Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: High Volume Store

When corporate announces that the store is getting an upgrade, Amy, Jonah and Dina set out to discover the pros and cons. Meanwhile, Cheyenne accidentally volunteers to be Glenn's surrogate, and tries to get out of it.

Glen realizing that Cheyenne didn't want to be his surrogate and then giving her an out was a really nice scene. 

Jeff's midlife crisis is just about my favorite running gag in the show. Poor guy and his sad hat. 

"We`re not number one, we`re not number...guess it doesn't work the other way". 

• Love 8
Just now, tennisgurl said:

Glen realizing that Cheyenne didn't want to be his surrogate and then giving her an out was a really nice scene. 

Jeff's midlife crisis is just about my favorite running gag in the show. Poor guy and his sad hat. 

"We`re not number one, we`re not number...guess it doesn't work the other way". 

But Jeff broke up with Mateo. He said he and his ex got back together. I know Mateo broke up with Jeff first, but then he left that message during the tornado declaring his love. Unless Jeff never got the messsge. 

Dina doing the surrogacy thing? For Glenn and Jerusha? This will be hilarious. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Gurkel said:

But Jeff broke up with Mateo. He said he and his ex got back together. I know Mateo broke up with Jeff first, but then he left that message during the tornado declaring his love. Unless Jeff never got the messsge. 

Well, it doesn't seem like he is doing well without Mateo. He seems to be regretting the breakup. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Gurkel said:

I thought Mateo broke up with Jeff. From what I remember, Mateo was planning to move to a new store so he and Jeff could continue their relationship.  In order to do that, Mateo found out he needed to provide his social security card or proof of work eligibility which he couldn't do (wouldn't do?) once he found out that he wasn't documented.  Instead of telling Jeff that, he tried to find a way to not move to the new store and eventually just told Jeff that he didn't love him.  From that moment on, Mateo has acted like Jeff broke up with him but unless I'm forgetting something, that wasn't the case.  Mateo then left the voice mail, which they haven't discussed, and Mateo found out that Jeff was back with his ex post-tornado.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I thought Mateo broke up with Jeff. From what I remember, Mateo was planning to move to a new store so he and Jeff could continue their relationship.  In order to do that, Mateo found out he needed to provide his social security card or proof of work eligibility which he couldn't do (wouldn't do?) once he found out that he wasn't documented.  Instead of telling Jeff that, he tried to find a way to not move to the new store and eventually just told Jeff that he didn't love him.  From that moment on, Mateo has acted like Jeff broke up with him but unless I'm forgetting something, that wasn't the case.  Mateo then left the voice mail, which they haven't discussed, and Mateo found out that Jeff was back with his ex post-tornado.

You’re right. But Matteo declared his love in the message. And Jeff acted like he never got it—which he might not have. I wish they would just talk about it. 

• Love 4

There was a great reaction shot from a woman in the background when Cheyenne was telling Glenn that Bo objected to the surrogacy, and she said "Otherwise, I'd be like, put a baby in me right now!" The little things going on with the customers are often the hidden gems of this show. 

I also loved the robotic responses from the staff at the other store, who had to preface all their answers with it being the best job they ever had.

I do hope they circle back to the message Matteo left for Jeff during the tornado. It's odd there has never been any follow-up to that.  

• Love 7
12 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Freakin' loved when Bo said "For $20,000, you can put whatever you want in either one of us!"

I think Bo is hilarious! I'm glad the show only has him in small doses though... a little Bo goes a long way. Cheyenne imitating Bo was pretty funny too!

It was nice having Amy acting like her old self - she wasn't  craving attention or being over the top trying to impress everyone.

• Love 13

Is Mateo still illegal? I thought Jeff had found out, so wouldn't he be obligated to report him?

Cheyenne is not going to be the surrogate, so does that mean she and Bo are on the hook for the hot tub, since it can't be returned?

How come no one got upset that the employees would lose their cafeteria for the Pizza Hut?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, CofCinci said:

I cannot wait to see a pregnant Dina.

It won’t be her, not sure how but it’ll fall to Amy.

2 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Is Mateo still illegal? I thought Jeff had found out, so wouldn't he be obligated to report him?

Cheyenne is not going to be the surrogate, so does that mean she and Bo are on the hook for the hot tub, since it can't be returned?

How come no one got upset that the employees would lose their cafeteria for the Pizza Hut?

“They don’t allow the employees to eat the pizza.”

1 hour ago, Skyfall said:

“They don’t allow the employees to eat the pizza.”

That must mean eat for free. How can they stop employees from paying for food on their lunch breaks? I'm still under the impression that they'd be losing their staff space so the Pizza Hut could go in. Also, I wonder how much Pizza Hut for all the mentions throughout the episode. 

• Love 2

If they have to buy their food anyway, they probably thought Pizza Hut food would be better than what their cafeteria sold. I don't think it was an employee-only cafeteria that served them anything. All we've seen them have is a break room. Maybe they got an employee discount at the Cloud 9 cafeteria, but Pizza Hut would be a franchise that didn't honor it.

Jeff does not know about Mateo being undocumented. Mateo broke up with him specifically to prevent Jeff from finding out.

• Love 2

Has Dina had a kid before? There's a lot of surrogacy going on on TV these days, and one thing I thought I learned was that having successfully carried a child to term before is one of the requirements.

Anyway, I love this stupid little show. Confession: I must have missed it early on in the series, but until this season, every time Glenn mentioned Jerusha, I thought he was referencing like his oldest foster son. I knew it was a Biblical name, but to me it always sounded more masculine, so I assumed he was talking about a boy, lol. Clearly, I did not pay enough attention in Sunday School.

Did Jeff say he was 40? That kinda makes me sad since I'm turning 40 this year, lol. I love the actor, but I would've thought he was closer to 50. I've always been bad about guessing people's ages.

41 minutes ago, Giuseppe said:

Has Dina had a kid before? There's a lot of surrogacy going on on TV these days, and one thing I thought I learned was that having successfully carried a child to term before is one of the requirements.

Anyway, I love this stupid little show. Confession: I must have missed it early on in the series, but until this season, every time Glenn mentioned Jerusha, I thought he was referencing like his oldest foster son. I knew it was a Biblical name, but to me it always sounded more masculine, so I assumed he was talking about a boy, lol. Clearly, I did not pay enough attention in Sunday School.

Did Jeff say he was 40? That kinda makes me sad since I'm turning 40 this year, lol. I love the actor, but I would've thought he was closer to 50. I've always been bad about guessing people's ages.

The first part may be how they get the kid into Amy instead.

Edited by Skyfall
On 1/20/2018 at 6:53 PM, possibilities said:

If they have to buy their food anyway, they probably thought Pizza Hut food would be better than what their cafeteria sold. I don't think it was an employee-only cafeteria that served them anything. All we've seen them have is a break room. Maybe they got an employee discount at the Cloud 9 cafeteria, but Pizza Hut would be a franchise that didn't honor it.

We were thrilled at my Walmart when they took out the Radio Grill and put in a Subway. They made a deal with the franchise owner to still give employees 10% off and they made them keep the Icee machine and still serve hot pretzels. And then our store didn't have to worry about staffing the grill - they have their own separate Subway employees. (There was not much terror like the few times they sent me to cover the Grill. You were praying people just wanted an Icee and you wouldn't have to actually cook anything.)

On the downside, it's been 3 and 1/2 years since I left Walmart and I still don't really like to eat at Subway. Too many years of too many sandwiches. I don't know how people who work at the ones with a McDonalds can stand it.

On 1/20/2018 at 4:13 PM, SmithW6079 said:

That must mean eat for free. How can they stop employees from paying for food on their lunch breaks? I'm still under the impression that they'd be losing their staff space so the Pizza Hut could go in. Also, I wonder how much Pizza Hut for all the mentions throughout the episode. 

I know at my local Walmart they don’t allow the employees to sit in the Subway anymore. They can still buy from there IIRC but it’s not unthoughtof that Pizza Hut would outright say employees.

1 minute ago, bonniejmac said:

We were thrilled at my Walmart when they took out the Radio Grill and put in a Subway. They made a deal with the franchise owner to still give employees 10% off and they made them keep the Icee machine and still serve hot pretzels. And then our store didn't have to worry about staffing the grill - they have their own separate Subway employees. (There was not much terror like the few times they sent me to cover the Grill. You were praying people just wanted an Icee and you wouldn't have to actually cook anything.)

On the downside, it's been 3 and 1/2 years since I left Walmart and I still don't really like to eat at Subway. Too many years of too many sandwiches. I don't know how people who work at the ones with a McDonalds can stand it.

If Walmart was classified like Cloud 9 I wonder who’s higher up on the chain Subway stores or McDonalds stores ?

• Love 1
On 1/20/2018 at 3:28 PM, ClareWalks said:

America might be pregnant now but I'm not sure how that correlates with the season's filming. It's possible they wrapped for the season before she started showing. 

It's scheduled to wrap at the end of February.  I guess it will depend on how much she's showing by then. 

On 1/20/2018 at 5:53 PM, possibilities said:

Jeff does not know about Mateo being undocumented. Mateo broke up with him specifically to prevent Jeff from finding out.

Did Mateo mention it on the voice mail (that Jeff has never mentioned so we don't know if he has actually heard it.)

On 1/20/2018 at 5:53 PM, possibilities said:

Maybe they got an employee discount at the Cloud 9 cafeteria, but Pizza Hut would be a franchise that didn't honor it.

There are some stores/restaurants that have rules that staff are not to be seen sitting around eating in the open because it looks like they're not doing anything while "on the clock."  I wonder if Cloud 9 has one of those policies. So they were all excited about Pizza Hut but it wouldn't matter because there'd be a rule against it.  (Just finished reading the thread and see @Skyfall said something similar but I'm just going to leave this in because optics are stupid.

4 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

Did Jeff say he was 40? That kinda makes me sad since I'm turning 40 this year, lol. I love the actor, but I would've thought he was closer to 50.

The actor is 48 if that helps---although I do think the fact that he is losing his hair probably always made him look older than he is.  He might be catching up with his age.

• Love 2

Did Mateo mention it on the voice mail (that Jeff has never mentioned so we don't know if he has actually heard it.)

No. Nobody knows about Matteo's illegal status except Cheyenne. (And you know if Dina found out she'd report him.)

Jeff got FRAISER-ED!

Meaning if you look at Fraiser Crane when he first came on CHEERS he was this straight-laced foil who eventually became as wacky as the rest of the CHEERS gang. I believe Jeff crossed over into that territory tonight as well. I love it!

Great episode....loved seeing the other store...don't want a pregnant Deana though. Babies were a hallmark of the old Jump the Shark website before it got bought up and retooled beyond recognition. ...I miss it still.

Having gone through infertility myself I tend to be a snob about inaccurate infertility depictions, so here are my issues / questions:

1) With Glenn being so religious (btw: Jerusha means 'inheritance' and ive never heard it used as a name), why wouldnt he have wanted to have children all this time and only foster children? I doubt he was using birth control, as a religious person, so for 20 years + of marriage, he wasnt worried why they werent getting pregnant?

2) If they did try before, how did he not know about her uterus issue? Fun fact: I have an arcuate uterus.  A uterus is supposed to be shaped like an upside down pear. Mine is shaped like a flying bird (V formation). I have 3 children, thank G-d, though I had a fair share of miscarriages and other fun things.

3) LIke someone said upthread, a surrogate has to have carried a baby before, so that her obstetrical history is known, and so the surrogate doesnt get so attached to the baby that she wants to keep it.

4) Someone as religious as Glenn might perhaps have objections to using a surrogate in the first place - in my world it's not easily permitted.

5) Again, with someone as religious a Glenn and jerusha, banging it out on someone els'es bed seems very strange. Not to mention, if you're in your late 50s, you're bound to have some erectile dysfunction, and certainly performance anxiety about doing it during ovulation - which , incidentally, they wouldnt have missed had they waited the 3 hours that the party ended and done it at home.

Sigh. it's a tv show! :)

• Useful 1
20 hours ago, Big Mother said:

Having gone through infertility myself I tend to be a snob about inaccurate infertility depictions, so here are my issues / questions:

1) With Glenn being so religious (btw: Jerusha means 'inheritance' and ive never heard it used as a name), why wouldnt he have wanted to have children all this time and only foster children? I doubt he was using birth control, as a religious person, so for 20 years + of marriage, he wasnt worried why they werent getting pregnant?

2) If they did try before, how did he not know about her uterus issue? Fun fact: I have an arcuate uterus.  A uterus is supposed to be shaped like an upside down pear. Mine is shaped like a flying bird (V formation). I have 3 children, thank G-d, though I had a fair share of miscarriages and other fun things.

3) LIke someone said upthread, a surrogate has to have carried a baby before, so that her obstetrical history is known, and so the surrogate doesnt get so attached to the baby that she wants to keep it.

4) Someone as religious as Glenn might perhaps have objections to using a surrogate in the first place - in my world it's not easily permitted.

5) Again, with someone as religious a Glenn and jerusha, banging it out on someone els'es bed seems very strange. Not to mention, if you're in your late 50s, you're bound to have some erectile dysfunction, and certainly performance anxiety about doing it during ovulation - which , incidentally, they wouldnt have missed had they waited the 3 hours that the party ended and done it at home.

Sigh. it's a tv show! :)

3. Is likely going to be taken care of by it going to Amy somehow.

On 1/23/2018 at 11:43 PM, Big Mother said:

Because G-d didn't want them to get pregnant yet? Maybe it was one of those things they weren't worried about it until it was almost too late. Since I'm not 100% positive either Glenn or Jerusha are actually straight, maybe they weren't having that much sex? 

On 1/23/2018 at 11:43 PM, Big Mother said:

When you're able to pay full price you get niceties like ob history and stuff like that. When you're desperate you get what you get I think. 

• Love 3

I had wondered since season 1 if they were going to go ahead and have the store open 24 hours, as it opens up a lot of storyline possibilities. Thought they were going to do it with becoming a high volume store in this episode, although for the characters' sakes, they didn't. It would also be harder to justify all the characters standing around doing nothing while being in a high volume store. 

Still, I'd love to see the writers take on storylines of creepers who come in at 3am to buy stuff, or the sheer boredom of sitting in a dead store in the middle of the night.

• Love 1