Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: And Some Dude Named Jeff

When Jenkins body-switches with a 28-year-old slacker named Jeff, he must find his way back into the Library to correct the mistake. But he will need a team to do it, and enlists the help of Jeff’s hapless Dungeons & Dragons friends. Can they make it in time, before Jeff destroys the Library?

I know most body switches storylines would involve  John Larroquette still being in the body of Jenkins while acting like Jeff and vice versa- but it was so funny seeing  John Larroquette in a 28 year old guys life. We also finally got the payoff discussion about Jenkins being mortal. Along with Cassandra’s reaction at being hit on by ‘Jenkins’. 

And not one word about how many librarians there are or tethering. There sure are a lot of people finding  out about the library this season. 

• Love 4

It’s nice to see Jenkins making friends outside of the library.  And of course he gets to be Dungeon Master.  Is that even s question.

On 1/20/2018 at 4:22 PM, johntfs said:

Also, FYI, this is the episode that Lindy Booth is directing.

She did a great job.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I know most body switches storylines would involve  John Larroquette still being in the body of Jenkins while acting like Jeff and vice versa- but it was so funny seeing  John Larroquette in a 28 year old guys life. We also finally got the payoff discussion about Jenkins being mortal. Along with Cassandra’s reaction at being hit on by ‘Jenkins’. 

And not one word about how many librarians there are or tethering. There sure are a lot of people finding  out about the library this season. 

The whole episode was fun and funny, but I especially loved that part! And I liked how Jeff's friends each had a counterpart in a librarian. Cute, cute and cute! 

• Love 4

Jenkins was wonderful, but I missed the team again.  If we'd had more team throughout the season, I wouldn't have minded so much.

I was expecting a prince of hell to be a little more formidable.  Also, nitpicky things about D&D, but they got enough right that I ain't mad.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, ChelseaNH said:

Jenkins was wonderful, but I missed the team again.  If we'd had more team throughout the season, I wouldn't have minded so much.

I was expecting a prince of hell to be a little more formidable.  Also, nitpicky things about D&D, but they got enough right that I ain't mad.

We seem to be getting each team member-centric episode this season. I think it has to do with the big setup of "one librarian" 

• Love 1

It took a bit of time for me to get into the story, but it picked up and I enjoyed it. Then again, I'm a sucker for Jenkins and JL.

2 hours ago, ChelseaNH said:

I was expecting a prince of hell to be a little more formidable. 

Me too. And, what was with the cob-webbing of the the Librarians, Baird, and Jeff's three friends? Since he was using swords, why not just kill everyone until he got to Jeff's mom?

Jeff's female friend is Britney Young, who plays Carmen on GLOW.

• Love 2

Jenkins would be an amazing Dungeon Master!

That was a fun episode, I really liked seeing Jenkins trying to interact with the real world and the "common folk", and that he eventually made some non Librarian friends. I was hoping to get to see more of Jenkins as a 28 year old slacker, but seeing him in his life was funny enough. It was also nice to get into his head a bit, and his history in Camelot. 

It seems like they are doing a lot of character centric episodes this season. I wonder if they tie it into everyone needing to eventually team up and prove up that its ok to have more than one Librarian. Even here, Jenkins needed the whole DnD gang to get back into the Library, he couldn't have done it himself. 

Glad that Stones reporter friend has apparently kept her promise about keeping the Library a secret. Speaking of, there seem to be a lot of people finding out about the Library lately. I wonder if the Library will go public at the end of the season?

• Love 6
23 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

Jeff's female friend is Britney Young, who plays Carmen on GLOW.

I knew I recognized her! Love her.

When Jenkins started to talk about being an outsider, I was relating big time, being a military brat, and then the DM said he was. Felt like it was just for me (though I moved 16 times in 12 years)

Edited by Clanstarling
Because DAM and DM are different things
  • Love 3

So I just found out that this season is 12 episodes long. Couple that with the fact TNT may have shrunk the budget or just frankly not increased it and that may explain why there have been more character centric episodes.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Even here, Jenkins needed the whole DnD gang to get back into the Library, he couldn't have done it himself. 

Given how specific the tests were to the "players," and my assumption that the Library knew "Jenkins" wasn't Jenkins, I believe the Library tailored the tests so each player could solve a problem. Whomever Jenkins brought to assist him would have had a test that they could solve. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Skyfall said:

So I just found out that this season is 12 episodes long. Couple that with the fact TNT may have shrunk the budget or just frankly not increased it and that may explain why there have been more character centric episodes.

We are worried this will be the last season at my house. I hope not. Give at least one more. 

• Love 2

I really liked this episode, especially how Jeff's friends just accepted Jenkins' explanation about the body-switching without batting an eye.  The end was good as well.  

I didn't catch what the one friend said about his family and Thanksgiving.  Can someone tell me what he said?  

Favorite line-- Jenkins: 'I'm never going to drink wine and Shasta again, that's for sure!"

• Love 3

Always down for a Jenkins-centric episode.  Really enjoyed the body swap and him in a 28 year-old's body.  Loved the group of co-works/friends Jeff had (Carmen from GLOW!), and how they all played a part in helping Jenkins get back into the Library.  The actor playing Jeff was good too, and had the right balance of being obnoxious, but I was still able to root for him to overcome his weaknesses and be a better person.  And I like that Jenkins is actually going to remain friends with them and even join their Dungeons and Dragons group (obviously, he has to be the Dungeon Master to stop these inaccuracies!)

Bummed that the rest of the team wasn't used as much, but I did love the scene when they figured out that Jeff was Jenkins.

So, a good mead substitute is wine and Shasta mixed.  I'll... take their word on that.

• Love 6

I really liked this episode. It was fun seeing Jenkins with Dungeons and Dragons group and I loved that he ended up joining their group. I liked hearing about his background more but wish he had said a little more.  The group was fun and I loved them being able to figure out the puzzles. I agree the Library knew who they were and chose the puzzles specifically for them. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, BooksRule said:

I didn't catch what the one friend said about his family and Thanksgiving.  Can someone tell me what he said?  

Try dealing with a family of overachievers. Do you know what it was like during Thanksgiving? I was invisible. 

I loved all the geek easter-eggs. Jenkins fighting with a light-saber, and Jeff giving it his best Gandalf! LOL!

When Jenkins asked the three friends to kneel down and knighted them I almost got something in my eye. And Jenkins' monologue about being mortal/human was so well-written. That's my favorite episode of the season so far.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

Given how specific the tests were to the "players," and my assumption that the Library knew "Jenkins" wasn't Jenkins, I believe the Library tailored the tests so each player could solve a problem. Whomever Jenkins brought to assist him would have had a test that they could solve. 

What I liked was that getting into the Library required teamwork. I really wanted to hear Jenkins talk about Camelot more; Galahad did find the grail and they brushed it off. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ganesh said:

What I liked was that getting into the Library required teamwork. I really wanted to hear Jenkins talk about Camelot more; Galahad did find the grail and they brushed it off. 

So did I. Someone finally asked him questions about Camelot and Arthur and all we got were short answers. Come on Jenkins! Tell us more! 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

So did I. Someone finally asked him questions about Camelot and Arthur and all we got were short answers. Come on Jenkins! Tell us more! 

Let's recall that the Season One villain was his father, Lancelot.  While Camelot and Arthur are the stuff of legend to most people, figure for Jenkins/Galahad it was a difficult, painful time in his life that he really doesn't want to use as fodder for story-telling.

• Love 6

I think this might be my favorite episode of the series.

Me too and I am so not on board with Jenkins’s mortality. He can be immortal and a dungeon master at the same time.

Edited by Mojeaux
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, SweetTooth said:

That's two weeks in a row mere mortals knew about the library/the librarians.

Magic is back in the world, so the Library/Librarians have had to be a lot more active in the past couple of years.  With more activity comes great potential for other folks to notice things and figure stuff out.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, SweetTooth said:

Does anybody think there's anything to all of these people outside of the library picking up clues that the library exists?

Like, first the reporter and now Jeff?

That's two weeks in a row mere mortals knew about the library/the librarians.

Not to mention Ezekial's mother (maybe the sisters, I forget). I do think it's deliberately leading to something, just not sure what.

Edited by Clanstarling
2 hours ago, SweetTooth said:

But Ezekiel's mom was BROUGHT there. I'm talking about civilians who just KNOW about it. Like the reporter who found clues and Ted who had his shrine.

Both of these people were not brought to the library or have any connection to it, yet they not only know the library but know there are librarians or actually know the NAMES of them.

I consider DOSA part of the network. But yes, I was speaking about civilians with no connection to the library at all.

Fair point, though as I recall, she wasn't brought there as much as she snuck in. But I could very well be wrong.

Yes, it is intriguing to have civilians who aren't in any way connected to the library know about it. Perhaps someone who knows about it is telling people (say, a certain person who was imprisoned by the library for hundreds of years - it could be payback).

53 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Yes, it is intriguing to have civilians who aren't in any way connected to the library know about it. Perhaps someone who knows about it is telling people (say, a certain person who was imprisoned by the library for hundreds of years - it could be payback).

Maybe they're a bit more connected than we know.  Perhaps the Library has its own "list" of potential Librarians and people on that list are more likely/able to learn about the Library.

Also, the whole "magic is real" thing is starting to break loose just a bit if re-animated sabertooth tigers and mammoths were running around Los Angeles.  Sure, most people who weren't actually (and some who were) will dismiss it as a hoax/gas leak/whatever, but some of this stuff is out there and more people are paying attention to it.  So more people are likely to track it back to the Library.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SweetTooth said:

But I don't know how they'd track it to the Library, unless, as I'm thinking, something hinky is going down where someone is leaking info about the Library and the Librarians to the outside world. 

Well, if nothing else, people might start to notice that the same four-six people always seem to show up wherever this shit happens, usually while it's happening.

• Love 1

I think the librarians are becoming like the Torchwood gang. The most widely recognized 'secret' organization in the world. Whenever this freaky stuff (like reanimated saber tooth tigers) happens you look around and invariably see the same four people either doing something that seems to make it happen or else doing something that makes it stop. People may not know exactly who they are but they are part of it. They're as likely to get the blame as they are the credit.

• Love 2
On February 5, 2018 at 8:54 AM, KirkB said:

They're as likely to get the blame as they are the credit.

I'd love to see them have to do a magical "clear my name" type scenario. DOSA would be blaming them for something they didn't do, so they would have to figure out who or what was behind it.