Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E11: The Celebration Reverberation

3 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

I don't think that Penny and Leonard are unhappy in their marriage (right now...they definitely were last season), but I do think they've become, for lack of a better term, "an old married couple," which isn't especially entertaining to watch.  Neither character is really strong enough on their own--Leonard, after the first few episodes of the series, is really nothing more than a foil for Sheldon (I'd make an Odd Couple comparison, but I can't remember the names of the characters.  But you get the idea) and Penny was always the non-genius blonde across the hall.  Now, with Sheldon living with Amy and Penny living with Leonard AND no longer working as an actress, their characters just aren't interesting. And putting two uninteresting characters together does not actually make either (or both) of them more interesting....

I said this in a different topic, but I think Penny might be subconsciously resentful for giving up her dream of becoming a successful actress. I know the show made her appear to be bad at it but I'd like to see her take another shot. She gave up her dream for an admittedly stable, high paying job--which I suspect she really doesn't like, but is made by society to think she should. Meanwhile, Leonard has the career he worked for. She gave up her dream and he's living his. 

5 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

(I'd make an Odd Couple comparison, but I can't remember the names of the characters.  But you get the idea) and Penny was always the non-genius blonde across the hall.  Now, with Sheldon living with Amy and Penny living with Leonard AND no longer working as an actress, their characters just aren't interesting. And putting two uninteresting characters together does not actually make either (or both) of them more interesting....

The Odd Couple were Oscar and Felix.  Sheldon definitely bears some resemblance to Felix.  Leonard doesn't resemble Oscar so much, except that he's more on the "normal" side.

I hate to say it, but the most interesting things about Penny were probably her drinking and promiscuity.

Nice observation from MissLucas that Amy has taken some of the work of playing off of Sheldon away from Leonard and Penny.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, rmontro said:

The Odd Couple were Oscar and Felix.  Sheldon definitely bears some resemblance to Felix.  Leonard doesn't resemble Oscar so much, except that he's more on the "normal" side.

Ah yes, Oscar and Felix.  I didn't mean to say that Sheldon was Felix and Leonard was Oscar (or the other way around) but that the two characters didn't exist independently of each other.  Except, apparently Sheldon can exist independently--I just don't know if Leonard can be a successful character without Sheldon.

On 12/15/2017 at 11:37 AM, Dakisela said:

A MAJOR pet peeve of mine.  My husband is hearing impaired so we use closed captioning often.  It infuriates me when they either eliminate dialogue completely or change the wording SO MUCH that it changes the actual meaning of the exchange.  It's become very distracting to me.   Who do I write to about this???  Seriously!!!  I would absolutely offer my time for free to do this closed captioning service.  I'm an excellent typist.......

If you do help them out, I will offer my proofreading services. Not that you would make errors, but I enjoy proofreading, plus we could watch the episodes before everyone else!

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 1

Just started watching and have to laugh at the scene with Penny and Leonard trying to list highlights from their year.  That was me two weeks ago.  Desperately trying to come up with something cool that we did this past year!  I should have put still employed and still married :).

• Love 5

Aargh, my PVR stopped just after Sheldon suggested he and Amy use the bouncy castle.  If it's not a huge spoiler could someone please tell me what did he say?  And what happened next?  If anything.

On 12/15/2017 at 0:10 AM, biakbiak said:

As a severe emetophobe I could not enjoy this episode.

It didn't stop me from enjoying the episode but it was gross and something Lorre has in his shows a lot.  Do people really find the sight and sound of someone upchucking funny?

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 3

When Sheldon and Amy decided they were feeling better and it was still her birthday, he said something about having time to use the bouncy castle and then finding an empty bedroom for coitus. Then as they ran for the castle they leapt joyfully in the air and there was a freeze frame as they were up in the air. It was cute, but you really didn't miss a line or a joke or anything.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

he said something about having time to use the bouncy castle and then finding an empty bedroom for coitus.

Sheldon should remember what happened the last time a couple used someone else's bed.  This show does not need yet another baby.

• Love 1
On 12/17/2017 at 9:34 PM, Nordly Beaumont said:

When Sheldon and Amy decided they were feeling better and it was still her birthday, he said something about having time to use the bouncy castle and then finding an empty bedroom for coitus. Then as they ran for the castle they leapt joyfully in the air and there was a freeze frame as they were up in the air. It was cute, but you really didn't miss a line or a joke or anything.

All true, but it seemed from the way she said it that at first she was suggesting they have coitus in the bouncy house since no one else was around. Then he added the part about finding the empty bedroom (which would have to be Stuart's right? The other 2 bedrooms are Halley's, and Bernadette & Howard's. At least we know that Stuart isn't there.)

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 2
On 12/15/2017 at 4:35 PM, Angeltoes said:

I thought Mayim must be pretty confident about herself because they really made her look like hell.  

I wish the show could get Melissa Gilbert to show up at the wedding.

This would be AWESOME, but she's already been on the show, she works at the University.  I want her to be Amy's MOH.  

• Love 2

I think TV Diva Queen is confusing LHOP's Melissa Gilbert with BBT's Sara Gilbert, Melissa's sister.  To my knowledge, Melissa has never been on this show.

Edited by Bazinga
  • Love 12
On ‎16‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:44 AM, kariyaki said:

They used to have Sheldon as a common interest, that’s what drew them together in the first place

When Sheldon dashed in to use their bathroom, I was expecting a comment like, "Why would we need a baby? If we want somebody whiny and demanding in our lives we can just ask Sheldon to move back in!"

I don’t makd time to watch the show anymore but I enjoy reading your comments!

Heres a free idea for the already richer-than-I-can-imagine show runners: have Leonard develop an interest in baseball that he and Penny (“Slugger”) can share. The trope of the unbookish pretty person coming to appreciate geniuses’ pursuits has provided some fun in the past.  Now have the genius come to enjoy and tag along on the non-cerebral pleasures that the ordinary [sic] person likes. 

• Love 6
On 12/22/2017 at 7:49 AM, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

I don’t makd time to watch the show anymore but I enjoy reading your comments!

Heres a free idea for the already richer-than-I-can-imagine show runners: have Leonard develop an interest in baseball that he and Penny (“Slugger”) can share. The trope of the unbookish pretty person coming to appreciate geniuses’ pursuits has provided some fun in the past.  Now have the genius come to enjoy and tag along on the non-cerebral pleasures that the ordinary [sic] person likes. 

That's a great idea. Penny has many times shown that her street smarts and common sense equal their genius. It would be great if she came up with a money-making idea and Leonard had to figure out the science to make it work.

• Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 0:29 PM, Ouisch said:

And they did do a great make-up job on sickly Amy and Sheldon....I could feel their pain just by the way they looked!

I got the impression that neither of them were wearing any makeup, especially Amy.

On 12/23/2017 at 3:18 PM, ForReal said:

That's a great idea. Penny has many times shown that her street smarts and common sense equal their genius. It would be great if she came up with a money-making idea and Leonard had to figure out the science to make it work.

Penny Blossoms.

Except Leonard screwed that up royally.

8 hours ago, axlmadonna said:
On 12/15/2017 at 1:29 PM, Ouisch said:

And they did do a great make-up job on sickly Amy and Sheldon....I could feel their pain just by the way they looked!

I got the impression that neither of them were wearing any makeup, especially Amy.

I think it takes a lot of make-up to look that bad, especially Amy!

• Love 1
9 hours ago, axlmadonna said:

I think there was quite a lot of makeup involved.  I've seen comments from many actors and actresses basically saying that the less it looks like a character is wearing makeup, the more makeup it requires.  To be fair, I'm not sure that is completely true, especially when it you look at roles that require prosthesis and such, but the point is that the natural (or sickly) look on TV is anything but natural.

• Love 4

I think seeing Penny & Leonard as the old married couple is great. That dynamic works as a good foil for the rest of the characters who are all nut jobs. I also think it's pretty natural that the two sane folks would gravitate towards each other.

Not only did Penny have the Penny Blossoms enterprise but there was also the shoe app.

And Penny came to the realization that she didn't really want to pursue a career in acting anymore when she went to an audition and caught sight of all the other blondes in the room and remember how awful the experience was. You think they should retcon that? 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, welnoc said:

Not only did Penny have the Penny Blossoms enterprise but there was also the shoe app.

And yet, a few seasons later, they portrayed Penny as someone who couldn't handle glue when they were making jewelry during Girls Night In. They'll retcon anything to fit the script. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

And yet, a few seasons later, they portrayed Penny as someone who couldn't handle glue when they were making jewelry during Girls Night In. They'll retcon anything to fit the script. 

Yeah Penny especially suffers from this.  Comedy Channel has been doing a BBT marathon all week and the season where the guys meet Professor Proton is really really bad for messing with what we thought we knew about Penny.  It's were they portray her as drunk, stupid and formerly promiscuous in almost every episode.  I'm not saying these weren't "qualities" she never had before but, I dunno, there's  a real difference with it this season.  I guess the writers or producers or whoever figured over the top exaggeration is the surest way to laughs

• Love 1
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

You do have a point. I'd forgotten about that. They've also done a lot of retcon on Sheldon and Stuart as well.

What I'd really like to see is a total rewrite on Raj. That character gets on my last nerve. 

I guess I just don't want Penny going back to trying to get famous; because that's what her acting was about, being famous as opposed to loving the craft. IMHO