Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

I lived through a mutant gorilla on The 100 (a much more serious and generally better show than The Flash - too bad nobody watches it), I can deal with it here. A bigger problem is the treatment of female characters and generally mediocre writing - I feel like Arrow, in its season 1, was getting better and better, while with The Flash, it's the opposite, the first 10 or so episodes were way more interesting. Although it may be my complete and utter lack of interest in the shoddily written and badly acted Firestorm storyline (why the hell would anyone hire Robbie Amell? He's so wooden! And the actress playing his love interest just can't make up her mind on her acting style).

Anyway, Agent Carter is great and much superior to any other comic show on air, imo. It saddens me we may not get a season 2.

• Love 1

Okay, I apologize in case it sounded like I was trying to tell people what to think. That was no my intention. Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion. As for Grodd, I can totally understand someone having an issue with the idea of a telepathic gorilla, even on a comic book show. It's a ridiculous notion, and if you have never seen or heard about the character it seems to come out of nowhere and makes very little sense. I come into the show knowing about Grodd and got a kick out of seeing the broken cage with his name on it. I never thought they would actually do it though, I figured that would just be a funny easter egg, but now that we're actually getting him I am amused and pleased. To each their own though.

• Love 2

OMG, Morena! That makes me so, so excited for the Deadpool movie! Sweet.

"Amy good gorilla.  Amy pretty."  Hahaha, that movie.  

Yooo! Are you subtly mocking Congo? If you are, Imma have to ask you to step outside with me so we can have a proper lady fight. :) That movie, The Mummy 1&2, and Lake Placid, are some of my favorite B-rated creature movies. Lol.

But count me in among those not really bothered by Grodd. I'm slightly apprehensive but, also, am finding it hilarious and thrilling that we're getting him on the show, dodgy special effects or not. Unlike Arrow, I'm able to suspend my disbelief far more, and as often as possible, on The Flash since I never came into it with the expectations of the show being grounded in reality (and they never advertised it as such, either). Also, I think I can take anything they throw at me on The Flash because I'm far less invested on that show.

• Love 6

Definitely the best choice out of the rumor contenders (seriously, who is trying to make Jessica De Gouw happen?  I feel like she's audition for almost every comic-related movie or series), and I hope this goes well for her.  I just hope this means her time on Gotham is completely done for.  She's only recurring, so I hope she still pops up from time to time.  But, I'm still paranoid that the writers are going to be idiots, and find a way to get her off screen, so Gordon can be with his "true love", Barbara Kean, the unfaithful, cray-cray flake.

Do we know who Morena's going to be playing yet? I think she'll be really good opposite a character as zany as Deadpool, because she does dignified tolerance so well. She's grace personified, against Wade Wilson's crudeness.

Probably Vanessa Carlyle, Copycat

Yooo! Are you subtly mocking Congo? If you are, Imma have to ask you to step outside with me so we can have a proper lady fight. :) That movie, The Mummy 1&2, and Lake Placid, are some of my favorite B-rated creature movies. Lol.

Ever read the book for The Congo?  Sexist crap at a subtle but extreme level.  I can't enjoy the movie without raging over the book.  Michael Crichton is an ass (or at least writes women like he is an ass)

She's playing a weirdo on Gotham. I think she can handle Wade

A little different sure, but a weirdo?  Curious, oddly open minded, smart and direct, I would have said, but I don't know about calling her a weirdo on the same show with Nygma and FIsh and Cobblepot.  She's way to mainstream IMO. 

OMG, Morena! That makes me so, so excited for the Deadpool movie! Sweet.

But count me in among those not really bothered by Grodd. I'm slightly apprehensive but, also, am finding it hilarious and thrilling that we're getting him on the show, dodgy special effects or not. Unlike Arrow, I'm able to suspend my disbelief far more, and as often as possible, on The Flash since I never came into it with the expectations of the show being grounded in reality (and they never advertised it as such, either). Also, I think I can take anything they throw at me on The Flash because I'm far less invested on that show.

I love The Mummy 1 & 2. It has been a while since I've seen Congo, but I remember liking it very much. Lake Placid is an absolute favourite. Everyone was great in it but Brendan Gleason and Betty White were stand-outs.

I don't have very strong feelings for The Flash so the stupid and outlandish are acceptable. I do think that Iris, a lowly reporter hired for her knowledge of The Flash, is being given disproportionate importance by a Pulitzer-prize winning journalist. But that's TV for you.

• Love 1

Robbie is playing Firestorm on The Flash. That thingy on his chest is a technobabble splicer, that helps him separate from Victor Garber (long story, you had to be there).

I'm aware of that (I started watching Flash before trying Arrow)...

the question I was pondering is whether that photo means that Firestorm will be paying a visit to Arrow before the year is up, or if that's just a birthday card for their grandmother

(spoilered because I don't know what it all means).

the question I was pondering is whether that photo means that Firestorm will be paying a visit to Arrow before the year is up, or if that's just a birthday card for their grandmother

Ah, I get it now.  It would be interesting to see the two Amells together on screen. I wonder if anyone would comment on how much they look alike.

Ah, I get it now.  It would be interesting to see the two Amells together on screen. I wonder if anyone would comment on how much they look alike.

Iris made a comment in the last episode about how Ronnie looked familiar, and he said that he just had one of those faces.  I was wondering if it was supposed to be a joke regarding the two Amells because she had the hots for Oliver in the crossover episode.  

Iris made a comment in the last episode about how Ronnie looked familiar, and he said that he just had one of those faces.  I was wondering if it was supposed to be a joke regarding the two Amells because she had the hots for Oliver in the crossover episode.

I thought it was because she was tracking Burning Man on her blog...this is Hard Nosed Reporter Iris, she's ya know, super smart like that.

I wanna say card for grandma, but who knows.

Okay, now THAT is an Aquaman people will have to take seriously. That guy looks like he'd rise out of the sea and wreck everybody. I've been a fan of Momoa since Atlantis, and I may be the only person who enjoyed his Conan. I probably would have watched this anyway simply because I'm usually a sucker for superhero stuff but Momoa's involvement definitely puts it on my list.

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 3

IMO, the tribal look is how Aquaman should've looked instead of the blond surfer boy. It makes him look more threatening and maybe he wouldn't have been the joke of the comic world. 

But what is with the dull colors. Even Superman is more of a dark navy blue instead of the bright blue. DC needs to learn to lighten both their costumes and the storylines. There needs to be a balance between dark stories and light stories so we have something too look forward too. Who wants to go down a dark tunnel when there is nothing but more darkness at the end of it? 

• Love 9

Jason Momoa looks freaking AMAZING. I had zero expectations for this movie, but that photo actually made me look forward to it. 

The colour palette is very muted. Are they just going to film the entire thing in black and white to get the REAL! DARK! GRITTY! feel for it? At the very least, they can punch up the gold on Aquaman's armour a bit. 

I'm more curious about this film then I am excited about it. I like Henry Cavill (I will never forget the sound the audience made when we saw a shirtless Clark surrounded in flames - lol). I will admit to being a fan of Ben Affleck, but I haven't figured out if I'm dreading or looking forward to his take on Batman. Do we know if Zynder casted him or if it was Nolan? I have a lot of faith in Nolan.

• Love 2

I'm not surprised at the muted/desaturated colors for the Aquaman poster. DC movies seem to be allergic to fun. They seem to think their movies must be dark, broody, and serious all the time.

No kidding. Nolan's Batman movies were utterly joyless, and Snyder's Superman movie was no better. Just 'gritty', overly long and really freaking dull. Snyder's suffered even more from all the CGI shots just being a mess of grey pixels, smushing together. I had no clue what was going on but, honestly, I didn't care.

This next movie will suck just as hard, even though I think Ben Affleck will do a good job as Batman. I just don't think Snyder has any real ability as a director. Cavill is not going to have learned how to act or emote, in the time between the first movie and this one.

• Love 3

No kidding. Nolan's Batman movies were utterly joyless, and Snyder's Superman movie was no better. Just 'gritty', overly long and really freaking dull. Snyder's suffered even more from all the CGI shots just being a mess of grey pixels, smushing together. I had no clue what was going on but, honestly, I didn't care.

This next movie will suck just as hard, even though I think Ben Affleck will do a good job as Batman. I just don't think Snyder has any real ability as a director. Cavill is not going to have learned how to act or emote, in the time between the first movie and this one.

I do hate how dark they made the Superman movie. I have no problems with a serious Superman story, but the character shouldn't be so serious that he'd fit in better wearing a Batman suit. DC needs to stop copying Nolan's style. Just because Batman was dark and serious (it lends itself to it, really), is no reason to make every other hero dark and serious. I shudder at the thought of what they are going to do to The Flash movie. Oh well, at least the tv will remain fun.

The only Snyder movies I like are Dawn of the Dead, and Watchmen. And the directing wasn't the draw for me with either.

Edited by Lord Kira

I may be the only person who enjoyed his Conan

I fast forwarded the bloody parts but there were parts that I watched on a loop more than it is healthy to admit.  Jason Momoa is a beautiful, beautiful man.  I love the long hair.

Edited by BkWurm1

The Flash and Grant Gustin made the nominations for the 2015 Kids Choice Awards.  No Arrow nominations at all.  Gotham and AOS were also nominees.

Favorite Family TV Show

Gotham

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Modern Family

Once Upon a Time

The Big Bang Theory

The Flash

Favorite TV Actor

Benjamin Flores Jr. (The Haunted Hathaways)

Charlie McDermott (The Middle)

Grant Gustin (The Flash)

Jack Griffo (The Thundermans)

Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory)

Ross Lynch (Austin & Ally)

Favorite TV Actress

Chloe Bennet  (Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.)

Debby Ryan (Jessie)

Jennifer Morrison (Once Upon a Time)

Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting (The Big Bang Theory)

Kira Kosarin (The Thundermans)

Laura Marano (Austin & Ally)

http://www.eonline.com/news/627610/2015-nickelodeon-s-kids-choice-awards-honor-nick-jonas-meryl-streep-see-the-complete-list-of-nominees

Edited by tv echo

Surprised on Gotham making the cut for KCA but yeah The Flash makes sense. I guess since Gotham is Batman they just put it in lol. 

Surprised with some of the content showed on Gotham. But then again it does have some phenomenal kid actors with young bruce wayne, catwoman, poison ivy and some others. So I feel like it draws a younger audience if it highlights those performers & performances which sometimes it does, esp on the on-demand viewings of fox programs.

Flash makes perfect sense, its more kiddish in tone. Grant Gustin still appeals to younger audiences with his Glee connections.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1