Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Enjoy!  This looks like so much fun...

NEW Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Trailer - WORLD PREMIERE
Published on Feb 28, 2017, by Jimmy Kimmel Live

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 6
(edited)

Must've been from the same media briefing as the previously referenced TVLine article...

SUPERGIRL PRODUCER ON WHY THEY HAVEN'T SHOWN ALTERNATE VERSIONS OF FLASH AND ARROW CHARACTERS
BY ALEX GILYADOV / 28 FEB 2017
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/02/28/supergirl-producer-on-why-they-havent-shown-alternate-versions-of-flash-and-arrow-characters

... While speaking to IGN, Supergirl producer Andrew Kreisberg was asked if viewers might ever see Earth-1 versions of the Supergirl characters pop up on Flash and Arrow, or different versions of the Arrow, Flash or Legends of Tomorrow pop up on Supergirl.

Kreisberg explained that the show's producers decided not to mess with alternate realities on Supergirl for fear of muddling the narrative and not having a good enough story reason.

"The problem with that is it feels to us like if we do that once, we're going to open the floodgates of insanity," Kreisberg. "It's like Supergirl's over here, and it's its own show. Technically speaking, it's just another Earth, the same way Earth-2 is or Earth-3 or Earth-19. So technically speaking, there should be an Alex Danvers on Earth-1, or Earth Prime. But if we start doing that, I just feel like… Not that all hell hasn't broken loose already, but unless we had a really good story for it..."
Kreisberg believes you can easily turn these alternate worlds and heroes into an overused and boring gimmick.

"The more you start to do that stuff, the more it can very easily become annoying or like, “'Here we go again,'” Kreisberg said. "Even on Supergirl itself, like Chyler [Leigh] got the opportunity to play a White Martian [impersonating Alex]. Already built into our show, there's already characters playing different versions of themselves. It could very easily spiral out of control."

Edited by tv echo
6 hours ago, Trini said:

Eddie didn't even get a chance to propose.

he didn't get to the part where he actually asked her to marry him because he was taken away by Reverse Flash but everything he said right before that moment was ten times better. Iris then finds out in the  next episode when she finds the ring and it's like she's desperately asking him to ask her again until he basically tells her he saw the future and she marries Barry. 

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Cleanqueen said:

he didn't get to the part where he actually asked her to marry him because he was taken away by Reverse Flash but everything he said right before that moment was ten times better. Iris then finds out in the  next episode when she finds the ring and it's like she's desperately asking him to ask her again until he basically tells her he saw the future and she marries Barry. 

Screw destiny :') it will forever be the most romantic thing Flash has ever done. 

• Love 12
(edited)

Wow, that's some gall AK comparing Kara to Obama.

I think moving Winn to the DEO was a good move on Supergirl's part but for some reason, while I really liked last season, I'm not in to this one at all.  It's a bunch of factors -- the loss of Cat, Snapper who is crap as a mentor, Sanvers which I understand the appeal of cognitively but is like watching paint dry for me, the lack of any decent writing for James either at CatCo or as Guardian, the biggest part of the show tying Kara so very much to Mon El.  It's become like Arrow s5 for me, so so much panning through the mud to find the nuggets of gold.

8 hours ago, Trini said:

The show does move fast (heh) with relationships; but Barry's been in love with Iris since forever, and they've both been declaring their love since Season 2.

Barry's had a crush on Iris since forever.  The relationship theirs reminds me of most is Ray/Keira except the latter lived together for two years so they were ahead of WestAllen in that.

I don't know if it's because they pushed Barry and Iris siblings not too much, or because GG still plays like he's a teenager, or because s1 sold me on how maturely Eddie loves Iris while Barry was secret-keeping from her (good for drama on the show; bad for WestAllen foundations). or because Iris had to give Barry so many propping talks that I don't buy him as her savior now and I have to squint and tilt my head to see it as real love.

I'm happy for WestAllen shippers though, and I hope it works out for you.  There's nothing better than watching a show where your ship is working out.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Velocity23 said:

If not the show, The CW and wB are gonna put the brakes on the relationship. Like they did with Arrow and Olicity. Especially since they probably see more longevity with the Flash. Its the rule of the CW to have one major break up.

They are definitely going to do something to rattle them; but they already did 2 seasons of stalling. I don't see a "major" break up happening. (There have been hints that something may happen to Barry at the end of the season -- that might be a major disruption.)  All the issues that Olicity and Arrow are having are exactly why I think Barry and Iris are going to work out. I don't think The Flash will make the same mistakes.

2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

think moving Winn to the DEO was a good move on Supergirl's part but for some reason, while I really liked last season, I'm not in to this one at all.  It's a bunch of factors -- the loss of Cat, Snapper who is crap as a mentor, Sanvers which I understand the appeal of cognitively but is like watching paint dry for me, the lack of any decent writing for James either at CatCo or as Guardian, the biggest part of the show tying Kara so very much to Mon El.  It's become like Arrow s5 for me, so so much panning through the mud to find the nuggets of gold.

I'm still watching because I still like Kara and the cast, but it really is different from Season 1. The loss of Cat Grant is a huge minus for me, as well as the demotion of James/Mehcad Brooks, and the Alex/Kara sister relationship being mostly forgotten about.

• Love 1
(edited)

Why would there ever be drama in Barry and Iris's relationship when he can do no wrong in the eyes of all the characters, and her only role is to inspire him and get threatened so she can be rescued by him?

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, Trini said:

They are definitely going to do something to rattle them; but they already did 2 seasons of stalling. I don't see a "major" break up happening. (There have been hints that something may happen to Barry at the end of the season -- that might be a major disruption.)  All the issues that Olicity and Arrow are having are exactly why I think Barry and Iris are going to work out. I don't think The Flash will make the same mistakes.

I am not sure if i would call it stalling. I saw s1 as Iris with Eddie. And then in s2 Iris getting ready to believe in destiny with Barry.

I  see s1 and s2 of Flash comparable to s2 and s3 of Arrow. S4 had a domestic Olicity until 4x15, yes there was BMD but under the surface. So i would guess s4 of Flash is gonna see Westallen apart. CW doesn't care for drama or what fans see as mistake. They still believe that the push and pull is what gets viewers excited.  But honestly i seen other bigger network pull the same thing. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Hahahah Iris is toast by end of S3. They'll bring her back in S4 but, whatever method used will cause a delay in their relationship.

That's my spec anyways. 

Only way Iris stays dead dead is if CP wants out of Flash for any reaaon.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

I've been binge watching Chicago Fire this week, and I'm up to the episode the endgame couple got engaged in early season 3. But they didn't get married until the 100th episode in season five, and in between those episodes, they throw lots and lots of drama at them -- including a break up in S4 -- because television.

I think if Flash were to last 5 seasons, then yeah, maybe they won't throw break up drama at Barry and Iris, but this show has potential to go 10 years. Even if they go the long engagement route to have the wedding at the 100th episode, for example, and even if there is no relationship drama from engagement to wedding... they'll still have another 50-100 episodes to go after that. On the CW. If they get married before the 100th episode? Then I'll be betting on an actual divorce before reconciliation once the show gets an end date. Because television. 

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

I've been binge watching Chicago Fire this week, and I'm up to the episode the endgame couple got engaged in early season 3. But they didn't get married until the 100th episode in season five, and in between those episodes, they throw lots and lots of drama at them -- including a break up in S4 -- because television.

I think if Flash were to last 5 seasons, then yeah, maybe they won't throw break up drama at Barry and Iris, but this show has potential to go 10 years. Even if they go the long engagement route to have the wedding at the 100th episode, for example, and even if there is no relationship drama from engagement to wedding... they'll still have another 50-100 episodes to go after that. On the CW. If they get married before the 100th episode? Then I'll be betting on an actual divorce before reconciliation once the show gets an end date. Because television. 

Yeah, I can see this. Well, I still think getting engaged now feels soon, but it's true that they won't necessarily get married until late Season 4 or early Season 5. Engagements on some shows drag on forever (or they used to- I remember it felt like Lois & Clark's engagement went on for years). 

As for what could possibly happen after they're married- well, comics Barry and Iris DO have kids, so...I know it's hard to imagine kids being introduced on a show like this but it's long been a theory that Bart Allen would show up as their son at some point (maybe from the future). And there's the Tornado Twins as well. 

13 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

Well, I still think getting engaged now feels soon, but it's true that they won't necessarily get married until late Season 4 or early Season 5.

Long enough for multiple complications of various ilk to play out. Sigh.

33 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

No one ever said they'd be drama-free. I just don't think they'll follow Olicity, because look how well that's working out for Arrow. And we'll see if even the network lasts that long!

10 minutes ago, Trini said:

No one ever said they'd be drama-free. I just don't think they'll follow Olicity, because look how well that's working out for Arrow. And we'll see if even the network lasts that long!

The problem is Iris/Barry need a big break up while being a couple. Its just the law of the CW. This is the first time Iris/Barry were actually together for a period of time.

CW just renewed their affiliates with Tribune last year. I think the network is safe for a couple of years. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

The problem is Iris/Barry need a big break up while being a couple. Its just the law of the CW.

If you say so.
But there have been hints about what will happen to Barry at the end of the season, so maybe that will satisfy your break-up quota.

33 minutes ago, Trini said:

I don't think this has anything to do with O/F. It has to do with how network television does longform endgame relationships. At this point I can't see them keeping a young couple on a young male demo skew on the CW together for the next 4 to 7 years. Like, I'd love to see that -- it would be *groundbreaking* shit right there. But I'm skeptical because I know how the sausage is made.

• Love 11

Nikita refused to follow the format, Flash can do the same. It is more of a family show so I dont see it doing anything bad for the ratings. Hopefully they have the guts to see the relationship through and not wait until the end to have the two wed.

• Love 1

So I am lucky that I am loving most of the changes in Supergirl season 2. I love it much more than season 1 and a great part of this is because of Mon-El, aliens everywhere, Winn at the DEO, Sanvers and less James. I am also looking forward to the Daxam storyline. I would like to get more Danvers sisters, Space family trio and Cadmus but they are having difficulties balancing all these storylines (Alex is spending more time with Maggie and Jonn has spent a lot of time with M'gann).

I miss Cat Grant and I think James has been awful during the set up for his Guardian arc (I oddly don't mind him when he's suited up - just hate his attitude and entitlement every other second) and I'm still frustrated that there has been ZERO mention of Maxwell Lord this season but I also think season two has had some big improvements.

I found Lucy a waste of space that they kept trying to make fit and I hated that triangle.  I love Winn at the DEO and even though I hate James wanting to be Guardian, I love Winn being involved.  I really like the silly alien bar and I like Maggie and enjoyed M'gann (even if I'm still working on being ok with her and J'onn dating).  I love the addition of Lena.  Snapper could be worse.  And I don't hate Mon-el (I do hate that his name is spelled Mon-El since that only makes sense if he was Kryptonian hence my minor rebellion with the lowercase E) but I'm not feeling the magic with Kara and Mon-el as a couple.  Honestly though, I'm not sure if I'd feel it for anyone with Kara.  She doesn't really feel like she should be in a relationship that involves more than ice cream dates.  

Still, I think in general, this season has been better.  I feel more connected to the show and characters. I just want to tweak a few more things.  

Nikita broke up Michael/Nikita up for half a season after he found out about his son, then he pushes her away for a couple episodes after he loses his hand, and she gives him back her engagement ring when she ditches the team and goes on the run. I'd say Nikita followed the format too.

• Love 6
Just now, dtissagirl said:

And Nikita did all that in only 73 episodes. Flash is aiming 150-200 episodes. The longer it goes, the more separation tropes get hit.

Technically LoT already pulled it with Rip but setting him aside since he got his whole mind rewritten and thought he was someone else, which show do you think will pull the amnesia trope first?  Any guesses on who?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Technically LoT already pulled it with Rip but setting him aside since he got his whole mind rewritten and thought he was someone else, which show do you think will pull the amnesia trope first?  Any guesses on who?

Surprised Arrow hasn't done it yet to be honest since People just have to be miserable

• Love 3
(edited)
10 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Arrow has the market cornered on bringing the dead back to life. 

Flash has the evil twin trope going. I also think amnesia fits their story types.

Supergirl would be my odds on favorite for an amnesia story

Not sure about LoT, any Trope is possible on that one.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

http://comicbook.com/2017/03/02/gotham-casts-game-of-thrones-alum-alexander-siddig-as-ras-al-ghul/

Gotham appeared to lose its biggest villain in the winter finale, when the Riddler vs Penguin battle came to a dramatic close. But a villain of epic proportions is coming to town, as one of Batman's most cunning foes, Ra's al Ghul, joins the cast in the final eight episode run of the season that airs this spring. Alexander Siddig, a well-liked TV actor from Game of Thrones, Da Vinci's Demons, Atlantis, 24, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and more will step into the role of the nigh-immortal villain who in the comics seeks to make Bruce Wayne his heir as he controls the world from the shadows.

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda, Arrow.

• Love 15
7 minutes ago, Proteus said:

So Gotham is going to burn through another classic Batman character while Bruce is still in diapers. 

Ra's al Ghul is actually one of the few characters where it makes sense he's around before Batman. Can't defend all the other crap Gotham has pulled, though.

• Love 3
(edited)

Gotham has been great this year, I'm glad they are getting a better Ra's al Ghul. 

It makes sense to me to have Ra's show up now, Bruce wants to start training more after his fight against Jerome. 

I don't mind Bruce knowing about the villains as a kid. Isn't that the whole reason he became Batman. To fight the crime in Gotham. They had to be there as he was growing up. 

Gordon on the other hand is unhinged. I suppose because they think we need a manpain hero that growls a lot. Because we don't have Batman yet. He had to really mellow out as he gets older to even come close the Jim Gordon I'm used too.

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Chaser said:

And suddenly I'm watching Gotham.

Was it @Morrigan2575 that tossed his name out here back in S3?

OMG, Yes! I wanted Alex Siddig for Arrow.  Almost everyone else wanted Oded Ferh which was my 2nd choice. Pedro Pascal was my 3rd choice.

Edited by Morrigan2575
(edited)

Salim Akil and Mara Brock Akil will write and executive produce the series with Berlanti Prods.’ Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter, for Warner Bros. TV (recall the Akils inked a 3-year deal with Warner Bros. TV after exiting BET in 2015. “Black Lightning” will be their second project under the new deal; the other is a comedy series titled “Documenting Love” which will center on a modern-day power couple navigating life, love and family.
Edited by Velocity23
(edited)

I remember it felt like Lois & Clark's engagement went on for years). 

Oh it did, for ever, or it felt like forever since they threw every single thing they could think of to keep them apart (at least one conflict included actual kitchen sinks) whilst not going back on Lois knowing Clark= Superman. And for real the episode when they finally got married was officially named "Swear to God, This Time We're Not Kidding" which I recently found out on IMDB.

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 7