Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

3 minutes ago, Vera said:

I'm going to watch. I think this will be the last Olys and season for many teams and have been watching them develop for over a decade now. I've developed a fondness, even for those whose skating I criticize. 

Regardless of the scoring, I think all the teams will deliver and we should have a good competition!

My feelings too. Hoping for fair judging in Ice Dance is pretty pointless, so I'll just enjoy the performances and hope nobody is too obviously hosed or too gutted by the result. I might just rank them based on their costumes #alternativefacts

Edited by herbz
  • Love 3

I will be watching, rooting for the Shibutanis.  I love their short especially.  If an american is to medal, then I want it to be them.

For the women (ladies seems so demeaning), I don't think either of the OAR/Russian women will fall.  I'd love for a dark horse to get a medal.

I am hoping for good competitions with good skating.

• Love 15
5 hours ago, HartofDixie said:

Unfortunately not much has changed for dance with IJS. Even the skaters have that “wait your turn” mentality.

So hey, what was the point of overhauling anything after Salt Lake? Seems to me this is a case of same shit, different sandwich. 

Man, if I was Duhamel and Radford I'd wear my medals at the arena and parade them in front of the judges. With that ridiculous Candyman routine and their costumes, Tarasova/Mazorov deserved to win about as much as I did. And thus, the Olympic Athletes From Russia and their state-sponsored doping program can fuck right off.

• Love 17
30 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

I wouldn't take TSL really seriously. The quality of their stuff has REALLY dropped since Jenny Kirk left the show and now they're sort of the skating equivalent of the Daily Mail.

Tbf though, judging by who they've interviewed in the past year, they've got good sources. Meaghan Duhamel was just on doing the Pairs recap from the village and mentioned texting them during the Men's event. This is also entirely believable based on Russia's scoring all season. The new bit is the open threatening.

Edited by herbz
  • Love 6
51 minutes ago, MostlyC said:

I will be watching, rooting for the Shibutanis.  I love their short especially.  If an american is to medal, then I want it to be them.

For the women (ladies seems so demeaning), I don't think either of the OAR/Russian women will fall.  I'd love for a dark horse to get a medal.

I am hoping for good competitions with good skating.

I'm hoping that the dark horse is Mirai. She deserves it after all she's been through. The ups and downs and the 2014 Olympic selection (or lack thereof). 

And NBC would be all over that redemption story like a rash. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 10

My main hope for this Olympics was for the Shibs to skate well and medal.  With them barely squeaking by the NotRussians in the team event and with H/D now national champs, I am worried for the Shibs.  (I was going to say more about how Bobrova looks hunched when she skates and how Hubbell's recent demeanor is making me not like her much but ... well, I guess I did just say it!)

• Love 9
57 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

So hey, what was the point of overhauling anything after Salt Lake? Seems to me this is a case of same shit, different sandwich. 

Man, if I was Duhamel and Radford I'd wear my medals at the arena and parade them in front of the judges. With that ridiculous Candyman routine and their costumes, Tarasova/Mazorov deserved to win about as much as I did. And thus, the Olympic Athletes From Russia and their state-sponsored doping program can fuck right off.

A-fucking-men. 

I'm fully preparing to be pissed off tonight and tomorrow. 

What a shock. A bronze medal winning Olympic Athlete from Russia failed a drug test. At THIS Olympics. You know, when they were supposed to be cleaning up their act? 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 8

Adam Rippon is on Olympic Ice.  He just said he will not be working for NBC this Olympics because it would have meant leaving his team as an athlete and the Olympic village.  I feel like somewhere Johnny Weir is breathing a sigh of relief.  

• Love 6

Here's the summary of Adam's interview: Me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, snarky joke about the host's tie, me, me, me, me, me.

This guy would seriously give a play-by-play of himself taking a dump if meant more airtime.

• Love 11

Herbz I really respect what you have to say about V/M's skating skills. I do. However, I find their 'emoting' to be ridiculous, their expressions to be laughable and their programs to be boring. I have long since before they won a gold medal. I almost feel like I'm watching a SNL bit about "ACTING" on ice. It's just so...bad. If they'd stop ACTING and just skate and have fun with it, I think I'd like them so much better. There is no one drop of genuine emotion in their skating. It's all calculated and robotic. 

Watching V/M decreases my interest in the sport. I'd rather switch over to short track or cross country skiing when they are on. I don't know where "dull as dishwater and like watching a fourth grade play" falls into the scoring system. I suspect it really doesn't because it's a subjective, visceral reaction.

Because of that, I do not want them to win. I want to enjoy watching Ice Dance and watching V/M takes away that enjoyment. I felt like this with a few others, Meno/Sand specifically, Debi Thomas, Elvis Stojko, Nancy Kerrigan. There are more, I'm sure.

All that being said, I'd like fair judging and if I were a judge, I'd have to mark down V/M on whatever "entertainment and interest" mark I could give them.

• Love 9
22 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Herbz I really respect what you have to say about V/M's skating skills. I do. However, I find their 'emoting' to be ridiculous, their expressions to be laughable and their programs to be boring. I have long since before they won a gold medal. I almost feel like I'm watching a SNL bit about "ACTING" on ice. It's just so...bad. If they'd stop ACTING and just skate and have fun with it, I think I'd like them so much better. There is no one drop of genuine emotion in their skating. It's all calculated and robotic. 

Watching V/M decreases my interest in the sport. I'd rather switch over to short track or cross country skiing when they are on. I don't know where "dull as dishwater and like watching a fourth grade play" falls into the scoring system. I suspect it really doesn't because it's a subjective, visceral reaction.

Because of that, I do not want them to win. I want to enjoy watching Ice Dance and watching V/M takes away that enjoyment. I felt like this with a few others, Meno/Sand specifically, Debi Thomas, Elvis Stojko, Nancy Kerrigan. There are more, I'm sure.

All that being said, I'd like fair judging and if I were a judge, I'd have to mark down V/M on whatever "entertainment and interest" mark I could give them.

Not even Prince? I'd say Prince was them just having fun.

Hey, everyone's entitled to hate watching them and want them to fall over because they hate watching them! Ice is slippery :P  I've hated watching couples in the past and begrudgingly accepted they're still the best. But there really isn't a category that covers that sort of thing in the current criteria, because it would be so much harder to argue for its inclusion as a sport if there were. There's one component- Performance- which is a category with some subjective flexibility, but tbh they still check the boxes for high marks by the handbook there even if it's not your personal taste. But if you hypothetically gave them a lower score in that component to reflect that you don't like the performance, they'd still score highly enough in every other category to counteract that. 

I love gymnastics. I'd watch a floor routine from Aliya Mustafina over Aly Raisman any day even though I know Aly does harder stuff and Aliya has awful twisting form. But I'm not a gymnast, so I just root for whoever's performance I click with or whoever's glittery eyeshadow I think is coolest. But because this is my sport I always root for the cleanest skating, because that's what the judging system is meant to reward and that's what we train for years to perfect over the emotion of it all. And the emotion sort of comes when your body is moving the way it's meant to.

Edited by herbz
  • Love 6
8 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

There is no one drop of genuine emotion in their skating. It's all calculated and robotic. 

This is how I feel about a lot of the teams. B/S and C/B included.

It's Ice Dance. Bad posture, bad lines, lack of unison, etc bugs me. It's dancing and if your body isn't selling it, you're doing something wrong, IMO.

Nazarova has had that hideous outfit the entire season and I don't get how someone hasn't told her to change it.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Vera said:

This is how I feel about a lot of the teams. B/S and C/B included.

It's Ice Dance. Bad posture, bad lines, lack of unison, etc bugs me. It's dancing and if your body isn't selling it, you're doing something wrong, IMO.

Nazarova has had that hideous outfit the entire season and I don't get how someone hasn't told her to change it.

Yes, this! Dance is so much more than superficial emoting or face acting. All of it has to be led by the body, which is why an unpointed foot or a wild arm movement will always take me out of a performance more than a weird face (that being said, Scott could stand to take it down just a notch sometimes) 

Edited by herbz
  • Love 4

They need to get the skiing camera guys out here to do that overlay thing. Make all ice dancers start the pattern at one end, overlay them, and then show us all who gets the most ice coverage, speed, deepest edges, etc. 

• Love 2

A weird thought just crossed my mind.  Is it possible Tessa and Scott have returned to the original crotch in face lift (I've forgotten the cool name someone one here gave the lift - sorry) as a FU to the judges?  If they've been hearing the same rumours about the judging and it's going to be a shit show, maybe they figure they can offend them then?

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Shades of Red said:

A weird thought just crossed my mind.  Is it possible Tessa and Scott have returned to the original crotch in face lift (I've forgotten the cool name someone one here gave the lift - sorry) as a FU to the judges?  If they've been hearing the same rumours about the judging and it's going to be a shit show, maybe they figure they can offend them then?

Judging by practices today, they have indeed gone back to the original- though I think it's more because the judges were giving them maximum GOE on it and then didn't give them the same marks on the adapted version in the Team event. Which is pretty shady in the first place but at least they know now.

Edited by herbz
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Shades of Red said:

It's been called Cunniliftus. At 2:35 or whereabouts in this video.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, herbz said:

Not even Prince? I'd say Prince was them just having fun.

Hey, everyone's entitled to hate watching them and want them to fall over because they hate watching them! Ice is slippery :P  I've hated watching couples in the past and begrudgingly accepted they're still the best. 

wish I could hatewatch them. Instead it's just secondhand embarrassment. Tessa has terrifyingly dead eyes. Scott seems always concerned with "HOW DOES MY FACE LOOK AT THIS ANGLE?" I watched the first half of the Prince and had to turn it off because it was just so cringe-worthy. So very tryhard.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

wish I could hatewatch them. Instead it's just secondhand embarrassment. Tessa has terrifyingly dead eyes. Scott seems always concerned with "HOW DOES MY FACE LOOK AT THIS ANGLE?" I watched the first half of the Prince and had to turn it off because it was just so cringe-worthy. So very tryhard.

Fair enough. Horses for courses. I do feel that sometimes they play to the back of the house and sometimes that doesn't come off quite the same way on camera. But the dancing really is exquisite.

Edited by herbz
  • Love 2

I've just been puzzled at V/M's choices for the Olympics. I felt like Carmen was the Olympic-worthy program but they used the rather dreary "Seasons" instead. And this year they choose the rather cliched Moulin Rouge, when I thought last year's Gold-medal winning Free Dance was the superior program.

2 minutes ago, MostlyC said:

Thus far, what do people think about the judging?  Are they being fair? Too Strict? Too Lax? 

Tanith seemed to think that the Russians were scored too high for their technical skills.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

I've just been puzzled at V/M's choices for the Olympics. I felt like Carmen was the Olympic-worthy program but they used the rather dreary "Seasons" instead. And this year they choose the rather cliched Moulin Rouge, when I thought last year's Gold-medal winning Free Dance was the superior program.

The judges screwed them re. Carmen. They loved it on its first outing, everyone was talking about it, but soon enough there were whispers that it was too provocative and they lost Worlds and the GPF with it. They went overly safe to compensate. 

I wouldn't have chosen Moulin Rouge, but I get picking something uber dramatic and popular to contrast with P/C.  

Skating scandal gossip:  this Spanish team in the Olympics actually shouldn't be competing, the other Spanish team (and her former partner Adrian Diaz) actually scored higher at an earlier competition, but a judge screwed with the scoring on purpose and so Hurtado/Khaliavin got to go to the Olympics.  The judge just got suspended for six months.  During the off season.  Handy.

• Love 4