Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Green Arrow and Black Lightning look pretty cool. SG and Flash look like they're holding on to a fart or something. Interesting choice for LOT picking the Waverider, I don't know that it's iconic enough to represent a show 

That Waverider would be to anyone watching the show and maybe it would peak the curiosity of others that see the bags.  

4 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

Even Flash and Arrow seem to have different time jumps. With Flash having a 6 month time jump and Arrow a 5 month time jump. 

I suspect they have the same time jump but people are iffy on how long that really is.  I've found where WendyM and MG have called it a four-month jump.  

• Love 2
Just now, BkWurm1 said:

That Waverider would be to anyone watching the show and maybe it would peak the curiosity of others that see the bags.  

I suspect they have the same time jump but people are iffy on how long that really is.  I've found where WendyM and MG have called it a four-month jump.  

AK says Flash is 6 months. 

(edited)
6 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

AK says Flash is 6 months. 

Sure but I suspect their six months and our five months will bring both shows up to the same week in the Flarrowverse.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 minute ago, BkWurm1 said:

Sure but I suspect their six months and our five months will bring both shows up to the same week in the Flarrowverse.  

They have had different time jumps before. So it all could be true as they are saying in their TV Guide interviews

Edited by Velocity23

I'm sure at some point in the beginning of the season, there will be a mini-time jump between episodes that they may not even mention on-screen, but if questioned at crossover time, one of the EPs will go, "Don't you know, there was a month between X and Y." 

(edited)
5 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

So this is potentially interesting. Ausiello just put out a new Blind Item, and unlike his usual MO, this time he limited the possibilities to nine shows, one of which is Supergirl.

The nine shows are:

1. The Exorcist
  2. The Blacklist
  3. Supergirl
  4. Blindspot
  5. Scorpion
  6. Designated Survivor
  7. NCIS
  8. Scandal
  9. Elementary

Honestly, my guess is that it's probably not Supergirl, but since it was included on the list, it does open up the door for some speculation.

I don't see it being Supergirl either or Elementary.  Murder mystery stuff doesn't really seem in Supergirl's bailiwick and Elementary just strikes me as too quality to pull a stunt like that.  My guess would be that it's NCIS.  One of their regulars is supposed to be leaving and I could easily see NCIS doing something like that to "freshen things up."

Edited by johntfs

It could be James on Supergirl because they really seem to have no idea what to do with him.

It's most likely not NCIS because the only original cast members ,eft are Gibbs, Ducky and Abby and I can't see any of them being written off unless David McCallum is sick. He was scathing when Pable de Cote left he show.

(edited)

It does not seem to fit Supergirl's style, tone or format at all. That would be a weird way to start the season. 

One commenter is saying that it can't be Supergirl because Supergirl already started filming and the BI seems to imply that the storyline hasn't been approved yet.  

However, another commenter is claiming that there was a pap picture of Cat and other Supergirl characters around a coffin, that didn't end up showing up in last season's finale.  Has anyone heard anything about such a pic? 

I recall there was a pic floating around that looked like Supergirl filming a funeral scene but apparently it was from Powerless. That's probably explains it unless there was another, different funeral pic floating around. As that commenter said, if its true TPTB hasn't approved it yet and its happening in the premiere than it does make it unlikely to be a show already filming its premiere. 

Edited by Oreo2234
(edited)

My scans of spoilers pages from LoT and Flash articles in TV Guide's SDCC 2017 cover issue (Arrow's spoilers are posted in New Spoilers thread) - please feel free to share these scans with the other forums if you wish...
TVGuideComicCon17_LoT_1.jpg

TVGuideComicCon17_Flash_1.jpg

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

And from the Gotham article in TV Guide's SDCC cover issue (lol - maybe Oliver and Bruce can start a club!)...

-- Gotham EP John Stephens: "Ra's returns right at the top of the season, and we see what his designs are for Bruce... It all circles around the core idea that Ra's views Bruce as his heir."

ETA: I've posted all of the Gotham spoilers in the Gotham forum.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

Black Lightning only has a 1-page article (plus a full-page pic of Cress Williams as BL) in TV Guide's SDCC 2017 cover issue, but it didn't really spoil anything and didn't cover anything new that hadn't been covered in previously posted interviews with Williams and EP Salim Akil.

Supergirl has a 6-page spread, but I ran out of steam and, quite frankly, had insufficient interest to scan those pages. I'm sure those spoilers will be sufficiently covered by someone in the Supergirl forum.

There's also a half-page article on the new SyFy show, Krypton, in which EP David S. Goyer says that the show is about Superman's 20-something grandfather, Seg-El, and that Seg-El's star-crossed romance with military cadet, Lyta Zod (General Zod's grandmother), is like "a Romeo and Juliet story." Seg-El is a "revolutionary character" who pushes back against the "oppressive Kryptonian culture." There's also a pic of three of the actors, including the ones playing Seg-El and Lyta Zod, which could easily be mistaken for a pic from The 100.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Let's see how long The Flash can hold to that promise of being unabashed fun and excitement again. They'd be much better off if they did, that's why people liked Season 1. Hopefully they stick to that.

4 hours ago, tv echo said:

There's also a half-page article on the new SyFy show, Krypton, in which EP David S. Goyer says that the show is about Superman's 20-something grandfather, Seg-El, and that Seg-El's star-crossed romance with military cadet, Lyta Zod (General Zod's grandmother), is like "a Romeo and Juliet story." Seg-El is a "revolutionary character" who pushes back against the "oppressive Kryptonian culture." There's also a pic of three of the actors, including the ones playing Seg-El and Lyta Zod, which could easily be mistaken for a pic from The 100.

Not loving the unhappily every after vibe already built in.  I'd thought that putting it back a couple generations it might be less grim but this sounds like a huge angst and drama fest.  I was playing on watching but maybe I'll wait for some reviews first.  

I'm planning on watching it because Damian Kindler (Stargate SG1, Sanctuary) is one of the writers and EPs.  I'll see how the pilot movie turns out before I decide whether to opt for the show.

• Love 2
(edited)

More animated mini crossovers! TV Guide's SDCC 2017 cover issue also included an article on Freedom Fighters: The Ray, which is a new animated series launching this fall on The CW Seed that, like Vixen, takes place in the Arrowverse (just in animated form)...

1. This will be the first time a gay metahuman headlines his own show. EP Marc Guggenheim promises a show filled with "a classic story about a normal guy who gets superpowers, with all of the complications and wish fulfillment that entails." The Ray will have a love interest too, but, "in true superhero fashion, his obligations are a complication for his love life." TV Guide: "The course of true comic book love never did run smooth."

2. MG: "It's called Freedom Fighters: The Ray for a very specific reason... which is we knew we wanted to establish the Freedom Fighters and Earth-X. In Multiversity, Grant Morrison came up with an idea we really responded to: The Freedom Fighters are made up of various minorities targeted by Nazis - women, gay men, Jews. We wanted to honor that idea. At the same time, it's an origin story about the Earth-1 iteration of The Ray."

3. The Ray will be fighting Nazis as well as doppelgängers of our beloved superheroes. Supergirl's Melissa Benoist will be guest-voicing as Overgirl, the Earth-X version of the Girl of Steel. Other supervillains will include evil Nazi counterparts of The Flash and Green Arrow.

4. More light-hearted guest appearances will include The Flash's Cisco, Arrow's Mr. Terrific and fellow CW Seed star Vixen.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

Some cast and spoilers(!) on Marvel's Avengers: Infinity War at Disney's D23 Expo on Saturday, July 15 (I confess, I got a little teary - this movie has been 10 years in the making)...

AVENGERS INFINITY WAR Cast Assemble At D23 Expo
Published on Jul 15, 2017, by Flicks And The City

Still pic of cast assembled on stage:

636357544443913931-GTY-815139620-9240217
Sebastian Stan (from left), Dave Bautista, Karen Gillan, Pom Klementieff, Benedict Cumberbatch, Chadwick Boseman, Josh Brolin, Chris Hemsworth, producer Kevin Feige, Robert Downey Jr., Mark Ruffalo, Tom Holland, Elizabeth Olsen, Paul Bettany, Don Cheadle and Anthony Mackie of 'Avengers: Infinity War' at D23 Expo on Saturday. (Photo: Jesse Grant, Getty Images for Disney)

'Avengers: Infinity War' first look explodes as superheroes assemble at D23 Expo
Bryan Alexander July 15, 2017
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2017/07/15/avengers-infinity-war-first-look-superheroes-assemble-d-23-expo/482185001/

But even with its bounty of superpower, flown in specially from the Avengers set, where filming is still in progress, Marvel's biggest weapon was its explosive first-look footage for the superhero epic hitting screens May 4, 2018.
The footage starts to explain the unusual coming together of the various Marvel superhero worlds: It begins aboard The Milano, the spaceship utilized by Star-Lord (Chris Pratt) and his crew in Guardians of the Galaxy.

As they approach a tough planet ("Let's put our mean faces on," Star-Lord says), a body flies into the spaceship window.

As it's pulled into the spaceship, it turns out to be Hemsworth's Thor, who looks confused at the strange crew — including Rocket Raccoon (Bradley Cooper), Gamora (Zoe Saldana) and Drax the Destroyer (Dave Bautista) — and says, "Who the hell are you guys?"

Something is very wrong in the universe to bring all these forces together, as signified by an earthbound school bus with Peter Parker (Tom Holland). The hairs on his arm stand on end as he turns to see a spaceship coming in.
All heck breaks lose as the fighting begins and Thanos makes his uber-villain presence known. Initial victims include a new suited Spider-Man, who appears to be gravely injured in another scene. He tells Iron Man Tony Stark, "I'm sorry, Tony."

Josh Brolin Reveals the 'Children of Thanos' for Avengers: Infinity War at D23 2017
Published on Jul 15, 2017, by GeekTyrant

AVENGERS INFINITY WAR Footage Cast REACTIONS - Josh Brolin, Tom Holland, Benedict Cumberbatch
Published on Jul 16, 2017, by Flicks And The City

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

This video includes some behind-the-scenes footage and set-up for the movie...

Avengers: Infinity War Cast Trailer Teaser (2018) Marvel Superhero Movie HD
Published on Jul 15, 2017, by Furious Trailer

On 15/07/2017 at 10:51 AM, Oreo2234 said:

It does not seem to fit Supergirl's style, tone or format at all. That would be a weird way to start the season. 

I recall there was a pic floating around that looked like Supergirl filming a funeral scene but apparently it was from Powerless. That's probably explains it unless there was another, different funeral pic floating around. As that commenter said, if its true TPTB hasn't approved it yet and its happening in the premiere than it does make it unlikely to be a show already filming its premiere. 

Yeah it doesn't feel like it could be Supergirl. Can't see any of them dying. Plus would they dare kill Cat off, and Calista hasn't been spotted filming anything yet. James isn't that beloved. I just can't see anyone dying on SG to open a season. Kara is already mourning Mon-El being gone, would they really have her suffer more with the death of Winn or James or Cat.

(edited)

Supergirl spoilers from TV Guide's SDCC 2017 cover issue...

1. James Olsen will have a new trajectory next season. Andrew Kreisberg: "Where [Mehcad's character] landed at the end of the year, with him trying to figure out what it means to be a hero, is something we're taking into next season."

2. Will we see Zod again? AK: "It was more a fun cameo - we have no plans to bring him on... We see our version of Superman as one who has already gone through everything that exists in the mythology. He's already fought Zod, Brainiac, Doomsday. Also, what is the new thing we could bring to it? Between Terence Stamp and Michael Shannon, I'm not sure what meat is left on that bone."

3. AK assured TV Guide that Chris Wood's Mon-El will be back in Season 3, but was mum on his current location. AK: "Where he went and how he returns is one of the central mysteries at the start of the season... The more astute comic book fans may have a semi-good guess as to where he went."

4. AK confirmed that Cat Grant has known Kara's secret identity all along. When Cat and Kara had their "hero's journey" heart-to-heart talk in the finale, AK: "Ostensibly, she's talking to Kara, but she's really talking to Supergirl."

5. AK revealed that the reason they wrecked the pink tiger statue (the CatCo mascot) was because production designer Tyler Harron "had a different piece in mind, and he suggested it get smashed in the fight [between Superman and a Daxamite] so [we'd have a reason] to get a new one!"

6. Although James Olsen said "people see this big guy in a scary mask... like Clark's friend", AK said that it was just a "fun Easter egg" and that we shouldn't expect to see Batman show up on Supergirl. AK: "Batman is being done aplenty with Gotham and the movies."

7. Also don't expect Lex Luthor to show up any time soon. AK: "I'm not sitting around wishing we could have another Luthor on the show. We have the best one."  In fact, Katie McGrath will be a series regular next season. AK: "We have great things in store for her."

8. On #Sanvers, AK: "We have an amazing, beautiful, modern, smart story for Alex and Maggie."

9. The new Big Bad will be Reign, played by Odette Annable. AK called their take on the character "something we've never done in terms of our big bad before." He also promised a less-sexualized, more-heartfelt version than in the comics, saying: "It's going to be really special, really emotional and really exciting."

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Looking at the cast photo of Infinity War, it strikes me how much even in 2017 it's mostly about the white men.

56 minutes ago, tv echo said:

4. AK confirmed that Cat Grant has known Kara's secret identity all along. When Cat and Kara had their "hero's journey" heart-to-heart talk in the finale, AK: "Ostensibly, she's talking to Kara, but she's really talking to Supergirl."

It's AK so I shouldn't be surprised but the idea that Cat knew that Kara was Supergirl and was guiding her along all season is much less interesting to me than the idea that Cat liked and mentored Kara for her own sake.  (But since Kara settled for a blog and Mon El last season, maybe Cat was right that Kara, as opposed to Supergirl, wasn't worth it.)

James isn't that beloved.

I watched for James, Winn, J'onn and Alex-away-from-Maggie in s2. *  If they were to kill off James or Winn, what I don't like would outweigh what I still like about the show too much.

* I'm not against the Alex/Maggie relationship but it was so badly written in s2 that it weighed Alex down too much.

Edited by statsgirl

Oooh boy I am so NOT needing assurance that Mon-el the show eater is coming back. I want more Danvers Sister scenes, also more Kara/Winn friendship scenes, Supercorp friendship scenes(since they won't be romantic), Kara/James friendship scenes and more  Kara/Alex/J'onn before ever wanting more Karamel scenes. Where they regress Kara to a Teenager 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

1. James Olsen will have a new trajectory next season. Andrew Kreisberg: "Where [Mehcad's character] landed at the end of the year, with him trying to figure out what it means to be a hero, is something we're taking into next season."

Uh huh. Yeah, sure; whatever. If you say so, K. ?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

Supergirl spoilers from TV Guide's SDCC 2017 cover issue...

2. Will we see Zod again? AK: "It was more a fun cameo - we have no plans to bring him on... We see our version of Superman as one who has already gone through everything that exists in the mythology. He's already fought Zod, Brainiac, Doomsday. Also, what is the new thing we could bring to it? Between Terence Stamp and Michael Shannon, I'm not sure what meat is left on that bone."

3. AK assured TV Guide that Chris Wood's Mon-El will be back in Season 3, but was mum on his current location. AK: "Where he went and how he returns is one of the central mysteries at the start of the season... The more astute comic book fans may have a semi-good guess as to where he went."

5. AK revealed that the reason they wrecked the pink tiger statue (the CatCo mascot) was because production designer Tyler Harron "had a different piece in mind, and he suggested it get smashed in the fight [between Superman and a Daxamite] so [we'd have a reason] to get a new one!"

6. Although James Olsen said "people see this big guy in a scary mask... like Clark's friend", AK said that it was just a "fun Easter egg" and that we shouldn't expect to see Batman show up on Supergirl. AK: "Batman is being done aplenty with Gotham and the movies."

7. Also don't expect Lex Luthor to show up any time soon. AK: "I'm not sitting around wishing we could have another Luthor on the show. We have the best one."  In fact, Katie McGrath will be a series regular next season. AK: "We have great things in store for her."

8. On #Sanvers, AK: "We have an amazing, beautiful, modern, smart story for Alex and Maggie."

9. The new Big Bad will be Reign, played by Odette Annable. AK called their take on the character "something we've never done in terms of our big bad before." He also promised a less-sexualized, more-heartfelt version than in the comics, saying: "It's going to be really special, really emotional and really exciting."

LOL so basically the only person he didn't talk about is Kara... YIKES

(edited)

James reminds me of LL because he's mostly just there now. Throwing him in a suit didn't solve any of the issues, in fact it gave him even less to do. 

Of course it's not worse then making Supergirl less important in her own show. She constantly has to be depowered so the men can rescue/help her. She's the most powerful being on most Earth's she doesn't need people to rescue her. They never treated their male heroes that way.

Sorry for my rant about Supergirl I just slogged through the final few episodes that I had on my DVR.

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 3

I know exactly what you mean about slogging through them.

Giving James a suit didn't help any because they still don't know what to do with him, like Laurel. But unlike Laurel, it's the EPs who don't seem to want to get rid of him.  I have no idea why he is still on because they so much prefer their shiny new toys.  Maybe because they still want to keep a connection to Catco for some reason.

8 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Of course it's not worse then making Supergirl less important in her own show. She constantly has to be depowered so the men can rescue/help her. She's the most powerful being on most Earth's she doesn't need people to rescue her. They never treated their male heroes that way.

That's why I didn't like Superman being on at the start of the season, and why the whole  Mon El thing depowers her so much.  First she had to babysit him to help him grow up, and now he's taking the lead on saving the world.

Supergirl told James that he couldn't be a vigilante because he would get hurt, that only aliens like Superman, J'onn and Mon El could do the job.  But that's precisely why she seems so depowered this season, because other, more powerful aliens are doing the job.  And they're all male.  If they had stuck with just J'onn helping her like they did last season and everyone else being human, she might still be that powerful being she was in s1.

(edited)

I thought that this year's TV Guide SDCC special issue was a good one. In addition to the shows mentioned above, the issue also features articles on Riverdale, Supernatural, Westworld, The 100, Lucifer, Blindspot, The Big Bang Theory, People of Earth, iZombie, and The Originals, plus some coming attractions. There's also a special insert of a Riverdale comics. Anyway, I recommend getting a copy if they're available in your area.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, leopardprint said:

I am so torn about Black Lighting. I don't want to watch anymore of the Berlantiverse but I love Cress Williams from Hart of Dixie and I think it's an interesting concept. 

Thank you, thank you, thank you, @tv echo, for posting the scans. 

I think about Cress as Vince Howard's (Michael B Jordan's) crappy father in Friday Night Lights. Had no idea he was in Heart of Dixie, which tells me Cress has a lot of range, which makes me more eager to watch him do something with Black Lighting.

ETA * Black Lightning not Black Lighting although that would be kind of cool if it was filmed with Black Lights. 

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 2
(edited)
5 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I think about Cress as Vince Howard's (Michael B Jordan's) crappy father in Friday Night Lights. Had no idea he was in Heart of Dixie, which tells me Cress has a lot of range, which makes me more eager to watch him do something with Black Lighting.

That's right! He's been in a lot of shows over the years. He was Dr. Bailey's first husband on Grey's and was on Living Single way back in the day. 

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, leopardprint said:

I am so torn about Black Lighting. I don't want to watch anymore of the Berlantiverse but I love Cress Williams from Hart of Dixie and I think it's an interesting concept. 

Thank you, thank you, thank you, @tv echo, for posting the scans. 

Luckily this is more like HTGAWM wherein he just got attached to help get it made but doesn't have as much involvement with it.

• Love 1
(edited)
17 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Luckily this is more like HTGAWM wherein he just got attached to help get it made but doesn't have as much involvement with it.

I know The Akils are very experienced showrunners so I hope you're right. 

Edited by leopardprint

AK confirmed that Cat Grant has known Kara's secret identity all along. When Cat and Kara had their "hero's journey" heart-to-heart talk in the finale,

I assume that "all along" really means dating back to the episode where she figured it out and confronted Kara (and tried to fire her) only for them to resort to Martian Manhunter pretending to be Supergirl.  By then Cat had already shown an interest in mentoring Kara and appreciating her on her own right so we still have that connection. I'm glad it's confirmed Cat knew since otherwise a lot of what she did and said makes less sense to me.  (I always assumed she knew and just played along since she couldn't prove it after the MM trick)

4 hours ago, leopardprint said:

That's right! He's been in a lot of shows over the years. He was Dr. Bailey's first husband on Grey's and was on Living Single way back in the day. 

Oh that's right! I liked him in Single Living. That show was good

• Love 1

I just saw Doctor Strange and while the casting is excellent, I felt bored for the most part. The villain isn't developed at all, Rachel McAdams feels like an afterthought and I really couldn't bring myself to care about Strange who comes off as a tribute to an earlier era James Bond for a good portion of the movie to me. I enjoyed Swinton, who is the perfect choice for her role. Overall, the movie felt like a set up for its sequel more than anything else.

But with this and Legion it's funny how British stars seem to be Marvel's go to guys for trippy comic book movies/shows. 

• Love 2