Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Say It With Flowers

• Start Topic

Kyle's epic 35th birthday party ends with a major disruption from Lindsay; Stephen visits his family in Alabama; Amanda becomes frustrated by Kyle's behavior on a party bus; Carl and Lauren try out the friend zone, with questionable results.

25 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

Stephen in the hot tub wins the episode ??

His brain is working overtime back home in Alabama! What is wrong with this guy? He seems like he's twisting himself into a knot; his family seems lovely! He's the jerk who's imagining more than what's happening! ;-(

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

I don't know @Fiero425 ☹️ I know a lot of people don't like him but a little piece of my heart breaks. He seems so down a lot of the time. I thought hot tubbing in costume was hilarious though!

If he weren't such a D!CK, I'd feel for him too! He's too busy being "Debbie Downer" to have any sympathy for him! Gossiping and passing rumors around like a high school mean girl isn't conducive to making people care about him! His family isn't doing anything to make him feel bad; doing it to himself with his brain doing backflips for nothing! I'm over 60 and didn't feel it necessary to involve my parents in every aspect of my life even though they were quite supportive! Mom even tried to give me an apartment to share with someone they thought I was dating! Stephen's parents are just normal parents, but it's as if he wants to let them know what sexual positions he likes! What an idiot! ;-(

• Love 5

Lindsey's meltdown though. I immediately pictured Christina in a giant tub of popcorn! If that's the kind of irrational behavior Lindsey is capable of, I feel worse for Christina for what she had to go through last season. Lindsey is a regular steam roller and she was really immature about the beautiful flowers Everett sent. Even though I'm not an Everett fan at all. 

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

Lindsey's meltdown though. I immediately pictured Christina in a giant tub of popcorn! If that's the kind of irrational behavior Lindsey is capable of, I feel worse for Christina for what she had to go through last season. Lindsey is a regular steam roller and she was really immature about the beautiful flowers Everett sent. Even though I'm not an Everett fan at all. 

"RUN Everett! That b!tch is psychotic!" What's he supposed to do while at a party, rub her feet? I couldn't be bothered even if he's a real d!ck! He has my sympathy dealing with her! ;-(

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, zoeysmom said:

I cannot believe these assholes put forty pounds of tea in the pool.  

They're capable of anything! If they threw Jello in there to simulate an old Batman episode, I wouldn't be surprised! They're all a little touched and juvenile! ;-)

• Love 4

I can't stand Stephen, but I actually felt for him a little tonight. It must suck to try and explain to your parents that this is not a choice for you and they keep saying, "You know what we believe". That being said, I still think it could be a lot worse. I mentioned my father shutting me out 9 years ago because of choices I made in my life. He's never even met his grandkids. It's depressing as hell. Stephen's parents seem to love him to death and WANT him in their lives. They may not be able to fully wrap their minds around him being gay, but at least they're not shunning him. As much as he wants to feel totally understood by them, I think it's very common for many adult children (straight, gay, religious, atheist, etc.) to feel like they have to be a bit on guard around their parents. Not everyone is Rory and Lorelai Gilmore. And he needs to understand that they are very entrenched in the culture THEY grew up in and that can be hard to overcome. I think a lot of the issue is on his end, for shutting everyone out so much. I get why. But maybe if he made more of an effort....visited more, called more. Maybe he could help them understand better. Just my thoughts. 

Lindsey decided Lauren had worn the psycho crown enough this summer, so now it's her turn....to fuck her ex in the woods and then scream at him for talking to anyone else but her. In case anyone forget why those two were such a colossal nightmare together - well, there you have it. 

Lauren, I still see you, girl. Carl compliments her "dress" - "It's a jumpsuit". Not even a thanks. Why am I feeling badly for CARL??? 

Kyle. Sigh. I love Kyle because he's so hilarious ("What does 35 have to do with common cork knowledge" is now one of the top 10 best Bravo quotes ever. Right next to "It's not about the pasta!" and "Clip!"), but his sloppy drunkenness is a bad look. I'm only 3 years older than him, and watching him party just makes me tired. Amanda probably needs to cut ties sooner rather than later. I don't think that dude will ever change. 

• Love 12

WTF Kyle! He's not cute or funny when he's drunk. This guy gets totally shitfaced falling down passing out plastered. Why does he have to take it to such an extreme?  I agree, Amanda needs to stop waiting for him to grow up. Ain't gonna happen. 

• Love 7

LAUREN of all people is telling Lindsey, girrrrl, this man has got you acting a straight-up lunatic and is not worth your time. Too bad Stephen was out of town. This is where we needed him to pop up with a mirror and tell Lauren AND Lindsey that if you think SHE’S acting psycho over a man...[click play on Michael Jackson’s “Man in the Mirror” and just moonwalk out of the room].

• Love 8
1 hour ago, JenE4 said:

LAUREN of all people is telling Lindsey, girrrrl, this man has got you acting a straight-up lunatic and is not worth your time. Too bad Stephen was out of town. This is where we needed him to pop up with a mirror and tell Lauren AND Lindsey that if you think SHE’S acting psycho over a man...[click play on Michael Jackson’s “Man in the Mirror” and just moonwalk out of the room].

Amen and hallelujah to that! ;-)

• Love 2
6 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I can't stand Stephen, but I actually felt for him a little tonight. It must suck to try and explain to your parents that this is not a choice for you and they keep saying, "You know what we believe". That being said, I still think it could be a lot worse. I mentioned my father shutting me out 9 years ago because of choices I made in my life. He's never even met his grandkids. It's depressing as hell. Stephen's parents seem to love him to death and WANT him in their lives. They may not be able to fully wrap their minds around him being gay, but at least they're not shunning him. As much as he wants to feel totally understood by them, I think it's very common for many adult children (straight, gay, religious, atheist, etc.) to feel like they have to be a bit on guard around their parents. Not everyone is Rory and Lorelai Gilmore. And he needs to understand that they are very entrenched in the culture THEY grew up in and that can be hard to overcome. I think a lot of the issue is on his end, for shutting everyone out so much. I get why. But maybe if he made more of an effort....visited more, called more. Maybe he could help them understand better. Just my thoughts. 

Lindsey decided Lauren had worn the psycho crown enough this summer, so now it's her turn....to fuck her ex in the woods and then scream at him for talking to anyone else but her. In case anyone forget why those two were such a colossal nightmare together - well, there you have it. 

Lauren, I still see you, girl. Carl compliments her "dress" - "It's a jumpsuit". Not even a thanks. Why am I feeling badly for CARL??? 

Kyle. Sigh. I love Kyle because he's so hilarious ("What does 35 have to do with common cork knowledge" is now one of the top 10 best Bravo quotes ever. Right next to "It's not about the pasta!" and "Clip!"), but his sloppy drunkenness is a bad look. I'm only 3 years older than him, and watching him party just makes me tired. Amanda probably needs to cut ties sooner rather than later. I don't think that dude will ever change. 

Stephen lost his chance for sympathy when he rolled his eyes as his family was saying a prayer. I'm an atheist, but I don't mock people for their beliefs and I try to see them on their terms. That's Stephen's problem, IMO. He wants everyone to accept him for who he is, yet he's the most judgmental and condescending person on this show. I understand it must be difficult dealing with your parents growing up, but he's an adult now. He needs to start treating his relationship with his parents as a group of adults. It can't just be about what he wants, he has to start taking their feelings into consideration. Maybe instead of focusing so much on what he doesn't have he should consider himself lucky for all he does have. His parents love him and support him, even if they can't understand/support fully his lifestyle. 

• Love 15
10 minutes ago, Stan39 said:

Stephen lost his chance for sympathy when he rolled his eyes as his family was saying a prayer. I'm an atheist, but I don't mock people for their beliefs and I try to see them on their terms. That's Stephen's problem, IMO. He wants everyone to accept him for who he is, yet he's the most judgmental and condescending person on this show. I understand it must be difficult dealing with your parents growing up, but he's an adult now. He needs to start treating his relationship with his parents as a group of adults. It can't just be about what he wants, he has to start taking their feelings into consideration. Maybe instead of focusing so much on what he doesn't have he should consider himself lucky for all he does have. His parents love him and support him, even if they can't understand/support fully his lifestyle. 

I 100% agree. I, too, noticed the condescending, put-upon faces he was making during the prayer. You're so right that it's a two way street. It sounds like his parents make more of an effort than he does. 

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, Stan39 said:

Stephen lost his chance for sympathy when he rolled his eyes as his family was saying a prayer.

Could you imagine his reaction if his father and mother rolled their eyes when he mentioned the Pride Parade?  There would be a nuclear meltdown!

• Love 9
37 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Could you imagine his reaction if his father and mother rolled their eyes when he mentioned the Pride Parade?  There would be a nuclear meltdown!

This is why I have nothing for Stephen; a true jerk and "loser" who doesn't deserve any sympathy! ;-(

• Love 5

I honestly cant believe the youngest of the group Amanda is the most mature. Lindsey is a nut bag, controlling to say the least. I would normally feel sorry for Stephen, but he just reminds me of Rachel Drachts character Debbie Downer on SNL. I hope to never see Lauren's floppy boob out of her shirt again. Amid is hot..

• Love 7
19 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

i couldn't stand lindsey last year.  i felt sorry for christina and thought  lindsey was out of line with her.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

They basically did on the phone call when he brought it up. He shut down, no meltdown.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, jaybird2 said:

i couldn't stand lindsey last year.  i felt sorry for christina and thought  lindsey was out of line with her.

I had forgotten had bad and deranged Lindsey was last year because she held herself in check for most of the season and seemed to have matured. I guess not. Christina was a little annoying, but it was bs how everyone ganged up on her last year and blamed her for all their problems. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

They basically did on the phone call when he brought it up. He shut down, no meltdown.

No. They didn't roll their eyes or act above the Pride parade. They were both smiling, and his dad said something like - "glad you're keeping busy". That was an example of someone who maybe didn't agree, trying to be positive and supportive. Whereas Stephen, who doesn't agree with their religion, just pulls faces and acts all superior. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, ghoulina said:

No. They didn't roll their eyes or act above the Pride parade. They were both smiling, and his dad said something like - "glad you're keeping busy". That was an example of someone who maybe didn't agree, trying to be positive and supportive. Whereas Stephen, who doesn't agree with their religion, just pulls faces and acts all superior. 

To me immediately changing the subject is the same as rolling your eyes. My super Christian cousins also roll their eyes when their grandfather feels its necessary to do spoken prays at a public meal rather than just saying "lets take a moment."

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3

This episode made most of these folks look like jerks.  Kyle is so plastered 24/7 that it is impacting his relationship and he doesn't even see it.  Yes summer is supposed to be fun but.... there is a vast difference in having a few drinks and being literally falling down drunk all day, every weekend.

I think it was awkward for Stephen to force this topic on camera.   His parents love him and that is very clear but they are not enlightened on his homosexuality as part of him as a person.  It isn't something they are comfortable with and in fairly rural Alabama (Prattville is a suburb of Montgomery) they aren't having as many experiences with people who are not like themselves.  I think they have a long way to go but it is clear they love him.  Hopefully in time they will become enlightened that it is not a choice.  :-(

Everett and Lindsey - just no.  They are the worst together or apart but trying to get together or whatever.  No.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Stan39 said:

Yes, Stephen can be quite the asshole. HOWEVER. It's not a lifestyle, a. And b, what they're saying is "due to your choices [it's NOT A CHOICE] you're going to hell". That is hurtful.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

To me immediately changing the subject is the same as rolling your eyes. My super Christian cousins also roll their eyes when their grandfather feels its necessary to do spoken prays at a public meal rather than just saying "lets take a moment."

I didn't think they changed the subject? They commented on what he said. If one of them had suddenly said, "The bees are making a lot of honey this year!" - THAT would be changing the subject. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I didn't think they changed the subject? They commented on what he said. If one of them had suddenly said, "The bees are making a lot of honey this year!" - THAT would be changing the subject. 

They did, he started to tell them that  stupid ridiculous story of Carl wronging him on Pride but they immediately cut him off and  asked what else was happening even when he was trying to tell them. I have no patience for Steven and think he is a ridiculous asshole but I also think his parents are homophobic assholes and that deeply marks Steven. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

They did, he started to tell them that  stupid ridiculous story of Carl wronging him on Pride but they immediately cut him off and  asked what else was happening even when he was trying to tell them. I have no patience for Steven and think he is a ridiculous asshole but I also think his parents are homophobic assholes and that deeply marks Steven. 

Right. I am also in the camp that they are a family of assholes. Then again, so is everyone else on the show. I’d actually have a difficult time plotting them all out on the asshole scale, but Stephen and Amanda would be on the low end with Lauren and Carl way up high on the asshole continuum. Kyle and Lindsey would be in the middle. Amit and that other girl who shows up once in a while—I think her name is Danielle—would just show up as an asterisk of outliers without enough data to determine results. And then of course you have different causation factors: Carl makes Lauren a super asshole but Carl and her twin make Lauren an uber asshole off the charts; Lindsey is typically only a moderate asshole, but add Everett... Of course, rose’ raises ALL of their asshole quotients.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, JenE4 said:

Right. I am also in the camp that they are a family of assholes. Then again, so is everyone else on the show. I’d actually have a difficult time plotting them all out on the asshole scale, but Stephen and Amanda would be on the low end with Lauren and Carl way up high on the asshole continuum. Kyle and Lindsey would be in the middle. Amit and that other girl who shows up once in a while—I think her name is Danielle—would just show up as an asterisk of outliers without enough data to determine results. And then of course you have different causation factors: Carl makes Lauren a super asshole but Carl and her twin make Lauren an uber asshole off the charts; Lindsey is typically only a moderate asshole, but add Everett... Of course, rose’ raises ALL of their asshole quotients.

This could be a TED Talk

• Love 9

Why did they have all that tea? Was it to throw into the pool? Was that the plan? I’m confused.

Amanda, do you mean to tell me Kyle didn’t magically wake up a different person after his birthday? I’m shocked! Shocked, I say!

so Danielle’s mom is local and they do have a good relationship. I’m back to wondering about her and Amit’s absence.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, FozzyBear said:

So he ordered literal tea? I can’t decide if that’s brilliant or stupid. It’s a fine line.

I think so. Kyle made some comment about not understanding why it was so dark. And Amanda kind of looked at him like he was an idiot and asked did he never notice that tea bags change the color of the water they're put in...

• Love 2

Amit looked gorgeous at the birthday dinner.   Lucky Lindsey to make out with him on the party bus -I'm glad the Chinfree Lecture-y Everett was not present. 

I Hope Stephen has a good therapist to help him deal with the family issues.  I feel for him and what he is dealing with.     That guy he had the blind date with seemed sweet.

Maybe Amanda should check back in with Kyle when he's 45.   He doesn't seem willing to change at the mo.

So next week Carl interacts with a lady in front of Lauren.   Get ready for a lot of rage and aggressive tit-swinging!

• Love 2
On 3/13/2018 at 1:38 PM, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

I honestly cant believe the youngest of the group Amanda is the most mature. Lindsey is a nut bag, controlling to say the least. I would normally feel sorry for Stephen, but he just reminds me of Rachel Drachts character Debbie Downer on SNL. I hope to never see Lauren's floppy boob out of her shirt again. Amid is hot..

She may be the most mature but she's not very smart if she thinks that Kyle will start acting like an adult all of a sudden now that he's 35.  She seems to think that there's a magical switch that will change him the minute the switch hits 35. 

I agree with those who have no sympathy for Stephen.  I'm also an atheist and thought his eye rolling during the prayer was so disrespectful. When I'm in that situation I just sit quietly until the prayers are over.  Stephen is just such a smug little asshole that it's hard for me to feel bad for him. I doubt he feels sympathy for anyone else. 

• Love 6

Amanda's definitely not too bright if she thinks Kyle is going to mature overnight! He's truly an embarrassment seeing him tipping all those bottles back to ingest as much alcohol as possible before he passes out! I would have been done so much sooner than this silly girl! Another AeTHO here and even though not religious, I'm respectful and don't show any discomfort while they acknowledging their beliefs! ;-)

• Love 1