Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions: Whitney's Fabulous!

• Start Topic

Too soon?  I thought that it would be nice to have a thread for those who have unpopular opinions about the show, since the main episode threads seem to trend in one direction.  So, if you have any nontrending thoughts, this is good place to post them. 

Mine so far:

The storylines for the new season thus far seem pretty amusing.

Whitney seems to be taking her role as friend to Heather and birthing coach to Ashley seriously.

Whit is trying to stay friends with Buddy and Heather, but, encouraging Heather that she deserves better. That's a tough place to be in.  She has to see that Buddy is hurting right now, but, she isn't coming down on him.  I wonder if she already knows what is wrong. 

And finally, I think that Whit certainly has some issues, like being in denial about obesity, but, I don't consider it a moral issue. 

2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Whit is trying to stay friends with Buddy and Heather, but, encouraging Heather that she deserves better. That's a tough place to be in.  She has to see that Buddy is hurting right now, but, she isn't coming down on him.  I wonder if she already knows what is wrong. 

Remember when Whitney called Buddy out on being behind on the rent, and Heather was shocked? (Which, I mean, makes sense. I’m not going to tell my boyfriend I plan to skip paying rent this month.)

Everyone seems to like or at least tolerate Whit's parents but I think they're just as bad as she is. Glenn slaps teenage girls on the ass (it's somewhere in the Social Media thread, one of the soccer players he coached talks about how "I love Glenn, he's the only one I would let slap my ass after practice"), and Babs is an insufferable attention whore who obviously taught Whit everything she knows. Whenever people are like "I love Babs," I'm all "uh huh."

• Love 15
(edited)

Even though Whit is not working a traditional job, I do think that being on a reality show is still work. Granted, it's not as confining as an ordinary job, but, it pays.   Considering that she was able to purchase a house and get a new car, I would assume that she is making enough to pay the bills.  And, that's not always easy to do, even with a college degree.  So, I imagine that her parents are at least happy with that. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
3 hours ago, OnceSane said:

This thread is for Unpopular Opinions only.

I request a poll as to whether or not this thread should be included. Twit has lots of SM sites where fans can salivate over how wonderful she is. I don't like it that she now has a thread for Nit-Whits here.

Further, SunnyBeBe & the few others who like Whitney have always been able to post their positive opinions in other threads. Why can't I post what I think of Twit -- however NOT fawning -- in this thread even tho it's NOT positive?

• Love 18
4 hours ago, Dot said:

I request a poll as to whether or not this thread should be included. Twit has lots of SM sites where fans can salivate over how wonderful she is. I don't like it that she now has a thread for Nit-Whits here.

Further, SunnyBeBe & the few others who like Whitney have always been able to post their positive opinions in other threads. Why can't I post what I think of Twit -- however NOT fawning -- in this thread even tho it's NOT positive?

Eh. Just skip reading it if you don't want to. I am not on FB or Instagram and would be interested in seeing what the Whit army has to say. I follow a lot of folks on Twitter who are across the aisle from me politically and it's fascinating. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, spankydoll said:

Eh. Just skip reading it if you don't want to. I am not on FB or Instagram and would be interested in seeing what the Whit army has to say. I follow a lot of folks on Twitter who are across the aisle from me politically and it's fascinating. 

Do you also think that people who want to comment about posts glorifying Twit should not be able to?

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Dot said:

Because it isn't an unpopular opinion in this forum.  There are literally dozens of threads in this forum (episodes, SM, Whitney's individual one) where you can post your thoughts.  This thread is not a "positivity" thread, as stated above in the mod note, it is solely for Unpopular Opinions.

If anyone has questions or concerns, please PM me or @Princess Sparkle.

• Love 3

Unpopular opinion—I kinda get her fascination with smells. People joke that I must have been a sniffer dog in a past life; I smell books, old game boards (that musty smell really gets me), electronics, just about anything. To me things have a unique scent signature  

I’m reluctant on animal breath, however, and don’t much care for corpses. 

I have no trouble believing she fell for Avi and truly thought they had a serious relationship, even though most of it was probably text/chat/phone.  These men are good at flattering the women and making them fall for them. They aim for their weaknesses and exploit them.  I really do feel bad for her and how it turned out. I truly believe her heart was broken.

Spoken as a fat girl who has fought off these scammers her whole adult life. 

Edited by DanaMB
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Unpopular opinion—I kinda get her fascination with smells. People joke that I must have been a sniffer dog in a past life; I smell books, old game boards (that musty smell really gets me), electronics, just about anything. To me things have a unique scent signature  

I’m reluctant on animal breath, however, and don’t much care for corpses. 

How about beards?  :)

• Love 1
On 1/6/2018 at 1:06 PM, DanaMB said:

I have no trouble believing she fell for Avi and truly thought they had a serious relationship, even though most of it was probably text/chat/phone.  These men are good at flattering the women and making them fall for them. They aim for their weaknesses and exploit them.  I really do feel bad for her and how it turned out. I truly believe her heart was broken.

Spoken as a fat girl who has fought off these scammers her whole adult life. 

I feel bad if she thought she was in a real relationship but it’s hard for me to know because she seems to think any guy who looks her way is in love with her.  The only reason I feel this guy did “scam” her was because of the other women.  I still dislike Whiney but don’t like if people intentionally get their feelings hurt.  I would imagine the guy might have some sort of emotional issues as I haven’t heard at least yet he wasn’t scamming these women out of money or anything like that, where I would just say he’s a con artist.  Maybe he just does it for control or attention.

• Love 1

I do think that Whit is a vulnerable person, despite her gruff demeanor at times. Regardless of how smart asp, funny or tough a woman may come off, it's often an act and just trying to save face.  I think our insecurities come out particularly when we are betrayed and/or rejected. 

5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I do think that Whit is a vulnerable person, despite her gruff demeanor at times. Regardless of how smart asp, funny or tough a woman may come off, it's often an act and just trying to save face.  I think our insecurities come out particularly when we are betrayed and/or rejected. 

I think Whit is a very needy, insecure person and that's why she has to surround herself with so many "yes" people. 

• Love 5
23 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm taking my reply to the Whitney Thore thread.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think that Whitney really does have a good heart and deep commitment to her family and friends.  Sometimes, people who have boundary issues can be misinterpreted and I wonder if that is what we often see with Whit.  I try to keep an open mind and while I do take issue with some of her antics, I don't see anything that is nefarious.  Now, if she could just open her mind to getting treatment for her eating disorder, I'd be so relieved.  And I bet her parents would too. 

With Buddy being in rehab.......I wonder if she may draw comparisons and think that she may need an INPATIENT approach.  I've mentioned it before on this site.  Those facilities are available and she can likely afford it.  I'm staying positive. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I think that Whitney really does have a good heart and deep commitment to her family and friends.  Sometimes, people who have boundary issues can be misinterpreted and I wonder if that is what we often see with Whit.  I try to keep an open mind and while I do take issue with some of her antics, I don't see anything that is nefarious.  Now, if she could just open her mind to getting treatment for her eating disorder, I'd be so relieved.  And I bet her parents would too. 

With Buddy being in rehab.......I wonder if she may draw comparisons and think that she may need an INPATIENT approach.  I've mentioned it before on this site.  Those facilities are available and she can likely afford it.  I'm staying positive. 

I just mentioned something similar in the Having a Baby topic. Whitney needs an intervention herself, a real one. I mean, she has grown Butt Wings. That's a lot of sitting and eating and she's far less mobile than she was in season one. I also still hold out hope that reality slaps her in the face--whether it's an intervention or she just hits rock bottom. No one is asking her to work on being skinny, just to be able to do laps around the gym or complete a 5k without crying in pain. 

As much as I snark on her because I dislike her selfish personality, I'd love to see a turnaround. She genuinely needs help. 

• Love 14
(edited)

Except for that over the top fake thing with Todd, it looks like Whit and her friends are pretty close right now.  They are all pulling together and being supportive of Buddy, which is good. Whit may still be hurting about her lack of a boyfriend, but, she's occupying her time pretty well.  Now on to better health.  (I wish.)

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Except for that over the top fake thing with Todd, it looks like Whit and her friends are pretty close right now.  They are all pulling together and being supportive of Buddy, which is good. Whit may still be hurting about her lack of a boyfriend, but, she's occupying her time pretty well.  Now on to better health.  (I wish.)

Really? Because I don't see that. In fact, I don't think she sees those people at all (except for Donna) outside of filming. She even admitted, on camera, that Buddy's friend Zack saw Buddy more than she does. 

• Love 7
22 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

Really? Because I don't see that. In fact, I don't think she sees those people at all (except for Donna) outside of filming. She even admitted, on camera, that Buddy's friend Zack saw Buddy more than she does. 

And she only sees Donna when she needs help out of the shower, her shoes tied, her breasts massaged, etc.

• Love 13

To me this season is turning out to be one of positivity that I hadn't expected.  Maybe, it's that the cast  were in need, like with the baby birthing or Buddy suffering from addiction, but, I hope it continues.  That heartbreak may have hurt, but it seems that it's truly in the past.  I think that will go over just as well as the negativity. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

To me this season is turning out to be one of positivity that I hadn't expected.  Maybe, it's that the cast  were in need, like with the baby birthing or Buddy suffering from addiction, but, I hope it continues.  That heartbreak may have hurt, but it seems that it's truly in the past.  I think that will go over just as well as the negativity. 

I am so happy that Buddy is getting some help. He was looking so I'll and worn out. I am always sad to see Whitney continue to fail at regaining her health and fitness. I keep looking for a success story that doesn't involve surgery and it doesn't sent to exist.   

• Love 5
11 hours ago, spankydoll said:

I am so happy that Buddy is getting some help. He was looking so I'll and worn out. I am always sad to see Whitney continue to fail at regaining her health and fitness. I keep looking for a success story that doesn't involve surgery and it doesn't sent to exist.   

I'd like to see Whit gain success by entering into a program like Buddy did.  He hinted that he had some things to share with her, but, didn't want to seem preachy.  Let's hope for the best.  Because Whit throws herself into things, I can't help but believe that she could be a real success story.  Of course, fighting morbid obesity is a daily, life long struggle.  However, she chooses to handle the challenge would be good, imo.  Surgery is not really an easy way, imo.  There is still a lot of work to do.  It's just a tool.  That's what I have heard from the professionals we see on tv. 

As we see her season after season, it's just so apparent that she does need help.  I'm not sure what the answer is.  I'm not sure if behind the scenes the family and friends have tried more intense measures than what has aired.  Maybe, their hands are tied.  She has to want it.  And deep inside, she does.  Though, that's not what we are led to believe. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4
On 2/14/2018 at 10:19 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

She has to want it.  And deep inside, she does.  

All evidence to the contrary. Maybe in the beginning, in S1... but she's come out and said, in no uncertain terms, that she "wants to be fat" and she shows no interest in eating healthier, exercising AT ALL (even when a trip to Hawaii is the reward), Hell, just being more active in any form or fashion. I see her having stagnated and just given up. Eat, drink, smoke, and be merry for tomorrow I'll still be fat and unemployed and trying to convince myself and my "fans" that I'm fabulous. 

• Love 9

We have been seeing Whitney swimming, do water exercises, walking with friends, in fact, walking to the point of getting severe chub rub.  So, I think there is evidence of some incentive.  I'm convinced the pizza, ice cream, etc. on air demonstrations are staged, but, if she's not losing weight, then she's definitely not working a healthy eating plan off camera either. 

My feeling is that despite how gregarious a morbidly obese person may be, they are still in pain and still do crave better health and less stress on their body, including Whit.  They struggle, so they may not admit it.  They may feign humor and satisfaction with their status quo, but, I don't think it's genuine.   Sometimes people who suffer from anorexia are ridiculed for being near starvation. People scoff and tell them to eat a burger, but, that's really not a realistic solution. Eating disorders are more complicated than that and in no less need of treatment than other disorders. 

• Love 6
16 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

We have been seeing Whitney swimming, do water exercises, walking with friends, in fact, walking to the point of getting severe chub rub.  So, I think there is evidence of some incentive.  I'm convinced the pizza, ice cream, etc. on air demonstrations are staged, but, if she's not losing weight, then she's definitely not working a healthy eating plan off camera either. 

I don't see evidence of this as an "incentive". I see it as her father basically bribing her to do these things for a trip to Hawaii. I have little hope that she will continue to do them after the run in Hawaii. I think the only reason she's doing them on the show is a) for the show and b) because Glen is making her (by bribing her). Some of the show stuff might be staged in regards to food but if she's actually chewing and swallowing then it's not fake. Her lack of weight loss, indeed her weight GAIN, shows that her poor eating and health habits aren't limited to her filming time. 

Edited by mamadrama
  • Love 14
On 2/16/2018 at 2:04 PM, Maggienolia said:

I see her having stagnated and just given up. Eat, drink, smoke, grope anyone within reach, and be merry for tomorrow I'll still be fat and unemployed and trying to convince myself and my "fans" that I'm fabulous. 

I fixed it for ya by adding the bold type.

2 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Some of the show stuff might be staged in regards to food . . .

Her lack of weight loss, indeed her weight GAIN, shows that her poor rating and health habits aren't limited to her filming time. 

Well, you know Twit says in the video @Ketzel provided in the Social Media thread that her greatest struggle relative to food is forcing herself to eat. So the producers are actually doing her a favor by writing ingesting food into the script. Otherwise, the poor dear would probably waste away.

• Love 19
12 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I don't see evidence of this as an "incentive". I see it as her father basically bribing her to do these things for a trip to Hawaii. I have little hope that she will continue to do them after the run in Hawaii. I think the only reason she's doing them on the show is a) for the show and b) because Glen is making her (by bribing her). Some of the show stuff might be staged in regards to food but if she's actually chewing and swallowing then it's not fake. Her lack of weight loss, indeed her weight GAIN, shows that her poor eating and health habits aren't limited to her filming time. 

I think this is the key difference. I don't necessarily think what Glen is trying to do (and has tried to do often in her life) is a bad thing (hence the unpopular opinion thread). The problem is that Glen didn't learn how incentives work. If the goal isn't reached, you don't get the prize. It's like the reverse of punishment. Never threaten a consequence you won't follow on. Glen offered incentives for grades, weight loss, and probably other things throughout her life. That isn't in and of itself a bad thing. But he always provided the prize whether or not she achieved the goal. I mean really, if you walk a 5k I will take you to Hawaii. Well when the 5k is  IN Hawaii there isn't much threat of losing the incentive. I knew most people would also say that a grown adult being "incentivized/bribed" by her parents is completely out of line regardless of how it's done. In general I would agree with that. But as parents I suspect Glen and Babs are terrified about Whitney and her health. They are watching their daughter's downward spiral to death. Right or wrong they are going to grasp at any straw that might help. 

• Love 10

I really wish Whitney could succeed and slim down too.  But the first step to recovery from anything is admitting that you have a problem.  And it doesn't seem to register that she even has a problem.  It's like a guy with 15 DUIs and cirrhosis of the liver that insists he doesn't have a drinking problem.  I mean, she knows she's fat, but she doesn't think that's a problem.  She thinks the problem is other people not accepting her as she is, and PCOS.  I feel like she probably has a desire to be skinny, but it's too faint for her to do the hard work required.  And I fear that won't change until she hits rock bottom.  Right now she is surrounded by enablers, with her real life friends and the TV show.  I'd like to think that the end of the show would help, but really with social media being what it is, she can sustain the adulation that encourages her indefinitely.  I don't know that anything less than her becoming completely immobile will spur her to change.

• Love 12

With her histrionic personality disorder (I don't recall the official name), it strikes me that MBFFL is exactly what she needs.  TLC set her up to be the best she can be.  Just not a viable long-term solution.

• Love 4

Well said, Ketzel. I have been thinking that Whitney says outrageous things to get a response from Babs to indicate that she has gotten under her skin. I think she lives to hear her mother sigh, "Oh Whitney." I don't know how Glenn and Babs raised such an enormous toddler but she still has mannerisms of a little girl who has been doted upon. I just can't figure out why Babs lets Whitney take her shopping for age inappropriate clothing.

• Love 12
4 hours ago, Ketzel said:

I think Whitney and Babs are very, very angry at each other. I think Babs is profoundly mortified to have a morbidly obese daughter who is so generally unpresentable in her grooming and her behavior in addition to her morbid obesity. I think Babs is  irritated by the way Whitney flirts with her father and by the way Glen indulges his enormous baby. I think Babs is also irritated by how generally helpless and useless Whitney is for a grown woman - - can't land a man, can't keep a decent house, can't cook.  To use an old Yiddish expression, Babs is getting no nachus  (secondhand joy and pride) from her daughter's life in traditional ways, so she's settling for the show. But this is nothing at all like the life she would expect for her daughter, who by now should be the spitting image of her lovely mother, with a husband and children and some kind of respectable job that doesn't involve sex jokes on the radio.

I think Whitney blames Babs for giving her an eating disorder by encouraging her to watch her weight, is jealous of her mother's marriage, and is getting a mean satisfaction out of being so "unacceptable" by her mother's standards.

Wow, that is an excellent analysis of the dynamic between those two.

• Love 5

Okay, I'll give what might be an unpopular opinion: I kinda like Babs. I know there are a lot of problems there. I know that she is totally inappropriate in some of her remarks and, in real life, I probably wouldn't be able to be friends with her because I would feel like some of our thoughts and feelings about things just don't mesh. However, I enjoy watching her on TV. Granted, sometimes I sit there shaking my head thinking, "OMG, did she REALLY just say that?" I give her a slight pass for a lot of her crap due to her age and geography. My mom is approximately the same age and also grew up during a time period and in an area that was racist, homophobic, and misogynistic. The differences between her generation and mine are staggering. Mom though, unlike her 13 siblings, has really tried to get with the times. She doesn't understand a lot of what things mean, but she REALLY tries. The stuff that comes out of my mom's mouth sometimes is cringe-worthy and I am constantly having to tell her, "Dude, you really can't say that out loud" (much to her confusion) but inside she's about as nonjudgmental and caring as a person can get. She tries, when there are certainly enough people around here who don't. 

That's not to say that I don't think that Babs isn't responsible for some of the ways that Whit turned out and that Babs doesn't have issues of her own, but there's still something about her that's a little endearing to me. I would much rather spend the day with her than her daughter. 

• Love 10

I sometimes wonder how Whit would come off as a young woman if she was average size.  She has a very demonstrative personality, to say the least, but, I wonder if it would be as strong if she were say, 140 pounds.  We hear from people who knew her back when she was thin, but, it seems like that was quite a while ago.  Some people who lose weight become more animated, but, I wonder if Whit might be less animated, if she were slim.  I marvel at her ideas and enthusiasm.  I can only speculate at how much more she could do for various causes if she were not impeded by her size and its restrictions. Of course, maybe she feels that she wouldn't be a good spokesperson for No Fat Shaming, if she weren't fat......hmmmm.......I hope she's not holding on to that. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1

I sometimes wonder how Whit would come off as a young woman if she was average size.

I think she would be even more toxic than she is as a disabled morbidly obese woman. I think she would be a spoiled mean girl while still being coddled by her parents. Glenn would be bribing her to find employment and she would act even more like a pretty princess. Nothing would change the extreme narcissism that she constantly displays. She would have no reason to stop manipulating those around her because she has never learned adult coping skills. Her problem is not her size it is her personality.

• Love 12
10 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Okay, I'll give what might be an unpopular opinion: I kinda like Babs. I know there are a lot of problems there. I know that she is totally inappropriate in some of her remarks and, in real life, I probably wouldn't be able to be friends with her because I would feel like some of our thoughts and feelings about things just don't mesh. However, I enjoy watching her on TV. Granted, sometimes I sit there shaking my head thinking, "OMG, did she REALLY just say that?" I give her a slight pass for a lot of her crap due to her age and geography. My mom is approximately the same age and also grew up during a time period and in an area that was racist, homophobic, and misogynistic. The differences between her generation and mine are staggering. Mom though, unlike her 13 siblings, has really tried to get with the times. She doesn't understand a lot of what things mean, but she REALLY tries. The stuff that comes out of my mom's mouth sometimes is cringe-worthy and I am constantly having to tell her, "Dude, you really can't say that out loud" (much to her confusion) but inside she's about as nonjudgmental and caring as a person can get. She tries, when there are certainly enough people around here who don't. 

That's not to say that I don't think that Babs isn't responsible for some of the ways that Whit turned out and that Babs doesn't have issues of her own, but there's still something about her that's a little endearing to me. I would much rather spend the day with her than her daughter. 

I don't see the racist, homophobic, misogynistic stuff from Babs. 

After watching her walk the marathon (<8k), I feel so sorry for her.  It must be miserable not only to be in such pain for an event that is just a stroll for many people but also to know that you simply are not capable of doing it.  Seeing her cross the finish line while being propped up by her father and a stranger was upsetting.

I don't know what she does in her daily life, but it is mystifying that she does not play to her strengths and swim as her primary exercise.

• Love 7

After watching her walk the marathon (<8k)

A marathon is 26.2 miles. This was an 8K, which is about five miles.

I don't know what she does in her daily life, but it is mystifying that she does not play to her strengths and swim as her primary exercise.

I don't think she exercises on a daily basis at all - or even a regular basis. I agree that water based exercise would be fantastic for her. 

I felt sorry for her - I genuinely did. But it was tempered with the knowledge that she has made one bad decision after another regarding her overall health and fitness. She tried to go from an almost entirely sedentary life to walking an 8k overnight and then was surprised when she couldn't do it? Please. I felt bad for her the way that I would feel bad for anyone who is obviously suffering but I'd feel worse for someone who was struggling through no fault of his/her own. It is plainly Whitney's fault that the walk was as difficult for her as it was. 

• Love 6