Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

FYI...

7 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Next weekend's comic cons (updated, with schedules)...

Heroes & Villains FanFest-London, May 26-27, 2018 (Olympia London, UK)
Stephen Amell, Emily Bett Rickards, David Ramsey, Juliana Harkavy, Kirk Acevedo, Katie Cassidy, Josh Segarra and John Barrowman (also Caity Lotz, Brandon Routh, Danielle Panabaker, Hartley Sawyer, Mehcad Brooks, Franz Drameh, Robbie Amell, Italia Ricci and Tyler Hoechlin)
http://heroesfanfest.com/london/guests/
Schedule and Events
-Sat., 5/26, at 11:00am - Arrow Heroes (EBR, DR, JH)
-Sat., 5/26, at 1:30pm - JB Unleashed
-Sun., 5/27, at 11:00am - Arrow Villains (KC, JS, KA)
-Sun., 5/27, at 12:15pm -The Green Arrow (SA with special mod Aisha Tyler)
-Sun., 5/27, at 2:45pm - Legends of Tomorrow (CLotz, BRouth, FDrameh)
-Sun., 5/27, at 4:00pm - Supergirl (MBrooks, THoechlin, IRicci)

Tauranga Armageddon, May 26-27, 2018 (NZ)
Paul Blackthorne, Echo Kellum, Katrina Law and David Nykl (also Katie McGrath)
https://www.armageddonexpo.com/Guests/
Main Stage Schedule
-Sat., 5/26, at 12:00pm - Arrow panel (PB, EK, KL, DN)
-Sat., 5/26, at 2:00pm - Merlin/Supergirl panel (KMcGrath)
-Sun., 5/27, at 12:00pm - Arrow/Dresden Files panel (PB)
-Sun., 5/27 at 1:00pm - Women of DC panel with KMcGrath, Lesley-Ann Brandt & Lauren German
-Sun., 5/27, at 2:00pm - Arrow panel (EK, KL, DN)

MegaCon Orlando, May 24-27, 2018 (FL)
(Cress Williams, Nafessa Williams, and China McClain)
http://megaconorlando.com/guests/
Schedule
-Sun., 5/27, at 2:30pm - Celebrity Q&A with the Stars of Black Lightning (CW, NW, CMcL)    

• Love 1
On 5/18/2018 at 2:27 PM, Trini said:

But the show is mostly about the villains and their journeys, though; so I'd expect that.

Gotham does tell the origin stories of a number of villains, but I really wouldn't say the show is mostly about them.  The main protagonists are still Gordan and Bruce but they also tell the story of side characters and sometimes they are good guys and sometimes they are villains and sometimes they start one place and move to another. 

And even if they are full on villains, they are still not treated like plot devices (or at least never only as plot devices)  They get to be more than just one thing.  It's something that I think Arrow does try to do but it's just usually not very well done.  (Probably because they think keeping the audience in the dark is more important than giving us a well-developed character) 

The attention the villains get doesn't IMO detract from the story about the good guys but enriches it and the audience's experience.  I do love Arrow (even after that terrible ending) but I do think that the writers on Gotham are better at telling the character's stories versus Arrow that tries to tell stories with their characters populating it.  Its a subtle difference, but a vital one I think.  I know showrunners talk about understanding the importance of the emotional connection the audience has to the characters but I think they get lazy as the seasons go on and don't put in enough work to service those connections whether it is with the good guys or the bad guys.  And then that later translates to not honoring the characterization or putting in the work needed to shift the characterization so they can tell their plotted stories.  Gotham IMO does the work.                                                                                                                                                                 Again, not a perfect show and their love stories have been pretty weak, but it does so much else really well.  

• Love 1

Do these showrunners talk to each other?  Supergirl just explained why it's a very bad idea for a vigilante to out himself.  And National City doesn't even have an anti-vigilante law.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, JamieLynn832002 said:

That awkward moment when multiple characters on one show explain how the hero of another is a moron. Of course, Oliver actually used to understand all of this too.

What?

Several characters on Supergirl talked about how bad it would be if James' or Kara's secret identities were discovered because it would endanger their loved ones and James could go to prison with criminals he arrested. They never mentioned Oliver but coming after the finale where Oliver voluntarily did all of that it was kind of weird.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Thanks. I can't say I disagree with them. I thought James was a reporter or photographer. He arrests people? 

Since last season, he's been running around as the vigilante Guardian in addition to working at Catco. He probably doesn't actually arrest them so much as turn them over to police.

• Love 2
(edited)

I actually laughed when I read some of these wish castings...

20 MCU Actors Who Could Save The DCEU (And The Characters They Should Play)
BY BRITT POTEET – ON MAY 21, 2018
https://screenrant.com/marvel-mcu-actors-play-dceu-characters/

The MCU found its footing a long time ago and has been running nonstop ever since. The actors who portray the beloved Marvel characters have their superhero roles down and know how to play their characters to their best potential. While the actors in the DC films certainly look the part, the characterization and chemistry isn’t always there. Some of the Marvel actors could help out with that. Here are 20 MCU Actors Who Could Save The DCEU (And The Characters They Should Play).
19 CHRIS HEMSWORTH AS GREEN ARROW
Green Arrow is a main character of the Justice League, so it’s only a matter of time before he is added into the DCEU. Stephen Amell has been portraying the character on the CW show Arrow for a few years now, but it’s likely a different actor will be selected for the big screen.

A lot of fans are pushing for Sons of Anarchy star Charlie Hunnam to play the masked archer. As far as MCU actors go, while Chris Hemsworth is the perfect Thor, he has the look to play Oliver Queen.

If he kept his short hair from Thor: Ragnarok and grew his beard out, he would definitely look the part.

Hemsworth is an expert when it comes to playing a superhero. He has the commanding presence the Green Arrow requires when he’s intimidating villains, but is also able to be funny and add comedic relief on screen. Oliver Queen has a great sense of humor, and although it’s been lost a bit in Arrow, fans would love to see him show a little more wit in the DCEU. It’s been clear in the Thor films that Hemsworth can make people laugh. It would be interesting to see him wield a bow and arrow rather than a hammer.
3 SCARLETT JOHANSSON AS BLACK CANARY
Black Canary has been a big part of the Justice League in the comics for years. She’s been thrust into the spotlight in the Arrowverse, although it's been a bit complicated. The first Black Canary on Arrow was Sara Lance, played by Caity Lotz. Katie Cassidy was the second actress on Arrow to play the hero, although her character Laurel passed. Currently, Dinah Drake is playing Canary on the show. It’s unclear what direction the DCEU will take with the character, but there are rumors she’ll be joining the universe soon.

Actress Katheryn Winnick has been dropping hints she’ll be playing Black Canary on the big screen, but it hasn’t been confirmed. While she’s a bit busy with the MCU, Scarlett Johansson has the potential to be a great Black Canary. She currently play the popular assassin-turned-hero Black Widow in the Avengers franchise.

Canary and Black Widow have really similar costuming, so it’s easy to picture Johansson in the role.

Just dye her hair blonde and she looks the part. She already knows how to fight like a hero and is trained in hand to hand stage combat. Canary is confident and is good at reading people, much like Black Widow. Johansson has experience playing similar heroes and would be perfect for the role.

20 JEFF BRIDGES AS DARKSEID
19 CHRIS HEMSWORTH AS GREEN ARROW
18 MICHAEL B. JORDAN AS AQUALAD
17 KURT RUSSELL AS COMMISSIONER GORDON
16 RACHAEL TAYLOR AS KILLER FROST
15 IDRIS ELBA AS MARTIAN MANHUNTER
14 TOM HOLLAND AS KID FLASH
13 ZOE SALDANA AS CATWOMAN
12 TOM HIDDLESTON AS THE RIDDLER
11 KAREN GILLAN AS POISON IVY
10 LUPITA NYONG'O AS VIXEN
9 COREY STOLL AS MR. FREEZE
8 DON CHEADLE AS LUCIUS FOX
7 EVANGELINE LILY AS BATWOMAN
6 KRYSTEN RITTER AS ZATANNA
5 ELIZABETH OLSEN AS BARBARA GORDON
4 BRADLEY COOPER AS GREEN LANTERN/HAL JORDAN
3 SCARLETT JOHANSSON AS BLACK CANARY
2 SEBASTIAN STAN AS THE RED HOOD
1 ZENDAYA AS STARFIRE

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Last night’s ratings (preliminary)

A5370E4D-0D5E-42DA-B8CA-8233E02029F7.png

Supergirl ……………….……….. 0.457 ... (0.456 ... 0.458)
iZombie ..................................... 0.300 ... (0.299 ... 0.301)

Also a note about preemption last night: 

CW was preempted in New York, where the lineup will air Saturday in primetime

Source:  RJK @ SpottedRatings.com

Edited by Starfish35
3 hours ago, tv echo said:

I actually laughed when I read some of these wish castings...

20 MCU Actors Who Could Save The DCEU (And The Characters They Should Play)
BY BRITT POTEET – ON MAY 21, 2018
https://screenrant.com/marvel-mcu-actors-play-dceu-characters/

13 ZOE SALDANA AS CATWOMAN

I really like the idea of Zoe Saldana as Catwoman. And she's free.

I'd like to see a Lucia Fox for a change.

Chris Hemsworth has great comic timing, but I think even he would draw the line at the Van Dyke.

Though who knows with this verse, Nora could be her middle name. Or Dawn be her middle name lol.

Looks like Ralph is staying put.

"From day one, that was sort of the plan that we came up with," Helbing said. "Ralph's powers are so unique. In the comics, there's a lot of things we haven't done yet with Ralph Dibny. We have a lot of investigative stories to tell; we obviously want to get to Sue Dibny at some point. So it just didn't feel from the beginning that we could tell his story in one episode and we all fell in love with Hartley literally from the moment we met with him and we knew we wanted to have him part of the show moving forward."

http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/05/22/flash-finale-elongated-man-returns/

No their daughter is named Nora.  She made a mistake of some kind and needs help fixing it.  I personally think her mistake was helping Barry destroy the satellite, as it looked like it destroyed him when he went at it solo.  Then she reversed time, helped him, and he survived.  We came SO CLOSE to getting rid of him.  Not that I expect them to get rid of Barry but it was a nice, if short lived, moment in the finale.

• Love 7

Her name is Nora- Tod Helbing said they had to change something about her because they knew everyone would know who she was as soon as she showed up.

By the way, there was ZERO payoff to the whole "we're going to need more diapers" line Barry said in the premiere. Even though at the time it was obviously significant, because they had Cisco repeat it just in case anyone missed it.

I'm 100% convinced they were going to go with Iris being pregnant with twins in the finale until AJK left. I think they must have changed course.

• Love 2
Just now, scarynikki12 said:

No their daughter is named Nora.  She made a mistake of some kind and needs help fixing it.  I personally think her mistake was helping Barry destroy the satellite, as it looked like it destroyed him when he went at it solo.  Then she reversed time, helped him, and he survived.  We came SO CLOSE to getting rid of him.  Not that I expect them to get rid of Barry but it was a nice, if short lived, moment in the finale.

If that was the mistake though then Iris would've had to be pregnant in the present and she isnt. 

While they set up Nora in the premiere episode, I just wish they hadn't stretched it out nearly as long as they did. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

If that was the mistake though then Iris would've had to be pregnant in the present and she isnt

While they set up Nora in the premiere episode, I just wish they hadn't stretched it out nearly as long as they did. 

That she knows of!  Dun dun DUN!

No, I agree that's not actually the mistake from the show POV.  It's just a mistake for me because I hate Barry.  Nora's mistake is probably something she did before traveling back in time and it will be revealed next season.  I doubt her mistake is meant to happen after her time travel, though it should because any child of Barry's will no doubt possess his tendency to make things worse.

I remember reading somewhere speculation that she got stuck in the past somehow and doesnt know how to get back home. I wouldnt be surprised if that was her mistake.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: The Mystery Girl is Nora West-Allen! Why change her name from Dawn as it is in the comics?
TODD HELBING: When we first started talking about it, we decided on her name like a year ago, right around this time, after we’d pitched the season to the studio and network. It was to pay homage to Barry’s mother. It felt like if Barry and Iris were ever gonna have a child that would be female, that would be one of the names we brought up. It seemed like it didn’t matter — the second that we talked to Jessica Parker Kennedy, we knew that people were gonna figure out pretty quickly who she was. So we had to put a little spin to make it a little bit different than what everybody was expecting.

http://ew.com/tv/2018/05/22/flash-mystery-girl-identity-nora-barry-iris-daughter/

It's funny that they had to have some surprise so they figure "name change it will be!" 

• Love 1

So their big surprise was they changed the daughter's name? I think most people guessed it was their daughter, even if they didn't read comics and know they had a daughter named Dawn. That wasn't much of a surprise. 

• Love 4

I haven't seen most of this season - was this the first time she's told anyone what her real name is? It seemed like it was - if so, that seems like a weird thing to change, since you find out she's Barry and Iris's daughter pretty much at the same time.

(edited)

What can you tell us about this huge mistake she’s apparently made?
Well, I mean, a lot of it is obviously all about next season. Barry certainly learned his lesson about time travel and the effects that it can have. She comes back for a specific reason, not only to see her parents and meet everybody on the team, which you saw all throughout the season — there’s four specific times that she came back, and you’re gonna learn about why she chose those four times and how they’re gonna play into not only the mistake that she made, but the consequences for somebody like her, a speedster traveling from the future to the past, and what that means for Barry and the team.

Speaking of those interactions, are there specific reasons why she’s avoided Iris and why she was so cold to Caitlin?
Yeah, she comes from 30 years in the future, so 30 years from now, a lot has happened. She’s privy to information that nobody else is, so her experience in the future is certainly different than where everybody is now. A lot of next season too, you’re gonna see this relationship between Barry and Iris and Nora, so we just wanted to give the audience a little glimmer into what her reaction is to everybody. If you go back and watch all of the ways that she interacted with everybody, you can get a nice little sense of what her relationship is with everybody in the future.

What can you tease of Caitlin’s journey next year? That flashback seemed to indicate that Caitlin’s father already knew about her Killer Frost side, which made me think she may have gone on to accidentally kill her father. Am I jumping to conclusions?
One of the themes for next season is family. When you’re dealing with a show that jumps around, obviously with Barry, Nora, and Iris, it’s gonna be family, with Joe and Cecile and the new baby, there’s family, and then Ralph is part of this new family. And then with Caitlin, she had one understanding of where her powers came, and you’ve met her mother in the past seasons, you got a little glimpse of her father. But there’s gonna be a new dynamic with Caitlin and her family in season 5.

You said there would be a hint at the new villain for season 5 in the finale.
What happens more often than not is, we shoot a lot of stuff in the finale that gets cut. So for time we had to cut it. It was gonna be the tag at the end of the episode. But we’ll get it out; the public will see it before the season starts. Maybe we’ll release it online or at Comic-Con. But yeah, it just it came down to a time thing.

Harry has left, but presumably Tom Cavanagh is sticking around. Anything you can say about the new Wells we’ll meet next season?
I don’t want to tell you yet who he is, but when I was up there in Vancouver shooting for the finale, I talked to Tom for quite a bit about it. We landed on a pretty fun and interesting new Wells to join the team.

Was it always the plan for Ralph to actually still be alive?
Oh, yeah. From the beginning of the season, we wanted DeVoe to hop into other people and then to finally get to Ralph, and really play it like he was dead. That was what we walked partly through at the beginning. So it was always the plan to kill him and then bring him back to join the team at the end, and then to be part of the next season.

If Ralph is alive, any word on the other bus metas?
No, they’re toast, they’re all toast.

http://ew.com/tv/2018/05/22/flash-mystery-girl-identity-nora-barry-iris-daughter/

Maybe this Wells will be a villain.

9 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I haven't seen most of this season - was this the first time she's told anyone what her real name is? It seemed like it was - if so, that seems like a weird thing to change, since you find out she's Barry and Iris's daughter pretty much at the same time.

Yes. Though Barry said that "Nora shouldn't be here" when he was all crazy in the premiere. 

I think they just didn't want fans to go "AHA! I knew it all along, it was Dawn Allen!" that way the writers can go "fooled ya! It isn't Dawn, it's Nora". Petty and stupid. 

Yep that was it

"Everybody guessed right for the most part," executive producer Todd Helbing admitted. "I think I've said this at one point that they haven't totally gotten it yet. It was basically right except for the name. They assumed that it was Dawn."

http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/05/22/flash-mystery-girl-nora-allen-daughter/

Edited by Primal Slayer

Fucking* Ralph sticks around. Maybe they’ll do like Julian and he’ll just be gone next season without a word. Incidentally they should bring back Julian. I still love him. 

*In addition to ‘ducking’ my phone also lists ‘cuckoo’ as an option. 

• Love 2

CW Live + 7 ratings for the week of May 7 (week 33):

• The Flash 1.30, 3.261M
  • Supergirl 0.82, 2.545M
  • Supernatural 0.81, 2.199M
  • The Originals 0.73, 1.608M
  • The 100 0.71, 1.967M
  • Riverdale 0.71, 1.901M
  • Arrow 0.67, 1.911M
  • iZombie 0.50, 1.288M
  • Dynasty ?, 0.841M
  • Life Sentence 0.18, 0.558M

Source: ProgrammingInsider.com

Replying to Primal Slayer's News & Media post:

57 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

It is sad that Katheryn probably wont be able to play the role. Especially since she is 40 and they would most likely want an actress in her 20s/early 30s.

Not disagreeing with you (both about wanting Kathryn and about them wanting a younger actress), but boy you've got to love some old-fashioned Hollywood sexism:

Robert Downey Jr (53)
Mark Ruffalo (50)
Benedict Cumberbatch (41)
Hugh Jackman (49) (Okay no longer plays Wolverine, but was doing so well into his forties)
Michael Fassbender (41)
Ben Affleck (45)
Paul Rudd (49)
Dave Bautista (49)
Chadwick Boseman (40)
Jeremy Renner (47)

There's lots of big names who will be there before their franchises run out of steam too (the Chrises).

• Love 5

Kathryn would make a great BC since she a trained martial artist. Of course in Hollywood they'll cast a young skinny actress and use an easily spotted stunt double. 

The men can be any age while the women have to be in their 20's. 

(edited)

That made me curious so I looked up some of the actresses:

• Amy Adams (43)
  • Cate Blanchett (49)
  • Gal Gadot (33)
  • Karen Gillan (30)
  • Danai Gurira (40)
  • Anne Hathaway (35)
  • Evangeline Lilly (38)
  • Scarlett Johansson (33)
  • Lupita Nyong’o (35)
  • Elizabeth Olsen (29)
  • Gwyneth Paltrow (45)
  • Margot Robbie (27)
  • Zoe Saldaña (39)
  • Tessa Thompson (34)
  • Letitia Wright (24)

Who’ve I missed? I know I’m missing some.

This is current ages.  Gwyneth Paltrow would have been 35 when she first appeared as Pepper.  Anne Hathaway would have been 29 when she was in TDKR.  Amy Adams would have been 38 in MoS. And so forth.

Edited by Starfish35

I was thinking more of actual active superheroes (so I personally wouldn't count Adams or Paltrow in the same way I didn't add Anthony Hopkins) but YMMV.

If anything the ageism for the guys is that they have to be 30+ - the only younger actors I can think of are Tom Holland (21! I feel so old) and Ezra Miller (25).

What I'm getting from both the lists is that age wouldn't be the factor that disqualifies Katheryn Winnick and KC. It's their lack of movie experience and Hollywood C-list (at best) status that takes them out of the running.

22 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

I don't mind Ralph. He's better than our garbage N00bs. 

Oh I wasn't bashing Ralph....this time.  I just think Barry showed about 100% more passion towards Ralph than he ever has Iris. LOL

• Love 3
1 hour ago, strikera0 said:

I've never seen her in anything, but what about Alicia Vikander for Black Canary? She's 31, a former Oscar-nominee and did Tomb Raider recently. 

I can see it. Her or Katheryn would be fine choices