Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

4 minutes ago, Cindyluwho said:

They seem to have fixed the problem. 

Maybe they were reading this?  LOL!  I'm glad it's fixed.

I know the men are strong when it comes to pairs and ice dancing, but the core strength on the women needs to be recognized!  

Editing to add : what a gorgeous dress on the Polish ice dancer.  Great colour and design.

Edited by Shades of Red

Were all the lifts and spins, like the combined sit spin (for lack of technical term) added into ice dance in order to make it have more technical elements and be a little less subjective?  Some routines have so many lifts and spins, I expect them to break out the jumps soon.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

The Japanese lady's dress is very pretty.

The "revealed" version with the cherry blossoms is gorgeous, but I really didn't like the starting version. It looked like she had been rolling around in dirt in a pretty pink dress.

3 minutes ago, Cindyluwho said:

What was the audience chanting at the end of the Russians performance?

The Russian fans chant something at the Not!Russian athletes when they get done.  In Sochi, it was a constant, never-ending "Roo-see-ya!".  It doesn't sound like that's what they're saying this time, but it's still hella annoying.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, MostlyC said:

Exogenesis/Muse seem to be all over the Freedance; It's Despacito 2.0!

It's the give and take of being able to use music with lyrics.  It's made for some truly great/truly awful performances.

43 minutes ago, Garden Wafers said:

Is that the case? I'm watching the NBC stream and wondered why they'd messed with an otherwise lovely medley

Yes, she mentioned it specifically - there's some rule where all music needs to have a discernible beat to it. So they had to have that added in. Tanith went on to discuss how dance teams have music adjusted.

Warning, folks: over to NBC now (about 9:40). They are between groups so NBC has skiing on for now.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, HartofDixie said:

Even though the book was more about gymnastics "Little Girls in Pretty Boxes" did include skaters and their eating disorders.

Christine Brennan wrote a book that talked about eating disorders and other behind the scenes skating stuff, but I cannot for the life of me remember the name of it now. 

6 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Oh, I don't know -- I thought the compulsories were a wonderful round of the competition that emphasized the fact that Ice Dancing actually has its roots in ballroom dancing.  I for one would love to see the compulsories reinstated.

I think in general overall skating quality has gone down since they got rid of compulsory eating across the disciplines. 

4 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Here is my unpopular opinion that might get me kicked out of here:  I didn’t have a problem with Tara winning gold in Nagano.  Both skated very, very well, but Michelle was a little tentative and Tara was fearless.  It could have gone either way that evening.  IMO Michelle peaked too early, skating perfectly at Nationals.  I was there, and she was sublime.  She lost just a little at the Olympics, and unfortunately it was just enough.

I’ll take it a step further. Michelle was the most overrated skater of our time. She was excellent, but she wasn’t God’s gift to ice skating. Every time she lost it was spun that she should have won, when really she just needed to get over herself.

So.  I'm watching on the NBC app so I get to hear/watch the emcee try to hype the crowd and have dance contests etc.

The emcee keeps screaming "SHOW ME YOUR MOVES" but it totally sounds like she is saying "SHOW ME YOUR BOOBS" and it throws me every time.

Also, the DJ in there LOVES "Come On" by One Direction - they play it every single break.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, deaja said:

I’ll take it a step further. Michelle was the most overrated skater of our time. She was excellent, but she wasn’t God’s gift to ice skating. Every time she lost it was spun that she should have won, when really she just needed to get over herself.

I'll take it a step further. I think that era of figure skating is pretty over-rated. I just want to mash up the freedom of artistic choices they had back then with what we have now, but the current era is more interesting.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Bama said:

I thought the "Tortilla and Dean" auto-correct was my favorite but this might be the best just because of the context.  Compulsory Eating While Ice Skating - AWESOME.

Twizzles while eating twizzlers.  I think we're on to something here.

• Love 21
1 minute ago, kittykat said:

Twizzles while eating twizzlers.  I think we're on to something here.

I'm shocked that Twizzlers has not jumped on the opportunity to make an ad about it...maybe we should get the Shib Sibs on this. 

• Love 18

I’d be really embarrassed by my lack of proof-reading, but I’m laughing too hard, particularly at Twizzlers while Twizzling.

5 minutes ago, Moxie Cat said:

Yes, compulsory eating! Give some of these ladies a cheeseburger!

"Ooh....cheese!" "It's the weekend, I can pig out if I want to!"

Man I finally found an Olympic competition I'd win! Throw in snarking at figure skaters while eating and bam, instant gold medal.

ETA: Loved the James Bond routine. And her dress! The outfits tonight in general have been way better than they were last night.

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 3