Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

Oh bugger - Stephen Amell is 34.  This is bad lol.  I was just saying today that I get nervous when the stars of CW shows start aging over 30.  I really hope a younger cast member is not on the way. Sign.

Oh bugger - Stephen Amell is 34.  This is bad lol.  I was just saying today that I get nervous when the stars of CW shows start aging over 30.  I really hope a younger cast member is not on the way. Sign.

I don't think that rule applies to the men. Tom Welling played 20-something-ish Clark Kent when he was in his 30s. The age gap between Oliver (1985) and SA (1981) is barely 4 years. 

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 3

You know just when I feel like Oliver is the dumbest superhero on television - Barry comes along and makes Oliver look better.  Ok seriously, even if I missed them getting Wally back (and I'm not sure I did) - they really gave Hunter/Zoom all of Barry's speed and now he has Caitlyn. This was not a good plan people.

• Love 5

I don't think that rule applies to the men. Tom Welling played 20-something-ish Clark Kent when he was in his 30s. The age gap between Oliver (1985) and SA (1981) is barely 4 years.

Also considering that they had the young, and missed, Colton on the show but were still quick to kick his beautiful ass to the curb.

Edited by Delphi
  • Love 1

Also considering that they had the young, and missed, Colton on the show but were still quick kick his beautiful ass to the curb.

That's a good point. And they kept Paul Blackthorne! Funny how it's been 2 seasons in a row that Lance could have been written off, but he's still there.

Hopefully the Flarrowverse can change and incorporate more mature Females.  ...  As for the Flash, they just need to learn to write for the female gender as a whole, I don't want to see them add more females when they can't even right for the ones they have now. But a female mature mentor would probably not hurt BA, perhaps they can get Joe a female partner around his own age. It might be good for both the actors to have someone else to play off of.

Tina McGee! All she's done is cameos so far; I'd love it if they made her a regular or semi-regular.

I'm still not over the fact that in Smallville season 1, Welling was playing a character literally half his age!

• Love 1

"Time remnant"? Am I reading this right? Flash, why do you always have to take something interesting and give us the dumbest possible answer? (See also: season one finale)

You know, I watch all four of the Berlanti-verse DC shows, and they all have good things about them, reasons why I'm still watching them. But I'm getting seriously tired of them making their characters stupid for plot, and having to watch around the plotholes.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 8

Well there goes my twins theory!

For a second there I thought they were going to make Jay and hunter father and son.. that would have been interested actually.

So if Jay was a time remnant of Zoom/Hunter that means there is no twin, so who is the man in the iron mask? I'm thinking now it may just be Barry's dad given what Zoom said "you won't believe me if I told you" or something to that degree..

I'm thinking i'll be dropping Flash after this season. Zoom was be far the best part of tonights episode I was partly bored this episode :-/

I am also ready for Caitlin to leave, I don't think I like her as much anymore and I am sick that every talk she has with Iris is about relationships and men!

Also.. Iris suddenly things she has feelings for Barry... I mean I watched season 1 so I know she does, but it has been a year since than. considering the last couple of episodes there was no indication that I could see or latch onto that Iris feeling for Barry was shifting. And no show! the E2 future news paper "must be destiny" is not a good enough reason to bring this out of left field. Slow burn people, easy does it wins the shipping!

Edited by foreverevolving

I hope Flash has something else up their sleeve with this Jay/Zoom/Hunter cause the only thing of that worked for me was Caitlin begging for Barry's life. Just bleh.

Does one of the Flash writers have a grudge against the Jay Garrick character? Having someone beat their wife in his iconic costume was a giant wtf.

• Love 4

Also.. Iris suddenly things she has feelings for Barry... I mean I watched season 1 so I know she does, but it has been a year since than. considering the last couple of episodes there was no indication that I could see or latch onto that Iris feeling for Barry was shifting. And no show! the E2 future news paper "must be destiny" is not a good enough reason to bring this out of left field. Slow burn people, easy does it wins the shipping!

Yeah, they really seemed to have no idea how to organically bring back Iris's feelings for Barry. Honestly, just seeing that she was kinda sad about him being with Patty would have done it, or at least laid the groundwork (if she had any feelings for him at all, that should have been where it surfaced in occasional hints, and it also would have given the Patty storyline a reason to exist at all). If they had already planted that seed, then it would make sense about the E2 revelations making her question it even more.

• Love 1

I'm not expecting much on Iris's feelings and POV. It's as if they blew it all on the tsunami episode that got erased. I hope the actual relationship is handled better.

Anyway, this episode seemed more like a sausage fest than usual. Went out of the way to exclude Iris and Caitlin. That conversation about Wally wanting to move in should've been between Joe and Iris.

• Love 2

I can't keep up with the CW its hiatus for 1 show and not another show. LOT I get running on its own schedule because its a short season. But Arrow & Flash should come back on the same week.

Oh well, it looks like I didn't miss anything important.

Can't FLASH & Supergirl just combine onto one show, so I don't have to bother with keeping up on two. Bonus, if I get to handpick which characters I want to keep and which I could leave behind.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1

I've got to agree with @Manbearpig, I don't think the article was trying to be sexist there is just no older women in the Flarrowverse in the past two seasons outside of Cat Grant.

That's the problem, that even though Berlanti sets up good female characters, unless they're young, they're disposable. The EPs said that Moira's story arc had run to an end and there wasn't any more story to tell for her. Meanwhile Malcolm remains endlessly and even Slade is still alive.

I think the article could have mentioned Charlotte Ross although she's just recurring. She took one shot comic character and make her into another reason to watch.

Has The Flash ever passed the Bechdel test?

I thought for sure Harry was going to switch out the vials, and instead of Barry's speed force he'd be giving Zoom something that will at some point kill him. 

They're all idiots. Barry especially, but that's nothing new.

I thought the same with the vials. Even when they're a genius, they're still stupid.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 3

He does, but according to the show Snart is 46 (if I'm remembering correctly he was supposed to be 5 in 1975).

I would never have guessed that Snart was supposed to be out of his twenties let alone his thirties.  (I had him around Sara's age, lol) Obviously I paid zero attention to the year they were in for his convo with his younger self.  It does explain why Mick was so much "older" than Snart, lol. 

You know just when I feel like Oliver is the dumbest superhero on television - Barry comes along and makes Oliver look better.  Ok seriously, even if I missed them getting Wally back (and I'm not sure I did) - they really gave Hunter/Zoom all of Barry's speed and now he has Caitlyn. This was not a good plan people.

It was a terrible plan.  Why aren't the good guys allowed to use the deal to make a trap?   They got Zoom to bring Wally back (of course with no explanation how he was traveling between the earths since at the beginning of the episode he was only able to make the jump when Cisco opened a portal which we saw close after Zoom first came through) and yet why did they feel their word or promise was more important to honor than stopping the murderer that was terrorizing an entire world?  Barry had just proved that he could trap Zoom.  Do it again and this time knock him out or steal HIS speed.  At the very least they needed to keep Wally as hostage to make them comply.  But nope, he gets to leave because Jay trusts them???   Why did they have to wait around and remind him that he had the feels for poor Caitlyn (Who now is so getting turned into an ice queen.  The big D word was tossed around a bit to much too avoid, though if Cisco gets to have his powers and be good only for Caitlyn to go evil I will start raging so hard.) 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 4

What in God's name is a time remnant?

In Eobard Thawne's case, it was a version of him that existed in time before he came to Central City, murdered Barry's mother and impersonated Harrison Wells. Logically, when Eddie Thawne, his ancestor, commited suicide, he should have ceased to exist because he would have never been born; but logic and the Flash are not mixy.

Near as I can figure, Zoom said that his time remnant was a version of himself that existed before he came to Earth-1, who he somehow convinced to go through time, stand in front of the portal so Zoom could stick his hand through his chest and kill him for reason that make no goddamn sense. Now logically, if he killed his past self, Zoom should have ceased to exist and never come to CC at all; but what the hell, only wimps expect things to make sense in the Flarrowverse.

And now I want the Doctor to land his TARDIS on AK and MG Dorothy, Wizard of Oz style and just be done with it.

Edited by Lokiberry
  • Love 8

Seriously, I've thought about this again and Flash is seriously trying my patience - even more than Arrow.  Supergirl and Legends are shiney and new and I like certain characters a lot on those shows (I wonder if we can create an Alex/Sara ship?). So the fact that they don't always make sense - well apparently I am willing to let that go.

But Flash doesn't just have "I know what they were going for there, but they still failed" plot holes like Kara recently failing to save a third person from falling to her death. Flash has "wait a minute - you were planning to do this all season long so maybe you should have setup some clues that would make it all make sense once you made the finale reveal" plot holes.  They also have - how is that person still alive when their younger self is dead plot holes!!!!!

And by the way - that one is huge because Legends is about to do an entire episode about how if you kill their younger selves - they die!  And this is the same universe!  Come on - people!

Anyway, so um Arrow isn't back on this week? I have to wait another whole week to put this damn bird to rest?

Edited by nksarmi
  • Love 4

Another Forbes writer, Scott Mendelson, talking about DC TV (although it sounds like he hasn't really watched Arrow since S1)...

We Already Have A Perfect Live-Action Justice League... On Television
Scott Mendelson   APR 19, 2016 @ 01:00 PM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/04/19/we-already-have-a-perfect-live-action-justice-league-on-television/#1e2071452ed3

Picking through the would-be offerings of the various DC Comics television shows currently in play, Warner Bros. already has the components required for a would-be Justice League.
And then you’ve got the one that started it all, Arrow. Here’s the rub: If you’ve watched Arrow for any length of time, it’s a hybrid of a true-blue Green Arrow story and a would-be Batman episodic television show. Like the best Batman stories, Stephen Amell’s careless playboy by day/tormented avenger by [night] presumes himself to be a lone wolf while surrounding himself with a rather large surrogate family. So you either use his Green Arrow as a Batman stand-in, or you magically age up the Bruce Wayne that stars as a wee child on Fox’s Batman prequel Gotham.
In the grand “use everything at your disposal” scheme of things, the current DC Comics television universe has Supergirl, Superman, Green Arrow, Bruce Wayne/Batman, Martian Manhunter, Hawkgirl, White Canary, The Atom, Firestorm, and two potentially reformed Flash baddies (Captain Cold and Heat Wave) at your disposal. Do you want a Justice League? You’ve got a Justice League already awaiting assembly if such assembly is desired. Okay, we’re missing Wonder Woman and a Green Lantern, but nobody’s perfect.
As I wrote in late 2014, the team-up between Arrow and The Flash was impactful because they were characters we already knew with established histories. It wasn’t just “Arrow meets Flash,” it was Stephen Amell’s Arrow joining with Grant Gustin’s Flash. This is similar to the long-game work that Marvel began in 2008 with the first Iron Man and the rebooted The Incredible Hulk. The Avengers was a culmination of something, not the opening act.
The irony is that Greg Berlanti and friends pulled off what Warner Bros. desperately wanted on the movie side, namely the potential for a functioning Justice League filled with characters we already know and like. But in Berlanti’s television triumph, he has also afforded artistic cover for Zack Snyder’s deconstructionist versions (their flaws as films notwithstanding) as well. Fans and audiences will determine which is the “right” version and which is the “Elseworld.” But as long as they both exist, they are both that much more valid.
Edited by tv echo
I wonder if we can create an Alex/Sara ship?

No, because I already ship her with Maxwell Lord (they got to hold hands! Yay!) or, to a lesser extent, Hank. She has better LIs than her sister, actually.

I'm an episode behind on Flash, but it all does sound stupid. I guess its time travel makes about as much sense as LoT's, which is none.  But then, even better shows have problem with time travel (like 12 Monkeys which I love).

• Love 1

TV Ratings Monday: ‘Supergirl’ finale dips, ‘Crazy Ex-Girlfriend’ finale ticks up
APRIL 19, 2016, BY RICK PORTER
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/04/19/tv-ratings-monday-april-18-2016/

The season finale of “Supergirl” recorded its lowest 18-49 rating of the season, 1.2 (-0.1 vs. last week), on a down night for CBS and the broadcast networks in general. “Scorpion” (1.5) and “NCIS: Los Angeles” (1.2) were also off a tenth.
At FOX, “Gotham” (1.2) was even with last week, and “Lucifer” bucked the downward trend by improving two tenths over last week. “Jane the Virgin” held at 0.4 for The CW.

EW's interview with AK and THR's interview with Ali Adler (warning: spoilery)...

Supergirl boss on that shocking arrival — and what's next!
BY NATALIE ABRAMS   April 18 2016 — 9:00 PM EDT
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/18/supergirl-finale-season-2-spoilers

'Supergirl' Boss on Renewal Chances, Pod Mystery and Exploring Superman
APRIL 19, 2016 4:11pm PT by Sydney Bucksbaum
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/supergirl-season-two-spoilers-superman-885795

Edited by tv echo

The Flash sounds like a mess this season.  If anyone tries to tell me that The Flash's writing and adherence to comic canon makes it the superior of the three DC shows on the CW, I will just laugh and laugh...and laugh!  It sounds just as problematic as Arrow and LoT, tbh.  

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
  • Love 14

I bet real Jay Garrick is the guy in the mask though. I'd be really surprised if they go with Jay Garrick never having been a real person, just because he's an iconic character. They're really going to say original Flash doesn't even exist?

Bubble Watch: Status Report On ‘Castle’, ‘Nashville’, ‘Criminal Minds’, ‘CSI: Cyber’, ‘Sleepy Hollow’ & Other Series In Danger
by Nellie Andreeva • April 15, 2016 7:52pm
http://deadline.com/2016/04/canceled-or-renewed-castle-nashville-criminal-minds-csi-cyber-sleepy-hollow-mysteries-of-laura-bubble-1201738298/

... Marvel’s Agent Carter, whose star Hayley Atwell already was recruited for an ABC pilot, Conviction, does not look good, especially with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. spinoff Marvel’s Most Wanted waiting in the wings.
The biggest renewal question at CBS remains the freshman series. The network has not renewed a single one as none of them has been a standout and, besides swiftly cancelled Angel From Hell, none has been a total failure. Of the batch, comedy Life In Pieces (CBS) is considered the safest bet for renewal. Of the hourlongs, Limitless is fully owned by CBS, Code Black is co-produced by CBS Studios, while Supergirl and Rush Hour come from an outside studio. While Rush Hour has been pretty underwhelming, the other three are considered to have a shot, depending on the strength of CBS’ drama pilots. (I have heard a possibility for CBS to chose between Code Black or medical pilot Bunker Hill, also a co-production with an outside studio). In unscripted remarks last month, CBS Corp. chairman Leslie Moonves indicated that the network may renew as many as five first-year series.
Edited by tv echo

That's why I always go huh? when I see article saying how much better Flash does Time Travel over LoT. I'd say they are about the same, meaning none of them make any kind of logical sense, is made up as they go along and just going with what looks cool. 

For me the Flash is only better if you like strictly male focused shows where the women folk are used for the hero to pine after, someone to make out with or give speeches to make the hero feel better about himself. They are not allowed to be in pain or have any kind of emotional storyline lasting more than 5 minutes, that's all saved for the men.

Does Iris have a father? I know there's some older guy with the same last name as her that she lives with but he doesn't really act like a father to her. Unless of course it's about controlling her life. 

If that's a true comic book adaption, than I'm going to pass on wanting any other show being like that. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 6

That's a new low for The Flash, I think. Kind of a mediocre start for Containment.

To be fair to the flash.. I didn't even know! there was a new episode last night until I wondered to myself it Flash coming back tonight or next week with Arrow? I should probably check just in case... that was at around 9:30pm after the east coast airing has ended.

You know.. I think I understand why Flash returned this week and not next week. in last night episode Barry lost his powers which would have made it impossible for him to flash in and out on the Arrow flashforward of the funeral... Meaning if they wanted to maintain that continuity they had no choice but to air flash tonight and Arrow next week, in time for Barry to regain his powers and for everyone to learn Laurel is dead. 

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 1

I find it interesting that The Flash's rating for older demos (e.g. 25-54 = 1.3) are higher than its ratings for 18-34 (0.9) Supergirl's bad 1.2 rating (18-49)is still higher than The Flash's 1.1. I would have thought for sure that the Flash appeals more to younger viewers of less discernment.

It was a terrible plan.  Why aren't the good guys allowed to use the deal to make a trap?   They got Zoom to bring Wally back (of course with no explanation how he was traveling between the earths since at the beginning of the episode he was only able to make the jump when Cisco opened a portal which we saw close after Zoom first came through) and yet why did they feel their word or promise was more important to honor than stopping the murderer that was terrorizing an entire world?  Barry had just proved that he could trap Zoom.  Do it again and this time knock him out or steal HIS speed.  At the very least they needed to keep Wally as hostage to make them comply.  But nope, he gets to leave because Jay trusts them???   Why did they have to wait around and remind him that he had the feels for poor Caitlyn (Who now is so getting turned into an ice queen.  The big D word was tossed around a bit to much too avoid, though if Cisco gets to have his powers and be good only for Caitlyn to go evil I will start raging so hard.)

For me, The Flash is making less and less sense even without the time and Earth2 elements.

logic and the Flash are not mixy.

Exactly. Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 2

Has The Flash ever passed the Bechdel test?

I think it did once, in a scene with Iris and Linda--one of the actors may have even pointed it out on Twitter at the time? None of the Flarrowverse shows are great on this front.

• Love 1

Looks like almost all of the superhero shows were down this week - Supergirl, Flash and AoS all hit their lowest demo ratings, while Gotham held steady...

Tuesday TV Ratings: ‘The Flash’ Hits All-Time Demo Low, Yet Still Bests ‘SHIELD’
by Cody Schultz 3hours ago
https://hiddenremote.com/2016/04/20/tuesday-tv-ratings-the-flash-hits-all-time-demo-low-yet-still-bests-shield/

The Flash returned on Tuesday night to 3 million total viewers and a 1.1 demo rating, shedding a handful of viewers and falling two tenths in the Adults 18-49 demo. While Tuesday’s new Flash marked an all-time demo low for the series, The CW’s hit sophomore superhero drama managed to outperform a new outing of ABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. – which averaged 2.8 million total viewers and a 0.9 demo rating across its 9 p.m. time slot. (Fun Fact: S.H.I.E.L.D.‘s demo rating marked a new demo low for the ABC series.)
Edited by tv echo

Agreed. I definitely think it was a mistake to put Arrow on break right after the the death. I think it's really gonna slow the momentum and lots of casual viewers are going to forget to tune in. Everything but Supergirl is renewed so I suppose it doesn't matter too much, but it's not exactly brilliant scheduling.

• Love 1

Agreed. I definitely think it was a mistake to put Arrow on break right after the the death. I think it's really gonna slow the momentum and lots of casual viewers are going to forget to tune in. Everything but Supergirl is renewed so I suppose it doesn't matter too much, but it's not exactly brilliant scheduling.

In addition to the hiatus issue, Arrow is also going to lose demo due to the basketball preemption in the Chicago market next week so viewership for 4x19 will probably be low. I really don't get why The CW insists on doing this to their lineup. The first airings after the last hiatus absolutely killed all of their shows' ratings but maybe they truly don't care.

• Love 1

In Eobard Thawne's case, it was a version of him that existed in time before he came to Central City, murdered Barry's mother and impersonated Harrison Wells. Logically, when Eddie Thawne, his ancestor, commited suicide, he should have ceased to exist because he would have never been born; but logic and the Flash are not mixy.

Near as I can figure, Zoom said that his time remnant was a version of himself that existed before he came to Earth-1, who he somehow convinced to go through time, stand in front of the portal so Zoom could stick his hand through his chest and kill him for reason that make no goddamn sense. Now logically, if he killed his past self, Zoom should have ceased to exist and never come to CC at all; but what the hell, only wimps expect things to make sense in the Flarrowverse.

And now I want the Doctor to land his TARDIS on AK and MG Dorothy, Wizard of Oz style and just be done with it.

Even I can't make any sense of the time travel stuff this time around and I have every other time.  But this episode makes no sense. 

The Reverse Flash time remnant worked because in order for Eddie to have decided to kill himself he had to know that Wells was actually Thane so even though Thane vanishes from the timeline with Eddie's death, in order to sustain the time line, Thane still had to have come forward from the past and killed Wells.  To avoid the paradox, the theory of infinite universes says the original timeline is preserved until it splinters away when basically a new timeline and a new reality were formed.

BUT you can't have someone later in the time line still alive when his earlier self is dead.  You can do the opposite but not kill the past but preserve the future.  I have NEVER heard of any show or theory that would allow for the earlier version to die and yet the later version live.  If you kill Baby Hitler, you may not stop WWII but there will be no grown up Hitler.  The time remnant thing is bunk on all fronts. 

That's why I always go huh? when I see article saying how much better Flash does Time Travel over LoT. I'd say they are about the same, meaning none of them make any kind of logical sense, is made up as they go along and just going with what looks cool. 

For me the Flash is only better if you like strictly male focused shows where the women folk are used for the hero to pine after, someone to make out with or give speeches to make the hero feel better about himself. They are not allowed to be in pain or have any kind of emotional storyline lasting more than 5 minutes, that's all saved for the men.

Does Iris have a father? I know there's some older guy with the same last name as her that she lives with but he doesn't really act like a father to her. Unless of course it's about controlling her life. 

If that's a true comic book adaption, than I'm going to pass on wanting any other show being like that. 

I don't think the show even remembers that Iris lives with Joe.  He asked Barry if it was alright if Wally moved in but did he ask Iris?  Nope.  Plus Iris never came home. 

• Love 2

In addition to the hiatus issue, Arrow is also going to lose demo due to the basketball preemption in the Chicago market next week so viewership for 4x19 will probably be low. I really don't get why The CW insists on doing this to their lineup. The first airings after the last hiatus absolutely killed all of their shows' ratings but maybe they truly don't care.

I thought it was Baseball?

I don't think the show even remembers that Iris lives with Joe.  He asked Barry if it was alright if Wally moved in but did he ask Iris?  Nope.  Plus Iris never came home. 

Yeah, that was weird. Iris very clearly lived in the house with them before this episode (she was saving Barry's dinner plate in the fridge just last week!), and suddenly in this one it seems like it's just Joe and Barry? But then later on, the three of them come home at night together. It can't even stay consistent from scene to scene.

• Love 2

That's a new low for The Flash, I think. Kind of a mediocre start for Containment.

I think they new Containment would tank... they were promoting it for a 1/2 a second until they dropped it like a hot potato. Then they quickly stated that it would be a limited engagement, not even a short-run series. It's almost like they realized they paid for episodes, so might as well air them, but they have no intention to expect anything from it.

TheCW really just wastes money, they did the same thing with that fallen angel show last season that they just burned off on fridays. 

TheCW really just wastes money, they did the same thing with that fallen angel show last season that they just burned off on fridays. 

• Love 1