Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E12: The F is For

• Start Topic

After photos of Casey and Severide jumping off the roof during a heroic rescue make the front page of the newspaper, Boden unwillingly agrees to have the photographer chronicle a day at the firehouse.

The photographer getting hit by the car was the best part of the episode. I think he was still snapping pictures while he was flying in the air. Usually, cars slow down around accidents; I guess there are no rubberneckers in Chicago.

Casey is too nice, he let the guy leave (with his camera) without getting a beating.

I felt bad for Otis. Once Lily mentioned moving away, I said the writers got him again.

Surprised to see Sylvie got the brave moment instead of Dawson. Progress!

• Love 11

I loved Sylvie’s speech.  

Why would Casey just throw the photographer out?  You drag him to Boden’s office and call the police.  You also check his photos and maybe take his SIM card.

Kidd and Severide actually had a mature conversation about figuring out their relationship?

who wrote this show?!?

• Love 5

23. Twenty three. I counted. That's the number of times I had to hit the FF button on my DVR this episode. Between discovering the pervy 'tog and Hermann's get-rich-quick-scheme-of-the-month, I just couldn't.

Colour me surprised that the perv (and his gear) made it out of the firehouse in one piece.

Still photographers who freelance for newspapers are well known by emergency personnel, and almost all of them have press credentials that let them do their job on emergency scenes with little interference from PD or FD. I did that exact job (freelance photographer covering FD and PD) for 12 years, and I knew an awful lot of the guys. It's actually a lot of fun, and you quickly learn where to go and where not to on the fireground. This guy's professional life would be completely destroyed. Criminal charges, a potential civil suit, and loss of press credentials, blacklisting by all the local news organizations, etc. Not to mention risking a beating in a dark alley when he least suspects it--not just from Casey but from his fellow photographers whose working lives will have just become much harder.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, mxc90 said:

The photographer getting hit by the car was the best part of the episode. I think he was still snapping pictures while he was flying in the air. Usually, cars slow down around accidents; I guess there are no rubberneckers in Chicago.

Casey is too nice, he let the guy leave (with his camera) without getting a beating.

I felt bad for Otis. Once Lily mentioned moving away, I said the writers got him again.

Surprised to see Sylvie got the brave moment instead of Dawson. Progress!

All of this! ^

No one slows down in Chicago, lol.  I almost clapped when he got hit.  You would think he wouldn't have been so arrogant and cocky after he got out of the firehouse without getting his ass      kicked.

Otis looked like his whole world just caved in. :(

The Sylvie speech was great!! Just seeing Dawson not interrupt her was fabulous!

• Love 5

I liked this episode.  It had very little focus on Dawson.  :-)

I can't wait for the scene where Stella and Severide just give in.  It's interesting that the writers are dragging this out for multiple episodes.  

• Love 3

Have we met this Lily character before? I'm guessing yes, but the fact that I can't remember her speaks to how little attention is paid to the supporting characters. Case in point: the only thing they ever do with Herrmann is another "get rich quick" scheme. Granted, it's consistent, but after six seasons, it's also stale. 

So, even the pervs want to cop a peek at Gabby. Figures. 

Twice this episode they hoisted someone unconscious upwards without considering their necks might be broken. Both Severide and the photographer could have had severe spinal cord injuries but they just got lifted up like nobody considered it.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Twice this episode they hoisted someone unconscious upwards without considering their necks might be broken. Both Severide and the photographer could have had severe spinal cord injuries but they just got lifted up like nobody considered it.

Did they have much of a choice for Severide?

What I want to know though is how he was floating so well.  Their gear is all heavy; wouldn't he sink?  Or did he have an oxygen tank somehow keeping him buoyant?  Or their gear is actually a flotation device, even though it's heavy?

• Love 2
(edited)
46 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I liked this episode.  It had very little focus on Dawson.  :-)

I can't wait for the scene where Stella and Severide just give in.  It's interesting that the writers are dragging this out for multiple episodes.  

I remember Stella/Severide being hot & heavy and the whole thing with her psycho ex husband, but I have no recollection of them breaking up.  Can't for the life of me remember how it ended.

12 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Have we met this Lily character before? I'm guessing yes, but the fact that I can't remember her speaks to how little attention is paid to the supporting characters. 

She is the daughter of the owner who was selling the bar that is now Molly's North.  I don't recall her being very visible except for that episode and maybe one more.  Looks like she won't last long either with the reference to moving to Hawaii.  Poor Otis!

Edited by SuzieQ
(edited)

Did they have much of a choice for Severide?

I would have expected them to lower one of those back boards down into the water, seeing as he was floating so conveniently right side up. Same with the photographer - instead Casey just threw him over his shoulder like at weren't no thing. Both men could have been paralyzed for life, but it was more important to show the heroics of Stella and Casey than to follow medical protocol I guess.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 2

I assumed with the photographer that Casey’s first priority was getting him out of the street.  He grabbed and rolled him away from the traffic, but I assumed he was still in danger of getting run over.

I always loved that Emergency! always seemed to get it right, even if it wasn’t the most exciting way to save the person.

• Love 1
(edited)

Yeah, a backboard and C-collar all the way. I'll handwave it for the photographer. But maybe it would have been a better story if Casey's failure to put a collar on the guy resulted in paralysis. Casey gets in deep doodoo, maybe loses a bugle, photog gets his just desserts. No excuse for the grab on Severide unless he was being shown as about to sink Any Second Now, which he wasn't. At least get a backboard under him. But like everything else in televised rescue shows, you only have so much screen time and tedious procedures have to take a back seat to whatever keeps audiences from flipping channels. I've said it before, the ghosts of Jack Webb and Ron Cinader are up to 10,000 RPM in Lost Angeles.

Edited by NJRadioGuy
  • Love 1

What I would like to know is, if Casey was close enough to shore to easily rescue, why didn't someone simply strip their turnouts off and do a quick swim over to Severide and stabilize him?  It probably took 10 minutes to get that ladder set up for a potentially ruinous outcome.  To answer your question, FnkyChkn34, no, he wouldn't float.  Once you get water in those boots, you're a boat anchor, and the heavy clothes make it that much harder to move.  They would cushion his fall somewhat, though. 

There was an engine already at the accident scene; why didn't they set up a perimeter and block traffic, if only to allow access to the victim?  Oh, I know; so Casey could rescue the clown.  I did like Boden's speech, though.  It's not their job to decide who is worthwhile in this world (cough-Cruz-cough).

What's the deal with Stella?  Is Zach the Mack trying to pimp her out to his sister?  That was a very odd lead in to the upcoming story. 

I'm glad Sylvie stood up for the homeless guy.  But, I was thinking at the time, what if the crazy woman had managed to land a swipe with the knife?  They would have had to create an incident to cover the treatment, and explain to Boden, "Well, we thought this homeless guy was being assaulted in the camp, so we took the ambulance over to investigate, and it turns out that some crazy woman was there, and I more or less threatened her, and she took a swipe at me with a knife."  And Boden says (with a sigh), "And your job description is?"

Alright, Hermann, let's review:

F is for Forget About It

I is for Immediately

R is for Remember What Happened-

E is for Every Other Time

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

What I would like to know is, if Casey was close enough to shore to easily rescue, why didn't someone simply strip their turnouts off and do a quick swim over to Severide and stabilize him?  It probably took 10 minutes to get that ladder set up for a potentially ruinous outcome.  To answer your question, FnkyChkn34, no, he wouldn't float.  Once you get water in those boots, you're a boat anchor, and the heavy clothes make it that much harder to move.  They would cushion his fall somewhat, though. 

There was an engine already at the accident scene; why didn't they set up a perimeter and block traffic, if only to allow access to the victim?  Oh, I know; so Casey could rescue the clown.  I did like Boden's speech, though.  It's not their job to decide who is worthwhile in this world (cough-Cruz-cough).

What's the deal with Stella?  Is Zach the Mack trying to pimp her out to his sister?  That was a very odd lead in to the upcoming story. 

I'm glad Sylvie stood up for the homeless guy.  But, I was thinking at the time, what if the crazy woman had managed to land a swipe with the knife?  They would have had to create an incident to cover the treatment, and explain to Boden, "Well, we thought this homeless guy was being assaulted in the camp, so we took the ambulance over to investigate, and it turns out that some crazy woman was there, and I more or less threatened her, and she took a swipe at me with a knife."  And Boden says (with a sigh), "And your job description is?"

Alright, Hermann, let's review:

F is for Forget About It

I is for Immediately

R is for Remember What Happened-

E is for Every Other Time

Well, no one took off their gear and went for a quick swim because it's the middle of winter; that water was probably 34 degrees. You can't risk someone else getting hypothermia too when they had another way to rescue him. 

Didn't like this very much but I loved that the photographer got hit by the car. 

If you get thrown up on, do you really need to take a shower? I would think they'd find someone to cover for Dawson so she could go home and shower. I would think she would just need to change her shirt. 

Poor Otis... Hermann gives her some advice and she's deciding on moving to Hawaii. How did Hermann ruin the guy's life? Did his gf dump him or something? 

I thought Zach would end up being a stalker but maybe not. I feel bad for the guy, he seems to like Stella but she's still stuck on Kelly. 

I wonder if Hope will still show up somehow. 

6 hours ago, Waterston Fan said:

That is what I was wondering the whole time. Casey, Severide and Dawson were hanging out in the apartment drinking, and last time we saw Hope they took her to visit her father in rehab. Wasn't she living with them? 

12 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

That is what I was wondering the whole time. Casey, Severide and Dawson were hanging out in the apartment drinking, and last time we saw Hope they took her to visit her father in rehab. Wasn't she living with them? 

No, that's Bria whose dad was in rehab. I think they ended that storyline already with her going to visit her dad at rehab. 
Hope was Sylvia's friend and trashing her on FB and stuff. She had been e-mailing Sylvia a few times and Sylvia has deleted it.  The last we saw her she walked away a bit angrily and stomped off, it seemed like we might not see the last of her. Hope was the one who 'stole' Stella's check and shredded it at the end, she probably was going to cash it but Stella made a stink about it so Hope couldn't even cash it. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Waterston Fan said:

Didn't like this very much but I loved that the photographer got hit by the car. 

If you get thrown up on, do you really need to take a shower? I would think they'd find someone to cover for Dawson so she could go home and shower. I would think she would just need to change her shirt. 

Poor Otis... Hermann gives her some advice and she's deciding on moving to Hawaii. How did Hermann ruin the guy's life? Did his gf dump him or something? 

I thought Zach would end up being a stalker but maybe not. I feel bad for the guy, he seems to like Stella but she's still stuck on Kelly. 

I would think you definitely need to shower! Chances are it goes other places than just your shirt, and it would also seep through the fabric. Disgusting. But why send her home when the firehouse has facilities that they all use all the time?

• Love 2
On 3/2/2018 at 6:38 AM, mxc90 said:

The photographer getting hit by the car was the best part of the episode. I think he was still snapping pictures while he was flying in the air.

The only thing better would have been if Gabby got hit too...and died!

22 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

I did like Boden's speech, though.  It's not their job to decide who is worthwhile in this world (cough-Cruz-cough).

YES!!! Cruz and the gang banger totally came to mind. Does Boden even know about that? I only remember Cruz telling Mouch.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I would think you definitely need to shower! Chances are it goes other places than just your shirt, and it would also seep through the fabric. Disgusting. But why send her home when the firehouse has facilities that they all use all the time?

Yeah, that's true. I think it's just more of what if she needed to go on a run kind of thing. 

1 hour ago, juliet73 said:

YES!!! Cruz and the gang banger totally came to mind. Does Boden even know about that? I only remember Cruz telling Mouch.

I don't think Mouch said anything maybe Cruz just needed someone to talk to. 

9 hours ago, Waterston Fan said:

No, that's Bria whose dad was in rehab. I think they ended that storyline already with her going to visit her dad at rehab. 
Hope was Sylvia's friend and trashing her on FB and stuff. She had been e-mailing Sylvia a few times and Sylvia has deleted it.  The last we saw her she walked away a bit angrily and stomped off, it seemed like we might not see the last of her. Hope was the one who 'stole' Stella's check and shredded it at the end, she probably was going to cash it but Stella made a stink about it so Hope couldn't even cash it. 

You're right it was Bria the forgot about.  Or maybe she is still there in her room and posting on social media non-stop about how much it sucks living with Dawson and Casey.

• Love 2

The Bria story was never about Bria.  It was about Casey remembering that he must cowtow to all of Gabby’s demands or face the consequences.  Once he got back on board, Bria was no longer necessary.  I am sure we are supposed to think her dad miraculously recovered and they are back together just constantly talking about how wonderful Gabby is.

• Love 9
On 04/03/2018 at 1:17 PM, Crs97 said:

The Bria story was never about Bria.  It was about Casey remembering that he must cowtow to all of Gabby’s demands or face the consequences.  Once he got back on board, Bria was no longer necessary.  I am sure we are supposed to think her dad miraculously recovered and they are back together just constantly talking about how wonderful Gabby is.

Absolutely spot on! Wish Dawson would just do us all a favour and leave Chicago for somewhere far far away!

On 04/03/2018 at 3:47 AM, juliet73 said:

Hahahaha spot about Dawson!

On 3/3/2018 at 12:32 AM, Dowel Jones said:

And Boden says (with a sigh), "And your job description is?"

He should record that on his phone, complete with the sigh, to replay as needed. At least that way he can take the occasional break -- to get a bite to eat, use the bathroom -- you know, carry on with his life. Seems like he'd be reminding his brilliant crew to do their actual jobs 24/7, otherwise.

• Love 1

That's got to be super awkward having a co-ed locker and shower area.

5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

That's got to be super awkward having a co-ed locker and shower area.

Yes, I agree, but then the show wouldn't have the convenient opportunity for in-shower sexy time scenes. 

• Love 2
On 3/3/2018 at 10:49 AM, FnkyChkn34 said:

Well, no one took off their gear and went for a quick swim because it's the middle of winter; that water was probably 34 degrees. You can't risk someone else getting hypothermia too when they had another way to rescue him. 

And yet Casey and Severide barely used their blankets...they just had them lightly covering their shoulders, like maybe they were toweling dry after a Fourth of July swim, as they hung around chatting...

Edited by SnarkySheep
16 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

And yet Casey and Severide barely used their blankets...they just had them lightly covering their shoulders, like maybe they were toweling dry after a Fourth of July swim, as they hung around chatting...

Ha, I noticed that too. At least Casey could have made his teeth chatter, or the makeup department could have made them pale?

• Love 1

This show fails so badly at subtlety. It can never be a person has shades of grey, they're always just an out and out Bond villain. Between the peeping Tom, homeless bully and revolving door of evil aldermen, Chiefs and exes Im just waiting for them to turn Zak into a jealous sociopath just to justify Stella wanting to get back with Severide.

1 hour ago, Chas411 said:

This show fails so badly at subtlety. It can never be a person has shades of grey, they're always just an out and out Bond villain. Between the peeping Tom, homeless bully and revolving door of evil aldermen, Chiefs and exes Im just waiting for them to turn Zak into a jealous sociopath just to justify Stella wanting to get back with Severide.

I also love how every other fireman in Chicago is a fat, lazy, useless, incompetent dolt who barely made it through the academy.

• Love 5
On March 5, 2018 at 1:58 PM, belletane said:

Absolutely spot on! Wish Dawson would just do us all a favour and leave Chicago for somewhere far far away!

This Dawson hate is silly IMO.  Is every other character perfect except for her?  

The crazy lady bothered me.  This is a show where there is no representation of dark skinned black women, and when we see one she's crazy.  No like that at all.

20 hours ago, Neurochick said:

This Dawson hate is silly IMO.  Is every other character perfect except for her?  

The crazy lady bothered me.  This is a show where there is no representation of dark skinned black women, and when we see one she's crazy.  No like that at all.

No one's ever said Dawson is crazy and the Dawson hate has nothing to do with her colour or race or religion or anything else like that. It is totally caused by her rude, obnoxious and self centred behaviour! You dont have to like this but it is just a fact.

• Love 5