Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

So, I finally started watching Iron Fist. Just reached episode 3. Some of the fight scenes in episode one were pretty weak and I think the lead could be better but it's not terrible? I'm actually finding it pretty watchable so far.

That said, I don't think it's something I'll ever watch again and it's definitely the weakest of the Marvel shows. But so far, I'm not hating it at all.

• Love 2

I guess they think that Grant can pull in a lot of people. I don't blame them since people really seem to love the Flash even if I don't understand why. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Prices for his solo stuff start at $150 and go up to $449.

Jesus! Not even Stephen asks that much does he? And he's tested property. Do the Avengers Cast members tickets even go to the $500 mark at cons? I think Grant will get a crowd but I'm curious to see if he can sell out at those prices?

Edited by LeighAn
A
2 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Chris Hemsworth asks for about 150 to 200. So yeah, Grant is asking for the Avenger level price. 

Yeah.... Grant is no Chris Hemsworth on any level #sorrynotsorry

• Love 6

I actually wonder how much he asked for to attend since this is his is first one. Chris Hemsworth gets $350,000, Chris Evans got $200,000. Plus they get some of the autograph and photo ops money. 50-60 dollars seems about the average for the popular tv stars. 

Of course I still mourn the time when they used to be free. 

Edited by Sakura12

If they are charging up to $450 they must have paid him a lot- probably more then he's worth. I don't even think the two Chris' are worth that much but at least they can say they are part of the biggest franchise in movie history (after Star Wars anyway).

I can kind of see the reasoning of the high price for this one. He has probably been in high demand on the Con circuit because for awhile. That said, I can't see him sustaining that price if he starts doing regular Cons. 

12 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Me too. I was shocked that Shatner was only asking for $80.

The Star Trek peeps are the only celebrities I actually want to meet. Shatner at 80 is a steal.

• Love 1

This rubs me the wrong way because I feel like he's pricing out a lot of people who'd otherwise want to see him. I know a lot of people do these things for the extra money, but it's not like he's not already rich. Making yourself available only to those who who are extremely wealthy at your first ever con is kinda messed up.

Unless like someone said, he doesn't want to see many people.

I can kind of see the reasoning of the high price for this one. He has probably been in high demand on the Con circuit because for awhile. That said, I can't see him sustaining that price if he starts doing regular Cons

It's probably priced just for the most die hard will pay anything fans so yeah, those prices can't be sustainable but if he doesn't do another con again (apart from the work one) for a long time then who knows. 

14 hours ago, Chaser said:

Moon River is my favorite song and that is not a good cover by MB.

Moon River is not really a song that needs a big voice.  It's the emotion that sells the song so if MB's character is confused and awkward due to the set up, then the song is going to fall flat.  

10 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Anyhoo, I, for one, can't wait until tomorrow because hearing Grant sing two bars from Grease's "Summer Lovin'" wasn't enough, and I've been clamoring to hear him sing for over two seasons now. I really like the sound of his singing voice, so I'm sure I won't be disappointed. I was hoping to get some singing when Barry ended up on Kara's Earth last season, but was deprived then, too.

So I don't mind sitting at my table of one, eagerly anticipating Tuesday's Flash.

I'm looking forward to it but then I was good with almost all the singing on Glee.  Looking forward to our visiting Music Meister as well.  I do wish the singing wasn't all in a dream world but oh well.  Bring on the corny!

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

Unless like someone said, he doesn't want to see many people.

If he doesn't want to see many people, then don't go to a large con  Pricing himself out of the ability of many of his fans to pay is just going to make them resent him.  Especially if William Shatner, who really is a sci fi icon (not to mention author) is only charging $80.

It sounds like he's been given really bad advice.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

If he doesn't want to see many people, then don't go to a large con  Pricing himself out of the ability of many of his fans to pay is just going to make them resent him.  Especially if William Shatner, who really is a sci fi icon (not to mention author) is only charging $80.

It sounds like he's been given really bad advice.

Shatner does a lot of conventions though.  Not saying that I can imagine paying what they are pricing GG but Shantner isn't nearly the rarity that GG will be at the event.  And does GG have any say in his pricing?  I thought the Con set all of that.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

I would think the actor can say to bring the price down or up if they wanted too. I highly doubt they'd say no to them. 

I wouldn't pay over 100 to see any celebrity. That's way to high for a 10 second photo op.  

Edited by Sakura12
6 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Shatner does a lot of conventions though.  Not saying that I can imagine paying what they are pricing GG but Shantner isn't nearly the rarity that GG will be at the event.  And does GG have any say in his pricing?  I thought the Con set all of that.  

Yeah the actors have a say. I think it was HVFF NJ where they jacked SAs prices up. When fans Complained the Con stated that the price increase was at SAs request.

GG is asking a lot but, he'll get it. He doesn't do Cons and if this is his only one fans will pay for his auto/photo. 

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

I actually wonder how much he asked for to attend since this is his is first one. Chris Hemsworth gets $350,000, Chris Evans got $200,000. Plus they get some of the autograph and photo ops money. 50-60 dollars seems about the average for the popular tv stars. 

Of course I still mourn the time when they used to be free. 

I wouldn't have thought that Hemsworth's price almost doubled Evans'. No comment about it, really, it just surprised me.

“We set it up this way — that both Barry and Kara are at romantic crossroads with their respective love interests,” Kreisberg explains. As he notes, the big multi-show crossover event that occurred last fall was, while fun, largely cut off from each show’s ongoing narrative.

“It was its own thing, divorced from what was going on,” Kreisberg notes. “What I love so much about the musical is it really gives our characters an opportunity to address what they are going through. They’re going to address their romantic problems and [the experience will] help them get over it, because there’s nothing more romantic than a musical.”

Of course, they don’t engage in all the singing and dancing voluntarily. Darren Criss plays the Music Meister in Monday’s “Supergirl” and in Tuesday’s installment of “The Flash,” and he brings about the whole music-pocalypse. Not that the characters don’t enjoy it: Benj Pasek and Justin Paul, who were part of the “La La Land” music team, and the songwriters of “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend” — including co-creator Rachel Bloom — contributed songs to the episode, which also features classics like “Moon River.”

“We actually have a flashback in the beginning of the ‘Flash’ episode to Barry and his mother when he was a kid — they used to watch movie musicals together. She says, ‘Everything’s better in song,’” says Kreisberg, who shares story credit for the episode with executive producer Greg Berlanti (the teleplay is from co-executive producers Aaron Helbing and Todd Helbing)

‘Supergirl’ Boss Talks Kara and Mon-El’s Troubles and ‘The Flash’ Crossover
BY ALLISON KEENE      MARCH 20, 2017
http://collider.com/supergirl-andrew-kreisberg-mon-el-interview/?utm_campaign=collidersocial&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social#images

It’s interesting because we talked a lot about it. If Mon-El were here, he’s say, “It’s not like I killed somebody!” But Kara holds herself and other people to a high standard, and that lie really hit her. That’s what’s so great about the musical episode. Barry and Kara find themselves at the lowest points in their relationships, and the musical gives them the chance to examine that and decide how they want to go forward.

But for fans who might be worried if this will tear Kara and Mon-El apart, Kreisberg also has reassured us that any clarity Kara gets from the musical crossover with The Flash won’t be a hindrance to her budding romance — even despite having to deal with Mon-El’s Daxamite family (and we know that the two have clashed over family issues before):

It’s complicated. We love Mon-El and we love Chris Wood. The chemistry between Chris and Melissa, on screen, is amazing. We think they’re such a great couple. Whatever is coming down the pike, they’re gonna face it together.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

Is everyone only breaking up for one ep?

Are we the only suckers who had to sit through a whole ffing season of a break up?????

I doubt Mon El's lie about who he really is would be resolved in one episode... 

As for Westallen, I'd truly feel bad for Iris fans if they had her running back to Barry after he screwed up with her, she gave him another chance only to have him break up with her. I hope the show gives her more of a backbone and dignity than that. 

So yeah while Barry might learn from his mistakes, I hope Iris doesn't let him off the hook so easily.

Edited by wonderwall
5 hours ago, bijoux said:

I wouldn't have thought that Hemsworth's price almost doubled Evans'. No comment about it, really, it just surprised me.

Shocked the hell out of me but, thinking about it Evans didn't really capitalize on his Marvel status. Hemsworth went on to star in another franchise (not a successful) with The Huntsmen.  

Even though Anne Dudek (41) is much older than EBR (25), I also thought of Felicity when this new Flash character was described by TVLine as a quirky genius (posted a page back on this thread)...

The Flash Casts Mad Men Alum as Mysterious New Character
By Rose Moore   Mar. 21, 2017
http://screenrant.com/flash-tv-series-anne-dudek-mad-men/

As reported by TVLine Anne Dudek will join the series as a recurring character named Tracey Brand. Tracey is described as “a smorgasbord of quirky idiosyncrasies” who will be celebrated in the future for her genius.
It’s great to see the Flash family growing, especially with such a well-known and talented actor, although the description may elicit groans from some fans. There is already one quirky blonde genius in the Arrowverse — Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Rickards), and when The Flash introduced the very similar Patty Spivot (Shantel VanSanten), some felt that she was something of a Felicity-lite for the show. Now there will be yet another smart, quirky blonde joining the ranks in Dudek’s Tracy, so hopefully there is something else in the character to break the Felicity mold.

I don't understand

1 hour ago, tv echo said:

But for fans who might be worried if this will tear Kara and Mon-El apart, Kreisberg also has reassured us that any clarity Kara gets from the musical crossover with The Flash won’t be a hindrance to her budding romance — even despite having to deal with Mon-El’s Daxamite family (and we know that the two have clashed over family issues before):

So Kara, who was lied to by MonEl and who gave him the boot because of that pretty big lie is essentially going to change her valid stance all for the sake of MonEl romance?

Or am I missing something?

Why The Flash, Supergirl, Once Upon a Time, and More Are Suddenly Singing
by JANE BORDEN  MARCH 21, 2017 8:00 AM
http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/03/the-flash-supergirl-musical-episode-once-upon-a-time-rachel-bloom

Different as these shows may be, all three [Flash, Once Upon a Time, Teachers] have casts filled with deeply experienced musical-theater vets. Kitsis points out that Josh Dallas, who plays the Prince Charming character, “spent like 10 years on the West End in London.” Kreisberg counts at least seven with musical backgrounds in his Flash ensemble. That episode will also be a crossover featuring stars from all the D.C. Comics TV properties—and will reunite Melissa Benoist (Supergirl), Grant Gustin (Flash), and Criss (Music Meister), all of whom are alumni of Glee. And Colloton adds not only that she started her career in choruses but also that at least half of the Teachers writers and cast spent time performing musical improv at comedy theaters in Chicago, where they met.
[Drop the Mic head writer Eliza] Skinner also suggests that the cyclical nature of TV musicals is linked to the ebb and flow of the popularity of irony: When irony is out of vogue, audiences crave the heightened levels of emotion that singing delivers. When they tire of emotion, they find musicals treacly once again. “If you saw people just acting out the level of emotions that are expressed in song, they would look silly and ridiculous,” she says. “But [emotion] is perfectly expressed through music, and is very cathartic.”

[Rachel] Bloom also wonders if these non-musical shows are taking a turn at the genre in order to meet a basic showbiz need that working in television simply cannot fulfill. She calls the industry “anti-climactic”: shows take years to move from development to production. Scenes are shot out of order, and with frequent breaks in between. Editing is done in a separate room. “There isn’t a razzle dazzle,” she says, “the feeling of, I’m putting on a show! I’m wowing the crowd! There is something about musicals that makes you remember why you wanted to be a writer or actor in the first place.”
... Sixteen years after it aired, everyone interviewed for this story mentioned “Once More with Feeling” [from Buffy the Vampire Slayer] as a direct or indirect inspiration. Clearly, musicals leave a mark on people. “If you put music behind something,” Skinner explains, “it feels wise, whether or not it actually is. You’re like, I didn’t realize how important these words were! Or how funny, or whatever. If you say a pun, gross. If you sing a pun, you’re a genius.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
Just now, Velocity23 said:

Are musical episodes really such a success on American TV? 

They tend to be promoted as special event episodes (like weddings, births, big deaths etc). I think they probably had more impact before every showed seemed to start doing a musical episode.

In other news I wonder if Supergirl will dip below 2 million viewers? I also wonder if LoT will bounce back or hit that 0.4 in the demo this week?

All this talk of the musical has made me go back and watch Xena's The Bitter Suite.  Once More With Feeling was a lot more polished, but I love all the Tarot symbolism of the first Xena musical.  And I find TV musicals that actually compose their own songs to be much more moving, even when some lines are clunky.

Of course, it helps that Xena's story sprung out of multiple seasons build up of angst instead of shoehorning the motivation for the "lesson" in at the end of the last episode with no deep understanding about what the songs need to bring out.

Also, Kevin Smith's voice was yummy. So sad again about his death.

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, TrueMyth said:

All this talk of the musical has made me go back and watch Xena's The Bitter Suite.  Once More With Feeling was a lot more polished, but I love all the Tarot symbolism of the first Xena musical.  

I think The Bitter Suite is miles better than Once More with Feeling. Then again, I never thought Buffy was as great as others.

18 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I'm gonna throw in the Fan Fiction episode of Supernatural as a really great musical episode that didn't have any of member of the regular cast singing. 

Fan Fiction was IMO, perfect in every way

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3

I disagree with the notion that Iris "gave Barry another chance" after she talked to Joe and realized she wasn't being fair to Barry-that his fear for her safety had no business being part of the reason for his proposal. I don't think he committed some great betrayal, but I'm not going to rehash it again. So if Barry and Iris do get back together after tonight's episode, I sure as hell won't be complaining. The reasons why Barry decided* to break things off was asinine and made no sense and was totally out of character for him.

*And this was shown to be true, since one of the assholes confirmed they did it for PLOT because none of these shows can have storylines independent of each other. They must ALL be connected, which is biggest bunch of BULLSHIT I've read.???

• Love 2

There's a lot more of this interview (go to link to read)...

‘The Flash’ Cast and EPs on Savitar, False Proposals, and Black Flash
BY CHRISTINA RADISH      MARCH 21, 2017
http://collider.com/the-flash-grant-gustin-savitar-black-flash-interview

So much of the hope and lightness of this show comes from the relationship between Barry Allen and Iris West. After a false proposal, her getting upset about that, and him now wanting some space, how do they move forward?

HELBING: When you have two people whose love is very, very strong, they’re typically drawn back to each other. You realize you can’t live without that other person, and they’re no different. There’s always hope there. It’s a hopeful show, and Iris is a hopeful character, so there’s always hope. We always want to maintain a level of hope.

KREISBERG: Like Barry Allen, I can see the future and something tells me those crazy kids are gonna be okay. Like every good TV show, your hero and your heroine have to go through their perils and their pitfalls. But, something tells me that the wedding invitations will be sent out.
Andrew, there are so many great characters across these shows, and so many cool opportunities for them to cross paths. Is there anyone you’d still like to see team up or go up against each other?

KREISBERG: Go up against each other? That’s interesting. One of the most fun moments for me, in the musical, is watching Cisco and J’onn work together. That was fun. We hadn’t gotten the chance to do that before. Every time we do a cross-over, we find a new group of people to stick together. Last year, it was so much fun to have Cisco and Felicity really take the reins in the Legends episode. And it’s always great to see Barry and Kara together. We’ll figure something out.

Edited by tv echo
6 hours ago, catrox14 said:

I don't understand

So Kara, who was lied to by MonEl and who gave him the boot because of that pretty big lie is essentially going to change her valid stance all for the sake of MonEl romance?

Or am I missing something?

They split up For Plot because Kreisberg wanted both Barry and Kara to have broken romances for the musical episode.

Barry will be back with Iris soon.  I suspect Kara will be back with Mon El too,  because it's their big romance this season.  Even more so if Mon El is returning to Daxam at the end of the season because they'll want it to have super feels.  (Someone please give Chris Woods his own TV show because Kara is reduced to playing his girlfriend rather than driving her own show.)

• Love 3

If Barry and Iris are back together by the end of this episode, does that really count as a break-up? If so, I'll take it. Their "on/off" period lasted two episodes.

• Love 3