to explain anything to children, but sponsor disapproval and inability to address it well are two different things.

But the scenes between them in the wading pool, washing and drying each other's feet, were quietly extraordinarily powerful. 

I agree, and give him mad credit for that.  But to be fair, it wasn't really washing each other's feet but more hosing them off, but I liked seeing the white feet next to the black feet in the pool. 

But I really didn't like the movie.  If I'd been looking for a hagiography of someone I already loved, I probably would have loved the movie.   But I never watched the TV show, and all I knew about him was what I picked up just by living, plus Eddie Murphy's portrayals.  So I went in as a blank slate.

The movie explained all about the show, but almost nothing about the man.  They referred to "Fat Freddie" twice.  Oh, so he was a fat kid?  Who as an adult weighed exactly the same 143 pounds every single day of his life?  And grew up rich?  Surely there's something to be plumbed there, something that's probably really interesting, but we got nothing. 

And I think the movie overplayed its hand when addressing Rogers's criticism of children's programming.  I was particularly put off by using Ren & Stimpy and Pee Wee's Playhouse as examples, which I'm not sure Rogers ever did.  So that's a problem--which shows did he object to?  But no matter, both of these shows were as much for adults as for kids, and made no secret of it, so whether it was Rogers or the director, I thought it was a little much, and I'm never a fan of exaggerating one's case, especially when it's not necessary.

I realize I'm in the minority on this--the vitriol in the comments on the lowest-score critic's review on Metacritic was kind of amazing.  But I'm throwing this out there in case somebody else comes away from the movie feeling like I did and wonders if they're the only one.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
"comments" is plural, but "vitriol" isn't--peeve of mine

I haven't see this movie yet, but has anyone seen the PBS documentary "It's You I LIke"?  I was wondering how this movie compared to that.  I swear I also saw another documentary about Mr Rogers on PBS awhile back that showed some of his home life with his wife, I can't remember what it was called though.

• Love 1

Surprised and disappointed that this failed to get nominated for Best Documentary, despite winning a decent amount of precursors.  As I mentioned in the Academy Award thread, I wonder if it was a case of fans either thinking it was shoo-in and using their votes for smaller films instead, or if there was a section of the Academy that just thought this was too simple and sappy compared to most documentaries.

Either way, it still smarts, but I'm just telling myself that if Fred was still around, he wouldn't want be to be too upset over it.  Either way, I'm glad I saw it.  It honestly was my favorite film of 2018.

• Love 5

Fred Rogers was a classy gentleman who would have taken this snub with grace and good humor.

However, since Mr. Rogers is no longer with us, and I myself am under no obligation to handle anything with grace and good humor, I am just going to go ahead and say that this snub is pure BALLS.

That a cynical, heavy-handed, calculated Oscar bait piece of tripe (IMO, of course) like 3 Billboards Outside Ebbing, MO was lavished with awards last year, but Won't You Be My Neighbor didn't even get a Best Documentary nomination is sad and infuriating.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Fred Rogers was a classy gentleman who would have taken this snub with grace and good humor.

However, since Mr. Rogers is no longer with us, and I myself am under no obligation to handle anything with grace and good humor, I am just going to go ahead and say that this snub is pure BALLS.

That a cynical, heavy-handed, calculated Oscar bait piece of tripe (IMO, of course) like 3 Billboards Outside Ebbing, MO was lavished with awards last year, but Won't You Be My Neighbor didn't even get a Best Documentary nomination is sad and infuriating.

Have never seen the first movie so I have no POV on it. However; considering the lengths the producers went to unearth not just archival interviews with the subject and contemporary ones with his surviving family and colleagues but also some 'how did they SAVE it' footage of his earliest television career, IMO, they should have honored it with at least ONE nomination . Moreover,I agree with you what the late Rev. Rogers's reaction likely would have been. Perhaps it would have been similar to the legendary Lillian Gish who told friends upset over her being snubbed for her final movie Whales of August,  that at least she didn't get nominated then lose to Cher  (no disrespect for the latter on my part but one can hardly consider their acting careers to have been in the same galaxy). 

• Love 4

I wonder if people assumed it was locked and put their votes elsewhere. Because honestly, this movie and RBG were kind of similar at least in terms of their traditional format style of doc, so if people were voting for just one of those kinds of documentaries, this is a much better film than RBG. I'm surprised that one made it over this one.

I don't pay any attention to the Academy Awards, but I wonder if there's a correlation between people who love the movie and people who "grew up" with Mister Rogers, and what percentage of Academy voters are in that demographic.  As I posted upthread, I saw it knowing almost nothing about the man, and came out not knowing much more, so I don't think it was a great documentary about Mister Rogers.  But for people who have fond memories of him from their childhood, just having the opportunity to be around him again would probably be a great experience.  But that wouldn't necessarily make it a great documentary from a technical standpoint.

• Love 1