Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

1 minute ago, legaleagle53 said:

That's been a complaint for some time now. It used to be that Ice Dancing had very strict rules to demonstrate that it truly has its roots in ballroom dancing and is a separate discipline from Pairs, but that distinction has started becoming blurred again.

I do miss the ballroom dance aspect.  But then I (a casual viewer) remember being blown away by Torvill and Dean when they did a more "dramatic" dance.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Love said:

When did Ice Dance & Pairs become so similar looking?  I swear I keep expecting some of these couples to break out into jumps.  I know this is the more technical program but to me there doesn't seem to be as much dancing.

And here I was thinking pairs should edge more dance. I was getting SO TIRED of yet another star lift with legs akimbo in the pairs long. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Here's another ice dancer who aged well: Marina Klimova

Some of the male dancers have aged very well, too. I think Christopher Dean is hotter today than he was when he competed (come to think of it, Jayne's really aged well, too)!

• Love 10

Minor gripe, I'm getting tired of hearing "So-and-so was born in Detroit, raised in Kiev and now competes for Venezuela." Are any of these people actually true blue citizens of the countries they represent? Maybe I should throw my hat in the ring and compete for Team Antarctica in 2020.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 14
1 minute ago, BitterApple said:

Minor gripe, I'm getting tired of hearing "So-and-so was born in Detroit, raised in Kiev and now competes for Venezuela." Are any of these people actually true blue citizens of the countries they represent? Maybe I should throw my hat in the ring and compete for Team Antarctica in 2020.

They've never had an athlete at the games before so you'd make history.

• Love 10

Minor gripe, I'm getting tired of hearing "So-and-so was born in Detroit, raise in Kiev and now competes for Venezuela." Are any of these people actually true blue citizens of the countries they represent? Maybe I should throw my hat in the ring and compete for Team Antarctica in 2020.

I think Chris Reed had to renounce his US citizenship to skate for Japan.

• Love 3

Minor gripe, I'm getting tired of hearing "So-and-so was born in Detroit, raise in Kiev and now competes for Venezuela." Are any of these people actually true blue citizens of the countries they represent? Maybe I should throw my hat in the ring and compete for Team Antarctica in 2020.

Hey you gotta go where you get the support. And at least most have at least one partner with some connection to the country. 

The Italian lady looks like a unicorn. Love it. 

7 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Some of the male dancers have aged very well, too. I think Christopher Dean is hotter today than he was when he competed (come to think of it, Jayne's really aged well, too)!

Jayne has aged really well.  He’s always been fabulous looking, but she sometimes looked like her teeth were too big for her mouth. 

• Love 2

So ... it seems as if all the ice dance teams are either with:

Scary Babs

Marina Zoueva

Igor Shphilband

Dubreil/Lauzon

Except for the Chinese team. They're with good old Hongbo Zhao.

ETA: Tanith reassures us that Scary Babs is actually "so lovely and friendly." 

Edited by Growsonwalls
  • Love 6
8 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Dick Button has the same question!

70FA1F00-134F-48C1-A623-E787F1CD8D03.jpeg

• Love 5

I think country hopping is especially forgivable in pairs and dance because finding a partner you can do well with and put up with can't be easy. 

Hell, I think USA should convince the North Korean pair to defect to the US. 

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

Dick Button has the same question!

70FA1F00-134F-48C1-A623-E787F1CD8D03.jpeg

I agree with him. One of the big things they stress about the Olympics is competing for national pride, so when you have all these athletes citizenship shopping, it kind of makes the whole thing disingenuous. I understand you have to go where you get the funding, but I don't ever recall it being this out of control.

• Love 6

Isn't country hoping really just a problem in ice dance and pairs? There aren't a lot of cross country skiers skiing for different countries.

Edited by greendog78
All contractions aren't the same.
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, greendog78 said:

Isn't country hoping really just a problem in ice dance and pairs? There aren't a lot of cross country skiers skiing for different countries.

Speed skating has a lot of Dutch exports... 

• Love 1

The ShibSibs looked so relaxed tonight. They sometimes seem a little reserved, but they seemed like they had a lot of fun during the short dance.

Edited by sweeks
  • Love 15