Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

Apparently The Flash is off today, probably indicating more crossover stuff on the other shows? I thought they were close to wrapping it up. I heard The Flash was actually done filming its own crossover episode and had moved on to episode 9.

I wonder if Supergirl's done, because the wedding scene does probably need all of the cast in it.

4 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

Apparently The Flash is off today, probably indicating more crossover stuff on the other shows? I thought they were close to wrapping it up. I heard The Flash was actually done filming its own crossover episode and had moved on to episode 9.

I wonder if Supergirl's done, because the wedding scene does probably need all of the cast in it.

They were filming for SG yesterday. 

I found parts of this interview confusing - I don't know if the writer made mistakes in reporting what the cinematographer said or if the cinematographer was just not very articulate in expressing what he wanted to say...

'Arrow’ Cinematographer: Crossover Will Be “Very Challenging”
By Eric Francisco on October 13, 2017
https://www.inverse.com/article/37376-arrow-season-6-cinematography-crossover

Bruce Worrall says he is a cog in the machine. It isn’t as bleak as it sounds. As one of the new cinematographers for the long-running series Arrow, which returned Thursday night on the CW, Worrall says he’s come aboard a well-oiled machine that creates 20-plus episodes every year. It’s his job just to find his place among the orderly chaos.
Things got especially interesting for Worrall when it was his job to shoot the Arrow episode to the epic four-show crossover, “Crisis on Earth-X.” Although Worrall wasn’t allowed to disclose what’s in the episode, he described it as a significant “challenge” that posed all sorts of difficulties.

“I’m talking to the next director who’s doing that,” Worrall says about the crossover. “I think it’s going to be very challenging. How can you keep each superhero in their grounded world but have them work together? I can’t honestly answer that but I think it will be a challenge.”
Another challenge for Worrall has been adapting to the literal darkness of Arrow. Dimly lit parking lots, alleyways, abandoned warehouses, these are just a few of the settings Arrow takes place in and will again in the sixth season. Worrall has experience with mature-oriented shows like Strange Empire and Human Target in Canada, but the cinematographer still found Arrow a learning process.

“For me, dark doesn’t mean I can’t see anything. Darkness is a function of contrast within the shot or frame,” he says, echoing the same principles comic book artists often adhere to. “You can still see what you need to see clearly, but perhaps something else is dark. It has that feeling of darkness but you can see the characters and the action. I get frustrated when things are so dark you can’t see anything. But here you see exactly what you need to see. That’s what I strive for. See what you need to and have the impression of darkness as a mood.”
Worrall is honest about the source material he looks at when shooting films and TV: He never has any. “I personally don’t like working that way,” he says, “I don’t like setting myself up for this is what we should do.” Particularly with Arrow, Worrall says he spends more time looking at comics for “angles that make sense or shots that make sense in a comic book superhero realm.” But don’t get excited thinking Worrall refers to the architects of Green Arrow like Dan Jurgens or Scott McDaniel, or even current artists Juan Ferreyra and Otto Schmidt. “There’s no DC Comic book that I’ve pull of the shelf that I looked at that has [my] style,” he says. It’s the comic book-ness of the thing, the mature comics he says his daughter reads that he uses for referencing.

Edited by tv echo
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

“I’m talking to the next director who’s doing that,” Worrall says about the crossover. “I think it’s going to be very challenging. How can you keep each superhero in their grounded world but have them work together? I can’t honestly answer that but I think it will be a challenge.”

Well, golly gee, why don't you watch how all those superheroes worked together in the past three years? And change what you think didn't work, or try to improve what you think needs improving? Dipshit.

15 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Well, golly gee, why don't you watch how all those superheroes worked together in the past three years? And change what you think didn't work, or try to improve what you think needs improving? Dipshit.

Pretty sure he just meant in a philosophical sense since it says it's his first year on Arrow and his first time filming a crossover episode and offhand telling someone they have to film their show but also inherently not their show could be intimidating to anyone.

Edited by way2interested
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Velocity23 said:

Aisha Tyler giving out some spoiler pics for the crossover

9tJCPF-P.jpg

I'm loving the visual. Supergirl episode on the Star Labs set with Olicity Front and Center. 

• Love 6

Includes interview with MG where he talked about ArrowLoT and the big crossover event...

EW's Superhero Insider returns with new premiere episodes
Oct. 13, 2017   Kyle Anderson and Natalie Abrams

-- Kyle and Natalie talked about the season premiere of Arrow and raved about SA's performance in 601: "You can see the push-pull in his eyes" where you can tell that he really wants to ask someone else to help him with William, but he knows that he has to deal with William by himself first.

-- Kyle asked if they had different iterations of who survived the Arrow cliffhanger explosion. MG replied that, because they've killed off so many people in past seasons, they decided not to kill off a series regular in S5 (for a change) and that the plan was always to kill off only Billy and Samantha. Instead, they decided to deal with different ramifications from the explosion other than life and death, like "comatose Thea and severely injured Diggle... the two non-death takeaways" from the cliffhanger, according to MG.

-- As for the Oliver/GA pic reveal at the end of Arrow 601, MG said that we've never seen Oliver caught so red-handed before and that we'll see in 602 how that's handled. MG: "Next week's episode will show you, I think, how he's handling it differently and how we're, as writers, handling it differently."

-- They then talked about the amazing stunts in Arrow 601 (Oliver diving off the bridge, Wild Dog falling onto the car). MG bemoaned the fact that Arrow's stunt team has never been nominated for an Emmy. He didn't know if it was due to "anti-CW bias or anti-Canadian production team bias," but suspected that it was the latter.

-- MG mentioned that James Bamford is the "directing producer this year" for Arrow and that "he'll be directing four different episodes for us... and he'll also have a hand in all the episodes that he's not directing."

-- They then talked about the season premiere of LoT. MG compared the difference between the Time Bureau and the Legends to the difference between the Beverly Hills police force and Axel Foley in Beverly Hills Cop.

-- MG said that what they're doing with Amaya and her amulet is "very deliberate" and will "play into the season-long mythology for the year." Also, MG: "The sort of consequences of the end of 301 are going to be dealt with directly by Amaya and company in 302. And it won't just resolve itself in 302. Like as I said before, this is going to be an issue going forward for the remainder of the year... We begin 302 actually with a flashback to that six-month period, um, you know, after the Legends had retired, um, and you'll see what prompted Amaya to go back to 1942."

-- On the big 4-way crossover, MG: "It truly is a movie event. Um, this year, because of the way it's being aired, as sort of two two-hour blocks, we very intentionally abandoned the conceit of previous crossovers... This year, we're like - we're being sort of show-agnostic. We just broke one big four-part, four-hour story. Um, and we did it without any regard to which show things had to happen in, because, for us, you know, as far as we're concerned, when this airs, yes, on your DirecTV grid, it will say, you know, hour 1 is Supergirl, hour 2 is Arrow, hour 3 is Flash, hour 4 is Legends, [but] none of these hours will actually have, like, the Legends title card. They will all have the 'Crisis' - a special new 'Crisis on Earth-X' title card.  Um, as far as we're concerned, it's basically the 'Crisis on Earth-X' event. Um, it's not, you know, an individual episode of Arrow, it's not an individual episode of Flash, it's one big four-hour monster."

-- They then talked about MG's work on Trollhunters. MG is really excited about the upcoming second season and their new guest cast (Lena Headey, Mark Hamill).

-- MG left. So Kyle and Natalie then talked about the season premieres of Flash and Supergirl.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Spoiler Room: Scoop on Scandal, Blindspot, Supergirl, and more
NATALIE ABRAMS OCTOBER 12, 2017 
http://ew.com/tv/2017/10/12/spoiler-room-scandal-blindspot-supergirl/

How will James and Lena handle working together on Supergirl? — Micah
They’ll certainly be butting heads over leadership style (more on that soon!), but we’ll also finally get to see how James feels about Lena as a Luthor. “That’s complicated,” Mehcad Brooks tells me. “Being who James is, he tries to give everybody a second chance or fresh start. However, there’s always this skepticism in the back of his head. She’s a Luthor. Is she purposely doing this or that? James is probably the most skeptical of all out of everyone. The rest of them don’t know Lex, at least not the way I do.”
When are we going to see Zari on Legends of Tomorrow? — Daniel
You won’t have to wait much longer as she’ll be introduced in episode 3. But not all of the Legends will be on board with her joining the team, chief among them: Zari herself. “She’s not an obvious choice to join the Legends, and to be part of a team,” Tala Ashe tells me. “In the early episodes, you’re going to see that she’s fighting the narrative of being a superhero, but also being part of a team and trusting people because I think that’s something that has burned her in the past. Because of her upbringing, it’s not something that she easily adheres to. She is brilliant in that sense and says what’s on her mind, and it’s a different tone to bring to the group of Legends. She shakes them up and challenges their mission.”

• Love 1

The one time someone from the cast should've died and they flake on it. Never change MG. And I don' think the show deserves an Emmy for their stunt work since like S2. Their fights are fairly generic nowadays I feel like since they always do these big group fights instead of giving the time to the smaller fights that are really wow worthy from the stunt side and actor side.

• Love 4

Seeing O/F centered in that pic because it's the Arrow episode makes me think that despite the intention to have it be a four hour movie or whatever, I still bet that each show's characters will be focused on a LITTLE bit more in the episode of their own show. They'll probably just come to the forefront more.

27 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

Seeing O/F centered in that pic because it's the Arrow episode makes me think that despite the intention to have it be a four hour movie or whatever, I still bet that each show's characters will be focused on a LITTLE bit more in the episode of their own show. They'll probably just come to the forefront more.

I wonder if that's just because of the identity of the person they're looking at. If it's Tommy, it kinda makes sense for Oliver to be front and center, there, with Felicity providing emotional support, I guess? Not sure how familiar Sara is with Tommy but she's there, too.

10 hours ago, tv echo said:

MG mentioned that James Bamford is the "directing producer this year" for Arrow and that "he'll be directing four different episodes for us... and he'll also have a hand in all the episodes that he's not directing."

Ugh. Does anyone else find this infuriating? I know I would if I was a practiced director coming in to shoot, and a guy who had only directed a handful of eps tried to influence my decisions. Seriously, I guess it's all about who you know. 

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, popgoesculture said:

Ugh. Does anyone else find this infuriating? I know I would if I was a practiced director coming in to shoot, and a guy who had only directed a handful of eps tried to influence my decisions. Seriously, I guess it's all about who you know. 

Another example of mediocre people failing up. 

• Love 12

Wow.  They use Black Siren for the Arrow portion instead of, you know, Green Arrow? *facepalm*

It's obvious that the CW played a big part in KC's return, Most likely, they were hoping to get some of the lost viewers back by adding her back to the main cast, but I could have told them beforehand that that wasn't going to work. 

Edited by strikera0
  • Love 2
Just now, Primal Slayer said:

Same way they use Caitlin for the Flash portion? They didn't really seem to want to focus on males in the video.

They used Caitlin and Cisco and "The Flash is back!"  Not quite the same thing.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Blink and you miss Barry who is the main character. It's more about the surprise of Caitlin imo.

I disagree.  IMO it's more about using the line "the Flash is back" followed by the line "Expecting someone else?" Whereas there's no good reason to use BS instead of GA except that for some reason they wanted to.

Edited by Starfish35

The CW used the beginning of that scene - with Alex setting off the first explosive up until BS’ entrance - in the tweet with a link to watch the premiere Friday. Today, they posted a clip from the bridge scene.

I think for some reason, they really love that SCPD scene even though it’s just ... not good? 

1 minute ago, Starfish35 said:

I disagree.  That's part of it, but it's more about using the line "the Flash is back" followed by Caitlin's line.  Whereas there's no good reason to use BS instead of GA except that for some reason they wanted to.

I think they wanted to focus on primarily females. Yeah they didn't have to do it by using BS but I don't think they would've used GA regardless. Legends is a legit ensemble and you git a brief glimpse of Firestorm but primary focus on Sara.

Just now, Primal Slayer said:

I think they wanted to focus on primarily females. Yeah they didn't have to do it by using BS but I don't think they would've used GA regardless. Legends is a legit ensemble and you git a brief glimpse of Firestorm but primary focus on Sara.

Legends is an ensemble but Sara is clearly the lead now.  That's still not the same thing.  Besides, they could have used Dinah if they were just wanting to focus on the ladies.  But for whatever reason they only wanted BS.  

But I'll agree to disagree. 

For me, the problem is also the promotion over the summer.

For The Flash, they still promoted Barry even though they could have easily pretended he was going to be stuck in the speed force.

For Arrow, most of the promotion was BS and BC, sometimes it seemed more than Oliver. And now the primary promotion for the episode after it’s aired is still BS? (And you know if they had used Felicity like that, sites like reddit would be going “Felicity and Friends” but it’s okay because it’s BS/BC?)

As for Legends, Sara’s the lead/captain of the team. It makes sense to promote the show with one of her scenes. 

• Love 14
12 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

For Arrow, most of the promotion was BS and BC, sometimes it seemed more than Oliver. And now the primary promotion for the episode after it’s aired is still BS? (And you know if they had used Felicity like that, sites like reddit would be going “Felicity and Friends” but it’s okay because it’s BS/BC?)

Yeah lets see how much crediability these stans have about the show being taken over by people not named Oliver. If I don't see any cries of 'Black Siren and buddies' or 'Dinah and dudes' then we will know there complaints are bull ? and just straight up jealousy.

(I mean not that we didn't know that already). 

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

Yeah lets see how much crediability these stans have about the show being taken over by people not named Oliver. If I don't see any cries of 'Black Siren and buddies' or 'Dinah and dudes' then we will know there complaints are bull ? and just straight up jealousy.

Well we know that Black Siren wont be having heaps of screen time so Black Siren and buddies wont be able to work out. 

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

It's actually Black Canary and Buddies. I decided on this last week. ???

• Love 7

I just watched the first episode of Lucifer. I really enjoyed it although I wonder does Lucifer sarcasm and schtick get old down the line? Or do they give him more dimension as a character?

I do love the hints of him and Chloe too. I can see myself shipping it. 

Edited by LeighAn
  • Love 1

I found it getting old in season 1 but then they make the supporting characters around him stronger, like Amendiel, Maize and Linda, all of whom I find awesome, so it gets better because they balance him as a character.

I think Lauren German is the weak link on the show and Chloe got unpleasant being anti-Lucifer so I was glad when they pulled back on the Lucifer/Chloe romance. They didn't end it, just pulled back and gave Lucifer wider interests.

• Love 2