Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

Well,  I knew I was gay from the time I was ten.   Without a doubt knew.   But I have friends who didn't realize until they were in their early twenties.   I had a friend who considered themselves completely hetero and they were dared to kiss a guy at a party they ended up dating.   I don't think sexuality can be so easily defined.  

• Love 10

I somehow missed this - apparently Arrow and LoT have already been ruled out.  From the TVLine article posted on the last page:

Berlanti confirmed that the character is someone who is currently on one of the series — “It’s not a new character that’s been added” — and that it is not someone on Arrow or Legends of Tomorrow, which have gay or bisexual characters in Curtis and Sara, respectively.

4 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

The more I think about it, the more I think it's going to be Alex.  I think personally I'd prefer it to be Winn, but....I think it will be Alex.  Supergirl generally speaking focuses more on their female characters, so the odds are, if it's a Supergirl character, it's going to be Alex rather than Winn.  *shrug*  I could be wrong though.

Now that I read this I think this makes a lot of sense, but when I first read that it was existing character on a journey of discovery or whatever, I first narrowed it down to Flash or Supergirl also since they didn't have any such character and for some reason I was thinking they'd choose Caitlyn but that probably was just wishful thinking since I've found her love interests really awkward so far, lol. 

• Love 1

I would find Caitlin a stretch, honestly.  I mean, I understand the feeling, and I hated Caitlin/"Jay".  But Caitlin's been with Ronnie in two different realities now.   

But I think it's going to be Alex.  Another reason - I just read over in the Supergirl forum that Maggie Sawyer has been bumped up to series regular.  She was originally just recurring.  

Edited by Starfish35

Cisco is so overt about his drooling though. 

Alex really does sound most likely but with Caitlin I was thinking that since she's had such a bad experience with men (one broke her heart when he kept dying and one just terrorized her) maybe she'd be open to something very different. 

15 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Alex really does sound most likely but with Caitlin I was thinking that since she's had such a bad experience with men (one broke her heart when he kept dying and one just terrorized her) maybe she'd be open to something very different. 

Naa that would just send a bad message about sexual orientation; like all it takes is a broken heart from a couple of men to cause a woman to try it out with women and I can't think a producer like GB (who is gay himself) would agree to that
I haven't really watched Supergirl beyond the pilot... but from everything I read and from all the casting for the new season, my money is also on Alex.

• Love 3

WAG = Wild Ass Guess

I think it will be a male character.

Cisco drools but I feel like maybe that's a little bit of overcompensating or he's bi. 

My real giant WAG is Barry.  That sure would put an end to the WestAllen relationship in a hurry...unless Barry is bi. I almost want that just to watch the meltdown. But I dunno

4 hours ago, Trini said:

I guess Wally West might work, too; but I doubt it's him.

Can you imagine the bro part of The Flash fandom reacting to Wally being gay? The comic nerds? That would be hilarious.

30 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Oh god I've hated the "bad experiences with men makes you gay!" thing since Willow. Please no.

I'd love it if it were Cisco, but I'll eat my hat (lol) if it's not Alex. Everything's pointing to her. And I'm seriously mad about it. Not only did I sorta-shipp her with Max (who'll probably be gone anyway) and Hank, I find it a stretch for an adult (30? Late 20s?) woman to suddenly realize she's bi or gay with ZERO build-up. I mean, it would be the same for Cisco, but for women, it sends this annoyingly wide-spread message that female sexuality is more fluid or, as one of my acquaintances succinctly put it, "all women are bi".

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 3

I think Alex makes the most sense, although Tumblr would love for it to be Cisco. Alex hasn't really had a previous love interest. Supergirl's the show that's getting a new lesbian character. It's the show that doesn't already have gay regular/recurring character. And it makes sense for it to be a series that's been on just one year so it's not coming so far out of left field for the character. And Cisco already has the "dealing with these expanding powers" storyline, so I doubt they'd give the character a second identity storyline to go with it. Also, in the rerun this week Kara said to Alex "Then maybe it's time for you to come out. Tell her who you really are." It was in regard to her being a DEO agent, but I'm wondering if it could be foreshadowing.

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, FurryFury said:

Can you imagine the bro part of The Flash fandom reacting to Wally being gay? The comic nerds? That would be hilarious.

Oh god I've hated the "bad experiences with men makes you gay!" thing since Willow. Please no.

I'd love it if it were Cisco, but I'll eat my hat (lol) if it's not Alex. Everything's pointing to her. And I'm seriously mad about it. Not only did I sorta-shipp her with Max (who'll probably be gone anyway) and Hank, I find it a stretch for an adult (30? Late 20s?) woman to suddenly realize she's bi or gay with ZERO build-up. I mean, it would be the same for Cisco, but for women, it sends this annoyingly wide-spread message that female sexuality is more fluid or, as one of my acquaintances succinctly put it, "all women are bi".

Oh man! just for fandom reaction I want it to be Wally!

• Love 1

Finally finished season 3 of shield. Loved it! Although I didn't buy the Daisy/Lincoln ship. I liked Lincoln well enough but I got nothing from them supposedly loving each other. 

I found it really weird how in a few scenes he had with Jemma he looked like he had more chemistry with her than Daisy which was just odd! But that's just me the hubby didn't think anything of it. 

I really liked the death. Two of them floating into space peacefully.  Good way to kill someone! 

• Love 1

The Flash and Supergirl Will Stage a Musical Crossover This Season
by Kaitlin Thomas | Aug 11, 2016 2:39 PM EDT
http://www.tvguide.com/news/the-flash-supergirl-musical-crossover/?ftag=TVG_Twitter

Fans have been clamoring for musical episodes of The Flash and Supergirl for a while now, and during the Television Critics Association fall previews on Thursday, executive producer Greg Berlanti announced plans to feature a two-part musical crossover between the two superhero series in the back half of the upcoming season.
The crossover, which is expected to take place around Episodes 13 and 14, will feature mostly pre-existing songs, but Berlanti is also hoping to write at least one original song per episode. The musical sequences will likely be taking place inside characters' heads.

The musical crossover is not to be confused with the network's previously-announced four-show crossover that will unite each of the The CW's DC Comics series. According to Berlanti, the bulk of the story will happen on The Flash but part of it will touch Supergirl as well.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

CW Boss on Fifth Superhero Night, Supergirl Predictions, Episode Counts, Little Women Status and More
By Matt Webb Mitovich / August 11 2016, 9:39 AM PDT
http://tvline.com/2016/08/11/the-cw-new-superhero-series-arrow-spinoff-2017/

“We weren’t expecting to have four [superhero shows] this season,” The CW president Mark Pedowitz told TVLine on Thursday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour, referring to the Girl of Steel’s arrival. Supergirl came thanks to the parent company [CBS] bringing it over to the CW — ‘I said where can I sign up?’ — so at this time, there are no real discussions about any [additional] superhero characters.”
Pedowitz did leave the door open a crack, though, saying that if a peripheral character on an existing series “pops,” you “reexamine the situation. But at this time there are no discussions” — save for the just-announced animated CW seed series Freedom Fighters: The Ray, which in success a la Vixen could result in a live-action version of that yet-to-be-cast character visiting a CW show.
Other topics covered during the CW boss’ TCA appearance:
* Supergirl, The Flash, Arrow and Supernatural all have 22-episode orders, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is back for 13 and Legends Season 2 currently has a 13-episode order which could grow. Returning midseason shows The Originals, The 100 and iZombie will be back for 13 episodes each, while Reign may get as many as 16.
* Asked to justify the renewal of low-rated Reign, Pedowitz said, “I like the idea of three queens.”
* Pedowitz admitted, “We made some mistakes” with Season 1 of Legends of Tomorrow. “We think this year we will correct it.”
* Pedowitz is under no illusion that Supergirl will pull the audience it did on a major broadcast network, but anticipates “it will probably be our No. 1 or No. 2 show” behind The Flash.

Edited by tv echo

Meet the gay superhero getting his own DC Comics’ Arrow spinoff
 Joseph Patrick McCormick  12th August 2016, 12:13 AM
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/08/12/meet-the-gay-superhero-getting-his-own-dc-comics-arrow-spinoff/

It follows a gay news reporter-turned-superhero The Ray, through various animated episodes.
The Ray is described by CW Seed as: “Raymond ‘Ray’ Terrill was a reporter who discovered a group of government scientists working on a secret project to turn light into a weapon of mass destruction. But before he could report on his findings, the project head exposed Ray to a ‘genetic light bomb’.

“The bomb failed to kill him and instead gifted Ray with light-based powers. With these abilities, Ray realized he could go beyond reporting on injustice – he could take action to help stop it.

“Calling himself The Ray, he was recruited by Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters to fight violence and oppression wherever it exists.”

It is believed that The Ray will eventually cross over into the Arrow series.

“Without question [it will happen],” said CW President mark Pedowitz.

“That is the way we are intending to build these things out.”

Edited by tv echo

CW INTRODUCING DC'S THE RAY IN NEW ANIMATED SERIES AND, EVENTUALLY, IN LIVE ACTION
BY JONATHAN DORNBUSH   August 12, 2016
http://in.ign.com/freedom-fighters-the-ray/98448/news/cw-introducing-dcs-the-ray-in-new-animated-series-and-eventu

The CW will be introducing a new animated series, Freedom Fighters: The Ray, on the online streaming service CW Seed. Like its animated predecessor Vixen, The Ray will tie into the larger CW DC universe — including an eventual appearance for the title character on TV.

The Ray, debuting in 2017, will center around Raymond "Ray" Terrill, a reporter who gains light-based powers after being exposed to a "genetic light bomb." Ray discovers the bomb in his investigation of a secret government project attempting to harness the power of light and weaponize it.

Under the name The Ray, Terrill is brought into the fold of a group called Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters. Terrill first made his appearance in comic book form in 1973, but the series will pull inspiration from Grant Morrison's recent Multiversity series. As such, Ray will be introduced as the first gay super hero lead in any of the CW series.

Freedom Fighters is the second animated DC series to debut on CW Seed, the first being Vixen, which eventually saw the voice actor behind the title character, Megalyn Echikunwoke, playing the character in live action on Arrow.

Similarly, The CW is looking to cast Ray's voice actor as someone who can portray the character on TV.

"That is correct [that the actor is being cast to appear on the show]. Marc Guggenheim did a really good job doing that last time with Vixen and Megalyn. We want that. We want that performer, his voice, to be as part of the live action," CW president Mark Pedowitz said, discussing the series as part of the network's Television Critics' Association presentation.

Vixen first appeared in the self-titled CW Seed animated series before making the jump to a guest appearance on Arrow's fourth season. Though Echikunwoke will continue to voice the character, a new iteration of Vixen — her character's grandmother — will appear in the second season of DC's Legends of Tomorrow.

"That is the intention, to build out these animated shows into the Arrowverse and to be able to introduce them in any of the four shows," Pedowitz said, though no specific plans for how or when the character will appear outside of the animated series have been announced.

THE FLASH: According To CW President, Barry's Flashpoint Arc Will Only Last "A Couple Of Episodes"
Rohan Patel  August 11, 2016
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/the_flash/the-flash-according-to-cw-president-barrys-flashpoint-arc-will-only-a144462

At the Television Critics Association press tour, The CW president Mark Pedowitz revealed to the audience the length of Barry's journey into the alternate Flashpoint timeline, teasing that "The Flashpoint exercise is only for a couple episodes before it comes back in" (presumably back into the original timeline). He doesn't say much more, likely saving it for the show's panel later today.

'The Flash' season 3 spoilers, casting news: Iconic DC villain Mirror Master joins cast, Grant Gustin hints 'Back to the Future' moment
Sheanne Aguila12 AUGUST, 2016
http://christiantimes.com/article/the-flash-season-3-spoilers-casting-news-iconic-dc-villain-mirror-master-joins-cast-grant-gustin-hints-back-to-the-future-moment/60599.htm

In the last episode of DC All Access, lead star Grant Gustin revealed that Barry will be the only one aware of the change in time. When it all dawns on him, he will eventually make an effort to bring everything back to its rightful place."His memories are starting to get replaced from the previous timeline with new memories of graduating high school and graduating college, just moments with his family," Gustin explained. "And when he realizes that those memories are replacing other memories, that's when he starts to realize how selfish of a decision this was and maybe he should find a way to put things back to how they were."

The actor also hinted a "Back to the Future" moment for the Scarlet Speedster, adding, "In the same sense that he's forgetting a lot of memories, it means he's forgetting his powers too. It's like he's having a full Back to the Future moment where essentially his hand is disappearing in front of him."

Edited by tv echo

Greg Berlanti Says CONSTANTINE'S Future On The CW Is Uncertain, No Plans For BATMAN
Matt Bellissimo  Aug. 12, 2016
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/constantine/greg-berlanti-says-constantines-future-on-the-cw-is-uncertain-no-a144489

... Unfortunately, despite a very positive reception, Arrow creator Greg Berlanti has now said that the network doesn't have any future plans for John yet.

"We haven't had any conversations with them about Constantine," Berlanti said at the Television Critics Association press tour. When asked why there hasn't been any discussions, Berlanti said that "Constantine exists in a certain place in the DC world and universe" and he thinks "[the network is] kind of internally examining what they want to do with that character next." While this certianly doesn't completely rule out a return, don't expect to be seeing Constantine any time soon.

Berlanti also confirmed that there are no plans to include Batman on the CW, despite the network now including Superman on Supergirl....

ARROW CREATOR CONFIRMS NO PLANS FOR BATMAN CHARACTERS ON ARROWVERSE SHOWS
BY ALEX OSBORN  Aug. 11, 2016
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08/11/arrow-creator-confirms-no-plans-for-batman-characters-on-arrowverse-shows

There are currently no plans to include Batman characters in Arrow, Supergirl or any of the Arrowverse shows, executive producer Greg Berlanti confirmed at Television Critics Association press tour.

Berlanti said the rumors about Batman, Batwoman and Oracle appearing on Supergirl are completely baseless, and there are no plans to incorporate any of these characters into any of The CW's superhero shows.

Edited by tv echo

There are so many weird possibilities for flashpoint storylines, and I'm just a little blue that the thing I want to see won't happen; a scene between Moira and Cat. Maybe Cat wrote a revealing story about the Queens in this alternate reality, and she's talking to Moira at some party and there's a lot of mutual respect between them but an undercurrent of distrust, too.

• Love 4

Soooo same shit different season? Vixen started on CW Seed then forced into live action Arrow, then launched (different version) on LoT.

This season The Ray will appear on CW Seed be forced into an episode of Arrow and then launched on LoT (if it gets a 3rd season)?

• Love 9
18 hours ago, statsgirl said:

The Grey's Anatomy one was awful but didn't Chyler Leigh do okay on it?

She has a very good, stronh singing voice. The episode was still bad.

11 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

I somehow missed this - apparently Arrow and LoT have already been ruled out.  From the TVLine article posted on the last page:

Aw, shucks. And I was just about to throw Malcolm in the ring, suggesting he gets it on with Snart.

No mention of Arrow's 100th episode, apparently, but the important thing is that we welcome Supergirl to The CW, right? At least Berlanti's still calling the four shows' shared universe the "Arrowverse"...

Supergirl finds a perfect new home as the CW plans for a superhero-filled future
By Julia Alexander on Aug 11, 2016 at 5:30p
http://www.polygon.com/tv/2016/8/11/12443034/the-flash-supergirl-arrow-legends-of-tomorrow-cw-tcas-2016

Executive producers and showrunners from the network's four big superhero series — Flash, Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow and the new acquired Supergirl — took the stage at the Television Critics Association conference in Los Angeles on Thursday to discuss what was coming up on each of their shows. Greg Berlanti, an iconic producer on most of the series, said that the big thing they're focusing on is the next crossover event that will air during the last week of November and first week of December.

"The crossover event is going to start with The Flash and go from there," Berlanti said. "It'll take place across all four shows and it'll reintroduce Supergirl to the Arrowverse."

Making Supergirl feel at home on the CW — and welcoming her cousin Superman into the family — is one of the most important goals for Berlanti going forward. 
Making the universe feel coherent and build up the relationships between characters across different series is important to Berlanti, who acts as an executive producer on all four of the series, but the focus still remains on making each show their own thing without worrying about having to appease fans of the other ones.

"We always try to reward those that are watching all the series by throwing little Easter eggs in all four shows," Berlanti said. "We aspire with each of the shows to make them as good as it can be so that whatever the fanbase is, they have a reason to continue showing up for the show every week.

"If that leads to more people watching all four shows, that's great. But that's not what we're intentionally going for."
When it comes to bringing on more directors, nothing is more important to Berlanti and his fellow producers than diversity. More than 50 percent of the directors on Arrow this season are female or non-white, and there's a commitment from the Supergirl team to have as many female directors as possible come on. Not only is Supergirl a great show to work on, Adler said, but it gives them an opportunity to have an action series on their resume that will hopefully land them a bigger action feature.
That's Berlanti and the rest of the CW's biggest takeaway with their superhero franchises: They want to shine a light on different communities and bring hope to their audience. Arrow producer Sarah Schechter that the world can be a pretty dark place, and if the CW could bring some light into people's living rooms every week with a couple of goofy superheroes that really believe in building a safer universe, then that was the ultimate goal.

"The world is dark and there are a lot of scary things," Schechter said. "Seeing people rise to be the very best, there's a kind of inspiration in that even if the world is dark, you can bring joy to it. That's the best thing we can do."

Edited by tv echo

Summaries of major spoilers coming out of TCA...

11 Things We Learned About The Flash, Supergirl, and Arrow at TCA
By Whitney Friedlander August 11, 2016 5:29 p.m.
http://www.vulture.com/2016/08/supergirl-flash-arrow-tca-panel-things-we-learned.html

The Biggest Scoops From CW Hero Shows At TCA Panel
By Robert Dougherty Aug 12, 2016 10:00 AM
http://www.themovienetwork.com/article/biggest-scoops-cw-hero-shows-tca-panel

Edited by tv echo

The CW: Guide To Sizes Of Current Series Orders, Upcoming Pilot Pickups – TCA
by Nellie Andreeva •  August 11, 2016 11:46am
http://deadline.com/2016/08/the-cw-current-series-orders-the-fampire-diaries-final-season-size-pilot-pickups-tca-1201802228/

At TCA today, the CW president Mark Pedowitz shed some light on the sizes of the orders to the network’s returning series.

Of the fall series, Supergirl, The Flash, Arrow and Supernatural all have 22-episode orders, Jane the Virgin‘s order is for 20 episodes, while the second season of Crazy Ex-Girfriend, which is moving to Fridays, will consist of 13 episodes.

As a midseason entry, Legends of Tomorrow has a 13-episode order for fall with an option for a back order. Meanwhile, the final season of The Vampire Diaries will feature 16 episodes.

With the exception of Reign, picked up for 16 episodes, all returning midseason shows —  The Originals, The 100 and iZombie  — have 13-episode orders.

The fact that the CW renewed all of its scripted series and also added Supergirl won’t impact the network’s development plans. “We will probably pick up six to eight pilots,” Pedowitz said. That is at the high end of the CW’s usual pilot volume.

Will there be another DC superhero in the CW’s 2017 pilot bunch? There are no plans at the moment, Pedowitz said, but if a character on the current DC series “pops,” that could change. Additionally, he confirmed that the network is redeveloping The Notebook adaptation. The project is still searching for a writer. (The CW also is looking to redevelop Weaveworld)

Edited by tv echo
11 hours ago, FurryFury said:

I totally low keyed shipped Alex with Max, so part of me would be disappointed if it was her, but she does make the most sense, and people have been rallying toward her being possibly a lesbian for a while. My personal preference is Winn, but that's only because Jeremy Jordan gave Winn those vibes for me early on in season 1. I definitely would be surprised if it isn't a Supergirl character, though. 

But if it was someone on The Flash, I'd laugh for days if it was Wally. People have been assuming him and Jesse would get together, so for it to not happen? Priceless. I'd actually prefer it not to be Cisco; I like that he's super flirtatious with women. If it was anyone, I wouldn't hate it if Caitlin ended up being bi. Personally, I find that we get a lot of male coming out storylines on television, but not enough women coming out storylines. For the most part, the LGBT women on television have already come out. 

As for the musical episode, I say this could end up being a fun episode....but also it could be a disaster. I'll wait to see how they handle it. If they can bring Victor Garber on as a cameo somehow, I'd be happy. 

So, Joss Whedon is rumored to direct the Flash/SG musical???

Like I said before, the Buffy musical is my favorite TV episode of all time, and I also loved Dr. Horrible, so...this would be AWESOME, imo. I hope it's true!!

I have kind of an adverse reaction to the idea of Joss Whedon directing a DC property. Like I feel kind of offended by it even though I LOOOOVED Angel. I like DC the way it is. I'm not interested in seeing and hearing all the same beats that come from the Whedonverse show up in the DC verse.  But I guess since Arrow isn't going to be involved I won't care that much.  Meh.

I've been reading all these comments about them admitting they made mistakes with LoT - what mistakes are they talking about, specifically? I didn't follow any reviews or know the critics'opinion on it, and watched fairly casually after some point, so I have no idea what they are referring to. I'd appreciate some enlightenment :)

Edited by looptab
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Hmmm.  Yeah, I'm skeptical. 

Clearly they needed some clicks for their little website(s). They're still working out details for the November 4-way crossover, but they got the "exclusive" about the director from "sources" the day after the thing was announced, where the producer said it hasn't even been planned yet? Riiiiiight.

Yes, I thought that's how they did it, partly because while writers stay with the show, directors move around between shows.

Why does Arrow have to introduce another superhero?  Why?  Can't one of the other shows Berlanti loves so much do it for a change?

If I could have my druthers, I'd vote for Barry or Cisco becoming gay.  Let's face it, neither guy has been able to pull off a successful heterosexual relationship yet.

I'd be very surprised if it were Cisco becoming gay.  Cisco is AK's fantasy self.

Still thinking Winn, partly because the gay actors in the shows are men and Berlanti himself is a guy.

14 hours ago, FurryFury said:

Even when they did it on ER with Kerry, it seemed strange to me.

I can see it with an older woman though.  For example,  Meredith Baxter was married to and divorced three men before she realized she was gay.  But she's of the age group that didn't experiment and to whom it didn't occur that they could be gay.  For a younger woman, even of Alex's age, I think she would have figured it out earlier, whereas for a man there could be more "nope, not me" involved.

That's not to say it wouldn't be Alex, just that making it a man makes more sense to me.

Spoiler

ignore the spoiler box, I can't take it out.

Edited by statsgirl

Did they say the character is just going to realize they are gay or they are just coming out for the first to someone? 

And why are they making a big announcement about this? They haven't really treated their other LGBTQ characters that well or even shown them in relationships that much. Sara's kissed Nyssa once, then Nyssa was married off to Oliver, Sara's had one, one off flirtation with another woman, Curtis' husband was shown twice I think, did they kiss? I didn't watch season 4. The Captain on the Flash was never shown kissing his husband. To me it just seems like they are looking for a pat on the back or something. 

• Love 3

I think it's going to be this character's journey to realizing that he/she is gay.

Jarett Wieselman ✔ @JarettSays

Of keeping gay character's identify a secret, Berlanti says they don't want the audience to be ahead of the character's journey

Another reason I think it's going to be a man, because it might mirror the journey of one of the gay men associated with the shows.

eta TV Line:

We had a character who we had discussed as a possibility last year internally, and it didn’t materialize,” Berlanti told reporters after the panel. “We didn’t get to the story. We just didn’t have enough real estate to deal with it in the way that we wanted to deal with it. So when we were planning this season, we said to the network and the studio that it was a priority for us, and everyone was cool with it.”

He added: “And obviously, because the character hadn’t been gay, we hadn’t necessarily discussed it with the actor, too.” That cast member, the EP noted, was on board with the change.

Berlanti confirmed that the character is someone who is currently on one of the series — “It’s not a new character that’s been added” — and that it is not someone on Arrow or Legends of Tomorrow, which have gay or bisexual characters in Curtis and Sara, respectively.

The EP stressed that the development would be handled so “it feels real to us and that it feels real that this character could have been struggling with not expressing this, and then real as they start to discover it, and then, obviously, real as they settle into being who they really are.

Edited by statsgirl
On 8/12/2016 at 2:21 PM, looptab said:

I've been reading all these comments about them admitting they made mistakes with LoT - what mistakes are they talking about, specifically? I didn't follow any reviews or know the critics'opinion on it, and watched fairly casually after some point, so I have no idea what they are referring to. I'd appreciate some enlightenment :)

They say their big mistake was forcing a save the world-save the future responsibility on the team. The network and producers think the show worked best when we were having fun with the hijinks and character moments.  They want the consequences to be more episode centric so that we can enjoy the characters not being a perfect team and not doing things exactly right. They also think they had a problem by focusing too much on the large team each episode. They want focus to be more character driven within any given episode instead of making sure screen time was relatively equal depending on what the episode needed to showcase. 

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 2

My personal take  on that is that both of those general "world/future save responsibility took focus off fun and characters" and "need to focus episodes on individuals or small groups within the team without having to focus on the whole team" resulted from one major fail: The Hawks/Savage characters and plot DID NOT WORK. The "save all of the present and the future" is usually not a problem in a time-travel show unless the impetus for needing to do is iffy (or in this case downright stupid and contrived on several levels). And they did great on the episodes that had most of the team in them -- until they had to go back to the Hawk/Savage tedium buildup that was supposed to make us care about the need to save the world/future. IMO the problem wasn't necessarily that a big "save all of time" arc doesn't work for the show; it's that a "the team is sucked into a four-sided love triangle/revenge plot that's going nowhere and they have to figure out how to save the world without just up and smacking team members upside their stupid heads" doesn't work for the show. Sure, go ahead and focus on a single, duo, or trio within the team for each episode, just as long as that single, duo, or trio has nothing to do with a centuries-spanning love triangle involving the least expressive people in the group. These problems are very easy to solve; hopefully they done so appropriately.  [/rant]

(Sorry, I do actually like the show. I've just been wondering what Guggie et. al. have deemed mistakes to be corrected -- I just wasn't sure they were the same massive failures mistakes I'd like to see corrected as well.)

Edited by RandomMe
Because even 8 hours later, two "actually"s so close together is still an eyesore.
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, apinknightmare said:

Don't they book directors way in advance, though? So even though the ep isn't written, they have a director slated? 

Yes, they book the directors for the whole season probably early June when the Writers room reopens.