Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
ElectricBoogaloo

The Walking Dead in the Media

4 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Way to try and monetize an old Rick Grimes quote from a past season, tptb.   Truly original.

Hey, if one more strip of skin can be flogged from that dead horse it will be done.

What the hell is that freaky spiderweb looking thing hanging off Elpha's eye? Is it an artistic choice? We know how well TPTB do when they decide "We are artistes!"

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

On 1/29/2020 at 6:09 PM, icemiser69 said:

I am surprised that he didn't work a "Klingons on Uranus" reference into his response.

If the Klingons were not just on but also ‘Exploring Uranus’ then who knows where the infection could have originated 🙄

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Laugh 1
  • Surprise 1

10 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

I still can’t heat it because my VPN has run out, do you have to use headphones?

Try NordVPN. Works great and I think they're having a sale on right now.

Anyway, you didn't miss much. Just stupid whispering/mumbling and the scraping.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Try NordVPN. Works great and I think they're having a sale on right now.

I was with ‘Express’ for a year, but the renewal price was just taking the piss, I was holding out for a last ditch “please renew with us” offer, but it never appeared.

ill try a few ‘trial period’ offers, using some disposable emails, in the hope that one will offer me a good deal.

4 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

I was with ‘Express’ for a year, but the renewal price was just taking the piss, I was holding out for a last ditch “please renew with us” offer, but it never appeared.

ill try a few ‘trial period’ offers, using some disposable emails, in the hope that one will offer me a good deal.

I use Windscribe.  It is free for 10 G. per month,  That's enough for me and it works fine.  No ads or hassles, really good.

https://windscribe.com/?affid=p3aqx1gz

Edited by heisenberg
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, heisenberg said:

I use Windscribe.  It is free for 10 G. per month,  That's enough for me and it works fine.  No ads or hassles, really good.

Thanks  I’ll give it a go, although I can burn through 10G in one sitting, maybe that’ll generate a decent offer 💷

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

Thanks  I’ll give it a go, although I can burn through 10G in one sitting, maybe that’ll generate a decent offer 💷

It is easy to turn it on and off, but I agree, it depends of your needs.

5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

If the protagonists weren't written as morons and if the writers would stop using flashbacks, that would go a long way in improving the ratings.  

Flashbacks are fine if used properly. However, none of TPTB seem to know how to do this and the flashbacks are so disjointed and random. They're stuck in like afterthoughts, e.g. how Dr. Whateverhisnamewas from the Whisperers joined our gang. His backstory, when someone finally thought to create one, raced along so nonsensically it looked as though someone had a lightbulb go off over his/her head at the 11th hour: "Oh shit. We forgot to explain that! Someone think of something quick!" then just stuck it in any old place. It made no sense at all to me. We, or I should say "I", am left wondering what the hell I'm watching. What's going on? Is this happening now? Is it something from the past? I know they feel they're making art but to me it's just an amateurish mess.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 7:29 PM, AngelaHunter said:

Flashbacks are fine if used properly. However, none of TPTB seem to know how to do this and the flashbacks are so disjointed and random. They're stuck in like afterthoughts, e.g. how Dr. Whateverhisnamewas from the Whisperers joined our gang. His backstory, when someone finally thought to create one, raced along so nonsensically it looked as though someone had a lightbulb go off over his/her head at the 11th hour: "Oh shit. We forgot to explain that! Someone think of something quick!" then just stuck it in any old place. It made no sense at all to me. We, or I should say "I", am left wondering what the hell I'm watching. What's going on? Is this happening now? Is it something from the past? I know they feel they're making art but to me it's just an amateurish mess.

And if they showed Dante infiltrating the group of dumbasses from the start, the suspense would have been raised a ton when he first arrived.

They treated Dante's arrival as if it was some sort of murder mystery to be solved at the end.  There isn't any suspense using that method.

I know I am supposed to hate the Whisperers.  I do, but when the protagonists are told to go running after Carol and they listen to Daryl and follow his orders and they all end up falling in a hole, I think the protagonists need to own their own stupidity and really rethink whether they should be listening to Daryl at all.

If one of them dies, they need to throw Daryl and Carol out of the settlements.  Tell them to get lost.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 1

I don't know if there will be anymore preview snippets or not.  My DVR has picked up at least one preview for the remainder of the season.  They are picked up as if they are their own little program.  They only run for a few minutes.   I don't watch previews,   The snippet was picked up as a result of me having my DVR set to record all new episodes.  The snippets are so small, chances are you won't even notice them on your program guide.  There isn't enough room for a description unless you toggle over that small time frame.   They will show up in the recorded section after they are recorded.

2 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

It’s ok to show Walkers feeding off brains, but a little one on one action between beloved characters is a no-no?

Yep. A little girl lying bloodied and dead is fine by them. An adult man and woman having, or even thinking about sex is just too shocking and obscene. I'm thinking Kirkman and AMC don't like to deal with adult sexuality (although they have no problem with a juvenile preoccupation with bodily functions) in any way unless it's Negan raping his sex slaves. Even that was only implied. For all we know, he just liked to hang out with them, engage in witty repartee and have a relaxing drink. It's all a perplexing, weird mix of the vile and the puritanical. I've never seen anything like it.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I'm thinking Kirkman and AMC don't like to deal with adult sexuality

Can’t write about what you don’t know.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 2

22 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

I took a look and wondered, "Who the hell is writing this ridiculous fanboy gushing BS"? Glanced up. It's AMC. 🤣 How did I not know?

• Laugh 2

On 2/26/2020 at 3:21 PM, OoohMaggie said:

Explore Elpha’s cave.............

Nagen did that in last weeks episode.   I didn't want to see that visual then, and I don't want to think about it now.

I avoid spoilers at all costs.  That said I was reading some articles over at comicbook.com, and I have yet to find one that is critical of Kang or TWD.   Am I just picking the wrong articles to read?

On 2/26/2020 at 5:39 PM, AngelaHunter said:

I'm thinking Kirkman and AMC don't like to deal with adult sexuality

They seem to be more interested in the battles of the season and not developing true intimate relationships. 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

14 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Nagen did that in last weeks episode.   I didn't want to see that visual then, and I don't want to think about it now.

I avoid spoilers at all costs.  That said I was reading some articles over at comicbook.com, and I have yet to find one that is critical of Kang or TWD.   Am I just picking the wrong articles to read?

They seem to be more interested in the battles of the season and not developing true intimate relationships. 

😆🤣 None of us want to think about it.

I don't go looking for any articles and just skim a few I see linked here. So far I have not seen one that doesn't hail the genius of Kang. There has to be some reason for that, but I'm not sure what it is. Are they paying someone other than wee Hardwick to rave about the brilliance?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

12 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

So far I have not seen one that doesn't hail the genius of Kang. There has to be some reason for that, but I'm not sure what it is. Are they paying someone other than wee Hardwick to rave about the brilliance?

TWD often give these sites exclusive interviews and clips to play, with the obvious benefits, they’d get Jack if they slagged off the show. They do raise the odd viewer complaint but nothing heavy.

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

30 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

TWD often give these sites exclusive interviews and clips to play, with the obvious benefits, they’d get Jack if they slagged off the show. They do raise the odd viewer complaint but nothing heavy.

The problem is if they are going to do nothing but kiss Kang's and/or TWD's butt, IMO it makes their opinion pieces questionable if not useless.  In other words, if I know what song they are going to sing before they sing it, there reaches a point where there is no longer any reason to listen to the song.  Of course one person's objectivity is another person's bias.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

The problem is if they are going to do nothing but kiss Kang's and/or TWD's butt, IMO it makes their opinion pieces questionable if not useless. 

I’ll take “Useless Things” for 1000, Alex.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

The Walking Dead recently shocked its viewers with a sex scene involving two villains. Negan and Alpha stripped down in the woods, embraced each other in the nude, and got it on with their socks on after the scene cut away to a commercial break. The rest was left for viewers to fill in the blanks with their imaginations.

Shocked? Yes, we were, but not for the reasons they think. "Horrified" is probably a better word.

Sex scene? Who saw any sex taking place? Not I. Oh, right. It took place off-camera.

And we nearly got another shocking "sex"(with no sex) scene with Laura (the actress has some bad grammar going on) and Eugene. But we didn't.

https://comicbook.com/thewalkingdead/2020/03/04/the-walking-dead-sex-scene-deleted-video-eugene-laura/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

The Walking Dead recently shocked its viewers with a sex scene involving two villains. Negan and Alpha stripped down in the woods, embraced each other in the nude, and got it on with their socks on after the scene cut away to a commercial break. The rest was left for viewers to fill in the blanks with their imaginations nightmares.

FTFY

• Laugh 1

If anyone cares, TWD returned after the midwinter break to improved ratings, but then fell a week later (last week) to new series low ratings...
https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/the-walking-dead-season-10-ratings/

Air date        Episode        18-49 demo    % demo change    Viewers (mil)    % mil change
11/24/2019   10-08             1.02                   -8.93%                   3.214                   -2.90%
2/23/2020     10-09             1.20                   17.65%                   3.518                    9.46%
3/1/2020       10-10             1.00                  -16.67%                  3.159                 -10.20%

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

12 hours ago, tv echo said:

If anyone cares, TWD returned after the midwinter break to improved ratings, but then fell a week later (last week) to new series low ratings...

Wow. Didn't this show used to bring in 11 to 12 million viewers a week on a regular basis? I was about to ask how it has nor been cancelled, then I remember that I read it is *still* AMC's highest rated show. I just wish someone in power would  say, "this is unacceptable. Let's course correct and do whatever is necessary to bring the audience back."

I know, I know...I'm living in a fantasy world. 😞

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Sad 1

TV Characters We Miss
By Andy Swift / March 8 2020
https://tvline.com/gallery/tv-characters-returning-stabler-svu-photos/walking-dead-rick-returning/ 

Rick Grimes, The Walking Dead
We know, we know — Rick’s story is going to continue on the big screen. But it’s on the small screen that Andrew Lincoln’s character is really needed. Since the AMC drama’s primary protagonist was “killed” in Season 9, the show has wandered as aimlessly as a newly-turned walker. Plus, Judith and R.J. deserve to get to know the father who in their minds is as much a myth as a man.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 2

Dropped again - ratings for Sunday, March 8th's TWD episode (10x11-Morning Star) hit new series lows of 0.92 in 18-49 demo and 2.927M in total viewers (I believe that this is the first time the show has fallen below 1.0 in demo)...

Cancellation Watch Weekly Roundup: The Walking Dead Continues to Slip, MacGyver Holds Steady, and More
By johnnyjay | March 10, 2020
http://www.cancelledscifi.com/2020/03/10/cancellation-watch-weekly-roundup-the-walking-dead-continues-to-slip-macgyver-holds-steady-and-more/ 

Ratings Results of Interest: On Sunday, AMC’s The Walking Dead slipped yet again to a new series low, posting a 0.92 rating based on same-day viewing for the 18-49 demographic with 2.9 million total viewers. That show still ranks as one of the top-rated scripted entries on television and it has already been renewed for an eleventh season. But don’t be surprised if AMC looks at wrapping it up around its twelfth year.

Edited by tv echo

The Walking Dead Giving Negan More Scenes With Carol and Other Big Characters After Major Death

Well of course they are, it’s the final few steps on his road to redemption, which leads to an important place in the hierarchy of the remaining communities. I can’t wait to see Maggie’s reaction when he’s strutting around like king dick 🤬

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/walking-dead-season-10-alphas-fate-explained-1284728

To be fair, there's not really anyplace they can go with the character if they don't integrate him into the cast somewhat since the show is hellbent on keeping him.  None of these people could be bothered to dirty their hands to put him down even when presented with the opportunity at various points over the years, so now they have to deal with the fallout from that when they can't just lock him away and forget about him again.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 3/19/2020 at 2:46 PM, nodorothyparker said:

To be fair, there's not really anyplace they can go with the character if they don't integrate him into the cast somewhat since the show is hellbent on keeping him.  None of these people could be bothered to dirty their hands to put him down even when presented with the opportunity at various points over the years, so now they have to deal with the fallout from that when they can't just lock him away and forget about him again.  

It is a good thing he is still around.  TPTB haven't really tried to build up any of the other characters to fill the void if he were put down.

I don't know if Norman can fill that role or not.  He has been given pretty shitty lines to read.  TPTB need to find out if he can take the lead or not.  If he can't, there are a seemingly endless supply of other characters on the show that they could try to elevate.  I think it is a  writing issue more so than anything else.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 1

EW's interviews with Angela Kang and Danai Gurira...

The Walking Dead showrunner on what's next for Michonne
By Dalton Ross March 22, 2020
https://ew.com/tv/the-walking-dead-showrunner-whats-next-for-michonne/

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Tell me about the conversations between you and Danai about what you all wanted to accomplish with this last chapter from Michonne.
ANGELA KANG
: I think as with exiting Andy as Rick, Michonne has been such a key part of the show. So we really wanted to give her a weighty farewell that was interesting and hopefully did some things that were new and yet had some bearing on her story as a whole. And obviously, [Walking Dead chief content officer] Scott Gimple and I were in contact about how this might tie into the larger universe. And we went about our process in the writers' room and Danai — who is herself a writer, and an amazing one — and I talked. And I think really for her, what was important was just the feeling that Michonne is strong and that there's this connection to her children, which we were on the same page about. So we went from there.
Let’s talk about a few of those. Obviously, it starts off the initial Andrea meetup scene. I assume that's in there because that's where it all started, and that's where Michonne, as we know, ultimately had to make that choice at the very end of season 2, and taking a look at what had happened if she had not made that choice. Tell me about that and tell me about the challenges of having to syncing up old material with the newly filmed material.
For us, the way she came into the show was by helping a stranger, Andrea. And Andrea is one of our beloved characters that we had at the time. But here comes this person with these two zombies on chains and she doesn't have to help her, she knows nothing about this woman, and she makes a choice to do so. And so that is what brings her ultimately into our group's orbit. And without making that choice, if she had made the choice to say, "I don't know this person. I'd rather not," the trajectory of her life would've been different. So we thought that that was a good place to start the story of what happens when all those decisions slide.

In terms of syncing up with older episodes, it was a really interesting and kind of fun process. I think our VFX team did really an amazing job, and our partners in the VFX space that work with us took a ton of planning. Production had to recreate certain situations to get new footage such as the lineup with Negan and Michonne. They basically recreated the RV behind them and Negan and Michonne and her kind of passing through.

But we had a lot of alternate footage for that scene that had been shot to try to prevent spoilers. So we used that, and obviously, there're scenes that appeared in the show in other scenarios, such as Glenn and Heath coming into the room. And we recreated the beds in the corners and put Laura there and put Michonne in there. So it was really this wonderful melding of production kind of recreating certain spaces, and then post taking old footage and very cleverly using CGI to kind of put old and new footage together. And I think everybody just did an amazing job because they always pulled together so well to face whatever challenges we kind of throw at them.
We see later that she discovers Rick's boots, which leads her on this new mission. And then she goes on and she finds the phone and there's the word Rick on it, and there are images of Michonne and Judith. There's also some lettering on that phone. Can you tell me what that lettering says?
This was from speaking with Scott Gimple and what are the things that we want to have leading Michonne into her next chapter of her story, hopefully. And I believe the Japanese says something like “Believe a little longer." So it was a message to Rick from somebody, somehow on this boat. By steering Virgil, it's sort of the universe rewarded her with finding these clues that Rick is indeed alive somewhere, or he was not too long ago.
So what can you tell us about this group marching off that she sees at the end? Is this the same three-rings group that took Rick in the helicopter?
More of a question for Scott Gimple. But I will say that as far as I know, this group is not part of that same group. They kind of have a whole different way of dress. They're dressed in animal skins. They're traveling in kind of this very organized caravan. Everything we know about the three-rings group is they've got people shuttling people about by helicopter up and down the coast. So yeah, we'll see what adventures await.

And I guess we have to assume at this point in time that Michonne is somewhere between Virginia and New Jersey?
Yeah, she started that journey kind of heading up north. So somewhere in between.

So does this also then tell us that Danai is going to be part of The Walking Dead movie with Andrew Lincoln?
Well, I really hope those two reunite is what I could say. I mean, it's sort of not my realm. But certainly, I think it's like we're promising some sort of new story ahead. It won't be on my show, unfortunately, but there is some sort of plan for a handoff happening here.

Danai Gurira reveals all about Michonne's final episode of The Walking Dead
By Dalton Ross March 22, 2020 
https://ew.com/tv/michonne-walking-dead-danai-gurira-what-we-became/

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: First off, walk me through the decision to leave The Walking Dead. Why was now the time to make the move?
DANAI GURIRA: It was incredibly hard to even imagine leaving. I loved that show. I loved the family that I had there, and that I always have. The beauty of coming to work and loving the people you're around and the work that you're doing and the things you get to do and call it your job, is like nothing I could have imagined. So it's been a true gift to my life to have been part of it. It's always hard to accept that it's time to allow yourself to go in another direction. And it was incredibly hard to come to that place, but I had to. I had to start articulating it to myself and then to others, and it took a while to do that, because it was my home.

But there are aspects of my work as a writer, and I needed to allow it to have space. To really let it have its space in my life and in my artistic pursuits as well. And I just had to let the space come to pass. So it was really about that moment when you realize, I have to allow this change to be what I'm feeling it saying it needs to be. So it's a process to just come to the acceptance of that fact, and then you can see yourself that it's time to move to the next thing and create the space in your life for something else. And then stress because it's just incredibly hard. But yeah, it just felt like it was the time to do that.
Well, how did it feel playing a Savior and being on the other end of that lineup, which you were in back in the day?
It was crazy. It was so nutty being Negan's right hand. It was a very emotional and painful experience shooting that scene with Negan, and it was our introduction. He just came in and had us on our knees, and then we were losing Glenn and Abraham. It was a really tough component. It was very straining and very emotional. So to step on the other side of it was profoundly trippy. And even the melding of Michonne looking dead into Rick's face, that pulled at my heart a little bit imagining that deeper reality of what was.
What was it like filming those scenes at the lineup where you’re having to react to people that aren’t actually there because it’s all going to be put together in editing? How did you handle that?
They had these fantastic doubles who were there, and they did a great job. And then good old imagination. They put down people there who were dressed as close to the actual people as they could be. And then I connected to them. I mean, there was a part that we didn't end up using where I was in Carl's face quite a bit. Really awful, but it didn't make the cut. I don't know how these things happen. But there was a double playing Carl, that was very dark. But, that exchange as well, for her to see that. We know how much Michonne loved Carl, but the underbelly of that. And if that hadn't gone that way. Basically, we recreated the lineup. Of course, [Jeffrey Dean Morgan] was there, and we created the lineup with the doubles and worked it that way, including a double of Michonne.
So how did you enjoy your death scene where Norman Reedus pumps you full of arrows?
It was awful, awful. No one wants to go down like that. I mean these are people you love, this is your family. So Norman and I shooting that scene, you know, he's left shooting through the crowd and shooting me. Then Rick’s boots pinning my leg, my arm down. That wasn't fun. I don't know how else to tell you.
And if you look ahead, it ends with Michonne on this mission to find Rick. Does that kind of confirm that you're going to be part of this Walking Dead movie with Andrew Lincoln?
[Laughs] I mean, we'll see how it goes, man. You know what I mean?
How did it feel when you drove off that set for the last time and you knew you were saying goodbye?
It was a lot of things, a little heartbreak. It was pain, but it was love and it was joy and it was peace because I feel like I left well. I left with having done my utmost best and given my all and having worked wonderfully with these people who I will always love and respect and I always have relationships with.

I stayed really late because I had to clean out my trailer, and Melissa [McBride] and Scott Gimple and Christian [Serratos] stayed with me. And then as I was like “Guys, I got to go,” Scott started playing a song on his phone, I can't remember what it was. Something scary, maybe something Star Wars-y. It was a tune we all know, but you're going to have to ask him what it was. [Ed. note: Gimple reports that the song was “Fanfare for the Common Man,” by composer Aaron Copland, while McBride also serenaded Gurira with “You’ve Got a Friend.”] And as I got to my car and they helped get everything in and I exited the studio for the last time, it just felt like it felt a completion. And so I'm thankful for that. I felt like I'd exited well. That was the feeling.

21 details you may have missed on Michonne's final episode of 'The Walking Dead'
Kirsten Acuna Mar 22, 2020
https://www.insider.com/the-walking-dead-season-10-episode-13-breakdown-2020-3 

Edited by tv echo

5e77d52eba85ee1bcb25b815?width=600&forma

In a recent EW interview, showrunner Angela Kang responded to questions about the symbols on Rick's cell phone and those people marching off at the end:

We see later that she discovers Rick's boots, which leads her on this new mission. And then she goes on and she finds the phone and there's the word Rick on it, and there are images of Michonne and Judith. There's also some lettering on that phone. Can you tell me what that lettering says?
This was from speaking with Scott Gimple and what are the things that we want to have leading Michonne into her next chapter of her story, hopefully. And I believe the Japanese says something like “Believe a little longer." So it was a message to Rick from somebody, somehow on this boat. By steering Virgil, it's sort of the universe rewarded her with finding these clues that Rick is indeed alive somewhere, or he was not too long ago.
So what can you tell us about this group marching off that she sees at the end? Is this the same three-rings group that took Rick in the helicopter?
More of a question for Scott Gimple. But I will say that as far as I know, this group is not part of that same group. They kind of have a whole different way of dress. They're dressed in animal skins. They're traveling in kind of this very organized caravan. Everything we know about the three-rings group is they've got people shuttling people about by helicopter up and down the coast. So yeah, we'll see what adventures await.

And I guess we have to assume at this point in time that Michonne is somewhere between Virginia and New Jersey?
Yeah, she started that journey kind of heading up north. So somewhere in between.

Edited by tv echo

1 hour ago, tv echo said:

I stayed really late because I had to clean out my trailer, and Melissa [McBride] and Scott Gimple and Christian [Serratos] stayed with me. And then as I was like “Guys, I got to go,” Scott started playing a song on his phone, I can't remember what it was. Something scary, maybe something Star Wars-y. It was a tune we all know, but you're going to have to ask him what it was. [Ed. note: Gimple reports that the song was “Fanfare for the Common Man,” by composer Aaron Copland, while McBride also serenaded Gurira with “You’ve Got a Friend.”] And as I got to my car and they helped get everything in and I exited the studio for the last time, it just felt like it felt a completion. And so I'm thankful for that. I felt like I'd exited well. That was the feeling.

This made me cry. 

I wish they had given me something that meaningful in Michonne's last episode.  The character, the actor and the fans deserved it.

Edited by mightysparrow

Last episode delayed because of the virus, they can't complete the post production on E16 so Sunday April 5th will be the "finale" and the best they can say about the remaining episode is they'll be shown later this year.

https://tvline.com/2020/03/24/walking-dead-season-10-finale-episode-16-delayed-coronavirus/

Edited to correct episode numbers - I originally said two episodes E16 and E17 are affected but only one episode (E16) won't air and there is no E17.

Edited by sigmaforce86
  • Surprise 1