Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 Info & Casting

• Start Topic

Is there any chance that the thread could be renamed to just Casting News and Speculation or something like that? It's already been confirmed that the show is getting a season 6 and some of the S5 stuff will hint at plans for the future, so I think a general thread would be more interesting than one that lasts this summer.

Is there any chance that the thread could be renamed to just Casting News and Speculation or something like that? It's already been confirmed that the show is getting a season 6 and some of the S5 stuff will hint at plans for the future, so I think a general thread would be more interesting than one that lasts this summer.

There is already a general speculation thread here for spoiled folks and another here for unspoiled folks. This thread is for season 5 news and info only, there will be another for season 6 next year. However, I have updated the thread title to make it perfectly clear.

There is already a general speculation thread here for spoiled folks and another here for unspoiled folks. This thread is for season 5 news and info only, there will be another for season 6 next year. However, I have updated the thread title to make it perfectly clear.

Thanks, this forum has more threads than TWOP used to. So in addition to casting, this will be the thread to post location news and S5 set reports once filming starts, then.

I love the idea of finding a role for David Oakes but the only real options are Aegon and Quentyn and neither seems quite right to me. I think Francois Arnaud could be a decent Aegon. I also like the idea of the White Queen's Richard III actor for Quentyn.

Eleanor Tomlinson could be good for Alys Karstark or even Val.

I think Alfred Molina would make a great Doran.

Jason Isaacs...I suppose he's too young to play Kevan Lannister?

Love the suggestion of Kevin McKidd for Jon Connington.

Emmanuelle Chriqui as Arianne. I know people thinksshe's too old but the character is supposed to be older than Margaery so IMO it shouldn't be that much of an issue.

I think Rufus Sewell could be a good Euron.

• Love 1

I love the idea of finding a role for David Oakes but the only real options are Aegon and Quentyn and neither seems quite right to me. I think Francois Arnaud could be a decent Aegon. I also like the idea of the White Queen's Richard III actor for Quentyn.

I could see David Oakes as Aegon with a change of hair colour but, but, but you mentioned The White Queen and I instantly remembered Max Irons - gosh, he is so nice to look at (wobble) - for Aegon. (I wish).

(edited)

In the book Aegon was 15 or 16, according to Tyrion. Even aging everyone up he shouldn't be more than early 20s, 23 at most.

Edited by Haleth
(edited)

Love the suggestion of Kevin McKidd for Jon Connington.

Ooooo, that's good.  I'd also suggest James Purefoy (Marc Anthony from Rome) as someone on this show -- I always thought he'd make a great Mance Rayder, but he could be John Connington too.

I also hope that Victarion stays;

My pick for him is Ray Stevenson - Titus Pullo from HBO's Rome (can you see a pattern emerging?)

YES.  This.  This is a very good idea.

I have been kind of disappointed in the portrayal of the Ironborn on the Show.  Yara can be a badass, but watching the fight with her seal team six rescue crew and stupid, horrible Ramsey made me think the Ironborn are majorly lame, and it's hard to imagine why anyone in Westeros is threatened by them, other than the elderly and children.  So I'd love to see the Show cast really charismatic, badass actors for those roles, and Ray Stevenson fits the bill quite well.  There's also an actor who played huge, blond Eric on Vikings who's character was killed in Season 1 of that show who I think would make a convincing Victarion.  He's also something like 6'5", so he'd work well as one of the Greyjoy Uncles at least.

On that note, perhaps James Purefoy could be Euron, though I imagine someone bigger, more Ray Stevenson's size.

I could imagine Antonio Banderas as Doran Martell now that I've seen Pedro Pasqual play Oberyn.  But I could also imagine Edward James Olmos in the role as well.  He does quiet, contemplative authority figure well (see Admiral Adama, Battlestar Galactica).

Edited by lawless
  • Love 2

Ooooo, that's good.  I'd also suggest James Purefoy (Marc Anthony from Rome) as someone on this show -- I always thought he'd make a great Mance Rayder, but he could be John Connington too.

I've seen him suggested for Euron.

In the book Aegon was 15 or 16, according to Tyrion. Even aging everyone up he shouldn't be more than early 20s, 23 at most.

Aegon is older than Jon Snow (Kit Harington is 28), Max Irons is 29.

But how old is Jon supposed to be on the show?  20ish?  I just think it would be a bit weird to have a guy pushing 30 play an impulsive ingenue being trained by a knight and a septa.  Plus it would mean (real) Aegon was an adolescent when he was killed, not a young child.  It works for Harrington to play a somewhat naive kid because he looks so much younger.

I love James Purefoy but I don't think he looks like he could be the brother to Balon or the uncle of Theon and Yara.

I think Allen Leech could be a good Aegon although I'm not sure if Downton Abbey will have finished its run by that point.

Not sure how old the High Septon should be but Anatole Taubman could be good He played Remigius in Pillars of the Earth.

Assuming Aegon VI isn't excised, he should be about a year older than Dany, so early 20s.  I hope David Oakes stays far away from this show, unless he's introduced as a character that gets killed off quickly like Aerys Oakheart.  I can't stand the actor.

My ideal Euron is Ian McShane. The one real obstacle is his age, but he's a very young looking 70 and he's definitely shown a flair for colorful evil characters.

But how old is Jon supposed to be on the show?  20ish?  I just think it would be a bit weird to have a guy pushing 30 play an impulsive ingenue being trained by a knight and a septa.  Plus it would mean (real) Aegon was an adolescent when he was killed, not a young child.  It works for Harrington to play a somewhat naive kid because he looks so much younger.

19, Cersei said recently that it's been 19 years since the Rebellion. Which fits with him and Robb being 17 in s1. I don't think Kit really looks that much younger than his real age, especially with the beard. Most people don't seem to remember that Robb, Jon and Dany were all meant to be teenagers.

Given past records, I'd say at least one more member of the Rome cast joining for s5 seems likely. My vote is for Ian McNiece as Wyman Manderly.

(edited)

Given past records, I'd say at least one more member of the Rome cast joining for s5 seems likely. My vote is for Ian McNiece as Wyman Manderly.

It's never gonna happen, but I'd love to see Lindsay Duncan as Genna Lannister.

Edited by LilWharveyGal
  • Love 1
(edited)

John Noble was upgraded to a series regular on Sleepy Hollow, I don't know if he'd have time for a recurring role on another show.

But it would be pretty awesome. I was touting him for Walder Frey back in the first off season, figured he could channel Denethor II from his LOTR days.

Edited by Maximum Taco

Tumblr user claims that Nell Tiger Free is the new Myrcella. That's such an obscure name that I think the rumour might be true.

Rudimentary Google research indicates that she's 14 (15 in October) so that puts her at the right age, she's british, so she's got the accent, always important for child actors who probably can't fake it as well as the adults, and she's only been in like 2 or 3 things, which is GOT's penchant for usually casting unknowns, especially in the child roles.

Sounds like a plausible rumour.

Shoot, I can't remember which thread it's in where we were talking about the speculation of Jaime (and Bronn) going to Dorne, but it occured to me... he's going to deliver the Mountain's skull to Doran Martell.  (And maybe try to kidnap Myrcella, but the pretext for the visit will be the skull.)

Wic is confirming through its 'sources' that Irish actress Aimee Richardson will not be returning as Myrcella in Season 5.  Her replacement is English actress Nell Tiger Free.  WiC speculates that the 'Romeo-and-Juliet teen love story' between Myrcella and Trystane will be expanded.

They must have their reasons, I'm sure, but I feel sorry for young Aimee.  She's been so excited to return to the show, so thrilled to be a part of it, and now... not.  Tough business, is show business!

• Love 1
(edited)

Wic is confirming through its 'sources' that Irish actress Aimee Richardson will not be returning as Myrcella in Season 5.  Her replacement is English actress Nell Tiger Free.  WiC speculates that the 'Romeo-and-Juliet teen love story' between Myrcella and Trystane will be expanded.

They must have their reasons, I'm sure, but I feel sorry for young Aimee.  She's been so excited to return to the show, so thrilled to be a part of it, and now... not.  Tough business, is show business!

Yeah it seems odd

I think Aimee Richardson is actually slightly older then Nell Tiger Free, so it's not like Tommen who they felt needed to be older than Callum Wharry. 

Maybe they just felt Aimee didn't have the acting chops? Myrcella has been used fairly sparingly for the first 4 seasons, and next season I wouldn't be surprised to see her elevated to a main character. Probably a tough blow for her, to be sure, but as you said that's show business.

Edited by Maximum Taco

Yeah it seems odd

I think Aimee Richardson is actually slightly older then Nell Tiger Free, so it's not like Tommen who they felt needed to be older than Callum Wharry. 

Maybe they just felt Aimee didn't have the acting chops? Myrcella has been used fairly sparingly for the first 4 seasons, and next season I wouldn't be surprised to see her elevated to a main character. Probably a tough blow for her, to be sure, but as you said that's show business.

Aimee's too blonde. They're looking for brunette Lannisters.

Why would they do that?  It makes no sense to make Myrcella brunette.  (I'll go with Aimee having other commitments.  Good for you, Aimee!)

I can't go to Yahoo or other sites without the name LADY STONEHEART being shouted in their headlines.  Surely nonreaders are seeing that name, no matter how hard they are trying to remain unsullied.  I can't imagine what they must be thinking.

• Love 1

Mads Mikkelson was a fan favorite suggestion of Euron on the TWOP boards.  If Euron is introduced in S5, I don't think he's available with Hannibal's renewal. 

Walter Bishop on GoT - heaven!! ;)

John Noble is an excellent suggestion.  His Walter Bishop was vaguely Kindly Man-like. 

Given that there wasn't a casting call for Arianne or Doran, they've probably been cast and probably with more high profile actors. 

The Myrcella recast makes sense with the expanded role similar to Tommen.  Both of the original actors were little more than standins and extras with few lines. 

Hmm. I love Tom W as much as anyone but I think this is a bad idea. Arya should not know the Kindly Man. This is only pandering to fans if true. (And yet they suggest no Stoneheart regardless of fan pressure.)

(edited)

For the purposes of the TV show, this isn't a bad idea.  It gives the audience a familiar face in Braavos, just like Tyrion has a familiar face with Varys initially.  True, a major point of their Essos journeys is that both of them are truly on their own for the first time.  But I don't think it's a bad idea at all.  The Waif can serve more of that unfamiliar teacher role to Arya.

Also, didn't he say that "Jaqen was dead"?  So that means the Kindly Man is his new (true?) persona.

I thought they might have him be the one to kill Balon back in Season 3.

Edited by benteen

For the purposes of the TV show, this isn't a bad idea.  It gives the audience a familiar face in Braavos, just like Tyrion has a familiar face with Varys initially.  True, a major point of their Essos journeys is that both of them are truly on their own for the first time.  But I don't think it's a bad idea at all.  The Waif can serve more of that unfamiliar teacher role to Arya.

Also, didn't he say that "Jaqen was dead"?  So that means the Kindly Man is his new (true?) persona.

I thought they might have him be the one to kill Balon back in Season 3.

Another posibility is that it is the Kindly Man, but using the Jaqen face to make Arya feel more comfortable. It's been long enough since we last saw him that Jaquen could've been to Braavos and left the face there. Or that the show will use another explanation for the Faceless Men's abilities that allows for more than one to use the same face.

• Love 1