Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

3 minutes ago, COESpiral said:

Skating scandal gossip:  this Spanish team in the Olympics actually shouldn't be competing, the other Spanish team (and her former partner Adrian Diaz) actually scored higher at an earlier competition, but a judge screwed with the scoring on purpose and so Hurtado/Khaliavin got to go to the Olympics.  The judge just got suspended for six months.  During the off season.  Handy.

For some more outrage- the Russian judge on this panel Maria Abasova (so the one caught up in all this French-Russian alliancing) was at this event, and the reason the Turkish judge got investigated and suspended for 6 whole months is because they were conferring suspiciously and it got flagged. And now we're at the Olympics! 

• Love 2
Just now, anniebird said:

Tanith is disagreeing with a lot of the technical scores - thinks the judges are being too lenient. This does not bode well.

No, it doesn't. It means that this will be decided on PCS, which are so so open to manipulation.

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, COESpiral said:

I'm just happy Tanith White is doing the commentary tonight and we get a break from the glitter twins.  And I won't have to keep yelling, "shut UP!" at my screen.

The "glitter twins"...heh heh. @COESpiral: Thanks for the chuckle tonight (needed that chuckle since I'm really tense re: the outcome of the SD)  Yeah--whether it's Tara reminiscing about her big day at the O's or trying to figure out which animal has landed on Johnny's head, I have a hard time listening to anything they say.  OK: fingers crossed--GO SHIB SIBS!!

• Love 3
1 minute ago, BitterApple said:

Oooooh, boy. Tanith basically said the scoring thus far is bullshit, and she's said it several times. This is gonna get interesting.......

I hope she keeps this up tbh. Often with Ben Agosto he's absolutely brilliant at pointing out where the technical errors were and where the scores are suspect for the lower ranked teams, and then goes silent for the top flight. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, CherryMalotte said:

I don't ice dance myself, have no athletic abilities whatsoever - but I say it with love...if your moves look like something I did at my gyne exam last week, it shouldn't be part of your routine.

Ha.  I'm tempted to go in an opposite direction. If anything that happens at my gynecological exam resembles anything seen on ice, I'm  looking for a new gynecologist. 

51 minutes ago, Shades of Red said:

A weird thought just crossed my mind.  Is it possible Tessa and Scott have returned to the original crotch in face lift (I've forgotten the cool name someone one here gave the lift - sorry) as a FU to the judges?  If they've been hearing the same rumours about the judging and it's going to be a shit show, maybe they figure they can offend them then?

Doubt it.  If they made the change, it's because they think it'll give them a better chance of winning.  Even if they hear the whispers, they want to win.

31 minutes ago, anniebird said:

Tanith seemed to think that the Russians were scored too high for their technical skills.

Not just them.  (As has already been pointed out but I already selected this for a quote so....)

10 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

By the way, Dick Button is live tweeting the ice dancing, which surprises me, since that's not really his particular specialty.

Now THAT would be interesting to know...when they get to the top teams, what he thinks.

24 minutes ago, herbz said:

Some of these Choctaws being credited compared to the ones that were not with the SAME PANEL last week...

I thought this tech panel would continue with what they started in the team event.

20 minutes ago, Vera said:

I really like this SD from Coomes/Buckland. They skated it really well too. 

This is one of my favorites this season! I hope they can place top 10!

4 minutes ago, HartofDixie said:

I thought this tech panel would continue with what they started in the team event.

I had hoped, but had suspected scores would be much more lenient here. There's currently no way to hold tech panels accountable. Welcome to ice dance! 

V/M and the Shibs are probably most hurt by this, because the judges now have a ballpark score for their SD even though this panel was being much stricter then, and their competition may very well get credit here for things they wouldn't have done in the Team.

Edited by herbz
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I just sent an email to support@nbcsports.com to let them know how impressed I am with Tanith Belbin's work on Olympic Ice and as an ice dance commentator.  She really is so professional and has been doing a great job at the O's.  

She's great. I still can't get over the fact that she was demonstrating twizzles yesterday while holding (and talking into) a mic. Charlie had a really sweet tweet last week praising her work and saying how hard she prepares before going on air. You can really tell.

• Love 10

I think the stream and main network are now together for what they're showing.  
I have to say, I'm really noticing the edges more on the required dance moves.  Carol Lane just said the judges have been consistent and Kirk said they are toeing the line.  Could be interesting to hear what they say when the top ten or so get their marks.

• Love 2

I have a question for those of you who know more about this than I do - Tanith just said the team from Japan competed in both the short and long programs in the team event and wondered how that would affect their stamina. Don't they normally train many hours a day? How could performing their programs once, a week ago, affect their stamina?

2 minutes ago, anniebird said:

I have a question for those of you who know more about this than I do - Tanith just said the team from Japan competed in both the short and long programs in the team event and wondered how that would affect their stamina. Don't they normally train many hours a day? How could performing their programs once, a week ago, affect their stamina?

I think it's the whole atmosphere that's more draining than anything. The adrenaline of competition and the subsequent crash always exhausted me far more than training did.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Omg flashback to scary Babs and the Torino SD splat-fest! One of my favorite Olympic memories.

Barbara's death glare. It sure scared me.

Edited by anniebird
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, leopardprint said:

The Chinese got a deduction because her costume touched the ice? Did I understand that correctly?

I believe some of the fringe from her skirt fell off on the ice.  That can be a danger to the skaters, so you get a deduction if your costume starts falling apart mid-dance.

• Love 1
Just now, COESpiral said:

I believe some of the fringe from her skirt fell off on the ice.  That can be a danger to the skaters, so you get a deduction if your costume starts falling apart mid-dance.

Wow.  Who knew that a simple wardrobe malfunction could be so dangerous?

• Love 1

The Korean woman looks like she's had some wardrobe adjustments to her dress.  It's looking a little more secure tonight.  Hopefully no unwelcome and distracting surprises for her in tonight's dance.

It's been mentioned previously, but I have to wonder who thought the see through material for all the guys was a good idea this year?  I'm really noticing it now with this many pairs on the ice.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Wow.  Who knew that a simple wardrobe malfunction could be so dangerous?

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that someone once did this on purpose and that's why it's now a deduction.

3 minutes ago, anniebird said:

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that someone once did this on purpose and that's why it's now a deduction.

They've made skaters pick up pieces of other's costumes that have fallen off before.  Adam Rippon at Skate America 2017 for example: 

Edited by kalystia1983
because 2018 skate america hasn't happened yet
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Shades of Red said:

The Korean woman looks like she's had some wardrobe adjustments to her dress.  It's looking a little more secure tonight.  Hopefully no unwelcome and distracting surprises for her in tonight's dance.

It's been mentioned previously, but I have to wonder who thought the see through material for all the guys was a good idea this year?  I'm really noticing it now with this many pairs on the ice.

Well, according to the USA men's singles skater (Adam?), it helps avoid "pit stains."  (This in response to a viewer's question on Olympic Ice.). I had to stop watching at that point.  The questions were  becoming too "boxers or briefs" for me.  ??

I also like  Tanith's commentary.  Really helpful to the occasional viewer like me.

• Love 3

With all the sequins and feathers and fringe and beading that goes on these costumes, if they fall off and the blade hits it, it can cause them to fall and possibly be injured.  Not to mention, if there's a lot of them that fall off and can't be found, the ice has to be cleaned again which slows everything down.  So it's a deduction I actually agree with.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, anniebird said:

Tanith seemed to think that the Russians were scored too high for their technical skills.

In other words, business as usual. #SkatingWhileRussian 

The Russian threats don't just affect V/M vs. P/C. It also means we could see B/S in for the Bronze. I'm afraid I may throw something at the TV if that happens. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 3

Tanith is an amazing commentator, but I wish she would speak a little less during the programs so I could watch the skaters skate. I wish she'd save some of her thoughts for when they are showing the slow motion replays.  But ymmv.  Maybe she will be less talkative when the final groups perform?

• Love 4

When did Ice Dance & Pairs become so similar looking?  I swear I keep expecting some of these couples to break out into jumps.  I know this is the more technical program but to me there doesn't seem to be as much dancing.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Love said:

When did Ice Dance & Pairs become so similar looking?  I swear I keep expecting some of these couples to break out into jumps.  I know this is the more technical program but to me there doesn't seem to be as much dancing.

That's been a complaint for some time now. It used to be that Ice Dancing had very strict rules to demonstrate that it truly has its roots in ballroom dancing and is a separate discipline from Pairs, but that distinction has started becoming blurred again.

• Love 4