Type keyword(s) to search

The Walking Dead in the Media

• Start Topic

The TWD ratings for episode 10x05 were 1.03 demo and 3.086M viewers...
https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/the-walking-dead-season-10-ratings/

Sunday Cable Ratings: Kardashians Are the Walking Dead, Both Shows Hit All Time Lows As Viewers Exit En Masse
by Roger Friedman - November 5, 2019
https://www.showbiz411.com/2019/11/05/sunday-cable-ratings-kardashians-are-the-walking-dead-both-shows-hit-all-time-lows-as-viewers-exit-en-masse

You could say the Kardashians are the Walking Dead, ratings-wise.

On Sunday night, both “The Walking Dead” and “Keeping Up with the Kardashians” hit ratings all time lows.

The biggest surprise is that “Walking Dead” fell to just 3 million viewers (3.086 mil), down 300,000 fans from last week. The once proud AMC series is skidding to an ignominious end. AMC should wrap it up now. But they won’t.
Both shows air at 9pm which leaves the question, what are people watching on cable at that hour? From 8 to 10pm they’re watching Hallmark Channel’s latest Christmas movie. But otherwise, they are not watching cable really. They’re tuning in to football on the networks or taking in Netflix et al.
I do give credit to AMC PR: they keep pumping out “spoiler” stories each week, hoping someone will care what Negan does with his club of nails. I stopped watching the night he savagely killed characters off for fun. Evidently, I wasn’t alone.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

From EW,
Kang on Daryl and relationships,

[EW] I want to get into this Carol and Daryl scene where she asks him about Connie and he says it’s not like that, and she’s sort of trying to nudge him along in that direction. Instead of asking you if Daryl and Connie are going to get together, what I want to know is, what is it that makes Daryl so reluctant to be in a relationship? It’s been around eight years in show time and he’s never even been close to one. There’s clearly something there. We see it, Kelly is seeing it, Carol’s seeing it, and Daryl almost is refusing to see it. So what is this saying about him and the reason why he doesn’t want to go there?
“Daryl’s such an interesting character that way because in some ways, when it comes to romantic relationships, he’s not a person that I think trusts easily, and a lot of that has to do with his backstory, which is filled with so much trauma. He was physically abused, as well as in other ways. There’s sensitivity there for him. And I think he’s also just a person who it’s hard for him to trust anybody enough to connect with them really, really deeply. It’s a long, slow process for him in a lot of ways to get into any kind of a romantic thing, whereas I think most people these days think of it as just like, “Oh, you could have fun with somebody, and you can have sex with them and then it doesn’t have to mean anything.”

‘Daryl’s just not wired that way, and that tracks with conversations that Norman [Reedus] and I have had. He doesn’t attach to people lightly enough that he can give it a chance easily, you know? So I think that that’s really a big part of it. But certainly from Carol’s perspective, she cares about him so deeply and people certainly see that relationship in all kinds of different ways. But what felt real for us is they had this whole conversation about we’re best friends and she’s in this mode where she just wants revenge. And there’s an aspect of her that wants to make sure that no matter what happens in all of this and what happens to her, that Darryl has other people to lean on and rely on besides her because what if something happens to her?’

‘There’s a lot of friendship psychology and love, the care that they have for each other, and she she sees that Connie’s a good person, he seems to connect to her and he doesn’t connect to very many people at all. It’s like she wants to make sure that he’s not going to just kind of drift off and lose that community like he has before. She was the one thing that kept him tethered to the group when he was off as a mountain man in the years that we jumped.”

Kang on Alpha / Negan /Bayda and more,

https://ew.com/tv/2019/11/10/the-walking-dead-boss-explains-why-daryl-has-never-been-in-a-relationship/

Edited by OoohMaggie

Yes! Someone else sees it this way too, even if none of the fangirls do.

The 'Walking Dead' villain Kirkman has a warped definition of rape in the zombie apocalypse

Words like "coercion", "rape", "sex slaves" - finally.

These women are constantly raped, reduced to sexual objects, treated like property, and have the threat of violence and death looming over their heads.

https://www.insider.com/walking-dead-negan-rape-2016-12

• Love 4

“The Walking Dead Finally Acknowledges Negan and Carl Controversy”

The Walking Dead has certainly had its ups and downs in the Negan era of the AMC series. Jeffrey Dean Morgan's character was one of the most anticipated characters on television at one point but the series seemed to have botched the All Out War story by sprawling it out across to many episodes and frustrating the audience early on in Season 7. By the end of Negan's first full season, he was ready to kill Carl Grimes to punish Carl's father Rick but ultimately didn't swing his bat when a tiger crashed the party. Now, in Season 10, a new version of Negan has emerged and stated that he would "never" hurt a kid. After some fans caught this contrast, the AMC show's official Twitter account acknowledged the major change.

"We call that growth," The Walking Dead on AMC's Twitter account said, quoting a tweet showcasing photos of the very different moments for Negan.

This new Negan has emerged as a centerpiece for the series and is arguably the best part of The Walking Dead right now. When Angela Kang took over the show in its ninth season, Negan was locked in jail following the All Out War story's conclusion and stayed there for more than 6 years. In Season 10, Negan has emerged on a path towards redemption both for himself and in the eyes of the audience, going as far as killing Brandon for killing a kid and his mom outside of Alexandria.

As far as the show is concerned, this new version of Negan being dubbed as one who underwent massive "growth" is turning out to be a good thing for the show. However, one has to wonder, what might the show have been like if he had been handled differently early on? Morgan certainly has the acting abilities to play many versions of this character and always made the most of what he was given with scripts, often delivering entertaining scenes regardless of the larger story falling flat for many fans.

Of course, the argument can be made the Negan may have been bluffing back in the Season 7 finale and had no actual plans of killing Carl. In Season 8, he didn't show much remorse over the character's death while talking to Rick Grimes, although he faulted Rick with the death and thought he would have done a better job keeping Carl alive himself.

“we call that growth” Really? how about we call that bullshit!

From ComicBook,

https://comicbook.com/thewalkingdead/2019/11/12/the-walking-dead-negan-carl-kill-plot-hole/

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 3
On 11/12/2019 at 1:28 PM, AngelaHunter said:

Yes! Someone else sees it this way too, even if none of the fangirls do.

Words like "coercion", "rape", "sex slaves" - finally.

https://www.insider.com/walking-dead-negan-rape-2016-12

4 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

“The Walking Dead Finally Acknowledges Negan and Carl Controversy”

The Walking Dead has certainly had its ups and downs in the Negan era of the AMC series. Jeffrey Dean Morgan's character was one of the most anticipated characters on television at one point but the series seemed to have botched the All Out War story by sprawling it out across to many episodes and frustrating the audience early on in Season 7. By the end of Negan's first full season, he was ready to kill Carl Grimes to punish Carl's father Rick but ultimately didn't swing his bat when a tiger crashed the party. Now, in Season 10, a new version of Negan has emerged and stated that he would "never" hurt a kid. After some fans caught this contrast, the AMC show's official Twitter account acknowledged the major change.

"We call that growth," The Walking Dead on AMC's Twitter account said, quoting a tweet showcasing photos of the very different moments for Negan.

This new Negan has emerged as a centerpiece for the series and is arguably the best part of The Walking Dead right now. When Angela Kang took over the show in its ninth season, Negan was locked in jail following the All Out War story's conclusion and stayed there for more than 6 years. In Season 10, Negan has emerged on a path towards redemption both for himself and in the eyes of the audience, going as far as killing Brandon for killing a kid and his mom outside of Alexandria.

As far as the show is concerned, this new version of Negan being dubbed as one who underwent massive "growth" is turning out to be a good thing for the show. However, one has to wonder, what might the show have been like if he had been handled differently early on? Morgan certainly has the acting abilities to play many versions of this character and always made the most of what he was given with scripts, often delivering entertaining scenes regardless of the larger story falling flat for many fans.

Of course, the argument can be made the Negan may have been bluffing back in the Season 7 finale and had no actual plans of killing Carl. In Season 8, he didn't show much remorse over the character's death while talking to Rick Grimes, although he faulted Rick with the death and thought he would have done a better job keeping Carl alive himself.

”we call that growth” Really? how about we call that bullshit!

From ComicBook,

https://comicbook.com/thewalkingdead/2019/11/12/the-walking-dead-negan-carl-kill-plot-hole/

Two very good articles.  It used to be that to watch TWD, you had to suspend your disbelief.  Now, you have to shut your brain down completely. 

The reason why so many women don't report sexual assault is because our society views a rapist as some bad guy who jumps on a woman in a dark alley.  That's not what happens to MOST rape victims.  It disgusts me that not only are the writers of TWD playing fast and loose with what rape is, but the fan base is too. 

I don't give a fuck how charming or cute JDM is, the character he plays is a brutal killer and rapist.  I don't see how he can be redeemed, ESPECIALLY since he doesn't admit to what he's done.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

Now, in Season 10, a new version of Negan has emerged and stated that he would "never" hurt a kid. After some fans caught this contrast, the AMC show's official Twitter account acknowledged the major change.

No, we call that, "Wow, did we underestimate the intelligence of our audience and now we do some massive back-pedaling."

Negan was locked in jail following the All Out War story's conclusion and stayed there for more than 6 years.

Well, they did shoot the windows "all out" so there's that. Peculiar kind of war.

As far as the show is concerned, this new version of Negan being dubbed as one who underwent massive "growth" is turning out to be a good thing for the show.

What massive growth would that be? We've never heard a single word of regret or remorse from him. Adding the word "tits" to his repertoire of smarmy dick jokes could be called "growth" I guess.

In Season 10, Negan has emerged on a path towards redemption both for himself and in the eyes of the audience, going as far as killing Brandon for killing a kid and his mom outside of Alexandria.

What audience would that be? From what we know of Negan, he may just have killed his biggest fan because he acted without Negan's say-so, and he was annoying. He's killed and tortured people for less.

Of course, the argument can be made the Negan may have been bluffing back in the Season 7 finale and had no actual plans of killing Carl.

Okay. I guess in another conveniently deleted scene he earnestly said he was just bluffing.

Really? how about we call that bullshit!

Finally, something "massive" - the pile of bullshit.

16 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

It disgusts me that not only are the writers of TWD playing fast and loose with what rape is, but the fan base is too. 

What disgusts me most is that Kirkman doesn't know what it is and that his fantasy is so squicky.

16 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

The reason why so many women don't report sexual assault is because our society views a rapist as some bad guy who jumps on a woman in a dark alley. 

Yeah, and if, like Negan, the bad guy doesn't beat them bloody they must have consented and maybe secretly liked it too.

Edited by AngelaHunter
sober now and saw boo-boos
  • Love 3

Q & A with Dante,

Q: What drew you in about the character of Dante in particular? How much did you lean on the comics?

A: There’s a specific point in the comic when Dante reveals that you lose track of time in the post apocalypse. He realizes there are a lot of things he wanted to go after that he never got around to in the previous world, and now all those chances are gone. He’s talking specifically about having a family and settling down. I really hung onto that.

A really great moment, I think, is in Episode 3 when Dante seems to open up to Siddiq for the first time about being a war vet. It’s a really great chance to see a level underneath of Dante. In that moment, he also speaks about regret and the part of himself that he remembers. His coping mechanism is to be cavalier about things and take people off guard by how he talks. It’s a way that he’s hiding an insecurity about himself. I love that because it gives you so much to play with in how much you reveal as an actor.

Q: Does he really see himself as a “god of the apocalypse”?

A: Dante lives in an area of dark humor. That’s a coping mechanism. When civilization breaks down and a new world is being built from the ground up, it’s a very tempting and alluring thing to try to find purpose by getting into power dynamics. How special can he be in this new world? He has a gift and can be beneficial to this community. He really does aid in defining who survives and who doesn’t. That’s a huge amount of power to wield.

Q: That was a truly shocking twist at the end of this episode, which was directed by Michael Cudlitz. How did it land on you?   

A: The whole idea of playing a mole is always some of the hardest roles to play because you’re playing the reality from moment to moment… How much of what I am saying is the truth?… Do I really believe it? With each piece, you try to understand what Dante is thinking and when he veers off the road as far as his objective is, which is to ultimately betray the trust of someone he’s grown close to.

I had some of the best conversations with Avi Nash and the director, Michael Cudlitz, about the moments leading up to the point where Avi recognizes Dante as a Whisperer. Michael gave me some perspective on one segment of the conversation where Dante is trying to convey to Siddiq that the efforts of all of the survivors and Rick Grimes‘s vision of a new future is working because the people there are good and working together.

Most of the time, as a mole, he’s trying to corrupt from the inside. It would be so fascinating and so sad if, in the midst, he slowly realizes… by talking to Siddiq… another world is possible here. In that little glimpse, you can see that if Siddiq didn’t have that flashback and Dante didn’t act from his indoctrinated and autopilot programming, that there is a glimmer of hope that Dante could have changed and stayed. I think that’s what makes it so sad. It could have happened, but there’s not always those happy endings for these characters. It’s a tragedy, but a great moment. It’s a lost opportunity for redemption.

Q: What was it like building all of this with Avi Nash, especially knowing where it was leading?

A: I wasn’t aware of the full development and arc of Dante when I first started working. You have to make sure the pay off and the ending is warranted and you’ve earned it. That scene cannot achieve the emotional weight if we didn’t care about the relationship to begin with… The bonds that people make in the apocalypse are intense and real because there is no time to develop surface relationships with people. They’re not afforded that luxury. The scene can’t work if you don’t understand that there was real care there. They saw each other as brothers in arms.

Once the arc was established, it became like a razor-sharp focus of the true intentions of Dante in those moments of when he sees Siddiq for the last time. In that scene, I understand that Dante never meant to end Siddiq’s life. That was a split second made when all the plans went out the window. In the moments of Dante sitting on the floor after Siddiq has died, he has those moments of “How did we get here?” It’s like he almost can’t process it.

Q: And was it like scrapping with him?

A: I want to big up Avi Nash… the best thing is when you have a scene partner who is game from day one. It was fun with Avi because I’ve done martial arts for a number of years and I found out that he’s trained a bit in it. We geeked out a lot and we were both trying to add more submissions and throws. If it were up to us, it would have been a 10-minute scene of us grappling on the floor. [Laughs] In the final moments of the fight, there is an eerie intimacy that happens with suffocation and the extinguishing of life through suffocation. They’re enveloped in each other and it’s a strange and sad embrace.

Q: Do you think fans will be even more surprised by where this ultimately heads after the big reveal?

A: There is nothing more unsettling than living in a place where you don’t trust your brother within the walls of safety. Not only were the Alexandrians infiltrated, but they were infiltrated to such a degree that someone as valuable and loved as Siddiq was extinguished… That’s a frightening situation. Everyone’s going to be looking over their shoulder. Who’s next? Whether they recoup from this is going to be interesting to see.

https://www.amc.com/shows/the-walking-dead/talk/2019/11/spoilers-the-walking-dead-qa-juan-javier-cardenas-dante

• Love 1

Q & A with Gamma,

Thora Birch, who plays Gamma on AMC’s The Walking Dead, talks about Gamma’s rise in ranks and what it means for Gamma to become “unmasked.” 

Q: What drew you into playing Gamma?

A: Gamma is someone who has a lot going on internally. From the onset, I had the feeling that Gamma is trapped in three different worlds. Her previous “true” self (before the apocalypse), who her and her sister had to be to survive until their emergence in The Walking Dead… universe, and who Gamma feels she should be behaving as at any given point when we encounter her. Also, Alpha’s hold is near total when we first meet and learn about who Gamma is.

Q: How did you enjoy the process of getting into character – the mask, the walk, the whispering – what was all that like?

A: It was very exciting to get my mold made for the Whisperer mask Gamma wears. At that point, I was still very much a fish out of water who hadn’t yet fully familiarized myself with the tone of the show, or who the Whisperers are and how they fit into a society reeling from the loss of Rick Grimes. So when I got to the set on my first day, and my instructions were to simply “whisper walk” my way down a path and around a corner…  I was a little at a loss. I wound up studying and asking questions of a lot of the extras on how to move. Of course, watching the show also helped.

Q: What were your thoughts on Gamma’s big decision to choose Alpha over her sister?

A: Gamma’s decision was mainly split-second, but also in line with Gamma’s belief that Alpha is General/President/God [or] what have you. So basically, when push comes to shove and Gamma is pressed against it, she chooses her leader over her sibling.  It’s horrifically dark, but in the world of The Walking Dead, it fits. It also highlights where humans on the show are often the largest threat to their fellow humans. Even when zombies are 20 feet away.

Q: Would you say that moment proved she is completely devoted to Alpha or does she still struggle with where her loyalties lie?

A: When we first meet Gamma, she’s fully committed to Alpha as a leader. I personally feel she idolizes Alpha and believes she identifies with her. Although, “Gamma” still fully remembers her old name, and home, and life. She realizes the trauma of having to try to survive for all those years while looking after her sister. And, she certainly has a fair deal of remorse to contend with.  The way it all collides is the fun of it.

Q: Gamma and Aaron have been meeting in the woods. What does she make of him? 

A: Gamma seems to be indifferent towards Aaron, while still regarding him as fondly as she could, given the circumstances of them being on enemy terms.  He is able to scratch at the emotional, boundary-focused surface Gamma wears when she’s in Whisperer mode. But, she’d never admit that.

Q: Is it a vulnerable thing for her to remove her mask in front of him? 

A: Most of the steps Gamma has allowed herself to take towards engaging with Aaron have made her vulnerable. Removing the mask is among them, but I’ve viewed Gamma’s mask removal in front of a non-Whisperer as an act of full rebellion from her own group; from Alpha.

Q: How do you think it lands on Gamma when she sees for herself that Lydia is alive?

A: It doesn’t go over well.  There’s shock, denial, and of course rage — rage at being betrayed, and self loathing for choices made because of false pretenses.

Q: What about when she discovers that her nephew is alive? 

A: It doesn’t seem clear that Gamma is surprised that her nephew is alive. I think it’s more of a relief.  Once she finds out her nephew is safe and being taken care of, something clicks for her.  Without her sister, he’s all she has.

https://www.amc.com/shows/the-walking-dead/talk/2019/11/spoilers-the-walking-dead-qa-thora-birch-gamma

Q&A: Julia Ormond on Joining the Cast of The Walking Dead: World Beyond

Julia Ormond, who will play Elizabeth in AMC’s The Walking Dead: World Beyond, talks about what’s different about the latest TWD universe series and teases what’s in store for this new generation.

Q: What drew you to The Walking Dead: World Beyond?

A: I had a very obsessive binge watch of everything – all… seasons of The Walking Dead and all five seasons of Fear the Walking Dead – and I just became completely stooped in all of it. What really drew me in was the great writing. They seemed to have really nailed the tone. It seemed to be really timely – maybe even more timely now than when the [original] show first started. There’s a level of commitment in the playing that I really find heartwarming. It makes this show work. It makes it hopeful and warm. I was really excited to join the cast.

Q: Are you a fan of the post-apocalyptic genre, in general?

A: I think we are living in a time where it’s really scary. We’re facing a turning point that we never had to deal with before. We’re facing climate and human disasters, whether it’s refugees or immigration or human trafficking. All of the survival skills you see – whether it’s through a character like Negan who uses child soldier-like tactics of making people do horrendous things – those are all out there happening in the world. I do a lot of work on trafficking and slavery and sometimes it’s hard to get people to emotionally engage with something that is so frightening. Walking Dead brings us into that.

Characters like Travis in Fear the Walking Dead have that older generation assumption that somebody is doing something somewhere and then you hear on the radio, “Dude, we’re all f—cked.” [Laughs] What happens is, people shift. You watch people go through the journey of how to relate to the zombie. The zombie feels like a victim and an animal. It carries the sense of the person that it was and it’s a painful moment for people to see them in that state. You see what happens to authority figures and how people survive and what kind of tactics they bring in.

Q: What can you tell us about your character, Elizabeth? Do you draw on any inspiration in particular when crafting her?

A: In World Beyond, the character I’m playing is a leader of a formidable society. It’s an extension of the other worlds we’ve seen, but she’s another kind of community leader. I went into an actor panic because there have been so many great leadership roles. [Laughs] Andrew Lincoln, Lennie James… just such strong characters that have lent different sides of what my responsibility is. I think she’s more in the pragmatic zone. For me, the pragmatism that some of the characters have is really about devoting yourself to the future of the human race – not even the planet. The planet is going to survive, but it’s the human race that’s at risk. What role do you take? What tactics do you sign up for? At some point, the buck has to stop somewhere.

What I love about World Beyond is that it starts with a younger group and people who were really young when this all started. For them, it’s like “OK, boomers. You guys messed up. It’s up to us to save the world.” It’s definitely got that vibe.

Q: With so many young actors as your co-stars, what is the vibe on set?

A: This is a finely tuned machine, so it’s nice and relaxed. It’s really fun. It’s always great working with young people. It’s raw and open. There’s something endearing and open about it that makes you want to nurture it. There is something about the children and their future. There is something about being a parent in these circumstances and to exist within very real limitations of what they can and cannot to. You have to have a really healthy dose of tough love, that can often feel unhealthy for the people experiencing it. The tone is really helpful, too. There’s humor in it.

Q: What are you most looking forward to as we prepare to walk into a whole new world?

A: In general, more of The Walking Dead is great! [Laughs] This is a chance to go through the journey again and start at a level with new characters. I think it’s successful when you can start again with a new version and keep the journey going with new people. I thought Nick, in Fear the Walking Dead, was so brilliantly done. He had this strange kind of nonthreatening innocence to his character. His life is so chaotic in the pre-apocalyptic world that he sees it differently as everyone else gets thrown into chaos. He’s got a skill set in a different way. I’m most excited for how people will respond to this new set of young people and what they bring to this.

https://www.amc.com/shows/the-walking-dead-world-beyond/talk/2019/11/qa-julia-ormond-on-joining-the-cast-of-the-walking-dead-world-beyond

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • LOL 1

The TWD ratings for episode 10x08 were 1.02 demo and 3.21M viewers...
https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/the-walking-dead-season-10-ratings/

The Walking Dead Midseason Finale Ratings Are A New Series Low
By BRANDON DAVIS - November 26, 2019
https://comicbook.com/thewalkingdead/2019/11/26/the-walking-dead-midseason-finale-ratings-series-low-live/ 

The Walking Dead wrapped up a tremendous year of 16 episodes in terms of quality with the back half of season nine and front half of season ten on Sunday night. However, despite the high quality run of storytelling, the ratings continue to slide as the AMC zombie series hit a new series low in ratings with its mid-season ten finale. The show finished in second place on the night behind only The Simpsons in its Thanksgiving episode, a rare non-win for the once-juggernaut series which was hauling in 17 million viewers on Sunday night at its peak.

The Walking Dead Episode 10x08 hauled in 3.21 million total viewers on Sunday night for a 1.02 rating in the key 18-49 demographic. It is the lowest live viewing number for the series since it launched at the beginning of the decade in October of 2010. Numbers will likely increase when Live+3 numbers are revealed and AMC also benefits from viewings through its AMC Premiere service which allows audiences to stream the new episodes before they air on Sunday nights.

• Love 3

"However, despite the high quality run of storytelling, the ratings continue to slide as the AMC zombie series hit a new series low in ratings with its mid-season ten finale"

Wait. What? ... Are these spokespeople paid by AMC?

The high quality run of story telling was over by season 4, maybe 5. The show has had moments of its old quality, but overall it has been in a slow death spiral ever since.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, shanndee said:

The show has had moments of its old quality, but overall it has been in a slow death spiral ever since.

I honestly believe the last few episodes have shown improvement, but yeah, I think those people are in dream land.

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Superclam said:

I thought this season was a vast improvement on the last 2 (at least) up until that ridiculous "everyone falls into the same hole" ending. 

Three steps forward, four steps backward, they just can’t help themselves, 😤

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Get Ready For 48 Weeks Of ‘The Walking Dead’ A Year

2020 marks the arrival of The Walking Dead: World Beyond, a new show in the Walking Dead universe focused on a younger cast and communities that will feed into the other two shows to some degree.

It joins The Walking Dead, the main show, and Fear the Walking Dead, the first spin-off. Fear has seen sharp declines in both ratings and quality the last two seasons, and yet AMC has already confirmed season 6 is coming in 2020 as well. The Walking Dead ratings are 20% of what they were a few years ago, but with larger shifts to post-live viewing making that drop less severe. But still significant.

It’s not clear how many episodes of World Beyond are going to air in its first season. If it follows tradition, it might open with just a six episode first season like TWD and Fear both did. But if it continues to follow that path, it will expand into 16 episodes broken up into two, eight part half-seasons, also like the other two.

What this means is that if A) World Beyond gets 16 episode seasons, B) TWD and Fear remain un-cancelled and C) these are spread out like they are now, we are headed toward quite literally 48 out of 52 weeks of the year with a Walking Dead show airing on Sunday nights.

Is this…wise?

Don’t get me wrong, I am generally a big Walking Dead fan, and certainly more so now than ever with Angela Kang making the main show good again (Fear, meanwhile, is a disaster, but that’s an issue for another day). And yet this many Walking Dead episodes a year seems somewhat crazy, does it not?

This hits at something I've been mulling as AMC gears up to launch the third series in the franchise.  I still generally like the franchise more than many seem to at this point, but this is feeling like a huge commitment for an aging brand that's struggled in recent seasons to not be nigh unwatchable at times with the shows it already has.  

• Love 5

I barely watch TWD and FTWD now, and I certainly won't be watching a bunch of stupid young'uns on World Beyond.  

I think one of the main problems with this franchise is that there's not as much zombie food as there used to be in the early days.  It was always suspenseful to see who was going to be the next victim.  The focus now seems to be more about crazy villains like Alpha.   Not interesting.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I barely watch TWD and FTWD now, and I certainly won't be watching a bunch of stupid young'uns on World Beyond.  

I think one of the main problems with this franchise is that there's not as much zombie food as there used to be in the early days.  It was always suspenseful to see who was going to be the next victim.  The focus now seems to be more about crazy villains like Alpha.   Not interesting.

I stopped watching TWD, never watched FTWD.

Let me guess, all 3 shows will be about the protagonists fighting against other survivors, with zombies as the backdrop?

The heroes either vanquish or survive battles with the other groups and then go on to more battles with other groups.

Anyways, they must still bring in some of the highest ratings on AMC.  Maybe we could get more shows like Halt and Catch Fire and Killing Eve because of the WD shows.

Otherwise don't care.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

Get Ready For 48 Weeks Of ‘The Walking Dead’ A Year

This hits at something I've been mulling as AMC gears up to launch the third series in the franchise.  I still generally like the franchise more than many seem to at this point, but this is feeling like a huge commitment for an aging brand that's struggled in recent seasons to not be nigh unwatchable at times with the shows it already has.  

Does AMC have any alternatives, though?  I mean - even at the 20% mark, it’s not like AMC has anything in the pipe which is remotely close to TWD’s popularity.  I half-suspect TPTB continue to throw money at the TWD franchise simply because they’re out of options on anywhere else to throw it.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, scrb said:

Let me guess, all 3 shows will be about the protagonists fighting against other survivors, with zombies as the backdrop?

After ten years of the ZA, other people are really the only threat left, if little Judith, bless, can handle the undead with ease then where’s the threat? The only thing they could try is to have people dressed up as Walkers, then they’ll seem scary for a week or two.............oh wait!

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • LOL 3

TV Star Salaries Revealed: Reese Witherspoon, Chris Evans, Cardi B and the $1 Million Club
By MICHAEL SCHNEIDER  December 17, 2019
https://variety.com/2019/tv/features/tv-star-salaries-reese-witherspoon-cardi-b-chris-evans-1203439736/ 

Aniston is no stranger to a $1 million-per-episode salary, having pulled down a similar per-episode fee in the later seasons of “Friends.” Likewise, the stars of “The Big Bang Theory” earned that fee later in that show’s run. Norman Reedus, who’s now top of the call sheet on “The Walking Dead,” got a raise to $1 million per episode, as did the key “Game of Thrones” stars for the show’s final seasons. But those salaries came after huge ratings, lucrative syndication pacts and merchandising deals could justify such paydays. The difference now: The new $1 million club is made up of major stars securing that figure before a show even begins production.“Apple started this whole nonsense, which is great for us, but it is outrageous,” says one agent.

• Love 1

Issues I may personally have with pro athletes and entertainers making that kind of money aside, good for him if he can get it, I guess.  Them's the perks of hanging around a series long enough where there are few recognizable stars left.  I vaguely remember reading last season when Andy Lincoln left that Reedus and Melissa McBride were set to make serious bank by signing multiyear deals, so I suppose this is the end result.

I'd be curious to know how those few other Big Characters left are making out although I doubt the notoriously stingy AMC is shelling out anything close to comparable to say, Father Gabriel.  We know Lauren Cohen wasn't offered anything close to what she believed she was worth in the contract negotiations last year that led up to her exit.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

Issues I may personally have with pro athletes and entertainers making that kind of money aside, good for him if he can get it, I guess. 

If I could get paid that way for looking dirty and grunting out a few words, damned right I'd take it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

If I could get paid that way for looking dirty and grunting out a few words, damned right I'd take it.

Yeah and I'd sit around all dirty and funky and eat fake snake meat, too.

• LOL 2

Wife woke up feeling under the weather this morning and the forecast is cold and rainy all day, so we’re watching this game at home today.  Nobody wants a case of pneumonia for an early  Christmas present.  😞 

4 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I once bought a former roommate's immortal soul in exchange for a large cherry Coke.

Who came out better on that deal?  😄 

• LOL 3

They seem to be using the word "star" incredibly loosely there.  I had to google her only to find out that her character was a mostly silent Alexandria background extra in a handful of episodes in seasons 6 and 7 who was killed during the Saviors' bombing of the place while Carl was dying in season 8.  Would any of us even have remembered a character named Anna without the wiki?  I know I didn't.  I still have no memory of her.

In unrelated news, Glenn has been one of the answers on a pop culture polling page's Twitter today about worst character deaths, I guess of the decade.  A lot of the responses have made no bones about his death being what killed the show for them or where respondents just decided they were done.

1845302562_glennpoll.thumb.jpg.0031f01a3c238e3f1290a7c14ff069bb.jpg

• Love 1

Of those four, Glenn is maybe coming up short only to Poussey, where there is almost universal agreement that her death irretrievably killed Orange is the New Black in a way that it never recovered from.  The comparisons being made of the two are strong.  Lyanna Mormont at least got one of the only deaths in the final season of GOT that didn't feel like a cheap copout, but then I still can't think about that final season without wanting to rub the noses of everyone involved in the carpet like I remember my mom doing with her dog after he pissed there.

Well, I was going strictly on characters I liked the most. As far as how it affected the series, I agree that the show declined severely after Glen died. I would argue it declined with the first Glen death-fake out. 

I never watched past the first season of OITNB. As far as GoT, the less said about that final season the better. 

Yeah, a lot of the comments mentioned the dumpster fakeout as the beginning of the end.  It was just so cheap and gimmicky in a way that was the dress rehearsal for the big season ending "Here's Negan" cliffhanger absolutely no one asked for.  I'll never be convinced that it wouldn't have been better across the board for Glenn's death fakeout to have been the real deal. 

Sure being torn apart by walkers would have been an awful way to go, but he would have gone out trying to save someone, no matter how stupid the guy was being or how much he didn't deserve it.  That would have been true to Glenn's character and would have come before we had to watch him go from being the one person who'd never killed to letting himself be talked into killing people he didn't know in their sleep on the say-so of a guy they'd just met 5 minutes after Ricky G hung out the will murder for canned goods sign.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Superclam said:

Normally, I hate when people comment "Who?" on an article, I think it's lazy. But in this case, I can honestly say:  "Who?" 

Surely you remember ‘Anna’, third on the left behind that big tree!

0D396324-09F4-45E8-BA1A-401863DD3316.png

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • LOL 4
14 hours ago, Superclam said:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/walking-dead-star-vanessa-cloke-233920175.html

Normally, I hate when people comment "Who?" on an article, I think it's lazy. But in this case, I can honestly say:  "Who?" 

Even after seeing her picture I have no memory of ever seeing this "star" or hearing her name. There's a video of the incident with her crying and yelling about her boyfriend choosing his siblings over her or some such. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7824397/Walking-Dead-star-played-Anna-hit-series-arrested-lashing-woman.html

• Love 3
7 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

the fact remains the character ran off when the protagonists needed her the most.

That’s not exactly true, she left after the Saviour war had ended, she left before the Whisperers had been encountered, she left when Hilltop was a thriving community with a very capable No2, soon to become No 1 in charge, Jesus, with Tara bringing up a credible No 3 position.

Do I expect her return to be unproblematic? No way, she’s going to get abuse from all angles, obviously, but I’m hoping the writers will include benefits from her being away, which will impact positively upon the three remaining communities. I would think the trip was supposed to be mutually beneficial.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Even after seeing her picture I have no memory of ever seeing this "star" or hearing her name.

According to Wiki, she looked after Judith at one point, that’s the brat’s shoulder in picture above, but as nobody’s particularly interested i won’t bother posting a link 😂

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • LOL 1