Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Broken Promises

Drogo
  • Start Topic

Johnna confronts Garrett after he stays out all night; Lamar's family reunion takes a turn after a surprise guest ignite's Andrea's jealousy; Lamar and Andrea face off; Angela fears the worst on Tony's release day.

• Love 2

Is she ever!! OMG, the woman is nuts. And not a good PR person for the Mormans.

Garrett and Johnna are doomed. He is NOT ready to settle down anytime soon.

Neither is Mary’s guy, Guido, or whatever his name is.

One trend I am seeing with all of the people on the outside who are hooking up with a prisoner.... all are obsessively jealous and controlling. Now that their bird is out of the cage, they can no longer control it. 

• Love 21

I don't understand being jealous of an ex or the mother of a partner's child. That was before you, you know he has a child, you know the child has a mother ... Why get involved with that if you can't handle it? She knew what she was getting into. It's incredibly selfish and childish to act that way. I'd  just say that I want to meet his daughter and ex but I'm not ready, or I'd admit to him that I'm nervous and would rather sit this one out . I can understand being nervous or even intimidated, but I don't get not handling it like an adult. 

Andrea is acting ridiculous, but Lamar's reaction kind of worried me. Those two are toxic. (As are most of these couples.) 

Garrett is not ready to settle down, Johnna is cuckoo, and she's going to let him run all over her just so she can have her man. 

The lady waiting on the prison bus -- way to misrepresent yourself. 

• Love 9

So Lamar's out of prison for two days, already drinking and eating charcuterie with his family members in CA, has a daughter and former rap buddies in CA, yet he wants to move to Utah and adopt a Mormon lifestyle? So not going to work out.

I wish they would spend a little more time on the prisoners back stories. Very few of them have expressed any feelings about their crimes.

• Love 11
14 hours ago, Drogo said:

Andrea, you are far crazier than we thought. 

Seriously. It sounded like he hasn’t seen his daughter in a very long time.  Her mother didn’t want to just leave her with virtual strangers — some Bloods, some Crips. It looks like they were chilling in a Jewish (murals in background of parking lot) part of town, perhaps to avoid being recognized. I think he is willing to relocate to Utah to avoid potential gang-related issues.  After spending a week with Andrea, I think he’s willing to risk his life to get away from her.

Bus stop Lady — damn, that is a lot of airbrushing on her photo.  Perhaps she can date Scott because it’s pretty clear he is being used too.  They seem evenly-yoked.

Canadian Tony —-  he is sooo not into that chick.

Garr-Bear — dude , run  

Did Brother Lamar cut Debz OG’s single? 

• Love 9

I agree with the poster above that it is completely understandable that Lamar’s daughter’s mom came along. No way would I let my daughter, even if an adult, show up by herself to see the dad who just got out of prison after 18 years and whose family may still have gang ties. I will say his daughter seemed very sweet. I hope he doesn’t let her down. Based on Andrea’s meltdown, I think it’s likely she is going to end up being jealous of the daughter as well. How soon before we hear Lamar needs to put her kids first because she is his wife? I can’t see him wanting to go to Utah when he obviously has a close family in California.  He was so excited to be with them. If they aren’t a part of the gang life, it’s better for him to have his family’s support and be near them. That being said, I did not like the anger I saw from Lamar, yes Andrea was being annoying, but Lamar needed to leave her alone when she said she wanted him to go away. 

Bad eyebrows woman’s guy isn’t into her and seemed to be really scarred by his prison time. He was obviously stressed by being out of prison.  I am going to need to see Her birth certificate because I have a hard time believing she is 28. I also need to know what plastic surgery she had done to her face. I can’t figure out what is going on there. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 12

I may be doing the math wrong, but didn't Lamar say he had his daughter at 16? She was very young acting for a 23-24 year old. Andrea was acting a fool by taking off, but Lamar dialed it up to 100. He actually body checked her if you watch closely. This relationship is a nightmare on every level and I need her ex to remove his children from his hot ass mess.

The Canadian chick obviously gained a lot of weight and then got some discount fillers injected into her lips.  I won't hate on her weight gain, but those lips were disgusting. Poor Dom would rather be in the half way house than near her. I think 6 weeks of dating before his jail term is not a very strong foundation. And with her drug jacket, I'm not sure she's outgrown the bs he got sent in for to begin with. 

• Love 10

Lamar, run. All Andrea is going to do is control you with threats of parole violation and keep you from your family. Andrea’s whole “was this a bad idea” lamentations...um, even your pre-teens knew that.

James. This is a sign. Your crazy eyes and her crazy are not well matched.

Canada Mary has had a rough 28 years. Looks like Dom’s moved on but I’m sure he’s happy for the ride. 

Ger-bear. Time to run. Fast. Find a woman who doesn’t care if you drink with your friends. Although better friends is probably also a good suggestion. 

The MS woman and MMA fighter. Heh. “Hey, you look like you just got out of prison. You single.”  Maybe her sister should start a side bizof glamour shots for prison pen pals. Help offset some of what the sister will be borrowing when she sent all her cash to cons. Whoever suggested she get fixed up w/Scott is right on. 

• Love 5

But didn't Lamar do 18 years? So his daughter would be 34? She couldn't come to the party alone? Basically, it is kind of a sticky situation for all of them. Her mother could have asked if it was ok if she came... that is, if she knew he was with someone. I doubt she has an interest in him in THAT WAY, but respecting Andrea regardless of her crazy is the thing to do. It is the same as if you were going to a party or dinner you weren't invited to. Then... on the other hand, maybe she knew something about the environment her daughter was going to be in and her concern was genuine. IDK, but it never hurts to be respectful of all parties involved.

But Andrea is so producer over-produced I can't stand her.

Edited by ethalfrida
...to get her name right
14 minutes ago, ethalfrida said:

But didn't Lamar do 18 years? So his daughter would be 34

No, he was 16 when his baby momma got pregnant, and he said he went into prison a few years later when the girl was a toddler. Add 18 to a couple of years, and she’s probably 21 or 22.

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

No, he was 16 when his baby momma got pregnant, and he said he went into prison a few years later when the girl was a toddler. Add 18 to a couple of years, and she’s probably 21 or 22.

Got it. Thanks...

Even if Lamar’s daughter was 34, I wouldn’t blame her for going to the party with her mother. If she doesn’t know his family well (can’t say either way), it’s good to have a wing person. 

Mormon church rules seem flexible regarding lying. 

• Love 15

Andrea and Lamar are both out of their minds ~ each in a different way. Andrea is pathologically jealous! Lamar's ex should be able to meet Andrea and get a better handle on the woman with whom her daughter will be spending so much time! But, noooo.... Andrea had to flip the heck out and run away like she was twelve! I really expected her to be glued to Lamar's arm, watching his ex like a hawk, but there's no explaining crazy. Meanwhile, as one would have expected, Lamar can escalate fairly quickly himself. Of COURSE he can! Consider where he's been. Did y'all notice him on her like a duck on a June bug, knocking into her, yelling, NOT letting her leave? Excuse me, dude, she's not in prison and neither are you! And yeah, the police were called! They could take him back to jail, but he's too stupid to care. If this is what he'll do in a parking lot, what will he do in private when he's REALLY mad? Or drinking?

My guess is Andrea will whine about it and marry him anyway. Big dummy!

• Love 8

James seemed surprised that Alla didn't show up for her modeling interview, but then again, how would we be able to tell?

23 hours ago, sarkygal said:

I may be doing the math wrong, but didn't Lamar say he had his daughter at 16? She was very young acting for a 23-24 year old. Andrea was acting a fool by taking off, but Lamar dialed it up to 100. He actually body checked her if you watch closely. This relationship is a nightmare on every level and I need her ex to remove his children from his hot ass mess.

I noticed that, too, and it creeped me out! Like, WTF? Made me concerned for Andrea's daughter, and for that matter, her son (you know, prison).

• Love 5

These people have such a special talent for making me sympathize with the convicts. I couldn't tell who was more tone deaf; Andrea for getting mad Lamar was seeing his daughter, or James signing up Alla for modeling after modeling was what helped fuel her heroin addiction to begin with,

• Love 15
39 minutes ago, CoachWristletJen said:

James seemed surprised that Alla didn't show up for her modeling interview, but then again, how would we be able to tell?

It wasn’t that she hadn’t shown up yet, he told her he’d scheduled her for a 2 pm appt. and wanted her to be sure to be ready and be there. She later told him she’d be there, after protesting that she didn’t like him doing this type of thing without consulting her first.

After I rewatched the episode I saw/heard Lamar tell his ex Andrea was jealous, etc. You don't tell your ex things like that about your girlfriend.

But then, it seems to me that none of the outsiders are considering that they mates have been locked up in prison. They do need time to wind down and acclimate themselves to the outside. Like Garrett and Lamar, for instance. 

• Love 1

Is Shante planning to move to Utah with Lamar? Baby mama drama aside, Lamar should have met Shante in a separate reunion; a parent child bond is different than family relationships and Shante and Lamar should have had their private one-on-one time to catch up. There is no real reason why Holly needed to be at a family gathering; she could have dropped Shante off somewhere else to meet Lamar during the day and waited nearby for them to have lunch, just he two of them. Andrea knew Holly would be better looking than she is and was scared Lamar would see her as a big downgrade. But the lies she comes up with - my child is in the hospital and needs money, I'm lost, my bf lives in California, I know all these freaky positions...wow this will be fun.

42 minutes ago, ethalfrida said:

After I rewatched the episode I saw/heard Lamar tell his ex Andrea was jealous, etc. You don't tell your ex things like that about your girlfriend.

But then, it seems to me that none of the outsiders are considering that they mates have been locked up in prison. They do need time to wind down and acclimate themselves to the outside. Like Garrett and Lamar, for instance. 

Yep, no loyalty to Andrea. Almost seems like he hates her already, just on their second day of meeting.

Edited by eatsleep
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

These people have such a special talent for making me sympathize with the convicts. I couldn't tell who was more tone deaf; Andrea for getting mad Lamar was seeing his daughter, or James signing up Alla for modeling after modeling was what helped fuel her heroin addiction to begin with,

I completely agree with you. I really was siding with all the convicts, especially Mary's guy.  They kept showing how mean the Canadian guards were to Mary when she would visit and then when she had her drug jacket bust up their conjugal visit. But he is legit saying how he feels. He was traumatized by prison and just being out of a cage and being able to touch people (like you can tell he really likes Mary's parents, hence their 3 way hug as she looked on) and wanting to not end up there again was so clear. Even with Alla, yes, she is a wreck, but heroin is not something you can just kick. Even though she was in prison for years, she could have been dreaming for her next hit and all that pressure could lead her to do it again. I know it's for the cameras but it makes me a little sad. Lamar was so happy with his family and Andrea and her one eye of makeup (am I the only one who is seeing that in her interviews?) needs to take 5 steps back. Though I really really hated that he body checked her at the end. This show has an interesting documentary aspect to it that I didn't expect. Even Garrett WHO IS 24! 24 year old men who haven't been in prison still act like teens and he was a teen when he went to prison.  All these promises get made because the prisoners are behind bars, they like the attention/benefits and maybe they don't expect it to ever see the light of day or they have unrealistic expectations like their "Loved ones". 

Also I think that Angela and Scott should be together, but more than likely she'd be into his son (who looks like her prison boo). 

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, Swellcatt said:

They kept showing how mean the Canadian guards were to Mary when she would visit and then when she had her drug jacket bust up their conjugal visit. But he is legit saying how he feels. He was traumatized by prison and just being out of a cage and being able to touch people (like you can tell he really likes Mary's parents, hence their 3 way hug as she looked on) and wanting to not end up there again was so clear.

I don't know why Mary and her parents didn't realize this poor guy would want to leave the prison grounds ASAP.  He doesn't want to stand there for a half hour hugging.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, CoachWristletJen said:

YES! What IS that? A tic of some kind? Thyroid condition? It is crazy-looking.

• Love 5

What job will Lamar get?  Surely he doesnt think being a rapper fresh out of jail is going to pay the rent.  You have to be famous and then go to jail not the other way around.  Did I hear Garrett say he really didnt think about going out drinking when was locked up? That's because he...was...locked...up.   Hilarious.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, vmcd88 said:

What job will Lamar get?  Surely he doesnt think being a rapper fresh out of jail is going to pay the rent.  You have to be famous and then go to jail not the other way around.  Did I hear Garrett say he really didnt think about going out drinking when was locked up? That's because he...was...locked...up.   Hilarious.

There are a lot of hookups in LA and he can certainly earn rent money to start. Plus, he was already started before he left.  He also has gotten exposure through this show. 

This show is fascinating.

Andrea/Lamar:   That party was ghetto fabulous!  And Andrea turned me off right away with her, "Aint gone be no baby mamas there right?????".   It should have set off Lamar's alarm bells.  When a man has a kid, by extension you have to 'deal with' the ex.  Just be grateful that the ex isn't as crazy as you seem to be, Andrea.

Garret pings my gaydar.  He was somebody's biatch in prison, mark my words.  He seems to be sane one this relationship though. Which says it all about Johanna.   His going out to drink after being locked up, misjudging his tolerance, and sleeping it off actually is understandable to me. *shrug*

Alla is going to use again.  I don't think whatshisname understand that he is with a HEROIN addict. Ol' girl wasn't hooked on weed.  Are men so shallow that if a woman is hot, they would put up with a prison record and a heroin addiction?   Drug crimes are actually not as large of a barrier to employment as one would think.   She can easily find an office job somewhere.

When you get out of prison, the last thing that you need is another warden.  These people want FREEDOM.  Dang, I feel sorry for them - and they are coming across as the sane ones here.

• Love 8

Regarding Andrea’s overreaction to Lamar’s ex-girlfriend..... GROW THE FUCK UP!!!

I dated a man for a number of years who had 2 sons with his ex. They lived with her, so now and then we’d be picking them up at her house. The woman was gracious to me, even hugged me now and then. In Andrea’s case, this woman has been out of Lamar’s life for at least 18 years. She is always going to have a problem with any woman speaking to or looking at Lamar.

Run, Lamar, RUN!!! Run and hook up with Garrett, you two deserve some happiness being free.

• Love 6

Dear God, I love this show.  It's like Vanderpump Rules in a prison setting.

It's clear all of the "civilians" are needy, jealous messes with self esteem issues.  Maybe James is not . . . at least not yet.  

Andrea is insane.  I don't blame Shante for wanting her mother with her. She hasn't seen her father since she was 4  - - so essentially she doesn't know him at all.  It sounds like she wasn't even going to come to the "reunion" at first.  As another poster said, Lamar and Shante should have met privately, without the friends/other family/Crips/Bloods around.  It's amazing to me that Andrea seems to have zero issue with Lamar having connections to Crips and Bloods - - and will even break bread with them! -  - but damn it, his daughter's mother better not show up!  That will set her over the edge.  Lamar has to stay in LA for 30 days following parole - - is Andrea going to stay in LA with him until she can tie him up, throw him in the trunk and drive him back to Utah? 

I think James means well but Alla clearly does not want to model again.  Understandable.  She got into drugs via the modeling industry.  He might want to reconsider encouraging her to model again.  Plus, she's probably considered ancient in the modeling world - - and she has a few obvious tattoos that may not be acceptable to some agencies.  Not to mention being a convicted felon.

Garrett was in the wrong to stay out all night but Johnna is acting like his warden.  Even without her dad telling us previously that every one of her former boyfriends cheated on her, I would have guessed that based on her telling Garrett that he and his friends were obviously out looking for p*ssy.  Girl!  Settle down.  And remember that he was what?  18, when he was convicted?  He's had no time to go out and be an adult, hang out with his friends, etc.  I understand her worry/frustration if his friends are indeed not good influences and she does have a valid point if they were nowhere to be found while he was serving time but still . . . God, I hate that she is making me side with a felon.

What the everloving eff has Mary done to her face?  Specifically her lips?  I would guess she was pushing 40 if the little blurbs didn't tell me she was 28.  I really felt for Dom (damn it.)  He just gets out of prison and he's being asked when he's going to start shopping for tuxes for the wedding?  Does Mary not drive?  Why would she bring her parents to pick up Dom?  And watching her teeter around in those mile high heels made my feet hurt.

So Mississippi woman and her inmate got engaged before they ever met face to face?  Say WHAT?   And again . . . if the little blurb didn't tell me she was 45 or 46, I would guess she was looking at 60 for her next birthday. The "doctored" photo her sister assisted with is totally false advertising.  And did it really say that she was a mental health expert???  Ha ha ha ha ha!!  

Do any of these folks have parole officers?  Because I would certainly think the recently paroled inmates would be encouraged NOT to marry right away.  They need to reacclimate and stand on their own two feet.  Johnna, Andrea and Mary, in particular, are egregious about this.  Their men are out not even 24 hours and they are expecting to get a ring, talking weddings, etc.  It's fucked up.  

That said, I will be tuning in for every single episode.  This show makes me feel so much better about my own life choices.

• Like 1
  • Love 16
On February 7, 2018 at 8:07 PM, cooksdelight said:

Regarding Andrea’s overreaction to Lamar’s ex-girlfriend..... GROW THE FUCK UP!!!

Yes.  

As soon as I saw Lamar's ex, I said, "OH, I GET IT."  See, I'm sure Lamar told Andrea that his ex was either very light skinned, or not black at all.  Also, before Andrea left for LA, we saw her get a whole bunch of weave sewn into her hair.  Now, weave is fine, but Andrea is also very insecure, so when she knew that the baby mama was coming, it piqued all her insecurities.  I mean, Andrea probably saw herself, with three pounds of weave (from either a white woman or an Indian woman) on top of her head, sitting across from a woman who doesn't need to wear weave, she might have been afraid that Lamar cold have seen her as a downgrade.

The civilians on this show come off, to me, as selfish, insecure and childish.  They only care about what THEY want, a hot, attractive partner, they don't seem to realize that this person has JUST been released from prison.  That's how I felt about Mary, who seemed to only care about "me, me, me."  She and Andrea should hang out.

BTW, what Andrea was doing with Lamar in the parking lot was play acting, from the posts here, I thought he body slammed her.  Nope, he didn't do that at all.  Maybe I'm watching a different show.  Lamar's anger was normal to me, because Andrea was acting like an unreasonable, selfish witch.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 5

I agree, I thought Lamar was sort of justified in what he did, based on the fact she’s texting him to come find her. To leave his family and friends to come find her lazy ass.

I want to bitchslap Mary off my screen. I feel so sorry for Dom. Thus far, he’s the only one of the incarcerated people I feel bad for.

• Love 6

I think worse than Andrea's jealousy over Lamar's baby-mama being at the party was her childish and passive aggressive reaction to it.  She just got up and left, then later made up some lie about being lost when Lamar didn't take the bait.

On 2/5/2018 at 11:46 AM, cooksdelight said:

It wasn’t that she hadn’t shown up yet, he told her he’d scheduled her for a 2 pm appt. and wanted her to be sure to be ready and be there. She later told him she’d be there, after protesting that she didn’t like him doing this type of thing without consulting her first.

She really didn't want to go back into modelling, but he badgered her into it.  It makes sense that her promise to be there wasn't sincere

• Love 2